Coronavirus

2,026,800 Views | 19873 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by Werewolf
PackPA2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't imagine the toll this takes on some of these kids. Glad to hear he continues to do well!
Daviewolf83
It appears Israel is making great progress in getting their 60+ age population vaccinated. If they can maintain the curve, they will have 80% of the 60+ aged people vaccinated by mid-January. I really hope the US starts to rapidly increase its vaccination rates for the same population group.

packgrad
That's incredible. Seems I've read a couple articles lately where some hospitals here are prioritizing hospital administrators before patients. Hope they are the exception and not the rule.
Mormad
https://www.geekwire.com/2020/can-vaccinated-people-still-transmit-covid-19-answer-key-herd-immunity-research-finds/

Some interesting links within the link, too
Daviewolf83
For NC, a total of 63,571 people have received their first dose of the vaccine. Of these, 60% are between the ages of 25-49. For the age group you would likely find living in nursing homes (65+ age group), they make up 6% of all of the total vaccinations to date. So, approximately 4,000 of the 63,000+ vaccinations have been to people 65 years of age and older. If you look at deaths in NC, 83% of the deaths are from people aged 65+ (60% of the 83% are aged 75+).
waynecountywolf
Daviewolf83 said:

For NC, a total of 63,571 people have received their first dose of the vaccine. Of these, 60% are between the ages of 25-49. For the age group you would likely find living in nursing homes (65+ age group), NC has vaccinated 6%. So, approximately 4,000 of the 63,000+ vaccinations have been to people 65 years of age and older.

I keep seeing very general news articles that it will begin this week in congregate living, but in my area I see or hear nothing,yet.
94 yr old Dad is in assisted living and cases went from one to 12 Sunday and they are moving all COVID positive to one floor today.
Daviewolf83
waynecountywolf said:

Daviewolf83 said:

For NC, a total of 63,571 people have received their first dose of the vaccine. Of these, 60% are between the ages of 25-49. For the age group you would likely find living in nursing homes (65+ age group), NC has vaccinated 6%. So, approximately 4,000 of the 63,000+ vaccinations have been to people 65 years of age and older.

I keep seeing very general news articles that it will begin this week in congregate living, but in my area I see or hear nothing,yet.
94 yr old Dad is in assisted living and cases went from one to 12 Sunday and they are moving all COVID positive to one floor today.
My dad is 86 and has significant health issues that put him at high risk. He lives by himself and has people that come in to help him out a couple of times a day for a couple of hours. He talked to his county health department early last week and they told him he will be in the Phase 1B group (he is on their list) and he should expect to be vaccinated in the next couple of weeks. It is a small, rural county and they are using the Moderna vaccine. He actually wants the Moderna instead of the Pfizer vaccine, so he is pleased with his choice.

I believe the healthcare and frontline workers make up the bulk of the first wave of vaccinations and this is why is skews younger. I really hope we see these statistics flip in the next 15 to 30 days, with the vast majority of vaccinations going to the 65+ demographic.
wilmwolf
Daviewolf83 said:

For NC, a total of 63,571 people have received their first dose of the vaccine. Of these, 60% are between the ages of 25-49. For the age group you would likely find living in nursing homes (65+ age group), they make up 6% of all of the total vaccinations to date. So, approximately 4,000 of the 63,000+ vaccinations have been to people 65 years of age and older. If you look at deaths in NC, 83% of the deaths are from people aged 65+ (60% of the 83% are aged 75+).

My thought is that most of those younger people being vaccinated are health care workers, and hopefully workers in nursing homes are among them. I would think personally that nursing home and assisted care people were at the top of the list, since they work exclusively with those at the most risk, but I'm not sure I have faith that that is the case just yet.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Daviewolf83
wilmwolf80 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

My thought is that most of those younger people being vaccinated are health care workers, and hopefully workers in nursing homes are among them. I would think personally that nursing home and assisted care people were at the top of the list, since they work exclusively with those at the most risk, but I'm not sure I have faith that that is the case just yet.
I hope you are right and the nursing home workers are included in this first wave. By the way, NC has been allotted 461,925 doses (12/22 data) of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. So, NC has enough doses available now to vaccinate every person who is a resident of a long-term care facility.
Colonel Armstrong
It makes very little sense to vaccinate anybody younger than 60 to begin with.

Really we should've used ever single vaccine for those above 70.

Israel will be interesting to follow if they decided upon that route.
ciscopack
Mormad said:

ciscopack said:

BBW12OG said:

The fact he is a regular on CNN tells you ALL you need to know about him. He had/has an agenda. Wait until Sleepy and Willie's Side Piece take over. All of a sudden you will see the economies open up and the businesses to go back to normal. They are waiting on January 21st to let everyone know that "all is well" because we now have democrats in the White House. This more than anything should show intelligent Americans where the priorities of democrats actually lie.
Last I heard, that date was Nov. 3, 2020; now it's moved. (Nov. 3...on here in this thread) Fauci actually expects it to get worse over the next few weeks (inc. Jan. 21); so do I. If Fauci can find the time, he'll tell what he thinks about the virus and try to help people, help one another get rid of it to anyone that wants to listen. Any network or station!

I can't figure out why the HACK would waste his time going to Holy Cross and Cornell and graduate 1st in his class with a Doctor of Medicine degree?

In 1968, Fauci joined the National Institutes of Health (NIH) as a clinical associate in the Laboratory of Clinical Investigation (LCI) at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fauci#cite_note-pr1984-12][12][/url] In 1974, he became head of the Clinical Physiology Section, LCI, and in 1980 was appointed Chief of the Laboratory of Immunoregulation. In 1984, he became director of NIAID, a position he still holds as of 2020.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fauci#cite_note-Grady-5][5][/url] In that role he is responsible for an extensive research portfolio of basic and applied research on infectious and immune-mediated illnesses.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fauci#cite_note-pr1984-12][12][/url] He has turned down several offers to lead his agency's parent, the NIH, and has been at the forefront of U.S. efforts to contend with viral diseases like HIV/AIDS, SARS, the 2009 swine flu pandemic, MERS, Ebola and COVID-19.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fauci#cite_note-13][13][/url]

He played a significant role in the early 2000s in creating the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fauci#cite_note-14][14][/url] and in driving development of biodefense drugs and vaccines following the 9/11 terrorist attacks.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fauci#cite_note-15][15][/url]
Fauci has been a visiting professor at many medical centers, and has received 30 honorary doctorates from universities in the U.S. and abroad.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fauci#cite_note-Cited-16][16][/url]

He's no Kary Mullis
Maybe Tony liked baking, fiction, Mr. Natural, Orange Sunshine, Windowpane, Purple Microdot, Orange Barrel too but he did not brag on either? He does love baseball and at 5'7", he was captain of his high school basketball team. I of course did not know Mullis but he was a smart man from NC that did some really good work with DNA. Fauci found the job he wanted and he stayed there, when what most people would call promotions came along, he stuck with the job he loved. I doubt Tony has seen an extraterrestrial raccoon but he might have? 2 people that did what they loved.

We have about 18,500,000 vaccines to get out by the 1st to reach the 20,000,000 number talked about.
PackPA2015
King Leary said:

The +65 group is vastly important, yes. But we still need healthcare workers to take care of those under 65 whom end up in the hospital from COVID which is why they are receiving the vaccine. Staffing has become a huge issue. Limited staff means worse care.

These workers will mostly be under the age of 65.
wilmwolf
Not exactly related to the current discussion, but in your experience, is staffing becoming an issue because healthcare workers are getting covid on the job, or are they getting it away from work and then missing time because of it?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
PackPA2015
wilmwolf80 said:

Not exactly related to the current discussion, but in your experience, is staffing becoming an issue because healthcare workers are getting covid on the job, or are they getting it away from work and then missing time because of it?

Great question. At our clinic, most have been from contact within the office. Our other providers and staff have been relatively compliant basically staying home for the past 9 months and not risking contacts.

As far as our hospital system, I would say most cases in workers originate from outside contact. That is what I have been told from workers and administration within the hospital. I do not have exact numbers on that.

Is that what you are seeing Mormad?
waynecountywolf
King Leary said:

Cant say I agree with this.
TheStorm
waynecountywolf said:

Daviewolf83 said:

So, they aren't sending any of them to the hospital? Who makes that choice - the facility, or the family?

Thanks in advance.
Mormad
PackPA2015 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Great question. At our clinic, most have been from contact within the office. Our other providers and staff have been relatively compliant basically staying home for the past 9 months and not risking contacts.

As far as our hospital system, I would say most cases in workers originate from outside contact. That is what I have been told from workers and administration within the hospital. I do not have exact numbers on that.

Is that what you are seeing Mormad?

Yep. Same story here
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

In my own limited, one (1) known episode of this, the assisted living facility employee caught it outside of work and then brought it into the facility... within 4-5 days upon that first positive test, they had 13 residents test positive and 5/6 deaths already. None of the residents were taken to the hospital (thus my earlier question to another poster). I don't know how the numbers went after my own personal involvement was over.

This was in a subset of about thirty (30) residents - in a dementia-only building (at a larger multi-building facility), where they keep them drugged up sitting in a wheelchair so badly, that 3/4 of them can't even lift their chins off their chests.
waynecountywolf
TheStorm said:

waynecountywolf said:

Daviewolf83 said:

So, they aren't sending any of them to the hospital? Who makes that choice - the facility, or the family?

Thanks in advance.
CVS and Walgreens will come in person to the community.

edit
reread your post- Not yet but they are finally keeping them apart. Some residents left for Thanksgiving and Christmas for the day and have to also quarantine in their rooms. Funny thing, they allow smokers to walk around and sit on the front porch but the non smokers cannot.
Not sure who makes decisions likely family
TheStorm
waynecountywolf said:

TheStorm said:

waynecountywolf said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Thanks in advance.
CVS and Walgreens will come in person the the community.

edit
reread wrote post- Not yet but they are finally keeping them apart. Some residents left for Thanksgiving and Christmas for the day and have to also quarantine in their rooms. Funny thing, they allow smokers to walk around and sit on the front porch but the non smokers cannot.
I'm really more interested in knowing who decides if a resident is taken to the hospital? I know that RWW26's Grandmother was taken from an assisted living facility to the hospital (and thankfully she recovered), but again - I'm wondering who decides that? Seems like once covid gets into a facility they are just letting them die there... but like I said, I only know about one episode.
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

King Leary said:

The +65 group is vastly important, yes. But we still need healthcare workers to take care of those under 65 whom end up in the hospital from COVID which is why they are receiving the vaccine. Staffing has become a huge issue. Limited staff means worse care.

I have said all along that healthcare workers should be included in the first phase for the reasons you state and it is good to see that this is happening and in large numbers. I have also been clear that people in long-term care and congregate facilities should be in the first phase and they are included in Phase 1A.

As we know, vaccinations in Phase 1A are earmarked for "health care workers at high risk for exposure to COVID-19 AND long-term care residents and staff." It appears NC is doing well getting one group vaccinated and very badly getting the other population vaccinated. Hopefully this improves in the next two to four weeks. If we do not have the majority of long-term care residents vaccinated by the end of January, it will be a failure.
waynecountywolf
TheStorm said:

waynecountywolf said:

TheStorm said:

waynecountywolf said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Thanks in advance.

edit
reread wrote post- Not yet but they are finally keeping them apart. Some residents left for Thanksgiving and Christmas for the day and have to also quarantine in their rooms. Funny thing, they allow smokers to walk around and sit on the front porch but the non smokers cannot.
I'm really more interested in knowing who decides if a resident is taken to the hospital? I know that RWW26's Grandmother was taken from an assisted living facility to the hospital (and thankfully she recovered), but again - I'm wondering who decides that? Seems like once covid gets into a facility they are just letting them die there... but like I said, I only know about one episode.
As of today, I dont know who is symptomatic at this point so they would not even go to the hospital simply because they tested positive. I should have stated earlier, the residents are tested more than once whenever a person that works there or another resident tests positive- so they ALL get tested. Last tests revealed 1 from last week and Sunday 11 more after Christmas.
So unless they display symptoms, no one would go to the hospital (just remain quarantined in their rooms) and even then would depend on their condition, underlying problems. The facility likely would contact the family (since they are not allowed inside and many may not even be in the area) and a decision made between the family and the facility.
.Facility is going to err on the side of caution during normal times and call for transport if symptoms appear and worsen.
Catching and monitoring early symptoms would be a key and the staff are the only one there to decide.
TheStorm
TheStorm said:

waynecountywolf said:

TheStorm said:

waynecountywolf said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Thanks in advance.

edit
In the example that I gave earlier the facility claimed that they were all asymptomatic... do they die asymptomatic (within mere days), just because they are literally hanging by a thread to begin with?
waynecountywolf
A 53 or 54 yr old HS classmate that lives near RDU area was taken to hospital today.
Her husband tested positive just before Christmas as did their daughter.

Another classmates mom and dad tested positive around 16th I think. Dad was doing much better in hospital then suddenly put on a vent
waynecountywolf
Update a few minutes ago in Wayne on congregate living:
Vaccine shots start "sometime in January" where my dad resides.
AlleyPack
PackPA2015 said:

King Leary said:

Yep. My wife works at a hospital, and the staff (pretty much all of whom are 65 and younger) are steadily getting vaccinated -- solely to try and make sure they remain healthy and able to care for those in the community (elderly or otherwise) who might get sick.
waynecountywolf
TheStorm said:

TheStorm said:

waynecountywolf said:

TheStorm said:

waynecountywolf said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Thanks in advance.

edit
In the example that I gave earlier the facility claimed that they were all asymptomatic... do they die asymptomatic (within mere days), just because they are literally hanging by a thread to begin with?
Cant speak for anyone relatives other than my own. He is not hanging by a thread even though hes 94. Asymptomatic means no symptoms, no?
I may be missing something here. I am not certain why anyone would get the infusion or treatment if they are only asymptomatic.
Tobaccoroadsportscafe
Can we get a cornpack and statefan update?
PackMom
Tobaccoroadsportscafe said:

Yes, please, and has RWW's grandmother gone home yet?
Tobaccoroadsportscafe
PackMom said:

Yes, please, and has RWW's grandmother gone home yet?

Yes, I would also love a grandma update!
RunsWithWolves26
Sorry guys, busy day. Grandma hasn't come home yet but she is still doing well. Still asymptomatic which is good. Where she is at, they keep them for 10-21 days simply because of their age and fish factor. I've talked to her everyday since she went there 13 days ago. She tested posirive two weeks ago today. Fingers crossed all continues well and she gets to come home in the next 7 days. She is kinda blah and a little down because she misses being close to her family but at least she isn't like some with this virus. Thanks for the continued prayers and thoughts. It means a lot to my entire family.
Civilized
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Sorry guys, busy day. Grandma hasn't come home yet but she is still doing well. Still asymptomatic which is good. Where she is at, they keep them for 10-21 days simply because of their age and fish factor. I've talked to her everyday since she went there 13 days ago. She tested posirive two weeks ago today. Fingers crossed all continues well and she gets to come home in the next 7 days. She is kinda blah and a little down because she misses being close to her family but at least she isn't like some with this virus. Thanks for the continued prayers and thoughts. It means a lot to my entire family.

Best update possible.
PackMom
Great to hear. Thank you!
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Great update and awesome news. I know she wants to go home and hopefully she can get back home next week.
Cornpack

Feeling about the same as yesterday but the cough hasn't been as frequent today. I've been trying to train myself to regain my sense of taste by having very distinct flavors and the only things I can faintly taste are vinegar and orange juice. I've tried to nap or read through most of the day and I've found that staying in bed, drinking a lot of water, and not talking keeps things from acting up as much. Thank you for checking up with me!
Retired internet funny guy
First Page Last Page
Page 204 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.