Carlos Rodon 2020-21 topic

35,206 Views | 326 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wilmwolf
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SportManagementEngineer said:

Wolfer79 said:

Rodon out after 5 innings

5.0 innings pitched
22 batters faced
67 pitches. 46 strikes
5 hits. 1 home run, 4 singles
2 runs, both earned
6 ground outs, 4 fly outs, 3 strike outs
1 hit batter
1 walk

White Sox lead 9-2
Should get the win.

10-7 White Sox going to bottom of 9th
Wolfer79
White Sox win 10-7

Rodon 10-5, 2.43
Wolfer79
MLB future pitchers shows Rodon to pitch Wednesday in Chicago vs Pirates
Wolfer79
Rodon still scheduled to start tonight
Wolfer79
Rodon Wednesday vs Pirates

5.0 innings
20 batters faced
55 pitches, 47 strikes
5 hits, double
1 run, earned
1 walk
1 wild pitch
5 k
5 ground out, 2 fly outs

win 11-5, 2.41 ERA
DrummerboyWolf
Wolfer79 said:

5.0 innings
20 batters faced
55 pitches, 47 strikes
5 hits, double
1 run, earned
1 walk
1 wild pitch
5 k
5 ground out, 2 fly outs

win 11-5, 2.41 ERA
Wolfer just a quick correction. He threw 75 pitches with 47 being strikes.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

5.0 innings
20 batters faced
55 pitches, 47 strikes
5 hits, double
1 run, earned
1 walk
1 wild pitch
5 k
5 ground out, 2 fly outs

win 11-5, 2.41 ERA
Wolfer just a quick correction. He threw 75 pitches with 47 being strikes.

thank you
Wolfer79
Carlos Rodn will not pitch for the White Sox during this week's series in Oakland, as the left-hander continues to experience shoulder fatigue and soreness, per manager Tony La Russa.

"It's not a decision that you like doing," La Russa said. "We like him pitching, but he's still not experiencing the good feeling, whether it's fatigue and a little soreness.

"But right now, we're hoping he can pitch against the Red Sox over the weekend but there are no guarantees there. When he doesn't feel right, it's impossible to push it. You don't even dare, even think of that. We do miss him in the rotation."

Since July 1, Rodn has topped 100 pitches just once, with 104 in a victory at the Twins on July 6. The White Sox have the opportunity to let him get close to 100 percent healthy with a big lead in the American League Central and the playoffs approaching.
"Tired, sore. You know, there is a combination there, not just fatigue," La Russa said. "He's got some soreness to him.
"You've all heard it before and it's true, whether it's arm, legs, back, soreness is what you live with in this game. You don't ever play not sore, if you're pitching or playing. But you recognize sore versus hurt, and we don't want to get him hurt."

The White Sox have taken great care with Rodn this season, as he has made six starts with four days' rest, five with five days' rest and 10 with six-plus days, per Baseball Reference. Even with that caution, the smart thing is to be concerned, per La Russa, especially with such a valuable component.

"You don't want to think it's a rainbow all the time and get splashed," La Russa said. "The concern is more that since his first assignment to now, he's had more rest. We've really been careful with him. He's probably pitched four or five times with four days' rest.

"There's been a number of times in games where we've taken him out and he says, 'I've got more,' and I said, 'No, that's enough.' That's what's concerning, that all this should add up to where right now he would be in peak form. You have to face the reality. But we are optimistic. If we just get smart and back off, he'll pitch for us."

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/carlos-rodon-won-t-pitch-during-series-with-oakland
Wolfer79
Rodon started Friday vs Red Sox

5.0 innings
18 batters faced
86 pitches, 62 strikes
3 hits, 1 home run
1 run, earned
0 walks
7 strikeouts, 2 ground outs, 2 fly outs

win
12-5
2.38 ERA
Wolfer79
Carlos Rodn has started three games for the White Sox since returning from the injured list in late August and will get only two more before the postseason.

https://t.co/khEPTjr0tk
Wolfer79
MLB.com has Rodon starting tonight in Detroit
Wolfer79
Monday vs Detroit

3.0 innings
14 batters faced
69 pitches, 44 strikes
2 hits
3 runs, 2 earned
2 walks
6 strike outs
1 ground out, 3 fly out

no decision
Wolfer79
Carlos Rodn's short Zoom session following the White Sox 4-3 loss to the Tigers on Monday night at Comerica Park was stopped briefly by a question the left-hander directed at the media.

It was a question about all the questions concerning soreness in his left shoulder, which manager Tony La Russa had spelled out as a reason for Rodn's concerning departure after three innings and 69 pitches.

"Are all these questions gonna be about how I feel?" said a respectful but clearly frustrated Rodn. "Because I would like to talk about the game."

But Rodn's health is what holds significant weight for Chicago moving forward. The White Sox (85-65) are going to win their first American League Central title since 2008, and they will probably do it in Detroit after Kansas City's doubleheader sweep of the Indians on Monday cut their magic number to 2.

The White Sox have been cautious with their usage of a pitcher who threw 42 1/3 innings combined over the last two seasons, especially considering Rodn's trip to the injured list was due to left shoulder fatigue. But as of late, he has not totally responded.

Rodn cruised through the first inning on 11 pitches, but he threw 30 in the second and 28 in the third in his first start since Sept. 10. He has not thrown more than five innings in his last seven starts, dating back to July 18.

"In the first two innings, we were all encouraged. He threw the ball well," La Russa said. "In the third, he lost command, he was struggling. Actually fortunate to leave [the third inning] with three runs. He came back in and said he wasn't right, soreness. So we're concerned."

"Just disappointed in myself to go out there and give up three runs when they put up three runs for me," Rodn said. "That's a shutdown inning, and that's on me. So honestly it's pretty [bad]."

As for that shoulder problem?

"Yeah, it's just normal soreness," Rodn said. "Nothing crazy."
wilmwolf
Admittedly I don't follow MLB much, but it's weird to me how much La Russa talks about the shoulder stuff. I guess I'm just used to coaches keeping injury talk under wraps.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wolfer79
saw thought Rodon will pitch again on September 29 and that will probably determine his status for postseason
Wolfer79
Update by Tony La Russa on Carlos Rodon health ." He is scheduled to throw today or tomorrow ( side session) so we will keep our fingers that he is good to go and we have a really good look at the situation in Cincinnati whether it's Tuesday or Wednesday."

Wolfer79
White Sox manager Tony La Russa said Rodon (arm) will start Wednesday's game against the Reds in Chicago after the southpaw completed a bullpen session Monday, James Fegan of The Athletic reports.

La Russa was hopeful that a week and a half away from game action would provide sufficient time for Rodon to overcome his bout with left arm soreness, but the skipper noted that the All-Star's side session was merely "OK." Rodon still proved healthy enough in the workout to gain clearance for his final start of the regular season, but it wouldn't be surprising if he had a short leash Wednesday as the White Sox aim to keep him fresh for the playoffs. With that in mind, Rodon isn't necessarily the must-start option this week that his stellar 2.47 ERA over 23 outings this season would normally make him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/white-soxs-carlos-rodon-cleared-for-wednesdays-start/amp/
johntom
I'd imagine Rodon's start tomorrow will be a short outing to make sure the arm is ready to go for the playoffs. Not much point in pushing it to go 7 or 8 innings even if he's pitching well.
Wolfer79
Rodon Wednesday vs Reds

5.0 innings
18 batters faced
69 pitches, 43 strikes
1 hit, double
0 runs
2 walks
4 strike outs, 1 ground out, 9 fly outs

win
13-5, 2.37 ERA
Wolfer79
White Sox manager Tony La Russa was noncommittal about Carlos Rodn's status for the upcoming American League Division Series against Houston, beginning Thursday at Minute Maid Park.

The left-handed starter, who should garner AL Cy Young Award votes for his stellar 2021 performance, has been bothered by left shoulder soreness. He allowed one hit over five scoreless innings and 69 pitches in a victory over the Reds on Wednesday, lowering his ERA to 2.37. But Rodn's fastball averaged 90.9 mph, per Statcast, which was down from a season average of 95.4 mph. He topped out at 92.7 mph.

"The only comment I'll say is the obvious one: One of the things of why he's been so special this year, it's not just that he's had stuff. He's had velocity, he's had breaking ball, changeup," La Russa said Sunday. "It's just that he's pitched with those.

"His velocity wasn't what it has been, but he pitched. He got pitches to both sides of the plate, slider was good, threw some changeups. So that's the issue, stamina and strength. Is he going to have as much as he had? More than he had? Less than he had?"

Rodn played catch on Sunday, with La Russa adding the plan is for Rodn to throw a bullpen Tuesday. He wouldn't be needed as a starter until Game 3 or Game 4 (if necessary), which would be Oct. 10 or 11 in Chicago.

"He's like the great unknown," La Russa said. "I think the plan now is for him to throw a bullpen, maybe Tuesday, and [we'll] check that out very carefully and fast-forward to when he would go out there and make a determination. But that could be a tough call.

"Since he just pitched, and he's been getting work in and getting treated, there's no way to answer it today without flipping a coin. We just need to check him out Tuesday. I think the roster doesn't go in until Thursday morning, maybe see how he feels on Wednesday. It's that important and that tough a call."

Rodn finished 13-5 with 185 strikeouts and 36 walks over 132 2/3 innings. He had thrown 42 1/3 innings combined over the last two seasons prior to '21.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/carlos-rodon-s-playoff-chances-2021
PackFansXL
La Russa seems overly concerned about covering his own privileged arse and much less concerned with managing the psyche of one of his best players and the confidence that teammates usually gain from starting a dominant pitcher. Crazy genius method?
Wolfer79
PackFansXL said:

La Russa seems overly concerned about covering his own privileged arse and much less concerned with managing the psyche of one of his best players and the confidence that teammates usually gain from starting a dominant pitcher. Crazy genius method?

or management wants something in contract negotiations

yes you made the All-Star team but were not available for playoffs due to arm issues and this is not your first injury

PackFansXL
Wolfer79 said:

PackFansXL said:

or management wants something in contract negotiations

yes you made the All-Star team but were not available for playoffs due to arm issues and this is not your first injury

Good point. I don't like La Russa but I might be allowing my perception to be clouded by that. I hope Los earns himself a payday and an opportunity with a more supportive manager next season. Most of all, I hope he continues to improve as a pitcher and his health allows him to compete for several more seasons.
TheStorm
Wolfer, what's the deal with the "Rodn" spelling? Have I missed something? Cut & Paste, right?
Wolfer79
TheStorm said:

Wolfer, what's the deal with the "Rodn" spelling? Have I missed something? Cut & Paste, right?

when I cut and paste with the accent over the o, the letter gets deleted and I just haven't taken the time to change word by word
Wolfer79
White Sox senior vice president/general manager Rick Hahn spoke to media members for 30 minutes during a Monday afternoon Zoom call, discussing a number of topics in relation to the upcoming American League Division Series against the Astros.

Carlos Rodn availability

Hahn has frequently talked about the stress placed upon players from every team moving from the 60-game pandemic-abbreviated season in 2020 to the full 162-game ledger in '21. Factor that idea into the shoulder soreness/fatigue situation for Rodon, who went from 42 1/3 innings thrown over the past two seasons combined to 132 2/3 innings in his '21 breakout performance.

The White Sox remain optimistic that Rodon will be able to contribute over the course of the next month, per Hahn. Rodon would only throw once against Houston and if the White Sox advance, they will survey the situation at that point.

His strength and comfort, and general level of soreness and fatigue, is something we continue to monitor," Hahn said. "What shouldn't be lost in all of this is that we're sitting here today as [AL Central] division champs thanks in large part to Carlos' contribution over the course of the last six months.

"He, along with our training staff and coaches I think deserve a world of credit for putting him in a position to succeed and demonstrate to the world what he's capable of doing when he's fully healthy. Obviously, down the stretch here, we had to be cognizant of the workload and how Carlos was feeling, and adjusted. But we came up with a program that was able to get him through the final few starts."

Rodon allowed one hit over five scoreless innings in his last start against the Reds on Wednesday. He's set to throw a side session on Tuesday under the watchful eyes of the White Sox front office and coaching staff.

Strength, how he feels, how the ball is getting out of his hand, can he manipulate his pitches," Hahn said of what they will be looking for with Rodon. "Does he feel he's able to potentially go five, six innings, give us X number of pitches in a game?

"It's about taking the time following the previous outing to put us in a position of strength and building off of that. And putting us in position to succeed when his name is called in the next round."

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/rick-hahn-on-white-sox-heading-into-postseason
PackFansXL
Quote:

What shouldn't be lost in all of this is that we're sitting here today as [AL Central] division champs thanks in large part to Carlos' contribution over the course of the last six months.
At least the GM doesn't sound like a CYA tool like La Russa.
Tom OBriens Smile
La Russa said Rodon will start Game 4 should they win Game 3 tonight - hope we get to see him.
Wolfer79
ALDS Game 4 between the White Sox and Astros has been postponed for weather.

The game will be played Tuesday at 2:07 ET. https://t.co/8rLOWjgAx8
Wolfer79
Carlos Rodon will remain the #WhiteSox starting pitcher for Game 4, Tony LaRussa announces
DJncsu13
Hit 99 in the Top of the 1st. Allowed a double to Altuve to start the game, kept him on the bases though.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
89_Grad
DJncsu13 said:

Hit 99 in the Top of the 1st. Allowed a double to Altuve to start the game, kept him on the bases though.
gives up a double with bases loaded and two outs in top of 3rd and is taken out. 2-1 Astros.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
SportManagementEngineer
89_Grad said:

DJncsu13 said:

gives up a double with bases loaded and two outs in top of 3rd and is taken out. 2-1 Astros.
On an 0-2 pitch, brutal.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Wolfer79
Rodon stats today
2.2 innings pitched
14 batters faced
59 pitches, 37 strikes
3 hits, 2 doubles
2 runs, both earned
2 walks
3 strike outs
1 hit batter

left game trailing 2-1
Astros lesd 5-1, middle of 4
JCooke93
FA Time Let's Goooo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.