#Pack9 vs Boston College 3/8 (5-4 win (11)(9-1 Win ) (18-16 win)

18,187 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by braz213
Alex Gee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I thought we pitched extremely well on Friday. And have had plenty of other games where we were lights out against legit teams.
wilmwolf
Alex Gee said:

I thought we pitched extremely well on Friday. And have had plenty of other games where we were lights out against legit teams.

Right. In a three game series, I don't expect every single starter and reliever to have a great outing. I don't know if that's what other people think good pitching is, but that would be an unreasonable expectation.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wilmwolf
kbdavis33 said:

wilmwolf said:

12-2. 9 wins in a row. Why can't we ever just enjoy winning? It's always a race to be the first one to say we might not be good, so when we lose in the future folks can say I told you so. It's gross.

I don't think it's the same, because I do think this baseball team is legit.

But what you're saying is kinda like the people that victory lapped the 5-1 MBB start.

You can be excited about a start but also have legitimate concerns. I think it's fair to be concerned about the bullpen, but obviously pumped about the sweep and season start.

Me personally, I'm just surprised about the pitching so far considering the preseason talk was that this team's arms might be the best we've had in years, but I feel like I haven't seen that by any stretch yet.

Yeah, I'm probably not the best audience for that analogy. I think people being concerned when you're 5-1 is silly too. It's not fun for me as a fan to be worried about what might happen, especially when what might happen is as negative. Does it make folks feel better to be right that the 5-1 start didn't continue? I hope not, because that makes me feel bad for those folks lives in general. Always waiting for the worst to happen is a crappy way to go through life, NC State fans need to move past that *****

As to the arms on this team, I don't know what people saw before the season. In game action, as I said earlier in this thread, there are at least 8 guys who have all looked good against good competition so far this year, and maybe more. Our bullpen looked fine on Friday, and a couple of those guys could've thrown again today that didn't if we had wanted. There's lots of young guys in the pen, and you have to put them out there in game action at some point, a game where you have an 8 run lead is a good time to do that. Unfortunately BC teed off on a few of them, and there were too many walks, but it happens in baseball to really good pitchers sometimes.

I'm going to watch the games and enjoy them. Folks can worry if they want.
StateFan2001
Fellas 10 walks in a game is terrible at any level, including little league. I have watched plenty of middle school games and don't see 10 walks.
westerj12
StateFan2001 said:

Fellas 10 walks in a game is terrible at any level, including little league. I have watched plenty of middle school games and don't see 10 walks.

I say cancel rest of the season ..
PossumJenkins
StateFan2001 said:

Giving up 18 runs is terrible at any level too. Turns out it happens and the other team did. Turns out it's a W
StateFan2001
PossumJenkins said:

StateFan2001 said:

Giving up 18 runs is terrible at any level too. Turns out it happens and the other team did. Turns out it's a W

It's ok to look at some things critically. 22 walks in 3 games this weekend isn't good at all. As an ACC level pitching staff that is terrible.
I still support and am a huge fan of our baseball team.
Wolfer79
StateFan2001 said:

PossumJenkins said:

StateFan2001 said:

It's ok to look at some things critically. 22 walks in 3 games this weekend isn't good at all. As an ACC level pitching staff that is terrible.

#1 Wake Forest gave up 22 walks in 3 games.
kbdavis33
wilmwolf said:

kbdavis33 said:

wilmwolf said:

12-2. 9 wins in a row. Why can't we ever just enjoy winning? It's always a race to be the first one to say we might not be good, so when we lose in the future folks can say I told you so. It's gross.

I don't think it's the same, because I do think this baseball team is legit.

But what you're saying is kinda like the people that victory lapped the 5-1 MBB start.

You can be excited about a start but also have legitimate concerns. I think it's fair to be concerned about the bullpen, but obviously pumped about the sweep and season start.

Me personally, I'm just surprised about the pitching so far considering the preseason talk was that this team's arms might be the best we've had in years, but I feel like I haven't seen that by any stretch yet.

Yeah, I'm probably not the best audience for that analogy. I think people being concerned when you're 5-1 is silly too. It's not fun for me as a fan to be worried about what might happen, especially when what might happen is as negative. Does it make folks feel better to be right that the 5-1 start didn't continue? I hope not, because that makes me feel bad for those folks lives in general. Always waiting for the worst to happen is a crappy way to go through life, NC State fans need to move past that *****

As to the arms on this team, I don't know what people saw before the season. In game action, as I said earlier in this thread, there are at least 8 guys who have all looked good against good competition so far this year, and maybe more. Our bullpen looked fine on Friday, and a couple of those guys could've thrown again today that didn't if we had wanted. There's lots of young guys in the pen, and you have to put them out there in game action at some point, a game where you have an 8 run lead is a good time to do that. Unfortunately BC teed off on a few of them, and there were too many walks, but it happens in baseball to really good pitchers sometimes.

I'm going to watch the games and enjoy them. Folks can worry if they want.
Gotcha. I'm somewhere in the middle, I definitely celebrate success. But I think if you want to maintain success and achieve the goals you have as a team, that even when you're winning you're looking to get better.

Not worried right now if yall aren't though.
wilmwolf
"But I think if you want to maintain success and achieve the goals you have as a team, that even when you're winning you're looking to get better"

I agree one hundred percent, but that is the job of the coaching staff and the players, not message board posters. No amount of message board hand wringing has ever impacted what happens on the field, so I don't see that as productive. Obviously many people do, otherwise James likely wouldn't be running a successful business right now.
TraCha4
Big to get a sweep on first weekend of conference play. Great start to the season. This team seems to have some grit and fight to em. Hope that remains through the grind of the season.
CLTWolf
Combined records so far of the bottom 5 ACC teams giving up the most walks...64-10

Those teams are an undefeated FSU team, us, UVA, Wake and Duke. Obviously not ACC level pitching staffs, nope.

Look, it's not great but let's not do this thing where we have this faux outrage about our staff not being ACC level.
I mean c'mon.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
kmb717
StateFan2001 said:

There's not a single person on here that said 10 walks is acceptable. But you followed that up with saying that our coaches can't evaluate pitchers and that we don't have an ACC caliber set of arms. What has been pointed out is that some of the best pitching staffs in the country also have had similar things occur.
Alex Gee
Staff
I get the walk frustration. That said - Hawaii has drawn (not including HBO, too much work lol) 93 walks in 12 games. It's what they do. They had a player get thrown out of a game for celebrating a walk lol.

I tend to think that's not who we are. Dom for example - Teams are hitting .215 off Fritton but his ERA is 6.88. That will almost certainly even out. He walked 17 batters total last season, already 11 so far.
PossumJenkins
StateFan2001 said:

PossumJenkins said:

StateFan2001 said:

Completely agreed...I don't think your analogy to include little league as an argument, constitutes looking at something critically however.
Packamylase
So, in ACC Baseball, there's still an Atlantic and Coastal division?
FlockaWolf
Packamylase said:

So, in ACC Baseball, there's still an Atlantic and Coastal division?

Yes, so Duke beating Wake helps us
packer_07
Yep
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

I get the walk frustration. That said - Hawaii has drawn (not including HBO, too much work lol) 93 walks in 12 games. It's what they do. They had a player get thrown out of a game for celebrating a walk lol.

I tend to think that's not who we are. Dom for example - Teams are hitting .215 off Fritton but his ERA is 6.88. That will almost certainly even out. He walked 17 batters total last season, already 11 so far.

Yep we just have to clean it up across the board. 25 walls in Hawaii and 22 this weekend. Winning won't continue if it doesn't clean up. I feel like the rotation will get it cleaned up. Not so sure about pen.
Alex Gee
Staff
StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Yep we just have to clean it up across the board. 25 walls in Hawaii and 22 this weekend. Winning won't continue if it doesn't clean up. I feel like the rotation will get it cleaned up. Not so sure about pen.
I'm still just not there with you on the concern for the bullpen. I think we all can agree that the guys we are truly going to depend on are Whit, Highfill, Fritton, Dudan, Marohn, Lucas, Fanning, Van Dam, and maybe Consiglio. That's 8-9 arms that are either experienced, draft talents, or both.

Smith, Labriola, & Andrews had a lion's share of those walks and I don't expect to see them run out there every weekend. Those top 9 guys had a 2.2 strikeout to walk ratio and a 4.30 ERA in this 3 game set. That group had a 2.70 ERA this weekend if you don't include Fritton and Van Dam who I know we all think are going to be really good for State.

ETA: Bullpen only from that group including SVD (got sidetracked lol) had a 3.53 ERA
wilmwolf
Dom had what, 7ks and 3BBs on a day where he was clearly not at his best. A lot of teams would take that from a Sunday starter and be happy. And on a day where any ball near the plate had a chance to go out with even a mediocre swing, that's gotta be hard for guys. Also, we've only had one mid week game now a month into the season. That's tough too because that's when you normally get those guys work, see who can be counted on, who can be stretched out, and now you're trying to do that in series.
Packsd14me
It's early guys. Most of the guys you are talking about are seeing their first ACC action or returning from injury. Highfill will be better this year than last. Fritton was one of our most reliable arms last year. Could he be working on a new pitch trying to get better but causing a little wildness? Patience guys. Everyone has to settle into their roles. Once that happens, I expect more consistency and better pitching performances overall. We can hit. We have solid catching. Steady middle infield play. We don't need 3 no hitters to win. If the pitching facet of our team improves, which I believe it will, this could be a really good team. Maybe Omaha again.
PossumJenkins
Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

I'm still just not there with you on the concern for the bullpen. I think we all can agree that the guys we are truly going to depend on are Whit, Highfill, Fritton, Dudan, Marohn, Lucas, Fanning, Van Dam, and maybe Consiglio. That's 8-9 arms that are either experienced, draft talents, or both.

Smith, Labriola, & Andrews had a lion's share of those walks and I don't expect to see them run out there every weekend. Those top 9 guys had a 2.2 strikeout to walk ratio and a 4.30 ERA in this 3 game set. That group had a 2.70 ERA this weekend if you don't include Fritton and Van Dam who I know we all think are going to be really good for State.

ETA: Bullpen only from that group including SVD (got sidetracked lol) had a 3.53 ERA
Also still interested why we haven't seen Shafner or Kelly to add to the guys we can depend on above
pack2010
PossumJenkins said:

Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Also still interested why we haven't seen Shafner or Kelly to add to the guys we can depend on above

Kelly pitched the last 2 batters against BC. Hit the first guy then gave up a rocket to the wall that almost gave BC the lead

Shaffner is a good question, my only guess is his arm isn't 100% but that's just speculation.
ClePack
Alex Gee said:

Wow, those dom numbers are crazy. I really hope/think he settles down. In order for us to get to where we want to go, he HAS to be our horse. Can't do it without him
FLWolf
For those that get so complaining about people concerned with the walks.....I think everyone is happy with the record but concerned with projecting forward.

I hope our pitching improves as the year goes on
nakinawolf
We need our pitchers to be throwing their best in June, July and August, not March, April and May. It's very rare for pitchers to have their "best stuff" and pin point accuracy for a six month stretch in a season. As long as our pitching staff as a whole improves as the season progresses and doesn't peak too soon, the raw talent is there to allow us to have a special season!
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Good post
StateFan2001
nakinawolf said:

We need our pitchers to be throwing their best in June, July and August, not March, April and May. It's very rare for pitchers to have their "best stuff" and pin point accuracy for a six month stretch in a season. As long as our pitching staff as a whole improves as the season progresses and doesn't peak too soon, the raw talent is there to allow us to have a special season!

The season would be over when you want them throwing their best.
braz213
He's on the MLB schedule. Our guys would be balling but in their summer leagues.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.