Coronavirus

2,006,411 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to a restaurant in the mountains early this week and none of the staff were wearing masks. We survived. Did seem weird though sadly.
Wolfpackrich1
Another super spreader event at the Whitehouse on election night. Chief of Staff Mark Meadow's now has corna virus.
Yes Mr. President it is overblown.
Trump has done nothing to help control this virus
ciscopack
3 straight days.....you're breaking records Donald John
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

With regards to people not wearing masks, that's on the stores. It's the stores who would get in trouble ostensibly if their patrons aren't complying, so if they aren't enforcing that, you may want to lodge a complaint. I personally see hardly anyone not wearing a mask. My experiences are admittedly limited, but between my normal runs to Teeter, Costco, Sam's, and the liquor store, the only time in recent memory I saw someone without a mask was a lady who was on oxygen last weekend, who honestly probably shouldn't even be in the grocery store.
Yeah, I'm tiring of the f'n lie that the libs like cisco keep wanting to tell about others not like them, not wearing masks... because it's pure bull**** - and while they know that, they keep parroting the line regardless.

I stopped at the ABC Store down here yesterday afternoon with nobody parked on either side of me, got out and started walking to pass the front of my car towards the front door (which was farther towards the right), and before I even cleared the front of my vehicle - realized I had forgot to grab my mask from hanging around the mirror - and as I'm subsequently reaching to open my passenger side door, some crazy ****ing white ***** starts literally screaming hysterically (and yes, I'm serious - it was absolutely ridiculous) "YOU CAN'T GO IN THERE WITHOUT A MASK ON!!!". (I mean I'm not even within 15 feet of this woman either)

I didn't even move my eyes to look at her as I'm starting to reach into my car and calmly responded "how about you let me worry about me, and you just worry about you"... then she exclaimed, "wwwell!, I wasn't trying to get all up in your business!"... again, I said "well, you sure could have fooled me"...

I finished getting my mask, put it on and went inside the store... started going down the same aisle that I always do and of course here she comes around the corner from the back wall with her bottle heading towards the register... I just stopped, politely moved to the side for her and didn't even look at her as she quickly shuffled and sped up to pass me.

As I'm walking back up towards the front with my product in hand, I hear her arguing with one of the agents working one of the two registers... and apparently she doesn't have her ID (LOL)... "wwwell!, it should be obvious to you that I'm of age!" Now, her voice wasn't as raised as it was with me - but it still had that distinct tone of *****iness to it - and this woman was easily in her 50's so her age was never the question.

The agent (part time guy) calmly explains to her that it is county policy to check all ID's of anybody - regardless of age - that is paying with a card (we are in a resort area and they started doing this about 18 months ago because a lot of purchases were getting made with stolen or duplicate fake cards and the County ABC Board was losing significant revenues in dollar amounts - so they are simply looking to make sure that the names match)... well, she kept on a little longer with the back and forth... "But, I'm [insert first and last name here], and I come in here all the time!"

The female manager calmly just tells the agent, "it's ok, go ahead"... so as I'm leaving and get in my car and back out, I end up behind her where she's waiting to turn right out of the parking lot onto the road... and, of course she's got Maryland plates... since I'm going that same direction, I turn out after her just like I might anybody else - after about 50 feet or so she suddenly realizes that I'm the person behind her and she absolutely guns it (the Speed Limit down on these interior beach roads like we were on is only like 25) and then literally screeches around the very next corner she comes to as if she thinks I might actually be "chasing" her... I keep going straight.

All I could do at that point was just burst out laughing. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I honestly just can't imagine someone actually acting like that. Anywhere. Anytime. It was pathetic. (and how can you go into a store and have your credit / debit card with you - but somehow not your ID anyway?)

But getting back to the masks, I've not even once gone into a place of business without a mask on - except I did get about five steps inside a Lowe's Home Improvement once before the light went off all of a sudden (and I went back to the car and retrieved it of course) - since this entire thing started... and believe me, I don't wear it for myself - or because I want to or think it protects me... I wear it as common courtesy and out of simple respect for others, just like almost everybody else I know does.

Easily 95%+ of people are wearing masks where they are supposed to be wearing them... many times, I can go into some place (like a grocery store) and not even see someone not wearing a mask at all... other times, there might be a random person or two here or there, but so what? I don't get all ****ing freaked out about it and throw myself up against the wall or store rack with my arms outstretched back against it like that person coming the other direction has the damn "coodies" or something... honestly, I tend to not even pay attention to what someone else is doing when I go into a retail business... except maybe on occasion, some remarkably attractive woman that you reflexively can't help but notice for that split second or two.

Now, I have participated in many, many business meetings not wearing a mask - but I only take it off if the other participants aren't wearing one and I know that it's okay with them... and I'm sure as hell, not wearing one in my own house either... but still, you hear the cisco's of the world going on and on and on about how those damn uneducated republican's just refuse to wear a damn mask on purpose - and if they would just listen, "all of this would have been over a long, long time ago!"

Well... for one - WE ARE WEARING OUR DAMN MASKS!... and two...

No. It. Wouldn't.

Even the bulk of the contractors at Lowe's are for the most part wearing them now (I prefer to use that entrance most of the time because it's closer to the products that I normally am shopping for there)... sure there's always going to be a stray person or a two or three guy group in those areas without them, but why should I give a **** ? Why should I let something like that faze me in the least.? Simple. I don't. Life is just too short, for me to want to go through living it requiring myself to be upset about one stupid thing or another all the time, that's out of my control anyway...

But at least I can rest assured in knowing that crazy woman from the ABC Store yesterday with the Maryland plates (who comes in there all the time by the way!?!) is precisely one of the one's that's going to be running this country for the next four years or longer... and I'm just dying to see how that's going to go (obvious sarcasm intended)...

One set of rules for themselves... a different set of rules for everybody else...

Sorry about the long rambling post, but I'm just sick and tired about hearing the falsehood constantly getting repeated about how this virus would just magically go away if we could just somehow force those stupid, ignorant, republican pigs (who only care about themselves) to wear a mask and learn to have "Loving Kindness" for others.

Maybe I need a drink this morning already?

ciscopack
TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

With regards to people not wearing masks, that's on the stores. It's the stores who would get in trouble ostensibly if their patrons aren't complying, so if they aren't enforcing that, you may want to lodge a complaint. I personally see hardly anyone not wearing a mask. My experiences are admittedly limited, but between my normal runs to Teeter, Costco, Sam's, and the liquor store, the only time in recent memory I saw someone without a mask was a lady who was on oxygen last weekend, who honestly probably shouldn't even be in the grocery store.
Yeah, I'm tiring of the f'n lie that the libs like cisco keep wanting to tell about others not like them, not wearing masks... because it's pure bull**** - and while they know that, they keep parroting the line regardless.

I stopped at the ABC Store down here yesterday afternoon with nobody parked on either side of me, got out and started walking to pass the front of my car towards the front door (which was farther towards the right), and before I even cleared the front of my vehicle - realized I had forgot to grab my mask from hanging around the mirror - and as I'm subsequently reaching to open my passenger side door, some crazy ****ing white ***** starts literally screaming hysterically (and yes, I'm serious - it was absolutely ridiculous) "YOU CAN'T GO IN THERE WITHOUT A MASK ON!!!". (I mean I'm not even within 15 feet of this woman either)

I didn't even move my eyes to look at her as I'm starting to reach into my car and calmly responded "how about you let me worry about me, and you just worry about you"... then she exclaimed, "wwwell!, I wasn't trying to get all up in your business!"... again, I said "well, you sure could have fooled me"...

I finished getting my mask, put it on and went inside the store... started going down the same aisle that I always do and of course here she comes around the corner from the back wall with her bottle heading towards the register... I just stopped, politely moved to the side for her and didn't even look at her as she quickly shuffled and sped up to pass me.

As I'm walking back up towards the front with my product in hand, I hear her arguing with one of the agents working one of the two registers... and apparently she doesn't have her ID (LOL)... "wwwell!, it should be obvious to you that I'm of age!" Now, her voice wasn't as raised as it was with me - but it still had that distinct tone of *****iness to it - and this woman was easily in her 50's so her age was never the question.

The agent (part time guy) calmly explains to her that it is county policy to check all ID's of anybody - regardless of age - that is paying with a card (we are in a resort area and they started doing this about 18 months ago because a lot of purchases were getting made with stolen or duplicate fake cards and the County ABC Board was losing significant revenues in dollar amounts - so they are simply looking to make sure that the names match)... well, she kept on a little longer with the back and forth... "But, I'm [insert first and last name here], and I come in here all the time!"

The female manager calmly just tells the agent, "it's ok, go ahead"... so as I'm leaving and get in my car and back out, I end up behind her where she's waiting to turn right out of the parking lot onto the road... and, of course she's got Maryland plates... since I'm going that same direction, I turn out after her just like I might anybody else - after about 50 feet or so she suddenly realizes that I'm the person behind her and she absolutely guns it (the Speed Limit down on these interior beach roads like we were on is only like 25) and then literally screeches around the very next corner she comes to as if she thinks I might actually be "chasing" her... I keep going straight.

All I could do at that point was just burst out laughing. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I honestly just can't imagine someone actually acting like that. Anywhere. Anytime. It was pathetic. (and how can you go into a store and have your credit / debit card with you - but somehow not your ID anyway?)

But getting back to the masks, I've not even once gone into a place of business without a mask on - except I did get about five steps inside a Lowe's Home Improvement once before the light went off all of a sudden (and I went back to the car and retrieved it of course) - since this entire thing started... and believe me, I don't wear it for myself - or because I want to or think it protects me... I wear it as common courtesy and out of simple respect for others, just like almost everybody else I know does.

Easily 95%+ of people are wearing masks where they are supposed to be wearing them... many times, I can go into some place (like a grocery store) and not even see someone not wearing a mask at all... other times, there might be a random person or two here or there, but so what? I don't get all ****ing freaked out about it and throw myself up against the wall or store rack with my arms outstretched back against it like that person coming the other direction has the damn "coodies" or something... honestly, I tend to not even pay attention to what someone else is doing when I go into a retail business... except maybe on occasion, some remarkably attractive woman that you reflexively can't help but notice for that split second or two.

Now, I have participated in many, many business meetings not wearing a mask - but I only take it off if the other participants aren't wearing one and I know that it's okay with them... and I'm sure as hell, not wearing one in my own house either... but still, you hear the cisco's of the world going on and on and on about how those damn uneducated republican's just refuse to wear a damn mask on purpose - and if they would just listen, "all of this would have been over a long, long time ago!"

No. It. Wouldn't.

Even the bulk of the contractors at Lowe's are for the most part wearing them now (I prefer to use that entrance most of the time because it's closer to the products that I normally am shopping for there)... sure there's always going to be a stray person or two or three guys group in those areas without them, but why should I give a ***** Why should I let something like that faze me in the least.? Simple. I don't. Life is just too short, for me to want to go through living it requiring myself to be upset about one stupid thing or another all the time, that's out of my control anyway...

But at least I can rest assured in knowing that crazy woman from the ABC Store yesterday with the Maryland plates (who comes in there all the time by the way!?!) is precisely one of the one's that's going to be running this country for the next four years or longer... and I'm just dying to see how that's going to go (obvious sarcasm intended)...

One set of rules for themselves... a different set of rules for everybody else...

Sorry about the long rambling post, but I'm just sick and tired about hearing the falsehood constantly getting repeated about how this virus would just magically go away if we could just somehow force those stupid, ignorant, republican pigs (who only care about themselves) to wear a mask and learn to have "Loving Kindness" for others.

kissy, kissy.....LMFAO Go ahead and get a case and send me the bill.
TheStorm
^ Thank god the only part of his posts, that I can see anymore is just the name on the header... and that is still more than I care to see anyway.
caryking
TheStorm said:

^ Thank god the only part of his posts, that I can see anymore is just the name on the header... and that is still more than I care to see anyway.
Storm, take him up on his offer. He said to get a case of mask and send him the bill. You should make him put his money where his mouth is. Hell, for that matter, Civ, who else are you willing to buy mask for?
Daviewolf83
TheStorm said:

Same for me and it is wonderful. I enjoy meaningful dialog when it is meant to advance understanding. When it is intended for political messaging or attacks on political views in a thread not meant to be political, I turn it off. I do not mind people who have a difference of opinion on a subject, as long as they can present original ideas and not just parrot talking points of their masters. If they can not, I no longer see the reason to engage.
ciscopack
caryking said:

TheStorm said:

Storm, take him up on his offer. He said to get a case of mask and send him the bill. You should make him put his money where his mouth is. Hell, for that matter, Civ, who else are you willing to buy mask for?
Now you're doing my thinking for me. He said that he needed a drink....I was talking a case of Liquor...not beer, not masks.... but liquor. I ain't shipping it....someone will have to ride out in the country east of Raleigh....where us rednecks live. No threats here....I'll buy "storm" a case of liquor! I would not have even read his post if "cisco" wasn't leading it off, near the top. I forget my mask some too and have to walk back to the suv/truck. I've had about 4 occasions where I was with someone and didn't have a mask and I participated....~3 times in a restaurant and one in a grocery store in Benson...Food Lion. Yes....I tried my best to keep distance. It's about doing the best you can to help get rid of this pandemic and yes, I could have refused to participate those ~4 times and been 100%. I was with someone and they didn't have a mask either.

Civilized
caryking said:

TheStorm said:

I just got here.

What are we arguing about?
ciscopack
Coronavirus Is Surging: How Severe Is Your State's Outbreak?
dogplasma
My son says the NC State admin, or at least his department, is of the belief that they'll still be remote for next fall semester. :|
Ripper
dogplasma said:

My son says the NC State admin, or at least his department, is of the belief that they'll still be remote for next fall semester. :|

That is horrible. The ruination of the American youth. If true, this is disgusting.
Steve Williams
Staff
TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

No. It. Wouldn't.

Even the bulk of the contractors at Lowe's are for the most part wearing them now (I prefer to use that entrance most of the time because it's closer to the products that I normally am shopping for there)... sure there's always going to be a stray person or a two or three guy group in those areas without them, but why should I give a **** ? Why should I let something like that faze me in the least.? Simple. I don't. Life is just too short, for me to want to go through living it requiring myself to be upset about one stupid thing or another all the time, that's out of my control anyway...

That was a pretty good damned read on a Sunday night.
Steve Williams
Staff
BTW, isn't it at least worth discussing why the United States has 4% of the world's population but is responsible for 20% of the world's covid cases. How is that even possible? Common sense would say we test more but yet, the media says that's not the reason for the numbers. Are we just a selfish collection of people that don't play by the rules? Are the numbers manipulated? What the heck is the truth?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/06/22/no-more-testing-doesnt-explain-rise-covid-19-cases-us/
packgrad
Testing. But other countries are starting to explode now. Now that we have a new president, we will start treating this virus like we should have from the start. It may be a bit delayed so we can pretend reaction wasn't based on politics, but life will be back to normal within the next year.
ciscopack
Steve Williams said:

BTW, isn't it at least worth discussing why the United States has 4% of the world's population but is responsible for 20% of the world's covid cases. How is that even possible? Common sense would say we test more but yet, the media says that's not the reason for the numbers. Are we just a selfish collection of people that don't play by the rules? Are the numbers manipulated? What the heck is the truth?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/06/22/no-more-testing-doesnt-explain-rise-covid-19-cases-us/

Too much work to prove what you're looking for but it can be found!
Pacfanweb
I agree with a few posts back: It's also my observation that most people are wearing masks, and it's been that way for a good long while now. Months.

So why is the virus supposedly spreading? Because "virus gonna virus" That's really the bottom line.

Kids aren't in school for the most part, nobody at games, no fairs, more people wearing masks by FAR than there were when the #'s were previously high....yet they say it's ramping up.

Civilized
Pfizer's Early Data Shows Vaccine Is More Than 90% Effective

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/health/covid-vaccine-pfizer.html?

Great news.
Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

I agree with a few posts back: It's also my observation that most people are wearing masks, and it's been that way for a good long while now. Months.

So why is the virus supposedly spreading? Because "virus gonna virus" That's really the bottom line.

Kids aren't in school for the most part, nobody at games, no fairs, more people wearing masks by FAR than there were when the #'s were previously high....yet they say it's ramping up.

Most schools started transitioning back in weeks ago (although it doesn't seem like that's a primary vector).

What's been long anticipated is a seasonal surge in the fall/winter due to more people spending time together inside as the weather gets colder.
RunsWithWolves26
Civilized said:

Great news.

You won't see me getting in when it first comes out. My brother is in the medical field, degree in clinical research and a doctorate in pharmacy who works in the Raleigh. I specifically ask him about the first wave of vaccines and he bluntly told me he wouldn't even consider getting it with the info they have so far on it. His opinion was to wait until they done even more research because of the side effects and negative information they were receiving so far on these first run vaccines.
Civilized
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Civilized said:

Great news.

You won't see me getting in when it first comes out. My brother is in the medical field, degree in clinical research and a doctorate in pharmacy who works in the Raleigh. I specifically ask him about the first wave of vaccines and he bluntly told me he wouldn't even consider getting it with the info they have so far on it. His opinion was to wait until they done even more research because of the side effects and negative information they were receiving so far on these first run vaccines.

For sure. I don't fall in one of the categories of Americans that will get it early anyway so it's moot but no way am I trying to be near the front of the line to be a medical guinea pig.
dogplasma
That's great news. Still no indication of how long it will remain effective? Could become an annual vaccine like the flu, I guess.
Daviewolf83
dogplasma said:

That's great news. Still no indication of how long it will remain effective? Could become an annual vaccine like the flu, I guess.
Also, no indication as to its impact on overall hospitalizations and mortality. I saw an update from the former Chief Science Officer at Pfizer (Dr. Mike Yeadon) last week where he said it could take 2-3 years before we know how effective any vaccine will be in reducing levels of infection and deaths.

It is definitely good news that the vaccine does seem to be effective in 90% of people who receive the vaccine. To Civilized's earlier point, most of us will not be candidates to receive the early doses of this vaccine or any of the other vaccines currently going through testing. The published plans I have seen (CDC planning document) indicate the first to receive the vaccine will be front-line healthcare workers and people who are the most vulnerable. Those with preexisting conditions that predispose them to bad outcomes and the elderly population.

Dr. Yeadon said that he believes if you are NOT a candidate to get the yearly flu vaccine, you should NOT be rushing out to get this vaccine. The numbers seem to back this up. If you are healthy and not in an at risk population, you should be the last on the list to get the vaccine.
dogplasma
Yeah, I doubt myself, my wife, or my kids will see a vaccine before late next year. My parents, OTOH, should be in an earlier group based on their age. Maybe after first responders and health care workers.

The clinical trials are what are supposed to keep us regular people from being guinea pigs. That's part of why it takes so long to develop a vaccine. Hopefully we aren't rushing that part of the process - I don't think we are.
PackBacker07
Steve Williams said:

Are we just a selfish collection of people...

Yes, without question.
Y'all means ALL.
TheStorm
PackBacker07 said:

Steve Williams said:

Yes, without question.
No. If we were churning out 40,000 tests a day in March and April we'd have had the same number of cases then that we are having now... percentages of cases per number of tests is only up slightly from where they were in August and September.

And apparently masks haven't stopped it either.
wilmwolf
Steve Williams said:

Well, as has been shared several times on this thread, the way in which we process our tests is different from many other places, which could be directly responsible for our numbers. I also have serious doubts about the numbers coming from places like China, Russia, and India to name a few. Americans are selfish, but I don't think there is any evidence of large numbers of people not obeying the rules, despite what the media would have you believe. At the end of the day, if you are testing more than anyone, and you have a broader threshold for what is considered a positive test based on how the samples are being cycled, you are going to end up with more positives.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Daviewolf83
TheStorm said:

PackBacker07 said:

Steve Williams said:

Yes, without question.
No. If we were churning out 40,000 tests a day in March and April we'd have had the same number of cases then that we are having now... percentages of cases per number of tests is only up slightly from where they were in August and September.

And apparently masks haven't stopped it either.
If you multiply 40,000 tests per day by the actual percent positive reported daily by NCDHHS, you can get a rough idea of the number of actual daily cases present in the population. The graph below shows this projection versus the actual reported daily new cases. For actual reported daily new cases, I used cases by date reported and not the cases by specimen date, since I do not have accurate data from NCDHHS reporting to show the actual daily percentage based on testing for this date. So, the graphs tend to aggregate the numbers.

What this graph also shows is cases have risen, irrespective of increased testing and they have been increasing since mid-September. Increased testing levels have enabled us to find more cases, but cases are going up. This is most reflected by the increase in hospitalizations, even though hospitalizations have not increased at the same rate as case increases. Given the difference in testing levels over time, the percent positive and the hospitalizations have been better indicators as to what is happening.

PackBacker07
Not getting into a debate on the details of your post, I think we as a society are very selfish in general. My comment was more in the macro and can be applied to a lot more than just COVID.
Y'all means ALL.
Ground_Chuck
Steve Williams said:

There are people on this board that don't believe the Earth is round. Why would you expect common sense here?
Ripper
Ground_Chuck said:

Steve Williams said:

There are people on this board that don't believe the Earth is round. Why would you expect common sense here?

There are also people on this board who think masks help prevent Covid 19. Modern day flat earthers.
packgrad
Ground_Chuck said:

Steve Williams said:

You are obsessed with that guy.
ciscopack
U.S. crosses 10 million COVID-19 cases as third wave of infections surges

1/5 of the world's total; over 1,000,000 cases in the last 10 days

Coronavirus 'is about to explode' before therapeutic counterattack, Dr. Scott Gottlieb says

Coronavirus updates: All 50 states see rise in new COVID-19 infections

kmb717
ciscopack said:

U.S. crosses 10 million COVID-19 cases as third wave of infections surges

1/5 of the world's total; over 1,000,000 cases in the last 10 days

Coronavirus 'is about to explode' before therapeutic counterattack, Dr. Scott Gottlieb says

Coronavirus updates: All 50 states see rise in new COVID-19 infections

I'm really not trying to be a jerk but what is the point of continuing to post these links? I'm pretty sure we all see these headlines already as they're on pretty much every news outlet daily. I come to this thread for the (mostly) intellectual discussions that are had, not just to see the same headlines I see everywhere else.
First Page Last Page
Page 177 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.