NCAA CWS #RoadtoOmaha Pack9 vs Kentucky Sat 1 PM (L5-4) Mon 1 PM CDT (L5-4)

127,151 Views | 1528 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Wolfer79
Glasswolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pakbackr said:

When will the team head out? Wednesday or Thursday?

Fly out Wednesday morning. I imagine as in years past Thursday will be a media day for all teams.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

matracey
wilmwolf said:

Article from another site said they would be on the plane on Wednesday.
Dang quick turnaround
wilmwolf
matracey said:

wilmwolf said:

Article from another site said they would be on the plane on Wednesday.
Dang quick turnaround

That's the crappy part about getting the Saturday to Monday super regional draw (and needing to play on Monday).
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
DecaturWolf
CackalackRunner said:

Hotel room for Friday night in/near Omaha. Does it matter that much being closer to the action or is staying outside the town reasonable?

Driving from Dyersville if it makes a difference.
I stayed across the river in Council Bluffs in 2021. Cheaper. You also UBER in.
DecaturWolf
DrummerboyWolf said:

I may be remembering wrong, but I don't think so. In 2013 we had the afternoon game on Saturday and beat UNC like 8-1 or something like that. 2021 we had the afternoon game on Saturday and beat Stanford fairly easily too. Could be a good omen that we have the afternoon game on Saturday against Kentucky.
In 2021, our game with Stanford kicked it off on Fridayv at 1 pm local time.
CLTWolf
DecaturWolf said:

CackalackRunner said:

Hotel room for Friday night in/near Omaha. Does it matter that much being closer to the action or is staying outside the town reasonable?

Hopefully it's changed but in 2021 it was super hard to get Uber/Lyft rides due to demand and lack of drivers. It was crazy.
CLTWolf
DecaturWolf said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

I may be remembering wrong, but I don't think so. In 2013 we had the afternoon game on Saturday and beat UNC like 8-1 or something like that. 2021 we had the afternoon game on Saturday and beat Stanford fairly easily too. Could be a good omen that we have the afternoon game on Saturday against Kentucky.
I think it was Saturday (not that it matters) but what I remember is that it was so hot that day for our game vs Stanford and then Monday for our game against Vandy, it was almost chilly outside for that game.
DecaturWolf
CLTWolf said:

DecaturWolf said:

CackalackRunner said:

Hopefully it's changed but in 2021 it was super hard to get Uber/Lyft rides due to demand and lack of drivers. It was crazy.
I was there in 2021 and had no trouble getting an UBER. I walked away from the stadium a few blocks to call one.
Wolfvet
CLTWolf said:

DecaturWolf said:

CackalackRunner said:

CLT I hate to put you on the spot but can you give us your scouting report on Kentucky and how we match up with them? Thanks in advance.
FlossyDFlynt
Just FYI, got my ticket confirmation from the WPC about half an hour ago
DrummerboyWolf
DecaturWolf said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Respectfully I believe you are wrong. Here is a link to the bracket and our first game was on Saturday according to the NCAA site. The tournament did start on Saturday that year and not Friday.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/baseball/d1/2021
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
CLTWolf
Wolfvet said:

CLTWolf said:

DecaturWolf said:

CackalackRunner said:

CLT I hate to put you on the spot but can you give us your scouting report on Kentucky and how we match up with them? Thanks in advance.
I can try. Alex can and probably will give a more detailed report but here's what I know and took away from the handful of games I've seen of them this year.

• small ball-ish. They are extremely aggressive on the base paths so Cozy gonna get work Saturday. They have 4 dudes with 10 or more steals and two guys with 20 or more swipes on the season. They will run.
  • UK doesn't have a ton of lefthanded pitchers to throw out at us. They have one starter who is LH that transferred in from Central Connecticut State this year. Not a lot of swing and miss with that guy. The two starters I watched go against Oregon State didn't really impress me. Only thing that impressed me less was the Beavers and their approaches at the plate. Was strange.
  • UK has a transfer from Campbell that is from Wake Forest. He throws a ton for them having pitched in 33 games leading them in appearances.
  • Their LFer is a transfer from Charleston Southern (2nd year at UK) and is a high draft candidate. Their 1B is a bopper with 21 bombs.

TD Ameritrade sets up well for us and UK so this should be a good game. I'm just not sure how UK was the 2nd overall seed but that's just my opinion.

I can try to add more later but that's what I've got off the top of my head and Im sure Ethan and Alex will add more as well.
Alex Gee
Staff
CLTWolf said:

Wolfvet said:

CLTWolf said:

DecaturWolf said:

CackalackRunner said:

I can try. Alex can and probably will give a more detailed report but here's what I know and took away from the handful of games I've seen of them this year.

• small ball-ish. They are extremely aggressive on the base paths so Cozy gonna get work Saturday. They have 4 dudes with 10 or more steals and two guys with 20 or more swipes on the season. They will run.
  • UK doesn't have a ton of lefthanded pitchers to throw out at us. They have one starter who is LH that transferred in from Central Connecticut State this year. Not a lot of swing and miss with that guy. The two starters I watched go against Oregon State didn't really impress me. Only thing that impressed me less was the Beavers and their approaches at the plate. Was strange.
  • UK has a transfer from Campbell that is from Wake Forest. He throws a ton for them having pitched in 33 games leading them in appearances.
  • Their LFer is a transfer from Charleston Southern (2nd year at UK) and is a high draft candidate. Their 1B is a bopper with 21 bombs.

TD Ameritrade sets up well for us and UK so this should be a good game. I'm just not sure how UK was the 2nd overall seed but that's just my opinion.

I can try to add more later but that's what I've got off the top of my head and Im sure Ethan and Alex will add more as well.

This is really good. I am out this week unfortunately. Was hosting some folks at Pinehurst today and will be on a long planned vacation starting Saturday. So I'll be tuning in from the car that I hope to convince my wife to drive for a bit lol.

Gonna just wear my fan hat and enjoy it.
pblanks
Looking at their regional and super regional box scores, their #1 pitcher is a righty (Posser) and went 7 innings and only giving up 1 run in each game. Dude has an era in the 3s in the SEC so he did something right. No clue if he will start Saturday, but I would assume so.
Alex Gee
Staff
Pooser is good. Not a strikeout guy which we thrive against. 4.15 ERA, 52IP, 46ks.

I don't trust statistics in college baseball at all though.
pblanks
Hmmm. Kentucky site has Posser as 7-1 with a 3.46 era.

Looking at his game log is pretty impressive. In the last half of the season, he goes between 5-7 innings every start with a max number of hits per outing of 5. Florida got him for 5 runs but everyone else is 1-4 runs against pretty stiff comp.

But they have to hit our pitcher too, pal.
CLTWolf
pblanks said:

Looking at his game log is pretty impressive. In the last half of the season, he goes between 5-7 innings every start with a max number of hits per outing of 5. Florida got him for 5 runs but everyone else is 1-4 runs against pretty stiff comp.

His starts in the conference came against...

9-21 Missouri
11-19 Ole Miss
13-17 Bama
8-22 Auburn
22-8 Tennessee - good win here
13-17 SCar
20-10 Arkansas - good win. Arkansas couldn't really hit very well tho. Awesome pitching and defense, no bats.
13-17 Florida - doesn't hit particularly well nor pitch particularly well. Gave up 5 earned to the Gators but since the Gators made the CWS, they're good now.
13-17 Vandy

122-148 combined record.

Maybe they start the lefty against us. I'd be fine with that too.
Alex Gee
Staff
pblanks said:

Payton Green rule. Have to look at conference only stats to even remotely make a judgement, IMO. But I still hate stats in college baseball. Way too many variables.
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

pblanks said:

Payton Green rule. Have to look at conference only stats to even remotely make a judgement, IMO. But I still hate stats in college baseball. Way too many variables.
Yeah, because the game has gone so offensive here of late, we can't look at numbers (particularly pitchers) through the same lens that we have traditionally looked at them. I hope we get back to a game that is a little more balanced toward the pitchers. Not a huge fan of the way the game is playing out right now.
Glasswolf

Glasswolf

Glasswolf

Glasswolf

Glasswolf

Richdawg_098
Glasswolf

78wilsonpack
Glasswolf said:

Glass, I'm excited too, but get some sleep.
Wolfer79
Based on tweey from Ravech yesterday, this is tv crew for CWS NC State vs Kentucky

karlravechespn (pbp), @PerezEd (analyst), @realbenmcdonald (analyst) & @DaniWex (reporter) #NCAABaseball #MCWS
Glasswolf
Wolfer79 said:

Based on tweey from Ravech yesterday, this is tv crew for CWS NC State vs Kentucky

karlravechespn (pbp), @PerezEd (analyst), @realbenmcdonald (analyst) & @DaniWex (reporter) #NCAABaseball #MCWS
Ben McDonald is a good one but still a SEC homer. I like Wexelman also. Most don't because she's a woman but she covers a lot of baseball all the way up to MLB.

Haven't heard if it will be Haynes or Sanders on the radio call but regardless I will be listening to the radio call.

Glasswolf
78wilsonpack said:

Glasswolf said:

Glass, I'm excited too, but get some sleep.

That's a M-F thing my friend. I had just gotten to the gym lol.

Glasswolf

ParrT
Glasswolf said:

Haven't heard if it will be Haynes or Sanders on the radio call but regardless I will be listening to the radio call.

I was hoping for Sanders and Tony together at the CWS as a trial run. Then we got the news about the new guy yesterday...
Glasswolf

Wolfer79

Making the trip to Omaha?

We have pregame events on Saturday that are open to all Wolfpack fans. Help us celebrate @NCStateBaseball at the College World Series!
DrummerboyWolf
ParrT said:

Glasswolf said:

I was hoping for Sanders and Tony together at the CWS as a trial run. Then we got the news about the new guy yesterday...
I don't think the new guy is going to do baseball according to the press release yesterday.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.