Coronavirus

1,980,268 Views | 19754 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
Daviewolf83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today's daily vaccination update will look at both the US and how the US is doing in relation to the larger EU countries, the UK and Israel. While many states are still struggling in getting their populations vaccinated, the US is doing okay (not great) with regards to these other countries.

1. According to the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker, here are the numbers for the US and NC:

US Vaccinations
Total Doses Available: 35,990,150
Total Doses Administered: 17,176,247 (up slightly from yesterday's update)
% of Available Doses Administered: 47.4%

NC Vaccinations:
Total Doses Available: 1,118,250
Total Doses Administered: 458,914
% of Available Doses Administered: 41.0% <== ranks 46 out of 50

2. Here are the top 10 states, measured by the percentage of available doses administered:

North Dakota (80.9%)
West Virginia (69.1%)
New Mexico (67.7%)
South Dakota (65.2%)
Texas (57.7%)
Utah (56.9%)
Connecticut (56.5%)
Indiana (56.5%)
Vermont (56.2%)
New York (56.2%)

As you can see, lots of large states are doing well. It is no longer fair to say only small states are doing well in administering their available doses.

3. The following graph shows how the US is doing with regards to other countries in "efficiently" getting shots into arms. As you can see, the US is doing well, but still needs to make some significant improvement to equal the UK and a massive change in strategy to get to the level of Israel.

4. In raw doses of vaccinations, the US is doing better than all of the other countries. This is a credit to all of the people who are working 24/7 to get shots into arms and make the current distribution happen.

5. While the US has done a good job in getting millions vaccinated, we have a long way to go. The following graph shows how well the US and other countries are doing in getting the first dose into arms. This graph shows the percentage of the overall population to receive one dose.

6. The last graph shows the number of people who have received both doses and are now fully immunized against Covid-19.

wilmwolf
So the federal government is supposed to know which states need their hands held and which are competent enough to do what they were told and formulate viable plans for distribution? If roll out was consistently bad across the country, then you can make a case that it was the feds fault. But a large number of states have done a great job, so clearly it's possible. This isn't rocket science, you have x number of vaccines and x number of people that need it, and months to prepare. Competent state leadership should have no problem making that work, no matter if Kermit the frog was president.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Daviewolf83
waynecountywolf said:

Daviewolf83 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

waynecountywolf said:

Trump had no Plan

"But in the immediate hours following Biden being sworn into office on Wednesday, sources with direct knowledge of the new administration's Covid-related work told CNN one of the biggest shocks that the Biden team had to digest during the transition period was what they saw as a complete lack of a vaccine distribution strategy under former President Donald Trump, even weeks after multiple vaccines were approved for use in the United States.
"There is nothing for us to rework. We are going to have to build everything from scratch," one source said.
Another source described the moment that it became clear the Biden administration would have to essentially start from "square one" because there simply was no plan as: "Wow, just further affirmation of complete incompetence." "

Plenty of blame to go around-Local/County, State, and Federal

Anybody could have predicted this is what the Biden administration was going to say. They're coming in on the tail end when things are going in the right direction and going to try and take credit. Remarkable to think educated people really believe this propaganda. I guess vaccinations got approved faster than ever by themselves. I guess vaccinations sitting unused in states got shipped themselves. No plan. Lol.

It's in Biden's political interests to say the Trump administration had no coherent vaccine distribution plan.

The Trump administration had no coherent vaccine distribution plan.

Both those things are allowed to be true.

And there's significant circumstantial evidence that they are both true.

No, there isn't. Propaganda and hyperbole. CVS and Walgreens isn't a plan?
You are correct. CVS and Walgreens can be considered a plan, so it is incorrect for the new Biden administration to say there was no plan. I would also point out again that Project Warp Speed was never about the actual vaccination of people. It was specifically intended to fund rapid development and manufacture of vaccine candidates and to "distribute" them to the states, once vaccine candidates were approved for distribution. Per Operation Warp Speed, "distribution" by way of actual vaccinations were never part of the plan and I continue to see misinformation on this point in the media.

As to vaccinations, the Trump administration entered into agreements with CVS and Walgreens to handle the vaccination of LTC facilities. These agreements included the allocation of doses specifically intended for the vaccination of people in these facilities and no one else. For example, if you (someone not in LTC) tried to go to a CVS or Walgreens to get a Covid-19 vaccine, you would not receive one. You would be ineligible under the terms of the agreement between the federal government and CVS/Walgreens. These two pharmacies (along with others) are now starting to receive allocations from the state in many locations and these doses can be used on members of the general public.

I have suggested in the past that having Walgreens/CVS responsible for vaccinating LTC facilities was the wrong approach and I still believe this to be the case. The pharmacies do not have relationships with the LTC facilities and as such, are in no better position to supply vaccinations to LTC facilities than other entities. These pharmacies do a great job in providing a localized vaccination service to the general public, in a consumer-like approach. In my opinion, the better approach would have been to have the county health departments (in coordination with local health providers) handle vaccination of the LTC facilities and Walgreens/CVS (and other pharmacies) handle the vaccination of the general public.

As to the vaccination of the general population, the Trump administration left this up to individual states to manage. Personally, I believe this was the correct approach, since the states and the local health departments are in a better position than the federal government to organize vaccinations at the local level. As I have shown in numerous updates, many states have done very well with this initiative and sadly, many have not. Some of the states doing poorly are larger states, like NC and Georgia. However, some large states, such as Texas (57.7% of available vaccinations administered) are doing well, so it would be incorrect to say NC is doing poorly because they are a larger state than those doing well.

So, if "distribution" means Operation Warp Speed and the sending of vaccinations to the states, then the Trump administration did have a plan and I personally believe it has been successful. However, if "distribution" is defined as both distributing to the states AND having the federal government orchestrate/coordinate getting vaccinations into arms, it is accurate to say there was no plan. It comes down to how you define "distribution."
Didnt WV break ranks and forego the CVS Walgreens relationship or work in conjunction with to get ahead with their LTC residents? Whatever they did, seemed to work in West Virginia.
Yes - WV did break ranks and did not use CVS/Walgreens.
TheStorm
My 75yo Mother-in-Law told me yesterday that she's been told that in order to receive the vaccine, she has to show a picture ID, proving who she is and her age... Guilford County... funny how that works, isn't it?

Just think about all those poor people out there that don't have access to obtaining a picture ID, that now won't be able to get vaccinated for covid...
waynecountywolf
TheStorm said:

My 75yo Mother-in-Law told me yesterday that she's been told that in order to receive the vaccine, she has to show a picture ID, proving who she is and her age... Guilford County... funny how that works, isn't it?

Just think about all those poor people out there that don't have access to obtaining a picture ID, that now won't be able to get vaccinated for covid...
I have seen this as well.
However some counties are not according to some first hand reports. I guess when Mandy said NC was going to use the "honor system", she spoke too soon.
Daviewolf83
TheStorm said:

Yet, in the District of Columbia, they consider people who smoke to be a person with a "chronic" condition and as such, they get to move to the front of the line and get vaccinated now. I guess they just have to show a pack of cigarettes.
statefan91
TheStorm said:

Not sure if you're being serious but assume you're supportive of a free identification card available for anyone that could be used for purposes like this, voting, etc?
packgrad
statefan91 said:

TheStorm said:

Not sure if you're being serious but assume you're supportive of a free identification card available for anyone that could be used for purposes like this, voting, etc?

We already have that.
packgrad
Daviewolf83 said:

TheStorm said:

Yet, in the District of Columbia, they consider people who smoke to be a person with a "chronic" condition and as such, they get to move to the front of the line and get vaccinated now. I guess they just have to show a pack of cigarettes.

And New Jersey.
Civilized
wilmwolf80 said:

So the federal government is supposed to know which states need their hands held and which are competent enough to do what they were told and formulate viable plans for distribution? If roll out was consistently bad across the country, then you can make a case that it was the feds fault. But a large number of states have done a great job, so clearly it's possible. This isn't rocket science, you have x number of vaccines and x number of people that need it, and months to prepare. Competent state leadership should have no problem making that work, no matter if Kermit the frog was president.

It's not about hand-holding.

It's largely about funding and staffing.

Many/most state and local health departments don't have the funding or staffing to achieve the intended goal on schedule.
PackPA2015
Civilized said:

wilmwolf80 said:

It's not about hand-holding.

It's largely about funding and staffing.

Many/most state and local health departments don't have the funding or staffing to achieve the intended goal on schedule.
That last statement has a lot of truth to it. The health departments in a lot of areas are struggling with planning and executing said plan.

Our local health department just had to shut down for practically a month due to COVID going through their staff. They had to outsource testing completely which was a you know what show in and of itself. Vaccines and testing were both put on hold. Also, our health department has not reached out to our local hospital or any local clinics for help with staffing and administering vaccines. It has been a struggle to say the least.
PackPA2015
An interesting study of using bamlanivimab in nursing home residents and staff to lower mortality rates. There is another article about it in the Wall Street Journal if any of you have full access to that.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/lilly-drug-prevent-covid-19-illness-nursing-homes-75401721
WolfQuacker
Daviewolf83 said:

WolfQuacker said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Daily Vaccination Update - The US continues to seeing improving numbers with regards to the number of doses administered. The CDC just updated their tracker and here are the details:

Total Doses Distributed: 35,990,150
Total Doses Administered: 16,525,281 (45.9% of available doses administered)
Total Receiving 1 or More Doses: 14,270,441
Total Receiving 2 Doses: 2,161,419

Weekly Increases:
12/23-12/30: +1.5m doses
12/30-1/6: +2.7m
1/6-1/13: +4.9m
1/13-1/20: +6.2m

As you can see from the week-over-week statistics, vaccination rates continue to increase. Hopefully, this coming week we will be closer to the 1m doses per day threshold. Week-over-week, we saw a 100,000 doses per day increase.
Where were you finding the state by state data and rankings? I just looked at the CDC data available and man is it lacking granularity. I'd like to know the percentage like you've calculated above (easy enough for 1 state) but also where that falls on the list of all states and their percentages. Right now I'd have to do that calc x50 with hovering over each. Can you download the raw data maybe and I just can't find the link?

I can't even find the %positive testing data except how they want to group it into 10% buckets. Useless.
For the state ranking data, I use the Bloomberg Vaccine Data Tracker. They have been providing some of the best and most accurate vaccination data. They are typically ahead of the CDC and the state agencies in releasing their data. The data I posted today came from the CDC website. I am tracking their weekly updates (update every Wednesday) to generate the weekly increases.

I will also pull data off the CDC tracking map, but as you pointed out, it can be a pain. The Bloomberg data is arranged much better.

You can reach the Bloomberg data at the link below:

Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker
TY Sir!
wilmwolf
"Also, our health department has not reached out to our local hospital or any local clinics for help with staffing and administering vaccines. "

Is there a why that accompanies this? Are they waiting for the federal government to tell them they need to reach out and get help when they clearly are struggling to accomplish the goal? I understand that the local health departments may be understaffed and under budgeted. I have a family member who is a county director of public health in the western part of the state, I'm very familiar with their limitations. I just don't think that the federal government is to blame for that, when it's clearly the state government's responsibility. I don't understand why we can't just acknowledge that the state of North Carolina has done a ****ty job with the vaccine without blaming it on the feds.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
waynecountywolf
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/03/kushner-coronavirus-testing-oscar-company/609139/

On March 13, President Donald Trump promised Americans they would soon be able to access a new website that would ask them about their symptoms and direct them to nearby coronavirus testing sites. He said Google was helping.

That wasn't true. But in the following days, Oscar Healtha health-insurance company closely connected to Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushnerdeveloped a government website with the features the president had described. A team of Oscar engineers, project managers, and executives spent about five days building a stand-alone website at the government's request, an Oscar spokesperson told The Atlantic. The company even dispatched two employees from New York to meet in person with federal officials in Washington, D.C., the spokesperson said. Then the website was suddenly and mysteriously scrapped........

Oscar's creation more closely resembled the website Trump described on March 13. The site would "determine whether a test is warranted and facilitate testing at a nearby convenient location," Trump said, adding that Google had 1,700 engineers working on the project. Google, it was quickly revealed, didn't have any such plans.
Google's parent company is a major investor in Oscar. And Oscar, which has roughly 1,500 employees, did build a site like the one Trump described.
The White House declined to comment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/us/politics/trump-google-coronavirus.html

Vice President Mike Pence told reporters on Saturday that "the objective here is to have a website up very quickly," and promised that more details about the partnership with Google would be revealed on Sunday. He said the website would initially be used "in the areas that have been deeply impacted Washington State, California, New York."

Mr. Trump has repeatedly made statements about efforts to combat the virus that are wrong. Even as testing was severely limited, he said that "anyone who wants a test can get one."

statefan91
Not sure what PPE / supplies look like, but can't hurt to have supplies in excess:

PackPA2015
I have no idea. Myself and other providers in our area have reached out to them to offer our services and they have declined.

I am not saying this was necessarily a fed issue. I was just trying to provide an example of why Civilized's last statement has truth to it.
wnosaj83
waynecountywolf said:

TheStorm said:

However some counties are not according to some first hand reports. I guess when Mandy said NC was going to use the "honor system", she spoke too soon.

My in-laws live in a low populous county. The "walk up" vaccine operation there is giving out vaccine doses (when they have them) to anyone who walks up. The people working the the operation apparently have said that they've "have to use these doses before they go bad" and the locals who are eligible are just not showing up.
I do get the "use it or lose it" mindset here but there is a failing somewhere. If this county gets a certain amount of doses for their eligible population, and then a large segment of that population doesn't show up to receive it, shouldn't those does be reallocated before they expire? I'm not familiar with the vaccine shelf life.
waynecountywolf
wnosaj83 said:

waynecountywolf said:

TheStorm said:

My in-laws live in a low populous county. The "walk up" vaccine operation there is giving out vaccine doses (when they have them) to anyone who walks up. The people working the the operation apparently have said that they've "have to use these doses before they go bad" and the locals who are eligible are just not showing up.
I do get the "use it or lose it" mindset here but there is a failing somewhere. If this county gets a certain amount of doses for their eligible population, and then a large segment of that population doesn't show up to receive it, shouldn't those does be reallocated before they expire? I'm not familiar with the vaccine shelf life.
Many folks are signing up in multiple counties to see who calls them with an appointment first.I dont blame those people at all but wonder if that throws off the numbers for the day when they dont show up.
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

I have no idea. Myself and other providers in our area have reached out to them to offer our services and they have declined.

I am not saying this was necessarily a fed issue. I was just trying to provide an example of why Civilized's last statement has truth to it.
Thanks for the insight. Based on this information, it seems the health department is poorly managed (I'm actually being kind). I am not sure how the federal government would help in this case, if NC's own state agency (NCDHHS) is unable to help. Mandy has said in past updates they are available to the local health departments and stand ready to assist with staffing and other needs. Seems like there is a communication breakdown between the local health department and the state agency. In the end, the residents of the county are suffering.

I wonder how many people know they do not have to rely on their local health departments for vaccines? I suspect this is not commonly known, so it should be communicated as much as possible. If you or anyone you know of is having trouble obtaining a vaccine from their local agency, they should consider going to another location for the vaccine. People are not restricted to their local agency/health departments.
packgrad
wilmwolf80 said:

"Also, our health department has not reached out to our local hospital or any local clinics for help with staffing and administering vaccines. "

Is there a why that accompanies this? Are they waiting for the federal government to tell them they need to reach out and get help when they clearly are struggling to accomplish the goal? I understand that the local health departments may be understaffed and under budgeted. I have a family member who is a county director of public health in the western part of the state, I'm very familiar with their limitations. I just don't think that the federal government is to blame for that, when it's clearly the state government's responsibility. I don't understand why we can't just acknowledge that the state of North Carolina has done a ****ty job with the vaccine without blaming it on the feds.
You know why some can't acknowledge that.
PackMom
TheStorm said:

We're supposed to go get ours tomorrow - in Guilford County - and our confirmation said ID was not required, nor was insurance, but if we had insurance to please bring our cards.
Daviewolf83
PackMom said:

TheStorm said:

We're supposed to go get ours tomorrow - in Guilford County - and our confirmation said ID was not required, nor was insurance, but if we had insurance to please bring our cards.
Good news. I hope the process goes smoothly and you have minimal to no side effects with the vaccine.
statefan91
My parents (both in the 65+ range) have been able to get scheduled for week of 2/2 in Charlotte
PackPA2015
I can definitely say our health department is poorly managed. They have been throughout the entire COVID process. But, they are the only ones with the vaccine in our county so far. We have one CVS and one Walgreens in our county that have vaccines ordered, but have yet to receive them. So not a lot of help all around.
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

My parents (both in the 65+ range) have been able to get scheduled for week of 2/2 in Charlotte
My dad (67) got his first dose today. Grandma (90) scheduled for Saturday

Both brothers work in hospitals (Doctor and Pharmacist) and have had both doses.
PackMom
Hope they all did well with few/no side effects. My aunt is 90+ and lives in a retirement community in Alamance County and she said they all got their first shot a week or so back. She had a slightly sore arm but no other problems.

Thanks, Daviewolf!
IseWolf22
Daviewolf83 said:

TheStorm said:

I read they've also opened it up for anyone with a BMI over 25, which is even dumber. A 6'0 man only needs to be 185 pounds to reach that.

There are plenty of people over that mark just due to muscle (BMI is a bad metric in general). And there isn't a good correlation on weight being a risk factor until you're significantly heavier.
IseWolf22
PackMom said:

Hope they all did well with few/no side effects. My aunt is 90+ and lives in a retirement community in Alamance County and she said they all got their first shot a week or so back. She had a slightly sore arm but no other problems.

Thanks, Daviewolf!
Brothers had mild fever and chills for a couple hours the next day. Otherwise they were fine. I can report back on Dad and Grandma later
Steve Williams
Staff
This should be interesting to track. Didn't we just rejoin the WHO?

AlleyPack
Have any of you in the medical field heard/seen any instances of people with elevated heart rates after getting the vaccine shot? (and prolonged -- like for multiple days)

thanks
acslater1344
wilmwolf80 said:

Feds should be in a project management type of role IMO. They're the only entity with insight into what's working in certain states versus what isn't. Now, the states that are doing a poor job of administering shots are primarily to blame for sure, but if the Fed Gov't had a team of capable PMPs, they'd be able to get those states moving in a better direction. Biden & Co need to get that figured out, ASAP.
PackPA2015
AlleyPack said:

Have any of you in the medical field heard/seen any instances of people with elevated heart rates after getting the vaccine shot? (and prolonged -- like for multiple days)

thanks

Yes, we have had several patients have that. Typically it resolves on its own after 2-3 days. The longest I have seen it last is 1 week. Usually, it is benign and has no ill effects for the short- or long-term. But, if it is lasting longer than 1 week, they should definitely go to their PCP.
Daviewolf83
acslater1344 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Feds should be in a project management type of role IMO. They're the only entity with insight into what's working in certain states versus what isn't. Now, the states that are doing a poor job of administering shots are primarily to blame for sure, but if the Fed Gov't had a team of capable PMPs, they'd be able to get those states moving in a better direction. Biden & Co need to get that figured out, ASAP.
Maybe I should apply. I have been a project manager for over 20 years and am a PMP as well. I've been a PMP since 1999. I also had to go through an additional certification step with the company I worked for at the time to stay in my PM job classification and it was more thorough than the PMP certification criteria. On top of this, I have an undergraduate degree in Industrial Engineering, so I do know a thing or two about processes and systems.

This is one of the reasons I have been so frustrated with how NC and other states have handled the vaccine rollout. I see so many areas that can be improved. I agree the Biden administration now has the responsibility to get it figured out, but I am not expecting miracles and changes overnight. I hope a fresh set of eyes will accelerate the vaccination rate even more.

The good news - the US is tracking to achieve 1M vaccinations per day and based on the current trajectory, they should achieve this in the next week (assuming nothing changes to interrupt supply). President Biden's plan to hit 100 million vaccinations in 100 days is very doable and it should be "sleeves out of his vest" at this point.

I am tracking the daily administration of vaccine doses and by late next week, I will begin posting a graph showing how the US and NC are doing with regards to these goals. To achieve the goals, the US needs to be vaccinating 1M people per day and NC needs to be vaccinating 32,000 people per day. By 5/1, the US needs to have at least 100M doses in people's arms vaccinated and NC needs to have 3.2M vaccination doses completed. This is in addition to the 17M doses the US has already administered and the 460K doses NC has administered.
TheStorm
PackMom said:

TheStorm said:

Understood, but don't you live in Wake and someone made special arrangements for you to get one in Guilford?

My mother-in-law is just a regular public citizen and that is what the Health Department or whatever the county entity that is handling the shots in High Point informed her... just yesterday.
First Page Last Page
Page 215 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.