Coronavirus

2,001,015 Views | 19842 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by Werewolf
PackPA2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Update on the hospital system we are associated with:

COVID inpatient numbers have risen from averaging 190 to now averaging around 240 over the past 2 weeks. Testing around 2000-2500 per day at a drive-thru clinic.
statefan91
WolfQuacker
Lost a good family friend today to Covid. She was a godsend for my mother after my father passed a few years back. Yes, she had other health issues, but was doing fine until she contracted Covid and went downhill pretty fast. Terrible disease... please take precautions and get vaccinated as soon as possible.
Mormad
Sorry, bud. That really sucks
Mormad
Got the second shot yesterday. Kicked my butt purty good for a few hours.
ncsualum05
Mormad said:

Got the second shot yesterday. Kicked my butt purty good for a few hours.
Keep us posted I think you're about the first I've seen on here that's had the second shot. Sorry if I've missed others.
JasonNCSU
Yeah, the second shot had my wife feeling "off" for a few days even after the initial wave of fever, chills, headache and body ache passed...
PackMom
Mormad, hope you're feeling better.

Saw my oncologist yesterday and he'd had his second shot the day before with no problems, but had a doctor neighbor who had it Monday and was pretty miserable on Tuesday.

He told me if I can find one, I should get it.
910wolf
The wife got her second shot first thing this morning. She texted me about a hour ago and said she is starting to feel it.
Mormad
PackMom said:

Saw my oncologist yesterday and he'd had his second shot the day before with no problems, but had a doctor neighbor who had it Monday and was pretty miserable on Tuesday.

Aleve wearing off. Body aches, chills, and fatigue coming back. About half my partners and wife did great, about half and my nurse feel like crap. Seems to last 1-2 days. Hope it means the first shot built some antibodies.

I think i can get you one at Cone. Let me work on it tomorrow and maybe we can get you started next week? I would like for you to be protected since your doc has signed off
packgrad
Mormad said:

PackMom said:

Aleve wearing off. Body aches, chills, and fatigue coming back. About half my partners and wife did great, about half and my nurse feel like crap. Seems to last 1-2 days. Hope it means the first shot built some antibodies.

I think i can get you one at Cone. Let me work on it tomorrow and maybe we can get you started next week? I would like for you to be protected since your doc has signed off

IPS for the win.
Civilized
Mormad said:

PackMom said:

AlleyPack
Mormad said:

PackMom said:

EasternStyleBBQ, that you?...
(sorry, bad PP joke... but I couldn't resist)

Glad you seem to be doing well, Mormad.
PackMom
You are more than generous. You should focus on getting better for now, though. Thank you so much.
ciscopack
100,000 Americans expected to die of Covid-19 over the next 3 weeks. Damn. I guessed 400,000 in 1 year (1st death to 1 year later) about July; looks like that will get blown out of the water.

The US just suffered its worst day ever for Covid-19 deaths. But this summer could be 'dramatically better'

Covid-19 is now killing faster than at any point in 2020. And the new year just started.

The US reported its highest number of Covid-19 deaths in one day Tuesday: 4,327, according to Johns Hopkins University.

In fact, the five highest daily tallies for new infections and new deaths have all occurred in 2021.

Over the past week, the US has averaged more than 3,300 deaths every day, a jump of more than 217% from mid-November.

Wayland
CLI showing % decrease in CLI ED visits for the first time since October. Finally some positive signs, hope things follow next week as well. National trends have shown hospitalizations levelling recently.

Seasonality.

https://files.nc.gov/covid/documents/dashboard/Weekly-COVID19-Surveillance.pdf

On a side note we are up to 4 flu deaths out of a total of 28 identified cases statewide (for the entire season). 14% CFR for the Flu right now in NC....

PackPA2015
Wayland said:

CLI showing % decrease in CLI ED visits for the first time since October. Finally some positive signs, hope things follow next week as well. National trends have shown hospitalizations levelling recently.

Seasonality.

On a side note we are up to 4 flu deaths out of a total of 28 identified cases statewide (for the entire season). 14% CFR for the Flu right now in NC....

We can all hope that trend continues for sure. Thanks for sharing! I would caution though on the seasonality descriptor. We also thought cases would level down in the summer with warmer weather and that was definitely not the case as things began to ramp up at that time. Hopefully, these stable/lower trends will continue with increased vaccination rates.

I work in region 6 and the continued increase in hospitalizations makes complete sense. We now have 4 out of 6 (I forgot 1 in my original post on hospitals) hospitals within an hour drive that are now unable to take new ER patients. Luckily, our heart/trauma center is still accepting patients or we would be in a big world of trouble with non-COVID stuff.
Wayland
PackPA2015 said:

Wayland said:

Seasonality.

We can all hope that trend continues for sure. Thanks for sharing! I would caution though on the seasonality descriptor. We also thought cases would level down in the summer with warmer weather and that was definitely not the case as things began to ramp up at that time. Hopefully, these stable/lower trends will continue with increased vaccination rates.

I work in region 6 and the continued increase in hospitalizations makes complete sense. We now have 4 out of 6 (I forgot 1 in my original post on hospitals) hospitals within an hour drive that are now unable to take new ER patients. Luckily, our heart/trauma center is still accepting patients or we would be in a big world of trouble with non-COVID stuff.

I appreciate we had a 'summer peak', but now that we are in true respiratory season, let's appreciate the difference in what happened in the summer vs what is happening now.

Those 'summer peaks' are barely noticeable. Certainly virus was growing in the community but we are talking apples and oranges here.

PackPA2015
That's certainly a fair point and I hope you are correct for sure. We are all so tired of dealing with this virus. I would just not put all my hope in the seasonality basket just yet. We assumed there would be a peak roughly 2 weeks after New Years and we saw that. It may be lower over the next couple of weeks just due to lack of formal large gatherings like we would typically see with Christmas and New Years. It could continue to decrease with improved vaccination rates. Only time will tell. Let's all hope for the better.
Pacfanweb
Mormad said:

PackMom said:

Okay, this is one of the best things I've seen on a message board.
Mormad
https://www.docwirenews.com/cardiology/myocarditis-covid-19-athletes-cardiac-magnetic-resonance-screening
packgrad
Tobaccoroadsportscafe
Mormad said:

https://www.docwirenews.com/cardiology/myocarditis-covid-19-athletes-cardiac-magnetic-resonance-screening/?utm_source=MagnetMail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=DAVID.JONES@CNSA.COM&utm_content=DocWire%20News%20Daily%20Edition%2D01%2D15&utm_campaign=Low%20Prevalence%20of%20Myocarditis%20in%20Athletes%20Recovered%20from%20COVID%2D19

Great news.
Daviewolf83
Here are my two-cents on hospitalizations, seasonality, and what the next couple of months MIGHT look like. I have used hospitalizations to show what is happening, since they are a very good measure of the growth in Covid-19 infections. Using daily cases can work to an extent, but there are other factors that can make the case data more messy and requires further data scrubbing to make it usable for this analysis.

I do believe, based on the curves below that there is a seasonality effect driving a lot of the infection and hospitalizations we have been experiencing. Seasonality as it relates to the US is due to the following:

1. The weather turns cold and people stay inside more. Dr. Ohl, the infectious disease physician from Baptist health discussed this a month or so ago. As he pointed out, respiratory viruses love it when people move to more inside activities during the colder months. The reasons being - reduced ventilation and airflow (airflow and ventilation are enemies to respiratory viruses) and heated spaces. Heated spaces dry out the air and viruses prefer dry air to more humid air.

2. The US has a couple of big holidays at Thanksgiving and Christmas, where a large number of people travel and move around the country. Yes, other countries have Christmas, but the US is unique in having two large holidays packed closely together on the calendar. For both of these holidays, people have a tradition of travel. The day before Thanksgiving is the number one travel day in the year for a reason.

As you can see from the chart below, the total number of people hospitalized due to Covid-19 began to increase at the current rate in late October and early November, a few weeks prior to the Thanksgiving travel period. What drove this increase? Most likely, it was the same reason we see the flu begin to rise during this period - it started to get cold enough that people moved inside and they started to seek heated spaces.

On the graph, the rate of the upward trend in hospitalizations continues as NC and the US in general go through the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years holidays. These holidays and their associated travel and family/group gathering activities continue to drive infections well into the first of this year.

As Wayland has pointed out, there is a strong seasonality effect that is driving a lot of the rise in total infections. We were warned months ago by Dr. Fauci and others that this would happen and it has. At the time, they were concerned about flu layered on top of Covid-19 infections, but they were clear there would be a seasonal aspect to infection increases. PackPA is also correct in pointing out that we expected Covid-19 infections to decline in the warmer months in the late Spring and Summer and they did not decline as much as expected. While I do believe we did see a decline in late Summer due to seasonality (the data does show a decline starting in late July), it was not as much as many had hoped or expected.

Looking at flu infection charts for NC for the past several years (example shown below), the level of infection and hospitalizations peaks in early to mid-February. Since Covid-19, being an airborne respiratory virus, it does appear to be driven by the same seasonality factors. I am hopeful we will see a similar peaking and decline in roughly the same period. Combined with the increases we should continue to see in vaccinations of the population, particularly vaccinating those contributing most to hospitalizations (70% of those hospitalized are 60+), should help to reduce the level of hospitalizations in the coming weeks. I am hopeful and optimistic we will begin to see the hospitalizations peak and begin to decline by mid-February. The bad news is this - we have another 4 to 5 weeks of high hospitalizations ahead of us.

I fully recognize I am not an epidemiologist and my analysis may be totally wrong, but I wanted to provide some thoughts and insight into the data trends and why they may be happening in this way.

Daily Hospitalizations and Percentage of Covid-19 Infected Hospitalized:

NC Influenza Surveillance - 2016 through 2019:
Daviewolf83
As an addendum to my previous post, the following is a graph that shows the daily rate of growth in daily hospitalizations. It is a logarithmic plot with a 7-day trendline applied to the data. While the rate of daily hospitalizations continues to increase, there does appear to be some slowing and slight flattening in the recent growth rate. Let's hope the flatten does occur and we eventually see the growth rate head back down in the coming days and weeks.

PackPA2015
Awesome analysis brother! Thanks again!
statefan91
statefan91 said:

Tobaccoroadsportscafe said:

Awesome. I tested positive 17 days ago and feel much better now. Any idea how long you have to wait before you can donate blood?

Also, how is your friends mom doing?

I think they said 14 days after symptoms subside. Glad to hear you're feeling better! I donate through Blood Connection and know that Red Cross is doing plasma too.

Friends mom has been in hospital and moved to ICU for a few days. She's back in normal area now and they think can be discharged by weekend with someone coming daily to check on her and her oxygen treatment.
Friends mom is on track to be discharged today
PackMom
statefan91 said:

statefan91 said:

That's good news!

ncsualum05, how is your grandfather doing?
TheStorm
Mormad said:

Sorry, bud. That really sucks
Had one of my old fraternity brothers that lives in GSO, have his mother pass away Sunday evening in an LTC in Alamance County. Said he and his sister were told when she tested positive that she was asymptomatic, and if I understood him correctly, she survived another couple of weeks and was supposedly recovering and then all of a sudden didn't.

Pretty similar situation to my mother in that she had severe dementia, etc... said he hadn't been able to visit her since January of last year (the facility was proactive and suspended visitors early in the game before everything shut down)... said that a staff member tested positive right before Christmas and then it spread like wildfire.

Place is being run more by outside contractors than anything else right now as so much of the regular staff is currently positive. He also indicated that no one ever discussed the opportunity to hospitalize her with either of them, they were expecting some guidance from the facility there but didn't get it... said they weren't even told that she was dying until after she was gone, so that hit him a little harder I guess as far as being somewhat prepared for it.

I think it comes down to the fact that some of these people in these LTC facilities are just very, very, very old and it doesn't take much... but that's two specific instances that I now have knowledge of the resident still dying from covid even though they are (supposedly at least) asymptomatic.

Just wondered if you are starting to see more of that yet?
PackMom
We saw something on the news about people (not necessarily old or unhealthy) who had few to no symptoms, but ended up with serious lung damage. I didn't see the whole thing but I wonder if that's what's happening to some of these people.

ncsualum05
PackMom said:

statefan91 said:

statefan91 said:

That's good news!

ncsualum05, how is your grandfather doing?
He's at Forsyth still (checked in Wed.) and having an ERCP at 1pm today. They'll hopefully find out soon what's going on. He did have pancreatitis as well when he checked in but I think they've got that under control now. Should know much more this weekend.

I didn't post b/c it wasn't COVID related but thank you for asking.
Daviewolf83
Here's my daily vaccination update (based on reporting in the Bloomberg Vaccination Tracker):

US Vaccinations
Total Doses Distributed: 30,628,175
Doses Administered: 11,869,478
% of Doses Used: 38.8%

NC Vaccinations:
Total Doses Distributed: 969,200 (should have over 1M doses by early next week)
Doses Administered: 326,198 (significant increase from the last update)
% of Doses Used: 33.6%

So NC is still trailing the national average for percentage of doses used, but they have made some significant progress in the past several days. Some of this is like due to improvements in data reporting, but it is likely also due to some more focused efforts on getting shots in arms. We do know there are reports of issues with NC's vaccine tracking system that have delayed reporting, so I am hopeful these increases reflect improvements in this area.

From a national standpoint, the following states are in the top 10 for utilizing their available doses.

West Virginia (78.6%)
North Dakota (71.3%)
South Dakota (61.4%)
Rhode Island (57.2%)
Louisiana (54.4%)
Connecticut (52.3%)
Utah (49.7%)
Texas (49.6%) <== Texas has now vaccinated over 1M people
New Mexico (49.1%)
Maine (48.6%)

NC ranks in the bottom 10 (41st) in utilizing their vaccine doses.

I will point out that West Virginia decided not to use CVS/Walgreens to handle their immunization efforts in the LTC facilities and while they were originally ridiculed, it appears to have been a very good decision. As I reported earlier, they have vaccinated all of their LTC facilities with their first doses and have started getting second doses into arms.

As to how the US is doing compared with some of the major countries in the world, below is the latest info. While the US trails Israel and the UK, we are doing very well when compared to the other major countries in Europe and Canada.

Mormad
Great job, Davie
Mormad
We're at almost 10k vaccinated, 1700 over 75

274 hospitalized, 38 in unit, 20 tubed, at least 20 in ER

Guilford county is now top 10 in country for covid growth. Good grief. This sucks so bad.
PackMom
Thanks for the information. Hope things will settle down soon.
First Page Last Page
Page 213 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.