Coronavirus

1,980,655 Views | 19755 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Werewolf
RunsWithWolves26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cornpack said:

Tobaccoroadsportscafe said:

Can we get a cornpack and statefan update?

Feeling about the same as yesterday but the cough hasn't been as frequent today. I've been trying to train myself to regain my sense of taste by having very distinct flavors and the only things I can faintly taste are vinegar and orange juice. I've tried to nap or read through most of the day and I've found that staying in bed, drinking a lot of water, and not talking keeps things from acting up as much. Thank you for checking up with me!

Glad to hear you're not worse off and maybe a little better. A few friends of mine have had it and they said what helped them the most(at least they feel like it has) is being outside and letting the sun shine on them. They say it seemed to reenergize them. Not sure if that is true or they just wanted it to be but just figured I'd pass it along. Keep fighting and getting better.
Cornpack
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Cornpack said:

Feeling about the same as yesterday but the cough hasn't been as frequent today. I've been trying to train myself to regain my sense of taste by having very distinct flavors and the only things I can faintly taste are vinegar and orange juice. I've tried to nap or read through most of the day and I've found that staying in bed, drinking a lot of water, and not talking keeps things from acting up as much. Thank you for checking up with me!

Glad to hear you're not worse off and maybe a little better. A few friends of mine have had it and they said what helped them the most(at least they feel like it has) is being outside and letting the sun shine on them. They say it seemed to reenergize them. Not sure if that is true or they just wanted it to be but just figured I'd pass it along. Keep fighting and getting better.

If the weather tomorrow is nice enough I might have to hang out in the backyard with my dogs some! Thank you!
Retired internet funny guy
statefan91

Thanks for asking! I can't remember if I updated that the whole fam is positive (wife, 2 kids). I lost sense of smell but no other symptoms thus far. My wife has been a little more tired than normal but the kids haven't seem to have any symptoms yet except my 2 yr olds eyes are a little red. We've given her some eye drops.

That's about it for now. I'm going into Day 6 officially since my positive test was from 12/24. The State contact tracers called today with questions and said my 10 day isolation target is through Sunday, and after that I should be ok to go back to shopping. Hoping symptoms stay minimal and then will be looking at getting back to movie theaters and gyms, both things I haven't done since March.
Mormad
I think typically the doc overseeing the facility makes the call, and that decision (once the resident is sick enough to consider going to the hospital) is based on the facility's ability to manage the patient, the doc's ability to do so, and the wishes of the patient/family (living will/DNR) and premorbid status.
TheStorm
Mormad said:

I think typically the doc overseeing the facility makes the call, and that decision (once the resident is sick enough to consider going to the hospital) is based on the facility's ability to manage the patient, the doc's ability to do so, and the wishes of the patient/family (living will/DNR) and premorbid status.
So, in other words, you are saying that a sibling that gave themselves power of attorney over a parent that already had dementia well before that time could just decide to let that parent die, and just not tell the other siblings that there were potentially other options... not surprised to hear that if I'm being honest.

Follow up question, could an 86 year old, that didn't even know who or where she was for the last seven (7) years of her life, end up testing positive - but only be asymptomatic - and all of a sudden be dead in two (2) days?
RunsWithWolves26
GRANDMA IS COMING HOME TODAY!!! IM SO DAGGUM HAPPY I CAN'T HARDLY STAND MYSELF!!!! Thanks so much y'all for all the prayers and well wishes. It means more then you will ever know to all of us.

My apologies for the all caps. Ain't yelling at y'all, just celebrating!!
TheStorm
RunsWithWolves26 said:

GRANDMA IS COMING HOME TODAY!!! IM SO DAGGUM HAPPY I CAN'T HARDLY STAND MYSELF!!!! Thanks so much y'all for all the prayers and well wishes. It means more then you will ever know to all of us.

statefan91
Great great news
Mormad
Yes

Yes, but that would be a weird coincidence. May not be the whole story?
PackMom
Such great news, RWW! Best wishes to your grandmother and whole family!
TheStorm
Mormad said:

Yes

Yes, but that would be a weird coincidence. May not be the whole story?
True. But, they had 5/6 drop like flies within a couple of days after they first tested positive... perhaps, they were not asymptomatic to begin with and a third party took some liberty with that portion of the information before it was shared with me... who knows?

Doesn't matter anyway in the big picture, she's in a much better place now than the situation she was in there... but it's something that (from reading this thread) that I've always wondered about.

waynecountywolf
Mormad said:

Some in assisted living use a PA / doctor that visits and many still (used to anyway) visit their family doc.
I would think the Manager (LPN) makes the call in those that test positive in those cases maybe with the PA/doc call via phone if symptoms are displayed and begin to worsen.Docs/PAs they arent onsite daily-maybe weekly at best during normal circumstances.
Staffing has been a problem with CNAs and RNs this year, as well. There is no onsite RN unless something at my fathers community changed .
Everyone (caregivers, vendors) that walks in the door as of today, will have a COVID test before entering.
Good questions.
packgrad
ciscopack
Has anyone heard from General Gustave Perna in the last 10 days or so? Not that he needs to be in front of the camera but results from his logistics and distribution should be seen easily? What are we, 18,000,000 doses behind the promise? Throw us a bone sir.

Warp Speed - WASHINGTON Even before there was a vaccine, some seasoned doctors and public health experts warned, Cassandra-like, that its distribution would be "a logistical nightmare."

After Week 1 of the rollout, "nightmare" sounds like an apt description.

Dozens of states say they didn't receive nearly the number of promised doses. Pfizer says millions of doses sat in its storerooms because no one from President Donald Trump's Operation Warp Speed task force told them where to ship them. A number of states have few sites that can handle the ultra-cold storage required for the Pfizer product, so, for example, front-line workers in Georgia have had to travel 40 minutes to get a shot. At some hospitals, residents treating COVID patients protested that they had not received the vaccine while administrators did, even though they work from home and don't treat patients.

Civilized
ciscopack said:

Has anyone heard from General Gustave Perna in the last 10 days or so? Not that he needs to be in front of the camera but results from his logistics and distribution should be seen easily? What are we, 18,000,000 doses behind the promise? Throw us a bone sir.

I agree.

Clients don't like product delivery delays.

You know what they like much less? Product delivery delays and no communication about why there are delays or how long they'll persist.
Pacfanweb
RunsWithWolves26 said:

That's tbe best ending for this crappy year I can imagine.
Fantastic news
ciscopack
ciscopack said:

Warp Speed - WASHINGTON Even before there was a vaccine, some seasoned doctors and public health experts warned, Cassandra-like, that its distribution would be "a logistical nightmare."

Dozens of states say they didn't receive nearly the number of promised doses. Pfizer says millions of doses sat in its storerooms because no one from President Donald Trump's Operation Warp Speed task force told them where to ship them. A number of states have few sites that can handle the ultra-cold storage required for the Pfizer product, so, for example, front-line workers in Georgia have had to travel 40 minutes to get a shot. At some hospitals, residents treating COVID patients protested that they had not received the vaccine while administrators did, even though they work from home and don't treat patients.

Where is the Trump Administration????
packgrad
ciscopack said:

ciscopack said:

Where is the Trump Administration????

Lol... during a game. TDS is so annoying.
ciscopack
On February 24th, to be precise, when Trump tweeted, "The coronavirus is very much under control in the USA."

"Just stay calm. It will go away," Trump said on March 10th, when thirty-one Americans were dead. "It's going to go away," he said on August 31st, by which point nearly two hundred thousand had died. "It's going to disappear," he said on October 10th. "It is disappearing." He said that the coronavirus was a Chinese plot and that concern over it was a Democratic hoax, that he knew how to treat it better than the doctors did, that it was just like the flu, and that, if you got it, you would get better, as he eventually did in October. "That's all I hear about now. . . . COVID, COVID, COVID, COVID," he said before the election. "By the way, on November 4th, you won't hear about it anymore." But that wasn't true, either, and, since then, millions of Americans have been infected with the disease, and December has been by far our deadliest month yet.
PackPA2015
Our hospital system procured another large amount of Pfizer vaccine doses. Just announced they are vaccinating all staff, 10K employees, not just those with direct patient care. This will occur over the next 2-3 weeks.
SupplyChainPack
Science sez:

https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/12/28/mysterious-disappearance-of-flu-in-san-diego-prompted-audit-of-covid-records/

SupplyChainPack
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Amen! Praise the Lord!
Daviewolf83
From the NCDHHS website, below are the guidelines for who to vaccinate in Phase 1a and 1b:

Phase 1a: Health care workers fighting COVID-19 & Long-Term Care staff and residents.
  • Health care workers caring for and working directly with patients with COVID-19, including staff responsible for cleaning and maintenance in those areas
  • Health care workers administering vaccine
  • Long-term care staff and residentspeople in skilled nursing facilities and in adult, family and group homes.

Phase 1b: Adults 75 years or older and frontline essential workers.
There is not enough vaccine for everyone in this phase to be vaccinated at the same time. Vaccinations will be available to groups in the following order.
  • Group 1: Anyone 75 years or older, regardless of health status or living situation
  • Group 2: Health care workers and frontline essential workers 50 years or older
    The CDC defines frontline essential workers as first responders (e.g., firefighters and police officers), corrections officers, food and agricultural workers, U.S. Postal Service workers, manufacturing workers, grocery store workers, public transit workers, and those who work in the education sector (teachers and support staff members) as well as child care workers.
  • Group 3: Health care workers and frontline essential workers of any age

Mandy Cohen, the head of NCDHHS said the following yesterday:

"We can't have folks jumping the line and having their families members or friends, board members, donors jumping the line,"
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

Our hospital system procured another large amount of Pfizer vaccine doses. Just announced they are vaccinating all staff, 10K employees, not just those with direct patient care. This will occur over the next 2-3 weeks.
Thanks for the update. Yesterday, I talked to someone in hospital administration at one of the largest hospitals in NC. They indicated a similar plan for their hospital. The big question is this - how do we get to the long-term care facilities and get them full vaccinated, as required by the Phase 1a plan? NC is not supposed to move to Phase 1b until Phase 1a is complete and long-term care are in Phase 1a.

By my calculations and based on the current data trends, over 500 people in long-term care facilities could die in the next 30 days. Over the past 35 days, over 40% of the Covid deaths in NC came from people living in long-term care facilities.
CLA327
Spot on Davie. My wife worked in a nursing home yesterday that, to date, has had 24 covid deaths. That is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
packgrad
Hearing the above hospital's plan it is clear Mandy's directive
"We can't have folks jumping the line and having their families members or friends, board members, donors jumping the line,"
holds no tooth. Hospital administrators should not be at the front of the line.
TheStorm
packgrad said:

Hearing the above hospital's plan it is clear Mandy's directive
holds no tooth. Hospital administrators should not be at the front of the line.
Have Mandy and Roy not taken that first round yet?
Mormad
LOL, i thought the same thing!
statefan91
I think my grandparents are in line for vaccine within a month, they're both 93 and in a senior community in Brevard
Daviewolf83
Some updates for today:

- From the CDC data tracker for the entire US:
  • Doses Distributed = 12,409050 (should be close to 20 million doses by the end of this week)
  • Doses Administered = 2,794,588
- From the CDC data tracker for NC:
  • Doses Available = 328,175
  • Doses Administered = 73,423
- The Johnson & Johnson one dose vaccine Phase 3 trial has completed enrollment. Efficacy and possible EUA submission by late January and potential approval (assuming efficacy) in February. This is a faster timeline than I had seen reported previously.

- Moderna and Pfizer are still tracking as planned with supply.

- Moderna has begun clinical trials of the 12-18 year old age group. If this goes well, it would expand usage to people under the age of 18.

- Long-term care vaccinations began in 14 states last week (NC did not start until this week). In these 14 states, 906 long-term care facilities completed vaccinations.

RunsWithWolves26
Daviewolf83 said:

Some updates for today:

- From the CDC data tracker for the entire US:
  • Doses Distributed = 12,409050 (should be close to 20 million doses by the end of this week)
  • Doses Administered = 2,794,588
- From the CDC data tracker for NC:
  • Doses Available = 328,175
  • Doses Administered = 73,423
- The Johnson & Johnson one dose vaccine Phase 3 trial has completed enrollment. Efficacy and possible EUA submission by late January and potential approval (assuming efficacy) in February. This is a faster timeline than I had seen reported previously.

- Moderna and Pfizer are still tracking as planned with supply.

- Moderna has begun clinical trials of the 12-18 year old age group. If this goes well, it would expand usage to people under the age of 18.

- Long-term care vaccinations began in 14 states last week (NC did not start until this week). In these 14 states, 906 long-term care facilities completed vaccinations.

This is what I mentioned to you a week or so back about the J&J trial Davie. My brother was saying they information they were receiving showed it being approved and ready faster then expected. I'm hoping that still happens and my brother seems extremely optimistic that it will.
TheStorm
SupplyChainPack said:

Science sez:

https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/12/28/mysterious-disappearance-of-flu-in-san-diego-prompted-audit-of-covid-records/

Well anybody with even a half a lick of common sense, knew that this was contributing to driving up the numbers... you can't even get any type of basic malady anymore with it not being reported as "covid-related"... we all know that the virus is real, but we all damn well know that the above is true as well... sometime about five (5) years from now, long after this is all over - the MSM is going to have clear and documented proof that the real numbers are (were) no where even relatively close to what has been getting reported even going back to the very start - and since they'll have a completely new focus / agenda at that point in time, it won't bother them whatsoever to report on it (long after the fact of course)... and as more and more time goes by it's already become more and more obvious that the whole mask thing has been majorly overblown as well. How are all these people still getting sick if they are wearing those magical masks?

Still not experiencing any real "firsthand" knowledge of cases with anybody that I encounter at work, out in the places I routinely visit in the general public, longtime friends, people in my neighborhood, son's and daughters friends and their families - or at home though... definitely seeing more people talking about firsthand knowledge on the site though, including an increase of people getting it themselves... so I know that it's happening, the increase is definitely real, but just wondering when I'm going to start seeing it firsthand.

I'm either doing something wrong or I guess I don't know enough people in the big picture...
PackPA2015
Daviewolf83 said:

PackPA2015 said:

Thanks for the update. Yesterday, I talked to someone in hospital administration at one of the largest hospitals in NC. They indicated a similar plan for their hospital. The big question is this - how do we get to the long-term care facilities and get them full vaccinated, as required by the Phase 1a plan? NC is not supposed to move to Phase 1b until Phase 1a is complete and long-term care are in Phase 1a.

By my calculations and based on the current data trends, over 500 people in long-term care facilities could die in the next 30 days. Over the past 35 days, over 40% of the Covid deaths in NC came from people living in long-term care facilities.
I have not heard a direct answer to this question, but from what I have gathered, the plan is to vaccinate all staff in the hospital-owned LTC facilities and patients at the same time over the next 3 weeks. I do not know about NC's plan for privately owned facilities.
packgrad
One of my coworkers was exposed to it, as were his wife and kids over Christmas. Several hours together with his nephew who tested positive, and is now showing cold like symptoms. My coworker, his wife, and kids have all continued to test negative for the last (hopefully this makes) 4 days. None of the other family members in my coworkers nephews family have tested positive.
PackPA2015
TheStorm said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Science sez:

Well anybody with even a half a lick of common sense, knew that this was contributing to driving up the numbers... you can't even get any type of basic malady anymore with it not being reported as "covid-related"... we all know that the virus is real, but we all damn well know that the above is true as well... sometime about five (5) years from now, long after this is all over - the MSM is going to have clear and documented proof that the real numbers are (were) no where even relatively close to what has been getting reported even going back to the very start - and since they'll have a completely new focus / agenda at that point in time, it won't bother them whatsoever to report on it (long after the fact of course)... and as more and more time goes by it's already become more and more obvious that the whole mask thing has been majorly overblown as well. How are all these people still getting sick if they are wearing those magical masks?

Still not experiencing any real "firsthand" knowledge of cases with anybody that I encounter at work, out in the places I routinely visit in the general public, longtime friends, people in my neighborhood, son's and daughters friends and their families - or at home though... definitely seeing more people talking about firsthand knowledge on the site though, including an increase of people getting it themselves... so I know that it's happening, the increase is definitely real, but just wondering when I'm going to start seeing it firsthand.

I'm either doing something wrong or I guess I don't know enough people in the big picture...
We have discussed this previously above, but I think quite a few will respectfully disagree with you. Influenza and COVID-19 are completely different viruses that have completely different tests for them. One does not equal the other.

It is much easier to reduce influenza cases than COVID due to influenza being much less infectious. When widespread virus mitigation strategies went into place in March, influenza cases began to drop precipitously (yes, we do have positive flu cases in the summer months). The CDC recommended giving influenza vaccines earlier than usual and we did. There has been more participation in receiving the flu vaccine this year as compared to previous years. Schools around the country are closed or operating on lower numbers at one time. We see a large percentage of influenza transmission through the school system.

I think it definitely matters whom you have seen have the virus around you. If you see very few cases or mild cases, then it is logical to question the mitigation strategies. However, and you will have to trust us that see the moderate to severe cases daily, that this virus is so different from the flu and affects a lot of folks much more severely than anything the flu has ever thrown at us.

To sum this all up, it take less to reduce flu virus than COVID. Even small changes in participation in virus mitigation strategies makes a huge reduction in the numbers. It is strange, we can all agree on that, but it also makes sense in the larger societal context. Here's a good link that seems to explain it pretty well.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/uritheflu/88676
First Page Last Page
Page 205 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.