Coronavirus

2,007,397 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Werewolf
Wayland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NC - 11/10 *with* COVID Deaths Update. +45

DoD Reported
11/9(8), 11/8(10), 11/7(4),11/6(6), 11/5(5), 11/2(2), 11/1(2), 10/31(2), 10/30, 10/28(2), 10/25, 10/23, 10/19, 10/16

DoD Removed
10/27, 10/21

1 new missing DoD (4 total)

Setting:
20 Congregate, 10 Unknown, 15 General

Hospitalizations are increasing - still increase is coming out of Meck and Triad regions.

Cases by Date of Collection are starting to point back up a little after being mostly level for the last week+.

Sierrawolf
What is Cooper going to have to say today at 3pm?
Wayland
New Executive Order runs through Dec 4th.

Only significant change is reducing the indoor gathering limit from 25 to 10 people. (for non-exempt activities).

Basically this is for social gatherings at residences.

packgrad
Wayland said:

New Executive Order runs through Dec 4th.

Only significant change is reducing the indoor gathering limit from 25 to 10 people. (for non-exempt activities).

Basically this is for social gatherings at residences.

Yeah. We'll be breaking that at Thanksgiving.
SupplyChainPack
https://firstinfreedomdaily.com/what-a-turkey-king-cooper-ratchets-restrictions-back-up-reduces-indoor-gathering-limit-to-10-two-weeks-before-thanksgiving/

Colonel Armstrong
Roy Cooper is a piece of ***** Awful convenient to wait until after re-election to impose more restrictions. Science!!
ciscopack
CDC now says face masks protect the wearer and the economy

The CDC also noted an economic benefit, reporting an analysis using U.S. data found that "increasing universal masking by 15% could prevent the need for lockdowns and reduce associated losses of up to $1 trillion, or about 5% of gross domestic product."
ciscopack
I see a general weekly update from Nov. 2 at the Homeland Security site but I can't find anything this week.

Coronavirus News & Updates

Does anyone have anything from President Trump or VP Pence other than he met with the task force Monday? I have not seen anything as to what they are doing/suggesting to lesson the grip on Covid-19 records in the US and maybe there is nothing to be done? I do see they talked about vaccines on Monday. I remember a few months ago that President Trump said the military will get the vaccines out and distributed at warp speed. Hopefully the dry ice is ready for travel and ready at locations where shots will be given.....-141F.

Vice President Pence meets with Coronavirus Task Force on Monday

Wayland
NC - 11/11 *with* COVID Deaths Update. +38

DoD Reported
11/10(3), 11/9(9), 11/8(5), 11/7(7),11/6(5), 11/5, 11/4(2), 11/1, 10/30, 10/29, 10/28, 10/20, 10/6, 9/27, 7/28

2 missing assigned DoD (2 missing)

Setting:
16 Congregate, 9 Unknown, 13 General

Overall hospitalizations are UP (really just increase in Triad), but ICU is at its lowest number in almost a month (a small positive).

Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

DoD Reported
11/10(3), 11/9(9), 11/8(5), 11/7(7),11/6(5), 11/5, 11/4(2), 11/1, 10/30, 10/29, 10/28, 10/20, 10/6, 9/27, 7/28

Setting:

Overall hospitalizations are UP (really just increase in Triad), but ICU is at its lowest number in almost a month (a small positive).

While the hospitalization trends is fairly flat (higher today), the percentage of Covid patients in ICU continues to head down and is below the last 30 day average. This is a positive, since ICU patients tend to have much worse outcomes.

The estimated (estimate active cases over 14 day period) percentage of Covid cases hospitalized in NC continues to trend down slightly.

I am concerned about Thanksgiving, with people traveling and being with larger groups. As I have repeatedly said, being indoors with large groups is not a wise move for people. If you have to be indoors, please try to find ways to improve the ventilation by opening windows and if possible, try to spend as much time outdoors. Also, please try to avoid being with people in the larger groups who have preexisting conditions or who fall into the at-risk age categories (65+).
ciscopack
Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

DoD Reported

Setting:

While the hospitalization trends is fairly flat (higher today), the percentage of Covid patients in ICU continues to head down and is below the last 30 day average. This is a positive, since ICU patients tend to have much worse outcomes.

The estimated (estimate active cases over 14 day period) percentage of Covid cases hospitalized in NC continues to trend down slightly.

I am concerned about Thanksgiving, with people traveling and being with larger groups. As I have repeatedly said, being indoors with large groups is not a wise move for people. If you have to be indoors, please try to find ways to improve the ventilation by opening windows and if possible, try to spend as much time outdoors. Also, please try to avoid being with people in the larger groups who have preexisting conditions or who fall into the at-risk age categories (65+).
No doubt. I'd recommend skipping a year to most families; our 60 or so people are skipping this year.

NC is doing better than most states with Covid-19!
JasonNCSU
It doesn't seem like the hospitals are that concerned about the numbers... They must be reading Davie's charts.... From WRALs article "NC's COVID hospitalizations at an all-time high. Here's who is the sickest":

At hospitals across the UNC Health network, spokesman Alan Wolf said, lessons learned in the spring about caring for COVID patients made doctors, nurses and administrators less worried about a new surge.

"While our infectious disease experts are worried about projections showing an increase in the number of people requiring hospitalization in coming weeks, especially with flu season looming, we are confident that our hospitals have enough capacity to care for all patients who need it," Wolf said.

Dr. Joseph Rogers, chief medical officer at Duke University Health System, said leaders there are monitoring local, regional and national trends.

"While there has been an increase in the number of cases reported in North Carolina, the number of COVID-positive patients hospitalized across our system has remained fairly stable over the past several weeks. At this point, it has not been necessary to implement any strategies to increase hospital bed capacity to accommodate a new surge in COVID cases, but we are prepared to make changes if required," he said.

At WakeMed, Chief Medical Officer Dr. Chris DeRienzo said while hospitalizations are up, there is no immediate concern about capacity.

"Today's COVID-19 hospital census remains well below our peak from several months ago and currently fewer than 30% of our hospitalized COVID-19 patients need ICU care. At this time, we do not anticipate needing to implement any limits or delays to elective surgeries and procedures," he said.

FlossyDFlynt
Of all the hospitals I work with (client has sites all over the country), only Oklahoma is having issues with regards to COVID patients, but its still not enough to disrupt their normal workflows as far as I know. Its obviously anecdotal, but thought I would throw that out there.
Wayland
JasonNCSU said:

It doesn't seem like the hospitals are that concerned about the numbers... They must be reading Davie's charts.... From WRALs article "NC's COVID hospitalizations at an all-time high. Here's who is the sickest":

At hospitals across the UNC Health network, spokesman Alan Wolf said, lessons learned in the spring about caring for COVID patients made doctors, nurses and administrators less worried about a new surge.

"While our infectious disease experts are worried about projections showing an increase in the number of people requiring hospitalization in coming weeks, especially with flu season looming, we are confident that our hospitals have enough capacity to care for all patients who need it," Wolf said.

Dr. Joseph Rogers, chief medical officer at Duke University Health System, said leaders there are monitoring local, regional and national trends.

"While there has been an increase in the number of cases reported in North Carolina, the number of COVID-positive patients hospitalized across our system has remained fairly stable over the past several weeks. At this point, it has not been necessary to implement any strategies to increase hospital bed capacity to accommodate a new surge in COVID cases, but we are prepared to make changes if required," he said.

At WakeMed, Chief Medical Officer Dr. Chris DeRienzo said while hospitalizations are up, there is no immediate concern about capacity.

"Today's COVID-19 hospital census remains well below our peak from several months ago and currently fewer than 30% of our hospitalized COVID-19 patients need ICU care. At this time, we do not anticipate needing to implement any limits or delays to elective surgeries and procedures," he said.

I was looking at the hospitalization numbers since they had been pretty stable in the last month. Just looking for a little silver lining and hope that we can continue to protect those most at risk.

NC's COVID ICU census is the lowest it has been since Oct 15. Small glimmer of hope.

Vast majority of the NON-ICU hospital growth in NC is Triad.

Since Oct 11th (so in the last month):
THPC 245 -> 369 (+124)
MHPC 248 -> 305 (+57)
CapRAC 59 -> 72 (+13)
EHPC 227 -> 165 (-62)
MAHPC 53 -> 56 (+3)
MCRHC 136 -> 126 (-10)
DHPC 94 -> 83 (-11)
SHPR 48 -> 44 (-4)

Total Hospitalization Change (not including Meck or Triad) since 10/11 is -71. Even with Meck it is -14

Why it is even more important that NC DHHS break down data regionally. And we get full hospital breakdown of 'from' COVID and 'with' COVID patients.

Hospitalizations for most of the state are basically the same flat number they have been for a month.
AlleyPack
Has there been any new "schools" news with regards to Cooper's latest edicts?
I'm specifically wondering how they can say "no more than 10 people inside," yet have 20+ in elementary classrooms.

(Not saying I agree or disagree with the reasoning/politics behind any of it.... it is what it is. Just wondering if anything might change, for planning purposes.)
Wayland
AlleyPack said:

Has there been any new "schools" news with regards to Cooper's latest edicts?
I'm specifically wondering how they can say "no more than 10 people inside," yet have 20+ in elementary classrooms.

(Not saying I agree or disagree with the reasoning/politics behind any of it.... it is what it is. Just wondering if anything might change, for planning purposes.)
The new order is only for IN HOME gatherings (Thanksgiving, parties), it is not directed to any location with an existing capacity restriction.
AlleyPack
Thanks!
I didn't know that.
ciscopack
FlossyDFlynt said:

Of all the hospitals I work with (client has sites all over the country), only Oklahoma is having issues with regards to COVID patients, but its still not enough to disrupt their normal workflows as far as I know. Its obviously anecdotal, but thought I would throw that out there.
Nothing in El Paso for sure....just ordered more morgue truck-trailers.

As Hospitalizations Soar, El Paso Brings In New Mobile Morgues

US hits record COVID-19 hospitalizations amid virus surge

Some hospitals are running out of health care workers.

Nationwide, 61,964 patients were hospitalized with Covid-19 on Tuesday, according to the Covid Tracking Project. That's the highest number since this pandemic began.

"We're already seeing our hospitals at breaking point in some parts of the country. And that means it doesn't just affect patients with coronavirus," Wen said.

"It also means that elective surgeries are being put off for things like hip replacements, for cancer surgery or heart surgery in some cases."

W MI hospitals work to make space for COVID-19 patients

As U.S. Breaks Hospitalization Records, N.Y. and Other States Add Restrictions

The Worst Day of the Pandemic Since May

COVID-19 spike stirs concern about shortage of hospital space, PPE

Covid-19 Live Updates: U.S. Hospitalizations Top 61,000, a Record

Gov. Brown pleads with Oregonians to stay home as COVID-19 strains hospital capacity

Lamont eyes hospitalizations as 36 more people admitted for COVID-19
Conn.

South Dakota leads all states in number of COVID-19 patients currently hospitalized per million

Ohio governor warns hospitals could be overwhelmed with COVID-19 cases in 'a few short weeks'

There is an obvious leadership vacuum. Who is in charge?
wilmwolf
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
ciscopack
Fauci says the Calvary is coming. If we social distance, wash hands and wear masks; the vaccines may get here in time to turn things around.
Ripper
Masks don't work for Covid. Still no evidence. The Danes, the Fins, and the Dutch know the deal. And of course the Swedes know.
Daviewolf83
FlossyDFlynt said:

For NC, below is the current available capacity for hospital beds, ICU beds, and ventilators. This data is through yesterday's report.

Civilized
Ripper said:

Masks don't work for Covid. Still no evidence. The Danes, the Fins, and the Dutch know the deal. And of course the Swedes know.

The Danes, Fins, and Dutch have all done a 180 on face masks this fall and now widely recommend or require their use.
Daviewolf83
Civilized said:

Ripper said:

The Danes, Fins, and Dutch have all done a 180 on face masks this fall and now widely recommend or require their use.

I agree 100%. People can continue to cherry-pick studies to try and justify not wearing mask, but the evidence for wearing a mask is pretty clear. As I have said before, wear a mask, social distance and wash your hands. These are the best rules to follow in public and when in large crowds - particularly when you are indoors with strangers. As a reminder, the rules on wearing a mask and social distancing are an "and" and not an "or".

If people in NC will follow these guidelines, we should be okay (from a hospital capacity standpoint) until the vaccine and treatments become more broadly available. The governor has been clear that while trends are concerning, he and Mandy Cohen believe we can stay at our current level of restrictions without having to take more drastic measures (other than limits of 10 or less for private, indoor gatherings).

As I posted earlier, NC is doing okay with regards to hospital capacity. If you use the current averages for percent of active cases hospitalized (4%) and the percent of Covid patients in ICU (28%), I would project that NC can handled 30,000 to 40,000 additional daily active cases and not exceed the ICU capacity. I am allowing for some margin of safety in these calculations and being somewhat conservative.

If cases get above 40,000 and approach 50,000, NC will definitely run the risk of filling all ICU capacity. I am sure some additional hospital beds could be converted to treat severe Covid patients (NC has enough ventilators and excess beds), but it is not something we need to test. Currently, NC has an estimated 27,000 active cases.

On the treatment front, it was reported last night that the Pfizer vaccine is likely to be approved and start distribution by the end of November (assuming the data checks out as many experts expect). As stated many times, the vaccine will first go to frontline workers and people who have high at-risk conditions. It could be many months before it rolls out more broadly. Additionally, while the Pfizer study is claiming 90% effectiveness, some statisticians who have looked at the early release of data believe the effectiveness could approach 97%.

Additionally, the monoclonal antibody treatment from Eli Lily that was approved by the FDA in the past week, is ready now for distribution and reportedly, it should start arriving in hospitals by in the next couple of weeks. It will be allocated for use on people in the early to middle stages of infection that have health conditions that make them higher risk.
Ripper
Civilized said:

Ripper said:

Window dressing. Recommendations only and a large majority of each country don't even bother with them. A group of high level Danish doctors and scientists have produced the only randomized and controlled study about the efficacy of masks and it didn't turn out so well for the mask. Not one doctor or scientist has provided real evidence that masks work for Covid. Just a lot of theoretical "studies" to keep the sheep in line. I have been in direct contact with multiple Public Health Dean's at a few Universities and they also refer to those same baseless, non proven "studies".

Having said all that, I still wear my mask when required because people freak out where I live. But it would nice if the public health professionals in the USA would conduct and publish proper studies to prove the real efficacies of masks on Covid.
ciscopack
Ripper said:

Civilized said:

Ripper said:

Window dressing. Recommendations only and a large majority of each country don't even bother with them. A group of high level Danish doctors and scientists have produced the only randomized and controlled study about the efficacy of masks and it didn't turn out so well for the mask. Not one doctor or scientist has provided real evidence that masks work for Covid. Just a lot of theoretical "studies" to keep the sheep in line. I have been in direct contact with multiple Public Health Dean's at a few Universities and they also refer to those same baseless, non proven "studies".

Having said all that, I still wear my mask when required because people freak out where I live. But it would nice if the public health professionals in the USA would conduct and publish proper studies to prove the real efficacies of masks on Covid.
Masks are different; I still have some 99.99% of all virus masks. All masks help and some are better than others; higher efficiency. One would think 9 months after the first death and after nearly 250,000 US deaths; we'd have more 99.99% efficient masks than anyone could buy! Studies -

Face Masks Against COVID-19: An EvidenceReview

April 10, 2020

Visualizing Speech-Generated Oral Fluid Droplets with Laser Light Scattering

Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks

Community Use Of Face Masks And COVID-19: Evidence From A Natural Experiment Of State Mandates In The US

Association of country-wide coronavirus mortality with demographics, testing, lockdowns, and public wearing of masks

"What you want is 100 percent of people to wear masks, but you'll settle for 80 percent," said Rutherford. In one simulation, researchers predicted that 80 percent of the population wearing masks would do more to reduce COVID-19 spread than a strict lockdown.

The bottom line is that any mask that covers the nose and mouth will be of benefit.

'Two-way street': CDC report says masks protect wearers and everyone else

Ripper
Covid has been around since January. It would be extremely easy for the Public Health professionals to do a real study on the efficacy of masks for Covid, like the Danes did. Just to make sure there are no unintended consequences, etc. They won't do it. Actually, at this point they can't do it. They hate egg on their face.
Wayland
Dashboard changes tomorrow.

Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

I am just viewing this as another challenge in trying to track the data over time, as the methodologies for reporting the data change. Also, with the change in hospital reporting, we should get a better idea as to the magnitude of people who have been in the hospital for more than 21 days.

I did notice the Hospital Demographics have not been updated today. They are still only reporting the demographic data through 11/6.
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

I am just viewing this as another challenge in trying to track the data over time, as the methodologies for reporting the data change. Also, with the change in hospital reporting, we should get a better idea as to the magnitude of people who have been in the hospital for more than 21 days.

I did notice the Hospital Demographics have not been updated today. They are still only reporting the demographic data through 11/6.
Interesting though is the claim that they were only counting COVID isolation cases to this point.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

Interesting though is the claim that they were only counting COVID isolation cases to this point.
Definitely. I am not sure if that was the practice in all of the hospitals doing the reporting. I have a contact in a very large hospital that should know this detail and I am going to follow up with them to see if this was their policy for reporting.
packgrad
Daviewolf83
packgrad said:

The only time my son does not wear a mask is when he is on the sidelines during the game with his helmet on or on the field during the game with his helmet on. If he removes his helmet on the sidelines, he has to pull his mask up. He wears a mask for all practices (mask built into practice helmet - removed daily for cleaning), wears a mask in weight room, and wears a mask during conditioning. Of course, he is being tested 3 days a week and is tested the day before their games, so the risk during the game is low.

I do not believe high schools will be testing before games, so risk is higher for them than college players. I know the athletes will not like it, but unless the schools can test like colleges (doubtful), I do not see how they avoid it.
FlossyDFlynt
ciscopack said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Nothing in El Paso for sure....just ordered more morgue truck-trailers.

As Hospitalizations Soar, El Paso Brings In New Mobile Morgues

US hits record COVID-19 hospitalizations amid virus surge

Some hospitals are running out of health care workers.

Nationwide, 61,964 patients were hospitalized with Covid-19 on Tuesday, according to the Covid Tracking Project. That's the highest number since this pandemic began.

"We're already seeing our hospitals at breaking point in some parts of the country. And that means it doesn't just affect patients with coronavirus," Wen said.

"It also means that elective surgeries are being put off for things like hip replacements, for cancer surgery or heart surgery in some cases."

W MI hospitals work to make space for COVID-19 patients

As U.S. Breaks Hospitalization Records, N.Y. and Other States Add Restrictions

The Worst Day of the Pandemic Since May

COVID-19 spike stirs concern about shortage of hospital space, PPE

Covid-19 Live Updates: U.S. Hospitalizations Top 61,000, a Record

Gov. Brown pleads with Oregonians to stay home as COVID-19 strains hospital capacity

Lamont eyes hospitalizations as 36 more people admitted for COVID-19
Conn.

South Dakota leads all states in number of COVID-19 patients currently hospitalized per million

Ohio governor warns hospitals could be overwhelmed with COVID-19 cases in 'a few short weeks'

There is an obvious leadership vacuum. Who is in charge?
Do you just respond to anything that doesnt meet your world view with a mountain of links that no one reads?
packgrad
Daviewolf83 said:

packgrad said:

The only time my son does not wear a mask is when he is on the sidelines during the game with his helmet on or on the field during the game with his helmet on. If he removes his helmet on the sidelines, he has to pull his mask up. He wears a mask for all practices (mask built into practice helmet - removed daily for cleaning), wears a mask in weight room, and wears a mask during conditioning. Of course, he is being tested 3 days a week and is tested the day before their games, so the risk during the game is low.

I do not believe high schools will be testing before games, so risk is higher for them than college players. I know the athletes will not like it, but unless the schools can test like colleges (doubtful), I do not see how they avoid it.

If I remember correctly, your family is a unique situation where another child is immunocompromised, so I understand your commitment to masks. I respectfully feel differently.

For this age group, it is ridiculous. The statistics are in. They are safe. Sure, someone young can die from the disease. Someone young can die from thousands of other things they are extremely unlikely to die of as well.

I think expecting wrestlers, basketball players, indoor track, volleyball players, etc to wear masks is ridiculous. They're not going to wear them most of the time. We can do the song and dance where we pretend they are, but it's not going to happen. Kind of like restaurants where they wear masks until they go back in the kitchen where nobody is looking.

They should just cancel the sports instead of this.
First Page Last Page
Page 178 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.