Coronavirus

2,001,617 Views | 19843 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by Werewolf
RunsWithWolves26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cowboypack02 said:

So i'm seeing several people on the interwebs today discussing how the COVID-19 rates are being miscalculated and inflated. Anyone else seeing that?

It's been talked about here at length and has been a known thing since almost the beginning but it won't get that much attention. An election is happening in November that causes many things to go unreported. You know, it's all about that election and not about truth for the America people. At the same time, many Americans people are either to stupid, lazy, blind, or a combo of all to actually see what is actually happening.
Mormad
cowboypack02 said:

So i'm seeing several people on the interwebs today discussing how the COVID-19 rates are being miscalculated and inflated. Anyone else seeing that?

Just for clarification, which rates?
TheStorm
TheStorm said:

Snapshot taken 5/21 (~start of Phase 2 was announced 5/22) using NCDHHS Dashboard numbers:
Confirmed Cases as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests - 7.129% (Ongoing Running Average)
Confirmed Deaths as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests - 0.240% (Ongoing Running Average)
Confirmed Deaths as a PERCENTAGE of Confirmed Cases - 3.368% (Ongoing Running Average)

Snapshot taken from 5/17 - 5/21 (last 5 days before ~start of Phase 2):
Confirmed Cases as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests - 5.640% (5 Day Average)
Daily Deaths - 12.8 (5 Day Average)

Snapshot taken from 5/21 - 6/26 (initial period after announced ~start of Phase 2 [before extension]):
Confirmed Cases as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests - 6.950% (36 Day Average)
Daily Deaths - 16.14 (36 Day Average)

Snapshot taken from 6/21 - 6/26 (last 5 days before weekend prior to scheduled decision on extending Phase 2):
Confirmed Cases as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests - 6.616% (5 Day Average)
Daily Deaths - 15.4 (5 Day Average)

Snapshot taken from 6/26 - 6/29 (last 3 days before scheduled decision on extending Phase 2):
Confirmed Cases as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests - 9.225% (3 Day Average)
Daily Deaths - 9.33 (3 Day Average)

Snapshot taken from 6/29 - 7/10 (Period starting with Phase 2 extension up to weekend prior to scheduled decision on schools):
Confirmed Cases as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests - 6.752% (11 Day Average)
Daily Deaths - 14 (11 Day Average)

Snapshot taken from 7/10 - 7/13 (last 3 days before scheduled decision on schools):
Confirmed Cases as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests - 8.869% (3 Day Average)
Daily Deaths - 13.67 (3 Day Average)

Snapshot taken from 7/13 - 7/16 (last 3 days AFTER scheduled decision on schools):
Confirmed Cases as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests - 6.392% (3 Day Average)
Daily Deaths - 26 (3 Day Average) *dumped 42 in on Day 1

Snapshot taken 7/16:
Confirmed Cases as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests - 7.117% (Ongoing Running Average)
Confirmed Deaths as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests - 0.121% (Ongoing Running Average)
Confirmed Deaths as a PERCENTAGE of Confirmed Cases - 1.699% (Ongoing Running Average)

Additional Notes on Daily Deaths:
Highest reported day was 48 on 4/28
There have only been three (3) total days with over 40 Daily Deaths reported since I started entering the NCDHHS numbers on 4/11 (and we were then only at a Grand Total of 80 Deaths)... 4/28 (48), 5/2 (42), the dump on 7/14 (42)
There have only been five (5) total days with between 30-39 Daily Deaths reported since I started entering the NCDHHS numbers on 4/11... and only two (2) since 6/1 (6/16, 7/1) *trying to illustrate what an anomaly the 7/14 dump was...

General Conclusions:
Daily Deaths for the most part have basically remained flat since the beginning of Phase 2 (announced date)
Confirmed Cases as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests are almost EXACTLY FLAT since the beginning of Phase 2 (number is actually down just a hair)
Confirmed Deaths as a PERCENTAGE of Completed Tests (Ongoing Running Average) is DOWN ALMOST 50% since the beginning of Phase 2 *obviously meaning that they are down way more than 50% on a daily basis now v. 5/22
Confirmed Deaths as a PERCENTAGE of Confirmed Cases (Ongoing Running Average) is DOWN ALMOST 50% since the beginning of Phase 2 *same comment as above

There NEVER WAS the WIDELY REPORTED SPIKE under the initial period of Phase 2.

There was a three (3) day spike just before the announcement to extend Phase 2 (and add the mask mandate) that disappeared immediately afterwards (before the mask mandate could even have an impact)

There was another three (3) day spike just before this week's announcement on the schools that has also (so far) disappeared immediately afterwards.

Numbers are just numbers... Still interesting though... how hospitalizations continue to go up is beyond me...

Then please contrast this article from today with the information I posted earlier...

https://www.cbs17.com/digital-stories/north-carolina-flagged-as-red-zone-for-covid-19-the-triangle-hit-the-worst/
Daviewolf83
Definitely something worth thinking about. It seems pretty obvious that the huge growth in cases is not leading to a large jump in deaths, as they did in the early part of the virus. Of course, this is a good thing and likely points to the advances in medical care protocols as we learn more about the virus and perhaps, a reduction in the age of people infected.

cowboypack02
Mormad said:

cowboypack02 said:

I've seen where both the CDC and Florida are overestimating the number of people infected
Mormad
cowboypack02 said:

Mormad said:

cowboypack02 said:

I've seen where both the CDC and Florida are overestimating the number of people infected

I guess I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing
Wayland
Wayland said:

Quote:

7/16/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1134 <- 90% reporting (was 1142 at 89% yesterday) Higher % Lower Total. Stable
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
888 Deaths are now Congregate (+6)
196 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+7)
+20 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

504 Deaths assumed General Population (+7)
1084 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+13)

283 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+19)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 1604* deaths

2160 positive cases over 28,120 new tests. 7.7% positive rate.
7/17/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1180 <- 90% reporting (was 1134 at 91% yesterday) Higher % Higher Total. New High
Completed Tests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
892 Deaths are now Congregate (+4)
204 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+8)
+18 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

510 Deaths assumed General Population (+6)
1096 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+12)

293 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+10)
Nursing Homes 147 -> 155
Resident Care 99 -> 100
Correctional 24 -> 25
Other 13 -> 13
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRAL is at 1629* deaths

2051 positive cases over 31,217 new tests. 6.7% positive rate.
*DHHS added 31,217 new tests today but claims only 25,555 completed tests.

Deaths by Date of Death 7/17 - 18 new deaths, 1 previously missing.
7/16(3), 7/15(6), 7/14(3), 7/10(2), 7/9, 7/1, 6/28(2), 6/25
It appears one death may have been added that was previously missing a date.

Cumberland, Wake, and Meck each with 3 deaths reported today.
7/18/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1154 <- XX% reporting (was 1180 at 90% yesterday)
Completed Tests

897 Deaths are now Congregate (+5)
210 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+6)
+23 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

522 Deaths assumed General Population (+12)
1107 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+11)

300 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (+7)
Nursing Homes 155 -> 157
Resident Care 100 -> 104
Correctional 25 -> 25
Other 13 -> 14

WRAL is at 1634* deaths

2481 positive cases over 35,619 new tests. 7.1% positive rate.

New high (by 19 cases) comes after last new high, maybe back to patterned reporting.

Day over day delta in completed tests is 35,619, but DHHS says it is only 23,440.

Deaths today, 3 Wake and 3 Meck again.
23 Deaths reported 7/18 by Date of Death:
7/17(4), 7/16(7), 7/15(3), 7/14(2), 7/12(5). Two deaths with no date.

Today's number of new tests is the highest delta day over day yet! Also there are some positive signs with plateauing when looking back 9 days based on Date of Specimen collection being mostly complete. Hopefully things can level or trend down soon.

Wayland
DHHS's make no sense Positive Test Percentage graph, now shows 7/16/20 as having a 7% positive.

The last day that was that low was 5/26/20 at 7%. Since that day, every percentage currently listed is either 8%, 9%, or 10%.

EDIT:: There is an outside chance this was actually aided by prison(?) testing. For some reason (on 7/16) Greene County had 2000+ ELR tests run with a near 0% positive. Most days there are less than 100 ELR tests done in Greene County. Obviously some kind of mass testing effort was done.
Wayland
New DHHS Hospitalization Dashboard!!! Basically using the charts I was stealing from their data. Lol

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/hospitalizations
PackBacker07
Y'all means ALL.
Wayland
So about that hospitalization data. Let's take a look.

Look familiar, it was the same data I was providing (can't get pic to link)

ICUs. First notice they don't go far back, like I said in the past, they didn't start collecting this information until early June. Next, that jump in the Triad (20 ICU patients in one day), looks more like a reclassification (like identifying a Step-Down unit as ICU for tracking purposes)... or maybe that jump is purely organic.

Oddly enough ICUs were actually declining when the order was made to continue Phase 2 and a mask order was put into place. Maybe that is why they didn't want this out at the time.

Lots to dive into.

It looks like all hospitalizations were pretty stable until the extension of Phase 2 and the mask order when they immediately started to climb, especially in Meck (and a week later Triad). Order extension around the 24th, almost immediately Meck hospitals start admitted a whole bunch of non-ICU patients.

Wayland
Pacfanweb
Wayland said:

It looks like all hospitalizations were pretty stable until the extension of Phase 2 and the mask order when they immediately started to climb, especially in Meck (and a week later Triad). Order extension around the 24th, almost immediately Meck hospitals start admitted a whole bunch of non-ICU patients.

It's almost like something happened right before that order was given that put lots of people in close proximity to each other in public. Mostly younger people.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

ICUs. First notice they don't go far back, like I said in the past, they didn't start collecting this information until early May. Next, that jump in the Triad (20 ICU patients in one day), looks more like a reclassification (like identifying a Step-Down unit as ICU for tracking purposes)... or maybe that jump is purely organic.

Oddly enough ICUs were actually declining when the order was made to continue Phase 2 and a mask order was put into place. Maybe that is why they didn't want this out at the time.

Lots to dive into.

All of this new data will be helpful. I will be spending time later today getting it all into my spreadsheet and trying to cut it up into some meaningful measures. I was out of town yesterday, so I have had little time to analyze it. I had to visit my son briefly (his workouts are going well and he is being very good at following team protocols -- want is doing everything he personally can do to have a football season) and had to go see my mom who is in the hospital in Winston in ICU (non-Covid related). The protocols at the hospital were excellent. Only one entrance open, temperature check when entering, answer series of questions on health and contact with others, get sticker with my name and room number visiting, only one visitor allowed per room. Very few people seemed to be visiting than normal before Covid (my mom is in hospital once or twice a year due to health condition). Give sticker to security officer when leaving and he takes it to person who issued sticker to me so my name can be removed from the log.
Wayland
I knew NC was bad at reporting to the CDC even the worst... I didn't realize HOW BAD they were.

https://lockerroom.johnlocke.org/2020/07/14/dhhs-makes-north-carolina-dead-last-in-reporting-deaths-data-to-the-cdc/
TheStorm
TopsailWolf said:

I felt crappy for a couple days, then lost taste/smell for about 3 days (felt fine otherwise). I never had a fever. Wife started feeling bad about a week after me and has had the nagging cough for close to 2 weeks now, but she's also not had a fever and feels okay other than the cough. Our little one has been a little extra needy for 4-5 days but no fever or any other symptoms as far as we can tell.
First of all, hope things are going as well as possible for you and the family... hopefully your next update will be more positive for everyone involved there.

Just to better learn how they are addressing it in this general area of NC (SE Coast):
What happens after they determine you have it?
Were you able to determine exactly how you were exposed to it?
Do they then contact those / that person(s) as well?
How did they handle contacting others that you or immediate family members had been in contact with after your household was first exposed?
Did you go an emergency room (Pender or New Hanover), and if so, what was that experience like as compared to something more "normal"?
packgrad

Wayland
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Quote:

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

WRAL is at 1604* deaths

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1180 <- 90% reporting (was 1134 at 91% yesterday) Higher % Higher Total. New High
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 147 -> 155
Resident Care 99 -> 100
Correctional 24 -> 25
Other 13 -> 13

WRAL is at 1629* deaths

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 155 -> 157
Resident Care 100 -> 104
Correctional 25 -> 25
Other 13 -> 14

WRAL is at 1634* deaths

New high (by 19 cases) comes after last new high, maybe back to patterned reporting.

Day over day delta in completed tests is 35,619, but DHHS says it is only 23,440.

Today's number of new tests is the highest delta day over day yet! Also there are some positive signs with plateauing when looking back 9 days based on Date of Specimen collection being mostly complete. Hopefully things can level or trend down soon.

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1115 <- 86% reporting (was 1154 at 90% yesterday)
Completed Tests

898 Deaths are now Congregate (+1)
212 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+2)
+5 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

524 Deaths assumed General Population (+2)
1110 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+3)

290 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (-10)
Nursing Homes 157 -> 149
Resident Care 104 -> 103
Correctional 25 -> 24
Other 14 -> 14

WRAL is at 1651* deaths

1820 positive cases over 15721 new tests. 11.6% positive rate.

It looks like the reporting lag has settled on a pattern and being a Sunday we are seeing more electronic and less lab cases. We will see if any lag changes affect this new pattern (with the peak Saturday).
Part of the reason for the case drop on Sundays is that the last few days of the lagging data (9 days out) now fall on a weekend, so there are less of those lagged cases to report. We'd expect tomorrow to be about the same and then a small bump up on Tuesday as the lagged cases (9 days out) now start falling on a weekday again.

Going to review county data, but don't expect to see much on a Sunday.

Deaths today: 7/18, 7/17(3), 7/15
statefan91
Topsail - how are you and your family doing?
TopsailWolf
What happens after they determine you have it? Wilmington Health gave me a printed packet stating that I needed to self quarantine 10 days from TAKING the test or 14 days from START of symptoms. In hindsight I had symptoms 6-7 days before I even got tested, then waited 8 days to get my results back, then quarantined for 10 days per the recommendation but frankly that was probably overdone due to the fact that it was a week after initial symptoms before I knew I was exposed to somebody who had it.

We ate dinner with my dad on the Friday of Father's Day weekend. He called me a week and a half later and let me know he had been tested and results were positive, but I had no idea he was even sick. So, while I felt a little crappy the following wed/thurs after we ate I didn't think much of it. I had no fever, no real symptoms outside of moderate fatigue and we have a newborn and I had gone back to work on no sleep so just assumed I needed to catch up on some rest.

How did they handle contacting others that you or immediate family members had been in contact with after your household was first exposed?

The only follow up to my knowledge, there was no follow-up of any kind with any contact points with the exception of my mom and MIL self quarantining after I let them know I had been exposed to my dad who tested positive. I recommended my office coordinator at work to be tested, but my company, nor Wilmington Health who did the testing gave any recommendation on notifying others who I had been around. *Note- I work in healthcare and have been wearing a mask since the end of March

Did you go an emergency room (Pender or New Hanover), and if so, what was that experience like as compared to something more "normal"?

No. myself, my wife, and infant daughter all had very mild symptoms so no need to go to hospital. I have a buddy who's a PA next door to my PT clinic and I let him know the story and had him order a test for me on the way home the day I found out.
TopsailWolf
We're all doing well. Wife still hasn't gotten taste or smell back, but no other symptoms besides that. Thanks for checking in!
Tobaccoroadsportscafe
TopsailWolf said:

We're all doing well. Wife still hasn't gotten taste or smell back, but no other symptoms besides that. Thanks for checking in!

Thanks for all the info Topsail. Hopefully the worse is behind you, glad the baby is doing well.
Bas2020
packgrad said:

You know damn well reporters in this country don't want to chase down 'real' stories .
packgrad
Actually meant to post here, but posted on AW. Relevant there too, but going to repost in here.

Good 4 post thread. Some very interesting quotes in the interview.

On masks:

Tom Jefferson: "Aside from people who are exposed on the frontlines, there is no evidence that masks make any difference, but what's even more extraordinary is the uncertainty: we don't know if these things make any difference. We should have done randomised control trials in February, March and April but not anymore because viral circulation is low and we will need huge number of enrolees to show whether there was any difference".
Carl Heneghan: "By all means people can wear masks but they can't say it's an evidence-based decision there is a real separation between an evidence-based decision and the opaque term that 'we are being led by the science', which isn't the evidence".

On lockdown:

CH: "Many people said that we should have locked down earlier, but 50% of care homes developed outbreaks during the lockdown period so there are issues within the transmission of this virus that are not clear Lockdown is a blunt tool and there needs to be intelligent conversations about what mitigation strategies can keep society functioning while we keep the most vulnerable shielded".

TheStorm
TopsailWolf said:

What happens after they determine you have it? Wilmington Health gave me a printed packet stating that I needed to self quarantine 10 days from TAKING the test or 14 days from START of symptoms. In hindsight I had symptoms 6-7 days before I even got tested, then waited 8 days to get my results back, then quarantined for 10 days per the recommendation but frankly that was probably overdone due to the fact that it was a week after initial symptoms before I knew I was exposed to somebody who had it.

We ate dinner with my dad on the Friday of Father's Day weekend. He called me a week and a half later and let me know he had been tested and results were positive, but I had no idea he was even sick. So, while I felt a little crappy the following wed/thurs after we ate I didn't think much of it. I had no fever, no real symptoms outside of moderate fatigue and we have a newborn and I had gone back to work on no sleep so just assumed I needed to catch up on some rest.

The only follow up to my knowledge, there was no follow-up of any kind with any contact points with the exception of my mom and MIL self quarantining after I let them know I had been exposed to my dad who tested positive. I recommended my office coordinator at work to be tested, but my company, nor Wilmington Health who did the testing gave any recommendation on notifying others who I had been around. *Note- I work in healthcare and have been wearing a mask since the end of March

No. myself, my wife, and infant daughter all had very mild symptoms so no need to go to hospital. I have a buddy who's a PA next door to my PT clinic and I let him know the story and had him order a test for me on the way home the day I found out.
Thanks for all that very detailed feedback. Would have thought they'd be more aggressive with some of their interaction with you but probably a result of what you described above as "very mild symptoms", but it was very interesting nonetheless and thank you for sharing it with us.

Best news of all in this was to hear that the recovery is continuing well for your wife and daughter.
acslater1344
Wayland said:

ICUs. First notice they don't go far back, like I said in the past, they didn't start collecting this information until early May. Next, that jump in the Triad (20 ICU patients in one day), looks more like a reclassification (like identifying a Step-Down unit as ICU for tracking purposes)... or maybe that jump is purely organic.

Lots to dive into.

Why'd you change the data filter for the last graph? Just curious as I'm not sure I'm following that last point. Thanks!
statefan91
Confirmed that our Pre-K program through the school system is doing remote and won't let us defer without losing my son's spot.

Not super important in the grand scheme of things but I find it bull**** that they won't let us defer. Pre-K is incompatible with remote learning.
Wayland
acslater1344 said:

Wayland said:

Lots to dive into.

Why'd you change the data filter for the last graph? Just curious as I'm not sure I'm following that last point. Thanks!
It shows as soon as the governor made the order to extend Phase 2 and implement a mask order, Meck hospitals instantly almost doubled their admission rates of Covid patients. We can see from the surveillance that ICU admits didn't follow along with such a sharp increase but that the number of non-critical patients has grown significantly the last two weeks. That growth was initially limited to one hospital group and came immediately AFTER the announcement was made. Hospitalizations had been stable (and ICUs even declining) UNTIL the announcement and somehow trends (especially in Meck) turned on a dime when the governor spoke.

Announced continuation of Phase 2 -> Hospital admission policy change to allow admit more non-critical patients -> Overall hospitalizations increase lead to impression that things are getting worse when it is a business decision (77k per patient in CARES money + expenses) -> Restrictions stay in place. It is a loop.

Again, let's provide the necessary care to anyone, but when we aren't honest with what the numbers are and we use it to drive fear, that is not good. The business decision for hospitals can be a win-win because they provide additional care, but then we have media (looking at your WRAL) announcing "OMFG RECORD HOSPITALIZATIONS DOOM IS COMING". Not helpful.

Wake is right behind Meck in case growth but CapRAC (inlcudes WakeMed hospitals) and MCRHC (includes Rex/UNC) don't show that same growth.
PackBacker07
Y'all means ALL.
Steve Williams
Staff
Is this real?

Wayland
Hold2LLC is a pretty solid, straight up data guy. Been following him for a while. His take was similar on a later tweet:

Quote:

People being counted as COVID patients but who are not sick with COVID-Like Illness

Examples:
- Tested positive PCR or AB for COV2 but no symptoms
- awaiting test results and considered a "suspected" case while waiting but no symptoms
- Test neg w/undiagnosed symptoms
acslater1344
Wayland said:

acslater1344 said:

Wayland said:

Lots to dive into.

It shows as soon as the governor made the order to extend Phase 2 and implement a mask order, Meck hospitals instantly almost doubled their admission rates of Covid patients. We can see from the surveillance that ICU admits didn't follow along with such a sharp increase but that the number of non-critical patients has grown significantly the last two weeks. That growth was initially limited to one hospital group and came immediately AFTER the announcement was made. Hospitalizations had been stable (and ICUs even declining) UNTIL the announcement and somehow trends (especially in Meck) turned on a dime when the governor spoke.

Announced continuation of Phase 2 -> Hospital admission policy change to allow admit more non-critical patients -> Overall hospitalizations increase lead to impression that things are getting worse when it is a business decision (77k per patient in CARES money + expenses) -> Restrictions stay in place. It is a loop.

Again, let's provide the necessary care to anyone, but when we aren't honest with what the numbers are and we use it to drive fear, that is not good. The business decision for hospitals can be a win-win because they provide additional care, but then we have media (looking at your WRAL) announcing "OMFG RECORD HOSPITALIZATIONS DOOM IS COMING". Not helpful.

Wake is right behind Meck in case growth but CapRAC (inlcudes WakeMed hospitals) and MCRHC (includes Rex/UNC) don't show that same growth.

Gotcha. I still don't quite follow how you filtered the last graph though to illustrate that point. If you look at the confirm 24 hour admittance data statewide, it tells a different story. Phase 2 extension announced 6/24, with 97 new admits that same day. The next 5 days all had LESS admits than the day the order was announced, and it wasn't until 7/8 when 24-hour admits really spiked (131 confirm cased admits). Now if you drill into specific regions/hospital groups, the story may change a bit, but for this discussion i would think the state wise data is more relevant.

Wayland
acslater1344 said:

Wayland said:

acslater1344 said:

Wayland said:

Lots to dive into.

Gotcha. I still don't quite follow how you filtered the last graph though to illustrate that point. If you look at the confirm 24 hour admittance data statewide, it tells a different story. Phase 2 extension announced 6/24, with 97 new admits that same day. The next 5 days all had LESS admits than the day the order was announced, and it wasn't until 7/8 when 24-hour admits really spiked (131 confirm cased admits). Now if you drill into specific regions/hospital groups, the story may change a bit, but for this discussion i would think the state wise data is more relevant.

Regional variation (and in turn variation due to policy of specific hospital groups) is more important than statewide. Of course it is important to see that Meck hospitals have a much higher incidence of non-critical admits than Wake hospitals. When you look statewide all the data blends, so that you can't pick out that one hospital group is pumping cases. When you separate them back out, you can see that clearly.

Hospitals in different regions are controlled by different entities, so also have different policies.

Regional or local data is much more important than statewide. Outbreaks are localized not evenly distributed over the state. Meck's curve is different from Guilford is different from Wake is different from New Hanover. Each locale experiences the outbreak differently.

I know I am arguing two slightly unrelated points here. One, Meck hospitals were pumping non-critical cases after Cooper's announcement of Phase 2. Two, local or regional data is vastly more important than statewide data when trying to identify outbreak trends.
Wayland
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Quote:

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

WRAL is at 1604* deaths

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 147 -> 155
Resident Care 99 -> 100
Correctional 24 -> 25
Other 13 -> 13

WRAL is at 1629* deaths

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Nursing Homes 155 -> 157
Resident Care 100 -> 104
Correctional 25 -> 25
Other 13 -> 14

WRAL is at 1634* deaths

7/19/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1115 <- 86% reporting (was 1154 at 90% yesterday)
Completed Tests

898 Deaths are now Congregate (+1)
212 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+2)
+5 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

524 Deaths assumed General Population (+2)
1110 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+3)

290 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (-10)
Nursing Homes 157 -> 149
Resident Care 104 -> 103
Correctional 25 -> 24
Other 14 -> 14

WRAL is at 1651* deaths

1820 positive cases over 15721 new tests. 11.6% positive rate.

It looks like the reporting lag has settled on a pattern and being a Sunday we are seeing more electronic and less lab cases. We will see if any lag changes affect this new pattern (with the peak Saturday).
Part of the reason for the case drop on Sundays is that the last few days of the lagging data (9 days out) now fall on a weekend, so there are less of those lagged cases to report. We'd expect tomorrow to be about the same and then a small bump up on Tuesday as the lagged cases (9 days out) now start falling on a weekday again.

Going to review county data, but don't expect to see much on a Sunday.

Deaths today: 7/18, 7/17(3), 7/15
7/20/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases
NC Deaths
Currently Hospitalized
1086 <- 86% reporting (was 1115 at 86% yesterday)
Completed Tests

900 Deaths are now Congregate (+2)
216 Deaths are now Unknown Setting (+4)
+8 Deaths Overall since yesterday.

526 Deaths assumed General Population (+2)
1116 Congregate and Unknown Setting. (+6)

287 Congregate Facilities now have an outbreak. (-3)
Nursing Homes 149 -> 147
Resident Care 103 -> 102
Correctional 24 -> 24
Other 14 -> 14

WRAL is at 1676* deaths

1268 positive cases over 29024 new tests. 4.4% positive rate.

Dates of Death Reported 7/20
7/19(2), 7/17(2), 7/16, 7/10, 7/7, 7/6, 6/30, 6/26
8 deaths + 2 previously missing deaths given dates.

Second consecutive day of net drop in congregate outbreaks.

Cases really low. I expected low but not THAT low, so I don't know if that lag is recovered already or it is waiting to drop.
Wayland
Random left field study out of SK. With all the caveats, AB.... small study... random questions...

First Page Last Page
Page 124 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.