Favorite Recipes: Grill, Stovetop, Oven, etc....Share Them Here

19,450 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FlossyDFlynt
SexualChocolate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tried the Kalbi recipe. Got the Kalbi at a butcher. Tasted really good. Love the marinade and might use on my own Korean bbq recipe. Thought cut of meat was too fatty for my taste but overall a great recipe.
iwenc
SexualChocolate said:

Tried the Kalbi recipe. Got the Kalbi at a butcher. Tasted really good. Love the marinade and might use on my own Korean bbq recipe. Thought cut of meat was too fatty for my taste but overall a great recipe.
I'm glad you enjoyed the flavor. Yes, you have to look for short rib cuts that just have have a lower fat ratio or it gets a little overwhelming. Or I just have a little bit more adult beverage with the meal to wash it down! When I'm at Costco, I look for flanken short ribs with the least amount of fat, but you can definitely use the marinade on leaner cuts of meat. In case anyone has a Fresh Market near them, short ribs, regular and flanken cut, are on sale for $6.99, I think until 1/27 or 1/29 (at least at the Cameron Village one).
SexualChocolate
Thank you, I should have been a little more selective on the short ribs. Going to try again but first probably your pork recipe next!
packgrad
iwenc said:

packgrad said:

iwenc said:

packgrad said:

I'm going to try your pork bulgogi recipe. Sounds great. I haven't settled on one that knocks my socks off yet. Thanks!
Make sure you use cuts of pork that have some marbling. Something like loin will be too lean. If you like it really spicy, use more of the red chili powder or use spicier versions of the gochujiang. The mild version that I buy is already pretty spicy (have to keep the heat low for my Mom), but I like hot or super hot. I also eat things like ghost peppers that other people say taste like eating molten lava, so take that for what it's worth. Let me know how it goes!

Dude. I'm an idiot. I always buy my gochujang at the Asian supermarket in my area. Being that the labels are mostly not in English I've always kind of found the brand I use, grab it, and go. This morning when I purchased it your post resonated with me as I was walking away and saw the "extra spicy" in the top corner. I turned around went back and sure enough, they have different heat levels. Lol. I'm such an idiot. We go through a few containers a year and I've literally never noticed until today. Sometimes my wife will be like "why is it so much spicier this time?" and I'll respond "I used the same recipe. I guess it's just a spicy batch". Good stuff. She's going to get a lot of mileage out of this when she finds out.

Fwiw, target date for your pork bulgogi is Thursday. I'm excited to try it. My recipes have been slightly more basic so looking forward to trying yours.
Ha, if it makes you feel any better, the last time I bought gochujang is the first time I noticed varying heat levels, so it's not just you! The Korean brands are definitely spicier than the others, even with the mild ones.

Let me know how it goes, I really love this recipe, and it was a great addition to the kalbi one that we make all the time. We've had fun grilling a ton of meats during COVID, and I even gifted some friends and family with tabletop grills for Christmas so they could replicate the true Korean BBQ experience at home while eating out is a less attractive option for the time being.

Phenomenal. Took me back 25 years to when my friends were cooking for me. I LOVED it. Far superior to the recipes I have used beforehand. I will be saving this one for sure and using it over and over. Thank you sir!

Also, I think using the butt is key. I've always used tenderloin in the past. The fat and the caramelization of the fat are just wonderful flavor enhancers to an already delicious marinade.

You've truly made my night. Been struggling with this one for a while. The struggle is over. Thanks again.
iwenc
It's actually Ms vs Sir, but no worries, I'm just glad that you enjoyed the recipe! We love grilling anything, and Korean BBQ is really fun whether cooked on the tabletop or grilled and brought indoors.

Now for some non-Korean BBQ recipes:

Bacon Cheddar Scallion Scones - a big hit for the early tailgates before noon games

6 bacon slices, diced
2 cups all purpose flour (10 oz if weighing)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
5 oz cheddar cheese, shredded (tastes best if fresh grated, but I am usually lazy and use bagged shreds)
3 green onions, chopped
5 tbsp butter, cubed (works best if butter is very cold or frozen)
2/3 cup heavy cream, +/- a tbsp

Preheat oven to 400F
Cook bacon until crisp, then drain, blot with a paper towel, and cool.
Whisk or sift to combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt, then stir in cheddar, scallions and bacon
Add butter, and work with fingers or a pastry knife until butter pieces are pea sized and coated with the flour mixture.
Form a well in the middle and add the heavy cream, stir lightly, enough just to distribute, but don't overmix to avoid having tough scones. Mix will be crumbly.
Turn mix onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and form into a rectangle or circle. Even though it will be crumbly, you should be able to press it together into either shape. Cut into squares, triangles, or wedges as is your preference and spread across the parchment paper. If you want a less rustic appearance, you could use a biscuit cutter.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are crisp but the interior is still moist (I sacrifice one to taste every time!).
Serve warm, goes really well with more butter, tomato jam, or made into a breakfast sandwich with eggs and more bacon.

Candied Walnuts - crispy and lightly sweet with a bit of salt like kettle corn. Super easy, cheap and addictive, ridiculous how much these cost if you buy them. Great for salads, snacking (especially with a nice cheese and meat board), and gifting

1 lb walnut halves or large pieces (I get the 3lb bag from Costco for less than $10)
1 cup sugar
Himalayan pink salt (adds great flavor without being too salty)
neutral oil for frying (I use vegetable, canola, or peanut)

Place the walnuts in a pot and cover with water. Boil for 2-3 minutes, then drain well without rinsing. This takes away most of the bitterness of the walnut skins.
Immediately transfer to a bowl while hot and toss with sugar until well coated.
Heat oil to 350F and deep fry 1/3 batch at a time for about 4-5 minutes until golden to dark golden brown (I go 4min for smaller batches, and 5min if I am putting more than 1/3 lb in at a time). Make sure your frying vessel has enough clearance to accommodate any bubbling or foaming of the oil when you drop in the nuts. I use the side burner on my grill or a big pot on a turkey fryer stand if I'm making large batches so I can fry outside. Keeps frying smell out of the house.
Use a spider or a slotted spoon to remove nuts from oil to a cookie sheet. Immediately sprinkle a good pinch of Himalayan pink salt over the hot nuts. You don't need much for fantastic flavor.
Cool for a bit, then while the outside caramelized parts are still warm and pliable, but not liquid, break the nuts apart and drain/blot on newspaper to get rid of excess oil. If you don't wait until the nuts are cool enough, you will end up with bits of newspaper or paper towel embedded in the candied nuts, yuck! If you wait too long to separate the nuts, the candied shell on the clusters will be too hard and you'll have to break the nuts themselves. Still tastes great, but doesn't look as nice.
Store cooled nuts in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you leave leftover oil to cool, you can remove the caramelized sugar at the bottom as a big sheet if you want to reuse the oil for something else.

Enjoy!

Bell Tower Grey
In a 2.5 gal. zip lock bag, I made up a brine of white vinegar, Scott's bbq sauce and cajun dry rub.. I put 18 wings and 6 drumsticks in it to marinate for an hour or so. Going to take them out of the brine, then rub them with the dry rub and bake them in the oven. This is a first time recipe exactly like this and I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Daughter made 2 dozen garlic knots last night to go with them.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

In a 2.5 gal. zip lock bag, I made up a brine of white vinegar, Scott's bbq sauce and cajun dry rub.. I put 18 wings and 6 drumsticks in it to marinate for an hour or so. Going to take them out of the brine, then rub them with the dry rub and bake them in the oven. This is a first time recipe exactly like this and I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

If those drumsticks and wings are as good as the last ones you sent back to my house , then they will be smacking delicious !
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

If those drumsticks and wings are as good as the last ones you sent back to my house , then they will be smacking delicious !
Thank you! I will let you know.
Bell Tower Grey
Here, tootie! Crispy, and juicy.

Mormad
Perfect
Tootie4Pack
Mormad said:

Perfect

Looking good ! And I'm sure they are delicious.
Mormad
Taco soup
packgrad
Rotisserie turkey

Bell Tower Grey
Good looking meals, mormad and packgrad.

I had a lazy day today. Was going to smoke the butt that I bought yesterday, but I didn't feel like doing anything. So, I rubbed it down with salt & a little pepper, and put it in the slow cooker, along with 3 bottles of Scott's BBQ Sauce. Turned it on about 8:30 this morning and let it cook till about 4 this afternoon. Took it out, shredded it then back into the pot full of sauce. I was pleased with it considering it was in the pot and not on the smoker.

This was my second sammich:

Mormad
packgrad said:

Rotisserie turkey

O. M. G. That's ridiculous.
Tootie4Pack
BTG, that looks delicious.

Question: Don't see any slaw, so are you a slaw free BBQ sandwich person? Just curious.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

BTG, that looks delicious.

Question: Don't see any slaw, so are you a slaw free BBQ sandwich person? Just curious.

Slaw free on my sandwiches. Had my wife's homemade sour slaw, similar to Bunn's BBQ in Windsor, in a small bowl as a side. The bbq turned out good. It was even better today.
BBW12OG
In all honest I'm 50/50 crock pot - Traeger with my butts. Both are great. One is definitely a hell of a lot easier! I use Scott's as well. Good soaking sauce.
iwenc
Just made a batch of the candied walnuts:

And here's a recent result of trying to perfect a Peking Duck recipe and presentation:

Bell Tower Grey
iwenc said:

Just made a batch of the candied walnuts:

And here's a recent result of trying to perfect a Peking Duck recipe and presentation:

In my best Dan Bonner voice: "Oh My!"

Both of those look great. Would you be kind enough to share the candied walnut recipe? I'd ask for the duck, but I'm the only one that eats it here, so I usually get it when we are dining out, if it is on the menu..
iwenc
The walnut recipe is a couple of posts up. Super easy, but unfortunately addictive.
packgrad
The duck looks incredible. It looks like you perfected the recipe. I'd love the recipe if you care to share.
Mormad
Yeah, that duck looks great
Tootie4Pack
iwenc said:

The walnut recipe is a couple of posts up. Super easy, but unfortunately addictive.

IWENC, they may be addictive, but remember, that walnuts are healthy and good for us ! And those do look addictive. Had some candied pecans over the holidays. Good stuff.
iwenc
This recipe looks more complicated than it really is. Once you get the hang of using the air compressor or tire pump to inflate the skin away from the body, it's pretty easy. It's worth taking the effort because nearly all of the fat under the skin renders during roasting, and you're left with crispy skin and juicy, tender meat that has an unbelievable flavor. The fat all runs off into your roasting pan, and you can either discard or save for some delicious uses later. I've eaten Peking Duck all over the US and Asia, and this recipe is one of the best I've ever had, and definitely the best I've had out of an oven. The top ones are roasted over open flame and a fruitwood fire. At some point, I am going to try that, or at least get close with roasting by grill and a bit of smoke.

Peking Duck (adapted from Ming Tsai's recipe)

2 ducks (preferably Long Island/Pekin), cleaned with excess body cavity fat removed

rub
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 tbsp five spice powder (any Asian store and HT should have this)

aromatic stuffing
4 oranges, washed and cut into ~1 inch dice, including peel
12 green onions, washed and cut into 1-2 inch chunks
2 large hands ginger, washed and sliced into 1/8-1/4 inch pieces (you can leave skin on)

scalding liquid
1&1/2 gallons water
1 cup Chinese black vinegar (Asian stores, maybe HT)
1/2 cup dark molasses
1 cup dark soy sauce (most Asian stores, use regular if you can't find it, duck will not be as dark, and maybe a bit less salty)
2 star anise

air compressor or bike tire pump with needle attachment for inflating a basketball
wooden skewers or twine

crepes/pancakes or steamed lotus buns
jullienne cut cucumbers (I use English so I don't have to peel or seed)
jullienne cut green onions
hoisin sauce (any Asian store, HT)

In a tall stock pot, mix the scald liquid ingredients and bring to a brisk boil.

While this is heating up, trim the wing tips off such that only the drummettes are still attached.

Insert the needle attachment of the air compressor into the skin near the neck of the duck and inflate in order to separate the skin completely from the duck meat (for me, inflation is a 2 person job, especially if you try to use a tire pump, but if you use an air compressor, you could do it alone). You should strive to separate the skin over the whole body, from the breasts to the back, sides, thighs, legs, and drummettes. Experts are able to do this with one insertion, but I find I have to move the needle around, cover holes, and be patient to get the desired puffiness. When you do it right, even the skin on the drumsticks and drummettes will inflate away from the meat. The duck will deflate some when you remove the needle, but you should be able to maintain some level of puffiness.

Mix the salt and 5 spice powder together, and season the inside cavity and entire outside of each duck.

Mix the aromatic stuffing ingredients in a bowl, then stuff the cavity of each bird. Thread a skewer or sew the bottom skin flaps to seal the cavity to the tail.

Once the scalding liquid has reached a rolling boil, dip each duck into the boiling mixture 3 times. I usually dip 1 duck, set it aside, dip the other, then go back to dip the first duck a second time, etc. When you scald the duck, the skin should become very taut, and will start to darken a bit from the molasses, vinegar, and soy sauce. Don't worry that the salt and 5 spice have washed off.

Either hang or rack in the refrigerator or a cool place overnight or until skin is dry and parchment like. It will darken a bit, so it's like the ducks developed a tan. It helps a lot if you can hang them in front of a fan for a couple of hours. The drier the skin, the crispier and more translucent it will be if you did a good skin inflation. If you don't dry enough, the fat won't render and melt away, and you'll have a lot of residual under the skin. I used these Vertical Skewers from Amazon to dry upright and roast. The ones with hooks were too tall for my oven, but those of you with KJ or BGE grills may be able to roast your ducks with them. I used the vertical ones without the hook, and they've been great. Also, I've found if you pin the drummettes away from the body before drying, the ducks cook more evenly. I rubberbanded the drummettes on a chopstick while in the fridge, then removed before roasting.

When you're ready to roast, preheat your oven to 500F. Place ducks upright, if possible, in a roasting pan and roast at 500F for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375F for 40 minutes. You may need to go an hour if your ducks come straight out of the fridge. I haven't used a meat thermometer on these because I don't want to put a hole in the beautiful skin, but I also haven't had any issue with anything being undercooked. At most, there has been a little bit of pink at joints, but the meat has been fully cooked.

Let the ducks rest for about 20 minutes before carving so that the rendered fat drips into the roasting pan. I carve by holding the drummettes and pulling them toward the back as handles. Traditionally, Peking Duck is carved with a little bit of skin and meat with each piece, and a good chef can carve 100 slices from a single duck. I am unfortunately not this skilled, but I do get better every time. Here's a great video from one of the famous restaurant chains in Beijing that is both my inspiration and aspiration.

You can serve the duck with thin crepes/pancakes or with steamed buns. I prefer the thin crepes because I think the thickness of the steamed buns takes away from the star of the show. You can make pancakes by stacking 5 oiled dumpling/gyoza wrappers, rolling them out to about 6 inches, then steaming for about 20 minutes, but it's easier just to buy them from the Asian store (also better quality) frozen section and steaming or microwaving. I like the Hunsty brand, which runs under $2 for a dozen, but there are lots of brands sold at Asian stores. The crepe is drizzled with a bit of hoisin sauce, layered with a couple slices of duck, julienne cut cucumbers, and julienne cut green onions. Some restaurants also serve pieces of cantaloupe or honeydew, so it's sort of like eating melon and prosciutto.

Good luck, and good eating to all!

Skewer not yet trimmed, blown up and seasoned, scalded, dried

Bell Tower Grey
That is something I would love to witness being prepared. Having seen your pics of the process, in addition to the finished product, kudos to you, good lady. Pretty work.
iwenc
Here's another good one from Hey Grill Hey, a Garlic Butter Smoked Prime Rib

HT has bone in prime rib on sale for $6.99/lb frequently, and when they do, my parents call me over to make this. They don't have a smoker, so I use their regular gas grill at 275F and a pellet tube for the smoke. We use a meat thermometer to roast for a rare finish. I find that we can pull the meat at a few degrees lower than she indicates in her recipe to avoid overcooking. Even better with popovers!

iwenc
Bell Tower Grey said:

That is something I would love to witness being prepared. Having seen your pics of the process, in addition to the finished product, kudos to you, good sir. Pretty work.
Ha, I'm about to roast 3 right now to do a taste test comparison for a restaurant friend so they can decide which duck to use going forward. I wish I could share a taste across the internet!
Bell Tower Grey
I've used that same recipe for prime rib from HGH. I love it. I too, have used with with both the pellet tube (which I really like to use at times), as well as on my Weber kettle using snaked, hardwood charcoal with either soaked chips or pellets of choice.

Ever done a prime rib in rock salt?
iwenc
I have a super bad track record with rock salt crust on beef. I can do it when my Dad's Brazilian students are watching me, but when I try to do it unattended it's completely inedible. I have no idea why it's so different, because I swear I'm doing the same thing and using the same amount, but the last time I did it I spit out the first bite because it was so salty, and a beautiful ribeye followed it into the trash. I just about cried because I really wanted that ribeye!

Is this the part where you guys tell me it's because girls can't grill?!
packgrad
I don't think you have to worry about anyone questioning your cooking chops on this thread. You've been an ace in the sleeve. Thanks so much for the duck recipe. Can't wait to give it a try.
Bell Tower Grey
iwenc said:

I have a super bad track record with rock salt crust on beef. I can do it when my Dad's Brazilian students are watching me, but when I try to do it unattended it's completely inedible. I have no idea why it's so different, because I swear I'm doing the same thing and using the same amount, but the last time I did it I spit out the first bite because it was so salty, and a beautiful ribeye followed it into the trash. I just about cried because I really wanted that ribeye!

Is this the part where you guys tell me it's because girls can't grill?!
Miss, don't ever question your grilling skills. From what you've share with us so far, you have nothing to be concerned about.

On occasion, I have had a rock salt prime rib turn out to be what I felt was too salty, and this is coming from someone that is a recovering saltaholic.

The last one I fixed, between Christmas and New Year's day, was as good as any I have done. I made one slight change, and that was adding a bottle of red wine along with the worcestershire sauce, over the top of the meat before adding the salt, when prepping for cooking. The resulting flavor was outstanding, and I feel the wine was what brought out more of the beef flavor. Maybe it wasn't, but something was different, and the guests it was served to were well pleased.

When you do another one, please share your results with us. Good luck and keep cooking!
waynecountywolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

Gonna try this tonight with thighs-an hour may not be long enough for thighs but we will see.
What is the difference in using white versus apple cider vinegar?
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
Bell Tower Grey
waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Gonna try this tonight with thighs-an hour may not be long enough for thighs but we will see.
What is the difference in using white versus apple cider vinegar?

In my totally non-scientific opinion, the white vinegar imparts just a little more bite in the protein than cider. Not sure why, but I picked that up almost instantly. Certainly a nice little diversion. Let us know what you think.
iwenc
@tootie, it is probably a good thing that walnuts are a healthy snack, but after I've coated them in sugar and fried them, I'm not so sure about that, especially with the volume I ingest, even if I only eat the "ugly" ones!

@BTG, thanks for the encouragement on the rock salt. I'll give it a try again sometime and hope that I'm not ruining a good ribeye. I need to get some hints from our Brazilian friends. BTW,you are both one of my favorite/least favorite posters on this thread. You throw up all these amazing, mouthwatering pictures of fantastic food to torture me when I'm always at work or somewhere else hours away from anything decent to eat when I see them. I've had many a fit of BTG-induced hanger, and I'm fairly certain I've come close to digesting my spleen from awaiting a decent meal afterward!

Thanks everyone for the fantastic recipes and pictures, please keep it up!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.