Men's golf this spring??

10,784 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
About a third of the way through today's round, UNC leads at -24, State is at -14, Clemson at -10 and FSU at -3. GT and Wake are next at +2 so we should be in good shape as far as advancing to the match play. Shipp continues to lead at -10, but the next three are all UNC players with one at -8 and two at -7.

Things can change quickly but we are looking good for the afternoon semi finals of match play right now.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
grandpack1
STorm. It is Medal play. I do stand corrected. Senior here.
grandpack1
We are going to finish in the top 4. But what we do not want to happen is happening. We are not playing well and our opponent is playing the best golf of any team in the tournament today. That is a tough combination. Also, UNC is playing well but in my opinion, they will be getting a huge break if Ga Tech passes FSU and Wake. FSU might be the best team in the country and Wake is not far behind. I know Clemson is ranked ahead of Wake technically in National polls but Wake is really strong this year. It would be huge for UNC I think if Ga Tech is their first round Match. But anything can happen in team golf.
Wolfer79
grandpack1 said:

Also, UNC is playing well but in my opinion, they will be getting a huge break if Ga Tech passes FSU and Wake. FSU might be the best team in the country and Wake is not far behind. I know Clemson is ranked ahead of Wake technically in National polls but Wake is really strong this year. It would be huge for UNC I think if Ga Tech is their first round Match. But anything can happen in team golf.
It looks like 4th

Florida State finished at +5 to finish 4th
Wake Forest and Georgia Tech at +6

DrummerboyWolf
It's going to be State vs Clemson and UNC vs FSU in the afternoon match play. Pack has not played well today and Clemson has, but it's match play and anything can happen. We'll see how it goes.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
grandpack1
Yep.. Totally different game between this and team Medal play.
Wolfer79
NC State finishes 3rd and advances to match play vs Clemson
Shipp finishes second, -9
Steinlechner, tie 15th, +1
Paxton, Salzer and Graff tie 22nd +3
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
don't like the Wolfpack chances

Graf even through 11
Steinlechner even through 10
Shipp down 4 through 9
Salzer even through 9
Paxton down 3 through 8
grandpack1
We had a gritty comeback to give ourselves a chance. This was a really good weekend for us. Our best player was not at his best in his match. I wonder if the race for individual title didn't take too much out of him. Our guys showed a lot of grit. UNC sure wishes ga tech would have held on. FSU is loaded. They may beat Clemson pretty handly tomorrow
Packchem91
grandpack1 said:

We had a gritty comeback to give ourselves a chance. This was a really good weekend for us. Our best player was not at his best in his match. I wonder if the race for individual title didn't take too much out of him. Our guys showed a lot of grit. UNC sure wishes ga tech would have held on. FSU is loaded. They may beat Clemson pretty handly tomorrow
Had same thought about Shipp -- and Fountain (who beat him in the individual) got blown out in the matchplay. I think their battle probably pulled a lot of emotion out of them.
Which will hopefully be a really good learning experience for Shipp, if so.
Of course, it could also be as simple as Clemson's #1, Bridgeman, just played really well...it happens.

Hopefully we land in a favorable regional. Amazing looking at the SEC and ACC tournaments and how many top 20 teams were in those 2 fields.
Wolfer79
final results
Graf lost in 19 holes
Steinlechner won 1 up
Shipp lost 2&1
Salzer tie
Paxton lost 3&2

Clemson wins match 3-1-1
grandpack1
Shipp lost to Bridgeman who is the Number 2 ranked NCAA golfer this year. I still think if he plays well, he could have won cause he had it at 1 down with two to play.

The bad loss was by Fountain. He lost to a freshman that is not FSU's top golfer. And UNC's second ranked golfer lost to an alternate that was a plug-in. I guess UNC thought they won something when they won the medal play. Just like them.
Wolfer79
just checked on championship match
tied 2-2
last group on their 21st hole
Wolfer79
Clemson wins championship
grandpack1
great win for Clemson.

Wolfer79
Tim Bourret

Stat of the tournament. Clemson made just one birdie on the third hole the entire tournament, stroke play and match play combined. And that was Gordon's tournament winner. Had been 0 for 25 before.

89_Grad
will we be better next year, or take a step back?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
FlockaWolf
I would assume take a step back since Shipp will graduate and he is our #1
grandpack1
Flock. We are going to be really solid next year. I would not really assume that.
FlockaWolf
I agree but we are top 10 in the country right now and hard to see us doing that again without one of the best golfers in the country.
grandpack1
Flock. We will just have to wait and see. I personally believe that we can be.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Led by Benjamin Shipp and Max Steinlechner, @PackMensGolf will look to punch its ticket to Arizona this weekend, competing at the Kingston Springs Regional as a No. 2 seed.

@wcthornhill
https://t.co/XdCIcbEJfb
Wolfer79
After a top-5 finish at the Kingston Springs Regional, @PackMensGolf is headed to Arizona to compete in the NCAA Championships.
@katpeters15
https://t.co/s0rticUvtx
Packchem91
Not related to the NCAA Finals, but Fay Observer sports (FOSports) had a tweeted article earlier this week about Spencer Oxendine winning the local qualifier to advance to sectional qualifying for the US Open. Article talked about how he had struggled this spring, lost his confidence and short game....but after his season ended, he worked with a new coach (former Pack Kelly Mitchum) and worked thru his issues.
Shot a 5 under at River Landing for the local.

Doesn't help us this w/e, but this would bode well for next season at least!
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.