NCAA CWS #RoadtoOmaha Pack9 vs Kentucky Sat 1 PM (L5-4) Mon 1 PM CDT (L5-4)

91,181 Views | 1526 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by Glasswolf
Alex Gee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Trj10 said:

Alex Gee said:

Walk, steal, BS balk call.

After the walk he threw 4 strikes and 2 balls getting 3 outs.

Like I get it I guess, but it feels like hindsight. I fully expected him to mow down 6,7,8 and instead they hit a backside homerun.

It's hindsight to go with your closer in the 9th up one?

That's been the formula all year and it's lead to State going 14-2 in game 1s
James Henderson
Staff
Packchem91 said:

Alex Gee said:

Dudan also had just gone pop out, strike out, pop out with both pop outs traveling a grand total of about 60 feet.

I just don't think hyperanalyzing that decision is worth it.

But is it hyper analyzing to say "use your season long closer to close G1 at WCS?"

I don't think going with the better option is hyperanalyzing.

NC State should be game-planning to getting to the 9th with a lead and being able to hand it over to Smith with no one on base and no pitches.

That should be the goal.
CLTWolf
Werewolf said:

CLTWolf said:

Alex Gee said:

Smith and Dudan enter the season with basically the exact same usage haha. Freshman aren't freshman anymore at this point. Neither of them have pitched in Omaha.

Again, dude just started watching the team last weekend. He has no idea that D Rock threw 3 innings last year. Far from seasoned or polished.
My friend, I've coached many years of baseball and pitched in to college. Beat Univ of TN as a Freshman. I know pitching.

You don't know fk all about NC State pitchers.

Cool, I played college ball a long time ago too. Haha
Trj10
Alex Gee said:

Trj10 said:

Alex Gee said:

Walk, steal, BS balk call.

After the walk he threw 4 strikes and 2 balls getting 3 outs.

Like I get it I guess, but it feels like hindsight. I fully expected him to mow down 6,7,8 and instead they hit a backside homerun.

It's hindsight to go with your closer in the 9th up one?

That's been the formula all year and it's lead to State going 14-2 in game 1s

To leave Smith on the bench during State's biggest games?
James Henderson
Staff
Alex Gee said:

They were somehow worse so I guess take that into consideration, but this is more of fault than pitching or coaching decisions.

10 hits and only 1 coming with RISP

If you can't hit with RISP why bunt?
matracey
Got no issues with sending Dudan back out for the 9th. He's closed out multiple games. 5 days ago he was brought in with bases loaded, one out and he struck out Charlie Condon. Dude has earned trust.

Are we forgetting Smith also gave up the winning home run today? Or a home run (albeit a cheap one that probably doesn't get out anywhere but UGA's park) to Condon last weekend? Who's to say Smith doesn't give up the game tying home run instead and we're talking about how Avent should have left Dudan in?

Just hit better with RISP and the pitching decisions don't matter. 1-11 and 12 LOB
CLTWolf
Neither team did sht with RISP today.
matracey
James Henderson said:

Alex Gee said:

They were somehow worse so I guess take that into consideration, but this is more of fault than pitching or coaching decisions.

10 hits and only 1 coming with RISP

If you can't hit with RISP why bunt?

Because 2nd and 3rd with one out opens up ways to score without getting hits. Wild pitch (how we took the lead), safety squeeze bunt, sacrifice fly out/ground out. Lot more options
Werewolf
CLTWolf said:

Werewolf said:

CLTWolf said:

Alex Gee said:

Smith and Dudan enter the season with basically the exact same usage haha. Freshman aren't freshman anymore at this point. Neither of them have pitched in Omaha.

Again, dude just started watching the team last weekend. He has no idea that D Rock threw 3 innings last year. Far from seasoned or polished.
My friend, I've coached many years of baseball and pitched in to college. Beat Univ of TN as a Freshman. I know pitching.

I don't have time for resume comparison, but promise it's not close.
SniderFC
Left too many guys on base…seems to be a recurring theme.
CLTWolf
Werewolf said:

CLTWolf said:

Werewolf said:

CLTWolf said:

Alex Gee said:

I don't have time for resume comparison, but promise it's not close.

You've watched 3 or 4 games this season. I've missed maybe 2-3 over the last 3 or 4 years. You're right, it's not close. At all.

My man borowolf may not know ball too well but at least he shows up each and every game to complain. I can respect the sht out of that. haha
pblanks
So why was dudan yanked? A slapped ball to LF had them lose that much confidence in him? The decision to stay with him in the 9th and then pull him immediately are conflicting to me and why I question the move.
Werewolf
We can agree on that. Chow.
StateFan2001
CLTWolf said:

StateFan2001 said:

We know you do.

Weird how you were nowhere to be found after the win Monday. But here you are like fkn clockwork. Haha

Must've had to work late. Haha

You need to look more closely.
CLTWolf
StateFan2001 said:

CLTWolf said:

StateFan2001 said:

We know you do.

Weird how you were nowhere to be found after the win Monday. But here you are like fkn clockwork. Haha

Must've had to work late. Haha

You need to look more closely.

Don't need to.
ThomasEvans
Would have liked to see Smith start the 9th with the day off on Sunday but Dudan fully capable. That's baseball.

Once they didn't get that 2nd run across in the 8th for some insurance you knew it could change on one swing.
Pack31
Gotta score more than 4 to win a college baseball game this day and time. Not on the pitching...couldn't hit when we needed it. It happens. Win Monday. They've exceeded my expectations at this point anyway
pblanks
I don't think anyone is blaming the pitching.
M_A
pblanks said:

So why was dudan yanked? A slapped ball to LF had them lose that much confidence in him? The decision to stay with him in the 9th and then pull him immediately are conflicting to me and why I question the move.
Yep, you believe in Dudan as your closer you dont yank him in a tied game
griff17matt
Werewolf said:

Chow? Do you mean ciao? Couldn't find a Twitter video to explain that one to you, eh?
wilmwolf
"Elliott Avent said Noah Soles is seeing a doctor right now. He felt something in his hamstring and Avent said "We didn't want to push it. ... It was more of a precaution."

So that decision can be removed from the coaching malpractice complaints.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
CLTWolf
Pack31 said:

Gotta score more than 4 to win a college baseball game this day and time. Not on the pitching...couldn't hit when we needed it. It happens. Win Monday. They've exceeded my expectations at this point anyway
Waaaaaaaaay exceeded.

Lose Hogue to a nasty broken leg, dude was hitting .314 to that point and was hitting just under .400 over the last 7 games or so. He can play, huge loss.

Lose Willy who's your Friday guy before the season.

Lose SVD who's your main long guy with some stuff.

Just the way this squad battles is awesome.
CLTWolf
griff17matt said:

Werewolf said:

Chow? Do you mean ciao? Couldn't find a Twitter video to explain that one to you, eh?
He was telling me to go eat, maybe?
Pakbackr
Just too many missed opportunities today.
CLTWolf
Pakbackr said:

Just too many missed opportunities today.
This is the truth.
Rob McLamb
Staff
This all could have been avoided. I should have worn my Expos hat. FML
Twitter: @RobMcLamb
ChemE94
Rob McLamb said:

This all could have been avoided. I should have worn my Expos hat. FML

And there it is, the real reason we lost. Lol
boguesound
We're fine.
gopack_83
Ugh, this one sucked. Felt like UK made a living off catching the wind out in LF and riding it for a home run. I thought we had that one

Oh well, not easy from here but definitely not over. LSU started 1-1 last year IIRC
Glasswolf
gopack_83 said:

Ugh, this one sucked. Felt like UK made a living off catching the wind out in LF and riding it for a home run. I thought we had that one

Oh well, not easy from here but definitely not over. LSU started 1-1 last year IIRC
Nope. LSU didn't lose until dropping one game to Fla in the championship. Last team to come out of the losers bracket was Oregon St in 2018.

12 teams have won the CWS coming from the losers bracket.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

GOPACK_LATER
Glasswolf said:

gopack_83 said:

Nope. LSU didn't lose until dropping one game to Fla in the championship. Last team to come out of the losers bracket was Oregon St in 2018.

LSU lost the first game to WFU after winning their opener. Beat UTenn and then Wake twice to advance.
kmb717
Glasswolf said:

gopack_83 said:

Wrong. They lost the winners bracket game to Wake.
James Henderson
Staff
matracey said:

Got no issues with sending Dudan back out for the 9th. He's closed out multiple games. 5 days ago he was brought in with bases loaded, one out and he struck out Charlie Condon. Dude has earned trust.

Are we forgetting Smith also gave up the winning home run today? Or a home run (albeit a cheap one that probably doesn't get out anywhere but UGA's park) to Condon last weekend? Who's to say Smith doesn't give up the game tying home run instead and we're talking about how Avent should have left Dudan in?

Just hit better with RISP and the pitching decisions don't matter. 1-11 and 12 LOB

Yes I don't think Smith on pitch 30 is same as Smith on pitch 1. It's why I don't want him getting to pitch 30.
James Henderson
Staff
Right all that small ball worked out well for UK in 8th.

Runner on 2nd no outs and bunted!
James Henderson
Staff
M_A said:

pblanks said:

Yep, you believe in Dudan as your closer you dont yank him in a tied game

Yep should have left him in at that point if you have the confidence to send him out in 9th especially given he has more length than Smith.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.