Men's golf this spring??

10,875 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wolfer79
82TxPackFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Team is on a great run over the last 3 tournaments.

Heck of a run by Shipp as well.
grandpack1
My bad. So excited about our win. I did not realize that Missouri leaped over Auburn at end also. Great tourney for them
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
.@PackMensGolf finished 1st at the Hootie Intercollegiate with a team score of 18-under-par.

Shipp (-11) took home the individual title for the 2nd tournament in a row and Steinlechner finished in the top-5 for the 4th straight tournament.
https://t.co/lZmFNNULcH
Wolfer79
grandpack1
To tell you how strong our team performance was, if you took Shipp totally off this team this weekend and just used the scores of out other four golfers. Now if you did that, we would have had to count every score of every player whereas all the other teams would be counting their best four out of five. but if you counted just the other four players on our teams scores for our team score each day, we would have finished -1 under. That would have tied for forth with Duke out of 16 teams. That is how strong our team is playing right now
Wolfer79
Packchem91
grandpack1 said:

To tell you how strong our team performance was, if you took Shipp totally off this team this weekend and just used the scores of out other four golfers. Now if you did that, we would have had to count every score of every player whereas all the other teams would be counting their best four out of five. but if you counted just the other four players on our teams scores for our team score each day, we would have finished -1 under. That would have tied for forth with Duke out of 16 teams. That is how strong our team is playing right now
Yeah, thats a great observation. Our 4th and 5th guys have been playing really well. During this run, feels like each round, at least 4 guys have been really good.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
grandpack1
One thing to keep in mind. Our 5 guys that actually play in matches were 3 wins 1 loss and 1 tie. Just wanted to point out
Packchem91
grandpack1 said:

One thing to keep in mind. Our 5 guys that actually play in matches were 3 wins 1 loss and 1 tie. Just wanted to point out
Great call out....its one match, so difficult to make big conclusions, but it seems they have better depth down the roster, but our starting lineup is stout.

And Shipp has just been outstanding - Peter Fountain has been really good all season, and Ben had 5 birdies in just 15 holes to whip him.
grandpack1
Depth only matters in top 5 Doesn't make any difference how good your 8 th and 9th guys are. Just like it doesn't matter how good your walk ons are in basketball
89_Grad
grandpack, we have a shot at ACC Champiionship this year? How good are Wake, Clemson,and GaT this year?
grandpack1
I think we have a real good shot to make some noise in post season. But we have to play really well but have the ability. Obviously. But I would not make us the favorite. But we are definitely one of the three or four teams that should be considered to be front runners.
grandpack1
Florida State is actually the cream of the crop in the conference. They may have the best talent in the country. Wake is always good. Arnold Palmer started their tradiition by funding all their golf scholarships at a time that no other teams other than Houston and Texas gave scholarships. Clemson is playing well but do not really know anything about them. I know absolutely nothing about Ga Tech. I believe UNC may be ranked but I have absolutely no idea why. They really have not shown me much at all. Their top two guys are pretty good but frankly, they look like State teams of the past.
grandpack1
By the way, you will never see me give UNC credit where credit is due. And frankly, I think that should be our mission as State fans.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
The NC State men's golf team opens play Friday morning at the 54-hole Stitch Intercollegiate held at MacGregor Downs.

Tournament Information
Course: MacGregor Downs Country Club
Host: NC State
Par: 72
Yardage: 6,973
Format: 54 holes (36 holes Friday/18 holes Saturday)

NC State Lineup
1. Benjamin Shipp
2. Max Steinlechner
3. Easton Paxton
4. Christian Salzer
5. Carter Graf
Ind. Ethan Choi
Ind. Thomas Deal
Ind. Nick Mathews
Ind. Drue Nicholas
Ind. Spencer Oxendine

Teams (# = Golfstat Rankings)
#9 NC State
#26 Notre Dame
#40 Duke
#55 ETSU
#76 Campbell
#85 College of Charleston
#86 Coastal Carolina
#89 Denver
Davidson
East Carolina
Elon
Virginia Tech

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
The NC State men's golf team shot an opening round score of 20-under par to grab the first round lead at the Stitch Intercollegiate held at MacGregor Downs.

Originally, the teams were expected to play two rounds of 18 holes on Friday, but two lightening delays caused the postponement of the second round to Saturday morning.

The teams will resume the second round with a shotgun start at 8:30 a.m. and the teams will immediately start the third and final round after their second round is over.

After one round, NC State had a seven-shot lead over Notre Dame and Virginia Tech with ETSU in fourth place, 10 shots back of the Pack.

The Fighting Irish had cut NC State's advantage to just one shot in the second round when play was halted.

Christian Salzer led the Pack through one round with a seven-under par 65. He was tied for first place after one round as the Sumter, S.C. native had eight birdies in the opening round.

Easton Paxton was alone in third place, one shot back of Salzer, after one round. The Riverton, Wyo., completed the back nine in 30 strokes to move up the leaderboard.

Benjamin Shipp was in a tie for fourth place, one shot back of Paxton, after one round. Shipp is hunting for his third consecutive individual title after winning his last two events.

Maximilian Steinlechner shot a two-under par 70 in the first round and is in a tie for 16th place.

Carter Graf rounded out the NC State lineup in a tie for 41st place at one-over par.

Playing as individuals, Ethan Choi shot a two-under par 70, the best round of his young NC State career.

Nick Mathews shot a two-over par 74, Thomas Deal shot a 78 and Spencer Oxendine shot an opening round 80.

NC State Team Lineup
T1. Christian Salzer 65
3. Easton Paxton 66
T4. Benjamin Shipp 67
T16. Maximilian Steinlechner 70
T41. Carter Graf 73

NC State Individuals
T16. Ethan Choi 70
T45. Nick Mathews 74
64. Thomas Deal 78
T66. Spencer Oxendine 80

Team Standings
1. NC State 268
T2. Notre Dame 275
T2. Virginia Tech 275
4. ETSU 278
5. Campbell 282
6. Duke 283
7. Coastal Carolina 286
8. College of Charleston 287
T9. Denver 289
T9. East Carolina 289
T11. Elon 291
T11. Davidson 291

grandpack1
By the way. Whoever is doing the scorekeeping for this tournament is doing a really horrible job. I have followed tournaments on this site for years and it is great but this is really bad work. Worst I have ever seen. I am certain that the site turns it over to local scorers to put in the scores but this is truely the worst ever.
grandpack1
Notre Dame is on fire this morning. Leads us only by 1 though so still in good shape but they need to cool off.
grandpack1
Well. We have now gotten hot also and back in the lead. We have one of our guys tied for second. Two of our guys tied for fourth and one of our guys tied for sixth. Bet that has never happened at State before.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Technician

.@PackMensGolf won its 4th tournament of the year at the Stitch Intercollegiate with a program-record 51-under.

2. Christian Salzer (-14)
T3. Max Steinlechner (-13)
T5. Benjamin Shipp (-12)
T5. Easton Paxton (-12)
T27. Carter Graf (-3)
@wcthornhill
https://t.co/nC50JPAHqT
Wolfer79
The NC State men's golf team shot a program-record score of 51-under par to win the Stitch Intercollegiate held at MacGregor Downs on Saturday.

The win is the fourth consecutive tournament victory for NC State. The four wins are the most in a single season since the 1982-83 season.

The Pack had four players finish in the top-five of the individual standings as all four players shot at least 10-under par.

Christian Salzer led the Pack with a second place finish with a three-round score of 202, 14-under par. The Sumter, S.C., native score is the fourth-lowest score in program-history related to par. Salzer shot seven-under par in both the first and third rounds as he grabbed the best finish of his collegiate career.

Maximilian Steinlechner was next for NC State at 13-under par. Steinlechner's 54-hole score is the best of his collegiate career and

Easton Paxton was alone in third place, one shot back of Salzer, after one round. The Riverton, Wyo., completed the back nine in 30 strokes to move up the leaderboard.

Benjamin Shipp was in a tie for fourth place, one shot back of Paxton, after one round. Shipp is hunting for his third consecutive individual title after winning his last two events.

Maximilian Steinlechner shot a two-under par 70 in the first round and is in a tie for 16th place. His score is tied for eighth-lowest in program history. After an opening round score of 70, the sophomore shot a 66 in the second round and closed with a five-under par 67 on Saturday.

Steinlechner has now finished in the top-five in five consecutive tournaments.

Benjamin Shipp, coming off a red-hot March that saw him win national recognition and honors for his play, including back-to-back tournament wins, shot a score of 12-under par to finish in a tie for fifth place.

The Duluth, Ga., native fired an opening-round 67 and after an even-par round of 72 in the second round, shot his best round of the tourney, a seven-under par 65 in the third round to post his fifth top-10 performance in seven tournaments this spring.

Easton Paxton tied Shipp for fifth at 12-under par. The Riverton, Wyo., native shot six-under par 66 in the first round, a two-under par 70 in the second and closed with a four-under 68 in the final round on Saturday.

Paxton, Salzer and Steinlechner all shot the best 54-hole scores of their NC State career this weekend.

Carter Graf rounded out the NC State lineup in a tie for 27th place. After an opening-round of 73, Graf improved every round, shooting a 72 in the second and a four-under par 68 in the third. The final round 68 is the lowest round of Graf's collegiate career.

NC State also had four more competitors playing unattached this weekend. Freshman Ethan Choi shot a three-round score five-under par to finish in a tie for 17th place. Nick Mathews finished in a tie for 37th place at one-under par for the tourney. Spencer Oxendine shot a 70 on Saturday on his way to a tie for 61st place and Thomas Deal finished in 68th place.

The Pack returns to action when it begins play in the ACC Championship at the Capital City Club in Atlanta, Ga., on Friday, April 23.

NC State Team Lineup
2. Christian Salzer 65-72-65202
T3. Maximilian Steinlechner 70-66-67203
T5. Benjamin Shipp 67-72-65204
T5. Easton Paxton 66-70-68204
T27. Carter Graf 73-72-68213

NC State Individuals
T17. Ethan Choi 70-73-68211
T37. Nick Mathews 74-71-70215
T61. Spencer Oxendine 80-75-70225
68. Thomas Deal 78-76-82236

Team Standings
1. NC State 268-280-265813
2. Notre Dame 275-276-274825
3. ETSU 278-278-270826
4. Virginia Tech 275-277-278830
5. Campbell 282-288-269839
6. Duke 283-282-276841
7. College of Charleston 287-278-280845
8. Coastal Carolina 286-292-273851
9. Davidson 291-288-274853
10. Denver 289-288-281858
11. Elon 291-294-289874
12. East Carolina 289-298-288875

The Pack returns to action when it begins play in the ACC Championship at the Capital City Club in Atlanta, Ga., on Friday, April 23.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
grandpack1 said:

Florida State is actually the cream of the crop in the conference. They may have the best talent in the country. Wake is always good. Arnold Palmer started their tradiition by funding all their golf scholarships at a time that no other teams other than Houston and Texas gave scholarships. Clemson is playing well but do not really know anything about them. I know absolutely nothing about Ga Tech. I believe UNC may be ranked but I have absolutely no idea why. They really have not shown me much at all. Their top two guys are pretty good but frankly, they look like State teams of the past.

because I was curious

March 26 Men's College Golf Rankings
ACC teams

#1 Florida State
#3 Wake Forest
#14 Clemson
#15 unc-ch
#20 NC State
FlockaWolf
We dropped from 9th to 20th after a historic weekend?
Wolfer79
FlockaWolf said:

We dropped from 9th to 20th after a historic weekend?

March 26 was latest I could find
Packchem91
Wolfer79 said:

Teams (# = Golfstat Rankings)
#9 NC State
#26 Notre Dame
#40 Duke
#55 ETSU
#76 Campbell
#85 College of Charleston
#86 Coastal Carolina
#89 Denver
Davidson
East Carolina
Elon
Virginia Tech

ECU has really slipped. My son played with, or against, several of those kids in HS and junior tournaments several years ago....surprised they have not been better/more consistent in college.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.