2024 NC State wrestling (16-2, 5-0)

28,172 Views | 370 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Cthepack
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AustinWolf828
125: #16 Camacho (11-4) vs. #20 Ungar (13-5)
133: #5 Orine (11-2) vs #1 Arujaau (10-2)
141: #6 Jack (14-3) vs #15 Cornella (12-7)
149: #5 Arrington (15-2) vs. #16 Fernandez (17-6)
157: #4 Ed Scott (17-4) vs. #1 Shapiro (17-2)
165: #15 Fields (13-2) vs. #4 Ramirez (17-2)
174: #44 Faison (10-8) vs. #99 Baker (12-10)
184: #15 Fishback (14-5) vs. #3 Foca (14-3)
197: #2 Hidlay (19-0) vs. #5 Cardenas (17-3)
285: #11 Trephan (13-5) vs. #15 Fernandes (16-8)

The rankings are from WrestleStat.

Should be a fun duel. I wish I could go but I'll have to watch it back. It would be nice to win one of these marquee non-conference matchups this year. Looks like we will be favored in 6 of the 10 matchups although there are several toss-ups. We likely won't be able to rely on bonus points from Trent so bonus points and winning matchups we are favored in will be big. This should definitely get us ready for NCAA's as Cornell is sitting at 5 top 5 opponents. Would be great for Orine, Scott, Fields, or Fishback to secure a huge upset.

Go Pack!
SportManagementEngineer
Can't give up bonus points like we did to Ohio State and Oklahoma State.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
packgrad
Guy on intermat saying no Vito and Cornella tonight. Hopefully he is wrong. I'd like to see them go.

https://intermatwrestle.com/forums/topic/3768-cornell-nc-state-dual-meet/
SportManagementEngineer
Good win for Camacho. Starting to look a little more like himself.
Packamylase
Go Pack. Hidlay makes it look so easy.
SportManagementEngineer
Would've liked to see Cornell at full strength. We probably still win by 4+ but would've been a strong test
packgrad
Pleased with almost everybody. Ryan was a tough one. Faison was very disappointing.
Wolfer79
In its last non-conference match-up of the season, No. 8 NC State wrestling (14-2, 3-0) topped ninth-ranked Cornell (10-4) on Friday night with a 24-9 score in front of a packed Reynolds Coliseum.

The win marked the Pack's highest ranked victory of the season and handed the Big Red its first loss to an ACC school this season.

The night started out strong with a quick 15-0 team lead through the first four bouts. Jakob Camacho kicked off the night in style when he upset No. 13 Brett Ungar by a 5-1 decision, making it his second highest ranked win of the season.

Kai Orine put on a show as he dominated his opponent with four near falls, landing a shutout technical fall in the second period. Despite being down 2-3 to start his third period, Ryan Jack secured a late three point takedown and two point near fall to finish on top.

Cornell got on the board when they posted three straight wins in the 157, 165, and 174 weight classes. Ed Scott, AJ Kovacs, and Alex Faison each came up short in tightly fought contests to give the Big Red their only points of the night.

Dylan Fishback put the crowd on notice when he upset Chris Foca, making it his second highest ranked win this season.

In one of his final matches inside Reynolds, Trent Hidlay improved to 20-0 with his second win this season over Cornell's seventh-ranked Jacob Cardenas. He previously defeated him to win the Cliff Keen Invitational back in early December.

To close the night off, in an exciting, yet low scoring bout, Owen Trephan defeated No. 17 Lewis Fernandes off of a lone escape point.

NC State will remain home one last time when they welcome No. 13 Virginia Tech to Reynolds on Friday, Feb. 23 for senior night. The first bout between the Wolfpack and Hokies is slated for 7 p.m. with the dual being broadcast on ACC Network.

Results
#8 NC State 24, #9 Cornell 9
Attendance: 3,023
125 | #20/NR Jakob Camacho (NCSU) dec. #16/13 Brett Ungar (CORN), 5-1
133 | #5/4 Kai Orine (NCSU) tech fall Ethan Qureshi (CORN), 15-0
141 | #4/4 Ryan Jack (NCSU) dec. Josh Saunders (CORN), 7-4
149 | #4/3 Jackson Arrington (NCSU) major dec. #28/20 Ethan Fernandez (CORN), 12-2
157 | #7/6 Meyer Shapiro (CORN) dec. #16/12 Ed Scott (NCSU), 7-2
165 | #4/6 Julian Ramirez (CORN) dec. AJ Kovacs (NCSU), 9-4
174 | Benny Baker (CORN) dec. #33/28 Alex Faison (NCSU), 8-4
184 | #13/10 Dylan Fishback (NCSU) dec. #10/7 Chris Foca (CORN), 6-4
197 | #2/2 Trent Hidlay (NCSU) dec. #7/7 Jacob Cardenas (CORN), 8-2
HWT | #12/15 Owen Trephan (NCSU) dec. #17/17 Lewis Fernandes (CORN), 1-0
*Rankings based on FloWrestling/InterMat

@WolfpackWrestling | @PackWrestle | #PackMentality

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/17/wrestling-tallies-top-10-win-over-cornell
AustinWolf828
Wonder if Pop would be interested in bringing Gwizz back to take Hall's vacancy and promote a current assistant to Associate Head Coach.
GuerrillaPack
Jack said he was dealing with a "lower body injury" in his match last night, and so decided to just tire his opponent out first and then score later in the match.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
packgrad
GuerrillaPack said:

Jack said he was dealing with a "lower body injury" in his match last night, and so decided to just tire his opponent out first and then score later in the match.

Thanks for the link. That explains it!
Wolfer79
No. 8 NC State wrestling (14-2, 3-0 ACC) hits the highway to Durham Sunday for matinee match-up at Duke (4-11, 0-3 ACC). The dual is slated for a 2 p.m. start from Cameron Indoor Stadium and will be broadcast on ACC Network.

The Wolfpack is looking to add its ninth consecutive win over the Blue Devils. In just the last 10 meetings, NC State has outscored Duke 332-82.

Pat Popolizio and Duke's head coach, Glen Lanham, are both products of John Smith and the Oklahoma State wrestling program.

Match Info:
Start time is set for 2 p.m. and the dual will be broadcast on the ACC Network with Dean Linke and Dylan Ryan on the call.
Duke will be recognizing their six seniors.
Admission is free.

Wolfpack Highlights:
Two members are inside the top-10 of the NCAA in tech fall leaders; each with at least nine tech falls this season, Trent Hidlay (197 lbs) is in 6th place and Jackson Arrington (149 lbs) is in 9th place
The team holds a ranked wrestler in each weight class, according to InterMat and FloWrestling
NC State has been ranked within the top-10 the entire season; held the No. 2 spot for five straight weeks
Three athletes have been named ACC Wrestlers of the Week; Jakob Camacho (Nov. 14), Kai Orine (Dec. 5), and Ed Scott (Dec. 20
Trent Hidlay remains undefeated at 20-0 on the season and 12-0 in dual action, including nine ranked wins
Jakob Camacho and Dylan Fishback are both coming off of their second highest ranked wins of the season from the Cornell dual

NC State Probable Lineup
125 | Jarrett Trombley
133 | Vince Robinson
141 | Koy Buegens OR Tyler Tracy
149 | Jackson Arrington
157 | Ed Scott
165 | Derek Fields
174 | Alex Faison OR Luke Ahrberg
184 | Brock DelSignore
197 | Trent Hidlay
HWT | Chase Horne

Duke Probable Lineup
125: Logan Agin
133: Raymond Adams
141: Christian Colman
149: Jarred Papcsy
157: Logan Ferrero
165: Gaetano Console
174: David Hussey
184: Conor Becker
197: Kwasi Bonsu
285: Connor Barket

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/17/wrestling-wolfpack-heads-to-duke-for-sunday-matinee
SportManagementEngineer
I get it, we always throw our backups against Duke to give them some run, but maybe I would've let Camacho keep gaining momentum by teching a scrub.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Eighth-ranked NC State wrestling (15-2, 4-0 ACC) trumped its last road contest Sunday afternoon with a 36-9 win over Duke (4-12, 0-4 ACC) in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

The Wolfpack snagged its 10th consecutive win over Duke to extend their series lead to 68-21 and find their 15th win on the season. The red-and-white were victorious in eight of the 10 bouts with wins via one fall, three tech falls, three major decisions, and one decision.

Troy Hohman, Vincent Robinson, Tyler Tracy, Koy Buesgens, Brock DelSignore, and Chase Horne were all featured in the lineup today against the Blue Devils.
A quick 13-0 team advantage was brought up by three bonus wins off the bat from the 125, 133, and 141 bouts.

Duke got on the board when former NC State wrestler, Jarred Papcsy, defeated Koy Buesgens by decision at 149lbs. They wouldn't add any more points until Chase Horne was suddenly pinned in the second period for the heavy weight face off.

Ed Scott snapped back with a pin in the second period of the 157 bout, collecting his second of the season and 17th career overall. The Pack would then go on to secure bonus wins for the next four match-ups.

Looking Ahead:
This Friday, Feb. 23, the ACC Regular Season Championship will be determined when the Pack host No. 13 Virginia Tech for senior night. The dual is set for a 7 p.m. start and will be broadcast on ACC Network.

Results
#8 NC State 36, Duke 9
125 | Troy Hohman (NCSU) tech fall Logan Agin (DUKE), 16-0 4:11
133 | Vincent Robinson (NCSU) major dec. Raymond Adams (Duke), 20-10
141 | Tyler Tracy (NCSU) major dec. Christian Colman (DUKE), 11-0
149 | Jarred Papcsy (DUKE) dec. Koy Buesgens (NCSU), 7-3
157 | #16/12 Ed Scott (NCSU) fall Logan Ferrero (DUKE), 3:32
165 | #16/12 Derek Fields (NCSU) dec. Gaetano Console (DUKE), 11-4
174 | #33/28 Alex Faison (NCSU) tech fall David Hussey (DUKE), 22-5 6:51
184 | Brock DelSignore (NCSU) major dec. Conor Becker (DUKE), 15-4
197 | #2/2 Trent Hidlay (NCSU) tech fall Kwasi Bonsu (DUKE), 18-2 4:46
HWT | Connor Barket (DUKE) fall Chase Horne (NCSU), 3:46
*Rankings based on FloWrestling/InterMat

@WolfpackWrestling | @PackWrestle | #PackMentality

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/18/wrestling-improves-to-4-0-in-conference-campaign
AustinWolf828
GuerrillaPack
Just speculating, but this dual against VT this Friday might sell out...as did the duals against unc and Oklahoma State. I just looked on GoPack, and it's listing the availability for general admission tickets as "Low". Might be best to order now instead of taking the chance at buying tickets at the door.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
AustinWolf828
Yep, I got my tickets on Sunday because I waited until Thursday to get UNC tickets and they were all gone.
GuerrillaPack
AustinWolf828 said:

Yep, I got my tickets on Sunday because I waited until Thursday to get UNC tickets and they were all gone.

I don't know what I was thinking, but I decided I was going to try to buy unc tickets at the door, and then they announced hours before the dual that it was sold out.
GuerrillaPack
VT preview:

AustinWolf828
Preview:

#14 Jakob Camacho vs. #3 Cooper Flynn
  • They've never wrestled against each other but each has some big time wins this year. The difference is Flynn's only losses are to guys ranked in the top 6 and Camacho has lost to guys in the top 25. They have wrestled some common opponents and Camacho has done better against those opponents than Flynn did. Flynn has been on more of a roll recently having not lost since Midlands in December.
  • Prediction: Flynn Minor Decision (State 0 - VT 3)

#4 Kai Orini vs. #13 Sam Latona
  • Orini and Latona went back and forth in three matches last year. Latona got the better of Orini in the Duel and at the NCAA tournament while Orini won the ACC Championship. The three matches have been decided by a total of three points. It's Orini's turn to get the win.
  • Prediction: Orini Minor Decision (State 3 - VT 3)

#4 Ryan Jack vs. #15 Tim Crook
  • Jack beat him twice last year. They both lost to Cole Matthews and otherwise Jack has only lost to Jesse Mendez. Ryan Jack has never lost in Reynolds and I don't see it starting now.
  • Prediction: Jack Minor Decision (State 6 - VT 3)

#3 Jackson Arrington vs. #2 Caleb Henson
  • This one is going to be big. I wouldn't be surprised to see the dual start off at 157 again so this is the finale. The only loss for both of these guys came at Cliff Keen on December 1st. Arrington avenged his loss in the Ohio State dual and Henson lost to the #1 guy who still hasn't lost this year. Arrington did lose to Henson in the dual and the ACC Championships last year so I'd have to say Henson is favored.
  • Prediction: Henson Minor Decision (State 6 - VT 6)

#12 Ed Scott vs. #9 Bryce Andonian/ Rafael Hipolito/Clayton Ulrey
  • Andonian is doubtful to wrestle after getting hurt on January 7th and not wrestling since. Andonian is 4-2 vs Ed Scott but 0 of his last 2 including a major decision loss at Cliff Keen this year. Scott has never wrestled either of the other two wrestlers. Either way Scott should be favored.
    • Projection: Ed Scott Minor Decision (State 9 - VT 6)

#12 Derek Fields vs. #22 Connor Brady
  • Another pair of new faces who haven't wrestled each other before. Fields has been on fire recently having not lost since the Binghamton Dual on November 17th while Brady is barely above .500 on the year. Fields also beat Heller of Pittsburgh who Brady lost to. Looking at common opponents they've had this year the advantage goes to Fields as he looks to continue his hot streak.
  • Prediction: Fields Minor Decision (State 12 - VT 6)

#30 Alex Faison vs. #2 Mekhi Lewis
  • Faison has a shot to have his name remembered in NC State wrestling lore for a long time if he can pull off this upset on his senior night. They went to double overtime in the ACC Championships last year so he has a chance. Lewis isn't a really offensive wrestler so the hope here is that Faison can at least stay off his back and not give up bonus points.
  • Prediction: Lewis Minor Decision (State 12 - VT 9)

#7 Dylan Fishback vs. #24 TJ Stewart
  • There's not a lot to go off of here with Stewart who has only wrestled 7 times this year. These guys are both redshirt freshman and will be seeing each other for the first of many matchups to come. They are both 2-1 in the ACC but Fishback has wrestled in a sold out Reynolds before and is coming off of a ACC Wrestler of the Week award so I'm going to give him the advantage here.
  • Prediction: Fishback Minor Decision (State 15 - VT 9)

#2 Trent Hidlay vs. #26 Andy Smith
  • Senior Night. Trent Hidlay. Is there anything else to say? Hopefully we get to see the air guitar tonight to go along with the raise-the-roof.
  • Prediction: Hidlay Major Decision (State 19 - VT 9)

#15 Owen Trephan vs. #20 Hunter Catka
  • These two aren't unfamiliar foes. Trephan and Catka have wrestled four times over the past two seasons. On the bright side Trephan has won the last three meetings, but has won the last two in sudden victory. Owen tends to bring the energy in Reynolds so I'm going to go with him pulling out a close one.
  • Prediction: Trephan Minor Decision (State 22 - VT 9)

I think this one ends up being closer to the 21-10 win in 2022 than the other close matches we've had in the past. Let's sell it out and be loud as we cheer the guys on to another ACC Championship.

Wolfer79
In a battle to determine the ACC Regular Season Championship, the eighth-ranked Wolfpack (15-2, 4-0 ACC) will face the 13th-ranked Hokies (9-3, 4-0 ACC) in Reynolds Coliseum Friday night.

The known rivalry in ACC wrestling, NC State and Virginia Tech, the red-and-white are looking to avenge their 14-16 loss in Blacksburg last season. Just like the last several years, this season's dual between the two will have high stakes on the line.

Over the past 10 years, the Wolfpack have been outscored by the Hokies by just 16 points. This season, the two foes are each 4-0 in the ACC and boast similar scoring resumes against the rest of the conference. When facing Pitt, UNC, Virginia, and Duke the Pack has a combined score of 138-24 while the Hokies have a combined score of 131-24 against the same opponents.

Both teams find their entire lineups across the board in the rankings on InterMat and FloWrestling. At 149, NC State's No. 3 Jackson Arrington will face Virginia Tech's No. 2 Caleb Henson. At 184, NC State's No. 7 Dylan Fishback will face Virginia Tech's No. 20 TJ Stewart, the two were the ACC Co-Wrestler's of the Week this Tuesday for their top-10 wins last week.

Match Info:
Start time is set for 7 p.m. and the dual will be broadcast on the ACC Network with commentary by Rock Harrison and Shawn Kenney.
Prior to the start of the dual, seniors on the team will be recognized starting at 6:45 p.m.
Tickets for the match are available for purchase here.
Specific information about match day guidelines and Reynolds Coliseum can be found here.
Afterwards, the team will participate in a fan meet and greet in the Grand Hall.

Probable Lineups:
#8 NC State
125 | #14/16 Jakob Camacho OR Jarrett Trombley
133 | #4/5 Kai Orine
141 | #4/4 Ryan Jack OR Koy Buesgens
149 | #3/4 Jackson Arrington
157 | #12/17 Ed Scott
165 | #12/15 Derek Fields OR AJ Kovacs
174 | #30/NR Alex Faison
184 | #7/10 Dylan Fishback OR Brock DelSignore
197 | #2/2 Trent Hidlay
285 | #15/12 Owen Trephan OR Chase Horne
*Rankings are based on InterMat/FloWrestling

#13 Virginia Tech
125 | #3/7 Cooper Flynn
133 | #13/13 Sam Latona
141 | #15/13 Tom Crook
149 | #2/2 Caleb Henson
157 | Clayton Ulrey OR Rafael Hipolito Jr.
165 | #22/19 Connor Brady
174 | #2/2 Mekhi Lewis
184 | Cody Howard OR #24/20 TJ Stewart
197 | #26/26 Andy Smith
HWT | #20/18 Hunter Catka

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/22/wrestling-top-15-battle-to-determine-the-acc-regular-season-championship
AustinWolf828
Sold Out.
Wolfer79
College Wrestling

Virginia Tech at North Carolina State ACC Network, 7 p.m.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
AustinWolf828 said:

Preview:

#14 Jakob Camacho vs. #3 Cooper Flynn
  • They've never wrestled against each other but each has some big time wins this year. The difference is Flynn's only losses are to guys ranked in the top 6 and Camacho has lost to guys in the top 25. They have wrestled some common opponents and Camacho has done better against those opponents than Flynn did. Flynn has been on more of a roll recently having not lost since Midlands in December.
  • Prediction: Flynn Minor Decision (State 0 - VT 3)

#4 Kai Orini vs. #13 Sam Latona
  • Orini and Latona went back and forth in three matches last year. Latona got the better of Orini in the Duel and at the NCAA tournament while Orini won the ACC Championship. The three matches have been decided by a total of three points. It's Orini's turn to get the win.
  • Prediction: Orini Minor Decision (State 3 - VT 3)

#4 Ryan Jack vs. #15 Tim Crook
  • Jack beat him twice last year. They both lost to Cole Matthews and otherwise Jack has only lost to Jesse Mendez. Ryan Jack has never lost in Reynolds and I don't see it starting now.
  • Prediction: Jack Minor Decision (State 6 - VT 3)

#3 Jackson Arrington vs. #2 Caleb Henson
  • This one is going to be big. I wouldn't be surprised to see the dual start off at 157 again so this is the finale. The only loss for both of these guys came at Cliff Keen on December 1st. Arrington avenged his loss in the Ohio State dual and Henson lost to the #1 guy who still hasn't lost this year. Arrington did lose to Henson in the dual and the ACC Championships last year so I'd have to say Henson is favored.
  • Prediction: Henson Minor Decision (State 6 - VT 6)

#12 Ed Scott vs. #9 Bryce Andonian/ Rafael Hipolito/Clayton Ulrey
  • Andonian is doubtful to wrestle after getting hurt on January 7th and not wrestling since. Andonian is 4-2 vs Ed Scott but 0 of his last 2 including a major decision loss at Cliff Keen this year. Scott has never wrestled either of the other two wrestlers. Either way Scott should be favored.
    • Projection: Ed Scott Minor Decision (State 9 - VT 6)

#12 Derek Fields vs. #22 Connor Brady
  • Another pair of new faces who haven't wrestled each other before. Fields has been on fire recently having not lost since the Binghamton Dual on November 17th while Brady is barely above .500 on the year. Fields also beat Heller of Pittsburgh who Brady lost to. Looking at common opponents they've had this year the advantage goes to Fields as he looks to continue his hot streak.
  • Prediction: Fields Minor Decision (State 12 - VT 6)

#30 Alex Faison vs. #2 Mekhi Lewis
  • Faison has a shot to have his name remembered in NC State wrestling lore for a long time if he can pull off this upset on his senior night. They went to double overtime in the ACC Championships last year so he has a chance. Lewis isn't a really offensive wrestler so the hope here is that Faison can at least stay off his back and not give up bonus points.
  • Prediction: Lewis Minor Decision (State 12 - VT 9)

#7 Dylan Fishback vs. #24 TJ Stewart
  • There's not a lot to go off of here with Stewart who has only wrestled 7 times this year. These guys are both redshirt freshman and will be seeing each other for the first of many matchups to come. They are both 2-1 in the ACC but Fishback has wrestled in a sold out Reynolds before and is coming off of a ACC Wrestler of the Week award so I'm going to give him the advantage here.
  • Prediction: Fishback Minor Decision (State 15 - VT 9)

#2 Trent Hidlay vs. #26 Andy Smith
  • Senior Night. Trent Hidlay. Is there anything else to say? Hopefully we get to see the air guitar tonight to go along with the raise-the-roof.
  • Prediction: Hidlay Major Decision (State 19 - VT 9)

#15 Owen Trephan vs. #20 Hunter Catka
  • These two aren't unfamiliar foes. Trephan and Catka have wrestled four times over the past two seasons. On the bright side Trephan has won the last three meetings, but has won the last two in sudden victory. Owen tends to bring the energy in Reynolds so I'm going to go with him pulling out a close one.
  • Prediction: Trephan Minor Decision (State 22 - VT 9)

I think this one ends up being closer to the 21-10 win in 2022 than the other close matches we've had in the past. Let's sell it out and be loud as we cheer the guys on to another ACC Championship.

Good information

Thank you
Wolfer79
packgrad
Good stuff, Austin. Thanks.
GuerrillaPack
https://instagr.am/p/C3sacLhLdIQ
AustinWolf828
Can't give up a takedown with 5 seconds left in the period.
PossumJenkins
Interested we chose to start at 149. Would think with the sell out you'd want a match you had a larger advantage in to make sure to get the crowd going early
AustinWolf828
Man, bonus points would've been huge there but good job by Ed.
SportManagementEngineer
PossumJenkins said:

Interested we chose to start at 149. Would think with the sell out you'd want a match you had a larger advantage in to make sure to get the crowd going early
Or you wanted to get the pressure of that match out of the way.
SportManagementEngineer
Fields pretty uninspiring there. Never looked like he wanted to score. Hard to win that way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.