Coronavirus

2,000,687 Views | 19842 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by Werewolf
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

^^ And exactly the next person I expected to chime in...

When you can't dispute the facts, just pound the podium and engage in rhetoric!

Am I wrong?

Does mask wearing break down along demographic lines, or not?
That "article" does not accurately reflect what I see everyday in my own personal experiences, so no... I do not agree that it breaks down in that manner. I know that I wear a mask when I am supposed to and the vast majority of everyone I know and work with has been as well (from the very start, not just after the political mandate). People I don't know, I can see some of those demographics... and people from the NorthEast corridor down here in heavy numbers on vacation where I live, I can see and hear them as well.

So yes, someone on the left wrote another story... whoop dee doo.
Civilized
TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Am I wrong?

That "article" does not accurately reflect what I see everyday in my own personal experiences, so no... I do not agree that it breaks down in that manner. I know that I wear a mask when I am supposed to and the vast majority of everyone I know and work with has been as well (from the very start, not just after the political mandate). People I don't know, I can see some of those demographics... and people from the NorthEast corridor down here in heavy numbers on vacation where I live, I can see and hear them as well.

How do State grads, many with backgrounds in math and science, prioritize 'their own personal experiences' over professional polling organizations that collect data on tens or hundreds of thousands of 'personal experiences'?

That type of myopia is what leads to terrible, completely uninformed decisions.

The article I linked is not one dude's opinion about his 'personal experiences'. It's reporting on a study by Gallup. A professional polling organization that maintains a database of 100,000 Americans that it polls to gather data.

It's no wonder so many of you have wild-ass (or maybe just "different" as packgrad colloquially says) opinions when you ignore massive amounts of data and rely instead on your 'personal experiences' that are a data set of 1.
packgrad
Because a poll of what people say they do totally is scientific. Why are the black and Hispanic communities being hit disproportionately hard by Covid 19 if they wear masks?
RunsWithWolves26
Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Am I wrong?

How do State grads, many with backgrounds in math and science, prioritize 'their own personal experiences' over professional polling organizations that collect data on tens or hundreds of thousands of 'personal experiences'?

That type of myopia is what leads to terrible, completely uninformed decisions.

The article I linked is not one dude's opinion about his 'personal experiences'. It's reporting on a study by Gallup. A professional polling organization that maintains a database of 100,000 Americans that it polls to gather data.

It's no wonder so many of you have wild-ass (or maybe just "different" as packgrad colloquially says) opinions when you ignore massive amounts of data and rely instead on your 'personal experiences' that are a data set of 1.

They also said Clinton would win by a good margin. I tend to believe what my eyes see and my own personal experience over some random person calling other random people and asking questions. But hey, that's just me. I've found lots of people tend to lie to pollsters more often then not but then again, you go ahead and believe those polls. When one comes out that you don't agree with, you will discredit it and say it's not true because of this or that. Regardless and again, I believe my own personal experience over some random people calling other random people.
bigeric
I look askance at the myriad public polls and public polling organizations when they do not also publish the questions used and the make-up of their database(s). You never hear of the for-profit polling companies and their polls simply because they are private and have to be accurate.

Sorry. Let's get back to the 'Rona data and discussion.
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Because a poll of what people say they do totally is scientific. Why are the black and Hispanic communities being hit disproportionately hard by Covid 19 if they wear masks?
I think that is a fair question....and I would think it is because even if they generally comply while in public places....they don't always comply and they surely don't comply at home (like most of us), where those two ethnic groups are much more likely to have multi-generational, crowded housing? I'm guessing the questions asked in these polls didn't necessarily account for those types of things?

And those groups often fulfill jobs that require them to be onsite, and at times, may be impractical to wear a mask, making them more susceptible? Which they then take home and spread amongst their extended families?

I'll also ask you a question....why is Canada, Europe, and most of Asia so much better off right now than we are in terms of cases, hospitilizations, and deaths? I'll cede to you if you want to say because Asian countries lie to the media (at least China).but western Europe and Canada have grinding medias as well.
Wayland
statefan91
FYI the poll that was linked didn't have a breakout by Race

My kids have been back in daycare for about two months and they just called that they've got their first confirmed case of COVID. They won't tell us who or what classroom so working through how to get a test. Sounds like standard procedure is for them to close down for two weeks. Not sure it will make sense to pay for daycare if they close down for two weeks for any case.
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

My kids have been back in daycare for about two months and they just called that they've got their first confirmed case of COVID. They won't tell us who or what classroom so working through how to get a test. Sounds like standard procedure is for them to close down for two weeks. Not sure it will make sense to pay for daycare if they close down for two weeks for any case.
Sorry to hear....I'm sure as a parent that is unnerving. I understand the impact of closing and why that makes it so tough for parents of young kids....but, would you have preferred they stay open (and perhaps only closed the room impacted?)

Civilized
packgrad said:

Got it.

TheStorm's 'personal experiences' are more accurate than a professional polling organization with a data set approaching 100,000 people.

You can't make this bull**** up.

I still find it so crazy that some of y'all say this stuff and actually had to make it through Stat 101 or a chemistry or physics lab at State. Or maybe you didn't, I dunno? Maybe y'all were English or History majors and didn't do anything quantitative in college.

How about this: instead of pontificating on what "you think" or your 'personal experiences' go find a decent study that shows mask wearing does NOT break down along demographic lines.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Got it.

TheStorm's 'personal experiences' are more accurate than a professional polling organization with a data set approaching 100,000 people.

You can't make this bull**** up.

I still find it so crazy that some of y'all say this stuff and actually had to make it through Stat 101 or a chemistry or physics lab at State. Or maybe you didn't, I dunno? Maybe y'all were English or History majors and didn't do anything quantitative in college.

How about this: instead of pontificating on what "you think" or your 'personal experiences' go find a decent study that shows mask wearing does NOT break down along demographic lines.

Right after you find a study explaining why blacks and Hispanics tend to be affected disproportionately by COVID-19 while wearing masks.

You literally can't make this **** up that people that went to State still believe you can't make a poll say whatever you want it to say.
wilmwolf
For ****s sake.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
statefan91
Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Sorry to hear....I'm sure as a parent that is unnerving. I understand the impact of closing and why that makes it so tough for parents of young kids....but, would you have preferred they stay open (and perhaps only closed the room impacted?)

Yes that would be my preference, but apparently the person infected is a teacher that isn't contained in a room so they have to assume everyone is impacted.

We're doing a virtual visit with pediatrician tomorrow and then hopefully getting them tested.
packgrad
statefan91 said:

Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Yes that would be my preference, but apparently the person infected is a teacher that isn't contained in a room so they have to assume everyone is impacted.

We're doing a virtual visit with pediatrician tomorrow and then hopefully getting them tested.

FWIW, since your kid is the same grade as my wife's school, they are in MTTHF with the full class. Wednesdays off for cleaning. Her school has to be in fully for funding though.
Wayland
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Quote:

7/16/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1134 <- 90% reporting (was 1142 at 89% yesterday) Higher % Lower Total. Stable
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
888 Deaths are now Congregate (+6)
196 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+7)
+20 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

504 Deaths assumed General Population (+7)
1084 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+13)

283 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+19)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 1604* deaths

2160 positive cases over 28,120 new tests. 7.7% positive rate.
7/17/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1180 <- 90% reporting (was 1134 at 91% yesterday) Higher % Higher Total. New High
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
892 Deaths are now Congregate (+4)
204 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+8)
+18 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

510 Deaths assumed General Population (+6)
1096 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+12)

293 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+10)
Nursing Homes 147 -> 155
Resident Care 99 -> 100
Correctional 24 -> 25
Other 13 -> 13
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 1629* deaths

2051 positive cases over 31,217 new tests. 6.7% positive rate.
*DHHS added 31,217 new tests today but claims only 25,555 completed tests.

Deaths by Date of Death 7/17 - 18 new deaths, 1 previously missing.
7/16(3), 7/15(6), 7/14(3), 7/10(2), 7/9, 7/1, 6/28(2), 6/25
It appears one death may have been added that was previously missing a date.

Cumberland, Wake, and Meck each with 3 deaths reported today.
7/18/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1154 <- XX% reporting (was 1180 at 90% yesterday)
Completed Tests

897 Deaths are now Congregate (+5)
210 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+6)
+23 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

522 Deaths assumed General Population (+12)
1107 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+11)

300 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+7)
Nursing Homes 155 -> 157
Resident Care 100 -> 104
Correctional 25 -> 25
Other 13 -> 14

WRAL is at 1634* deaths

2481 positive cases over 35,619 new tests. 7.1% positive rate.

New high (by 19 cases) comes after last new high, maybe back to patterned reporting.

Day over day delta in completed tests is 35,619, but DHHS says it is only 23,440.

Deaths today, 3 Wake and 3 Meck again.
23 Deaths reported 7/18 by Date of Death:
7/17(4), 7/16(7), 7/15(3), 7/14(2), 7/12(5). Two deaths with no date.

Today's number of new tests is the highest delta day over day yet! Also there are some positive signs with plateauing when looking back 9 days based on Date of Specimen collection being mostly complete. Hopefully things can level or trend down soon.

7/19/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1115 <- 86% reporting (was 1154 at 90% yesterday)
Completed Tests

898 Deaths are now Congregate (+1)
212 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+2)
+5 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

524 Deaths assumed General Population (+2)
1110 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+3)

290 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (-10)
Nursing Homes 157 -> 149
Resident Care 104 -> 103
Correctional 25 -> 24
Other 14 -> 14

WRAL is at 1651* deaths

1820 positive cases over 15721 new tests. 11.6% positive rate.

It looks like the reporting lag has settled on a pattern and being a Sunday we are seeing more electronic and less lab cases. We will see if any lag changes affect this new pattern (with the peak Saturday).
Part of the reason for the case drop on Sundays is that the last few days of the lagging data (9 days out) now fall on a weekend, so there are less of those lagged cases to report. We'd expect tomorrow to be about the same and then a small bump up on Tuesday as the lagged cases (9 days out) now start falling on a weekday again.

Going to review county data, but don't expect to see much on a Sunday.

Deaths today: 7/18, 7/17(3), 7/15
7/20/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1086 <- 86% reporting (was 1115 at 86% yesterday)
Completed Tests

900 Deaths are now Congregate (+2)
216 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+4)
+8 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

526 Deaths assumed General Population (+2)
1116 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+6)

287 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (-3)
Nursing Homes 149 -> 147
Resident Care 103 -> 102
Correctional 24 -> 24
Other 14 -> 14

WRAL is at 1676* deaths

1268 positive cases over 29024 new tests. 4.4% positive rate.

Dates of Death Reported 7/20
7/19(2), 7/17(2), 7/16, 7/10, 7/7, 7/6, 6/30, 6/26
8 deaths + 2 previously missing deaths given dates.

Second consecutive day of net drop in congregate outbreaks.

Cases really low. I expected low but not THAT low, so I don't know if that lag is recovered already or it is waiting to drop.
7/21/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1179 <- 92% reporting (was 1086 at 86% yesterday) New high by 1
Completed Tests

906 Deaths are now Congregate (+6)
225 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+9)
+26 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

537 Deaths assumed General Population (+11)
1131 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+15)

295 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+8)
Nursing Homes 147 -> 150
Resident Care 102 -> 108
Correctional 24 -> 24
Other 14 -> 13

WRAL is at 1680* deaths

1815 positive cases over 35103 new tests. 5.2% positive rate.

Delta Tests is 35103, but DHHS says 24087

Dates of Death Reported 7/21
7/20(5), 7/19(5), 7/18(4), 7/17(3), 7/16(3), 7/12, 7/11, 7/9, 7/4 and 2 missing dates

Cases back up a little, but unless there is some super duper lag.. things trending down some.

Hospitalizations big jump out of EHCP (maybe someone who hadn't been reporting?) and MHPC continues to go up despite cases going down. Other hospital groups stable with declining ICU. Would love more insight into what is going on in Charlotte that isn't elsewhere.

Seems like they don't care about finding location of death anymore, 9 unknown is kind of slack.
7/22/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1137 <- 90% reporting (was 1179 at 92% yesterday)
Completed Tests

915 Deaths are now Congregate (+9)
231 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+6)
+30 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

552 Deaths assumed General Population (+15)
1146 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+15)

304 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+9)
Nursing Homes 150 -> 154
Resident Care 108 -> 110
Correctional 24 -> 27
Other 13 -> 13

WRAL is at 1703* deaths

2140 positive cases over 32823 new tests. 6.5% positive rate.

Delta Tests is 32,823, but DHHS says 31,815

Dates of Death Reported 7/22
7/21, 7/20(8), 7/19(3), 7/18(4), 7/17(3), 7/15, 7/14(4), 7/13(2), 6/28(2), 1 DHHS Missing Date = 29
1 I didn't find a date for. Double checking to see if I missed it.

County Deaths:
Brunswick, Burke(2), Cumberland, Gaston(2), Harnett, Hoke, Iredell(2), Meck(2), Montgomery, Moore(4), Nash(3), Pender, Randolph, Richmond, Union, Wake(6)

EDIT: RE HOSPITALIZATIONS. It looks like New Hanover Regional Medical Center DID NOT REPORT today. They account for 80%+ of hospitalized patients in SHPR so their ~50 missing patients is significant.
7/23/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1188 <- 94% reporting (was 1137 at 90% yesterday)
Completed Tests

929 Deaths are now Congregate (+14)
235 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+4)
+28 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

562 Deaths assumed General Population (+10)
1164 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+18)

314 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+10)
Nursing Homes 154 -> 160
Resident Care 110 -> 114
Correctional 27 -> 26
Other 13 -> 14

WRAL is at 1734* deaths

1892 positive cases over 31855 new tests. 5.9% positive rate.

Delta Tests is 31,855, but DHHS says 30,430

Dates of Death Reported 7/23 - LAG DAY
7/22(3), 7/21(3), 7/20(3), 7/19(1), 7/18(1), 7/16(2), 7/15, 7/14(2), 7/12, 7/10, 7/9, 7/8, 6/30(2), 6/26, 6/11, 5/29(2), 5/17, and 1 missing date

It looks like they adjusted yesterday hospitalizations to be 1188 to match today and a new high. Still only 9 higher than 1 week ago.

Case trends still holding in decline as of 9 day lag window.

Still reviewing county data.
County Deaths
5 for Duplin
4 for Pitt
no other county more than 2.
There are your likely culprits for the lag.

Another oddity with county data. County reported cases today only add up to 1747. There are 145 cases that don't have an assignment. The last time that happened with that kind of difference came on the announcement of the extension of Phase 2.
Daviewolf83
Below is a graph of the cases announced today (1,892) reflecting the date the sample was taken to run the tests. Since a few of these cases extend back 17 days, some of these cases may have already recovered from the virus, based on an average recovery time of 14 days.

Wayland
I am rechecking to see if something is off on my county counts.... but that ~150 missing cases is unusual. Like I said, last time we had that was when DHHS pushed ahead unassigned cases to boost numbers for the Phase 2 extension announcement.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

I am rechecking to see if something is off on my county counts.... but that ~150 missing cases is unusual. Like I said, last time we had that was when DHHS pushed ahead unassigned cases to boost numbers for the Phase 2 extension announcement.
The bars in the cases chart I posted add up to 1,884 cases, so it is just off from a 8 cases to meet the total reported today by NCDHHS (1,892). Also, here is a graph showing a distribution of the deaths by date of death for the deaths announced today. The bars in the graph of deaths add up to 27.

Wayland
Ya, they added one to the missing date of death count (think it is at 5 right now).

I agree with the count for date of reported.

It just bothers me that the county total is that off because of what happened the last time that occurred.
Wayland
CLI is out early this week.

Bonus positive. For third straight week, Percent positive at PHE facilities is down.

Three weeks ago, 13545 tests to find 1423 positive
Two weeks ago, 14070 tests to find 1315 positive
Last week, 16857 tests to find 1436 positive
This week, 15871 tests to find 1270 positive

Percent positive at PHE hospitals decreasing

More CLI patients at the ED, but less are being admitted.

ICU admits up slightly. Still below late May/Early June numbers.

And Mandy's only chart from CLI she uses. We are up from 2.5% a few weeks ago to 4% of ED visits for CLI (not necessarily COVID positive, but a "COVID LIKE ILLNESS". I think this graph partially shows a change in care seeking behavior, but since it is Mandy's favorite, I'll put it up.

acslater1344
TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Am I wrong?

hahaha couldn't help but laugh at that first sentence.

Storm: show me data to prove your point!

Civilized: *shows data*

Storm: this data doesn't agree with my opinion! it's BS!!!

Sad... but funny.
ncsualum05
Wayland said:

CLI is out early this week.

Bonus positive. For third straight week, Percent positive at PHE facilities is down.

Three weeks ago, 13545 tests to find 1423 positive
Two weeks ago, 14070 tests to find 1315 positive
Last week, 16857 tests to find 1436 positive
This week, 15871 tests to find 1270 positive

Percent positive at PHE hospitals decreasing

More CLI patients at the ED, but less are being admitted.

ICU admits up slightly. Still below late May/Early June numbers.

And Mandy's only chart from CLI she uses. We are up from 2.5% a few weeks ago to 4% of ED visits for CLI (not necessarily COVID positive, but a "COVID LIKE ILLNESS". I think this graph partially shows a change in care seeking behavior, but since it is Mandy's favorite, I'll put it up.

Mandy.... oh Mandy.
Packchem91
Haaaa.I prefer Chris Stapleton and wife's version of Amanda more than just Mandy!
Civilized
packgrad said:

Right after you find a study explaining why blacks and Hispanics tend to be affected disproportionately by COVID-19 while wearing masks.

You literally can't make this **** up that people that went to State still believe you can't make a poll say whatever you want it to say.

What are you adding to this conversation?

Lumber said this:

lumberpack5 said:

I suspect there are strong correlations between wearing or not wearing a mask and education level, rural or metro residence, race, and party ID.

RunsWW and TheStorm clowned him for it.

Except...Lumber is exactly right.

I posted a study that supported exactly what he was saying. Wearing masks breaks strongly along party lines, geographic location, and education.

He didn't deserve to be clowned by those two, or by you if that's what you're poorly attempting to do.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Lumber said this:

lumberpack5 said:

I suspect there are strong correlations between wearing or not wearing a mask and education level, rural or metro residence, race, and party ID.

I posted a study that supported exactly what he was saying. Wearing masks breaks strongly along party lines, geographic location, and education.

He didn't deserve to be clowned by those two, or by you if that's what you're poorly attempting to do.
Umm... no you didn't. But I'm done with your thread derailing today. Buh bye.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Lumber said this:

lumberpack5 said:

LOL, classic. We need CLT with one of his memes of the little boy taking his basketball and running home with it.
packgrad
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Lumber said this:

lumberpack5 said:

LOL, classic. We need CLT with one of his memes of the little boy taking his basketball and running home with it.

Nah, cheerleader. Just a matter of trying to respect other people are reading this thread and looking at it for info. If you want to start another thread about whoever you want to cheerlead for today, I'm happy to oblige.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Lumber said this:

lumberpack5 said:

Nah, cheerleader. Just a matter of trying to respect other people are reading this thread and looking at it for info. If you want to start another thread about whoever you want to cheerlead for today, I'm happy to oblige.
I answered your question today....I'd be interested in you answering mine: why is US so far behind in every metric compared to Asia, Europe and Canada? All of those countries have had significantly more success beginning to revert to normal lives w/o rampant hospitalizations.

What did they do (or not do) to be in such a position that they are actually blocking us from coming there now?
packgrad
Couldn't tell you.
bigeric
Are viruses reactive with copper?
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
BruceDouble
I had an employee get positive test results last week. Symptoms developed after work one night. Directly exposed 2 other employees while riding in truck for maybe 4-5 total hrs over 3 days. Employee wore a mask entire time while riding in truck as it's our policy. It's the only time we can't socially distance outside.

Other 2 employees were not wearing a mask the entire time. They just got their tests results back today and both were negative. Was it a fluke? Maybe, but we're using it a learning experience for every other employee as to why it's important to wear a mask when they're supposed to.

Hate to keep the mask thing going but just thought I'd share.
Civilized
BruceDouble said:

I had an employee get positive test results last week. Symptoms developed after work one night. Directly exposed 2 other employees while riding in truck for maybe 4-5 total hrs over 3 days. Employee wore a mask entire time while riding in truck as it's our policy. It's the only time we can't socially distance outside.

Other 2 employees were not wearing a mask the entire time. They just got their tests results back today and both were negative. Was it a fluke? Maybe, but we're using it a learning experience for every other employee as to why it's important to wear a mask when they're supposed to.

The story of those two midwestern hairdressers a few weeks ago that exposed like 140 clients to COVID but none of them got sick (both hairdressers and their clients were wearing masks) was equally compelling.

Glad your staff doesn't seem to have virus spread. I guess the two that weren't wearing a mask in the truck were violating policy? I bet they don't make that mistake again.

One of my staff was sure she was going to be diagnosed the week after the 4th. Hung out with her sister over July 4th, spent all day sitting beside her mostly indoors without masks (small group, family setting). Her sister's boyfriend was diagnosed that next Wednesday. I sent her home after she got the news and she worked from home through that week and the next week too until it had been 14 days since she was exposed to her sister. Never developed symptoms. She's client-facing too so it would have been a little bit of a mess if she developed symptoms or tested positive but we got lucky.
Wayland
Wonder if NC will see anything like this?

RunsWithWolves26
BruceDouble said:

My aunt tested positive. Was around 15-20 family members hugging, hanging out, family gathering. None of them tested positive and none were wearing mask. Could be a fluke thing like your situation. Who knows?? Honestly don't know
packgrad
Fauci's aim is consistent.

First Page Last Page
Page 127 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.