Coronavirus

1,980,169 Views | 19754 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
statefan91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Even if it's only through 7/31, that seems like it would be a good test case to see if it helps?
Colonel Armstrong
statefan91 said:

Even if it's only through 7/31, that seems like it would be a good test case to see if it helps?
Agreed
TheStorm
Don't worry. After the election many of these deaths will be reclassified back to their true reason with an asterisk for *also had COVID...
redsteel33
Can someone clarify this part below? I must be misinterpreting the wording - thanks.

"& the law only allowing it thru July 31"
statefan91
https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1BRKjYDjZqRxw

If anyone wants to watch.

I think the thing that pisses me off the most about this is that the State could've implemented face covering requirements when Phase 2 was started and they didn't. If the science said that it was important, especially when not able to social distance as much, why wouldn't they have implemented it when they are starting to open things back up? The government has failed and now we are further delayed in opening.
mdreid
King Leary said:

whats funny is all the gyms in my area have been open for several weeks now
FlossyDFlynt
statefan91 said:

I think the thing that pisses me off the most about this is that the State could've implemented face covering requirements when Phase 2 was started and they didn't. If the science said that it was important, especially when not able to social distance as much, why wouldn't they have implemented it when they are starting to open things back up? The government has failed and now we are further delayed in opening.
Or during the protests the last three(ish) weeks. The picking and choosing when things get enforced is whats driving me insane throughout this whole thing
statefan91
Yep - I agree that if the protests were allowed, even outdoors, people should have been required to have masks on
RunsWithWolves26
Gotta love a farmer hating idiot like Roy Cooper. What a complete asshat.
mdreid
statefan91 said:

Yep - I agree that if the protests were allowed, even outdoors, people should have been required to have masks on
it was a lose lose situation, no way you could pass out citations/fines in that hostile anti cop environment, would of just made things worse.

only people that can enforce this mandate is stores not allowing people in, if not we're going to have grown adults turning in people or business for not wearing a mask.
FlossyDFlynt
mdreid said:

statefan91 said:

it was a lose lose situation, no way you could pass out citations/fines in that hostile anti cop environment, would of just made things worse.

only people that can enforce this mandate is stores not allowing people in, if not we're going to have grown adults turning in people or business for not wearing a mask.

And not enforcing it costs millions in property damage the first night. Sorry, you cant let one group get away with it because they are angry. I feel the same way about the Reopen protests as well.

The curfew wasnt enforced either. There is literally no point in mandates if you arent going to enforce them.
Wayland
I know IHME is kind of a joke these days. But look at their curves for NC now. They think even with current data we are past out peak.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/north-carolina

Colonel Armstrong
I wouldn't wipe my ass with those IMHE models, but that is interesting. Even models that were WAY overboard on deaths in NC are saying the worst is over.
Colonel Armstrong
Conflicting information here. Not sure if masks are/aren't going to be mandatory

Wayland
King Leary said:

Conflicting information here. Not sure if masks are/aren't going to be mandatory

Roy said they are mandatory as of Friday.

https://files.nc.gov/governor/documents/files/EO147-Phase-2-Extension.pdf
Colonel Armstrong
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article243760267.html
Wayland
Wayland said:

King Leary said:

Roy said they are mandatory as of Friday.

https://files.nc.gov/governor/documents/files/EO147-Phase-2-Extension.pdf

So, if I read the order correctly. Face coverings are required inside and outside BUT ONLY IN THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS:

Retail, Restaurants, Personal Care/Grooming/Tattoo, Child Care/Camps, State Government, Transportation, High Density Occupation, Meat/Poultry Processing, LTC, Healthcare.

Out and about, parks, streets etc aren't covered by those.
Packchem91
mdreid said:

statefan91 said:

And I do feel for storeowners....even though I know some were already doing this, there are lots of folks on edge, and I'd hate to have someone having to enforce this to some angry person who really wants to get into a store.
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

I agree with this....other than lack of supply, if you know it was important, and you know it maybe necessary to have this to get to p3, why wait a month before requiring it? Why not do it right away to protect storeowners, workers, health care workers then.....

I mean, I get "better late than never", but the science here didn't change. The optics did.
statefan91
For sure - and it could've been easily paired with giving people more of their freedom and stores back. Didn't even have to worry about mask supply, just require a face covering of any sort.
Daviewolf83
Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

I agree with this....other than lack of supply, if you know it was important, and you know it maybe necessary to have this to get to p3, why wait a month before requiring it? Why not do it right away to protect storeowners, workers, health care workers then.....

I mean, I get "better late than never", but the science here didn't change. The optics did.
This was the mistake Governor Cooper made when we moved to Phase 2. I was surprised when he opened up more businesses and did not require masks.

My wife and I have been wearing masks and my son is required to wear one whenever he leaves his house, since he has returned to college. My daughter has a suppressed immune system, so she has been wearing a mask since the early days of the virus. My wife and I also wear a mask when we visit her. We have been doing her grocery shopping, since the virus hit. Having a daughter with her condition makes us more sensitive to others and trying to do our part to make people feel comfortable around us when we are in public. I have been working from home, since the ACC tournament was shutdown in March, so my interaction with others outside of my house is very limited most of the time.
Everpack
Just so I'm understanding this correctly. We're all going to start wearing masks in public on Friday. This should lead to significant drop in cases two weeks from Friday. With a coinciding significant drop in hospitalizations a week later and then another significant drop in deaths the week after. Then what? Masks until zero deaths? Zero hospitalizations? Zero cases? What about flu season? Where does it end?
82TxPackFan
I don't give a damn what about Roy's mandate. He & his henchwoman totally f*cked up this whole situation. They have absolutely no clue whether the trends are up, down, or level. Worst governor ever in NC.
Civilized
Everpack said:

Just so I'm understanding this correctly. We're all going to start wearing masks in public on Friday. This should lead to significant drop in cases two weeks from Friday. With a coinciding significant drop in hospitalizations a week later and then another significant drop in deaths the week after. Then what? Masks until zero deaths? Zero hospitalizations? Zero cases? What about flu season? Where does it end?

Probably till a vaccine or until cases come way down.

It's a very minor inconvenience that allows us to move on with work, school, etc. The benefits clearly outweigh the drawbacks.
packgrad
Everpack said:

Until November. Then, if Dems win, everything will magically be ok, or at least acceptable. We will need to move forward then. **** Roy.
Everpack
Civilized said:

Everpack said:

It's a very minor inconvenience that allows us to move on with work, school, etc. The benefits clearly outweigh the drawbacks.

Probably? And which one? A vaccine or until cases come "way" down? And please define "way" down. This is the problem with these mandates. There's no finish line, so we'll just continue to dehumanize our society with another minor inconvenience for the sake of a virus that every other society managed to fight off in a matter of three months. But wearing masks four months from the onset of a pandemic in the middle of the summer is just what the doctor ordered.
FuzzyRed
Civilized said:

Everpack said:

This.
Packchem91
As a personal aside -- my youngest son is getting ready to start his JR year at SCarolina. They'd already announced start of on campus classes in mid-Aug and then end at T'giving, everything remote after that.....a plan a number of other schools, including NC State also adopted.

He told us tonight that of his 5 classes, he'd already been notified that 4 will be remote learning. Seeing all the CFB team cases pop up, this seems inevitable....though I will take it a bit hard to have to pay full tuition if they are doing remote learning. I was ok with it this spring....but fall...mehhh.
Everpack
Am I reading the NCDHHS dashboard correctly? 46% of all cases in the state are from the Hispanic community? My search shows the Hispanic community makes up 9% of the states population. That can't be right.
Wayland
Yes, of the cases where ethnicity is identified. 46% of all cases in NC are Hispanic and yes, it is a community that is being massively disproportionately affected.

It took the state a long time to say out loud.

There are a number of cases, probably close to a third with no ethnicity information.
Civilized
Everpack said:

Civilized said:

Everpack said:

Probably? And which one? A vaccine or until cases come "way" down? And please define "way" down. This is the problem with these mandates. There's no finish line, so we'll just continue to dehumanize our society with another minor inconvenience for the sake of a virus that every other society managed to fight off in a matter of three months. But wearing masks four months from the onset of a pandemic in the middle of the summer is just what the doctor ordered.

I'm not making the rules I'm just speculating. It would be whichever of those two happen first.

"Dehumanize"? It's a mask, not a rubber glove exam.

This is not 'Nam, man.

It's like you're whining about wearing a seatbelt or washing your hands.
packgrad
Civilized said:

Everpack said:

Civilized said:

Everpack said:

I'm not making the rules I'm just speculating. It would be whichever of those two happen first.

This is not 'Nam, man.

3 trolling comments in one post. Applause. You're certain to win agreement.
Everpack
Civilized said:

Everpack said:

Civilized said:

Everpack said:

This is not 'Nam, man.

Like I said, there's no finish line.

And maybe dehumanize is a poor choice of words, but I'm already tired of going into public with people in masks looking as people without masks like they're lepers. Or watching how people in general won't even look at other people in the eyes. Or passing someone at work and smiling in acknowledgement to their existence only to remember I'm wearing a damn mask. Or having to put masks on my 11 and 7 year old so they can walk into the dentist for a checkup. Whatever word you want to use to define those thoughts, use it. I feel like it's dehumanizing.

I'll also ask again, where does it end? Not probably some opinion. What's the finite end goal to all NC citizens wearing a mask in all public places.
Everpack
Wayland said:

Yes, of the cases where ethnicity is identified. 46% of all cases in NC are Hispanic and yes, it is a community that is being massively disproportionately affected.

It took the state a long time to say out loud.

There are a number of cases, probably close to a third with no ethnicity information.

Is it acceptable to discuss why this is disproportionately affecting one ethnicity? I mean, I doubt they're shopping at different grocery stores or using a Hispanic only Lowe's.
Civilized
Everpack said:

Like I said, there's no finish line.

And maybe dehumanize is a poor choice of words, but I'm already tired of going into public with people in masks looking as people without masks like they're lepers. Or watching how people in general won't even look at other people in the eyes. Or passing someone at work and smiling in acknowledgement to their existence only to remember I'm wearing a damn mask. Or having to put masks on my 11 and 7 year old so they can walk into the dentist for a checkup. Whatever word you want to use to define those thoughts, use it. I feel like it's dehumanizing.

I'll also ask again, where does it end? Not probably some opinion. What's the finite end goal to all NC citizens wearing a mask in all public places.

I hear you man. I'm tired of this Rona **** too.

But this, too, shall pass and the more of us that wear masks and are smart about socializing/gathering the quicker it will be.

What benchmark do you think is reasonable to get to before the mask mandate is lifted?
First Page Last Page
Page 104 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.