2024 NC State wrestling (16-2, 5-0)

28,194 Views | 370 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Cthepack
GuerrillaPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to the GoPack article previewing this dual, the all-time series record between NC State and unc in wrestling was tied at 51-51-2 going into tonight, in the rivalry that dates back to 1955.

As much as Hole fans like to crow about leads in all-time series, it's nice to take the lead in another sport.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
FourOaksWolf
Beat down had to happen after **** talking.
CALS Alumni
tau06
The new UNC coach should probably start worrying more about finding wrestlers worth a damn on the mat rather than who is cheering for NCSU. He's in for a long few years of Pop making him look like a middle school coach before he gets replaced. Lot of fun to watch tonight. Well done fellas!
Wolfer79
The NC State wrestling team defeated UNC, 33-6, Friday evening in front of a sold out Reynolds Coliseum. The win marks the 11th-consecutive win over the Tar Heels, dating back to 2013.

The Wolfpack won eight of ten bouts, tallying three wins over ranked opponents.

The rivals started the evening at 157 pounds with #11/6 Ed Scott facing off with Sonny Santiago. The first period was heated for the two and ended with a four-all tie. Scott recorded an early escape in the second period and ended with a 5-4 lead. Santiago tied things five-all in the third, sending the dual into an overtime period. UNC recorded a four-point near fall to end the bout on top, 12-5.

#18/14 Derek Fields and Isaias Estrada went scoreless through the first period in the 165 weight class. Fields began the second period with an escape to take a 1-0 lead. Estrada was given a stalling warning and Fields closed out the period with a three-point takedown to extend his lead to 4-0. After taking charge in the final period, Fields won 10-1 by major decision.

Tyler Eischens of UNC got an escape to start the second period, taking a 4-1 lead. Faison responded with a three-point takedown to tie things up four-all, but ended the period trailing by one. After the two battled through the third, the dual went into an overtime period. UNC took their second win of the evening after Eischens defeated Faision 13-6.

Redshirt-freshman Dylan Fishback came out hot and secured two three-point takedowns to hold a 6-2 lead over #23 Gavin Kane. Fishback took the lead into the third period after an escape and three-point takedown gave him a comfortable 10-2 lead. Fishback ended the dual with a major decision defeat, 14-3, over Kane with 2:20 of riding time.

Trent Hidlay quickly fired numerous shots, resulting in a 7-0 lead over Max Shaw after a four-point near fall and three-point takedown. The redshirt-senior continued to enjoy the spotlight as he carried a 14-1 lead heading into the final period. Hidlay ended things early with a 17-2 technical fall.

#14/15 Owen Trephan wasted no time taking charge. After racking up an 11-2 lead in the first period, he ended the dual with a 20-5 tech fall in the second period. After his bout, the Pack held a 18-6 lead over the Tar Heels.

Jarrett Trombley took on #29 Spencer Moore of UNC and won 2-0 after an escape in the second and third.

#6 Kai Orine went to battle with Jace Palmer in the 133 weight class. A three-point takedown in the first and escape early in the second gave Orine a 4-0. He racked up the points to end the second period with a 20-3 technical win.

Fourth-ranked Ryan Jack entered the third period with a 3-2 lead over fifth-ranked Lachlan McNeil. He finished with a 4-2 win via decision to secure his second win over McNeil this season.

125 | Jarrett Trombley (NCSU) def. #26/29 Spencer Moore (UNC), 2-0
133 | Kai Orine (NCSU) major decision def. Jace Palmer (UNC) 20-3 (3:27)
141 | #4/4 Ryan Jack (NCSU) def. Lachlan McNeil (UNC), 4-2 (0:13)
149 | Jackson Arrington (NCSU)
157 | Sonny Santiago (UNC) def. #11/6 Ed Scott (NCSU) 12-5
165 | #18/14 Derek Fields (NCSU) major decision def. Isaias Estrada (UNC), 10-1
174 | #23/29 Tyler Eischens (UNC) def. #31/27 Alex Fasion (NCSU), 13-6
184 | #13/10 Dylan Fishback (NCSU) major decision def. #21/23 Gavin Kane (UNC), 14-3 (2:20)
197 | #2/4 Trent Hidlay (NCSU) tech fall def. #23/26 Max Shaw (UNC), 17-2 (2:26)
HWT | Owen Trephan (NCSU) tech fall def. Adam Honis (UNC), 20-5 (2:42)

Looking ahead:
The team will remain at home next Friday to host Virginia for military appreciation night.

@WolfpackWrestling | @PackWrestle | #PackMentality

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/2/nc-state-wrestling-takes-care-of-unc-33-6
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Following up on NC State women's basketball's gutsy win over UNC-Chapel Hill the night prior, NC State wrestling made it two straight nights of wins over Carolina blue in Reynolds Coliseum, dismantling the Tar Heels 33-6 for the 11th straight win in the series.

Despite suffering losses in two of the first three matches, the Wolfpack (12-2, 2-0 ACC) won the final seven bouts in dominating fashion and never looked back against the Heels (8-7, 0-2 ACC), who have not won in Reynolds since 2011.

"This speaks to the culture of our program, the way that we train," said No. 4 redshirt senior Trent Hidlay. "Anybody that comes to the UNC-NC State matchup every year gets reminded of the difference between the two programs. We're disciplined. We do things the right way. We wrestle hard, and we expose them when it comes time."

Another sold-out crowd gathered to watch what was a highly anticipated match. The matchup is always anticipated because of the rivalry, but there was a little extra spice to this year's rendition because of comments made by UNC's first-year head coach Rob Koll during the offseason.

"You can feel it, as coaches sitting here, you can't hear anything," said head coach Pat Popolizio. "You can feel the floor shake. … It's one-on-one, and it's a gladiator sport."

In an interview back in September, Koll said that there is a "normal order of things" in which UNC is above NC State and that Popolizio would have to be "brought down a few pegs." Koll also said in another interview that he planned to convert NC State wrestling fans to UNC fans.

So far, it does not appear that either of Koll's wishes have come true.

"Focus on ourselves, everything that we do every day," Popolizio said. "We have blinders on here at NC State. We don't get caught into what goes on with other programs. All we do is show up, put our head down, bust our tail every day, try to get better week-to-week."

Carolina came out swinging and pulled a stunning upset in the opening 157-pound match. No. 5 junior Ed Scott traded takedowns with Sonny Santiago early, before going to overtime. It was there that Scott suffered the unthinkable and lost to unranked Santiago.

After the initial setback, the Pack got on the board thanks to No. 14 redshirt sophomore Derek Fields. In the 165-pound bout, Fields scored a big takedown in the second period and two takedowns in the third period to earn a 10-1 major decision over Isaias Estrada, putting NC State on top 4-3.

The Wolfpack stumbled again in the 174-pound bout, when the Tar Heels yet again pulled one out in overtime. No. 27 fifth-year senior Alex Faison locked into a tight battle with No. 29 Tyler Eischens. A third period reverse briefly gave Faison the lead, but Eischens escaped to force overtime, where he quickly disposed of Faison.
Once again, the Pack responded to the Heels' win with another major decision. In the 184-pound bout, No. 10 redshirt freshman Dylan Fishback scored four total takedowns to earn a 14-3 win over UNC's No. 23 Gavin Kane, and NC State regained the lead 8-6.

The highlight event for Wolfpack fans came in the 197-pound bout. Hidlay put on a show for the home crowd, tossing No. 26 Max Shaw around like a rag doll. Hidlay took a 14-1 lead into the third period, before slamming Shaw to the ground for a 17-2 tech fall, extending the Pack's lead to 13-6.

"I had a feeling that I was gonna get someone that was pretty strong and athletic," Hidlay said. "I just needed to wear him down a little bit. I was able to do that, get the momentum back with us and carry that into the rest of the matches."

In the heavyweight bout, No. 15 redshirt junior Owen Trephan made it back-to-back tech falls for NC State, scoring six takedowns and a near-fall to earn a 20-5 win over UNC's Cade Lautt in the second period. This gave the Pack an 18-6 lead through six bouts.

Once the 125-pound bout came around, it was clear that NC State would win - the only question was by how much. Graduate student Jarrett Trombley earned a narrow 1-0 victory in the bout, refusing to allow his opponent an escape to clinch the bout and extend the lead to 21-6.

The Pack got its third tech fall of the night when No. 6 redshirt junior Kai Orine dominated UNC's Jace Palmer in the 133-pound bout, earning a 20-3 win and giving NC State a 26-6 lead with just two bouts remaining. At this point, the match was all but in hand for the red-and-white.

The 141-pound bout was the only top five matchup of the evening, as No. 4 junior Ryan Jack squared off with No. 5 Lachlan McNeil. A first-period takedown proved decisive, giving Jack the lead for good. However, McNeil came close to stealing the bout when he nearly earned a takedown instead after review there was no takedown. Jack earned the red-and-white's sixth consecutive win of the night.

"Me and [McNeil] wrestled in five matches already, and we wrestled a couple of times in high school," Jack said. "He's very, very good. I know it's gonna be a close match every time we wrestle, so just trying to stay smart the whole time."

To cap off the night, No. 3 sophomore Jackson Arrington handled business in the 149-pound bout, earning the Pack's seventh-straight win of the night with an 8-1 decision.

The win marks the largest margin of victory for either team in the series in at least 25 years. Still, NC State is not where it wants to be yet, but for a team to be unsatisfied after a 26-point win over a rival is frightening for opponents.

"We're still not in peak shape; we know that," Popolizio said. "We've got to get our whole team to be able to attack for seven minutes, and I think we're dangerous when we do that."

Next up, NC State will host Virginia in Reynolds Coliseum once again next Friday, Feb. 9 at 7 p.m.

https://www.technicianonline.com/sports/pack-wrestling-brings-unc-down-a-few-pegs-dominates-heels-for-11th-straight-series-win/article_3c1a25c8-c2a9-11ee-b81d-a3e4ce0e4642.html
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
AustinWolf828

He's also tied for 4th for number of tech falls in Division I.
Wolfer79
Eighth-ranked NC State wrestling (12-2, 2-0 ACC) continues its home stretch when the Wolfpack Hosts the Virginia Cavaliers (7-3, 1-1 ACC) Friday night for the annual Military Appreciation dual. The match is set for a 7 p.m. start at Reynolds Coliseum and will be televised on ACC Network Extra.

Match Info:
Start time is set for 7 p.m. and the dual will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra with commentary from Andrew Sanders and Pete Renda.
The promotion is Military Appreciation Night.
Tickets for the match are available for purchase on GoPack.com here.
Specific information about match day guidelines and Reynolds Coliseum can be found here.
Afterwards, the team will participate in a fan meet and greet in the Grand Hall.

Wolfpack Highlights:
Two members are inside the top-10 of the NCAA in tech fall leaders; each with at least eight tech falls this season, Trent Hidlay (197) is in 6th place and Jackson Arrington (149) is in 9th place
The team holds a ranked wrestler in each weight class
NC State has been ranked within the top-10 the entire season; held the No. 2 spot for five straight weeks
Three athletes have been named ACC Wrestler's of the Week; Jakob Camacho (Nov. 14),
Kai Orine (Dec. 5), and Ed Scott (Dec. 20
Trent Hidlay remains undefeated at 18-0 on the season and 10-0 in dual action, including eight ranked wins
In each of the ACC matchups so far (Pitt and UNC), the Wolfpack have won 16 of the 20 individual matches, only giving up one takedown total

Probable Lineups:
NC State
125 | Jakob Camacho OR Jarrett Trombley
133 | Kai Orine
141 | Ryan Jack OR Tyler Tracy
149 | Jackson Arrington
157 | Ed Scott
165 | Derek Fields OR AJ Kovacs
174 | Alex Faison
184 | Dylan Fishback OR Brock DelSignore
197 | Trent Hidlay
285 | Owen Trephan OR Chase Horne

Virginia
125 | Kyle Montaperto
133 | Marlon Yarbrough OR Keyveon Roller
141 | Jack Geoffre OR Kyren Butler
149 | Michael Geoffre OR Erik Reggie
157 | Dylan Cedeno OR Nick Sanko
165 | Nick Hamilton
174 | Justin McCoy
184 | Hudson Stewart OR Griffin Gammell OR Dylan Newsome
197 | Krystian Kinsey
285 | Ryan Catka

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/8/wrestling-wolfpack-to-host-cavaliers-friday-night-for-the-military-appreciation-dual
packgrad
We will be there. Anybody know much about UVA this year? Will they be favored in any match?

Do we ride with Trombley the rest of the season? He's wrestling really well right now. Hard to believe the drop off Camacho had. I know Pop talked about changing strategy this year in an effort to get people to peak later so I don't mean I've lost any faith or confidence in Camacho.

Ed may rip somebody's head off this week. He must have had a tough cut last week with them wanting him first.
SportManagementEngineer
This is going to be a blood bath.

I hope we roll with Trombley.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Wolfer79
AustinWolf828
packgrad said:

We will be there. Anybody know much about UVA this year? Will they be favored in any match?

Do we ride with Trombley the rest of the season? He's wrestling really well right now. Hard to believe the drop off Camacho had. I know Pop talked about changing strategy this year in an effort to get people to peak later so I don't mean I've lost any faith or confidence in Camacho.

Ed may rip somebody's head off this week. He must have had a tough cut last week with them wanting him first.
Justin McCoy I think has won an ACC Championship recently and is #15. He will be favored over Faison. That's about it. They have a couple of guys ranked in the 30's that I supposed might get an upset but if I had to guess UVA scores no more than 3 team points.

SportManagementEngineer
Oh no, UVa's only good wrestler did the horns down. Let's see if it goes as well for him as it did for UNC last week
SportManagementEngineer
packgrad said:

Ended up being Camacho. Against poor competition, I assume the coaches wanted to get him a confidence boost. Easy tech fall.
AustinWolf828
AustinWolf828 said:

packgrad said:

Justin McCoy I think has won an ACC Championship recently and is #15. He will be favored over Faison. That's about it. They have a couple of guys ranked in the 30's that I supposed might get an upset but if I had to guess UVA scores no more than 3 team points.

Called it

Observations from matside:

Imagine doing wolfdown in a match where your team scores 3 points.

Trent was pissed he didn't get the tech.

Kai's guy was funky and Kai kinda got lucky, he looked stuck.

Camacho and Scott still looked off.

Everyone else looked great.

Ref wasn't calling stalls evenly but oh well.
packgrad
He sure looked good. Loved the aggression.
SportManagementEngineer
Sure, but Trombley would have smoked that kid as well. That decision tells me the coaching staff is going with Camacho at 125 the rest of the way.
Wolfer79
No. 8 NC State wrestling (13-2, 3-0 ACC) won its fourth-straight match on Friday night in commanding fashion, picking up an ACC victory over Virginia (7-4, 1-2 ACC) with a 38-3 decision in Reynolds Coliseum.

The win marked the Wolfpack's tenth straight over the Cavaliers stretching back to 2015, with its 35-point margin of victory the largest during that streak and the most lopsided win for NC State over Virginia since 40-3 win in 1992.

The ten-match streak for the Wolfpack over the Cavaliers now ranks second amongst NC State's winning streaks over ACC foes, with its 11-straight victories over North Carolina.

The Pack led Virginia from wire-to-wire, claiming victories in nine of the evening's ten bouts,
with its biggest point swings coming in the form of a pair of technical falls from Jakob Camacho
at 125 and Jackson Arrington at 149, while Kai Orine picked up his first pin of the 2023-24
campaign and the team's 16 th of the season.

The contest started with a pair of victories from Ed Scott and Derek Fields, with Scott's 9-1
decision and Fields' 11-7 win giving the Wolfpack an early 7-0 lead.

Aside from Fields, Dylan Fishback was the only other NC State wrestler to end the night without a major decision, technical fall, or pin. Fishback took a 5-1 win over Ethan Weatherspoon at 185, which was immediately followed by Trent Hidlay improving to 19-0 on the season with a dominant 18-4 victory over Krystian Kinsey that included five takedowns over three periods of action.

On a night where he was recognized for being commissioned into the military, Owen Trephan took a 12-4 major decision over Ryan Catka to push the Pack's lead to 18-3. Trephan's bout was followed by Camacho's technical fall and a 13-2 major decision from Ryan Jack, while Orine's pin and Ryan Jack's 13-2 major decision added ten more to the Pack's point total.

A pin from Arrington at 149 closed NC State's 13th-straight ACC victory in Reynolds Coliseum, while the Pack's lone loss of the evening came at the hands of last season's 165-pound ACC champion Justin McCoy, with Alex Faison falling in a tightly-contested 174 bout.

NC State returns to action for the third leg of its four-match homestand on Friday, Feb. 16, with the eighth-ranked Wolfpack set to face No. 9 Cornell. The first bout between the Pack and Cornell is slated for a 7 p.m. start with the match streamed on ACC Network Extra.

Results
#8 NC State 38, Virginia 3
Attendance: 2181
157 | Ed Scott major dec. Nick Sanko, 9-1
165 | Derek Fields dec. Nick Hamilton, 11-7
174 | Justin McCoy dec. Alex Faison, 3-0
184 | Dylan Fishback dec. Ethan Weatherspoon, 5-1
197 | Trent Hidlay tech fall Krystian Kinsey, 18-4
285 | Owen Trephan major dec. Ryan Catka, 12-4
125 | Jakob Camacho def. Kyle Montaperto
133 | Kai Orine WBF Marlon Yarbrough, 4:00
141 | Ryan Jack major dec. Jack Gioffre, 13-2
149 | Jackson Arrington tech fall Kyren Butler, 15-0

@WolfpackWrestling | @PackWrestle | #PackMentality

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/9/wrestling-wolfpack-handles-business-with-virginia-38-3
Wolfer79
NC State wrestling continued its homestand with another win, throttling Virginia 38-3 taking all but one bout throughout the night.

For its Military Appreciation Night celebration, NC State honored veterans throughout the night. At the conclusion of the dual meet, No. 15 redshirt junior Owen Trephan was sworn into the US Army, capping a special night.

"I got to dedicate this whole match and everything to all the veterans out there who have served," Trephan said. "To be a part of that and join that family is pretty awesome it's special to be a part of that."

During the dual meet, the Wolfpack (13-2, 3-0 ACC) turned in its best performance in ACC competition. Despite the Cavaliers' (7-4, 1-2 ACC) best efforts, the two sides were miles apart in talent.

"We expect to go out there and win every match, whether it's on paper we're going to win or not," said redshirt junior Kai Orine. "For everybody to come together and have such a lopsided victory is part of an expectation."

The dual meet opened with the 157-pound bout, featuring No. 16 junior Ed Scott and Nick Sanko. While the unranked Wahoo kept it tied through one period, Scott disposed of Sanko with ease in the following two rounds to finish with a 9-1 major. The bout was a strong bounce-back by Scott after suffering an upset loss in his last match against North Carolina.

"Ed wrestles aggressive; he has the experience, and he's at this point where he knows he needs to make little adjustments," said head coach Pat Popolizio. "That's what you saw out of him tonight. I don't worry about Ed Scott at all. I know he's got the experience to show up and beat anyone at any given time in the country."

The Pack earned a decision to extend its lead to seven in the 165-pound match. No. 17 redshirt sophomore Derek Fields leaped out to a seemingly safe 10-1 lead over Nick Hamilton. Out of nowhere, however, the Cavalier furiously fought back and earned six points to close the bout. Nevertheless, Fields held on for an 11-7 win.

Virginia got on the board in the 174-pound bout, which pitted No. 33 fifth-year Alex Faison against No. 15 Justin McCoy. As Virginia's best wrestler, McCoy gave the Cavaliers their best chance to win a bout, making the match critical for Virginia. McCoy pulled out a narrow 3-0 decision over Faison, cutting NC State's lead to 7-3. The four-point difference was the closest Virginia would come to catching NC State the rest of the night.
No. 13 redshirt freshman Dylan Fishback found himself in a challenging 184-pound bout against Ethan Weatherspoon, who typically competes in the 197-pound bout. Neither wrestler could gain an edge early, as Fishback took a 1-0 lead into the final period. A late takedown sealed the deal for Fishback, making the score 10-3.

Virginia's Krystian Kinsey faced a herculean task in the 197-pound bout: wrestling with No. 2 redshirt senior Trent Hidlay. Kinsey held off Hidlay for two minutes, then the floodgates opened and Hidlay poured on takedown after takedown. The Pack's star wrestler eventually won 18-4 in a major decision.

"Guys that just keep putting point ups, wrestle seven minutes hard," Popolizio said. "Trent's been a great leader in showing this is how you win at an elite level."

Before Trephan took the oath of enlistment, he dominated the heavyweight bout. The Summerville, South Carolina native quickly seized the lead with a takedown and never looked back. By the time the whistle sounded to mercifully end the bout, Trephan held a 12-4 lead to secure a major decision.

"Every match I got a little fire under me to just go out and win," Trephan said. "Win every match no matter what the score is, find a way to win every match no matter what the score is, then I can walk away feeling good."
Despite holding a commanding 18-3 lead, the Wolfpack remained hungry for points. Redshirt junior Jakob Camacho jumped out to an early six-point lead in the 125-pound bout. Camacho continued to pile on till he earned a tech fall, ending the bout early and giving NC State five points as a team.

Not to be outdone, Orine earned the red-and-white's first pin of the night, despite being under the weather. After a couple of takedowns, the home crowd was already fired up by Orine, but the pin brought the red-and-white faithful to a loud roar while icing off any hopes of a Virginia comeback.

"For me, pins are a little rare, so they're always nice to come by," Orine said. "... You got to pull something out of your toolbelt, and I pulled the kitchen sink out, and I threw it at him pretty hard."

The final two bouts were easy Wolfpack wins to close the night with a 38-3 final margin. As if Pack fans hadn't had enough fun, No. 4 sophomore Jackson Arrington ended the night with an emphatic 15-0 tech fall, one final blow to the Cavaliers in the lopsided affair.

Next up, NC State will host Cornell in a non-conference clash in Reynolds Coliseum on Friday, Feb. 16. The dual meet is set to start at 7 p.m. and will be available on ACC Network Extra.

https://www.technicianonline.com/sports/nc-state-wrestling-thumps-virginia-38-3-on-military-appreciation-night/article_4369206e-c7d0-11ee-be2d-a3c7fa273ac3.html
AustinWolf828
I was looking at the schedule wondering why we scheduled Duke and Cornell so close together giving us less rest before VT and then I saw that Virginia beat Duke 45-0.
SportManagementEngineer
Yeah we typically wrestle some of our reserves against Duke. And they are worse this year than usual.
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
Home dual against Cornell this Friday (Feb 16) at 7:00pm. Cornell is currently ranked #9 in the nation, per the coaches poll (we are #8), so this is a top 10 face off.

The latest episode of the podcast with Coach Pop, released today:

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Eighth-ranked NC State wrestling (13-2, 3-0) welcomes No. 9 Cornell (10-3) to Reynolds Coliseum for another top-10 Friday night dual. The dual will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra, the first bout is set for a 7 p.m start.

Cornell leads the short series 3-1 over NC State. The last meeting between the two marked the Wolfpack's first victory in the
books when the team won 25-9 in Ithaca.

Pat Popolizio will face two of his former athletes on the mat Friday night. Cornell's associate head coach, Donnie Vinson, was coached by Popolizio at Binghamton and served as an assistant coach at NC State from 2017-2021. The Big Red's assistant coach, Nick Gwiazdowski, won two national championships as a heavyweight for the Wolfpack back in 2014 and 2015 under Popolizio's leadership.

Match Info:
Start time is set for 7 p.m. and the dual will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra.

After the conclusion of the dual, the team will be available for a fan meet and greet in the Grand Hall.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/15/wrestling-closes-non-conference-action-with-top-10-matchup
Redwolf55
Big loss for the Pack, wonder who they look at to replace him.

SportManagementEngineer
Wow. That will be tough to replace. Congrats to Adam.
AustinWolf828
Figured it was coming at some point but still sucks.
packgrad
Dang it. Love that guy. Had to happen eventually though. Congrats to him. Wonder how Pat will fill those shoes...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.