Coronavirus

1,980,636 Views | 19755 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Werewolf
SupplyChainPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And if Cooper was simply "doing the right thing", he would be vigorously condemning the mass gatherings of liberal protestors/rioters.

Condemning and taking appropriate steps to quell the violent mass gatherings.

But we all know he's not doing that.

He will vastly exceed his authority to stop people from going to church, or going to workout, or even go bowling, but he won't say a word (much less do anything) when thousands and thousands gather tightly together to break, burn, and hurt people.

No, it's very safe to say that Cooper isn't simply doing the right thing - exactly the opposite.
SupplyChainPack
"People are more important than property. Black lives do matter."
- Roy Cooper - just doing the right thing and keeping us safe from Covid-19.
packgrad
DrummerboyWolf
Story about over 1300 cases at the three campuses of the University of Alabama and ZERO hospitalizations.

https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed/horowitz-anatomy-of-a-casedemic-coronavirus
Being an N. C. State Fan Builds Great Character
SupplyChainPack
That's extraordinary. Really eye-opening in the context of everything we're hearing.
Civilized
SupplyChainPack said:

Not true. Keeping people terrified and having the NC media portray him as the one who can save us all is his play.

Don't forget, he lives in a bubble and assumes that we are all stupid, and will swallow any narrative that he puts out in coordination with the leftist media in NC.

Sadly, many will.

Stop being so dramatic.

Who's terrified?

What media is portraying him as a savior?

That sounds good when you say it but it's not actually happening. Terror isn't reigning, and he's not being cast as Corona Jesus.
Civilized
packgrad said:

What does this tell us?
wilmwolf
packgrad said:

That's been my feeling for a while now, even said as much in this thread. I am at the point where I don't think you can make hard scientific observations that most of the measures put in place have done anything. I think initially when people were told to stay home, that probably had an impact since you can't spread it if you are not in contact with people. But once people are back in contact with people, I really don't think any of the measures affect the spread. If you are around someone long enough that is contagious, in the right environment, you're probably going to get it (My ex, who I mentioned earlier in this thread was a nurse working in the Covid ward, got the virus a few days ago, presumably from work, wearing much better PPE than people wear to Walmart).

Any changes in numbers that happen to coincide with any measures put in place get touted as proof it's working, but I am just not sure that's the case. Correlation does not equal causation, but it has been viewed that way through much of this ordeal. If a state loosens restrictions and the numbers go up, bam, that's proof they shouldn't have opened up, without any further digging into the details of those numbers. That's even if you can trust the numbers, which I've lost the ability to do at this point.
Colonel Armstrong
Herd Immunity Threshold close to being met nationwide?
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

What does this tell us?

Virus gonna virus.
ncsualum05
I don't know what's going to happen in November but everyone is sick of Cooper and Dan Forest has been barnstorming the entire state campaigning non stop. I know that recently Cooper finally agreed to a debate when for the longest time he refused. His internal polling must be showing its tight or he's down. So I saw the ECU poll yesterday that had Trump +2 and Cooper +10. I understand NC splits regularly but there's no way in hell that's the case. No way Cooper is winning by 10 in Nov. He may win but it'll be close and mail in balloting is going to create problems in this state as well as everywhere.
FlossyDFlynt
ncsualum05 said:

I don't know what's going to happen in November but everyone is sick of Cooper and Dan Forest has been barnstorming the entire state campaigning non stop. I know that recently Cooper finally agreed to a debate when for the longest time he refused. His internal polling must be showing its tight or he's down. So I saw the ECU poll yesterday that had Trump +2 and Cooper +10. I understand NC splits regularly but there's no way in hell that's the case. No way Cooper is winning by 10 in Nov. He may win but it'll be close and mail in balloting is going to create problems in this state as well as everywhere.
If Forrest beats Cooper, the Democrats are going to have a rough election overall. And this is coming from a likely Forrest voter.
packgrad
Numbers are manipulated for political purposes. Arguments can be made doing nothing, in regards to lockdown, is as effective as lockdowns. The governor dictating what businesses can and can't be open is tyrannical, imo, especially at this point. In the beginning, sure. I disagreed with it at the time but everyone was trying to do the best they could with the little info they had. Now with the abundance of information available, I just do not understand at all how the governor can continue to decide which businesses get to make a living and which don't.

The virus is NOT what we thought it was. Can it kill you? Yes. Can it really suck if you get it? Yes. It's EXTREMELY unlikely to do either though.
Packchem91
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

What does this tell us?
Stats, man.
Didn't we just see one a week or so ago that said something to effect that in the towns in SC that had enacted mask policies, rates were down 40%, whereas in those w/o mask policies, they were up slightly over that same period?

So which is correct?

Ultimately, it seems we've reduced the burden on hospitals. The huge case crush on college campuses is interesting (though not surprising), but has not had any impact on hospitals.
Protect old people and those with pre-existing conditions...
so the risk remains what it has always been -- people who have no clue they actually have pre-existing conditions - including college kids. And I assume this is then the liability issue that leads colleges to avoid having them on campus.
PossumJenkins
Civilized said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Not true. Keeping people terrified and having the NC media portray him as the one who can save us all is his play.

Don't forget, he lives in a bubble and assumes that we are all stupid, and will swallow any narrative that he puts out in coordination with the leftist media in NC.

Sadly, many will.

Stop being so dramatic.

Who's terrified?

That sounds good when you say it but it's not actually happening. Terror isn't reigning, and he's not being cast as Corona Jesus.

Who's terrified? Is that really an honest question? I don't know or necessarily agree that the media has gone so far as to anoint Cooper a savior, but if you don't know a decent amount of people are still terrified we are living in a different world than one another.

There are people who still haven't left their homes since this began. Over 6 months. There are definitely people still living in terror.
Wayland
Wayland said:

Quote:

8/31/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
923 <- 84% reporting (was 917 at 88%)
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1368 Deaths are now Congregate (+2)
450 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (3)
+10 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

884 Deaths assumed General Population (+5)
1818 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+5)

353 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-1)
Nursing Homes 196 -> 195
Resident Care 104 -> 104
Correctional 46 -> 46
Other 8 -> 8
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 2716* deaths

1186 positive cases over 12899* new tests. 9.2% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 12899 but DHHS claims only `12077 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 8/31
8/29(5), 8/28, 8/27(3)

One new missing Date of Death
9/1/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
946 <- 92% reporting (was 923 at 84%)
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1390 Deaths are now Congregate (+22)
452 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (2)
+39 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

899 Deaths assumed General Population (+15)
1842 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+24)

352 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-1)
Nursing Homes 195 -> 193
Resident Care 104 -> 106
Correctional 46 -> 46
Other 8 -> 7
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 2734* deaths

2111 positive cases over 39526* new tests. 5.3% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 39626 but DHHS claims only 11824 completed tests******************
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dates of Death Reported 9/1
8/31(3), 8/30(9), 8/29(16), 8/28(4), 8/27(2), 8/26(3), 8/11
9/2/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
858 <- 79% reporting (was 946 at 92%)
Completed Tests

1408 Deaths are now Congregate (+18)
461 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+9)
+38 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

910 Deaths assumed General Population (+11)
1869 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+27)

346 Congregate Facilities now have an active outbreak. (-6)
Nursing Homes 193 -> 190
Resident Care 106 -> 103
Correctional 46 -> 45
Other 7 -> 8

WRAL is at 2778* deaths

1129 positive cases over 19612* new tests. 5.8% positive rate.

Delta completed tests 19612 but DHHS claims only 15870 completed tests

Dates of Death Reported 9/2
9/1(4), 8/31(12), 8/30(3), 8/29(4), 8/28(6),8/27, 8/26, 8/25(2), 8/24, 8/17, 8/13, 7/28

1 additional missing DoD (6 total)
Mormad
wilmwolf80 said:

packgrad said:

That's been my feeling for a while now, even said as much in this thread. I am at the point where I don't think you can make hard scientific observations that most of the measures put in place have done anything. I think initially when people were told to stay home, that probably had an impact since you can't spread it if you are not in contact with people. But once people are back in contact with people, I really don't think any of the measures affect the spread. If you are around someone long enough that is contagious, in the right environment, you're probably going to get it (My ex, who I mentioned earlier in this thread was a nurse working in the Covid ward, got the virus a few days ago, presumably from work, wearing much better PPE than people wear to Walmart).

Any changes in numbers that happen to coincide with any measures put in place get touted as proof it's working, but I am just not sure that's the case. Correlation does not equal causation, but it has been viewed that way through much of this ordeal. If a state loosens restrictions and the numbers go up, bam, that's proof they shouldn't have opened up, without any further digging into the details of those numbers. That's even if you can trust the numbers, which I've lost the ability to do at this point.

I would say this is a very strong argument that ppe is effective. We know it's not magic, that people being careful and using ppe can get it. But, if she works in a covid unit, and just now got it, wouldn't that suggest the measures taken work pretty damn well. I mean, when would she have gotten it without said measures? The second day she worked? Likely so.

We've had very very few medical staff over the past 5 months contract covid from work related exposures. Many work in the covid hospital daily where every single contact is with a contagious patient. Look at the college campuses. You don't have to be a genius to see this virus likes to virus. So, what's protecting the medical staff who purposefully comes in close, sustained contact with a highly virulent contagion many times per day? I'm not a very smart man, but I'd bet it's the ppe and hand washing. I'm really surprised that you're not one of the biggest believers in ppe among the non medical folks here.

But, what I've just argued is exactly why I disagree with the continued closing of our country. If we medical grunts can work in this sht every day and have very low transmission rates, then certainly we can go to Walmart or the gym and use the measures I think ARE proven effective and at least reduce our risk to the point that it's ridiculous to continue to ruin people with poor decisions made to garner votes.
Mormad
I don't know if terrified is the word, but there are definitely lots of intelligent, reasonable people who live in greater fear than I believe is reasonable.
statefan91
Below 900 hospitalization is awesome, TBD on the reporting % obviously.
Wayland
statefan91 said:

Below 900 hospitalization is awesome, TBD on the reporting % obviously.
My speculation is that number is off and that is why they haven't updated the downloads/hospital tab yet. I would love to see that kind of decrease, but it reads to me that someone didn't click the [Submit] button.
Civilized
Mormad said:

I would say this is a very strong argument that ppe is effective. We know it's not magic, that people being careful and using ppe can get it. But, if she works in a covid unit, and just now got it, wouldn't that suggest the measures taken work pretty damn well. I mean, when would she have gotten it without said measures? The second day she worked? Likely so.

We've had very very few medical staff over the past 5 months contract covid from work related exposures. Many work in the covid hospital daily where every single contact is with a contagious patient. Look at the college campuses. You don't have to be a genius to see this virus likes to virus. So, what's protecting the medical staff who purposefully comes in close, sustained contact with a highly virulent contagion many times per day? I'm not a very smart man, but I'd bet it's the ppe and hand washing. I'm really surprised that you're not one of the biggest believers in ppe among the non medical folks here.

But, what I've just argued is exactly why I disagree with the continued closing of our country. If we medical grunts can work in this sht every day and have very low transmission rates, then certainly we can go to Walmart or the gym and use the measures I think ARE proven effective and at least reduce our risk to the point that it's ridiculous to continue to ruin people with poor decisions made to garner votes.

Agree.

Require that we mask up and distance, and open up.

Let's get this show on the road.
Civilized
PossumJenkins said:

Civilized said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Sadly, many will.

Stop being so dramatic.

Who's terrified?

Who's terrified? Is that really an honest question? I don't know or necessarily agree that the media has gone so far as to anoint Cooper a savior, but if you don't know a decent amount of people are still terrified we are living in a different world than one another.

There are people who still haven't left their homes since this began. Over 6 months. There are definitely people still living in terror.

'Terror' is a loaded word.

Who hasn't left their home since this began? Some of the oldest and sickest among us. Nobody with a job to do is behaving this way. We know young people aren't. It's retirees, especially those at risk. Which is pragmatic.

There's a big difference between being pragmatic and 'living in terror'.
Daviewolf83
Mormad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

packgrad said:

I wish you were Governor, so I could attend my son's opening football game against Clemson next Saturday.

I am still at a loss why 1,000 parents are not allowed to socially distance and wear a mask in an effectively empty stadium. By my calculation, 97% of the seats in my son's stadium would have been empty with 1,000 family members in attendance. The school worked with the medical staff and health professionals from Wake's med school to put together various options for the Governor and DHHS to consider. The one option the coaches and administrators hoped to get approved was the one that had parents of players attend. The school was willing to keep the list limited to only parent's families and not even include the coache's and staff's families. All options were rejected by the Governor and DHHS and the earliest they will even consider changing the guidance is October. I am sure you know how frustrated we are about this situation. This will be the first activity my son (sports, band concerts, plays) has been involved in that I have ever missed.
wilmwolf
Mormad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

packgrad said:

There's two different parts of what I was saying, and I believe you to be conflating the two. Yes, her PPE absolutely worked, and worked well for her to get to this point before she got it.

What I am saying doesn't work is the measures for average Joe's, not in any significant way. It doesn't hurt, wash your hands, wear your masks, distance. Just don't be under false pretenses that the piece of cloth over your face is doing to prevent you from getting or spreading the virus. Lessen the chances, maybe, maybe, but if hospital level protocols aren't foolproof, mask mandates to the public definitely aren't going to be, and those in charge have acted like they are at times.
packgrad
Daviewolf83 said:

Mormad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

packgrad said:

I wish you were Governor, so I could attend my son's opening football game against Clemson next Saturday.

I am still at a loss why 1,000 parents are not allowed to socially distance and wear a mask in an effectively empty stadium. By my calculation, 97% of the seats in my son's stadium would have been empty with 1,000 family members in attendance. The school worked with the medical staff and health professionals from Wake's med school to put together various options for the Governor and DHHS to consider. The one option the coaches and administrators hoped to get approved was the one that had parents of players attend. The school was willing to keep the list limited to only parent's families and not even include the coache's and staff's families. All options were rejected by the Governor and DHHS and the earliest they will even consider changing the guidance is October. I am sure you know how frustrated we are about this situation. This will be the first activity my son (sports, band concerts, plays) has been involved in that I have ever missed.
It is ridiculous. I am totally fine with fans not being able to attend (mostly because I don't want that to be an excuse not to let them play.) I see no logic in not allowing families to attend. It is certainly not a decision based on science.
PossumJenkins
Civilized said:

PossumJenkins said:

Civilized said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Sadly, many will.

Stop being so dramatic.

Who's terrified?

Who hasn't left their home since this began? Some of the oldest and sickest among us. Nobody with a job to do is behaving this way. We know young people aren't. It's retirees, especially those at risk. Which is pragmatic.

I'm not digging back through his twitter feed but Alex Berenson highlighted a number of people maybe a month ago who had not left there homes since the beginning. Not his tweets mind you, just retweeting others who were stating this. They were all encouraging one another.
Mormad
I think there could and should be limited fan attendance. It could be done safely, especially in outdoor venues. It would cause some discontent among fans complaining how unfair it is for some to go and some not, but I feel strongly that with decent planning, common sense, and social responsibility among fans it could be done very safely. I bet they could EASILY make 20 percent capacity safe, and for those too worried to attend, there's always tv.

Now I'm very biased, but not allowing families to attend an outdoor sport in an open venue is simply assinine.
DrummerboyWolf
Mormad said:

I think there could and should be limited fan attendance. It could be done safely, especially in outdoor venues. It would cause some discontent among fans complaining how unfair it is for some to go and some not, but I feel strongly that with decent planning, common sense, and social responsibility among fans it could be done very safely. I bet they could EASILY make 20 percent capacity safe, and for those too worried to attend, there's always tv.

Now I'm very biased, but not allowing families to attend an outdoor sport in an open venue is simply assinine.
I agree with this. 20% of capacity would be easy to keep all the social distancing. Families could stay together since they are doing that anyway and it could probably be done without masks. Just more "dictates" from Governor Roy.
Being an N. C. State Fan Builds Great Character
Mormad
Yep. You can't tell me it's ok to grab a Oreo shake from the window at Cookout and walk by 60 people at Battleground park but it's not safe for me to buy a beer at the counter in the Carter and walk by a few people outdoors to get to my seat to sit with my family a few yards from your family.
wilmwolf
PossumJenkins said:

Civilized said:

PossumJenkins said:

Civilized said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Sadly, many will.

Stop being so dramatic.

Who's terrified?

I'm not digging back through his twitter feed but Alex Berenson highlighted a number of people maybe a month ago who had not left there homes since the beginning. Not his tweets mind you, just retweeting others who were stating this. They were all encouraging one another.
I know anecdotes don't mean much, but I personally know two families that haven't left home since this started. No existing issue or immunocompromised people in the family. They are parents in their late 30s or early 40s that worked from home already with kids under 10. Definitely the always afraid, helicopter mom types. In one case the husband goes out and gets groceries and whatnot, in the other, they've been solely delivery this whole time. Is that terror? I dunno, I guess that would depend on the definition. Paranoid, certainly. At the start of this with the uncertainty, I understood the behavior a little better, but now, I just wonder to what end can they continue to stay locked up, and what adverse affects it will have on their families.
Mormad
wilmwolf80 said:

PossumJenkins said:

Civilized said:

PossumJenkins said:

Civilized said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Sadly, many will.

Stop being so dramatic.

Who's terrified?

I know anecdotes don't mean much, but I personally know two families that haven't left home since this started. No existing issue or immunocompromised people in the family. They are parents in their late 30s or early 40s that worked from home already with kids under 10. Definitely the always afraid, helicopter mom types. In one case the husband goes out and gets groceries and whatnot, in the other, they've been solely delivery this whole time. Is that terror? I dunno, I guess that would depend on the definition. Paranoid, certainly. At the start of this with the uncertainty, I understood the behavior a little better, but now, I just wonder to what end can they continue to stay locked up, and what adverse affects it will have on their families.

I've experienced the same, my man. Most of those I know that are overly cautious, paranoid, terrified or whatever you wanna call them are middle aged healthy moms. Certainly not the elderly.

In my office, it's mostly the old patients who are just annoyed with this stuff and ask to remove their masks at some point during the appointment. They are the least paranoid to me. It's the younger ones (30s-50s) that I feel are gonna report me if I pull my mask down to get a breath while I'm talking to them. I've been a little surprised by that.
packgrad
Mormad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

PossumJenkins said:

Civilized said:

PossumJenkins said:

Civilized said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Sadly, many will.

Stop being so dramatic.

Who's terrified?

I've experienced the same, my man. Most of those I know that are overly cautious, paranoid, terrified or whatever you wanna call them are middle aged healthy moms. Certainly not the elderly.

In my office, it's mostly the old patients who are just annoyed with this stuff and ask to remove their masks at some point during the appointment. They are the least paranoid to me. It's the younger ones (30s-50s) that I feel are gonna report me if I pull my mask down to get a breath while I'm talking to them. I've been a little surprised by that.

Totally different line of work (multi family renovation) but the experience is similar. Today I'm out on a property, in the scorching heat, doing an estimate for a multi family community mostly comprised of the elderly. I had 3 old women come out to talk to me at different times about the project. None wearing masks. None distancing. Two of them told me I didn't have to wear mine when I pulled my gaiter up. I kindly explained that I wasn't worried about infecting them or them infecting me but I had to wear it. Social media destroy businesses and I don't need a pic of me talking to someone maskless causing me problems with my customers. On my communities with younger residents, almost everyone I meet with and speak with on site masks up before speaking with me.
wilmwolf
The old people in my life don't care. At all. You can't keep them from going out and doing what they want to do. My 95 year old Granny says if she gets the virus, then it was her time.
Mormad
Yep, and they've earned it
FlossyDFlynt
wilmwolf80 said:

PossumJenkins said:

Civilized said:

PossumJenkins said:

Civilized said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Sadly, many will.

Stop being so dramatic.

Who's terrified?

Just one man's opinion, but that is no way to live your life. I am taking the precautions the state deems even though I may not agree with them. As I have said to some other friends, I realize that my situation is unique compared to most of my friends (live alone, no kids, etc), but I am not living my life hiding in my house. Thats a miserable existence and if we were still on the same lockdown orders as we were in March, I think I legit may be in the nut house by now.
First Page Last Page
Page 152 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.