#Pack9 @ Hawaii 2/23-25 (W 17-12, 5-7 loss, 10-8 win (8))

20,349 Views | 261 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by FLWolf
pack2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pack2010 said:

Bcwhitl2 said:

Do we think the lack of use for Mako is because he will get a chance to be the midweek starter?

that is my guess, but we'll find out soon. have 5 games next week will really allow some kids to get some innings.

we haven't seen guys like carson kelly, halford, win scott, shaffner, or miralia yet.

throw in wimbush and bechtel too as they both got some praise for their mound ability this preseason
pack2010
Civilized said:

When we've struggled so far walks and errors have played a huge part and I doubt they'll be so persistent as the season plays out (knock on wood).

Trip of a lifetime for those guys and they took 2 of 3 from a pretty good team, to boot.

What are y'all's thoughts on the starting rotation so far?

rotation is going to be fine if they throw strikes. highfill, over the course of his career, is about a 3 walk per 9 guy. last year fritton was 3.4 walks per 9. This year Highfill is at 9 walks a game, while Fritton is still low-ish, but has walked 3 and hit 3 in 8 innings. Marohn has also issues 8 walks in 8.2 innings.

Assuming those even out, they'll be good/possibly very good.
Wolfer79
A seven-run fifth inning powered the NC State baseball team to a 10-8 series-clinching victory over Hawaii on Sunday afternoon at Les Murakami Stadium. Sunday's series finale finished in eight innings due to a travel curfew.

After Hawaii (3-4) took its first lead with two runs in the bottom of the fourth inning, Wolfpack catcher Jacob Cozart crushed a go-ahead two-run homer off the scoreboard in right center to put NC State ahead 5-4. Cozart's towering homer to right center came just one pitch after Garrett Pennington opened the frame with a double to left field.

Four straight singles followed Cozart's homer, including a two-RBI single from designated hitter Drew Lanphere to stretch the Pack's lead to 7-4 with nobody out in the inning. A walk from leadoff batter Noah Soles loaded the bases with one out before Josh Hogue singled up the middle to plate two more to make it 9-4 Wolfpack. A sacrifice fly from Pennington, who sparked the Wolfpack's rally earlier in the frame, expanded the Pack's lead to 10-4.

The Wolfpack and Rainbow Warriors traded two-run frames in the second inning. NC State struck first for the first time in this weekend's series when Luke Nixon drove in a pair with a single up the middle. Hawaii erased the Pack's early 2-0 advantage behind Sean Rimmer's RBI double and Kyson Donahue's sacrifice fly in the bottom half.

NC State re-established its lead in the third behind Alec Makarewicz's RBI single. Makarewicz fouled off three pitches before delivering an RBI single on an 0-2 count to make it 3-2 Wolfpack. Hawaii then took its only lead with two runs in the bottom of the fourth when leadoff batter Elijah Ickes lofted a two-RBI single to left field.

Sophomore reliever Shane Van Dam curtailed Hawaii's attempted rally in the bottom of the fifth, entering the game in a bases-loaded, nobody-out situation and not allowing the Rainbow Warriors to push a single run across. Van Dam struck out back-to-back batters to open his appearance before Serrano III tracked down a fly ball from Stone Miyao in center field to end the threat.

Van Dam then tossed a scoreless sixth to maintain the Pack's six-run advantage, striking out Dallas Duarte looking to end the inning. The Rainbow Warriors scored two in the bottom of the seventh to trim the score to 10-6.

Hawaii scored two more runs in the eighth inning to cut the lead to 10-8, but the game reached its predetermined curfew during the eighth frame. Derrick Smith entered with two outs in the bottom of the eighth and induced a groundout to third base to notch his first-career save.

For the second time this weekend, the Wolfpack recorded 15 hits or more with at least six NC State batters logging multi-hit performances. Hogue, Cozart, Lanphere and Nixon each paced the Pack with two RBI apiece.

Heath Andrews, who made his first-career appearance in Sunday's game, earned the win after pitching 0.2 scoreless innings in relief of starting pitcher Ryan Marohn.

The Wolfpack exceled in situational hitting opportunities throughout the afternoon, batting .364 (4-for-11) when batting with two outs and .385 with runners in scoring position (5-for-13).

UP NEXT
NC State makes the long journey back to Raleigh and opens a 10-game homestand against Queens University of Charlotte on Wednesday afternoon. Wednesday's midweek matchup against Queens is set for 3 p.m. and will stream live on ACC Network Extra.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/25/baseball-seven-run-fifth-inning-powers-13-wolfpack-to-series-clinching-win-over-hawaii
wilmwolf
matracey said:

There's your pitching depth 65. Suck on it

I'm just curious what people expect pitching depth to be. We pitched, what, 11-12 guys this weekend? Do we expect to bring in one ace after another? To me, depth means you have lots of guys who are capable of throwing in various situations.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wilmwolf
Just think, instead of traveling to beautiful Hawaii and winning a series, we could've played a regional team in Greenville and lost like the Holes did.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Alex Gee
Staff
Civilized said:

When we've struggled so far walks and errors have played a huge part and I doubt they'll be so persistent as the season plays out (knock on wood).

Trip of a lifetime for those guys and they took 2 of 3 from a pretty good team, to boot.

What are y'all's thoughts on the starting rotation so far?
I'm not concerned. Sloppy at times? No doubt. I think Hawaii might be the most patient team at the plate I've watched in a while, I swear they wouldn't swing at breaking stuff ever and were stone cold in 2 strike counts.

It was in 4 games, but they drew 27 walks against Ole Miss also. We only walked 12 guys against VCU for the entire series. We've used 12 pitchers in the two series, 3 of which have real experience. I think that a) it's going to take another week for the young guys to get going & b) I'll be shocked if Fritton, Highfill, and Whitaker finish with ERA's over 5.50 where they all sit now.

First time traveling and not just a bus ride. Hawaii and VCU don't suck. We played what ultimately was a really good schedule last year, but the leadup to conference play was Wagner, Belmont, & NJIT who all finished outside of the top 200. Towson will fit that bill, but VCU/Hawaii won't. They could be tournament teams. I'm glad that we have actually been pushed by real teams before BC rolls into Raleigh in 2 weeks.
pantherpack
Glad the program was able to go to Hawaii on what will be a memorable lifetime experience. Selfishly though, as a fan I'm ready to see my Pack play on TV consistently.
tau06
pack2010 said:

Alex Gee said:

CoachCase said:

Heels and Pirates had an exciting series with Pirates winning two of the three. In a tweet from Pirate homer Denny O'Brien he took opportunity to plug those two as best programs in the state. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but pretty strong comment considering WFU is currently #1 and Pack is certainly no slouch. Any thoughts from you guys who are more knowledgeable about baseball in our state?
I can't stand ECU baseball and their following. Win something of significance in the postseason. Easily 4th in the state IMO.

Wake is the gold standard right now. State and UNC are right there from a longevity perspctive. I think State is more consistent, but UNC has more ACC titles and CWS appearances.

And Duke looks like the best team out of the gate this year with an ACC title in the last couple years (compared to UNC and NCSU, not Wake)

We will see. Small sample but Pack handled Duke pretty easily in the fall from what I heard.
tau06
65Pack said:

I am right we don't have much pitching… but keep trying.

You are not. But keep typing away and yelling at clouds. 2 series wins and a top 25 squad and all we hear is *****ing lol
Alex Gee
Staff
Scrolling twitter and seeing our "fans" say we are lucky this game was called is hilarious to me. We had 10 runs and 15 hits. Hawaii was on their 6th pitcher and likely going to go to their 7th. We were probably going to score more runs...

Also, the entire reason the game hit a time limit was for the reasons above lol. It's like we can't give our guys credit and only look for the worst-case scenario. I can't stand that mindset, man.
CoachCase
Alex Gee said:

Scrolling twitter and seeing our "fans" say we are lucky this game was called is hilarious to me. We had 10 runs and 15 hits. Hawaii was on their 6th pitcher and likely going to go to their 7th. We were probably going to score more runs...

Also, the entire reason the game hit a time limit was for the reasons above lol. It's like we can't give our guys credit and only look for the worst-case scenario. I can't stand that mindset, man.
Agree. If the tables had been turned - it would be just the opposite! People are so fickle. Baseball, especially early, is a work in progress and you have to keep the big picture in mind.
Pbacker
Did the team get back home? Assuming they took the red eye.
stategrad06
Alex Gee said:

I'm glad we won the game. I think I beat it over the head in our pod that you can't walk guys and hit guys the way we are. Probably a little too critical. I do like the arm talent we have.

But we are on the same page. I do think criticism is more palatable with wins.

They did have Takemoto ready to go - he only threw 6 pitches Saturday so I wouldn't have felt the best about another inning although I think we ultimately would have closed it out. Kind of perplexed to only see him throw 6 pitches on the weekend.
RaisedByWolves
You are an EXTREMELY negative a@@hat. Have never seen a positive post from you. I'm glad you pay $12 a month to have diarrhea of the fingers.
JCooke93
Louder
JCooke93
Was in Dallas earlier this morning
FLWolf
Have to throw strikes in this next series-teams are going to stay patient against us until we throw strikes consistently

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.