NCAA CWS #RoadtoOmaha Pack9 vs Kentucky Sat 1 PM (L5-4) Mon 1 PM CDT (L5-4)

91,170 Views | 1526 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by Glasswolf
kbdavis33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
James Henderson said:

Smith's stuff right now falls off fast. You don't want him at 25+ pitches man. That's why you roll with him bases empty to start 9th.

That's a failure as a staff IMO. It's okay to say that.

100%.
James Henderson
Staff
Daviewolf83 said:

James Henderson said:

Smith's stuff right now falls off fast. You don't want him at 25+ pitches man. That's why you roll with him bases empty to start 9th.

Totally agree. I am still stunned he did not come in the bottom of the ninth. Falls squarely on Avent and Chrysler.
If you don't go to Smith in that spot, what's the point of saving him?
wolfman18
James Henderson said:

Had a 1-2 count and hung a breaking ball lol. AVENT! COACHING!!!!!
pblanks
He went to smith one batter later. Makes no sense if the leash was that tight.

We went away from the formula that got us here.
kmb717
Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

Or the other team made two really good swings against two of your best guys.

They're number two in the country for a reason. We could be talking about scoring more than 4 also.

Yep. We were given a free out to tack on in the top 9th and still couldn't do it.
PossumJenkins
James Henderson said:

Threw his best pitch. Unfortunately, we now need Smith to throw pitch No. 30.

And you lose.

Cool man…Dudans best pitch is still in his pocket.
James Henderson
Staff
wolfman18 said:

James Henderson said:

But he threw his best pitch!
WlfpckFtbll
PackBacker07 said:

Per NCAA:

"Twelve teams in Men's College World Series history have gone on to win the national championship after dropping their first game in Omaha. The most recent example came in 2018, when Oregon State won six straight games to claim the title.

The group of 12 to escape the losers' bracket after Game 1 account for less than 17 percent of national champions.

In 2019, two first-round losers, Louisville and Texas Tech, advanced to the national semifinals before bowing out."

Haha damn what graphic did i see, softball?!
pblanks
If we ever needed a zoom, it's today.
Alex Gee
Staff
James Henderson said:

Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

They're number two in the country for a reason. We could be talking about scoring more than 4 also.
Well when you're bunting early and often it's hard to talk about scoring more than 4. You're playing for low-scoring with that mentality.

Also didn't bunt in a 1st and 2nd no out spot and grounded into a DP. I just think sometimes you can tip the cap to the other team for making a play
James Henderson
Staff
pblanks said:

EXACTLY!

If you weren't going to Smith to start the inning, why are you with a runner on 1st and no outs and Dudan at 18 pitches.

Tie game, how long could you even go with Smith at that point?
M_A
We dont have the guns of some other teams in this bracket. Cozart is a mid to late first round pick. AMak and Pennington hit like studs. Serrano did for the Regionals but laid an egg today. After that the order really drops off. Soles had stepped up these last couple weeks too but now he appears to be out?

It's just going to be damn tough. There are 8 teams left. It's like when we ran into Edey and the Edeyettes. You got match that star power or play perfect
Acb0110
James Henderson said:

wolfman18 said:

James Henderson said:

At the end of the day, players have to execute. Should have bunted in the 5th with two and no outs. Instead, DP, no runs. I like Avents aggressive style but sometimes you just gotta play small. Especially against a dirty team like Kentucky who can score 1000 ways.
StateFan2001
James Henderson said:

Daviewolf83 said:

James Henderson said:

Totally agree. I am still stunned he did not come in the bottom of the ninth. Falls squarely on Avent and Chrysler.
If you don't go to Smith in that spot, what's the point of saving him?

I thought the pitch sequencing was terrible with Duran and Smith. Dudan in the 9th with fastball away and not mixing in the fastball enough with Smith to keep folks from just sitting on his slider. You have to mix in the 93-94 fb or the slider becomes very hittable.
ClePack
Damn. Sucks to have that horse waiting in the stable and decide not to use him when you should. Love avent, but there's a reason we have no banners at the doak. Amazing guy, but not the best manager, and it's ok to say that. He's done a lot for state baseball.
kmb717
We had one XBH. A Maks homer. Probably wouldn't have even scored in the 9th if we didn't get a gift wild pitch.
M_A
James Henderson said:

pblanks said:

EXACTLY!

If you weren't going to Smith to start the inning, why are you with a runner on 1st and no outs and Dudan at 18 pitches.

This is the thing to me. Avent made a bargain to try to keep things clean for the pen the rest of the Series. After he gave up the HR you let him finish the inning one way or the other.
wilmwolf
Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

Well when you're bunting early and often it's hard to talk about scoring more than 4. You're playing for low-scoring with that mentality.

Also didn't bunt in a 1st and 2nd no out spot and grounded into a DP. I just think sometimes you can tip the cap to the other team for making a play

A guy hitting .100 on the year on outside fastballs barely hits an outside fastball out to the opposite field off the end of the bat. He could've done that off Dudan, or Smith, or Nolan Ryan. Good for him. Of egregious coaching blunders, that fails very low on my list.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
pblanks
Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

The other team making a play and bad decisions by our staff can both be true.

When you leave dudan in the 9th and they tie it, you're almost pot committed to continue to ride him. I don't agree with it, I'd go with smith, but going with dudan and pulling him one spot later is just bad. It is.
Wearestate13
It is wild seeing other teams lineups essentially all .300+ . I know it's not all about average but our 5-9 have pretty bad averages for a great college team
pblanks
M_A said:

We dont have the guns of some other teams in this bracket. Cozart is a mid to late first round pick. AMak and Pennington hit like studs. Serrano did for the Regionals but laid an egg today. After that the order really drops off. Soles had stepped up these last couple weeks too but now he appears to be out?

It's just going to be damn tough. There are 8 teams left. It's like when we ran into Edey and the Edeyettes. You got match that star power or play perfect

Personally I wasn't that impressed with Kentucky. We gave them a run and they hit 3 balls that were slapped over the smallest part of the field.

If they are the 2nd best team in the country then we aren't far behind.

To the victor goes the spoils but I think we have a better team.
wilmwolf
James Henderson said:

pblanks said:

EXACTLY!

You go to the guy to get you the out you need right then, not the outs you might need later. Everyone praised very similar decisions in the super regional. It is very annoying how you and Ethan just show up to baseball in the post season and jump all over every coaching decision.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
DrummerboyWolf
Tough way to lose after throwing out the runner at second. 1-2 count, the pitch location was not great and it looked like it hung.

We had several opportunities to score but hit too many "at'em" balls right at the fielders. Several of those hit hard but just the wrong location.

The only problem I have is not putting Smith in for the 9th. We might have lost there too and I understand why Avent left Dudan in after the way he finished the 8th. Don't know why we continued to pitch outside to lefties with the wind blowing that way.

Got to come back strong on Monday.

GO PACK!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
poexcuse
wolfman18
It's easy to second guess. Dudan looked fine and I didn't have an issue with leaving him in for the 9th. Kentucky makes some plays and now it's another referendum on Avent. It's like clockwork
James Henderson
Staff
Acb0110 said:

James Henderson said:

wolfman18 said:

James Henderson said:

At the end of the day, players have to execute. Should have bunted in the 5th with two and no outs. Instead, DP, no runs. I like Avents aggressive style but sometimes you just gotta play small. Especially against a dirty team like Kentucky who can score 1000 ways.

Why bunt Cozart in the 5th inning? Didn't he have your only rbi at that point?
Trj10
Dudan struggled through the 8th and thankfully made it. We had our best closer in the pen, during the 8th and 9th. That is on Avent.

Edit: makes complete sense for him to the finish the 8th. But Smith has to start the 9th…and if he loses, you lose with your best.
CLTWolf
wolfman18 said:

It's easy to second guess. Dudan looked fine and I didn't have an issue with leaving him in for the 9th. Kentucky makes some plays and now it's another referendum on Avent. It's like clockwork

Ain't this the truth. Haha
ChemE94
Packpride dude asked about not sticking to the formula and putting smith in for the 9th. EA said they did - they went to dudan, and then smith- didn't work out….
James Henderson
Staff
Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

Alex Gee said:

James Henderson said:

I never want Cozart bunting especially with runners in scoring position with what's coming up behind him.

But yeah first baseman made a really good play to turn a DP.

Bunting with Cozart bc I'm scared he may hit into a DP is wild to me.
DecaturWolf
Men and women basketball made runs this year. Football did too after the loss to dook. Pack9 will be back!
pblanks
wilmwolf said:

James Henderson said:

pblanks said:

EXACTLY!

You go to the guy to get you the out you need right then, not the outs you might need later. Everyone praised very similar decisions in the super regional. It is very annoying how you and Ethan just show up to baseball in the post season and jump all over every coaching decision.

And it's really lame how the baseball guys act entitled to the game because others have stuff going on in February besides college baseball. Give me a break. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Baseball guys are becoming as bad a hockey guys. It's not your sport.

You needed 3 outs to win and you have one of the best closers in the game. I or anyone else don't need to watch every baseball game on the calendar to question that move. Who knows who's right but the question isn't out of bounds. .
Wearestate13
I mean he's technically correct lol.

They did go Dudan-Smith
CLTWolf
pblanks said:

wilmwolf said:

James Henderson said:

pblanks said:

EXACTLY!

And it's really lame how the baseball guys act entitled to the game because others have stuff going on in February besides college baseball. Give me a break. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Baseball guys are becoming as bad a hockey guys. It's not your sport.

Lol
James Henderson
Staff
wilmwolf said:

James Henderson said:

pblanks said:

EXACTLY!

Show up to baseball in the postseason? I've watched every game this season. You're crying about the wrong guy there.

I just don't bow down and agree with every coaching decision like some others.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.