Favorite Recipes: Grill, Stovetop, Oven, etc....Share Them Here

18,899 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FlossyDFlynt
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Prime rib on the Joetisserie.

Turned out wonderful.

Bell Tower Grey
packgrad said:

Prime rib on the Joetisserie.

Turned out wonderful.

Yes it did! Great job; it looks perfect.
ncsupack1
Looks great!
TheStorm
JocoPack said:

Here you go BTG

COWBOY CANDY

2.5lbs jalepenos
2 cups apple cider vinegar
4 cups white sugar
1tsp tumeric
1tsp celery seed
4tsp granulated garlic
1tsp ground cayenne pepper

Wash and drain peppers. Cut into 1/8 - 1/4" slices.
Add the vinegar, sugar and spices to a large stock pot.
Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Add the peppers and simmer for 4 minutes.
Use a slotted spoon to load jalapenos into washed and sterilized jars. Leave 1/4 inch head space.
Once peppers are loaded into jars, turn heat up under the syrup again and boil hard for 6 more minutes.

Ladle additional syrup over top of peppers in jars, leaving the head space.
Wipe edges of jars.
Place lids and bands on jars. Finger-tip tighten.
DO NOT throw out the the remaining syrup....mix it with some mayo for some spicy aioli or brush it on chicken,etc.
Place the jars in the canner with hot water in it. Bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 10 minutes for half pints, 15 minutes for pints. Turn off burner and let stand in hot water for 5 more minutes. Then remove and leave stand on counter overnight.

The next day check for seal. If center of lid flexes up and down, they must be stored in the refrigerator. Place sealed jars in a cool, dry place.
Try to resist the temptation to open them for at least 2 months...we do 3-4 sometimes to really let the flavor develop.

I don't know if the guy is still around or not, but there used to be a guy down here on the coast that was trying to go commercial making and distributing those under the name of "Cape Fear Pirate Candy" (and had a couple of different iterations of them). Comped me 2-3 jars because of some assistance I was giving him at the time, and man… are those things ever addictive! (and deliciously awesome to say the least)

Edited to add: Here he is… http://www.capefearpiratecandy.com/
TheStorm
Yum.
TheStorm
FlossyDFlynt said:

Fairly certain this is the one I bought

https://www.amazon.com/King-Kooker-Propane-Outdoor-Package/dp/B07YSV5WFJ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=turkey+fryer&qid=1635796478&qsid=131-9248902-8001636&sr=8-4&sres=B08HVJZRQ5%2CB07YSV5WFJ%2CB088PKVBDM%2CB07YSTYSKQ%2CB07MG5XNR9%2CB071VT9RRR%2CB01M7QZMA6%2CB0009K8SJ6%2CB08MY5KYSQ%2CB00062VZMY%2CB0000BXHL0%2CB01LY0RMBG%2CB09GXDS89D%2CB00B4BN9PM%2CB07GW1H6YF%2CB07X6JDBSW&srpt=DEEP_FRYER

Couple tips if anyone is frying a turkey for the first time:
-Kind of stating the obvious, but DO NOT put a frozen turkey in one. I usually let mine defrost at least 3 to 4 days in the fridge before starting the process.
-Once the oil is up to temp, turn off the burner before you drop it. If there is any overflow (and there probably will be), its best to have the flame off. Let the oil settle before turning it back on
-From the setup in the picture (which is the same one I have), hook the turkey through the body cavity. Using the coat hanger looking thing, I use a broom through the coat hanger to lower it into the oil with another person so you dont have to be close to the hot oil
-Once the oil settles, get the flame back up on high. The oil temp is gonna drop a decent amount once you get the turkey in
Turkey Frying 101.

Great job there… only thing I do slightly different from the above is to take my frozen turkey right before I start defrosting it and submerge it in the pot with water in it and determine where you want your ideal oil level while frying to be (enough to have an entire turkey submerged but also leaving plenty of room for your peanut oil to boil without any overflow)… then remove the turkey and mark (or note) the level of the water so that you can replicate that level with your oil a few days later.
ncsupack1
I have never fried a turkey but have done many shrimp boils using a setup like this. My BIL does a great fried turkey though. I think I bought my set up at Agri Supply many years ago.
Bell Tower Grey
https://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-oil-less-turkey-fryer-17102065

I have a traditional turkey fryer like the ones various posts above. However, my brother-in-law got one of these for Christmas. He's planning to use it this coming weekend for the first time.

I have a feeling if it's as good as advertised, then I will add one to my arsenal pretty soon. Just the fact of not having to deal with boiling oil is quite appealing. My local ACE hardware carries them.
Sierrawolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

I have a traditional turkey fryer like the ones various posts above. However, my brother-in-law got one of these for Christmas. He's planning to use it this coming weekend for the first time.

I have a feeling if it's as good as advertised, then I will add one to my arsenal pretty soon. Just the fact of not having to deal with boiling oil is quite appealing. My local ACE hardware carries them.

We used one this Thanksgiving and it turned out great. It will save a ton of money from not buying gallons of peanut oil.
Bell Tower Grey
Sierrawolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

We used one this Thanksgiving and it turned out great. It will save a ton of money from not buying gallons of peanut oil.
Thanks for that information.

Was the turkey dried out at all? Did you brine it first?
JocoPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Funny you post this because I'm going to get one this week if I can get by to my local ACE. My uncle used one at Thanksgiving and it was some of the better turkey I've had. Had a coworker use one at Christmas that also turned out great. Like you said not having to deal with a huge pot of boiling oil is worth it to me, especially with kids running around.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Sierrawolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

Sierrawolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

No brine..just dry rub. It was very juicy. I was skeptical but it turned out awesome. Would definitely recommend.
Bell Tower Grey
Sierrawolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Sierrawolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

No brine..just dry rub. It was very juicy. I was skeptical but it turned out awesome. Would definitely recommend.
Thank you.
Bell Tower Grey
Question - have any of you ever brined chicken in yogurt for a couple of hours before cooking it?

Mrs. BTG found a recipe that calls for seasoning chicken parts with the dry ingredients of choice, then placing the chicken into Greek yogurt for a couple of hours up to 24, before oven baking it. It's supposed to as good as pan fried, but without the hassle of grease, etc.

I'll be on store duty in a little while to pick things up for this, and wanted some feedback from y'all. Thanks.
FlossyDFlynt
Bell Tower Grey said:

Question - have any of you ever brined chicken in yogurt for a couple of hours before cooking it?

Mrs. BTG found a recipe that calls for seasoning chicken parts with the dry ingredients of choice, then placing the chicken into Greek yogurt for a couple of hours up to 24, before oven baking it. It's supposed to as good as pan fried, but without the hassle of grease, etc.

I'll be on store duty in a little while to pick things up for this, and wanted some feedback from y'all. Thanks.
Ive done it with a greek chicken recipe before. Fairly certain it was this recipe (https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-tzatziki-bowls/). I will say Ive never baked the chicken, but do it on the grill. As with almost all chicken marinated in anything, I do it on a lower temp for a longer time as to try to not burn the marinade. I will say this type of chicken is definitely in my rotation, although I only do the chicken from the above recipe and make bowls with my own stuff.

Id say go for it. I dont see any reason why baking it wouldnt work.
Bell Tower Grey
FlossyDFlynt said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Ive done it with a greek chicken recipe before. Fairly certain it was this recipe (https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-tzatziki-bowls/). I will say Ive never baked the chicken, but do it on the grill. As with almost all chicken marinated in anything, I do it on a lower temp for a longer time as to try to not burn the marinade. I will say this type of chicken is definitely in my rotation, although I only do the chicken from the above recipe and make bowls with my own stuff.

Id say go for it. I dont see any reason why baking it wouldnt work.
Thanks. Looks like it's on the menu for Monday.
WolfpackCPA
Same - helps keep grilled chicken juicy have never tried it baked.

Greek yogurt and soy sauce then whatever Asian seasonings you like.
Bell Tower Grey
Welp...we had the oven baked chicken tonight. Once it was removed from the yogurt brine and placed into the baking dish, we sprinkled it with panko bread crumbs before baking. It came out with a crunchy crust, although different than traditional fried chicken. Both the white and dark meat pieces had good, moist flavor but were missing something. Neither of us could decide what it was. Next time I will experiment with maybe just salt & pepper on the chicken before the yogurt goes on. It's worth one more try.

There was one breast and three thighs left from what was cooked. Tomorrow I will chop that up, with skin on, and use for chicken cheese nachos for a light dinner.
Bell Tower Grey
Thought I'd try to resurrect this thread.

Mrs. BTG is fixing a traditional Moravian chicken pie for dinner tonight. One of her roommates from Meredith was from W-S, and she shared her grandmother's chicken pie recipe with all the girls in the apartment. It's been a while since she made it, but it is wonderful.

She's making extra gravy to go with homemade mashed potatoes, honey glazed carrots, and a salad. Good comfort food for a cool Saturday evening.
Bell Tower Grey
Wasn't sure where to put this, but Sunnyside Oyster Bar in Williamston will probably close for the season after this weekend. They say they can't get oysters any more, but will still finish out with shrimp and whatever else they have left.

I'm somewhat surprised by that because T & W in Swansboro seems to have a good, steady supply of God's goodness that is oysters.
Bell Tower Grey
Picked up two pounds of shrimp and a pound of sea scallops this morning from the Wanchese fishmonger. These were in the Atlantic on Thursday. Will probably grill them, but still debating with Mrs. about how she wants them done.

eta: The shrimp will be steamed and the scallops pan seared. I'm good with that.

Sides of fresh mixed greens salad from our garden, topped with bacon and strawberries, and corn on the cob.
FlossyDFlynt
Sending this back to the top. Been doing it a few years, but trying to do at least 20 new dishes this year. Got a pasta cutter and a meat grinder for Christmas, but havent tried either yet.
Bell Tower Grey
FlossyDFlynt said:

Sending this back to the top. Been doing it a few years, but trying to do at least 20 new dishes this year. Got a pasta cutter and a meat grinder for Christmas, but havent tried either yet.
I bought a meat grinder severaly years ago, and love it. Mrs. wanted the pasta maker attachment so she got that as well. She and one of our daughters make some type of homemade bread almost every week. You won't regret getting those
FlossyDFlynt
Anyone making anything for the Super Bowl?
Bell Tower Grey
FlossyDFlynt said:

Anyone making anything for the Super Bowl?
Keeping it simple. Lil smokies, boiled shrimp, veggie tray, mini tacos. Beer, soft drinks and tea.

eta that two of our sons and their wives are now planning to come over.. One is bringing the wings; the other is bringing loaded nachos and fried apple pies for dessert.

Simple gone wild.

Bell Tower Grey
Anyone else got a super bowl menu set ?
FlossyDFlynt
Gonna do buffalo chicken meatballs and chorizo queso dip

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.