2024 NC State wrestling (16-2, 5-0)

28,169 Views | 370 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Cthepack
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SportManagementEngineer said:

Also, Idk how you can't love the excitement and passion Roc Harrison brings to these ACCN broadcasts

He is fun to watch/listen to. He manages to do without becoming the story.
SportManagementEngineer
AustinWolf828 said:

SportManagementEngineer said:

Have to go 4-1 over the last 5. Tall task.

How about 5 straight?
Apparently wasn't that tall of a task. Really gutty performances.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
GuerrillaPack
AustinWolf828 said:

I wish I was sitting closer to those VT losers who started a hokies chant in the middle of Trents senior day ceremony but Trent and Kai both gave them a good talking to.
I was one section over from them, closer to the big glass wall. VT vans are not only extremely obnoxious online, but about as obnoxious in person. I work with several VT grads, and while I haven't really gone back and forth with them related to college athletics, they all have a little bit of an arrogance about them related to the way they carry themselves (very undeservedly as well). From recently seeing some of the posts put on official VT athletic accounts, the school cultivates this arrogance and brash attitude.

Thankfully there weren't that many VT fans in the crowd tonight. Overall, it was an outstanding crowd and environment. That's crazy that it took this long in Pop's tenure to finally sell out some duals, and they sell out three this year.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Cthepack
Wrestling is such a great sport. Especially duals where every bout is so close. My first time in Reynolds since the renovations. Fun times!
packgrad
GuerrillaPack said:

AustinWolf828 said:

I wish I was sitting closer to those VT losers who started a hokies chant in the middle of Trents senior day ceremony but Trent and Kai both gave them a good talking to.
I was one section over from them, closer to the big glass wall. VT vans are not only extremely obnoxious online, but about as obnoxious in person. I work with several VT grads, and while I haven't really gone back and forth with them related to college athletics, they all have a little bit of an arrogance about them related to the way they carry themselves (very undeservedly as well). From recently seeing some of the posts put on official VT athletic accounts, the school cultivates this arrogance and brash attitude.

Thankfully there weren't that many VT fans in the crowd tonight. Overall, it was an outstanding crowd and environment. That's crazy that it took this long in Pop's tenure to finally sell out some duals, and they sell out three this year.

We had a group right behind us. They were very obnoxious. Dumbasses crying about stalls obnoxiously and sarcastically.

Kai is the man. Jack looked awesome. Jacob did great. Trent was Trent, stud.

Looking forward to a long day in Chapel Hole in 2 weeks.

Edit to add... crowd was great tonight. Probably the best all season. Which they should be against our biggest rival.
Wolfer79
The NC State wrestling team (16-2, 5-0 ACC) earned the 2024 ACC Regular Season Championship after defeating No. 13 Virginia Tech (9-4, 4-1 ACC) by a 20-12 score Friday night. For his last ever dual in Reynolds Coliseum, redshirt-senior and team captain, Trent Hidlay, tallied his 100th career win.

In front of a sold out Reynolds Coliseum, the ACC powerhouse rivals faced each other in their final dual of the season to determine the regular season conference leader. By the end of the night, NC State lifted the trophy for the sixth time in the last seven years.

Alex Faison, Trent Hidlay, Dylan Reinert, Jarrett Trombley, alongside team manager Callie Nix, all experienced their last ever dual match inside Reynolds as they were honored during the senior ceremony prior to the start of the dual.

Third-ranked Jackson Arrington faced second-ranked Caleb Henson to start the evening in the 149 pound weight class. This bout marked the first time he wrestled someone and lost this season as the only dents on his record came from medical forfeits at Cliff Keen back in Decemeber. His defeat put the Hokies on the board first but Ed Scott leveled out the score right after when he fired a decision of his own.

The Wolfpack would go on to drop the next three bouts, two of which were upsets, and give VT a daunting 12-3 lead. Dylan Fishback, with one of the toughest schedules this season, faced his 11th ranked opponent of the 2023-24 campaign and was handed his first loss to an opponent outside the top-15.

For the finale of his dual wrestling career, Trent Hidlay went out in style just as we all predicted him to do. His technical fall victory, and the only bonus point win of the night for either team, sparked the energy of the Pack, who would not drop another bout for the rest of the night. With his 18-3 win over No. 26 Andy Smith, he got his 100th career win on his senior night, the 65th bonus point win of those 100.

The heavyweight clash carried the flame for the Wolfpack when Owen Trephan won 4-1 and put his team back in striking distance with a 11-12 team score.

Jakob Camacho put the Wolfpack on top for the first time when he upset No. 3 Cooper Flynn with a 5-1 decision.

Kai Orine's gritty 2-1 decision over No. 13 Sam Latona seemed to secure the Wolfpack's title by extending the team score to 17-12. All that was left was for Ryan Jack to not let his opponent win by a major decision or more, which was a simple task for him.

Results
#8 NC State 20, #13 Virginia Tech 12

Attendance: SOLD OUT
149: #2 Caleb Henson (VT) dec. #3 Jackson Arrington (NCSU), 4-1
157: #12 Ed Scott (NCSU) dec. Rafael Hipolito (VT), 12-7
165: #22 Connor Brady (VT) dec. #12 Derek Fields (NCSU), 4-2
174: #2 Mekhi Lewis (VT) dec. #30 Alex Faison (NCSU), 9-2
184: #24 TJ Stewart (VT) dec. #7 Dylan Fishback (NCSU), 7-2
197: #2 Trent Hidlay (NCSU) tech. fall #26 Andy Smith (VT), 18-3
HWT: #15 Owen Trephan (NCSU) dec. Jimmy Mullen (VT), 4-1
125: #14 Jakob Camacho (NCSU) dec. #3 Cooper Flynn (VT), 5-1
133: #4 Kai Orine (NCSU) dec. #13 Sam Latona (VT), 2-1
141: #4 Ryan Jack (NCSU) dec. #15 Tom Crook (VT), 7-3
*Rankings based on InterMat at time of dual

@WolfpackWrestling | @PackWrestle | #PackMentality

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/24/wrestling-claims-2024-acc-regular-season-crown
AustinWolf828
SportManagementEngineer
AustinWolf828 said:

Well deserved. Staff looks brilliant for sending him to the equivalent of JV tournaments a while back. He's looked good since his return to the starting line up.
Wolfer79
ACC Wrestling Championship
Finals, Carmichael Arena, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Finals ACC Network, 7 p.m.
packgrad
My crew is going. Going to be a long day in Chapel Hole.
GuerrillaPack
packgrad said:

My crew is going. Going to be a long day in Chapel Hole.

I'll be there for the finals at 7pm. I'm going to the women's basketball final in Greensboro first.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
82TxPackFan
Ready to rock & roll at the ACC Wrestling Championship!!

Go Pack!!
grandpack1
How did we do in round 1??
packgrad
grandpack1 said:

How did we do in round 1??

Faison won in OT
Dylan tech fall win.
82TxPackFan
Both wrestlers through to the semifinals.

VT piled up around ten points mainly wrestling the Dukies.
SportManagementEngineer
Camacho with the pin in the first round. He's on to the finals.
SportManagementEngineer
Orine with a 9-0 major decision, on to the finals
SportManagementEngineer
Ryan Jack with a major decision over VT, he's on to the finals to face Matthews from Pitt.
SportManagementEngineer
Arrington with a major decision over UNC, he's on to the finals
SportManagementEngineer
Ed Scott majors Bryce Andonian of VT, he's onto the finals.

The Pack looks ****ing strong so far today.
engineercoach
Ed Scott dominant
SportManagementEngineer
Fields upset by the 4 seed in OT. Only two NCAA allocations at 165 so he'll need an at-large bid to make NCAAs
SportManagementEngineer
Faison loses to Lewis of VT. 4 NCAA allocations at that weight so he should be alright.
Packamylase
When do finals begin?
SportManagementEngineer
SportManagementEngineer
FINALS:
125 - Camacho vs. Flynn (VT)
133 - Orine vs. Latona (VT)
141 - Jack vs. Matthews (Pitt)
149 - Arrington vs. Henson (VT)
157 - Scott vs. Santiago (UNC)
184 - Fishback vs. Stewart (VT)
197 - Hidlay vs. Shaw (UNC)
285 - Trephan vs. Catka (VT)
SportManagementEngineer
Packamylase said:

When do finals begin?
3rd place matches at 5, championship finals at 7
Redwolf55
We need to win our two 3rd place matches
SportManagementEngineer
Faison with the pin in the consolation semis, we've now got 9 automatic NCAA qualifiers.
packgrad
Faison pinned in 3rd place match.
82TxPackFan
Fields just won his match!
packgrad
82TxPackFan said:

Big one. Lots of single leg shots with no results. Double leg in OT for the dub. Good stuff.
82TxPackFan
State with 8 in the finals.

Five are against VT!
SportManagementEngineer
packgrad said:

82TxPackFan said:

Big one. Lots of single leg shots with no results. Double leg in OT for the dub. Good stuff.
He should get an at-large bid.
PossumJenkins
Man..if Rock ain't announcing. I'm out. Haha

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.