#Pack9 vs Boston College 3/8 (5-4 win (11)(9-1 Win ) (18-16 win)

18,408 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by braz213
Riddickulous
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Play by play guy wanted that to go over the wall so badly.
Wolfer79
FINAL: NC State 18, Boston College 16
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

We can sugarcoat it and blame it on wind but these last few were not wind aided.....pitching is a real problem

Pitching all day Friday was pretty damn good.

This isn't awesome by any means, but we are still going to sweep these guys and days like this are going to happen.
It's besides the point. The fact that we are running one guy after another out that can't throw strikes at a high level ACC program residing in a state full of prospects is so lazy on the recruting front. Does Wake have this issue too?
wgpack
Surprised Clint wasn't shown the door after last season. That display today was UGLY!
Packsd14me
We have a pretty good team. Middle infield defense is much improved. We hit from top to bottom with hitters sitting watching. Run okay but deficiencies in outfield arms and lack overall speed. Catching is great and 3 deep. Pitching- Lots of arms learning roles but very deep staff. We can play better and swept a good team in our first series. Lots to like about this group, me thinks.
Alex Gee
Staff
Swept a tournament team. Gave up 5 total runs on Friday in 20 innings. Had some bad pitches today, ish happens. Paired with the wind and you get this. You know who you can go to when you absolutely have to have it and still have upside choices behind those guys.

32 runs on the weekend. This is a legit ball club. Take a look at scores around the country and you'll see other teams give up runs too!

Alex Gee
Staff
StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

We can sugarcoat it and blame it on wind but these last few were not wind aided.....pitching is a real problem

This isn't awesome by any means, but we are still going to sweep these guys and days like this are going to happen.
It's besides the point. The fact that we are running one guy after another out that can't throw strikes at a high level ACC program residing in a state full of prospects is so lazy on the recruting front. Does Wake have this issue too?

Dude, yes they do haha. They've had bad games too.
8 to Binghamton, 9 to Georgetown, 8 the other night to Duke. And that's wildly considered the best staff in the country. It's college baseball
kmb717
Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

8 to Binghamton, 9 to Georgetown, 8 the other night to Duke. And that's wildly considered the best staff in the country. It's college baseball

Alex you know damn well most of these posters haven't watched a pitch outside of State games.
FLWolf
3-0 in ACC huge

great weekend

I do not mind getting hit hard but the walks are a killer-clean that part up
FlockaWolf
kmb717 said:

Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

Alex you know damn well most of these posters haven't watched a pitch outside of State games.

So State fans have to watch non State teams to understand college baseball?

Half the pitches thrown today were balls and 10 batters were walked and 16 runs given up. That's not good and I don't know why that's controversial to say.
CLTWolf
StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

You should look up the stats. You're wrong.

Maybe you're right this season but since 2018 the stats say you're wrong.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
SportManagementEngineer
Yeah, I don't think it is too critical to say the pitching staff struggled today. It is early and we're still figuring out who the right bullpen arms will be, but we'll shorten the bullpen like always and the numbers will improve.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
wilmwolf
Riddickulous said:

Play by play guy wanted that to go over the wall so badly.

Budrovich just thinks any ball hit hard out of the infield is going to be a home run. As Andrew Sanders always says, you have to watch how the outfielders react, not listen to sound.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Alex Gee
Staff
FlockaWolf said:

kmb717 said:

Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

Half the pitches thrown today were balls and 10 batters were walked and 16 runs given up. That's not good and I don't know why that's controversial to say.

It's not. The pitching today was not good. Paired with the wind it made it much worse for both teams.

My point was that this is college baseball and runs are scored like crazy everywhere against everyone. I'm ok with a game like this, especially with a win, when the other two in the series featured really good pitching performances.
qcpackfan
You don't need to be a college baseball connoisseur to realize that issuing 10 walks and hitting multiple batters is awful. The conditions obviously amplified the final result but they need to fix the process; winning games like that is unsustainable, especially with the upcoming schedule
ChemE94
I'll take wins like today over style points all season long, especially coming off a week where a bunch of guys were sick all week. The season is young and this team is learning to win!
StateFan2001
CLTWolf said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

You should look up the stats. You're wrong.

Maybe you're right this season but since 2018 the stats say you're wrong.
That's why we have ended up with 5 guys that we can trust each of the last several years. The rest can't command it well enough to help out.
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

FlockaWolf said:

kmb717 said:

Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

It's not. The pitching today was not good. Paired with the wind it made it much worse for both teams.

My point was that this is college baseball and runs are scored like crazy everywhere against everyone. I'm ok with a game like this, especially with a win, when the other two in the series featured really good pitching performances.
10 walks is unacceptable period. And it is dang 50/50 with anyone we send out there other than Whitaker whether we are going to be around the zone on a given day.
CLTWolf
StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

FlockaWolf said:

kmb717 said:

Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

10 walks is unacceptable period. And it is dang 50/50 with anyone we send out there other than Whitaker whether we are going to be around the zone on a given day.
ok.
Wolfer79
StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

Someone wise once told me that those people are social terrorists. They go around blowing up everybody else's day. Don't argue with them. Don't negotiate with social terrorists.
wilmwolf
12-2. 9 wins in a row. Why can't we ever just enjoy winning? It's always a race to be the first one to say we might not be good, so when we lose in the future folks can say I told you so. It's gross.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
CLTWolf
CLTWolf said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

FlockaWolf said:

kmb717 said:

Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Slobbering_Wolf said:

10 walks is unacceptable period. And it is dang 50/50 with anyone we send out there other than Whitaker whether we are going to be around the zone on a given day. ake has had this issue too, historically.

23 - Wake gave up the least amount of BB in the league. Nice, I expected that from one of the best pitching staffs in conference history.
22 - 12th
21 - 10th
20 - 10th
19 - 13th
18 - 13th
So yeah, Wake has had this problem every year but one.

NC State on the other hand...
23 - 5th in the league
22 - 7th
21 - 5th
20 - 2nd
19 - 3rd
18 - 5th

We very well could finish outside the top half of the league in BBs this year but it would be the first time in at least 6 years that's happened so yeah we don't do a terrible job of recruiting pitchers with command. That just isn't true.

Literally no one said 10 walks was acceptable.

wolf howl
wilmwolf said:

12-2. 9 wins in a row. Why can't we ever just enjoy winning? It's always a race to be the first one to say we might not be good, so when we lose in the future folks can say I told you so. It's gross.
Agreed. Enjoy 3-0 in the ACC. There's no asterisks next to the record.
FLWolf
BTW, we can rake even when the pitching struggles
tau06
Really nice to see Eli get rolling today. Hopefully a start of a great roll for him.
StateFan2001
wilmwolf said:

I am not saying we aren't a good ball club. I think there are a lot of things to like early with this group. I am saying we have to do a better job with pitcher evals. Too many guys that can't throw strikes.
I guess you can't say anything critical these days without being labeled a hater.
kmb717
5 walks in an inning from the best pitching staff in the country? How is Wake this bad at scouting pitchers?

CLTWolf
kmb717 said:

5 walks in an inning from the best pitching staff in the country? How is Wake this bad at scouting pitchers?

10 walks for Wake through 5 innings...
FlockaWolf
Love to see it
Alex Gee
Staff
Duke is freaking legit by the way.

I think Wake is a tiny bit overrated also. But the ACC is so damn good this year. This sweep was huge.
Wolfer79
wilmwolf said:

Why can't we ever just enjoy winning? It's always a race to be the first one to say we might not be good, so when we lose in the future folks can say I told you so. It's gross.

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday put it best
Doc Holliday: A man like Ringo has got a great big hole, right in the middle of him. He can never kill enough, or steal enough, or inflict enough pain to ever fill it.

Wyatt Earp: What does he need?

Doc Holliday: Revenge.

Wyatt Earp:
For what?

Doc Holliday:
Bein' born.
CLTWolf
CLTWolf said:

kmb717 said:

make that 12 walks through 7...
CLTWolf
CLTWolf said:

CLTWolf said:

kmb717 said:

13 walks for Wake into the top of the 9th...
CLTWolf
CLTWolf said:

CLTWolf said:

CLTWolf said:

kmb717 said:

13 walks for Wake into the top of the 9th...
Wake ends up walking 14 dukies dropping the game 10-8.

kbdavis33
wilmwolf said:

I don't think it's the same, because I do think this baseball team is legit.

But what you're saying is kinda like the people that victory lapped the 5-1 MBB start.

You can be excited about a start but also have legitimate concerns. I think it's fair to be concerned about the bullpen, but obviously pumped about the sweep and season start.

Me personally, I'm just surprised about the pitching so far considering the preseason talk was that this team's arms might be the best we've had in years, but I feel like I haven't seen that by any stretch yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.