Coronavirus

2,007,443 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Werewolf
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.healio.com/news/orthopedics/20210115/collegiate-athletes-may-benefit-from-a-shorter-quarantine-period-after-covid19-exposure?utm_source=selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news&M_BT=37352048074
caryking
The US State Department has released a fact sheet about the coronavirus. It's important to understand the beginnings of this virus...

https://www.state.gov/fact-sheet-activity-at-the-wuhan-institute-of-virology/

On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Mormad
Well isn't that interesting??? Thank you for finding and sharing that.
Oldsouljer
packgrad said:

Major league Duhhhh. I've been of the persuasion that this is the reality of things for the last nine months, because lockdowns fail tests of reason and logic on a number of fronts. However, there's a law of bureaucracy that demonstrates that bureaucrats will do anything to mask the reality of their failures. Good example is when the British PHS refused to let that baby come to the U.S. for lifesaving treatment after not providing the appropriate care at home. In the case of the CDC, pushing lockdowns and masks to look like they're doing something when they can't do anything else.
caryking
Mormad said:

Well isn't that interesting??? Thank you for finding and sharing that.
We all know this virus is bad! I think Pompeo and the State department identifies serious issues we all need to be concerned with...

One area Trump has been spot about is China. These folks are bad! I have dealt with international trade in China. These folks are not honest. This isn't me saying all Chinese people are dishonest. In fact, it's the complete opposite. The chosen people that are propped up by the China government, to do business, are typically Chinese Nationalist or CCP supporters.

Not an honest regime.

Joe Biden
caryking
Oldsouljer said:

packgrad said:

Major league Duhhhh. I've been of the persuasion that this is the reality of things for the last nine months, because lockdowns fail tests of reason and logic on a number of fronts. However, there's a law of bureaucracy that demonstrates that bureaucrats will do anything to mask the reality of their failures. Good example is when the British PHS refused to let that baby come to the U.S. for lifesaving treatment after not providing the appropriate care at home. In the case of the CDC, pushing lockdowns and masks to look like they're doing something when they can't do anything else.
One key point: the federal government didn't enforce any mandates, lockdowns, etc... they gave, as I understand, guideline, suggestions, etc...

Most draconian decisions were made in each state government. Furthermore, each was done with an executive order and violating, my opinion, constitutional protections.

Correct me if I misquoted something above...

Joe Biden
ciscopack
Not Made in China

Despite a persistent conspiracy theory that SARS-CoV-2 was developed in a lab, perhaps an infectious disease lab in Wuhan, there's no evidence to support the claim and plenty to counter it.

In March, a group of researchers found the virus most closely resembled existing bat viruses and was not man-made.

"Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus," they wrote in the prestigious journal Nature.

No new details have emerged since to change the author minds, said Dr. W. Ian Lipkin, one of the co-authors and a professor at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health.

Beginnings in a cave

The chain of events that led to the worst global pandemic in a century started with a tiny, insect-eating mammal with the mundane name, Intermediate Horseshoe bat.

The species is part of a family of bats that act as natural reservoirs for coronaviruses, notorious for how easily they mutate and how well they can be transmitted from species to species. The bats aren't bothered by the viruses. The animals they pass them onto aren't always so lucky.

Humans are one of those animals.

This happens all the time a virus harmlessly infects one creature then finds its way to another, mutates and becomes something new. The newly mutated virus can be insignificant but annoying (think common colds, some of which are caused by coronaviruses) or devastating and deadly (think smallpox.)
SARS-CoV-2 is a little of both.

A Horseshoe bat hangs from a net inside an abandoned Israeli army outpost next to the Jordan River in the occupied West Bank, on July 7, 2019.Menahem Kahana, AFP via Getty Images

As many as 40% of those who test positive for COVID-19 have no symptoms at all but 2% of people who get sick die. It's especially deadly in the elderly. COVID-19 has killed 1 of every 66 Americans older than 85. Among those infected, some percentage we don't yet know how many cope with crippling long-term symptoms that plague them for months. Future health impacts remain unknown.

The group of related coronaviruses giving rise to SARS-CoV-2 has existed for decades in bats and likely originated more than 40 years ago, said Dr. Charles Chiu, a professor and expert in viral genomics at the University of California, San Francisco.

SARS-CoV-2 shares 96% of its genetic material with a sample of coronavirus taken in 2013 in Intermediate Horseshoe bats from Yunnan province in China, which suggests the Yunnan virus is its ancestor. How the virus traveled the 1,200 miles from Yunnan to Wuhan remains unknown

Where did COVID-19 come from?
tuffy1006
Oldsouljer
pineknollshoresking said:

Oldsouljer said:

packgrad said:

One key point: the federal government didn't enforce any mandates, lockdowns, etc... they gave, as I understand, guideline, suggestions, etc...

Most draconian decisions were made in each state government. Furthermore, each was done with an executive order and violating, my opinion, constitutional protections.

No disagreement whatsoever. Didn't mean to imply that CDC had the power of policy implementation, though I know of some of their folks that probably think they do have broad powers currently employed by the states. It's convenient for them to have others do the dirty work. Similar situation in NC where Dr. Mengele, I mean Mandy, is constantly badgering local governments to be the Heavy.
caryking
ciscopack said:

Not Made in China

Despite a persistent conspiracy theory that SARS-CoV-2 was developed in a lab, perhaps an infectious disease lab in Wuhan, there's no evidence to support the claim and plenty to counter it.

In March, a group of researchers found the virus most closely resembled existing bat viruses and was not man-made.

"Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus," they wrote in the prestigious journal Nature.

No new details have emerged since to change the author minds, said Dr. W. Ian Lipkin, one of the co-authors and a professor at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health.

Beginnings in a cave

The chain of events that led to the worst global pandemic in a century started with a tiny, insect-eating mammal with the mundane name, Intermediate Horseshoe bat.

The species is part of a family of bats that act as natural reservoirs for coronaviruses, notorious for how easily they mutate and how well they can be transmitted from species to species. The bats aren't bothered by the viruses. The animals they pass them onto aren't always so lucky.

This happens all the time a virus harmlessly infects one creature then finds its way to another, mutates and becomes something new. The newly mutated virus can be insignificant but annoying (think common colds, some of which are caused by coronaviruses) or devastating and deadly (think smallpox.)

A Horseshoe bat hangs from a net inside an abandoned Israeli army outpost next to the Jordan River in the occupied West Bank, on July 7, 2019.Menahem Kahana, AFP via Getty Images

As many as 40% of those who test positive for COVID-19 have no symptoms at all but 2% of people who get sick die. It's especially deadly in the elderly. COVID-19 has killed 1 of every 66 Americans older than 85. Among those infected, some percentage we don't yet know how many cope with crippling long-term symptoms that plague them for months. Future health impacts remain unknown.

The group of related coronaviruses giving rise to SARS-CoV-2 has existed for decades in bats and likely originated more than 40 years ago, said Dr. Charles Chiu, a professor and expert in viral genomics at the University of California, San Francisco.

SARS-CoV-2 shares 96% of its genetic material with a sample of coronavirus taken in 2013 in Intermediate Horseshoe bats from Yunnan province in China, which suggests the Yunnan virus is its ancestor. How the virus traveled the 1,200 miles from Yunnan to Wuhan remains unknown

Fake news!!!

Why would YOUR State Department put out that statement on Friday (linked above)? They probably have better intelligence than the sources from YOUR news media, right?

Joe Biden
TheStorm
Oldsouljer said:

Oldsouljer said:

packgrad said:

No disagreement whatsoever. Didn't mean to imply that CDC had the power of policy implementation, though I know of some of their folks that probably think they do have broad powers currently employed by the states. It's convenient for them to have others do the dirty work. Similar situation in NC where Dr. Mengele, I mean Mandy, is constantly badgering local governments to be the Heavy.
Mandy looks like she is trying to position herself for a future run for office... I can see it coming from a mile away.
ciscopack

ciscopack said:

Not Made in China

Beginnings in a cave

Fake news!!!

Why would YOUR State Department put out that statement on Friday (linked above)? They probably have better intelligence than the sources from YOUR news media, right?
pineknollshoresKING.... you mean this?....

"The U.S. government does not know exactly where, when, or how the COVID-19 virus known as SARS-CoV-2 was transmitted initially to humans. We have not determined whether the outbreak began through contact with infected animals or was the result of an accident at a laboratory in Wuhan, China.

The virus could have emerged naturally from human contact with infected animals, spreading in a pattern consistent with a natural epidemic.
" ???????????????????????????

Now i would not doubt that Chinese ate infected bats because they eat bats. They may have even been experimenting but I doubt it, unless they were looking to kill Chinese people too?

I don't trust China, Russia or DJT for the record!

The story linked includes...
1. The Wuhan fish market, seen as a likely breeding ground for the virus, has been scrubbed and shuttered.

2. These are emerging diseases that breach the barrier between animals and humans and cause devastation in human populations

3. The U.S. has a very good system of reporting outbreaks, and rapidly publishes information in the CDC's journal, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly. The Chinese are not as transparent at reporting their public health information.

Increased transparency is one of several changes Lipkin recommends to avoid a repeat of the 2020 disaster.

Wild animal markets and consumption of wildlife continue to pose dangers, he said.

4. Connor said it's pointless to try to predict all the ways in which a virus now infecting animals could make the leap to humans. A much better approach, he said, is to focus on the viruses that do emerge.

"What matters is how good we are at responding quickly," he said.

5. In the meantime, public health measures to stop the spread masking, social distancing and handwashing are essential, experts repeat.

"We have to reduce the number of infections before the virus has a chance to mutate in such a way that it can evade drugs and vaccines," said Chiu. "That's what keeps me up at night."

6. Viruses, especially RNA viruses like coronaviruses, make tiny mistakes as they reproduce. One person's nose might contain 10 to a 100,000 copies of the virus, and with so many replications and so many mistakes, it's plausible chance mutations led to SARS-CoV-2

This media?...
.. Dr. W. Ian Lipkin, one of the co-authors and a professor at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
.. Dr. Charles Chiu, a professor and expert in viral genomics at the University of California, San Francisco.
.. Maciej Boni, a professor of biology at Pennsylvania State University's Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics, who spent almost a decade working in Asia
.. John Connor, a virologist at Boston University
.. Maciej Boni, a professor of biology at Pennsylvania State University's Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics
.. Stephen Morse, a professor of epidemiology at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health
.. Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases

Oldsouljer
TheStorm said:

Oldsouljer said:

Oldsouljer said:

packgrad said:

Mandy looks like she is trying to position herself for a future run for office... I can see it coming from a mile away.
Interesting, I didn't get that impression but who knows?
Daviewolf83
Coming out of the holiday weekend, here's the latest vaccination progress (based on reporting in the Bloomberg Vaccination Tracker):

US Vaccinations
Total Doses Distributed: 31,161,075
Doses Administered: 14,707,184
% of Doses Used: 47.2%

NC Vaccinations:
Total Doses Distributed: 999,650 (should have over 1M doses by the end of the week)
Doses Administered: 326,198
% of Doses Used: 32.6%

Currently, NC ranks 50th utilizing available vaccine doses. Based on the lags in updates on vaccination progress from NCDHHS, I suspect this number is higher than Bloomberg is reporting, so I would urge people to not react to this information. NCDHHS should be providing an update on progress later today and I will update, if they do provide this update as expected.

Below are the top 10 states for vaccine utilization:

North Dakota (77.1%)
West Virginia (74.8%)
New Mexico (67.2%)
Oregon (64.7%)
Kentucky (63.3%)
Michigan (63.1%)
Utah (63.0%)
South Dakota (61.0%)
Colorado (60.7%)
Texas (60.6%)
PackMom
Heard the new Wake County site crashed this morning.
Daviewolf83
As expected, NC has updated their vaccination tracking statistics today. Based on the update, here are the latest metrics:

NC Vaccinations:
Total Doses Distributed: 999,650 (not clear if this includes doses allocated for LTC)
Doses Administered: 458,914 (1st dose = 344,456 + 2nd dose = 60,073 + LTC = 54,385)
% of Doses Used: 45.9%

As expected, the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker reflected lagging data. With the latest update from NCDHHS, I expect them to update their tracker information. They have been very responsive in updating the numbers. As far as LTC is concerned, NC needs to work with Walgreens and CVS to try and get these numbers up significantly. Deaths from LTC facilities still account for approximately half of the total Covid-19 deaths in NC.

There is some good news in the demographics of those being vaccinated. The percentage of those receiving a vaccination that are 75+ is up to 37%. This is slightly more than double the percentage reported last week (18%). For those over the age of 65, the percentage is now 46% (it was 24% last week). So, vaccine doses are starting to reach the age groups most impacted by the virus with regards to deaths.
statefan91
Daviewolf83 said:

As expected, NC has updated their vaccination tracking statistics today. Based on the update, here are the latest metrics:

NC Vaccinations:
Total Doses Distributed: 999,650 (not clear if this includes doses allocated for LTC)
Doses Administered: 458,914 (1st dose = 344,456 + 2nd dose = 60,073 + LTC = 54,385)
% of Doses Used: 45.9%

As expected, the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker reflected lagging data. With the latest update from NCDHHS, I expect them to update their tracker information. They have been very responsive in updating the numbers. As far as LTC is concerned, NC needs to work with Walgreens and CVS to try and get these numbers up significantly. Deaths from LTC facilities still account for approximately half of the total Covid-19 deaths in NC.

There is some good news in the demographics of those being vaccinated. The percentage of those receiving a vaccination that are 75+ is up to 37%. This is slightly more than double the percentage reported last week (18%). For those over the age of 65, the percentage is now 46% (it was 24% last week). So, vaccine doses are starting to reach the age groups most impacted by the virus with regards to deaths.
Good movement. I got an alert that Charlotte Motor Speedway is opening up a vaccination super site and taking anyone 65+.

On another note, I donated convalescent plasma last Friday and am going to plan on doing it every other week as they let me.

Also, my Grandparents got their first vaccines this past Friday up in Brevard.
Daviewolf83
Daily Vaccination Update - The US continues to seeing improving numbers with regards to the number of doses administered. The CDC just updated their tracker and here are the details:

Total Doses Distributed: 35,990,150
Total Doses Administered: 16,525,281 (45.9% of available doses administered)
Total Receiving 1 or More Doses: 14,270,441
Total Receiving 2 Doses: 2,161,419

Weekly Increases:
12/23-12/30: +1.5m doses
12/30-1/6: +2.7m
1/6-1/13: +4.9m
1/13-1/20: +6.2m

As you can see from the week-over-week statistics, vaccination rates continue to increase. Hopefully, this coming week we will be closer to the 1m doses per day threshold. Week-over-week, we saw a 100,000 doses per day increase.
PackPA2015
Incredible news!
WolfQuacker
Daviewolf83 said:

Daily Vaccination Update - The US continues to seeing improving numbers with regards to the number of doses administered. The CDC just updated their tracker and here are the details:

Weekly Increases:

As you can see from the week-over-week statistics, vaccination rates continue to increase. Hopefully, this coming week we will be closer to the 1m doses per day threshold. Week-over-week, we saw a 100,000 doses per day increase.
Where were you finding the state by state data and rankings? I just looked at the CDC data available and man is it lacking granularity. I'd like to know the percentage like you've calculated above (easy enough for 1 state) but also where that falls on the list of all states and their percentages. Right now I'd have to do that calc x50 with hovering over each. Can you download the raw data maybe and I just can't find the link?

I can't even find the %positive testing data except how they want to group it into 10% buckets. Useless.
packgrad
Positivity will now fill the airwaves in regards to the progress in the pandemic. Hopefully normalcy happens soon.
WPNfamily
packgrad said:

Positivity will now fill the airwaves in regards to the progress in the pandemic. Hopefully normalcy happens soon.
I hope so. As soon as the mortality rates from long term care facilities begins to slow the whole picture will look much better. It is a very exciting time when it comes to fighting covid.
Daviewolf83
WolfQuacker said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Weekly Increases:

Where were you finding the state by state data and rankings? I just looked at the CDC data available and man is it lacking granularity. I'd like to know the percentage like you've calculated above (easy enough for 1 state) but also where that falls on the list of all states and their percentages. Right now I'd have to do that calc x50 with hovering over each. Can you download the raw data maybe and I just can't find the link?

I can't even find the %positive testing data except how they want to group it into 10% buckets. Useless.
For the state ranking data, I use the Bloomberg Vaccine Data Tracker. They have been providing some of the best and most accurate vaccination data. They are typically ahead of the CDC and the state agencies in releasing their data. The data I posted today came from the CDC website. I am tracking their weekly updates (update every Wednesday) to generate the weekly increases.

I will also pull data off the CDC tracking map, but as you pointed out, it can be a pain. The Bloomberg data is arranged much better.

You can reach the Bloomberg data at the link below:

Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker
Daviewolf83
WPNfamily said:

packgrad said:

I hope so. As soon as the mortality rates from long term care facilities begins to slow the whole picture will look much better. It is a very exciting time when it comes to fighting covid.
I agree. I have said for many months that the LTC facilities should be receiving all of the focus, since half of the Covid-19 deaths in NC (and other states) are coming from these facilities. To think you could cut deaths roughly in half by protecting these facilities and getting them the vaccines as quickly as possible.

NC is still lagging way behind in vaccinating these facilities. West Virginia and Connecticut have completed the first dose vaccinations in all of their LTC facilities and are now moving to second dose administration for these facilities. West Virginia decided to handle the vaccinations at the state level, instead of using the federal Walgreens/CVS plan.

In NC, I have seen data suggesting there are 130,000 people in LTC facilities in NC. So far, NC has seen 54,385 people in these facilities get doses of the vaccine. NC has been provided 165,900 vaccine doses specifically for these facilities. There are some challenges in vaccinating these facilities that cause the process to move slower than we would all like. These include having to get permission to vaccinate the residents and often times the permission has to come from a second party.
waynecountywolf
Trump had no Plan

"But in the immediate hours following Biden being sworn into office on Wednesday, sources with direct knowledge of the new administration's Covid-related work told CNN one of the biggest shocks that the Biden team had to digest during the transition period was what they saw as a complete lack of a vaccine distribution strategy under former President Donald Trump, even weeks after multiple vaccines were approved for use in the United States.
"There is nothing for us to rework. We are going to have to build everything from scratch," one source said.
Another source described the moment that it became clear the Biden administration would have to essentially start from "square one" because there simply was no plan as: "Wow, just further affirmation of complete incompetence." "

Plenty of blame to go around-Local/County, State, and Federal

packgrad
waynecountywolf said:

Trump had no Plan

"But in the immediate hours following Biden being sworn into office on Wednesday, sources with direct knowledge of the new administration's Covid-related work told CNN one of the biggest shocks that the Biden team had to digest during the transition period was what they saw as a complete lack of a vaccine distribution strategy under former President Donald Trump, even weeks after multiple vaccines were approved for use in the United States.
"There is nothing for us to rework. We are going to have to build everything from scratch," one source said.
Another source described the moment that it became clear the Biden administration would have to essentially start from "square one" because there simply was no plan as: "Wow, just further affirmation of complete incompetence." "

Anybody could have predicted this is what the Biden administration was going to say. They're coming in on the tail end when things are going in the right direction and going to try and take credit. Remarkable to think educated people really believe this propaganda. I guess vaccinations got approved faster than ever by themselves. I guess vaccinations sitting unused in states got shipped themselves. No plan. Lol.
Civilized
packgrad said:

waynecountywolf said:

Trump had no Plan

Anybody could have predicted this is what the Biden administration was going to say. They're coming in on the tail end when things are going in the right direction and going to try and take credit. Remarkable to think educated people really believe this propaganda. I guess vaccinations got approved faster than ever by themselves. I guess vaccinations sitting unused in states got shipped themselves. No plan. Lol.

It's in Biden's political interests to say the Trump administration had no coherent vaccine distribution plan.

The Trump administration had no coherent vaccine distribution plan.

Both those things are allowed to be true.

And there's significant circumstantial evidence that they are both true.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

waynecountywolf said:

Trump had no Plan

It's in Biden's political interests to say the Trump administration had no coherent vaccine distribution plan.

No, there isn't. Propaganda and hyperbole. CVS and Walgreens isn't a plan?
Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

waynecountywolf said:

Trump had no Plan

Are you really hiding behind "no plan" and "****ty and ineffective plan" being semantically different?

The outgoing administration had no plan equipped to appropriately address the scale, complexity, and importance of the task at hand. That's completely obvious.
Daviewolf83
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

waynecountywolf said:

Trump had no Plan

You are correct. CVS and Walgreens can be considered a plan, so it is incorrect for the new Biden administration to say there was no plan. I would also point out again that Project Warp Speed was never about the actual vaccination of people. It was specifically intended to fund rapid development and manufacture of vaccine candidates and to "distribute" them to the states, once vaccine candidates were approved for distribution. Per Operation Warp Speed, "distribution" by way of actual vaccinations were never part of the plan and I continue to see misinformation on this point in the media.

As to vaccinations, the Trump administration entered into agreements with CVS and Walgreens to handle the vaccination of LTC facilities. These agreements included the allocation of doses specifically intended for the vaccination of people in these facilities and no one else. For example, if you (someone not in LTC) tried to go to a CVS or Walgreens to get a Covid-19 vaccine, you would not receive one. You would be ineligible under the terms of the agreement between the federal government and CVS/Walgreens. These two pharmacies (along with others) are now starting to receive allocations from the state in many locations and these doses can be used on members of the general public.

I have suggested in the past that having Walgreens/CVS responsible for vaccinating LTC facilities was the wrong approach and I still believe this to be the case. The pharmacies do not have relationships with the LTC facilities and as such, are in no better position to supply vaccinations to LTC facilities than other entities. These pharmacies do a great job in providing a localized vaccination service to the general public, in a consumer-like approach. In my opinion, the better approach would have been to have the county health departments (in coordination with local health providers) handle vaccination of the LTC facilities and Walgreens/CVS (and other pharmacies) handle the vaccination of the general public.

As to the vaccination of the general population, the Trump administration left this up to individual states to manage. Personally, I believe this was the correct approach, since the states and the local health departments are in a better position than the federal government to organize vaccinations at the local level. As I have shown in numerous updates, many states have done very well with this initiative and sadly, many have not. Some of the states doing poorly are larger states, like NC and Georgia. However, some large states, such as Texas (57.7% of available vaccinations administered) are doing well, so it would be incorrect to say NC is doing poorly because they are a larger state than those doing well.

So, if "distribution" means Operation Warp Speed and the sending of vaccinations to the states, then the Trump administration did have a plan and I personally believe it has been successful. However, if "distribution" is defined as both distributing to the states AND having the federal government orchestrate/coordinate getting vaccinations into arms, it is accurate to say there was no plan. It comes down to how you define "distribution."
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

waynecountywolf said:

Trump had no Plan

Are you really hiding behind "no plan" and "****ty and ineffective plan" being semantically different?

The outgoing administration had no plan equipped to appropriately address the scale, complexity, and importance of the task at hand. That's completely obvious.

Thank you for reiterating my point.
waynecountywolf
packgrad said:

waynecountywolf said:

Trump had no Plan

No one criticized Warp Speed approval but the states need direction and funding- many states obviously cant do it. Few, but some are.
Cooper and Mandy are to blame as well in NC,along with the locals who did nothing to prepare the last months.).
waynecountywolf
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

waynecountywolf said:

Trump had no Plan

Not a good one-NO.
CVS and Walgreens obviously dont have the resources to accomplish this goal in a timely manner.
waynecountywolf
Daviewolf83 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

waynecountywolf said:

Trump had no Plan

You are correct. CVS and Walgreens can be considered a plan, so it is incorrect for the new Biden administration to say there was no plan. I would also point out again that Project Warp Speed was never about the actual vaccination of people. It was specifically intended to fund rapid development and manufacture of vaccine candidates and to "distribute" them to the states, once vaccine candidates were approved for distribution. Per Operation Warp Speed, "distribution" by way of actual vaccinations were never part of the plan and I continue to see misinformation on this point in the media.

As to vaccinations, the Trump administration entered into agreements with CVS and Walgreens to handle the vaccination of LTC facilities. These agreements included the allocation of doses specifically intended for the vaccination of people in these facilities and no one else. For example, if you (someone not in LTC) tried to go to a CVS or Walgreens to get a Covid-19 vaccine, you would not receive one. You would be ineligible under the terms of the agreement between the federal government and CVS/Walgreens. These two pharmacies (along with others) are now starting to receive allocations from the state in many locations and these doses can be used on members of the general public.

I have suggested in the past that having Walgreens/CVS responsible for vaccinating LTC facilities was the wrong approach and I still believe this to be the case. The pharmacies do not have relationships with the LTC facilities and as such, are in no better position to supply vaccinations to LTC facilities than other entities. These pharmacies do a great job in providing a localized vaccination service to the general public, in a consumer-like approach. In my opinion, the better approach would have been to have the county health departments (in coordination with local health providers) handle vaccination of the LTC facilities and Walgreens/CVS (and other pharmacies) handle the vaccination of the general public.

As to the vaccination of the general population, the Trump administration left this up to individual states to manage. Personally, I believe this was the correct approach, since the states and the local health departments are in a better position than the federal government to organize vaccinations at the local level. As I have shown in numerous updates, many states have done very well with this initiative and sadly, many have not. Some of the states doing poorly are larger states, like NC and Georgia. However, some large states, such as Texas (57.7% of available vaccinations administered) are doing well, so it would be incorrect to say NC is doing poorly because they are a larger state than those doing well.

So, if "distribution" means Operation Warp Speed and the sending of vaccinations to the states, then the Trump administration did have a plan and I personally believe it has been successful. However, if "distribution" is defined as both distributing to the states AND having the federal government orchestrate/coordinate getting vaccinations into arms, it is accurate to say there was no plan. It comes down to how you define "distribution."
Didnt WV break ranks and forego the CVS Walgreens relationship or work in conjunction with to get ahead with their LTC residents? Whatever they did, seemed to work in West Virginia.
packgrad
waynecountywolf said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

waynecountywolf said:

Trump had no Plan

Not a good one-NO.
CVS and Walgreens obviously dont have the resources to accomplish this goal in a timely manner.

So, it's rhetoric. Simple.

I think Davie is very fluent on the virus and handling of the virus, but I don't necessarily agree that his suggestion was the better way. Having a bit of familiarity with some health departments, I'm not certain going through them was the better solution. As with the vaccine, giving government less involvement in the process sped production up. I don't believe Trump administration giving mandates to individual health departments on vaccine distribution would have necessarily sped the process up. Simply put, politically, it was better to run it through pharmacies. His admin received pushback for every initiative they tried. There certainly wouldn't have been a collaborative effort to distribute. I personally believe there would have been many more roadblocks using government to distribute than the way it was handled.

Could there be more dialing it in as it goes/went? Yes. To insinuate there was no plan though is sheer propaganda.
First Page Last Page
Page 214 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.