2022 NC State Women's Cross Country (ACC #1 & National Champs)

25,041 Views | 212 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by GuerrillaPack
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No. 1 NC State women's cross country captured its 28th ACC Championship on Friday, Oct. 28, extending the program's current streak to seven in a row. Four Wolfpack athletes finished in the top 10 to push the team past Notre Dame and take the title.

Junior Katelyn Tuohy finished first in the 6k run at 19:08.9, followed by senior Kelsey Chmiel, who finished second at 19:20.0. Senior Samantha Bush finished fifth for the Pack at 19:45.7 and was followed by sophomore Brooke Rauber in 10th place. Finally, junior Gionna Quarzo finished in 16th, rounding out the team scoring for the Pack.

Chmiel and Tuohy switched finishes from last year's conference championship, when Chmiel took first at 20:02.7 and Tuohy second at 20:09.9. The improvement of more than a minute by Tuohy shows the vast improvement she has made and dominance she possesses in the sport, while Chmiel's improvement allowed the Pack to edge out Notre Dame.

NC State ended with 34 points, most closely contested by Notre Dame's 38. Virginia came in third place with 98 points, considerably far from the top two teams. NC State will likely keep its No. 1 rank in the country after this ACC Championship win and will add on to the dynasty it has developed in the past seven years. The Pack has not dropped its No. 1 rank all season long.

Graduate Nevada Mareno finished 19th and fellow graduate Sydney Seymour finished in 29th. Redshirt senior Mariah Howlett finished 34th, followed by junior Alyssa Hendrix in 65th. Finally, redshirt junior Shannon Sefton finished 80th out of the 128 total runners..

The No. 12 NC State men's squad finished fifth in the 8k race. Graduate student Ian Shanklin led the Pack in sixth place with a time of 23:12.7. Graduate Robinson Snider followed Shanklin in 14th place with a 23:20.1 stamp. Graduate Hannes Burger finished 18th on the day, and junior Ian Harrison finished 32nd with a 23:38.1 mark. To round out the team scoring, junior Brett Gardner finished 49th.

Juniors Jake Toomey, JJ Malach and Travis Koekemoer, and sophomore Matt Bogdan finished in 69th, 80th, 88th, and 98th, respectively.

The men's team finished with 118 points, beating out Virginia by seven and trailing Notre Dame by 92.

Both the NC State men's and women's teams will compete in the NCAA Southeast Regionals on Veterans Day, Nov. 11 in Louisville, Kentucky.

https://www.technicianonline.com/sports/nc-state-women-s-cross-country-captures-seventh-acc-championship-in-a-row/article_d4ff2456-56e8-11ed-b3ac-bfffe78ee833.html
Wolfpack0503
Wolfer79 said:

It's incredible that these two girls dominate the race and look to be barely breathing hard, and then the rest of the runners come in and practically collapse just after the finish line. I know this video only shows them but it was almost comical on TV. That's not a knock on the other 200+ runners either because that is typical post championship race behavior, but it's just a testament to how good Katelyn and Kelsey really are.
GuerrillaPack
I drove to Charlottesville for the race. Beautiful drive coming up highway 29, especially between Lynchburg and Charlottesville. This course will be the site of the 2023 NCAA Championships. So I definitely plan on making the trip for that one too. The course is spectacular, and an excellent venue to see a race in person.

Although we only won narrowly over Notre Dame, that's not really an indication that we were bad in this race. We scored 34 points, which is pretty good for a winning score at ACCs. It's just that Notre Dame is very good. They were ranked #6 in the country coming in, and finished #5 at the NCAAs last fall. Notre Dame may be one of the teams that finishes on the podium (top 4) in a few weeks at nationals.

Sydney Seymour obviously had a bad race. After the race, I saw Coach Henes talking with Seymour a lot. So maybe that's an indication that Seymour was upset, and perhaps Henes was trying to coach her up and give her some assurance that it can be corrected. I'm just speculating, but I think that Seymour may struggle with more hilly courses. And this course had quite a few significant hills.

There is obviously cause for concern with our team heading into NCAAs. A performance like today might have us finishing #2 behind New Mexico. We either need Seymour to have a better showing at Nationals than she did today, a healthy Starliper back, or if neither of those happen then we need two of Rauber, Quarzo, or Mareno to have slightly better performances than they did today (which I think is doable, considering how much upside there is for Rauber and Quarzo). All that said, I think at least one of those 3 things is likely to happen and we could be in good shape for nationals.

Obviously, Katelyn and Kelsey absolutely crushed it and look poised to both be top 5 at NCAAs, and Sam ran well. But the huge unexpected bright spot from this race was the breakout performance from Brooke Rauber, with the 10th place finish. Based on her storied high school career, this was what everyone was hoping for and expecting. Her time of 19:58 was about a minute better than her previous best 6k XC time, including what she ran at Nuttycombe. That's an incredible improvement/breakout, and hopefully can continue at nationals. If so, that would just be "bonus" depth and someone who could be a top 5 scorer of the caliber needed to win the title.

I just watched a recording of the race on TV after getting home. It was so cool to see Katelyn hugging and high-fiving Brooke after she crossed the finish line. Katelyn was so happy for her. And from being there on site, I watched Brooke hug and celebrate with her family right after the race. Brooke and her family were so incredibly happy. It was amazing to watch.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
jadawson
Quote:

Although we only won narrowly over Notre Dame, that's not really an indication that we were bad in this race. We scored 34 points, which is pretty good for a winning score at ACCs. It's just that Notre Dame is very good. They were ranked #6 in the country coming in, and finished #5 at the NCAAs last fall. Notre Dame may be one of the teams that finishes on the podium (top 4) in a few weeks at nationals.
Yep I think this race says more about ND than it does about State. We are still in a holding pattern until we know if we get Starliper back. We are what we are until then.

Quote:

Sydney Seymour obviously had a bad race. After the race, I saw Coach Henes talking with Seymour a lot. So maybe that's an indication that Seymour was upset, and perhaps Henes was trying to coach her up and give her some assurance that it can be corrected. I'm just speculating, but I think that Seymour may struggle with more hilly courses. And this course had quite a few significant hills.
Definitely not her best. Think she should adopt the strategy Bush employed today. Bush was back in the pack a bit for the first 1k and started moving up once the race settled in from that blazing pace the two ND runners took it out in. Seymour was leading the chase pack behind Tuohy and the two ND women. We know the talent level, the worry is that its starting to be a trend for Seymour. Her good performance this year was at the Joe Piane meet which is a relatively flat course (compared to the past 2). The last 2 have been hillier courses and she's struggled with the pace and had bad splits, which is worrying because the nationals course is also quite hilly. Hopefully Henes and her can figure out a strategy that works for her.

Quote:

There is obviously cause for concern with our team heading into NCAAs. A performance like today might have us finishing #2 behind New Mexico. We either need Seymour to have a better showing at Nationals than she did today, a healthy Starliper back, or if neither of those happen then we need two of Rauber, Quarzo, or Mareno to have slightly better performances than they did today (which I think is doable, considering how much upside there is for Rauber and Quarzo). All that said, I think at least one of those 3 things is likely to happen and we could be in good shape for nationals.

Obviously, Katelyn and Kelsey absolutely crushed it and look poised to both be top 5 at NCAAs, and Sam ran well. But the huge unexpected bright spot from this race was the breakout performance from Brooke Rauber, with the 10th place finish. Based on her storied high school career, this was what everyone was hoping for and expecting. Her time of 19:58 was about a minute better than her previous best 6k XC time, including what she ran at Nuttycombe. That's an incredible improvement/breakout, and hopefully can continue at nationals. If so, that would just be "bonus" depth and someone who could be a top 5 scorer of the caliber needed to win the title.
agreed. As toddl and others on the board have said, as well as most of the ITK's in the running scene, if a full strength NC state runs and runs well they are unbeatable. Take away Shaw who im just counting out for the season and its still a likely win. Take away Starliper too and you start having to do the math real quick, especially if another relied upon scorer has a bad race (which can happen at hilly courses in a pressure filled environment). Rauber stepping up was huge today and a great sign for the future of the program if she can step right into a consistent top 5 scoring role next season. Gotta be a load off her shoulders too. She's seen a lot of her HS elite peers transition fairly seemlessly into the ncaa scene while she's struggled at times. This has to be very relieving.
GuerrillaPack
Interview with Tuohy after the race. She mentions that Brooke Rauber's performance was key to the team win, and how some members of the team "didn't have the best day" (presumably Seymour), and that the good thing about their team is their depth, so that someone else can step up to pick up the slack.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
jadawson
jadawson

discussion from some knowledgeable guys on the conference championships. Hyperlinked to the start of the ACC discussion. The rest of the conferences follow if you want to get up to speed on some other teams.
Wolfer79
The NC State women's cross country team edged out Notre Dame to capture the 2022 ACC title.

The Wolfpack (34) finished four points ahead of the Irish (38).

NC State's Katelyn Tuohy and Kelsey Chmiel finished first and second to help the Pack earn a seventh straight ACC cross country title. NC State, the No. 1 team in the country, won its eighth overall title under head coach Laurie Henes.

NC State had four runners in the top 10 and six in the top 20.

Tuophy's time of 19:08.9 in the 6K was a new course record. Chmiel, who won it all last season, came in at 19:20. Samantha Bush was fifth at 19:45.7. Freshman Brooke Rauber (19:58.5) rounded out the Pack runners in the top 10.

Gionna Quarzo (16th), Nevada Mareno (19th) rounded out the top 10 for NC State. Tuohy, Chmiel, Bush, Rauber, Quarzo and Mareno each earned All-ACC honors.

In the men's race, the Wolfpack tallied 118 points for a fifth-place finish. Ian Shanklin placed sixth overall with a time of 23:12.7. Robinson Snider came in 14th with a time of 23:20.1 and Hannes Burger (23:23.7) was 19th. The trio was named to the All-ACC team.

Up next: The Wolfpack will prepare for the NCAA regionals November 11 in Louisville, KY.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/10/28/cross-country-nc-state-wins-seventh-straight-acc-cross-country-title.aspx
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
Katelyn lifting Sydney's spirits after the race. Katelyn cares much more about the team than her individual results. She stated in an interview that she wouldn't care if she finished last in the 5k outdoor at nationals as long as they had won the team title in XC. Her and Kelsey are ultimate teammates who want team success above all.

https://instagr.am/p/CkTNBfVp5D-
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack said:

Interview with Tuohy after the race. She mentions that Brooke Rauber's performance was key to the team win, and how some members of the team "didn't have the best day" (presumably Seymour), and that the good thing about their team is their depth, so that someone else can step up to pick up the slack.

thank yiou
jadawson
I dont have instagram to verify, but on another forum a user posted that Savannah Shaw posted on her instagram that she's done for the season with tendinitis. Real bummer of a season for her after running a 15:33 on the track last spring
GuerrillaPack
jadawson said:

I dont have instagram to verify, but on another forum a user posted that Savannah Shaw posted on her instagram that she's done for the season with tendinitis. Real bummer of a season for her after running a 15:33 on the track last spring
Yeah, it's true. Here's what she posted on her IG story:

TheStorm
How many runners are we down now and how does that affect things going forward this season?
GuerrillaPack
TheStorm said:

How many runners are we down now and how does that affect things going forward this season?
Savannah Shaw is the only runner I'm aware of that is now "officially" injured and out for the cross country season. We also haven't seen Heather Holt all of this year (our 6th runner from last year). So it's likely Holt is injured. And, of course, we don't know the status of Marlee Starliper. The loss of Shaw isn't that significant, because she wasn't likely to be in our top 5. She wasn't in our top 7 last year. The loss of Holt wouldn't be that significant either. The main concern is if we have Starliper or not at Nationals. Having her healthy would make winning much easier. But we can still win even without her.
GuerrillaPack
Here's the entire women's race at the ACC Championships, including post-race interviews with Tuohy and Coach Henes:

jadawson
GuerrillaPack said:

TheStorm said:

Savannah Shaw is the only runner I'm aware of that is now "officially" injured and out for the cross country season. We also haven't seen Heather Holt all of this year (our 6th runner from last year). So it's likely Holt is injured. And, of course, we don't know the status of Marlee Starliper. The loss of Shaw isn't that significant, because she wasn't likely to be in our top 5. She wasn't in our top 7 last year. The loss of Holt wouldn't be that significant either. The main concern is if we have Starliper or not at Nationals. Having her healthy would make winning much easier. But we can still win even without her.
Yeah.

Back in August people were hyping up this team as potentially one of the greatest teams and a title lock. That was because it was thought that we would have unreal depth to go along with Tuohy and Chmiel as front runners. We could have afforded to have multiple girls have bad days at nationals because it was thought we could have 7 around the top 50 or so.

Now there is no Shaw and no Holt so we still have a shot at the title, but our room for error is just way smaller. If Starliper is good to go im still confident, especially with how Bush bounced back from a mediocre run at Nuttycombe to finish 5th at ACC's. If Starliper is not good to go im not very confident we can beat New Mexico. They might have 5 ahead of our 4th and relying on Rauber to run like that again is a question mark, it was a massive PR for her.
Nairo
Go Fund Me to put a sign on I-40 as these outstanding women deserve: https://gofund.me/6cadca3a
jadawson
latest polls are out. NC State Women sit at #1 in the nation and in the region heading into the penultimate race of the season.

For the first time all season, another team has received first place votes, and it wasn't even New Mexico. Oklahoma St received 3 votes to NC States 8. The poll was tight, NC State in 1st with 327 points and 8 fpv, New Mexico in 2nd with 316 points, and Oklahoma St in 3rd with 310 points and 3 fpv.

Shaping up to be an incredible national meet.
toddl
Staff
OSU had a really impressive conference meet. Super freshman Natalie Cook (broke a couple of Tuohy's records in HS) beat Taylor Roe (NCAA indoor 3k champion last winter) earlier in the year to shock everyone. And then at conference finals, another freshman dropped an insane performance to beat Cook, and Roe regained her spot at the top. That top 3 could be incredibly good.
jadawson
toddl said:

OSU had a really impressive conference meet. Super freshman Natalie Cook (broke a couple of Tuohy's records in HS) beat Taylor Roe (NCAA indoor 3k champion last winter) earlier in the year to shock everyone. And then at conference finals, another freshman dropped an insane performance to beat Cook, and Roe regained her spot at the top. That top 3 could be incredibly good.
yeah dont get me wrong, OSU is a clear top 3 team in my mind. Their front 3 should all be top 10-15 at nationals.

I just figured if anyone was going to steal 1st place votes from us it would be New Mexico. New Mexico has tied us and just dominated their conference while resting one of their usual top 3 runners (was their #1 at Nuttycombe). And the Big 12 women are pretty poor this year at xc outside of OSU and a 29th ranked West Virginia, so i thought New Mexico scoring 24 against a 20th ranked Colorado state and 4 other teams receiving votes in the poll would be more impressive than OSU scoring 22 against 29th WVU and no one else even receiving votes.

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
jadawson
NC State women come to the defense of their teammate Sydney Seymour after Flotrack podcast host stated that the team title would come down to her and her alone.

jadawson
Krissy Gear at the bottom is a former runner for Arkansas who held on to beat NC State and Tuohy in the last leg in the DMR at Penn Relays last spring. Was an incredible race, cool to see her step up for people that aren't her teammates
toddl
Staff
jadawson said:

Krissy Gear at the bottom is a former runner for Arkansas who held on to beat NC State and Tuohy in the last leg in the DMR at Penn Relays last spring. Was an incredible race, cool to see her step up for people that aren't her teammates

I enjoyed that 4x15 at Penn last year. Lot of respect between the two teams.
jadawson
toddl said:

jadawson said:

I enjoyed that 4x15 at Penn last year. Lot of respect between the two teams.
4x15 makes a lot more sense for the times. not sure why my memory told me it was a DMR lol
Wolfer79
The NC State cross country programs will participate in the 2022 NCAA Regionals on Friday, Nov. 11.

The meet will take place at E.P. Tom Sawyer Park in Louisville, KY. The top two teams and the first four finishers in the race not associated with those two teams will advance to the NCAA Championships, held Nov. 19 in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

The women's team will be going for a sixth-straight regional title.

MEET INFORMATION | LIVE RESULTS

NCAA SOUTHEAST REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS MEET SCHEDULE
11 a.m. - Women's 6K
12 p.m. - Men's 10K

PACK IN THE POLLS

The NC State women's team spent the entire regular season ranked No. 1 in the USTFCCCA Coaches Poll.

The Wolfpack men were ranked 15th in the final USTFCCCA Coaches Poll and were the No. 3 team in the Southeast Region.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/11/10/cross-country-nc-state-cross-country-teams-head-to-ncaa-regionals.aspx
Wolfer79
Wolfpack0503
Rainy wet conditions in Louisville today. So much so that they posted on the link to meet information that they are monitoring the weather, but it looks like the meet will go on.

Hoping that we take care of business and stay healthy. I don't expect great performances by any team which is a shame because this is the NCAAs. That's the nature of outdoor running.
jadawson
The women cruise through the regional meet, taking 1st place with 25 points. Tuohy, Chmiel and Bush go 1-2-3, Seymour gets back on track with a great 7th place finish and Nevada Mareno is the 5th runner in 12th place.

Promising to see Seymour bounce back so well. No Starliper again so going to have to assume she is done for the year.
Wolfpack0503
Took care of business winning the regional. Finished 1,2,3 (Tuohy, Chmiel, Bush), then Seymour at 7, Mareno at 12 for a total of 25. UNC was second with 75.

And for good measure our 6th Rauber was 14th, and Quarzo was 20th. A great performance for the Pack!
toddl
Staff
Huge performance from Seymour. That's what we need from her at Nationals.
DrummerboyWolf
Another great performance by the Women's Cross Country team. Now go bring home that 2nd consecutive National Championship!! Well done ladies!! Congrats to Coach Henes and the staff!!

GO PACK!!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.