2023 Women's Outdoor Track

12,207 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Wolfer79
jadawson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Even though indoors just ended, the outdoor track season is already starting this weekend (though dont expect many of our athletes to participate this weekend, most will open in 2 weeks when NC State hosts the Raleigh Relays). I also am bored tonight biding my time until the tournament starts.

For indoors i did a breakdown event by event of our athletes but i since we still dont know redshirt/injury situations for many athletes that missed much of indoors i'm going to feed into the guessing game part of this and try guess at events the athletes will run and also give a time goal that i have in mind for them if they do that event. Too many athletes and long term redshirts to do everyone so i'm going to focus on the athletes that have the ability to make some noise at the ACC level at least. Can't wait to be embarrassed at how wrong i am come June. Going to go by groups, so some athletes may be listed under multiple sections if they compete in both.

Throws/Multis

Makala Wright - Will compete in the Hammer Throw. She's improved constantly since arriving on campus. She threw the 6th best Hammer Throw in school history (170' 9")in her freshman outdoor campaign last season which was good enough to help her finish 9th at the ACC outdoor track championships. Considering she improved about 7 feet this indoors season in the Weight Throw from her freshman campaign, I don't think pushing towards 180' is out of the question, but a more realistic goal may be aiming for the 176/177' range and hoping to score at ACC's.

Mahkayla Hart - Will compete in the Hammer Throw and Shotput. She's also been improving consistently since arriving on campus, She finished 21st at ACC's last outdoor season at the Hammer throw, and then improved her PB's in the weight throw by about 5 feet and Shotput by about 3 feet from her freshman indoors campaign. A good goal for her in the Hammer Throw might be shooting for the 160' barrier that would have her flirting with top 10 all time at NC State and a potential top 15 finish at ACC's. In the Shotput an improvement on her big PB from Indoors by even a foot or two would be awesome, so a goal of 47' could be obtainable and set her up for a potential top 15 finish at ACC's if she chose that route.

Sydney Freeman - She hasn't competed in an outdoors season for NC State yet but I would expect her to compete in the Shotput and Discus where she competed in high school. She threw a 43' 5" in the shotput in Indoors, so a goal of 45' could make sense this season. In the Discus she hasn't competed in the event in 2 years so its unclear where her improvement lies, but her HS PB was 107' so given the time gap and improvement elsewhere hopefully somewhere around 120' is obtainable.

Timara Chapman - Will focus on the Heptathlon, but as it isn't offered at many meets prior to ACC's she will compete in other events throughout the season, generally throws and sprints. Last spring she finished 2nd in the ACC in the heptathlon. She was on track for a solid Pentathlon at ACC's again this year before pulling out with injury before the last event. If she is back and healthy she should be competitive again and hope to be in line for another top finish and hopefully a title.

HM: Ta'Honny Exum & Clara Willard. Both redshirted indoors and may end up redshirting again but both have won multiple NC state titles at the high school level at the Shotput and Discus respectively so both could be fairly competitive at least amongst our team once they are ready to go.

Jumps

Jirah Sidberry - Will compete in the Long and Triple Jumps. One of the best jumpers in school history. Finished 5th in the ACC last year at the Triple Jump and 13th at the Long Jump. She set a new LJ PB during indoors with a 20' 8.5" so the 21' barrier would be the logical goal this outdoor season which would have her competitive for a conference title. Her TJ best is 42' 2" which is already competitive at the conference level, but more consistently jumping in the 42' range and maybe pushing as close to 43' as she can would be a good goal. Who knows an ACC title could come out of those goals.

Zahra Bichara - Will compete in the Long Jump. Saw significant improvement from her freshman campaign this past indoors season. She never broke 17' 10" in either season last year in the long jump but she jumped 18' 6" this indoors. A push as close as she can get to 19' would be a great goal and set her up for a potential top 15 finish at ACC outdoors.

Sprints

Mia D'Ambrosio - Tough to say with her as she hasn't raced since 2021 outdoors but she is still listed on the roster. Just assuming she runs she would be the best sprinter on the team outside of maybe Timara Chapman, and would compete in the 100-400. With the long layoff and not having the best of freshman seasons, getting back to her high school PB's would be a big win. She ran 11.89 for 100, 23.54 for 200 and 55.52 for 400 which are all better than her college PB's from her freshman year. Assuming she is still on the team and will race it would be great to see her round back into form.

HM: Akira Rhodes - Similar to D'Ambrosio, biggest thing is unclear if she will run but she is still listed on the roster. Also hasn't raced since 2021, but when she was running she was competitive within the ACC at the 100 hurdles.

Distance

Katelyn Tuohy - No introduction needed. She'll run whatever events she wants in an attempt to win another title or two and help her training for USA's later this summer. I wouldnt be surprised to see her go for a fast 1500 early in the season while she's riding her indoors form because i'd expect her training will be a lot more strength and endurance based with not as much speed work this season as she is preparing for a later peak for USA's. So i wouldnt be surprised if she chases a fast 1500 in a shot at the record then focuses on the 5k and potentially even races a 10k to test her strength. Not much else to say about her at this point so here are the relevant records she'll be chasing this season. 1500 collegiate record is 3:59.90 by Jenny Simpson. Tuohy's current PB is 4:06.49 which was en route to her indoors mile record a few weeks ago. This will be the harder one for her to chase. The 5k collegiate record is 15:07 by Jenny Simpson but Tuohy will be chasing the 15:00 barrier if not faster. I expect she is already in sub 15 shape. For fun the 10k school record is 32:36 if she does decide to do one.

Kelsey Chmiel - I expect she'll focus on the 10k as i think she has an NCAA title of her own finally in her sights but she'll run the 5k as well. She's currently with a 10k PB of 32:45 so less than 10 seconds off the school record and that would have had her 2nd in the 10k at NCAA's last year. She's also proven she's as good if not better than Mercy Chelangat of Alabama (whos the defending 10k champ) over the longer distances over this past year. I think she can be a sub 32:30 or 32:25 runner if its her focus this year, but the goal would be for a title if she focuses on this over the 5k. In the 5k seeing her finally under 15:25 would be cool.

Samantha Bush - She'll run the 1500 and 5k primarily but mix in a few 800's as well. She competed in the 800 and 5k at ACC's last year and finished 10th in the 5k at NCAA's. She boasts a 15:35 5k PB and a 4:13.5 1500 PB, both of which are competitive to score at NCAA's. Sub 15:30 and sub 4:10 are pipe dream goals but she's so proven and so talented i'm not sure why i would limit her ceiling. I'd also love to see her drop another 2:04 800 to prove that speed again as well.

Amaris Tyynismaa - She'll run the 1500/5k. She didn't have her best outdoors season last year as she didn't come that close to her PB's she set in the 2021 season, but those are really good PB's to be fair. 4:09 1500 and 15:33 5k. I think she can shoot for ~4:07 and sub 15:30 but more than times she'll shoot for better finishes at NCAA's. Only 1 all american finish on the track in her career so far isn't befitting of her talent level. she has the ability to push for top 4ish finishes in whichever of the races she chooses to focus on and i think a higher NCAA finish will be her goal.

Sydney Seymour - She'll end up focusing on the 5k, but she has dabbled in both the 1500 and 10k in the past, though the 5k definitely is her distance based on PB's. She comes in with a 15:34 PB and is coming off a 1st all american finish at NCAA Indoors. Sub 15:30 should be the goal and maybe another all american finish.

Allie Hays - I believe she has 1 season of outdoors left before she's out of eligibility and she's still listed on the roster. She'll run the 5k and 10k. She boasts a 15:33 5k PB and 33:15 10k PB as well as a 5th place finish at NCAA outdoors in the 10k in 2022. I'm sure she'd love sub 15:30 and sub 33:00, but id imagine with this being her last season that she'll be looking for a big NCAA finish, maybe another top 5 at 10k.

Grace Hartman - The strides she's made in her first official season of competition for NC State this past winter was great to watch. From a 4:39 mile to a 9:16 3k to a 2:09 800 split on the DMR. For reference (just a reference as you can't really compare improvement between runners as everyone is different) Samantha Bush was running 2:16 for 800 and 4:59 miles her freshman indoor season. I'd love to see her look for a ~4:16/4:17 range 1500 and having no idea what her 5k time is other than a 16:45 unattached race at Joe Piane back in September of last year. I'd say shoot for sub 16:00 on the track this year. Would be a great accomplishment.

Gionna Quarzo - She'll run the 5k/10k and probably focus on the 10k when acc's/regionals comes around hoping to qualify for nationals again in the 10k. she finished 16th at NCAA's last year and has a really solid 33:24 PB in the 10k. She'll probably hope to approach 33:10 this year and try to score at NCAA's. She PB'd this past indoors in the 5k with a 15:51 so a 15:45 goals seems difficult but not impossible.

Savannah Shaw - She made big strides in the 2022 outdoor season to post PB's 1500 and 5k which is what she will focus on again. she ran a 4:16 1500 and 15:33 5k last year before missing a lot of training with her injury last summer and fall. She's qualified for nationals in the 5k once in both Indoors and Outdoors in her career so that will likely be her focus again along with a sub 15:30, but she a 4:16 shows real speed so hopefully she can improve that by 2-3 seconds.

Brooke Rauber - I think she'll run 1500 and 3k steeplechase this spring. She was one of the best 2k steeplechasers in high school and i think would immediately be the best on our team at this event. She also has a 4:24 1500 from highschool which could and should be improved upon. She hasn't run track really yet for nc state (redshirted last year and only competed at 1 event this indoors) but with 1.5 years in the program at this point hopefully she can show off some new fitness level. Her improvement at the end of cross country was really positive. I'd love to see her shoot for low 4:20's in the 1500 and shoot for a sub 10 in the 3k steeplechase.

HM - Marlee Starliper and Nevada Mareno. No idea what their health status is at this point. But both have the potential to qualify for nationals in the 5k and 1500 respectively and have done so in the past. Big thing for them first is to get and stay healthy.

jadawson
NC State opens up the outdoor season this Friday and Saturday at the UCF Black and Gold Invitational. We are sending a contingent of sprints, jumps and throws, the distance athletes will open up next weekend at the NC State hosted Raleigh Relays
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

• The Wolfpack track and field program kicked off the outdoor season at the UCF Black and Gold Invitational with three top-10 finishes and three athletes setting new personal best marks.

THROWS

Nathan Lau debuted in the men's discus throw, turning in a performance of 48.47m to finish ninth.

In the women's javelin throw, Katie Horne made her debut and earned 10th place with a mark of 38.51m. Jakerra Covington also debuted in the event, finishing with a toss of 29.74m.

Mahkayla Hart recorded a personal-best effort of 12.92m in the women's shot put. Sydney Freeman (11.82m), Katie Horne (11.31m), and Jakerra Covington (10.45m) each made their debuts in the event.

JUMPS

Two athletes represented NC State in the women's long jump. Jirah Sidberry finished seventh overall with a leap of 6.07m. Zahra Bichara turned in a performance of 5.80m to claim a new personal best and submit the 10th-best time in NC State history.

On the men's side of the long jump, Jamar Davis claimed a top-five performance, finishing fourth with a mark of 7.52m. William Sistruck also competed for the Pack in the event, claiming 10th with a jump of 7.07m.

SPRINTS

Henry Young recorded a personal best performance in the men's 200m, clocking in at 21.36.

MIDDLE DISTANCE

Caroline Lewis debuted in the women's 1500m, running a time of 4:43.41.

UP NEXT

NC State continues outdoor action at the Black and Gold Invite on Saturday, March 18.

RESULTS

MEN'S DISCUS
WOMEN'S JAVELIN THROW
WOMEN'S SHOT PUT
WOMEN'S LONG JUMP
MEN'S LONG JUMP
WOMEN'S 200m
MEN'S 200m
WOMEN'S 1500m

https://gopack.com/news/2023/3/17/track-pack-opens-outdoor-action-at-black-and-gold-invite-with-three-top-10-finishes.aspx
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

• The Wolfpack track and field program wrapped up action at the Black and Gold invite with seven top-10 finishes.

THROWS
Sydney Freeman debuted in the women's hammer throw with a mark of 46.98m.

JUMPS
Kyzaiah Stone claimed third with a jump of 2.00m in his outdoor debut in the men's high jump.

Representing the Pack on the women's side of the high jump was Jirah Sidberry, who finished ninth with her leap of 12.32m.

Jamar Davis earned his way to the podium in the men's triple jump, turning in a performance of 15.08m to finish second.

SPRINTS
The team of Isaiah Gadson, Cam Murray, Henry Young, and Alex Nunley turned in a time of 41.28 in the men's 4x100m relay to take fifth place.

In the men's 400m, Lance Patterson (49.83) and Nunley (50.31) each made their outdoor debut in the event.

Young clocked in at 10.56 to earn eighth place in the men's 100m. Gadson also competed in the event, debuting with a mark of 10.70 (10.693).

Young, Davis, Nunley, and Patterson competed in the 4x400m relay clocking in at 3:21.44 to take ninth place.

UP NEXT
The Wolfpack continues the outdoor season when it hosts Raleigh Relays March 23-25.

RESULTS
WOMEN'S HAMMER THROW
MEN'S HIGH JUMP
WOMEN'S TRIPLE JUMP
MEN'S TRIPLE JUMP
MEN'S 4x100M RELAY
  • Gadson, Murray, Young, Nunley - 41.28 (5th)
WOMEN'S 400M
MEN'S 400M
WOMEN'S 100M
MEN'S 100M
MEN'S 4x400M RELAY
  • Young, Davis, Nunley, Patterson - 3:21.44 (9th)

https://gopack.com/news/2023/3/18/track-earns-seven-top-10-finishes-on-final-day-of-black-and-gold-invite.aspx
jadawson
https://flashresults.com/2023_Meets/Outdoor/03-23_RaleighRelays/accepted.pdf

entries posted for Raleigh Relays this weekend. I still have to go through and check who is entered in what, but at a quick glance it appears Tuohy will be resting this weekend and not racing. Just wanted to get that out there in case anyone was making plans to come to Raleigh or just go to the meet to try and see her. At a quick glance all of the other top women are entered into events.
jadawson
The Raleigh Relays are staring this thursday and running through saturday. Parts of it will be televised each day on ACCNX.

Like its always mentioned, athletes might not end up running all the events they are registered for, particularly if they are on the same day. Registering just keeps the options open for them or could mean they are pacing.

Here's what the start lists look like for the NC State women. The notable absence is Katelyn Tuohy. Also notable is Hannah Gapes is listed as running officially for NC State and not unattached (like Jimmy Mullarkey on the boys side). If she runs she will be just the 2nd true freshman to race an official season this year for women's distance along with Grace Hartman. Henes must have high hopes for her ability to race her officially with so many other strong options on the team. This will also be the first official race for Amaris Tyynismaa with the pack. Also Marlee Starliper listed in the 5000m.

Thursday:

Womens 10000m:

Kelsey Chmiel (Invitational)
Allie Hays (Invitational)
Gionna Quarzo (Invitational)
Laurel Black (section 2)

Womens Shot Put
Mikieja Covington (flight 1)
Timara Chapman (flight 1)
Sydney Freeman (flight 1)
Mahkayla Hart (flight 2)
Ta'Honny Exum (flight 2) (Unattached)

Womens Javelin:
Mikieja Covington (flight 1)
Katie Horne (flight 1)
Jakerra Covington (flight 1)

Friday

Womens 100m Hurdles (heats not listed yet)
Ally Henson
Timara Chapman

Womens 100m Dash (heats not listed yet)
Ally Henson
Imunique Archie
Zahra Bichara
Alexis Patterson

Womens 400m (heats not listed yet)
Allison Payton

Womens 1500m:
Shannon Sefton (section 3)
Sarah Latour (section 10)
Hannah Gapes (section 10)
Brooke Rauber (section 12)
Sydney Seymour (section 13)
Samantha Bush (section 15)
Amaris Tyynismaa (section 15)
Savannah Shaw (section 15)

Womens 3000m Steeplechase:
Sarah Latour (section 3)

Womens 5000m:
Shannon Sefton (section 5)
Alyssa Hendrix (section 5)
former NC State runner Ryen Frazier (section 7)
Savannah Shaw (section 8)
Mariah Howlett (section 8)
Hannah Gapes (section 8)
Jenna Schulz (section 8)
Sydney Seymour (section 9)
Samantha Bush (section 9)
Marlee Starliper (section 9)
Grace Hartman (section 9)

Womens Discus
Clara Willard (flight 1) (Unattached)
Mahkayla Hart (flight 2)
Makala Wright (flight 3)

Womens Triple Jump
Jirah Sidberry (flight 3)

Womens High Jump
Nahsheeda Facey (flight 1)

Saturday

Womens 800m
Caroline Lewis (section 7)
Brooke Rauber (section 11)

Womens 400m Hurdles (heats not listed yet)
Allison Payton
Timara Chpaman

Womens 200m Dash
Imunique Archie
Ally Henson
Alexis Patterson

Womens Long Jump
Nahsheeda Facey (flight 1)
Zahra Bichara (flight 3)
Jirah Sidberry (flight 4)
Timara Chapman (flight 4)

Womens Hammer Throw
Sydney Freeman (flight 1)
Mahkayla Hart (flight 1)
Makala Wright (flight 2)

jadawson
Also worth pointing out that it looks like they are doing an unofficial visit weekend for some of the distance recruits. Angelina Napoleon (NY) and Kate Putman (NY) are going to be running in the girls 3200m on friday afternoon and Marco Evans (Cary) and Krister Sjoblad (Athens Drive) will be running in the boys 3200m that follows the girls race.
Wolfer79
The NC State track and field program continues the outdoor season as it welcomes teams from across the country to compete in Raleigh Relays March 23-25.

RALEIGH RELAYS MEET INFORMATION
Date: March 23-25
Live Results: Available Here
Live Stream Day 1: Available Here
Live Stream Day 2: Available Here
Live Stream Day 3: Available Here

https://gopack.com/news/2023/3/22/track-wolfpack-set-to-host-raleigh-relays.aspx
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
The NC State track and field program kicked off the Raleigh Relays with a new school record and seven personal best marks.

DISTANCE
On a competitive first day of the Raleigh Relays, NC State runner Allie Hays stole the show, setting a school, meet, and facility record in the women's 10,000m. Hays hovered in the top-5 the entire race, before separating herself from the pack and claiming first with a time of 32:21.13.

Kelsey Chmiel and Gionna Quarzo also competed in the event for the Wolfpack, each earning top-5 finishes. Chmiel took home fourth place with a mark of 32:55.19, while Quarzo finished fifth, clocking in at 33:06.47. Quarzo's time sits as the ninth-best in NC State history.

In the men's 1500m, Gavin Gaynor earned a top-10 finish, clocking in at 3:41.58 to set a new personal best and record the third-best mark in school history. Ian Shanklin also entered his name into the record book, submitting a personal best time of 3:43.08 to take the seventh-best mark in program history.

THROWS
Sydney Freeman earned a new personal best mark in the women's shot put, turning in a throw of 12.74m.

Katie Horne (40.08m), Timara Chapman (38.94m), and Jakerra Covington (37.71m) each recorded personal bests in the women's javelin throw. These are the second, fifth, and seventh best times in NC State history, respectively.

UP NEXT
The Wolfpack will be back in action on day two of Raleigh Relays tomorrow, March 24.

RESULTS

WOMEN'S 10000M Invitational

MEN'S 1500M

MEN'S 5000M
  • Daniel McGoey - 14:16.55 (58th)
  • Jake Toomey - 14:17.35 (64th)
  • John Malach - 14:26.80 (93rd)

WOMEN'S SHOT PUT

WOMEN'S JAVELIN THROW

https://gopack.com/news/2023/3/23/track-school-record-falls-on-first-day-of-raleigh-relays.aspx
toddl
Staff
32:21 would have been the fastest time in the NCAA last season and will definitely be near the top for the duration of this season. Extremely impressive run.

Took down one of the oldest school records we have. Kathy Ormsby in 1986 with 32:36. (now we just need to break the 1981 record in the high jump)
Wolfer79
jadawson
solid performances on the day from the pack women. Notable performances included:

Jirah Sidberry finishing t-1st in the Triple Jump just 1/2 inch off of her PB with a jump of 42' 1.5".

Timara Chapman finished t-11th in the High Jump with a jump of 5' 5.75"

Ally Henson finished 10th in the 100m Hurdles with a time of 13.78s

Amaris Tyynismaa finished 4th in the 1500m with a time of 4:12.02, which is the 4th fastest time in school history

Brooke Rauber also ran a 4:25.50 in the 1500m

Sam Bush took 2nd in the 5000m with a time of 15:39.26, which will certainly be a qualifier for NCAA regionals

Grace Hartman was my pick for best run of the day relative to expectations as she ran a 15:49.65, which is a huge time for a true freshman at the beginning of the outdoors season

Marlee Starliper ran her first race since the Joe Piane Invitational in September of the XC season and ran a competitive 15:56 5000 considering how rusty she is

Also honorable mention for Hannah Gapes, another true freshman running her first competitive race for the Wolfpack, she ran a 16:35 5000

EDIT:

Should also mention that 2 incoming state recruits took part in the girls 3200m run today.

Kate Putman (NY) took 2nd with a time of 10:26.88 and Angelina Napoleon took 8th with a time of 10:39.04
toddl
Staff
jadawson said:

Marlee Starliper ran her first race since the Joe Piane Invitational in September of the XC season and ran a competitive 15:56 5000 considering how rusty she is
She was right on Bush with 800 remaining and then had a pretty rough finish. She finished in 78.8 and 81.6 versus 74.4, 69.2 for Bush and 76.6, 75.7 for Hartman.
jadawson
toddl said:

jadawson said:

She was right on Bush with 800 remaining and then had a pretty rough finish. She finished in 78.8 and 81.6 versus 74.4, 69.2 for Bush and 76.6, 75.7 for Hartman.
Yeah very impressive considering she seems to have been stop and start training weeks since the summer so who knows what her base build is like. Considering her "blow up" seemed like a fitness thing rather than a going out too hard thing, i think she managed to contain it really well.
Wolfer79
The Wolfpack continued action on day two of Raleigh Relays setting five new personal best marks and winning two events.

JUMPS
Jamar Davis snagged a victory in the men's triple jump, submitting a leap of 15.66m to finish in first place.

After a personal best performance of 12.84m in the women's triple jump, Jirah Sidberry claimed second place and turned in the fifth-best mark in school history.

In the men's high jump, Kyzaiah Stone turned in a jump of 2.01m to take third place and set a new personal best effort.

SPRINTS
Cam Murray grabbed first overall place in the men's 100m, winning the event with a time of 10.38. Alex Lang didn't finish far behind his teammate, as the Raleigh native posted his time of 10.58 to earn fourth.

On the women's side of the 100m, Zahra Bichara set a career-mark with a clock-in of 12.44.

Ally Henson recorded a top-10 finish in the women's 100m hurdles, finishing with a time of 13.78 to take 10th place.

In the men's 400m, Lance Patterson earned a new PB mark, registering a time of 49.01.

DISTANCE
Sam Bush clinched second place in women's 5000m, turning in a time of 15:39.26. Shannon Sefton also competed for the NC State, producing a time of 17:01.97 to set a new personal best.

MIDDLE DISTANCE
With a time of 4:12.02, Amaris Tyynismaa secured a fifth place-finish in the women's 1500m.

UP NEXT
The Wolfpack will be back in action tomorrow, March 25 to wrap up the final day of Raleigh Relays.

RESULTS
MEN'S TRIPLE JUMP
WOMEN'S TRIPLE JUMP
MEN'S HIGH JUMP
WOMEN'S HIGH JUMP
MEN'S DISCUS THROW
MEN'S 100M
  • Cam Murray - 10.38 (1st)
  • Alex Lang - 10.58 (4th)
  • Alex Nunley - 10.79 (19th)
  • Henry Young - 10.96 (38th)
  • Kyzaiah Stone - 11.25 (60th)
WOMEN'S 100M
WOMEN 100M HURDLES
MEN'S 400M
WOMEN'S 400M
  • Allison Payton - 59.99 (79th)
WOMEN'S 5000M
WOMEN'S 1500M
https://gopack.com/news/2023/3/24/track-pack-earns-two-victories-on-day-two-of-raleigh-relays.aspx
Nairo
Frazier running 16:22 after all she's endured over the past 6-7 years was the most impressive performance last night. That was a massive step forward for her as she trains while completing her PhD

jadawson said:

solid performances on the day from the pack women. Notable performances included:

Jirah Sidberry finishing t-1st in the Triple Jump just 1/2 inch off of her PB with a jump of 42' 1.5".

Amaris Tyynismaa finished 4th in the 1500m with a time of 4:12.02, which is the 4th fastest time in school history

Sam Bush took 2nd in the 5000m with a time of 15:39.26, which will certainly be a qualifier for NCAA regionals

Grace Hartman was my pick for best run of the day relative to expectations as she ran a 15:49.65, which is a huge time for a true freshman at the beginning of the outdoors season

Also honorable mention for Hannah Gapes, another true freshman running her first competitive race for the Wolfpack, she ran a 16:35 5000

EDIT:

Should also mention that 2 incoming state recruits took part in the girls 3200m run today.

Kate Putman (NY) took 2nd with a time of 10:26.88 and Angelina Napoleon took 8th with a time of 10:39.04

Wolfer79
jadawson said:

EDIT:

thank you
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
The Wolfpack wrapped up action on the final day of Raleigh Relays with six new personal best marks and an event win.

JUMPS
Jirah Sidberry kicked the day off by earning a victory in the women's long jump. The Charlotte native received first place after turning in a personal best jump of 6.23m, which is good for fifth-best in school history. Nahsheeda Facey also hit her PB in the event, jumping 5.41m.

In the men's long jump, Jamar Davis grabbed second place with his effort of 7.44m. William Sistruck also competed in the event, earning a top-10 finish after claiming ninth with his leap of 6.83m.

THROWS
Makala Wright provided an effort of 55.31m in the women's weight throw to set a new personal best and snag the third-best performance in school history. Sydney Freeman joined her teammate in the event, also setting a new PB and taking home the 10th-best toss in the history of the program.

MIDDLE DISTANCE
With a time of 2:13.02, Caroline Lewis took home a new personal best in the women's 800m.

Gavin Gaynor finished in the top-5 in the men's 800m, supplying a personal best effort of 1:49.47 to claim fifth place.

SPRINTS
The grouping of Henry Young, Cam Murray, Alex Nunley, and Ja'Von Douglas received fourth place in the men's 4x100m relay with their time of 40.28.

UP NEXT
The Wolfpack will be back in action at the Duke Invitational April 6 - April 8.

RESULTS
WOMEN'S LONG JUMP
MEN'S LONG JUMP
WOMEN'S HAMMER THROW
WOMEN'S 800M
MEN'S 800M
MEN'S 4x100M RELAY
  • Young, Murray, Nunley, Davis - 40.28 (4th)
WOMEN'S 400M HURDLES
WOMEN'S 200M
MEN'S 200M

https://gopack.com/news/2023/3/25/track-pack-earns-event-victory-on-final-day-of-raleigh-relays.aspx
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
We have a handful of women entered into the 1500 m at the Duke Invitational, which is tentatively scheduled for 6pm this Friday, April 7th (at Duke's track, of course). Don't see any entered in the 5000, and don't see Tuohy entered in any event. This is one of the very few chances to be able to see the Wolfpack women compete in person this spring (for those living in the Raleigh area). Next, and last, good chance is probably the ACC Championships (hosted by NC State this year) in May.

Wolfpack women entered into the 1500: Hannah Gapes, Grace Hartman, Alyssa Hendrix, Shannon Sefton, Brooke Rauber, Marlee Starliper, Amaris Tyynismaa

Entries:
https://flashresults.com/2023_Meets/Outdoor/04-06_DukeInvite/accepted.pdf

Schedule:
https://goduke.com/documents/2023/3/7/2023_Duke_Invitational_-_Schedule_of_Events.pdf

April 5 update: I only see Hendrix and Sefton on the start list for the 1500. Appears all the others I previously mentioned will not run, even though they were entered:

https://flashresults.com/2023_Meets/Outdoor/04-06_DukeInvite/005-1_start.htm
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
The NC State track and field program resumes the outdoor season this week in Durham, NC, competing in the Duke Invitational April 6-April 8.

DUKE INVITE MEET INFORMATION
Date: April 6-8
Live Results: Available Here

LAST TIME OUT
The Pack completed their second event of their outdoor campaign March 23-25, as they hosted Raleigh Relays.

The capital of North Carolina was treated to a record-breaking opening night of competition, as Wolfpack runner Allie Hays smashed a school, meet, and facility mark in the women's 10,000m. She turned in a time of 32:21.13 to claim first place in the event, a performance that earned her USTFCCCA D1 National Female Athlete of the Week and ACC Women's Track Performer of the Week honors.

More event wins came NC State's way, as Jamar Davis leaped 15.66m in the men's triple jump to take home the highest spot on the podium. Cam Murray also grabbed a first-place mark, winning the men's 100m dash with a time of 10.38.

Jirah Sidberry took home the final event victory of the weekend for the Pack, entering her name in the record books as she did it. The reigning ACC Women's Indoor Field MVP proved her skills transfer to the outdoor setting well, snagging first place with a jump of 6.23m in the women's long jump.

#WolfpackTF - @wolfpack_tf_xc

https://gopack.com/news/2023/4/5/track-wolfpack-resumes-outdoor-campaign-at-duke-invite.aspx
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
The NC State track and field program returned to action this afternoon, taking part in two events on day-one of the Duke Invitational.

THROWS
Mahkalyla Hart took home a season-best mark of 50.02m in the women's hammer throw.

In the men's discus throw, Nathan Lau earned a top-15 mark, tossing 47.72m to claim 11th place.

UP NEXT
The Pack kicks off action on the second day of the Duke Invite tomorrow, April 7.

RESULTS
WOMEN'S HAMMER THROW

MEN'S DISCUS THROW

https://gopack.com/news/2023/4/6/track-wolfpack-competes-in-two-events-on-first-day-of-duke-invite.aspx
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
The NC State track and field team continued action on day two of the Duke Invitational, claiming five top-10 marks and a new personal best.

THROWS
Katie Horne recorded a throw of 30.00m to take sixth place in the women's javelin throw. Mikieja Covington placed three spots behind her teammate in the event, tossing 21.76m to snatch ninth.

MIDDLE-DISTANCE
After submitting a personal best-time of 3:51.01 in the men's 1500m, Jake Toomey took home ninth place.

In the women's 1500m invite, Amaris Tyynismaa and Grace Hartman each supplied a top-10 clock-in. Tyynismaa placed sixth with her time of 4:22.56, while Hartman crossed the finish line in seventh after running 4:22.92.

UP NEXT
The Wolfpack will return to action at the Tom Jones Memorial in Gainesville, FL, April 14-15.

RESULTS
WOMEN'S JAVELIN THROW
WOMEN'S 1500M
MEN'S 1500M
WOMEN'S 1500M (Invite)
MEN'S 1500M Invite
MEN'S 800M (Invite)

https://gopack.com/news/2023/4/7/track-pack-takes-home-five-top-10-marks-on-second-day-in-durham.aspx
jadawson
Nc state women picked up their first commitment for the class of '24 with distance star Bethany Michalak from Colorado.

She's one of the most highly rated distance runners in the junior class having already run under 17 minutes to finish 3rd last fall at the Nike team cross championships. In her sophomore track season she ran a 4:44 mile and 10:05 2 mile
jadawson
rumors on Letsrun.com that Marlee Starliper is in the transfer portal. No idea if its true or not as shes competed twice for NC State already this outdoor season and still has NC state in her social media bio's. But if true would obviously be a blow to team depth.
GuerrillaPack
jadawson said:

rumors on Letsrun.com that Marlee Starliper is in the transfer portal. No idea if its true or not as shes competed twice for NC State already this outdoor season and still has NC state in her social media bio's. But if true would obviously be a blow to team depth.

Looks like it may be true. If you look on her Instagram, she has several coaches of other schools who just started following her. Really surprising to me. Wonder what the reason is.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
jadawson
GuerrillaPack said:

jadawson said:

Looks like it may be true. If you look on her Instagram, she has several coaches of other schools who just started following her. Really surprising to me. Wonder what the reason is.
Even if she doesn't put any blame on the NC State coaches for her injuries (which i dont believe she does), she could very easily just associate frustration with her time here in Raleigh and may just want a fresh start somewhere else.
Nairo
As someone who was hurt my entire first two years of college with stress fractures and chronic patellar tendinitis, at some point you have to break the addiction to running and get well (mentally and physically). Marlee wouldn't be the first distance runner to need to step away and refocus her priorities. It sucks but this is a brutal sport, particularly for females who have the added challenge of iron levels and bone density to manage under a high mileage and heavy stress training regimen.

jadawson said:

GuerrillaPack said:

jadawson said:

rumors on Letsrun.com that Marlee Starliper is in the transfer portal. No idea if it's true or not as shes competed twice for NC State already this outdoor season and still has NC state in her social media bio's. But if true would obviously be a blow to team depth.

Even if she doesn't put any blame on the NC State coaches for her injuries (which i dont believe she does), she could very easily just associate frustration with her time here in Raleigh and may just want a fresh start somewhere else.
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.