Coronavirus

2,006,756 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
acslater1344 said:

TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

^^ And exactly the next person I expected to chime in...

When you can't dispute the facts, just pound the podium and engage in rhetoric!

Am I wrong?

Does mask wearing break down along demographic lines, or not?
That "article" does not accurately reflect what I see everyday in my own personal experiences, so no... I do not agree that it breaks down in that manner. I know that I wear a mask when I am supposed to and the vast majority of everyone I know and work with has been as well (from the very start, not just after the political mandate). People I don't know, I can see some of those demographics... and people from the NorthEast corridor down here in heavy numbers on vacation where I live, I can see and hear them as well.

So yes, someone on the left wrote another story... whoop dee doo.

hahaha couldn't help but laugh at that first sentence.

Storm: show me data to prove your point!

Civilized: *shows data*

Storm: this data doesn't agree with my opinion! it's BS!!!

Sad... but funny.
But yet neither one of you two ever seem to comment on the NCDHHS data as it actually is v. what the Governor and Health Secretary consistently say it is... you're all Sergeant Shultz when it comes to something that gets posted every single day and the data is right in front of you (but doesn't say what your political party says it does)... but let another left leaning article come out and it's the gospel.

Masks this, Masks that. Masks, Masks, Masks, Masks, Masks!

Point out to me one person posting on this thread that says they won't wear a mask because of their political party? (besides one total loon)

Dumb ****s.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

acslater1344 said:

TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Am I wrong?

That "article" does not accurately reflect what I see everyday in my own personal experiences, so no... I do not agree that it breaks down in that manner. I know that I wear a mask when I am supposed to and the vast majority of everyone I know and work with has been as well (from the very start, not just after the political mandate). People I don't know, I can see some of those demographics... and people from the NorthEast corridor down here in heavy numbers on vacation where I live, I can see and hear them as well.

Sad... but funny.
But yet neither one of you two ever seem to comment on the NCDHHS data as it actually is v. what the Governor and Health Secretary consistently say it is... you're all Sergeant Shultz when it comes to something that gets posted every single day and the data is right in front of you (but doesn't say what your political party says it does)... but let another left leaning article come out and it's the gospel.

Point out to me one person posting on this thread that says they won't wear a mask because of their political party? (besides one total loon)

Dumb ****s.
Nah, just screaming about it being politics and "a ploy about NOV". While large states w/GOP governors now scramble to employ some of the same measures.
I think one could just as easily argue that some of the decisions to ignore any reasonable concern about the virus were also political and focused on NOV....just from the President, who we know exerted pressure on GOP governors.
It must make some of you really sick that even he now is encouraging masks. Wonder if we'd be better off if he'd just broken down and done that in April or May when things did start opening back up?
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

acslater1344 said:

TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Am I wrong?

Sad... but funny.

Dumb ****s.
Nah, just screaming about it being politics and "a ploy about NOV". While large states w/GOP governors now scramble to employ some of the same measures.
I think one could just as easily argue that some of the decisions to ignore any reasonable concern about the virus were also political and focused on NOV....just from the President, who we know exerted pressure on GOP governors.
It must make some of you really sick that even he now is encouraging masks. Wonder if we'd be better off if he'd just broken down and done that in April or May when things did start opening back up?
Doesn't make me sick at all. President should have encouraged voluntary mask wearing all along (once they got past the lack of available PPE concerns for essential purposes). Our rolling numbers (Cases / Tests) in the state are the same now that they were almost a full six weeks ago, so there's that as well regarding our masks. Deaths / Cases and Deaths / Tests averages continue to drop every single day. Only Hospitalizations are up. Only one piece of data doesn't fit in with everything else. And there's a simple explanation for it (that some don't want to acknowledge).

Why did masks only come into "vogue" for the left during the "peaceful protests"? No one ever seems to want to answer that question for some reason. Cue up that Gallup poll!
ncsualum05
BruceDouble said:

I had an employee get positive test results last week. Symptoms developed after work one night. Directly exposed 2 other employees while riding in truck for maybe 4-5 total hrs over 3 days. Employee wore a mask entire time while riding in truck as it's our policy. It's the only time we can't socially distance outside.

Other 2 employees were not wearing a mask the entire time. They just got their tests results back today and both were negative. Was it a fluke? Maybe, but we're using it a learning experience for every other employee as to why it's important to wear a mask when they're supposed to.

Hate to keep the mask thing going but just thought I'd share.
That's the trick. The infected guy had the mask on. If the other 2 employees were wearing their mask and he was not then all 3 would have it. The mask does not stop the virus from getting to you but it decreases the amount you release when you have it.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

acslater1344 said:

TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Am I wrong?

Sad... but funny.

Dumb ****s.
Doesn't make me sick at all. President should have encouraged voluntary mask wearing all along (once they got past the lack of available PPE concerns for essential purposes). Our rolling numbers (Cases / Tests) in the state are the same now that they were almost a full six weeks ago, so there's that as well regarding our masks. Deaths / Cases and Deaths / Tests averages continue to drop every single day. Only Hospitalizations are up. Only one piece of data doesn't fit in with everything else. And there's a simple explanation for it (that some don't want to acknowledge).

Why did masks only come into "vogue" for the left during the "peaceful protests"? No one ever seems to want to answer that question for some reason. Cue up that Gallup poll!
Don't recall when it became vogue....though having supplies would be part of that answer. Seems like at one point, the fear was taking masks away from the front-line folks who needed it the most, then the supply chain caught up -- though I recall even in May, I had issues finding masks that were orderable other than the blue paper ones.

Given the impact on the Latino community, it's quite clear that mask wearing is not as universal as any statistic would say -- primarily because people don't wear them in our houses. And that's where you get the jump from one case to 7 cases in a heartbeat. People have get togethers and have 10 friends over, and are comfortable, so don't wear masks (even though they'd wear them when they ran to the local HT)...and voila, you get cases.

BTW, I've never understood the death / test metric. We are encouraging everyone to get tests, even if not sick...so of course that metric is going to drop from say April / May when testing was limited to those who were either already sick, or had symptoms of same.
I would also expect the death/cases metric to get better simply because doctors know how to treat it better....and because we are (seemingly) doing a better job of protecting the nursing homes where this is most deadly.
When FL has 50+ hospitals with no ICU beds left....there is a problem.
Civilized
TheStorm said:

Nobody will answer the question because it's a straw man.

There's no evidence the left "only" started caring about masks during the George Floyd protests.

Packchem91
Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Nobody will answer the question because it's a straw man.

There's no evidence the left "only" started caring about masks during the George Floyd protests.

Yeah, as I think about it more.....wasn't that timing right around the time many economies began opening back up (or had just done so weeks prior)?
And if things were opening back up, it would absolutely make sense that mask wearing would (and should) have become in vogue.
wilmwolf
Will you guys please take your back and forth **** back to one of the ten other threads you were arguing in ?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wayland
Why policy needs to be reviewed. Especially if things like this hold up...

From the paper: "Public health measures intended to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 will also prevent the spread of and, consequently, maintenance of herd immunity to HCoVs, particularly in children."
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

BTW, I've never understood the death / test metric. We are encouraging everyone to get tests, even if not sick...so of course that metric is going to drop from say April / May when testing was limited to those who were either already sick, or had symptoms of same. I would also expect the death/cases metric to get better simply because doctors know how to treat it better...
Deaths / Cases is at a running average of 1.617% as of yesterday, down 57.45% from the high running average of 3.800% on 5/8.

Deaths / Tests is at a running average of 0.114% as of yesterday (yes, you are reading that correctly - soon it will be 1/10 of 1% Tested), down 62.13% from the high running average of .301 on 5/2.

Those percentage reductions are pretty comparable with each other (as close to exact in the big picture as one could imagine).

7.0 to 7.1% Cases / Tests running average is the same as 7.0 to 7.1% Cases / Tests running average from almost six (6) weeks ago.

As of yesterday, 1 out of every 7 "people" in the state of North Carolina has been tested (again - using NCDHHS' own numbers).

There should be more than enough data out there at this point to extrapolate everything across the entire population of North Carolina... much larger sample size that a poll designed to show an "outcome" that was predetermined ahead of time.
packgrad
Wayland said:

From the paper: "Public health measures intended to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 will also prevent the spread of and, consequently, maintenance of herd immunity to HCoVs, particularly in children."

The CDC recommends kids be back in school.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html

" Schools are an important part of the infrastructure of our communities, as they provide safe, supportive learning environments for students, employ teachers and other staff, and enable parents, guardians, and caregivers to work. Schools also provide critical services that help meet the needs of children and families, especially those who are disadvantaged, through supporting the development of social and emotional skills, creating a safe environment for learning, identifying and addressing neglect and abuse, fulfilling nutritional needs, and facilitating physical activity. School closure disrupts the delivery of in-person instruction and critical services to children and families, which has negative individual and societal ramifications. The best available evidence from countries that have opened schools indicates that COVID-19 poses low risks to school-aged children, at least in areas with low community transmission, and suggests that children are unlikely to be major drivers of the spread of the virus. Reopening schools creates opportunity to invest in the education, well-being, and future of one of America's greatest assetsour childrenwhile taking every precaution to protect students, teachers, staff and all their families."
WPNfamily
wilmwolf80 said:

Will you guys please take your back and forth **** back to one of the ten other threads you were arguing in ?
Agreed! These clowns are taking a rather informative thread and making it miserable. I wish people would shut the **** up about the politics and just post facts. If I want bull**** commentary I can go to cnn and foxnews.
ncsualum05
Interesting stuff. I believe schools should be open based on what I've seen datawise and what I've heard some Drs. say locally. I'm blessed I send my kids to a private school and I'm also involved and have a good relationship with the principal. Got some insight last night as to our plan. Of course my kids will go 5 days a week... I feel sorry for all of you who are trying to figure it out.
Packchem91
ncsualum05 said:

Interesting stuff. I believe schools should be open based on what I've seen datawise and what I've heard some Drs. say locally. I'm blessed I send my kids to a private school and I'm also involved and have a good relationship with the principal. Got some insight last night as to our plan. Of course my kids will go 5 days a week... I feel sorry for all of you who are trying to figure it out.
Kids in school, kids in preschool, kids going to a dorm....yeah, those are real, and tough, issues for parents. Do you want them to miss out, how do you react if a classmate/roommate gets sick, etc. Very trying times
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Very interesting and it goes along with some other studies I have seen posted that indicate exposure to the coronavirus version of the common cold could produce antibodies and T-Cells that protect against SARS-CoV-2. There is a related theory for some of the Asian countries that have been able to contain the coronavirus much better due to the fact they were exposed more broadly to the last SARS outbreak a few years ago. The theory is that exposure to the last SARS outbreak provided survivors with antibodies and T-Cells that are preventing large numbers of the population from becoming infected with SARS-CoV-2. So, while countries such as South Korea and Japan have done a good to great job of containing the virus, they may have had some natural help, beyond the steps they took to wear masks and quarantine.

If the study is accurate, it also means we need to find a way to allow people (especially children) to become exposed to illnesses in the environment. Staying inside and wearing masks when outside can keep us safe from catching the coronavirus, but it can also inhibit our body's natural immune system from developing natural resistance. Our immune system works best when it is exposed to bacteria and viruses through our normal interaction with the environment around us on a daily basis. A decrease in the exposure to these pathogens can inhibit our immune system from developing natural resistance to bacteria and viruses we may encounter in the future. It is a fine line. How do we go about life and develop a healthy immune system, while protecting ourselves from major viral outbreaks?
Daviewolf83
Packchem91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Kids in school, kids in preschool, kids going to a dorm....yeah, those are real, and tough, issues for parents. Do you want them to miss out, how do you react if a classmate/roommate gets sick, etc. Very trying times
I am going through this already. My son returned to school in early June and has been working out with teammates, since his return. I can not go into detail, but based on all of the protocols that have been put in place by the medical staff, I am not worried about his safety. We have had numerous group calls with the coaches and medical staff and they are doing a great job of thinking about how to keep the kids safe. In my view, given the protocols in place, I believe the kids are safer now than they would be back home with their families.
packgrad
Daviewolf83 said:

Packchem91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

I am going through this already. My son returned to school in early June and has been working out with teammates, since his return. I can not go into detail, but based on all of the protocols that have been put in place by the medical staff, I am not worried about his safety. We have had numerous group calls with the coaches and medical staff and they are doing a great job of thinking about how to keep the kids safe. In my view, given the protocols in place, I believe the kids are safer now than they would be back home with their families.
That makes me very happy. Truly love Doeren and hope we can keep him a long time, and he gives us reason to do so.
Daviewolf83
packgrad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Packchem91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

That makes me very happy. Truly love Doeren and hope we can keep him a long time, and he gives us reason to do so.
My son does not play for State. I am sure they have very similar protocols, but every school is a little different. The majority of the players at my son's school did not return until the first of July. He was able to return earlier, since he lives off campus. At his school, only seniors and a limited number of juniors can live off campus. Most of the players are required to live on campus and they were brought in later than most ACC schools (Duke is an exception as well).
packgrad

Several interesting data points in here. I found this one, in particular, surprising.

"Peculiarly, the researchers found people with asthma don't seem to be at greater risk of death from Covid-19 than those without it. That is a puzzling discovery given that asthmatics are usually more severely affected by other respiratory viruses, said Ben Goldacre, director of the Evidence-Based Medicine DataLab at the University of Oxford, and one of the principal authors. "It's a real head scratcher," he said."
packgrad
Daviewolf83 said:

packgrad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Packchem91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

My son does not play for State. I am sure they have very similar protocols, but every school is a little different.

Haha. Ok, we'll damn. Hope ours is the same. The rest of my sentiments remain.
Civilized
Wayland said:

Very interesting! Obviously may help explain the very low prevalence of severe illness in kids and young people.

Also illustrates how much of a Petri dish schools are.
Packchem91
Daviewolf83 said:

Packchem91 said:

ncsualum05 said:

I'd be much less concerned about kids who have a staff looking out for them, and creating a near "lock down" environment, than a bunch of 18 yos away from home the first time....ie, student-athletes vs general students

I'm thinking in general, the athletes will have a lower exposure and positive case than general student public because staff/admin are continually reminding them and restricting them -- which has seem to bear itself out in early testing, hasn't it (like NC States SAs were some ridiculously low % of positive test cases).
Will the kids in Owen dorm be similarly protected?
bigeric
Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

So somehow the first time I saw this one. And not that I believe it, but interesting in the correlation vs causation world.

Does MMR Vaccine Confer some level of protection from COVID-19? Take it all with a high degree of skepticism.

https://world.org/COVID-19
I was going to post about this earlier, but did not have time. I am somewhat skeptical, but it would go a long way to explain why younger people are not getting the virus and if they are, their symptoms are mild to non-existent. There has to be a reason for this to happen. If you think about it, most all children for the past 30 years or so have received the MMR vaccine as a standard vaccine you get as an infant. As you get older, the antibodies produced by the vaccine lessen and in some cases, older people never received a measles vaccine. As a result, people under the age of 30 or 40 would be more likely to have some protection and older people would be the ones who are the least protected.

I read through a couple of studies about this last night and it explained the linkage between the spike protein for the coronavirus and the spike protein for the measles virus. The proteins are not identical, but they are 26% similar. The theory is there is enough similarity for the antibodies generated for the measles (it is an antibody that inhibits the ability of the virus to attach to a cell) that it could also be inhibiting the coronavirus's ability to attach to the cell wall. The spike protein on the outside of the coronavirus is what allows the virus to attach to the ACE2 receptor on a cell. Without this attachment, the virus (same with measles) can not gain entry to the cell and begin reproduction.

Not all organs have an ACE2 receptor, but the ones that do are in the nose, mouth, lungs, stomach, small intestines, colon, and a few other places I can not remember. This is why the virus can attack these areas of the body. Blood cells (red and white) do not contain ACE2 receptors and this is why most people do not believe the virus can infect the blood. The issues with blood are coming from the body's immune system reaction to the virus and not an infection of the blood itself.

One of the key reasons the coronavirus is thought to be more infectious is that it's spike protein is much stronger (physically) than other coronavirus' spike proteins. This is why the coronavirus requires a lower viral load to infect someone, compared to other virus. So, anything you can do to disrupt the ability of the virus to attach to the ACE2 receptor, the more likely you are to decrease the virus' infection abilities. A week ago there was a lot of attention being paid to a trial being developed by the University of Louisville researchers. Their approach is similar, but it does not involve a vaccine. Their theory is to inject a drug that causes the production of a short segment enzymes that would bind to the spike protein and render it ineffective in attaching to the ACE2 receptor. In theory, it makes sense and it should be going into trials soon.

Also, there is another trial underway (currently underway with mice) that genetically modifies the measles vaccine to more directly attack the spike protein on the Coronavirus. So far, it has been successful in preventing the virus in mice and they are now planning to move to expanded trials. The key advantage of this approach is manufacturing of the measles vaccine is much simpler, so it could be more easily produced in volume.
Wayland & Davie posted this early May, and it has stuck in the back of my mind since.

Here are some current articles with similar information.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/mmr-vaccine-could-prevent-worst-symptoms-of-covid-19

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/early-childhood-mmr-vaccines-might-have-protective-value-against-covid19

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/mmr-vaccine-may-be-reason-children-are-less-affected-by-covid-19

Many here favoring masks use the rationale it doesn't hurt and some data exists it helps.
I haven't been to the doctor since Jan., but will in the next month or two. At that time will ask if I may take the MMR vaccine. It won't hurt and some data exists it may actually help.

Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
Civilized
packgrad said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html

" Schools are an important part of the infrastructure of our communities, as they provide safe, supportive learning environments for students, employ teachers and other staff, and enable parents, guardians, and caregivers to work. Schools also provide critical services that help meet the needs of children and families, especially those who are disadvantaged, through supporting the development of social and emotional skills, creating a safe environment for learning, identifying and addressing neglect and abuse, fulfilling nutritional needs, and facilitating physical activity. School closure disrupts the delivery of in-person instruction and critical services to children and families, which has negative individual and societal ramifications. The best available evidence from countries that have opened schools indicates that COVID-19 poses low risks to school-aged children, at least in areas with low community transmission, and suggests that children are unlikely to be major drivers of the spread of the virus. Reopening schools creates opportunity to invest in the education, well-being, and future of one of America's greatest assetsour childrenwhile taking every precaution to protect students, teachers, staff and all their families."

So the CDC produces a much different document initially, then Trump demands that the agency alter its recommendations for opening school, and then they come out with this.

Not exactly the bastion of independent scientific thought.

Regardless, their qualitative reasons for supporting school reopening are exactly right and mirror almost exactly Wake County's statement months ago when first indicating that they were going to keep schools open. Then, Wake County reversed course due to the quickly increasing prevalence of the disease.

The CDC is going to have a hard time getting full buy-in though with mealy-mouthed endorsements like "The best available evidence indicates if children become infected, they are far less likely to suffer severe symptoms. Death rates among school-aged children are much lower than among adults."

and "No studies are conclusive, but the available evidence provides reason to believe that in-person schooling is in the best interest of students"

In other words, "We can't say this conclusively but your kid probably won't get really sick, but if they do, they probably won't die."

That may work when making a macro decision but when it's your kid, parents are going to need more assurance than that.

The document says "Scientific studies suggest that COVID-19 transmission among children in schools may be low. International studies that have assessed how readily COVID-19 spreads in schools also reveal low rates of transmission when community transmission is low."

Key words being "reveal low rates of transmission when community transmission is low."

Many areas of the US are experiencing high community transmission.

The most glaring miss in this document is clearly regarding the risks to teachers of returning. There are over 4 million public K-12 teachers in this country, and many are older or have underlying health conditions. The CDC's document focuses exclusively on student impacts and health with the exception of one sentence.

"Based on current data, the rate of infection among younger school children, and from students to teachers, has been low, especially if proper precautions are followed."

Key words: "...younger children...especially if proper precautions are followed."

The clear implication is that data shows something much different for older children. The break point seems to be around the age of 10, above which children carry, shed, and infect at rates similar to adults. Also, good luck maintaining consistent "proper precautions" with a bunch of kids. Most kids can't keep a mask on their face for 30 minutes much less 7 hours.

I think we should figure out a way to get special needs, pre-K, and at-risk students back in classrooms as soon as possible. Much less clear how and when to return everyone else.
ncsualum05
Covid enters one of my boys bodies...

Not long after my boy's immune system...

Wayland
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

So the CDC produces a much different document initially, then Trump demands that the agency alter its recommendations for opening school, and then they come out with this.

Not exactly the bastion of independent scientific thought.

Regardless, their qualitative reasons for supporting school reopening are exactly right and mirror almost exactly Wake County's statement months ago when first indicating that they were going to keep schools open. Then, Wake County reversed course due to the quickly increasing prevalence of the disease.

The CDC is going to have a hard time getting full buy-in though with mealy-mouthed endorsements like "The best available evidence indicates if children become infected, they are far less likely to suffer severe symptoms. Death rates among school-aged children are much lower than among adults."

and "No studies are conclusive, but the available evidence provides reason to believe that in-person schooling is in the best interest of students"

In other words, "We can't say this conclusively but your kid probably won't get really sick, but if they do, they probably won't die."

That may work when making a macro decision but when it's your kid, parents are going to need more assurance than that.

The document says "Scientific studies suggest that COVID-19 transmission among children in schools may be low. International studies that have assessed how readily COVID-19 spreads in schools also reveal low rates of transmission when community transmission is low."

Key words being "reveal low rates of transmission when community transmission is low."

Many areas of the US are experiencing high community transmission.

The most glaring miss in this document is clearly regarding the risks to teachers of returning. There are over 4 million public K-12 teachers in this country, and many are older or have underlying health conditions. The CDC's document focuses exclusively on student impacts and health with the exception of one sentence.

"Based on current data, the rate of infection among younger school children, and from students to teachers, has been low, especially if proper precautions are followed."

Key words: "...younger children...especially if proper precautions are followed."

The clear implication is that data shows something much different for older children. The break point seems to be around the age of 10, above which children carry, shed, and infect at rates similar to adults. Also, good luck maintaining consistent "proper precautions" with a bunch of kids. Most kids can't keep a mask on their face for 30 minutes much less 7 hours.

I think we should figure out a way to get special needs, pre-K, and at-risk students back in classrooms as soon as possible. Much less clear how and when to return everyone else.
That 10 year old break point came from that one SK study which basically was inconclusive but they made conclusions anyways and NYT ran with it. They couldn't even determine the direction of transmission.

Schools open in Europe show no greater impact to teachers than other professions.

Yes, there is a chance that a child will die of COVID that they may catch at school. There is also a much greater chance that a child dies from the flu contracted from school and has been every year in history, yet we acknowledged that and continued to send children to school. So no... there is never NO risk, but it is extremely minimal. And is outweighed by the damage done to children by keeping schools closed.

How have European countries been able to keep schools open without mass child and teacher casualties?

There is greater risk to children at large by keeping schools closed both in real death terms AND in education, health, and mental health impacts.

Civilized
Wayland said:

That 10 year old break point came from that one SK study which basically was inconclusive but they made conclusions anyways and NYT ran with it. They couldn't even determine the direction of transmission.

Schools open in Europe show no greater impact to teachers than other professions.

Yes, there is a chance that a child will die of COVID that they may catch at school. There is also a much greater chance that a child dies from the flu contracted from school and has been every year in history, yet we acknowledged that and continued to send children to school. So no... there is never NO risk, but it is extremely minimal. And is outweighed by the damage done to children by keeping schools closed.

How have European countries been able to keep schools open without mass child and teacher casualties?

There is greater risk to children at large by keeping schools closed both in real death terms AND in education, health, and mental health impacts.

Has any European country tried reopening schools with levels of community transmission on par with the US's current rate of community spread?

The US's concentration of cases is 5x-10x that of Denmark and Finland.

If the US's rates of spread or cases per million were the same as Denmark and Finland and other countries that have reopened you'd have a case.

Also, even if you quibble with the South Korean study, clearly at some point between ages 8 and 20 kids stop transmitting like kids and start transmitting like adults. If that break isn't at age 10, when is it?
Wayland
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Quote:

7/16/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1134 <- 90% reporting (was 1142 at 89% yesterday) Higher % Lower Total. Stable
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
888 Deaths are now Congregate (+6)
196 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+7)
+20 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

504 Deaths assumed General Population (+7)
1084 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+13)

283 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+19)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 1604* deaths

2160 positive cases over 28,120 new tests. 7.7% positive rate.
7/17/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1180 <- 90% reporting (was 1134 at 91% yesterday) Higher % Higher Total. New High
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
892 Deaths are now Congregate (+4)
204 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+8)
+18 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

510 Deaths assumed General Population (+6)
1096 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+12)

293 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+10)
Nursing Homes 147 -> 155
Resident Care 99 -> 100
Correctional 24 -> 25
Other 13 -> 13
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 1629* deaths

2051 positive cases over 31,217 new tests. 6.7% positive rate.
*DHHS added 31,217 new tests today but claims only 25,555 completed tests.

Deaths by Date of Death 7/17 - 18 new deaths, 1 previously missing.
7/16(3), 7/15(6), 7/14(3), 7/10(2), 7/9, 7/1, 6/28(2), 6/25
It appears one death may have been added that was previously missing a date.

Cumberland, Wake, and Meck each with 3 deaths reported today.
7/18/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1154 <- XX% reporting (was 1180 at 90% yesterday)
Completed Tests

897 Deaths are now Congregate (+5)
210 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+6)
+23 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

522 Deaths assumed General Population (+12)
1107 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+11)

300 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+7)
Nursing Homes 155 -> 157
Resident Care 100 -> 104
Correctional 25 -> 25
Other 13 -> 14

WRAL is at 1634* deaths

2481 positive cases over 35,619 new tests. 7.1% positive rate.

New high (by 19 cases) comes after last new high, maybe back to patterned reporting.

Day over day delta in completed tests is 35,619, but DHHS says it is only 23,440.

Deaths today, 3 Wake and 3 Meck again.
23 Deaths reported 7/18 by Date of Death:
7/17(4), 7/16(7), 7/15(3), 7/14(2), 7/12(5). Two deaths with no date.

Today's number of new tests is the highest delta day over day yet! Also there are some positive signs with plateauing when looking back 9 days based on Date of Specimen collection being mostly complete. Hopefully things can level or trend down soon.

7/19/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1115 <- 86% reporting (was 1154 at 90% yesterday)
Completed Tests

898 Deaths are now Congregate (+1)
212 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+2)
+5 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

524 Deaths assumed General Population (+2)
1110 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+3)

290 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (-10)
Nursing Homes 157 -> 149
Resident Care 104 -> 103
Correctional 25 -> 24
Other 14 -> 14

WRAL is at 1651* deaths

1820 positive cases over 15721 new tests. 11.6% positive rate.

It looks like the reporting lag has settled on a pattern and being a Sunday we are seeing more electronic and less lab cases. We will see if any lag changes affect this new pattern (with the peak Saturday).
Part of the reason for the case drop on Sundays is that the last few days of the lagging data (9 days out) now fall on a weekend, so there are less of those lagged cases to report. We'd expect tomorrow to be about the same and then a small bump up on Tuesday as the lagged cases (9 days out) now start falling on a weekday again.

Going to review county data, but don't expect to see much on a Sunday.

Deaths today: 7/18, 7/17(3), 7/15
7/20/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1086 <- 86% reporting (was 1115 at 86% yesterday)
Completed Tests

900 Deaths are now Congregate (+2)
216 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+4)
+8 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

526 Deaths assumed General Population (+2)
1116 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+6)

287 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (-3)
Nursing Homes 149 -> 147
Resident Care 103 -> 102
Correctional 24 -> 24
Other 14 -> 14

WRAL is at 1676* deaths

1268 positive cases over 29024 new tests. 4.4% positive rate.

Dates of Death Reported 7/20
7/19(2), 7/17(2), 7/16, 7/10, 7/7, 7/6, 6/30, 6/26
8 deaths + 2 previously missing deaths given dates.

Second consecutive day of net drop in congregate outbreaks.

Cases really low. I expected low but not THAT low, so I don't know if that lag is recovered already or it is waiting to drop.
7/21/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1179 <- 92% reporting (was 1086 at 86% yesterday) New high by 1
Completed Tests

906 Deaths are now Congregate (+6)
225 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+9)
+26 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

537 Deaths assumed General Population (+11)
1131 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+15)

295 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+8)
Nursing Homes 147 -> 150
Resident Care 102 -> 108
Correctional 24 -> 24
Other 14 -> 13

WRAL is at 1680* deaths

1815 positive cases over 35103 new tests. 5.2% positive rate.

Delta Tests is 35103, but DHHS says 24087

Dates of Death Reported 7/21
7/20(5), 7/19(5), 7/18(4), 7/17(3), 7/16(3), 7/12, 7/11, 7/9, 7/4 and 2 missing dates

Cases back up a little, but unless there is some super duper lag.. things trending down some.

Hospitalizations big jump out of EHCP (maybe someone who hadn't been reporting?) and MHPC continues to go up despite cases going down. Other hospital groups stable with declining ICU. Would love more insight into what is going on in Charlotte that isn't elsewhere.

Seems like they don't care about finding location of death anymore, 9 unknown is kind of slack.
7/22/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1137 <- 90% reporting (was 1179 at 92% yesterday)
Completed Tests

915 Deaths are now Congregate (+9)
231 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+6)
+30 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

552 Deaths assumed General Population (+15)
1146 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+15)

304 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+9)
Nursing Homes 150 -> 154
Resident Care 108 -> 110
Correctional 24 -> 27
Other 13 -> 13

WRAL is at 1703* deaths

2140 positive cases over 32823 new tests. 6.5% positive rate.

Delta Tests is 32,823, but DHHS says 31,815

Dates of Death Reported 7/22
7/21, 7/20(8), 7/19(3), 7/18(4), 7/17(3), 7/15, 7/14(4), 7/13(2), 6/28(2), 1 DHHS Missing Date = 29
1 I didn't find a date for. Double checking to see if I missed it.

County Deaths:
Brunswick, Burke(2), Cumberland, Gaston(2), Harnett, Hoke, Iredell(2), Meck(2), Montgomery, Moore(4), Nash(3), Pender, Randolph, Richmond, Union, Wake(6)

EDIT: RE HOSPITALIZATIONS. It looks like New Hanover Regional Medical Center DID NOT REPORT today. They account for 80%+ of hospitalized patients in SHPR so their ~50 missing patients is significant.
7/23/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1188 <- 94% reporting (was 1137 at 90% yesterday)
Completed Tests

929 Deaths are now Congregate (+14)
235 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+4)
+28 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

562 Deaths assumed General Population (+10)
1164 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+18)

314 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+10)
Nursing Homes 154 -> 160
Resident Care 110 -> 114
Correctional 27 -> 26
Other 13 -> 14

WRAL is at 1734* deaths

1892 positive cases over 31855 new tests. 5.9% positive rate.

Delta Tests is 31,855, but DHHS says 30,430

Dates of Death Reported 7/23 - LAG DAY
7/22(3), 7/21(3), 7/20(3), 7/19(1), 7/18(1), 7/16(2), 7/15, 7/14(2), 7/12, 7/10, 7/9, 7/8, 6/30(2), 6/26, 6/11, 5/29(2), 5/17, and 1 missing date

It looks like they adjusted yesterday hospitalizations to be 1188 to match today and a new high. Still only 9 higher than 1 week ago.

Case trends still holding in decline as of 9 day lag window.

Still reviewing county data.
County Deaths
5 for Duplin
4 for Pitt
no other county more than 2.
There are your likely culprits for the lag.

Another oddity with county data. County reported cases today only add up to 1747. There are 145 cases that don't have an assignment. The last time that happened with that kind of difference came on the announcement of the extension of Phase 2.
7/24/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1182 <- 92% reporting (was 1188 at 94% yesterday)
Completed Tests

931 Deaths are now Congregate (+2)
244 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+9)
+20 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

571 Deaths assumed General Population (+9)
1175 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+11)

291Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (-23)
Nursing Homes 160 -> 156
Resident Care 114 -> 95
Correctional 26 -> 25
Other 14 -> 15

WRAL is at 1749* deaths

2102 positive cases over 25654 new tests. 8.2% positive rate.

Dates of Death Reported 7/24
7/23(3), 7/22(9), 7/21(3), 7/18(2), 7/17(2), 7/16, 7/15, 7/8, 7/2, 6/28, 6/25
4 deaths moved from date of death missing to chart.
1 additional death added that I can't account for, but it is what it is.

A lot of Resident Care facilities off the outbreak list today.

Still reviewing county data

Lag looks to be tightening. For the last few days things have been mostly complete at 7 days back.

It looks like those county cases that were not assigned yesterday were assigned today. County data is a +143 over reported cases vs the -145 yesterday.
Civilized
But opening safely, experts agree, isn't just about the adjustments a school makes. It's also about how much virus is circulating in the community, which affects the likelihood that students and staff will bring COVID-19 into their classrooms.

"Outbreaks in schools are inevitable," says Otto Helve, a pediatric infectious disease specialist at the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare. "But there is good news." So far, with some changes to schools' daily routines, he says, the benefits of attending school seem to outweigh the risksat least where community infection rates are low and officials are standing by to identify and isolate cases and close contacts."

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/school-openings-across-globe-suggest-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

How much virus is circulating in American communities relative to Europe, South Africa, and most of Southeast Asia?

How do our community infection rates currently compare to those countries that have successfully reopened their schools?

Does the US have the current capability to isolate cases and close contacts when outbreaks occur in schools?
Wayland
Civilized said:

Wayland said:

Has any European country tried reopening schools with levels of community transmission on par with the US's current rate of community spread?

The US's concentration of cases is 5x-10x that of Denmark and Finland.

If the US's rates of spread or cases per million were the same as Denmark and Finland and other countries that have reopened you'd have a case.

Also, even if you quibble with the South Korean study, clearly at some point between ages 8 and 20 kids stop transmitting like kids and start transmitting like adults. If that break isn't at age 10, when is it?
Sweden never closed. So yes, their transmission was pretty high.

I don't know. Maybe we should focus do a study that actually has more children in it and can actually break that age group down further. Certainly worth a whole lot more research.

This guy brings up good points on SK study.

Also:

@BallouxFrancois: "Only 0.5% and 2.2% of the potential 'index cases' fell in the 0-9 and 10-19 age groups"

I am just hot on this one because Cohen basically cited it in the briefing yesterday... or that same age cutoff. And it is one data piece... a lot more needs to be researched that this study does not provide.
Civilized
Last thing - I love, love, LOVE all your data and so appreciate all the work you put in to keep us informed on local trends.

Thank you so much for all your hard work on this!!
wilmwolf
I don't know why we continue to compare our numbers country wide to other countries with much smaller, less diverse populations. It would be better to compare individual states to other countries if similar size, density, etc. Decisions about reopening school in NC shouldn't have anything to do with nationwide numbers. These decisions should be based on what is happening on the ground in individual areas and districts. In areas where the community spread is high, make one decision, and a different one in areas where it is low, and adjust accordingly as situations change. Think outside the damn box.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wayland
NC screwed up the hospital reporting yesterday or they are going back and fudging numbers.

Based on today's values on the graph, yesterday there should have been 1236 hospitalizations but there was only 1188, I think when they went to fix two days ago for the missing NHRMC they accidentally put the same values for two days.

Because today at 100% reporting MHPC (Meck) is DOWN almost 40 patients (and no one else is up) and we have only a 6 decrease. Either way... trend is stable/down.
ncsualum05
Civilized said:

But opening safely, experts agree, isn't just about the adjustments a school makes. It's also about how much virus is circulating in the community, which affects the likelihood that students and staff will bring COVID-19 into their classrooms.

"Outbreaks in schools are inevitable," says Otto Helve, a pediatric infectious disease specialist at the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare. "But there is good news." So far, with some changes to schools' daily routines, he says, the benefits of attending school seem to outweigh the risksat least where community infection rates are low and officials are standing by to identify and isolate cases and close contacts."

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/school-openings-across-globe-suggest-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

How much virus is circulating in American communities relative to Europe, South Africa, and most of Southeast Asia?

How do our community infection rates currently compare to those countries that have successfully reopened their schools?

Does the US have the current capability to isolate cases and close contacts when outbreaks occur in schools?
It depends on the school system or county. It needs to be at a localized level. Damn people have lost all common sense with this stuff. Not saying you have personally but nothing should be decided at a statewide level or nationwide level. Set general guidelines and let jurisdictions figure this out. Of course everyone is so panicked right now that they've all been pressured to do the same thing. It's .... STUPID.

We are still treating the virus the same way we did in March. Why? Someone testing positive does not mean you have to shut down everything- not in a school, sports team, or anything else. Isolate the sick... test if you were around them and so on. If you have an outbreak then deal with it. We have no courage anymore in leadership.
Wayland
Just to show the a visual on how lag has been pulling forward. I did a graph the other day of this Tuesday (7/21) vs last Tuesday (7/14) and you could see a similar pattern in case reporting.

I noticed the last few days that cases weren't populating with any great number in beyond current date -7. Take a look charting today (7/24) vs last Friday (7/17). You can see last week that the daily reporting was still pulling heavily from the late weekdays of the previous week. The last few days this week, the lag hasn't been extending past 7 days. Either we are catching up... or there is a hidden wave somewhere.

It looks like we are getting Monday's data a lot quicker.
First Page Last Page
Page 128 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.