Coronavirus

2,001,685 Views | 19844 Replies | Last: 52 min ago by Werewolf
PackPA2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Absolutely! I don't blame her. It is all about calculated risks. What is worth it to go and do when there is a risk of significant harm or death to you or someone you love? It is the decision we all have to make no matter what we are doing.

I hope she (and your family as a whole) stays well! Again, appreciate all of the data!
RunsWithWolves26
Talked to grandma last night. She was exhausted. They ran test on her and gave her the IV treatment for 6 hours yesterday so naturally, at 83 years old, she was worn out. She sounded good and said she was feeling fine so I take that as a positive considering they are saying she was positive last Monday, so far, after 7 days, she's doing as good as can be expected. Hoping like heck that continues.
RunsWithWolves26
Daviewolf83 said:

I just wanted to post some information that we should consider:

- Less than 1% of the US population lives in long-term care facilities, but people from these facilities make up 40% of all Covid deaths in the US.

- In NC, over 50% of the Covid deaths have come from Congregate facilities and the vast majority of these deaths are from long-term care facilities.

- This coming week, many states will begin significant operations to vaccinate people living and working in long-term care facilities. In many states, the vaccinations will be carried out by employees from Walgreens and CVS drug stores.

- West Virginia, Delaware, Connecticut, and Florida have already started the vaccination of long-term care facilities. This week 1,100 long-term care facilities will begin vaccinations.

- The Moderna vaccine will be used outside of clinical trials for the first time this week. This vaccine is key for long-term care facilities and rural areas, since it does not require the extreme cold storage the Pfizer vaccine requires.

- In total, 2.8 million doses of Pfizer vaccine have been distributed to date. Also, more than 550,000 Americans have received the vaccine. This is likely an undercount of the real number.

- This week, an additional 10 million doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will be distributed across America.

- Estimates for vaccine supply (based on 2 doses per person) for the coming months are:

• End of Dec: enough for 20M people
  • End of Jan: enough for 30M more people
  • End of Feb: enough for 50M more people

So, by the end of February, the US should be able to vaccinate 100M people.

- If Johnson & Johnson vaccine is approved, an additional 100M people by June could be vaccinated.

- If you are curious, you can download the allocation of vaccine by State and jurisdiction at the following links:

Pfizer Covid-19 Vaccine Distribution

Moderna Covid-19 Vaccine Distribution

- There are reports of a new coronavirus mutation from the UK and South Africa. Travel from the UK has been suspended by several other countries, due to the uncertainty caused by this new mutation.

- Early reports on the UK mutation indicate an increase in transmission, but not an increase in severity. It is unlikely the new mutation will effect the efficacy of the new vaccines. You can read more about these mutations in this NY Times article: The Coronvirus is Mutating. What does that mean for us?

Davie, great info. I talked with my brother for a short time over the weekend. I ask him when I could expect my vaccine. I'm a mid 30's healthy male and he said I would be looking at February. He said if the John and Johnson vaccine was approved early, they could have 200 million ready to go by the first of March. He works at Rex with his background in pharmacy and clinical research. Just wondering if he mispoke or if those numbers you found are off. Not sure which one it is. Regardless, it's good news either way.
statefan91
I have a contact who thinks the J&J vaccine is going to be what gets us back to normal because it's 1 shot and it's such a big company that they'll be ready to distribute. Not sure about the #s but he's putting his money on that one in late February.
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

I have a contact who thinks the J&J vaccine is going to be what gets us back to normal because it's 1 shot and it's such a big company that they'll be ready to distribute. Not sure about the #s but he's putting his money on that one in late February.

Kinda what my brother was saying. He has actually been involved in the clinical research side of these vaccines and he keeps telling me the J&J vaccine, if nothing changes with the trials, is going to be the kicker vaccine, the one that sets things in motion full speed. He is cautiously optimistic it will be ready to send out at the end of January or first of February.
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

I just wanted to post some information that we should consider:

- Less than 1% of the US population lives in long-term care facilities, but people from these facilities make up 40% of all Covid deaths in the US.

- In NC, over 50% of the Covid deaths have come from Congregate facilities and the vast majority of these deaths are from long-term care facilities.

- This coming week, many states will begin significant operations to vaccinate people living and working in long-term care facilities. In many states, the vaccinations will be carried out by employees from Walgreens and CVS drug stores.

- West Virginia, Delaware, Connecticut, and Florida have already started the vaccination of long-term care facilities. This week 1,100 long-term care facilities will begin vaccinations.

- The Moderna vaccine will be used outside of clinical trials for the first time this week. This vaccine is key for long-term care facilities and rural areas, since it does not require the extreme cold storage the Pfizer vaccine requires.

- In total, 2.8 million doses of Pfizer vaccine have been distributed to date. Also, more than 550,000 Americans have received the vaccine. This is likely an undercount of the real number.

- This week, an additional 10 million doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will be distributed across America.

- Estimates for vaccine supply (based on 2 doses per person) for the coming months are:

• End of Dec: enough for 20M people
  • End of Jan: enough for 30M more people
  • End of Feb: enough for 50M more people

So, by the end of February, the US should be able to vaccinate 100M people.

- If Johnson & Johnson vaccine is approved, an additional 100M people by June could be vaccinated.

- If you are curious, you can download the allocation of vaccine by State and jurisdiction at the following links:

Pfizer Covid-19 Vaccine Distribution

Moderna Covid-19 Vaccine Distribution

- There are reports of a new coronavirus mutation from the UK and South Africa. Travel from the UK has been suspended by several other countries, due to the uncertainty caused by this new mutation.

- Early reports on the UK mutation indicate an increase in transmission, but not an increase in severity. It is unlikely the new mutation will effect the efficacy of the new vaccines. You can read more about these mutations in this NY Times article: The Coronvirus is Mutating. What does that mean for us?

Davie, great info. I talked with my brother for a short time over the weekend. I ask him when I could expect my vaccine. I'm a mid 30's healthy male and he said I would be looking at February. He said if the John and Johnson vaccine was approved early, they could have 200 million ready to go by the first of March. He works at Rex with his background in pharmacy and clinical research. Just wondering if he mispoke or if those numbers you found are off. Not sure which one it is. Regardless, it's good news either way.
It is possible that J&J will have 200M doses available in March, but the US government has only agreed to purchase 100M doses at this time.

Here's the breakdown by vaccine supply from Operation Warp Speed:

Pfizer = 100M doses (US government is negotiating to secure additional doses)
Moderna = 200M doses (Initial order was for 100M and last week, they secured an agreement for 100M more doses)
J&J = 100M doses
Novavax = 100M doses
Sanofi/GlaxoSmithKline = 100M doses
AstraZeneca = 300M doses

The J&J vaccine is now in Phase 3 trials and the trials are fully enrolled with 43,000 candidates worldwide. If trials go well, they expect to file for EUA in February and if approved, supply could start to ramp in early March. Based on the info I saw, it will take a couple of months to ramp distribution of the 100M doses.

Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

statefan91 said:

Kinda what my brother was saying. He has actually been involved in the clinical research side of these vaccines and he keeps telling me the J&J vaccine, if nothing changes with the trials, is going to be the kicker vaccine, the one that sets things in motion full speed. He is cautiously optimistic it will be ready to send out at the end of January or first of February.
The J&J vaccine is the one my father wants to take, since it is a one-shot vaccine. He is 86 and has some significant health issues, so I encouraged him to follow the advice of his doctor and if his doctor thinks he should get it early, he should probably not wait on the J&J vaccine.
RunsWithWolves26
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

statefan91 said:

The J&J vaccine is the one my father wants to take, since it is a one-shot vaccine. He is 86 and has some significant health issues, so I encouraged him to follow the advice of his doctor and if his doctor thinks he should get it early, he should probably not wait on the J&J vaccine.

Agreed with that. On the J&J vaccine. My brother was telling me that the clinical data they have seen on their group, it appears the J&J vaccine could be ready much sooner then expected. He also mentioned that J&J had already done some serious prep work in order to get the vaccine volume up higher, quicker then originally thought. Now, maybe he is seeing something we aren't lowes to see or know yet because it is still in the trail period but it sure would be nice if that was true.
Daviewolf83
Some additional details on the vaccines that are important to understand, as it relates to age groups. The Pfizer vaccine is authorized for people 16 years of age and older. The Moderna authorization is for people 18 years of age and older. Currently, neither of the vaccines are authorized for use on people under the age of 16.

Based on the information I found on J&J's website regarding the Phase 3 clinical trials, they limited enrollment to people 18 years of age and older. As such, I would assume it is unlikely that it will be authorized for use on people under the age of 18, once it receives an EUA.

Pfizer will begin enrolling people between the ages of 11 and 17 later this year, but they will not begin enrolling children under the age of 11 until some time next year. Moderna has plans to also test children between the ages of 12 and 17 soon, but I could not find a date for when this trial would begin.
PackPA2015
Just to update everyone on 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine, I did not have any significant adverse effects. I woke up the next day with a mild headache and achiness, but these resolved with just Tylenol. Arm was mildly sore at the injection site. Otherwise, I feel great 48 hours later. A Doc I work with got his at the same time. He is much older than I. He had even less symptoms than I did. So far, so good!
RunsWithWolves26
PackPA2015 said:

Just to update everyone on 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine, I did not have any significant adverse effects. I woke up the next day with a mild headache and achiness, but these resolved with just Tylenol. Arm was mildly sore at the injection site. Otherwise, I feel great 48 hours later. A Doc I work with got his at the same time. He is much older than I. He had even less symptoms than I did. So far, so good!

That's great news! My brother got his first shot Friday and he said his arm was sore and he was tired but that was it.
JasonNCSU
Only symptom my wife had was a sore arm for a couple of hours, but she said not as bad as when she gets the flu shot... Very encouraging.... Will see what comes after shot 2.
wilmwolf
Any info about reactions is greatly appreciated. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have multiple severe food allergies, and I'm allergic to other organic compounds as well, seemingly three quarters of the things on this planet, so it is something I'm very interested in. I'm still waiting to see what my doctor says, not that I'm in line to get the vaccine any time soon, but I'm guessing I will end up needing to be under observation when that time comes.
RunsWithWolves26
According to my brother, today and tomorrow are critical days for my grandma. From the research they have done, for my grandma's age group, day 7-9 are the critical days. If she makes it through the next 2 days with minor symptoms, she SHOULD be on the good to go track. My dad is going to see her today so hopefully he will have good news.
Civilized
RunsWithWolves26 said:

According to my brother, today and tomorrow are critical days for my grandma. From the research they have done, for my grandma's age group, day 7-9 are the critical days. If she makes it through the next 2 days with minor symptoms, she SHOULD be on the good to go track. My dad is going to see her today so hopefully he will have good news.

Fingers crossed brother. Keep us posted.
PackMom
Still praying for her (and your family)! Thanks for keeping us posted.
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Keep the good news coming. Praying for healing over the next couple of days.
packgrad
Dana White from the top rope on how he dealt with working in the pandemic, and how the agenda based media covered him. Just a sledge hammer.

Edit.... apologies for the profanity in his tweet. I saw it on another person's tweet and linked his without reading it.

Ncstatefan01
Thanks packgrad! I always get my public health advice from Dana White, so this is perfect! Great post!
packgrad
Ncstatefan01 said:

Thanks packgrad! I always get my public health advice from Dana White, so this is perfect! Great post!

You're welcome!!!!
RunsWithWolves26
Dad went and saw grandma today and I called her shortly after. My brother was able to go by with him before work so that was good. My brother tells me today is day 7.5 so I call it day 8. Regardless, grandma is still doing as good as can be expected. She is a little stuffy in her nose but she usually is anytime she has a change of loving location. She is coughing up stuff which I am told is good because it isn't staying lodged in her chest and restricting things, making it harder to get air. No fever, no diarrhea, no loss of taste or smell as of me writing this. I know everyone reacts different this terrible virus and maybe I'm just trying to be to positive but at 83, I will take what she is having right now and be happy about it. Still sounds good, still laughing and making sure everyone else is ok. Hoping for more good results tomorrow.

Question for Davie. Have you heard of them giving patients mucinex to help with the chest congestion? They are giving it to my grandma to keep the congestion broke up.
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Dad went and saw grandma today and I called her shortly after. My brother was able to go by with him before work so that was good. My brother tells me today is day 7.5 so I call it day 8. Regardless, grandma is still doing as good as can be expected. She is a little stuffy in her nose but she usually is anytime she has a change of loving location. She is coughing up stuff which I am told is good because it isn't staying lodged in her chest and restricting things, making it harder to get air. No fever, no diarrhea, no loss of taste or smell as of me writing this. I know everyone reacts different this terrible virus and maybe I'm just trying to be to positive but at 83, I will take what she is having right now and be happy about it. Still sounds good, still laughing and making sure everyone else is ok. Hoping for more good results tomorrow.

Question for Davie. Have you heard of them giving patients mucinex to help with the chest congestion? They are giving it to my grandma to keep the congestion broke up.
I have not heard of it specifically, but it does make some sense. I think PackPA could give better insight on this, since he is directly involved with the treating of patients.

I can say for many years, my mother took Mucinex daily. She was on a respirator for the last 18 years of her life and used it to keep the mucus broken up. She had to be suctioned throughout the day (she lived at home during this period and my father would do this - I did it as well when he was unable to) and sometimes the mucus would get plugged. The Mucinex kept it lose and less likely to get plugged.
RunsWithWolves26
That's the way my brother explained it to me. I had a chance to talk to him for a few just a little bit ago and I ask him point blank how he felt she was doing considering be is in the field and his words were "really, really, good. I'm surprised honestly." He is really happy with her not having fun a fever yet but he did say he wants to see her labs and stats(oxygen levels) I think this afternoon.
Pacfanweb
Go Grandma Run!
Keep the good news coming
PackPA2015
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I have not heard of it specifically, but it does make some sense. I think PackPA could give better insight on this, since he is directly involved with the treating of patients.

I can say for many years, my mother took Mucinex daily. She was on a respirator for the last 18 years of her life and used it to keep the mucus broken up. She had to be suctioned throughout the day (she lived at home during this period and my father would do this - I did it as well when he was unable to) and sometimes the mucus would get plugged. The Mucinex kept it lose and less likely to get plugged.

Yep, Mucinex can be a literal life saver from the common cold to chronic mucus production with COPD. It is a great drug and we use it often.
RunsWithWolves26
Well, today is the day. I was able to talk with my brother last night and he was able to get grandma's lab work and sats. She, as of last night around 10pm, was still asymptomatic. No nose bleeds anymore from the meds and no blood in her urine. Her says was 97% on room air as well. She has also, as of last night, yet to run a fever. Don't know how many of you are the praying type, but as I said at the beginning, today is the day. According to my brother, today is the day that if grandma gets through it like she has so far, she SHOULD be on the road to an all clear. Of course, that is not a sure thing but from what they've seen through research, there is a good chance. The next 24 hours are going to be stressful. The heck with Santa Claus. All I want for Christmas is an all clear for grandma.
gtman49
Fingers crossed for you guys RWW. My boss lost his father yesterday, though Christmas for a bunch of people.
RunsWithWolves26
gtman49 said:

Fingers crossed for you guys RWW. My boss lost his father yesterday, though Christmas for a bunch of people.

Thanks man. I hate to hear about your bosses father. Thoughts and prayers going his way for sure.
TheStorm
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Well, today is the day. I was able to talk with my brother last night and he was able to get grandma's lab work and sats. She, as of last night around 10pm, was still asymptomatic. No nose bleeds anymore from the meds and no blood in her urine. Her says was 97% on room air as well. She has also, as of last night, yet to run a fever. Don't know how many of you are the praying type, but as I said at the beginning, today is the day. According to my brother, today is the day that if grandma gets through it like she has so far, she SHOULD be on the road to an all clear. Of course, that is not a sure thing but from what they've seen through research, there is a good chance. The next 24 hours are going to be stressful. The heck with Santa Claus. All I want for Christmas is an all clear for grandma.
Keep the faith. Hope you and your family have a good day today...
PackMom
Best wishes for your grandmother! Hope the news is good today.
RunsWithWolves26
So grandma made it through today and has one more nig day to go tomorrow. Doing a bunch of lab test on her tomorrow so I guess technically now, tomorrow is the day. Fingers crossed she doesn't have any set backs tomorrow and she will get the all clear. We are driving up tomorrow to talk to her through the window and wish her a Merry Christmas. Talked with my brother tonight and he said all signs are pointing in the right direction but things can always change and change fast with this virus. Hoping tomorrow night at this time, santa gives me an early Christmas gift with a healthy grandma. Thanks again for the prayers y'all. Means a lot.
PackPA2015
RunsWithWolves26 said:

So grandma made it through today and has one more nig day to go tomorrow. Doing a bunch of lab test on her tomorrow so I guess technically now, tomorrow is the day. Fingers crossed she doesn't have any set backs tomorrow and she will get the all clear. We are driving up tomorrow to talk to her through the window and wish her a Merry Christmas. Talked with my brother tonight and he said all signs are pointing in the right direction but things can always change and change fast with this virus. Hoping tomorrow night at this time, santa gives me an early Christmas gift with a healthy grandma. Thanks again for the prayers y'all. Means a lot.

God bless brother. May you have the best Christmas of all of us!
RunsWithWolves26
PackPA2015 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

God bless brother. May you have the best Christmas of all of us!

Thanks buddy. I don't want the best. Just want my grandma to have the best. Praying she has the best Christmas, a clean bill of health.
Mormad
Sounds like she's gonna be just fine!
PackMom
Great news! Be sure to let us know how things go for her today!
First Page Last Page
Page 200 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.