2024 NC State wrestling (16-2, 5-0)

27,400 Views | 370 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Cthepack
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
Wolfer79 said:

From the article...

Quote:

"I'm going to challenge our fans more than ever now to get behind this program, so we stay where we're at and continue to grow to ultimately compete," Popolizio said. "I know NC State fans are pretty passionate and expect teams to win at an elite level, so we're always up for that challenge."
I think Pat has a point here...while the home crowds for wrestling the past few seasons have been fairly decent, I think they should be better for a program that has been nationally ranked in the top 10 for that entire time, and top 5 most of that time.

I've been trying to keep up with the previews/news for this coming season, but haven't seen Dylan Fishback talked about much, such as not mentioned at all in the article from this tweet. I understand he is projected to wrestle for us this year at 184 lbs, and is ranked #28 in that weight class by Intermat. Seems that many think this ranking is way too low. He was the #1 recruit in the nation at 195 lbs, and redshirted last year. Have to think he should be another top 10 wrestler in his weight class for us this year.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
GuerrillaPack
NC State Head Wrestling Coach Pat Popolizio Pre-Season Media Availability

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
NC State wrestling appears to be at the mountaintop of collegiate wrestling after winning five consecutive ACC team titles. However, this incredible achievement is just a step towards the Pack's goal: a national championship.

"We came here to compete at an elite level," said head coach Pat Popolizio. "The ultimate goal has been to win a [team] national title, and we haven't done that yet."

Popolizio has built one of the nation's strongest wrestling programs in the country, one that consistently competes on a national level. Under Popolizio, the standard is only the best, which has led to an incredible decade of wrestling. Among his many accomplishments, he's coached three individual national champions, six NCAA finalists and 24 All-Americans. However, Popolizio's best work has happened off the mat as he guides his wrestlers to grow as people.

"The overall culture and accountability that [Popolizio] holds with everybody is one of the more thankful things that I've been able to take away as a person," said redshirt junior Kai Orine. "This is a place that promotes you to be a better person, rather than just a better wrestler."

On the mat, expectations remain high entering the 2023-24 season. The Pack returns all 10 starters from last season four ACC champions and three All-Americans. With an experienced team, the red-and-white is already prepared for the season and aren't becoming complacent just because of past successes.

"Our coaching staff remains hungry, and we continue to embrace that with the guys," Popolizio said. "Every guy is trying their hardest to continue to improve and compete at the highest level."

The road to a national championship will not be easy the red-and-white will face marquee opponents in and out of conference throughout its 23-24' season. The highlight of the out-of-conference slate is a trip to Italy, where NC State will take on No. 10 Oklahoma State. In the ACC, the Pack's biggest challenger will be No. 4 Virginia Tech, which visits Reynolds Coliseum on Friday, Feb. 23.

"I'm so excited to go to Italy," Orine said. "Who the heck gets to take a vacation just to go wrestle. That's one hell of an opponent and an opportunity to prove myself."

Leading the Pack this season is redshirt senior Trent Hidlay, who's moving up to the 197 pound weight class. After winning two ACC championships and being named a three-time All-American in the 184 pound class, Hidlay is looking to elevate his game to an even higher level. In a new weight class, Hidlay remains focused on the same goal as always becoming a national champion.

"The reasoning behind my move up is to allow myself to spend more time getting better at wrestling and not have to worry about cutting as much weight," Hidlay said. "I haven't wrestled my best at the NCAA tournament the past three years and I've been lucky to come away with All-American status, but my goal is to be a national champion."

Orine is also set to be one of the Pack's locker room leaders this season. Like Hidlay, Orine was an ACC champion and All-American last year. After multiple seasons with the Pack, Orine has settled into the 133 pound weight class and is set for another impressive campaign.

"Out of all the years that I've been here โ€ฆ it was one of the most exciting, emotional and fun years I've had here," Orine said. "I've been able to go out, compete and really show off my personality, having fun and acting like a psycho sometimes."

One more key wrestler for the Pack is redshirt junior Owen "Big O" Trephan, the Wolfpack's heavyweight starter. The Summerville, South Carolina native provides a unique blend of size and athleticism that makes him one of the Wolfpack's more dangerous wrestlers. After securing an ACC championship last season, Trephan is set to be a weapon for the red-and-white once again.

"He's good enough to compete with the best guys in the country," Popolizio said. "He's a real athletic heavyweight and a smart kid he's got all the tools he needs to accomplish his goals this year."

With this trio of tremendous wrestlers and the rest of NC State's talent, the Wolfpack has a nationally competitive team. Facing a slate of tough opponents this season, the red-and-white will not have an easy road to a championship. However, if any team is prepared to tackle that path, it's the Wolfpack.

https://www.technicianonline.com/sports/wolfpack-wrestling-gunning-for-national-title-ahead-of-23-34-season/article_0f097996-72de-11ee-9eea-c3c851f4d4d2.html
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
OnePackNILChris
POW is READYYYY to take on the #PackMentality!

NC State Wrestling has set the bar high! Our goal is to keep there. GO PACK!

GuerrillaPack
PackofWolvesChris said:

POW is READYYYY to take on the #PackMentality!

NC State Wrestling has set the bar high! Our goal is to keep there. GO PACK!

Chris, I'm new to NIL...is there a way to donate and specify that your donation goes exclusively to wrestling? I was looking over the Pack of Wolves site earlier today, but couldn't find out.
OnePackNILChris
Great Question!

LINK: https://bpsfoundation.net/donations/nc-state-student-athlete-community/

Scroll down to "Contribute to a specific program" and choose NC State.

and then "Which sport would you like to contribute to?" and choose Wrestling.

GO PACK!
GuerrillaPack
Thanks Chris.

From a couple weeks back, but here's the first episode of the PackMentality Pop-Ins Podcast for this season. Brian Reinhardt is back (after leaving for a year), and the podcast now has video.

Packchem91
For those who know, after the way the nationals went last year, what has changed (maybe at other top programs) that puts as 3?

Also, did Trumble's recent success at the worlds signal he has taken a big step up? Or is it not really relative to success in the college format
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
Packchem91 said:

For those who know, after the way the nationals went last year, what has changed (maybe at other top programs) that puts as 3?

Also, did Trumble's recent success at the worlds signal he has taken a big step up? Or is it not really relative to success in the college format
Preface this by saying that I'm by no means a wrestling expert, or have done a deep dive into what other programs are bringing back. But we are bringing most of our top guys back from last season, and perhaps some other programs around the top 10 from last year lost a little bit more. We also bring back Camacho, who was injured last year, so that strengthens our team as a whole.

Pat discussed Trumble's victory at the world's in the most recent Pop-Ins podcast. He said that Trumble has added weight. He was cutting a good bit to be able to wrestle at 197. I can't remember if Pop said this explicitly or not, but it seems he indicated that Trumble may move to heavyweight after he takes this year off for the redshirt.

Here's that podcast:

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
The nationally ranked NC State wrestling team opened the 2023-24 campaign by defeating Presbyterian in a 46-0 decision at the Battle at Fort Liberty Wednesday evening. The win marked the ninth straight season opener the Wolfpack has claimed victory and the meeting with the Scotsman was the first in program history.
125 Pounds
Redshirt-junior Jacob Camacho, ranked 10th nationally, claimed victory after his opponent Dominic Chavez forfeited the match.
133 Pounds
Jacob Cox opened the season with a 17-1 tech fall decision over his opponent Trenton Dominguez, giving the redshirt-freshman his 11th career win.
141 Pounds
Freshman Tyler Tracy made his collegiate debut with a win as he defeated Ryan Luna. Tracy was trailing 0-3 in period one, but came out victorious after claiming the second period with a 6-4 decision.
149 Pounds
Sophomore Jackson Arrington defeated Trenton Donahue in two periods. He took the first period 12-3 before completing period two with a 19-3 tech fall decision.
157 Pounds
Redshirt-freshman Zach Karagias made his collegiate debut in the 157 pound weight class by defeating Eli Holiday with a 3-1 decision.
165 Pounds
Sophomore AJ Kovacas won his 23rd career match after defeating Michael Ramirez 18-1 by a tech fall.
174 Pounds
Senior Alex Faision, ranked 22nd nationally, scored a 18-6 major decision over Reed Douglas with a tech fall in the third period. Faision took the first period with a 6-2 decision before also taking the second period 8-3.
184 Pounds
Redshirt-freshman Dylan Fishback recorded his 16th career win with a 13-2 decision over Caleb Roe, including a pin.
197 Pounds
Junior Christian Knop started his third season in the 197 weight class with a 17-2 major decision tech fall over George Hopkins.
285 Pounds
Redshirt-freshman Chase Horne won his first match of the season with a 2-3 decision over Morvens St. Jean, including two pins.
Looking Ahead:
The Wolfpack will head to the western portion of the state to take on Appalachian State on Friday Nov. 3. The dual will begin at 7pm and is available to watch on App State Sports Youtube.

https://gopack.com/news/2023/11/2/wrestling-pack-claims-first-victory-of-2023-24-campaign-with-win-over-presbyterian
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

from Appalachian State wrestling website, no story yet at Gopack.com

With seven App State wrestlers making either a first career start or first dual start at his current weight, the 26th-ranked Mountaineers opened the 2023-24 season against an opponent that JohnMark Bentley said was potentially the best team he's faced in 15 years as a head coach.

No. 3 NC State won 40-3 on Friday night in front of 1,000 fans in a packed Varsity Gym, with App State's Ethan Oakley claiming a 4-2 decision at 133 pounds against three-time NCAA qualifier Jarrett Trombley.

With N.C. State's roster having a higher-ranked wrestler at all 10 weight classes the Wolfpack has six wrestlers with top-10 national rankings and three returning All-Americans consecutive close matches at 165 and 174 pounds also had fans from both sides on their feet on a night when wrestling began at 149 pounds.

"I think (tonight) kind of showed us where we're at, the things we need to fix and the things we need to work on," Bentley said. "We just never really got going tonight, and there wasn't a lot of positive momentum in our direction, but we had some guys battle hard. I don't want to totally downplay that that's a really, really good team. I'm going to give them credit. They're ranked third, and they may be the second-best team in the country, especially in a dual meet. They just don't have any weaknesses."

The rosters for NC State and App State each have two 133-pound wrestlers with NCAA Championships experience, and Trombley got the nod Friday for NC State instead of fifth-ranked Kai Orine, who had lost in overtime to App State's Sean Carter last year before ending the season as an All-American. Oakley stepped into a starting role following a season-ending injury to Carter last year, went unbeaten in SoCon duals, won a match at the NCAA Championships and opened this season with an impressive result.

Oakley recorded a three-point takedown 40 seconds into Friday's match, took a 4-2 lead on an escape with 1:20 remaining in the third period and fought off an attack from Trombley in the closing seconds.

"I just tried to get whatever points were there," Oakley said. "I train in a lot of those positions and try to stay in the positions I'm comfortable in. It's really good to get a test against a tough opponent. I get excited for every opportunity I can to wrestle the best."

Ranked No. 33 at 165, NC State's AJ Kovacs overcame a first-period takedown from Will Miller and didn't allow an escape after a final-minute takedown to win 5-4 against App State's returning NCAA qualifier. The next match at 174 went to overtime before 22nd-ranked Alex Faison produced a takedown to win 6-3 against App State's Luke Uliano.

Miller is wrestling at 165 after competing at 174 last season, and Uliano has moved to 174 after wrestling at 184 last season. They made their first career dual starts at those weights, as did Cody Bond at 149, and four other Mountaineers made the first dual starts of their careers at any weight: Chad Bellis (125), redshirt freshman Kaden Keiser (141), true freshman Tomas Brooker (184) and redshirt freshman Hunter Adams (197).

Miller delivered a three-point takedown midway through the first period and moved ahead 4-2 with an escape 12 seconds into the third period. Kovacs took a 5-4 lead on a takedown with 48 seconds remaining and stayed on top for the remainder of the match.

After a scoreless first period, Uliano rode out the second period and officially took a 1-0 lead (with two minutes of riding time on his side) as Faison conceded an escape to open the third. Uliano was essentially tied at 3-all by following Faison's takedown with 53 seconds with an escape five seconds later. A scramble late in regulation netted no points, and Faison's takedown 45 seconds into the first overtime period produced a 6-3 victory.

The 2023-24 season is presented by Hungry Howie's and Penn Station

#3 NC State 40, #26 App State 3
149: #7 Jackson Arrington (NCSU) def. #25 Cody Bond (APP), 19-3 tech fall
157: #5 Ed Scott (NCSU) def. #20 Tommy Askey (APP), 13-6 dec.
165: #33 AJ Kovacs (NCSU) def. Will Miller (APP), 5-4 dec.
174: #22 Alex Faison (NCSU) def. Luke Uliano (APP), 6-3 dec. (SV-1)
184: #29 Dylan Fishback (NCSU) def. Tomas Brooker (APP), fall (1:30)
197: #5 Trent Hidlay (NCSU) def. Hunter Adams (APP), 19-4 tech fall
HWT: #8 Owen Trephan (NCSU) def. Jacob Sartorio (APP), fall (2:08)
125: #12 Jakob Camacho (NCSU) def. Chad Bellis (APP), 19-3 tech fall
133: Ethan Oakley (APP) def. Jarrett Trombley (NCSU), 4-2 dec.
141: #9 Ryan Jack (NCSU) def. Kaden Keiser (APP), 20-6 maj. dec.

Attendance: 1,000

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/11/3/oakleys-win-highlights-wrestling-opener-against-no-3-wolfpack.aspx
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
Just added a home dual against Oklahoma State for this season, on January 5, 2024.

The match against them in Italy on Dec 30th has been cancelled.

https://instagr.am/p/CzenAgaO4dU

https://gopack.com/news/2023/11/10/wolfpack-wrestling-and-oklahoma-state-to-compete-in-home-and-home-duals

Quote:

Two of nation's top programs to meet in Reynolds on Jan. 5

NC State and Oklahoma State, two of the most successful programs in college wrestling, will square off in home and home duals in 2024 and 2025. The Cowboys will compete in Raleigh on Jan. 5, 2024, and the Wolfpack will make the trip to Stillwater in 2025.

The teams were originally slated to compete in Italy in December but decided jointly to replace that matchup with the home and home competitions.
Wolfer79
No. 3 NC State Wrestling (2-0) will travel to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania for a full weekend of team and individual wrestling.
On Saturday, November 11, the team will take part in a doubleheader against Bloomsburg at 12 p.m. and then Purdue at 4 p.m. On Sunday, November 12, individual competitors for the Wolfpack will participate in the Journeymen Collegiate Classic beginning at 9 a.m.
Dual Match Info (Saturday 11/11):
Live streams of each event will be available on FloWrestling here.
Probable Lineups:
vs. Bloomsburg at 12 p.m. vs. Purdue at 4 p.m.
125 - Jakob Camacho (TBD) 125 - Jakob Camacho vs. Matt Ramos
133 - Jacob Cox 133 - Kai Orine vs. Dustin Norris
141 - Koy Buesgens 141 - Ryan Jack vs. Greyson Clark
149 - Jackson Arrington 149 - Jackson Arrington vs. Marcos Polanco
157 - Aaron Faison 157 - Ed Scott vs. Joey Blaze
165 - AJ Kovacs 165 - AJ Kovacs vs. Stoney Buell
174 - Derek Fields 174 - Alex Faison vs. Brody Baumann
184 - Dylan Fishback 184 - Dylan Fishback vs. James Rowley
197 - Trent Hidlay 197 - Trent Hidlay vs. Ben Vanadia
285 - Chase Horne 285 - Owen Trephan vs. Tristan Ruhlman
Collegiate Classic Competitors (Sunday 11/12):
125 - Troy Hohman (Pool A), Jackson Baglio (Pool E)
133 - Jacob Cox (Pool A)
141 - Tracy Tyler (Pool C), Koy Buesgens (Pool C)
157 - Aaron Faison (Pool C), Zack Karagias (Pool C)
165 - Luke Ahrberg (Pool A), Derek Fields (Pool A), AJ Kovacs (Pool A)
174 - Alex Faison (Pool A)
184 - Brock DelSignore (Pool B)
197 - Trent Hidlay (Pool A), Christian Knop (Pool B)
285 - Owen Trephan (Pool A), Chase Horne (Pool B)
Rankings Update (Preseason):
Team - #3
Individual
Flo Intermat
125 - #8 Jakob Camacho 125 - #11 Jakob Camacho
133 - #5 Kai Orine 133 - #4 Kai Orine
141 - #10 Ryan Jack 141 - #9 Ryan Jack
149 - #8 Jackson Arrington 149 - #7 Jackson Arrington
157 - #5 Ed Scott 157 - #5 Ed Scott
165 - N/A 165 - #32 AJ Kovacs
174 - #21 Alex Faison 174 - #20 Alex Faison
184 - N/A 184 - #28 Dylan Fishback
197 - #5 Trent Hidlay 197 - #5 Trent Hidlay
HWT - #7 Owen Trephan HWT - #8 Owen Trephan

https://gopack.com/news/2023/11/10/no-3-wrestling-to-participate-in-journeymen-wranglemania-and-collegiate-classic
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

Chase Horne pins his opponent in the 1st period.
NC State - 45
Bloomsburg - 4

Trent Hidlay gets a 21-6 technical fall with 2:51 riding time. Chase Horne up next for the Pack.
NC State - 39
Bloomsburg - 4

Dylan Fishback with the 16-1 major decision to keep things rolling for the Pack, Trent Hidlay up next.
NC State - 34
Bloomsburg - 4

SCORING UPDATE
Camacho TF 19-4
Cox MD 14-2
Buesgens MD 17-6
Arrington TF 16-1
Kovacs MD 10-1
NC State - 29
Bloomsburg - 4
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
No. 3 NC State wrestling (4-0) defeated Bloomsburg 45-4 and No. 25 Purdue 37-3 on the road Saturday afternoon.
The heavily anticipated match for Jakob Camacho certainly did not disappoint for Wolfpack fans. Camacho upset Purdue's No. 3 Matt Ramos to start off the second match of the day. At the conclusion of the first period he was behind 1-3 and was able to force a 4-4 tie headed into the third. In the third period he got an escape to take the lead for the first time and jumped ahead when he secured a takedown with 45 seconds left to win 8-5.
Kai Orine and Dylan Fishback both walked away with major decisions over ranked opponents from Purdue.

The Wolfpack won nine of 10 bouts over the Huskies, including one via a pin, five via technical falls, and two via major decisions.
#3 NC State 45, Bloomsburg 4
125 -
No. 8/11 Jakob Camacho (NCSU) def. Bronson Garber, 19-4, tech. fall
133 - Jacob Cox (NCSU) def. Michael Cassidy, 14-2, major dec.
141 - Koy Buesgens (NCSU) def. Josh Mason, 17-6, major dec.
149 - No. 8/7 Jackson Arrington (NCSU) def. Cade Balestrini, 16-1, tech. fall
157 - William Morrow def. Aaron Faison (NCSU), 13-3, major dec.
165 - No. UR/32 AJ Kovacs (NCSU) def. Macon Myers, 10-1, fall
174 - Derek Fields (NCSU) def. Anthony DeRosa, 19-4, tech. fall
184 - No. UR/28 Dylan Fishback (NCSU) def. Tanner Culver, 16-1, tech. fall
197 - No. 5/5 Trent Hidlay (NCSU) def. Kolby Flank, 21-6, tech. fall
HWT - Chase Horne (NCSU) def. Shane Noonan, fall
*rankings based on FloWrestling/Intermat, UR = unranked
The Wolfpack won nine of 10 bouts over the Boilmakers, including four via technical falls and two via major decisions.

#3 NC State 37, #25 Purdue 3
125 -
No. 8/11 Jakob Camacho (NCSU) def. No. 3/3 Matt Ramos, 8-5, dec.
133 - No. 5/4 Kai Orine (NCSU) def. No. 31/29 Dustin Norris, 14-1, major dec.
141 - No. 10/9 Ryan Jack (NCSU) def. Greyson Clark, 17-2, tech. fall
149 - No. 8/7 Jackson Arrington (NCSU) def. Marcos Polanco, 16-0, tech. fall
157 - Joey Blaze def. No. 5/5 Ed Scott (NCSU), 4-1, dec.
165 - No. UR/32 AJ Kovacs (NCSU) def. Cooper Noehre, 2-0, dec.
174 - No. 21/20 Alex Faison (NCSU) def. Brody Baumann, 4-3, dec.
184 - No. UR/28 Dylan Fishback (NCSU) def. No. UR/33 James Rowley, 13-5, major dec.
197 - No. 5/5 Trent Hidlay (NCSU) def. Ben Vanadia, 17-2, tech. fall
HWT - No. 7/8 Owen Trephan (NCSU) def. Tristan Ruhlman, 19-4, tech. fall
*rankings based on FloWrestling/Intermat, UR = unranked
Looking Ahead:
Tomorrow, Sunday, November 12th, individual competitors from NC State will compete in the Journeymen Collegiate Classic Round Robin tournament.

https://gopack.com/news/2023/11/11/-3-wrestling-adds-two-more-dubs-at-wranglemania
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.