Favorite Recipes: Grill, Stovetop, Oven, etc....Share Them Here

19,451 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FlossyDFlynt
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Mormad

Civilized
Mormad said:

Excellent work! How long you end up cooking it?
packgrad
Mormad said:

That looks delicious. Tough day for Wolfpack BB and QB alums in NFL. Glad to see the water cooler team pulling out a W.
Mormad
What a great recipe. Cooked 2 hrs and 35 minutes (2:15 at 275, 20 minutes at 375). The beef was medium well and I'm a medium rare guy, so could probably cook for shorter time. The flavors are wonderful. Used a decent 2012 cab, pepper bacon from fresh mkt, and stew beef from fresh mkt.
AlleyPack
Civilized said:

AlleyPack said:

This is a simple "appetizer" type of recipe --- and is perfect for watching Wolfpack football or basketball...

Put all of this in a crockpot:

A bag of meatballs (slightly thawed)
A bottle of chili sauce (12-16 oz)
A jar of grape jelly (12-16 oz)

Cook on low in the crockpot for a few hours.

If you have a particularly large crockpot and want to double all the portions, all the better.

A staffer of mine made this for our Christmas get-together a few years ago.

I don't think I've ever had anything where the delta was so wide between how bad a dish sounded, and how delicious it actually was. So good.

Hmm... I guess the "grape jelly" sounds kinda weird? haha

Well, as you'll attest, it simply adds a bit of "sweetness" to the overall taste -- but isn't overpowering at all.
I've pretty much NEVER had someone taste this meatball recipe and NOT say, "OMG, these are amazing... can I have the recipe??"

So if anyone is hesitant, just give it a try.
Quick and simple, and if you have a crowd of people coming over, they'll inhale it all -- guaranteed.
Civilized
Mormad said:

What a great recipe. Cooked 2 hrs and 35 minutes (2:15 at 275, 20 minutes at 375). The beef was medium well and I'm a medium rare guy, so could probably cook for shorter time. The flavors are wonderful. Used a decent 2012 cab, pepper bacon from fresh mkt, and stew beef from fresh mkt.

That's awesome man. Fiddle with it and offer up suggestions about how to refine it. Glad the beta test went pretty well!

Like packgrad said, rough day for Pack sports and alums but great food helps. And liquor.
Bell Tower Grey
Wife and daughter are working on pizza dough for later this afternoon. Can't post a recipe, because my daughter is the baker / dough maker. However, I will post pics when it's ready.

Now to decide on the toppings for mine, since I already know they will go the Margherita route with theirs (fresh mozzarella, basil, evoo, and parmigiano-reggiano cheese) Biggest decision for them will be either red sauce or white sauce base.
cowboypack02
Don't underestimate the power of fresh ingredients. I go to my local market for all of my meats, including deer. I buy my fish, shrimp, and scallops fresh, and my vegetables come fresh from my local farmers market.

There is a huge difference in taste
Bell Tower Grey
Carnivore's delight. Beef, bacon, pork sausage, crushed red pepper, parm and mozz on garlic buttered, crispy crust. Yep, I took two slices first.

Civilized
That looks awesome. Kamado or oven?
Bell Tower Grey
Oven. 450 and parchment paper on a stone.
Mormad
That looks absolutely perfect
iwenc
Here's another marinade for the Korean BBQ short ribs (Kalbi). I've trialed a bunch of different versions and have found the fruit enzymes do a better job of tenderizing than Coke or Dr Pepper that are a part of a lot of other family recipes. Costco in Raleigh has had the flanken cut short ribs consistently lately at $8.99/lb, vacuum packed in 3.5-4# packages. HMart in Cary also has them by the pound, either plain or already marinated. After grilling, I use kitchen shears to cut between each rib bone so that there are smaller pieces you can eat with your fingers or easily cut with a knife and fork.These are great for tailgating. I have gotten rave reviews for these when I have made them for football. I've also included a recipe for coconut rice that I usually serve alongside at the tailgate, plus a spicy pork recipe too. The aromas in the air as all of these things are cooking will make everyone instantly very hungry! Our habit at home is to have Korean BBQ with white rice, Romaine or butter lettuce leaves for wraps, grilled onions and jalapeno slices, kimchee, other pickled vegetables, and gojuchang (Korean sweet and spicy pepper paste). I am Chinese so I go super Asian on this meal, but the meats are really enjoyable even when served without all the trappings. Leftovers, if you have any, are great on salads or sandwiches later, or chopped up to make a delicious fried rice.

Good luck and good eating to all!

Kalbi with Asian Pear and Fuji Apple (adapted from Billy Parisi's recipe)

1/2 peeled yellow onion
5 large garlic cloves
1 tsp fresh ginger, trimmed
1 cup water
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tbsp mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine, Harris Teeter has it)
1/4 cup honey
3 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp sesame seeds (tastes better if already toasted vs raw)
1 peeled and seeded Asian pear (Harris Teeter and Costco usually have them, or any Asian grocery)
1 peeled and seeded Fuji apple
1/2 peeled kiwi
1/2 tsp ground pepper
3lbs kalbi flanken cut beef short ribs
optional garnish - sesame seeds and green onions sliced fine on the bias
optional flavor add - 1 tsp salt and 2 tbsp sugar if you want to intensify flavor (perfectly fine without)

Place all ingredients but the beef and garnish into a blender and process until smooth. Pour into a sturdy Ziploc bag. Remove short ribs from packaging and place in marinade, make sure each piece has separated from the vacuum packed mass and has contact with the marinade. Refrigerate and marinate overnight or up to 12 hours (I've gone longer up to 24h without issue, but depending on what soy sauce you use, you run the risk of the meat getting too salty the longer you go). Grill at 450-550F for 3-4 minutes per side, tops, or until you have some nice grill marks. Slice or cut as you wish, then garnish with sesame seeds and green onion. Sometimes we marinate a second batch of short ribs in the marinade after adding a bit more soy sauce and sesame oil. The marinated short ribs do well in the freezer if you want to have them ready for another day. We vacuum pack and gift to relatives who are bad cooks or save them for ourselves.

Coconut Rice

2 cups white rice, rinsed well and drained
1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
1-1/2 cups water
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp kosher salt (or a little less regular salt)
optional garnish - toasted sesame seeds

This makes amazingly rich and fragrant rice that isn't overwhelmingly coconutty, but is really delicious. I have used sushi, jasmine, and other white rices with equal success. I make this in a rice cooker (Again, I'm Chinese, and I think they take my Asian card away if I don't have one), and simply toss everything in the unit, push start, and wait until done. However, it's easy to make on a stovetop. Place all ingredients in a pot over medium heat, bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer for 18-20 minutes until rice is tender. Don't peek until that point so that you don't lose heat and steam. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 10 minutes. Before serving, fluff with a fork and add optional sesame seed garnish.

Spicy Pork Bulkogi (from Jin Joo Lee)

1 lb pork butt or shoulder, sliced thin
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp gochujang (Korean sweet and spicy red pepper bean paste, any Asian store, I think Harris Teeter has it)
2 tbsp cooking rice wine or mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine for cooking, Harris Teeter has it)
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sesame seeds (roasted or toasted better than raw)
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp chopped green onions
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Korean red chili powder, plus another 1tsp if you want really spicy (gochukaroo, any Asian store, not sure if Harris Teeter has it, but you can get close by just grinding up a bunch of red chili flakes)
1/4 tsp black pepper
optional garnish - toasted sesame seeds and green onions thinly sliced on the bias

You can mix all the rough chopped ingredients except the pork and garnish, then pour into a sturdy Ziploc bag, but we tend to just put everything in the blender because we are too lazy to chop the garlic and onions. Add the pork to the marinade and refrigerate overnight. Grill pork directly on grate if your slices are larger, a grill frying pan, or saute indoors until cooked through. You can saute with some sliced onions if you want extra flavor. We love this marinade and usually throw some chicken drumsticks in after we pull the pork out to cook or vacuum seal and freeze for later. We marinate the chicken for a few days, then either bake or grill until done.

SexualChocolate
I'm going to make the beef short ribs this weekend at the beach. Don't know which recipe of the two I'll do but I'll let you know after I try them. Thank you all for the great recipes. Keep them coming!
iwenc
SexualChocolate said:

I'm going to make the beef short ribs this weekend at the beach. Don't know which recipe of the two I'll do but I'll let you know after I try them. Thank you all for the great recipes. Keep them coming!
Good luck, you can't go wrong either way. Jealous you'll be at the beach. We grilled them during a vacation to Emerald Isle this summer and made the neighbors jealous with the fantastic grilling aromas, so we shared. Good times!
packgrad
I'm going to try your pork bulgogi recipe. Sounds great. I haven't settled on one that knocks my socks off yet. Thanks!
SexualChocolate
Ha, that's where I'm going this weekend. I'll continue on the tradition to make all of Emerald Isle jealous because of the great smells coming from my grill.
FlossyDFlynt
Bolognese

3 celery stalks
3 carrots, peeled
1 yellow onion
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 big can of crushed tomatoes
1 big can tomato sauce
1 small can of tomato paste
1.5lb 80/20 ground beef
1lb italian sausage
1 bottle dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 big spoonful of chicken better than bouillon paste
dried herbs

Rough chop vegetables and put in a food processor until finely chopped. I usually do each individually

Brown the meat in dutch oven on high heat. Half way through browning, add the tomato paste

Once the eat starts to fry, deglaze with some of the white wine.

Add vegetables and garlic, reducing the heat to medium. If you need more liquid, add more wine.

After 5-8 minutes, add tomatoes, half the bottle of wine, and better than bouillon paste.

Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 3 hours. In the last 30-60 minutes, add herbs and heavy cream. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over pasta of your choice. One of my favorite things to freeze as well
Civilized
I'm loving the direction and flavor of this thread.
iwenc
FDF, your Bolognese sauce recipe looks great! Is there a specific white wine that you favor for it, and do you prefer sweet or hot Italian sausage?
iwenc
packgrad said:

I'm going to try your pork bulgogi recipe. Sounds great. I haven't settled on one that knocks my socks off yet. Thanks!
Make sure you use cuts of pork that have some marbling. Something like loin will be too lean. If you like it really spicy, use more of the red chili powder or use spicier versions of the gochujiang. The mild version that I buy is already pretty spicy (have to keep the heat low for my Mom), but I like hot or super hot. I also eat things like ghost peppers that other people say taste like eating molten lava, so take that for what it's worth. Let me know how it goes!
FlossyDFlynt
iwenc said:

FDF, your Bolognese sauce recipe looks great! Is there a specific white wine that you favor for it, and do you prefer sweet or hot Italian sausage?
I usually use a Chardonnay (Kendall Jackson or something similar, whatever I can find a decent deal on) and hot Italian sausage, but I like more spice. Ive used both and they are both fine. As far as dried herbs go, I usually add red pepper flakes as well for some extra heat.
Bell Tower Grey
I have a steak taco recipe that one of my college roommates mom shared with me during one of my visits with their family after we graduated. She fixed these one day for lunch; I have used it ever since. My family loves them to this day, and they, too, use the recipe with their own families. Since my wife can no longer eat red meat due to Lyme Disease, I make some with pork loin strips instead of steak for her.

STEAK / PORK TACOS

In a bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons soy sauce with 1 tablespoon each finely grated garlic and fresh ginger. Brush over 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak cut into 5-inch lengths; let stand for 20 minutes. Cook the steak in a large cast-iron skillet over high heat, turning once, until medium-rare, 6 minutes.Let rest 5 minutes. Saute chopped onion in the beef juices in the pan, then set them aside. Slice and serve with tortillas, pineapple, onion and cilantro. Use the tortilla of your choice with the protein.
packgrad
This is a simple flank steak recipe that's a staple in my family now. Simple but good. When we were kids, our parents divorced. As was typical in many Southern families, my mom was the cook of the family. This was the first thing our dad cooked for us that won rave reviews from us 4 kids. Now adults, whenever any of us cook flank steak, we use Dad's recipe for at least one of the steaks.

Flank Steak

Ingredients:

Flank Steak- at least a pound

Poke steak on both sides thoroughly with a fork. In a 2-cup measuring cup, pour 2/3 cup of Kraft Zesty Italian dressing and 1/3 cup of red wine. Stir in a packet of Adolf's Original Meat Marinade. Pour over steak and let sit for at least 30 minutes but nor over an hour. Flip steak over and spoon mixture on tip every 15 minutes or so.

Grill until done, about 15 or 20 minutes. To serve, slice diagonally.

Civilized
Nice! Love a seasoned flank steak. Will be trying this too.

Adolf's available at most groceries?
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower has shown us some delicious looking home made pizza over the past couple of months. My wife makes some great pizza too.

Home made crust, cooked on a stone in the oven. This is mine from last night. Cooks 4 different pizzas for us and our two kids. Meatballs, turkey pepperoni, mushrooms and peppers. A real treat !
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower has shown us some delicious looking home made pizza over the past couple of months. My wife makes some great pizza too.

Home made crust, cooked on a stone in the oven. This is mine from last night. Cooks 4 different pizzas for us and our two kids. Meatballs, turkey pepperoni, mushrooms and peppers. A real treat !

That's a great looking pie, Tootie! Gotta love it when you have a house full of good cooks.
Tootie4Pack
Yes sir, you are correct !!

My wife made her home made minestrone soup last night. Great meal on a cold and damp Saturday night.
Civilized
Love it! Doing homemade vegetable beef soup tonight!
packgrad
iwenc said:

packgrad said:

Make sure you use cuts of pork that have some marbling. Something like loin will be too lean. If you like it really spicy, use more of the red chili powder or use spicier versions of the gochujiang. The mild version that I buy is already pretty spicy (have to keep the heat low for my Mom), but I like hot or super hot. I also eat things like ghost peppers that other people say taste like eating molten lava, so take that for what it's worth. Let me know how it goes!

Dude. I'm an idiot. I always buy my gochujang at the Asian supermarket in my area. Being that the labels are mostly not in English I've always kind of found the brand I use, grab it, and go. This morning when I purchased it your post resonated with me as I was walking away and saw the "extra spicy" in the top corner. I turned around went back and sure enough, they have different heat levels. Lol. I'm such an idiot. We go through a few containers a year and I've literally never noticed until today. Sometimes my wife will be like "why is it so much spicier this time?" and I'll respond "I used the same recipe. I guess it's just a spicy batch". Good stuff. She's going to get a lot of mileage out of this when she finds out.

Fwiw, target date for your pork bulgogi is Thursday. I'm excited to try it. My recipes have been slightly more basic so looking forward to trying yours.
iwenc
packgrad said:

iwenc said:

packgrad said:

Dude. I'm an idiot. I always buy my gochujang at the Asian supermarket in my area. Being that the labels are mostly not in English I've always kind of found the brand I use, grab it, and go. This morning when I purchased it your post resonated with me as I was walking away and saw the "extra spicy" in the top corner. I turned around went back and sure enough, they have different heat levels. Lol. I'm such an idiot. We go through a few containers a year and I've literally never noticed until today. Sometimes my wife will be like "why is it so much spicier this time?" and I'll respond "I used the same recipe. I guess it's just a spicy batch". Good stuff. She's going to get a lot of mileage out of this when she finds out.

Fwiw, target date for your pork bulgogi is Thursday. I'm excited to try it. My recipes have been slightly more basic so looking forward to trying yours.
Ha, if it makes you feel any better, the last time I bought gochujang is the first time I noticed varying heat levels, so it's not just you! The Korean brands are definitely spicier than the others, even with the mild ones.

Let me know how it goes, I really love this recipe, and it was a great addition to the kalbi one that we make all the time. We've had fun grilling a ton of meats during COVID, and I even gifted some friends and family with tabletop grills for Christmas so they could replicate the true Korean BBQ experience at home while eating out is a less attractive option for the time being.
Bell Tower Grey
My wife has perfected her version of shrimp and grits. However, she won't share the recipe. Not with me, our daughters, her sisters....anyone. Yet. However, tonight she fixed that dish again. It's as good as any as I have eaten anywhere. We have fresh shrimp from a local fish monger. Didn't have ham, so she subbed bacon tonight. And used grits from (for the first time, but not last) Carolina Grits Company in Rocky Mount.

Served it with a side of simple garlic toast.

At whatever time I get the recipe, I'll share. Until then, here's a pic of our dinner tonight.

Civilized
iwenc said:

Here's another marinade for the Korean BBQ short ribs (Kalbi). I've trialed a bunch of different versions and have found the fruit enzymes do a better job of tenderizing than Coke or Dr Pepper that are a part of a lot of other family recipes. Costco in Raleigh has had the flanken cut short ribs consistently lately at $8.99/lb, vacuum packed in 3.5-4# packages. HMart in Cary also has them by the pound, either plain or already marinated. After grilling, I use kitchen shears to cut between each rib bone so that there are smaller pieces you can eat with your fingers or easily cut with a knife and fork.These are great for tailgating. I have gotten rave reviews for these when I have made them for football. I've also included a recipe for coconut rice that I usually serve alongside at the tailgate, plus a spicy pork recipe too. The aromas in the air as all of these things are cooking will make everyone instantly very hungry! Our habit at home is to have Korean BBQ with white rice, Romaine or butter lettuce leaves for wraps, grilled onions and jalapeno slices, kimchee, other pickled vegetables, and gojuchang (Korean sweet and spicy pepper paste). I am Chinese so I go super Asian on this meal, but the meats are really enjoyable even when served without all the trappings. Leftovers, if you have any, are great on salads or sandwiches later, or chopped up to make a delicious fried rice.

Good luck and good eating to all!

Kalbi with Asian Pear and Fuji Apple (adapted from Billy Parisi's recipe)

1/2 peeled yellow onion
5 large garlic cloves
1 tsp fresh ginger, trimmed
1 cup water
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tbsp mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine, Harris Teeter has it)
1/4 cup honey
3 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp sesame seeds (tastes better if already toasted vs raw)
1 peeled and seeded Asian pear (Harris Teeter and Costco usually have them, or any Asian grocery)
1 peeled and seeded Fuji apple
1/2 peeled kiwi
1/2 tsp ground pepper
3lbs kalbi flanken cut beef short ribs
optional garnish - sesame seeds and green onions sliced fine on the bias
optional flavor add - 1 tsp salt and 2 tbsp sugar if you want to intensify flavor (perfectly fine without)

Place all ingredients but the beef and garnish into a blender and process until smooth. Pour into a sturdy Ziploc bag. Remove short ribs from packaging and place in marinade, make sure each piece has separated from the vacuum packed mass and has contact with the marinade. Refrigerate and marinate overnight or up to 12 hours (I've gone longer up to 24h without issue, but depending on what soy sauce you use, you run the risk of the meat getting too salty the longer you go). Grill at 450-550F for 3-4 minutes per side, tops, or until you have some nice grill marks. Slice or cut as you wish, then garnish with sesame seeds and green onion. Sometimes we marinate a second batch of short ribs in the marinade after adding a bit more soy sauce and sesame oil. The marinated short ribs do well in the freezer if you want to have them ready for another day. We vacuum pack and gift to relatives who are bad cooks or save them for ourselves.

Coconut Rice

2 cups white rice, rinsed well and drained
1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
1-1/2 cups water
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp kosher salt (or a little less regular salt)
optional garnish - toasted sesame seeds

This makes amazingly rich and fragrant rice that isn't overwhelmingly coconutty, but is really delicious. I have used sushi, jasmine, and other white rices with equal success. I make this in a rice cooker (Again, I'm Chinese, and I think they take my Asian card away if I don't have one), and simply toss everything in the unit, push start, and wait until done. However, it's easy to make on a stovetop. Place all ingredients in a pot over medium heat, bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer for 18-20 minutes until rice is tender. Don't peek until that point so that you don't lose heat and steam. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 10 minutes. Before serving, fluff with a fork and add optional sesame seed garnish.

Spicy Pork Bulkogi (from Jin Joo Lee)

1 lb pork butt or shoulder, sliced thin
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp gochujang (Korean sweet and spicy red pepper bean paste, any Asian store, I think Harris Teeter has it)
2 tbsp cooking rice wine or mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine for cooking, Harris Teeter has it)
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sesame seeds (roasted or toasted better than raw)
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp chopped green onions
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Korean red chili powder, plus another 1tsp if you want really spicy (gochukaroo, any Asian store, not sure if Harris Teeter has it, but you can get close by just grinding up a bunch of red chili flakes)
1/4 tsp black pepper
optional garnish - toasted sesame seeds and green onions thinly sliced on the bias

You can mix all the rough chopped ingredients except the pork and garnish, then pour into a sturdy Ziploc bag, but we tend to just put everything in the blender because we are too lazy to chop the garlic and onions. Add the pork to the marinade and refrigerate overnight. Grill pork directly on grate if your slices are larger, a grill frying pan, or saute indoors until cooked through. You can saute with some sliced onions if you want extra flavor. We love this marinade and usually throw some chicken drumsticks in after we pull the pork out to cook or vacuum seal and freeze for later. We marinate the chicken for a few days, then either bake or grill until done.

Good lord.

Favorited. Thanks for the effort to pull this together for us!
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

My wife has perfected her version of shrimp and grits. However, she won't share the recipe. Not with me, our daughters, her sisters....anyone. Yet. However, tonight she fixed that dish again. It's as good as any as I have eaten anywhere. We have fresh shrimp from a local fish monger. Didn't have ham, so she subbed bacon tonight. And used grits from (for the first time, but not last) Carolina Grits Company in Rocky Mount.

Served it with a side of simple garlic toast.

At whatever time I get the recipe, I'll share. Until then, here's a pic of our dinner tonight.

BTG, I love me some shrimp and grits, and your wife's look delicious !

I'm sure that you enjoyed that meal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.