Olympics

15,790 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tootie4Pack
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cowboypack02 said:

Civilized said:

Are you guys intentionally ignoring her past, protracted sexual abuse by Larry Nassar?

Or do you not know that she was molested for multiple childhood and teenage years by a trusted gymnastics authority figure?

You think the resulting PTSD/trauma that I'm sure impacts her and others on a daily basis played a key role in her withdrawing from this comp?

It's so gross that anyone would know what she went through, and how she has still crushed it in her sport including as an gold medal-winning Olympian, and blast her for having ch|nks in her mental health armor.

I'm really hoping people taking that stance, and/or comparing her to other athletes that weren't sexually abused for years as children while playing their sport, just don't know about her history.
I'm pretty sure that she has competed in at least one Olympics since the sexual abuse that the experienced.

Here is my question to you and to anyone that says that she stopped competing because of mental issues....do you think that she would of quit if she had of finished first instead of last in the event that she competed in before she dropped out? I think if we are being honest with each other the answer to that question is no

What does her competing in an Olympics since the abuse ended have to do with anything?

She's the best gymnast on the planet right now and has been for years. She overcame world-class competition and sexual abuse by a trusted team doctor to dominate her sport. She's won four Olympic gold medals and nearly 30 World Championship golds. She didn't get there by being a wilting flower in the face of adversity.

More importantly, she said she's struggling with her mental health during these Olympics. And her social media posts today intimate that her past sexual trauma is playing a role.

Why aren't we just thankful for her accomplishments and her pouring it out for our country for years on the international stage; gracious and sensitive about her history of sex abuse by a trusted figure in her sport; and simply taking her words about her struggling with her mental health right now at face value?
Wolfer79
PackFansXL
Previously she reported having lost her "air sense" or the ability to track where you are in the air. That seems like a very good reason for caution. Nobody wants to see her seriously injured if her body control is off. That sounds very different from what Civ is referencing.

Quote:

[Biles] said in morning practice that she had a little bit of the twisties. The twisties are a mysterious phenomenon . . . Your body just won't cooperate, your brain loses track of where you are in the air. You find out where the ground is when you slam into it . . . In gymnastics, this is called "air sense." And Biles is famous for how good hers is. "She's always had incredible air sense, which is what you need in this sport," her former coach Aimee Boorman told Houstonia magazine in 2015. "She doesn't crash very frequently. Other kids, you'll just see them splat, or get lost in the air. That doesn't happen with her."
PackFansXL
packgrad said:

Quote:

Half of the country isn't proud of America. The other half dislikes the politicization of events like the Olympics. Couple the two, and we have a ratings disaster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
I haven't watched any of it either. I read this thread and the articles on one online source. That constitutes what I know about the "2020" Olympics.
Civilized
PackFansXL said:

Previously she reported having lost her "air sense" or the ability to track where you are in the air. That seems like a very good reason for caution. Nobody wants to see her seriously injured if her body control is off. That sounds very different from what Civ is referencing.

Quote:

[Biles] said in morning practice that she had a little bit of the twisties. The twisties are a mysterious phenomenon . . . Your body just won't cooperate, your brain loses track of where you are in the air. You find out where the ground is when you slam into it . . . In gymnastics, this is called "air sense." And Biles is famous for how good hers is. "She's always had incredible air sense, which is what you need in this sport," her former coach Aimee Boorman told Houstonia magazine in 2015. "She doesn't crash very frequently. Other kids, you'll just see them splat, or get lost in the air. That doesn't happen with her."

Makes sense that one would be the byproduct of the other.

She's clearly said she's suffering from stress and anxiety to the extent that she doesn't feel like she can push through it, the way she has in the past.

No precision athlete is going to be performing the way they can/should/otherwise would in that state of mind.
Steve Videtich
Guys, I can add a little to this from first hand experience. My daughter competed gymnastics for about 8 years. She obviously never got to the the level these girls are at, but the "twisties" comment grabbed my attention.

My daughter got the same thing. She was practicing, doing a tumble skill, and when she got midair, she freaked out. Lost her air sense and began a slow decline over the next 3 months of not being able to do simple skills she had had for years. To the point she quit entirely. Mostly because the coach cut her no slack and was an ass, but that's another discussion.

I think she is dealing with the twisties, and that is a matter of safety for sure. I don't like that it's being portrayed as a "mental health" issue, when it's more a mental block thing. If she was having a mental breakdown from the stress, she wouldn't be carrying on with her teammates like she was last night, in my opinion. Just my 2 cents!
Bell Tower Grey
Thanks for that post, Steve. I hope your daughter is better with her issue. And, piss on the coach.

Mental health is a critical problem in our country today. There is not enough good help at any level it seems, to try to address the problem. Skilled professionals, medications, and treatment facilities - both short and long term - have been sorely lacking for way too many years. Sadly, I don't see a lot of help forthcoming.

As someone that has a couple of family members with mental health issues, I know the challenges these individuals face daily, sometimes even by the minute. It's not easy for them, nor for those of us that can only stand by and watch.

If Miss Biles does have a true mental health issue, I pray that she can and will get the help she needs to make her better. If it is, as you say, a mental block, then hopefully proper counseling from her coaches will address that as well.
caryking
I would tend to agree with Steve. I have no doubt she was feeling the weight of the world. Most likely, the stress probably helped her lose her way (in this case, the air sense) and she knew she couldn't perform. If she has loss her air sense, no one should want her to compete
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
packgrad
GuerrillaPack
Just announced that the top American men's pole vaulter (world champion and gold medal favorite) has been given a "positive" with the completely bogus testing, and is disqualified.

People's dreams are being crushed and lives are being ruined over this farce, and too many people don't care. Imagine dedicating your life to winning a gold medal, and then having it ripped away because of this charade. Or having a once in a lifetime chance to win the college World Series...

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
Sophie's individual #Tokyo2020 slate wraps up in the 200 breaststroke semis!

2:24.28 to place 10th https://t.co/DQrW92LJdj
WarrenPeace
pineknollshoresking said:

I would tend to agree with Steve. I have no doubt she was feeling the weight of the world. Most likely, the stress probably helped her lose her way (in this case, the air sense) and she knew she couldn't perform. If she has loss her air sense, no one should want her to compete

What was her score in vault? Did she fall when she vaulted? Did she land off the mat? I honestly do not know. I think she completed her vault and then quit right?

I don't doubt it exists but that's the first time I've even see an Olympic gymnast quit because of it. Hard to believe.
Wolfer79

Olympics
Games of the XXXII Olympiad: Tokyo 2020
Day 6
Basketball
Men's Group C, Saitama Super Arena, Saitama, Japan
Spain vs. Argentina Universo, 8 a.m./NBCSN, 8:10 a.m.

Women's Group B, Saitama Super Arena, Saitama, Japan
United States vs. Japan USA Network, 12:30 a.m. (Friday)

Volleyball
Women's Pool B, Ariake Arena, Tokyo, Japan
United States vs. Turkey USA Network, 8:45 a.m.

Men's Pool B, Ariake Arena, Tokyo, Japan
Brazil vs. United States CNBC, 10:55 p.m.

Golf
Men's, Kasumigaseki Country Club, Kawagoe, Saitama, Japan
2nd Round Golf Channel, 6:30 p.m.

Live From the Olympics Golf Channel, 5 p.m.
Live From the Olympics Golf Channel, 3 a.m. (Friday)

Beach Volleyball
Women's Pool B, Shiokaze Park-Centre Court, Tokyo, Japan
April Ross/Alix Klineman (United States) vs. Sanne Keizer/Madelein Meppelink (Netherlands) CNBC, 8 p.m.

Track & Field
Men's and Women's, Olympic Stadium, Tokyo, Japan
Qualifying Heats USA Network, 8 p.m.

Rowing
Men's and Women's, Sea Forest Waterway, Tokyo, Japan
Single Sculls Final A CNBC, 9 p.m.

Rugby Sevens
Women's Pool C, Tokyo Stadium, Tokyo, Japan
Australia vs. United States CNBC, 9:30 p.m.

Women's, Tokyo Stadium, Tokyo, Japan
Quarterfinal USA Network, 4:30 a.m. (Friday)

Swimming
Men's and Women's, Tokyo Aquatics Centre, Tokyo, Japan
Finals: Women's 200m Breaststroke, Men's 200m Breaststroke, Women's 100m Freestyle, Men's 200m Individual Medley NBC, 9:30 p.m.
Qualifying Heats USA Network, 6 a.m. (Friday)

Cycling: BMX
Men's and Women's, Ariake Urban Sports Park, Tokyo, Japan
Men's and Women's Semifinals and Finals CNBC, 10 p.m.

Tennis
Men's, Ariake Tennis Park, Tokyo, Japan
Singles and Mixed Doubles Semifinals, Doubles Final Olympic Channel, 11 p.m.
Singles and Mixed Doubles Semifinals, Doubles Final Olympic Channel, 2 a.m. (Friday)

Trampoline Gymnastics
Women's, Ariake Gymnastics Centre, Tokyo, Japan
Final CNBC, 1 a.m. (Friday)

Diving
Women's, Tokyo Aquatics Centre, Tokyo, Japan
3m Springboard Preliminary Rounds USA Network, 2:30 a.m. (Friday)

Water Polo
Women's Group B, Tatsumi Water Polo Centre, Tokyo, Japan
United States vs. Russian Olympic Committee CNBC, 2:30 a.m. (Friday)

Archery
Women's, Yumenoshima Final Field, Tokyo, Japan
Bronze Medal and Gold Medal Matches CNBC, 3:30 a.m. (Friday)

Soccer
Women's Quarterfinal, Miyagi Stadium, Rifu, Japan
Canada vs. Brazil NBCSN/Telemundo, 4 a.m. (Friday)

Women's Quarterfinal, Ibaraki Kashima Stadium, Kashima, Japan
Great Britain vs. Australia Universo, 5 a.m. (Friday)

Juegos Olmpicos de Tokyo 2020 Telemundo, 1 p.m.
Olympic Channel News Olympic Channel, 4 p.m.
Juegos Olmpicos Tokyo 2020: Edicin nocturna Telemundo, midnight

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Just minutes off his individual race, @nylskorstanje gets to be a part of the first 4x100 mixed medley relay in #Olympics history!

Netherlands (3:43.25) moves on to Friday's final with help from a 51.86 fly leg by Nyls.

#GoPack
statefan91
WarrenPeace said:

pineknollshoresking said:

What was her score in vault? Did she fall when she vaulted? Did she land off the mat? I honestly do not know. I think she completed her vault and then quit right?

I don't doubt it exists but that's the first time I've even see an Olympic gymnast quit because of it. Hard to believe.
She completed 1.5 rotations when she was supposed to do 2.5. Said she lost her tracking in the air and was thankfully able to land without hurting herself.
packgrad
statefan91

Looks like the vacuum at the top has been filled.
wufpak
statefan91 said:

Looks like the vacuum at the top has been filled.

Simone who?
The government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:  If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
Wolfer79
IseWolf22
packgrad said:

I'll admit I have not watched much. But when I have, there has been way to much time spent on people's backstory and not the event itself.

When I watch the Olympics, part of the appeal is the non-stop stream of sports, sometimes weird sports, being played by the best of the best. I don't really want to know everyone's family issues. I don't only want to watch events with Americans in it. I want to see weightlifting followed by diving, followed by golf, Judo, etc.
Wolfer79
packgrad
Wolfer79 said:

Hopefully that doesn't cause any anxiety for any Triangle Olympians.
PackMom
packgrad said:

Wolfer79 said:

At least they aren't here to endure it.
Wolfer79
packgrad said:

Wolfer79 said:

Agent 86 voice

missed the right topic by that much
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Olympics
Day 7
Soccer
Women's Quarterfinal, International Stadium Yokohama, Yokohama, Japan
Netherlands vs. United States NBCSN/Telemundo, 7 a.m.

Women's Quarterfinal, Saitama Stadium, Saitama, Japan
Sweden vs. Japan Universo, 8 a.m. (same day coverage)

Table Tennis
Men's, Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium, Tokyo, Japan
Bronze Medal and Gold Medal Matches USA Network, 8:45 a.m.

Beach Volleyball
Men's Pool C, Shiokaze Park-Centre Court, Tokyo, Japan
Cherif Younousse/Ahmed Tijan (Qatar) vs. Jacob Gibb/Tri Bourne (United States) NBCSN, 9 a.m.

Women's Pool D, Shiokaze Park-Centre Court, Tokyo, Japan
Ana Patricia Silva Ramos/Rebecca Silva (Brazil) vs. Kelly Claes/Sarah Sponcil (United States) CNBC/NBC, 8 p.m.

Volleyball
Men's Pool B, Ariake Arena, Tokyo, Japan
Russian Olympic Committee vs. France NBCSN, 10 a.m. (same day coverage)

United States vs. Russian Olympic Committee CNBC, 10:10 p.m.

Baseball
Group B, Yokohama Baseball Stadium, Yokohama, Japan
United States vs. Israel NBCSN, 10:30 a.m. (same day coverage)
Republic of Korea vs. United States NBCSN, 6 a.m. (Saturday)

Golf
3rd Round Golf Channel, 6:30 p.m.

Live From the Olympics Golf Channel, 3 a.m. (Saturday)

Triathlon
Men's and Women's, Odaiba Marine Park, Tokyo, Japan
Mixed Relay USA Network, 6:30 p.m.

Track & Field
Qualifying Heats USA Network, 8 p.m.
Qualifying Heats and Men's 10,000m Final Peacock, 6 a.m. (Saturday)

Archery
Men's, Yumenoshima Final Field, Tokyo, Japan
Round of 16 Eliminations CNBC, 9 p.m.
Individual Bronze Medal and Gold Medal Matches CNBC, 2:45 a.m. (Saturday)

Cycling BMX Freestyle
Men's and Women's, Ariake Urban Sports Park, Tokyo, Japan
Women's Qualifying CNBC, 9:30 p.m.
Men's Qualifying USA Network, 11 p.m.

Swimming
Finals: Men's 100m Butterfly, Women's 200m Backstroke, Women's 800m Freestyle, Mixed 4x100m Medley Relay NBC, 9:30 p.m.

Tennis
Men's and Women's, Ariake Tennis Park, Tokyo, Japan
Women's Singles Bronze and Gold Medal Matches, Women's Doubles Bronze Medal Match, Men's Singles Bronze Medal Match, Mixed Doubles Bronze Medal Match Olympic Channel, 11 p.m.
Women's Singles Bronze and Gold Medal Matches, Women's Doubles Bronze Medal Match, Men's Singles Bronze Medal Match, Mixed Doubles Bronze Medal Match Olympic Channel, 2 a.m. (Saturday)

Fencing
Women's, Makuhari Messe Hall, Chiba, Japan
Sabre Team Semifinals CNBC, 12:45 a.m. (Saturday)

Water Polo
Men's Group A, Tatsumi Water Polo Centre, Tokyo, Japan
United States vs. Hungary USA Network, 1 a.m. (Saturday)

Trampoline Gymnastics
Men's, Ariake Gymnastics Centre, Tokyo, Japan
Final CNBC, 1:30 a.m. (Saturday)

Diving
3m Springboard Semifinal USA Network, 2:10 a.m. (Saturday)

Shooting
Men's and Women's, Asaka Shooting Range, Tokyo and Saitama, Japan
Trap Mixed Team Bronze Medal and Gold Medal Matches CNBC, 2:15 a.m. (Saturday)

Handball
Women's Group B, Yoyogi National Stadium, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan
Russian Olympic Committee vs. France USA Network, 3:30 a.m. (Saturday)

Soccer
Men's Quarterfinal, Miyagi Stadium, Rifu, Japan
Spain vs. Cte d'Ivoire NBCSN/Telemundo, 4 a.m. (Saturday)

Men's Quarterfinal, Ibaraki Kashima Stadium, Kashima, Japan
Japan vs. New Zealand USA Network, 5:30 a.m. (Saturday, joined in progress)

Men's Quarterfinal, Saitama Stadium, Saitama, Japan
Brazil vs. Egypt Universo, 6 a.m. (Saturday)

Rugby Sevens
Women's, Tokyo Stadium, Tokyo, Japan
Bronze Medal and Gold Medal Matches USA Network, 4:30 a.m. (Saturday)

Juegos Olmpicos de Tokyo 2020 Telemundo, 1 p.m.
Juegos Olmpicos de Tokyo 2020 Universo, 1 p.m.
Olympic Channel News Olympic Channel, 3 p.m.
Wolfer79
Anton Ipsen (15:01.58) and Alexander Norgaard (15:28.70) wrap up action in the 1500 free. Our final individual event prelim of #Tokyo2020!

Wolfer79
.@HanssonSophie helps Sweden to another relay final!

Her 1:05.61 breaststroke split set up the team for a 3:56.23 and No. 5 finish in the prelims.

#GoPack

Wolfer79
Wishing @its_gabbii the best of luck in her first Olympic race today! She'll compete in the first round of the women's 100m hurdles tonight at 9:45pm ET.

Stream it live here: https://t.co/kOdc8GTuGR
Live results: https://t.co/zAi4tnWmbj

#Tokyo2020

Wolfer79
Make plans for this evening to watch @CoachSlabe and the United States play in their fourth match of the Olympics!

ROC
10:05 ET
https://t.co/DDCZ6CkeHU

#Tokyo2020 https://t.co/aveJKK9Dtd
dogplasma
My viewing has been spotty but I've really enjoyed watching the triathlons, women's 3x3 basketball (gold!), and some swimming and diving.
Wolfer79
Incoming Wolfpack swimmer Noe Ponti made history for his country on Friday night as he earned a bronze medal in what was the first-ever 100-meter butterfly finals appearance by a Swiss swimmer.

Ponti clocked in at 50.74 in his third-place finish, which established a new national record in the event. He put together an incredibly fast trio of butterfly swims over the last two days, going just off the Swiss record in the prelims (51.24) and lowering the record once in the Thursday night semis (50.76) before bettering it in the final.

His mark in the finals was just over a second off the winning time, a 49.45 world record set by Caeleb Dressel of the United States. NC State has now had a medalist in each of the last four Olympic Games. Ponti's performance followed Ryan Held's gold medal in the 4x100-meter freestyle relay from 2016, Cullen Jones' pair of silver medals from 2012 and Jones' 4x100-meter freestyle relay gold from 2008.

Nyls Korstanje joined Ponti in Thursday night's butterfly semifinal race, ranking in the top 16 in his individual Olympics debut. The Netherlands native set a new Dutch record in the prelims (51.54) and put together another solid swim in the semis (51.80) to rank 12th in the world.

Korstanje also impressed as a member of the mixed 4x00-meter medley relay team for Netherlands as the event was swam at the Olympics for the first time. In the prelims, the squad went 3:43.25 boosted by Korstanje's 51.86 butterfly leg. Netherlands then lowered that time in the finals, touching in 3:41.25 for sixth place. Korstanje dropped his leg to 51.34 in his first-ever Olympic final.

Alexander Norgaard and Anton Ipsen both saw action in the 1,500-meter freestyle prelims on Friday morning, with Ipsen clocking in at 15:01.58 and Norgaard finishing in 15:28.70 as they represented Denmark.

Friday's earlier session also marked the prelims for the 4x100-meter medley relay, which will close out the swimming portion of the 2020 Olympic Games on Saturday night. Kacper Stokowski (54.67 backstroke split) was part of a 3:32.62 Polish record that placed sixth, and Sophie Hansson (1:05.61 breaststroke split) helped her Swedish team advance to the finals.

Hansson and Team Sweden will compete in the final swimming session that begins at 9:30 p.m. EST on Saturday night. The races will be broadcast live on NBC, with the women's medley relay scheduled to go off around 10:15 p.m. EST.

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Olympics
Day 8

Soccer
Men's Quarterfinal, International Stadium Yokohama, Yokohama, Japan
Republic of Korea vs. Mexico USA Network/Telemundo, 7 a.m.

Basketball
Men's Group A, Saitama Super Arena, Saitama, Japan
United States vs. Czech Republic Peacock, 8 a.m.

Women's Group A, Saitama Super Arena, Saitama, Japan
Canada vs. Spain USA Network, 11:30 p.m. (same day coverage)

Men's Group C, Saitama, Super Arena, Saitama, Japan
Spain vs. Slovenia USA Network, 4:15 a.m. (Sunday)

Badminton
Men's, Musashino Forest Sport Plaza, Chfu, Japan
Doubles Gold Medal Match NBCSN, 9 a.m.

Singles Semifinals CNBC, midnight

Volleyball
Communist China vs. Italy USA Network, 9 a.m.

Golf
Final Round Golf Channel, 6:30 p.m.
Live From the Olympics Golf Channel, 3:30 a.m. (Sunday)

Track & Field
Qualifying Heats and Women's Shot Put Final USA Network, 8 a.m.
Finals: 4 x 400m Relay Mixed and Women's 100m Peacock, 8:30 a.m.

Beach Volleyball
Women's, Shiokaze Park-Centre Court, Tokyo, Japan
Round of 16 Elimination Match CNBC/NBC, 8 p.m.

Men's, Shiokaze Park-Centre Court, Tokyo, Japan
Round of 16 Elimination Match NBC, midnight
Round of 16 Elimination Match CNBC, 1 a.m. (Sunday)

Cycling BMX
Finals, Ariake Urban Sports Park, Tokyo, Japan
Women's and Men's Park Finals CNBC, 9 p.m.

Swimming
Finals: Men's and Women's 50m Freestyle, Men and Women's 4x100m Medley Relay NBC, 9:30 p.m.

Wrestling
Men's, Makuhari Messe Hall A, Tokyo, Japan
Qualifying Rounds CNBC, 11:20 p.m.

Fencing
Men's, Makuhari Messe Hall, Tokyo, Japan
Foil Team Semifinals USA Network, 12:30 a.m. (Sunday)

Diving
3m Springboard Final USA Network, 2 a.m. (Sunday)

Handball
Men's Group A, Yoyogi National Stadium, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan
Norway vs. France CNBC, 3 a.m. (Sunday)

Juegos Olmpics de Tokyo 2020 Telemundo, noon
Olympic Channel News Olympic Channel, 3 p.m.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.