2023 Women's Outdoor Track

12,385 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
College Track & Field
Women's
NCAA Division I Women's Outdoor Track and Field Championships, Mike A. Myers Stadium, University of Texas, Austin, TX
Day 1 (multiple feeds) ESPN+, 1 p.m.
Day 1 ESPNU, 8:30 p.m.
toddl
Staff
TheStorm said:

OK. I have to ask the stupid question again.

Does Katelyn really run both of those on Saturday?

Yup, and she'll win both.
TheStorm
toddl said:

TheStorm said:

Less than 2 hours apart? What, is the 1500 meters just to get her loose for the 5000?

If she wins both running them that close together on the schedule that is going to be absolutely crazy!
toddl
Staff
That's part of the race calculus. She could go out and run a PR in the 1500 and grind everyone into dust, but that'd certainly hurt her 5000 performance. Or she could go for a slow pace in the 1500 and try to win it on the last lap, leaving as much gas in the tank as possible for the 5000. Or maybe a teammate of a 5000 competitor will try a little gamesmanship and attempt to burn her out in the 1500.

Here's a pretty good preview: https://www.letsrun.com/news/2023/06/katelyn-tuohy-the-pursuit-of-history-2023-ncaa-w1500-5k-preview/

Only 1 woman has ever won the 1500-5000 doubles at NCAAs, and that was back when they were on separate days. It's reasonable to be skeptical if she can pull it off.
(and in my uninformed, outsider opinion, I don't like the current schedule. spread both men and women over all 4 days and make it easier to double or triple)

TheStorm
toddl said:

TheStorm said:

LOL. I liked this answer better, but I just can't wrap my head around how something like that is possible within those timeframes... but I definitely want to see it!
jadawson
TheStorm said:

toddl said:

TheStorm said:

LOL. I liked this answer better, but I just can't wrap my head around how something like that is possible within those timeframes... but I definitely want to see it!
The difficulty of the turnaround plus the heat and humidity in Texas right now is the only reason Tuohy not winning both is even a possibility. You see the 10k/5k double pretty much exclusively from distance runners outdoors because you get the day's rest. There's no logistical reason they can't mix genders throughout the day like the Olympics to open up more possibilities for doubles, its really silly.

I think she's stronger relative to her peers in the 5k but thats the only one of the two events that she has a >1% chance of losing in my mind since it is coming 2nd and Parker Valby is likely to push the pace (she's the girl who went out so hard in cross country that Tuohy had to chase down). There are many fast women in the 1500 but Tuohy will win if she just positions herself well for when she wants to make her move.

jadawson
Tuohy gets through to the finals in the 1500 taking 4th in her heat. Didn't love her tactics tonight, think she needs to push from farther out as i dont think she has the best kick in the field. But it was still an easy qualification so cant complain too much.
toddl
Staff
Lot of jostling in the second half. She was pretty annoyed at everything there.
jadawson
toddl said:

Lot of jostling in the second half. She was pretty annoyed at everything there.
definitely agree. The Washington girl O'Sullivan looked like she cut her off a bit with 150 to go when she passed her on the turn.

With Mia Barnett of UCLA out i don't see anyone else in there who will definitely take the lead to make it an honest pace so i'm wondering if Tuohy tries to go wire to wire like she did when she ran her 4:06 at ACC's last year.
Wolfer79
College Track & Field
Men's
NCAA Division I Men's Outdoor Track and Field Championships, Mike A. Myers Stadium, University of Texas, Austin, TX
Announcers: Dwight Stones/Robert Griffin III/Dan O'Brien//John Anderson//Larra Overton
Day 2 (multiple feeds) ESPN+, 3:35 p.m.
Day 2 ESPN2, 9 p.m.
toddl
Staff
Kelsey Chmiel with an 8th place finish in the 10,000. The top 5 broke away with a mile or two to go and she was battling with two other runners for 6-7-8. Faded a bit in the last two laps.
Aly Hays finishes 12th, Mariah Howell finishes 20th.
jadawson
Marlee Starliper's transfer is official. Announced her commitment to Colorado.
toddl
Staff
hm, Starliper and Cook as incoming transfers. Lots of skill coming in for them.
Wish she could have stayed healthy here. Every time she was able to actually race she was great.
jadawson
toddl said:

hm, Starliper and Cook as incoming transfers. Lots of skill coming in for them.
Wish she could have stayed healthy here. Every time she was able to actually race she was great.
Will be interesting to see how flexible Colorado is these days with training. My memory of reading Running with the Buffaloes and what i can recall about Mark Wetmore has him very much in the same school of thoughts on training volume and intensity as Rollie Geiger.

Colorado is returning two all americans and adding another in Cook and Starliper with huge potential. They've made themselves into probably the biggest title threat to State along with New Mexico.
jadawson
Timara Chapman ends day 1 of the Heptathlon in 18th place. 3 events left tomorrow to see if she can climb up into the all-american places.
Wolfer79
The Wolfpack track and field team returned to action on day three of the 2023 NCAA Outdoor Championships with Jamar Davis earning All-American honors. JUMPS Davis turned in a performance of 15.65m in the men's triple jump final to finish 14th and claim Second Team All-American honors. MULTI-EVENTS Timara Chapman completed the first four events of the women's heptathlon, totaling 3375 points on the day. The final three competitions of the event will be held tomorrow afternoon. UP NEXT The Wolfpack returns to action tomorrow, June 10 for the final day of the 2023 NCAA Outdoor Championships. RESULTS MEN'S TRIPLE JUMP (Final) Jamar Davis - 15.65m (51'4.25") (14th) WOMEN'S HEPTATHLON Timara Chapman - 3375 Points 100M Hurdles - 14.03 (15th) High Jump - 1.69m (5'6.50") (12th) Shot Put - 11.92m (39'1.25") (17th) 200M - 24.82 (14th)

https://gopack.com/news/2023/6/9/track-davis-receives-all-american-honors-on-day-three-of-outdoor-championships
Wolfer79
College Track & Field
Women's
NCAA Division I Women's Outdoor Track and Field Championships, Mike A. Myers Stadium, University of Texas, Austin, TX
Announcers: Dwight Stones/Robert Griffin III/Dan O'Brien//John Anderson//Larra Overton

Day 2 (multiple feeds) ESPN+, 5 p.m.
Day 2 ESPN2, 9 p.m.
Nairo
That was a disaster
jadawson
Nairo said:

That was a disaster

I get that the 1500 this year was to prime her speed for the 5k at usa's. But her turnover looked awful compared to the others at the end
jadawson
She came through 4:04 in her mile record in indoors. She isn't close to that level right now. I'm stunned.
toddl
Staff
That was disappointing.
Nairo
It was not a smart strategy at all leading it out and opening at :64 in that kind of heat. She should have moved at 700 to go and thrown down a :65 and closed at :47 or faster.
jadawson
Nairo said:

It was not a smart strategy at all leading it out and opening at :64 in that kind of heat. She should have moved at 700 to go and thrown down a :65 and closed at :47 or faster.

She basically employed the Parker Valby strategy from cross country. She knew the 800 type runners could probably outkick her in a slow race. But 64 was way too aggressive. I thought she would take the lead but come through in 67's for a 2:14 at 800. Not a 2:10-11 like she did
toddl
Staff
DNS sonofabeech
jadawson
toddl said:

DNS sonofabeech

Exhibit A of why Tuohy just needs to go pro (hopefully after 1 more xc season). She's already to the point of not even prioritizing ncaa nationals
DrummerboyWolf
jadawson said:

toddl said:

DNS sonofabeech

Exhibit A of why Tuohy just needs to go pro (hopefully after 1 more xc season). She's already to the point of not even prioritizing ncaa nationals
Come on, do you really believe that? She is a competitor and tries to give her best. Let's come down off of our high horse. She had a bad night. It happens to all athletes in every sport because they are human. Some questioning her strategy are not in her shoes. She was trying to pull off an unbelievable double and it didn't work out. Most of, if not all commenting have never competed at the level she is at, so some of the comments on here are out of line in my opinion.

She has had a great career here at N. C. State and done some pretty much unprecedented things and we are going to judge her on one race that did not go her way? That is totally unfair. A little perspective please.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Nairo
I'm not blaming Tuohy at all. She's a prize horse and we raced her legs to rubber this year. Hopefully she shuts it down and doesn't try to race at USATF. That could be a recipe for disaster with her confidence or even get injured trying to prep for it. She needs rest.
TheStorm
So, I'm taking it that she didn't run in the 5000?
Wolfer79
TheStorm said:

So, I'm taking it that she didn't run in the 5000?
correct
Wolfer79
The Wolfpack track and field team wrapped up competition at the 2023 NCAA Outdoor Championships after four athletes picked up All-American honors. The Pack finished the meet with seven athletes earning All-American status.

MIDDLE-DISTANCE
Junior Katelyn Tuohy finished seventh in the 1500m final with a time of 4:11.40. The First Team All-American honors were the 11th of her career.

MULTI EVENTS
Timara Chapman finished the women's heptathlon with 5546 points and placed 16th to secure Second Team All-American honors, the first of her career.

DISTANCE
Amaris Tyynismaa and Kelsey Chmiel both competed in the 5000m final. Tyynismaa picked up First Team All-American honors, the first of her career, after finishing fourth with a time of 15:44.82. Chmiel earned Second Team All-American honors after finishing 16th with a time of 16:08.97 to pick up her second All-American honor of the meet and 13th of her career.

RESULTS
Women's 1500m Final

Women's Heptathlon

Women's 5000m
jadawson
DrummerboyWolf said:

jadawson said:

toddl said:

DNS sonofabeech

Come on, do you really believe that? She is a competitor and tries to give her best. Let's come down off of our high horse. She had a bad night. It happens to all athletes in every sport because they are human. Some questioning her strategy are not in her shoes. She was trying to pull off an unbelievable double and it didn't work out. Most of, if not all commenting have never competed at the level she is at, so some of the comments on here are out of line in my opinion.

She has had a great career here at N. C. State and done some pretty much unprecedented things and we are going to judge her on one race that did not go her way? That is totally unfair. A little perspective please.
Wait What? I genuinely have no idea how you could have possibly got that from what i said.

Wolfpack91
Good showing at National NCAA Track & Field.

Folks have title expectations for Tuohy in every event she competes in. Nobody should be disappointed in what she has achieved at NC State.

Sounds like after Cross Country season her focus will be US Olympics & competing in 2024 Paris games next summer.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NC State finished in tie for 35th
https://flashresults.ncaa.com/Outdoor/2023/032-2.pdf
DrummerboyWolf
jadawson said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

jadawson said:

toddl said:

DNS sonofabeech

Wait What? I genuinely have no idea how you could have possibly got that from what i said.

Here you go. Your words. She's already to the point of not even prioritizing ncaa nationals
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.