Favorite Recipes: Grill, Stovetop, Oven, etc....Share Them Here

18,893 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FlossyDFlynt
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OK, folks. Here it is.

Feel free to post your favorite recipes - your own creation, family passed down ones, from a favorite restaurant, whatever it is food wise that you like and enjoy sharing with others. As we have seen in other threads here, there are some pretty good cooks here (grilling and smoking, anyway). This is not limited to those types of cooking - we all like to eat and good food is prepared in may other ways besides grilling and smoking.

Cite your sources if you wish - however, you're not obligated to. Let's enjoy this; add new recipes as you learn or find them. Please keep it food related only. Thank you.

I will lead it off with my home ground hamburgers: I keep them simple and like to enjoy the flavor of the meat.

I use a 50 / 50 mix of chuck steak and beef rib meat, then add some fat pieces for flavor. That's an eye test and "feel" thing. The grinder parts have to be cold, and I cube the meat up and put it in the freezer (just to chill) before I grind it.

I put it through the grinder twice, then back in the freezer for a few minutes.

While the charcoal is getting hot, I pat out the burgers (about 8 to 10 oz. each). I salt them on both sides with kosher salt, and just a splash of worcestershire sauce. No pepper (it burns too easily).

Grill to desired doneness. I like mine med. rare, Mrs. BTG likes hers med. well).

I grill the buns too, then add desired condiments when ready to serve.
wolfman18
Filet pan seared and finished in the oven on a cast iron skillet. Very simple but awesome...

I go to the butchers market here in the area to get my meat.

Take meat out of the fridge and let rest for 30 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper. I make a garlic/rosemary butter as well.

Get the cast iron piping hot until it starts smoking. Preheat the oven to 400.

Sear for 2 minutes on each side. I throw a slab of the garlic butter on top, then put in the oven for 5 1/2 minutes. Take out and cover for 10 minutes. Perfect medium rare.

Cast iron is what I use 90 percent of the time for my steaks.
packgrad
I bought a grinder last year that, to this point, I've used exclusively for processing venison. For your mix when you mention beef rib meat, can you clarify that a bit for me? Do you mean ribeye, short ribs, etc?

I also want to start processing sausage. If anybody has any tried and true methods for that I'd love to hear them. I've made venison breakfast sausage, that was pretty good, and venison snack sticks using a cabelas cure, that were quite good.

Here is a bacon jalapeo cornbread recipe we make. I think it's a modified Emeril recipe, but can't remember.

Ingredients
1 pound bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 jalapenos, seeded and diced
3 cups cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
10 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degree F.

Brown chopped bacon in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add the garlic and jalapeno and saute until softened.

In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper and mix well. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir just to combine. Quickly pour the cornmeal batter into the skillet.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until firm and golden brown on top. Let sit for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cutting board. Cut into wedges and serve hot with butter on the side.
Bell Tower Grey
packgrad, I usually use the beef short rib meat. I have used ribeye steak before, especially when the short ribs were either limited in stock or unavailable. I can't tell too much difference between the two.

I have made some pork sausage here in the past. It's been a couple of months since I last made any, because I have a friend locally that makes it every week and his is good.
AlleyPack
This is a simple "appetizer" type of recipe --- and is perfect for watching Wolfpack football or basketball...

Put all of this in a crockpot:

A bag of meatballs (slightly thawed)
A bottle of chili sauce (12-16 oz)
A jar of grape jelly (12-16 oz)

Cook on low in the crockpot for a few hours.

If you have a particularly large crockpot and want to double all the portions, all the better.
TraCha4
Great topic. I have nothing of importance to share but I am really looking forward to trying some of these listed.
Bell Tower Grey
My brother got a gift certificate two Christmases ago to attend one of Myron Mixon's cooking schools. The one he attended was at GrillBillies in Wendell. There was ongoing discussion during the day of various recipes, and he came home with one for Chris Lilly's Scallop Burnt Ends. (Lilly married into the Big Bob Gibson BBQ family down in Alabama). I have yet to attempt this on my own, but my brother has it mastered. I hope if you try it. If it turns out as good for you as it has for him....this stuff will make a man cry.

Scallop Burnt Ends from Chris Lilly

12 Scallops
12 Slices Beef Brisket fully cooked (preferably from the point of the brisket)

Dry Rub
1/2 TBL Salt
1/2 TBL Paprika
1/2 TBL Black Pepper
1/2 TBL Sugar
3/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Oregano
1/8 tsp Coriander

DIRECTIONS
Wrap each scallop with a slice of brisket and secure with a wooden toothpick. Season the exposed scallop lightly with dry rub.

Place wrapped scallops on a medium hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.

Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 minutes
Serves 6 (2 scallops per serving)
Bell Tower Grey
I put this shrimp burger recipe together one afternoon when I picked up fresh shrimp from our fishmonger.

About 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs
1 egg lightly beaten
peanut oil

Coarse chop 2/3 of the shrimp and set aside. Take remaining shrimp and garlic clove and blend together in a food processor. Add this mixture to the chopped shrimp, then add all the other ingredients, until mixed thoroughly, but loosely packed. Divide into patties.

Heat the oil, then fry the burgers till golden on each side, maybe 3 or 4 minutes per side.

Serve on bun of choice, I usually lightly butter then toast them with a little homemade cocktail sauce

For an added treat, add in some cooked bacon to the mix before cooking burgers..

jadawson
A good pasta will always be my favorite meal.

cacio e pepe is one of the simplest dishes to make and it's so easy. Just cheese and pepper pasta. It was a staple of my bachelor days.

For something requiring a little more effort (though not much) a good Carbonara is always a table pleaser. This is my favorite Carbonara recipe that feeds 4-5 people.

- pound pancetta, cut into small cubes
- 7 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound rigatoni
- salt for pasta water to taste
- cup finely grated Pecorino, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

- Cook pancetta until fat renders then let drain but save some of the drippings, and then cool a bit. Then add egg yolks and egg to bowl and whisk until blended
- cook pasta in the boiling salted water until al dente. save 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- once pasta is drained add to the mixture along with 2 tbsp of the cooking water and 1 tbsp of the drippings and toss. gradually add the pecorino or parmesan. continue tossing and add the black pepper.
- Add more of the cooking water if needed
- serve and garnish with more pecorino
packgrad
This is a go to recipe when I'm having a bunch of guys over and making a bunch of heavy apps. One of my favorite people in the world's mother's recipe.

Kalbi

5 # beef short ribs. Flanken cut.

1 cup pineapple juice

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup soy sauce

4 T garlic

1 small pear (put in food processor and buzz down)

1 small onion (put in food processor and buzz down)

1 T dark sesame oil

Pepper to taste

Mix all together. Let marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.

Grill over direct high heat to desired temp.

Civilized
AlleyPack said:

This is a simple "appetizer" type of recipe --- and is perfect for watching Wolfpack football or basketball...

Put all of this in a crockpot:

A bag of meatballs (slightly thawed)
A bottle of chili sauce (12-16 oz)
A jar of grape jelly (12-16 oz)

Cook on low in the crockpot for a few hours.

If you have a particularly large crockpot and want to double all the portions, all the better.

A staffer of mine made this for our Christmas get-together a few years ago.

I don't think I've ever had anything where the delta was so wide between how bad a dish sounded, and how delicious it actually was. So good.
Civilized
I'm a huge fan of soups, stews, and chowders when the weather turns cold.

One of my favorites is a simple beef stew I've refined over the years and do in an uncovered Dutch oven. The wine and broth base cook down into a really hearty, rich stew that I just love.

Ingredients (around 8 adult servings)

3-4 lb cubed beef chuck steak
1 lb. bacon, crumbled and divided
15-20 sliced baby carrots, sliced
4 large tomatoes, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
5-6 smallish potatoes, cubed
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 bottle red wine
2 cups beef stock or 1 T better than bouillon w/ 2 cups water
3 tbsp tomato paste
two handfuls chopped parsley
avocado oil or lard
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Cook bacon till crispy (normally I roast it at 400F for ~20-25 minutes while I'm doing other stuff rather than frying it on the stovetop)
2. Saute garlic and onion until onions are soft and garlic begins to crisp. Transfer onions and garlic mixture from skillet to dutch oven.
3. Add wine, stock, tomatoes, carrots, tomato paste, and half the bacon to Dutch oven. Slowly bring base to simmer while browning steak. Don't overcrowd skillet while browning.
4. Add splash of avo oil or lard to pan while browing meat if necessary depending on fat content of steak. Add salt and pepper to taste, brown on all sides. Transfer browned beef and au jus to simmering base and repeat as necessary until all meat is browned and transferred to dutch oven.
5. Bake in a 300F preheated oven uncovered for 3 hours. Remove from oven then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and crumbled remaining bacon. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.

ETA: Make sure to bake the stew uncovered. The top will brown significantly and it will look dry but it's cooking down and still has plenty of liquid in the bottom of the oven. When stirred after it's done it will have the right consistency for a thick, hearty stew.
Civilized
packgrad said:

This is a go to recipe when I'm having a bunch of guys over and making a bunch of heavy apps. One of my favorite people in the world's mother's recipe.

Kalbi

5 # beef short ribs. Flanken cut.

1 cup pineapple juice

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup soy sauce

4 T garlic

1 small pear (put in food processor and buzz down)

1 small onion (put in food processor and buzz down)

1 T dark sesame oil

Pepper to taste

Mix all together. Let marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.

Grill over direct high heat to desired temp.

This sounds so good, will definitely be trying this.

We do a quick pan-fried ham steak with soy, honey, onion and sesame oil that sounds similar but the fruit in your recipe has me intrigued. Would be brighter and more complex than honey, and we've never done it with beef either.

Thanks.
packgrad
Try it, man. It's legit. I worked in a Japanese Steakhouse when I was at State. The girl who gave me the recipe worked with me. Some of the family meals we'd have before and after shift were just incredible. We had Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Laotian, Cambodian, Phillipino guys cooking family meals before and after work for us. Not American meals. Meals of their culture. My palate exploded working there eating their meals. Not only that, we'd often play poker after work at somebody's apartment and they'd cook. It was a food lover's utopia. To them, it was probably what meatloaf or pot roast are to me. To me, it was a new world. I was pretty much meat and potatoes Southern food, minus the vegetables, when I started there. After eating their meals, I now pretty much eat, or will try, everything.

But to close the circle on how I got the recipe, years after we worked together I asked my friend how chef x made Kalbi/Galbi (Korean short ribs) when we were playing cards. She isn't really a cook, but got her mom's recipe and passed it along. I haven't modified anything every time I make it. Perhaps there's a bit of nostalgia when I make it and that's why I don't vary, but I'm certain it's quite good as well, and doesn't necessarily need adjusting.

I liked the recipe you posted above as well. It sounds delicious. I will be trying that as well.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Try it, man. It's legit. I worked in a Japanese Steakhouse when I was at State. The girl who gave me the recipe worked with me. Some of the family meals we'd have before and after shift were just incredible. We had Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Laotian, Cambodian, Phillipino guys cooking family meals before and after work for us. Not American meals. Meals of their culture. My palate exploded working there eating their meals. Not only that, we'd often play poker after work at somebody's apartment and they'd cook. It was a food lover's utopia. To them, it was probably what meatloaf or pot roast are to me. To me, it was a new world. I was pretty much meat and potatoes Southern food, minus the vegetables, when I started there. After eating their meals, I now pretty much eat, or will try, everything.

But to close the circle on how I got the recipe, years after we worked together I asked my friend how chef x made Kalbi/Galbi (Korean short ribs) when we were playing cards. She isn't really a cook, but got her mom's recipe and passed it along. I haven't modified anything every time I make it. Perhaps there's a bit of nostalgia when I make it and that's why I don't vary, but I'm certain it's quite good as well, and doesn't necessarily need adjusting.

I liked the recipe you posted above as well. It sounds delicious. I will be trying that as well.

This thread is probably self-selecting (if you don't like cooking or eating you ain't clicking on it) so most all of us on the thread appreciate food and food culture.

Your experience falling into home-cooked meals (and fellowship) from all over southeast Asia is life-altering stuff, if you like food and appreciate culture. Incredible.

My history with food was similar to yours growing up, Mom cooked a bunch and it's great and I love eating it and the emotional connections of eating great home cooked Southern food with friends and loved ones, but I didn't start becoming an experimental eater till after I was out of college.

Goes without saying I definitely did not get your culinary experience while I was busing and waiting tables at the Seventh Fork Arena and Old Country Buffet.

Great back-story, thanks for sharing.
Mormad
Man, i wanna make that stew TODAY. That sounds delicious. Eating that while marinating those short ribs for tomorrow? I mean, dayum.
BBW12OG
Here's one that I make and it's all about getting it the way YOU like it or the crowd you are feeding likes it.

Spicy Pimento ( no pimentos, fire roasted red peppers instead )

- 2 lbs of course shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese ( I use Tillamook or Sargento's off the block )
- 8 oz of Duke's ( more or less depending on the texture you want )
- 1 lb. of thick cut bacon patted dry and chopped ( again, bigger or smaller pieces up to you )
- 1 jar of fire roasted red peppers drained and diced
- 1 jar of diced jalepenos drained
- cayenne pepper to taste

Once you get all of these in a big bowl mix it up and the Duke's will start to loosen up. Give it a taste and if you want more cayenne by all means add it. The Duke's will counter the spiciness and you will find that you can add a hell of a lot more than you expected. Put it in the fridge and allow it to set up. Like I said it comes down to personal preference. I also have a Nexgrill flat top out side and I throw a healthy spoonful of this on there and smash it out flat. I let it crisp up on both sides and throw it on fried bologna, burgers or sometimes just make grill cheese sandwiches. It'll keep in the fridge for weeks. Enjoy!
Mormad
Putting that on a burger sounds so good, man.
BBW12OG
Mormad said:

The key to it is getting the cheese crisp on the outside but still gooey on the inside. On that flat top I use the Mid West method of the thin burgers stacked so they get a little char on the outside. I usually do a double stack with the cheese crisp in the middle. Nothing else. Just burger and cheese. The flavor profile on those two is amazing. 80/20 hamburger meat. None of that hippie lean beef. Fat is flavor on a flat top. And if you do it just right and the humidity is high enough you will smell like that delicious burger and grease the rest of the afternoon and into the evening.
Whitetailpack
Bell Tower Grey said:

packgrad, I usually use the beef short rib meat. I have used ribeye steak before, especially when the short ribs were either limited in stock or unavailable. I can't tell too much difference between the two.

I have made some pork sausage here in the past. It's been a couple of months since I last made any, because I have a friend locally that makes it every week and his is good.

What kind of meat grinder do you use?
packgrad
Whitetailpack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Lem. #12.
Bell Tower Grey
Mormad said:

Man, i wanna make that stew TODAY. That sounds delicious. Eating that while marinating those short ribs for tomorrow? I mean, dayum.
Yep. "LARD" sealed it for me. I thank God every day for women, like my grandmothers and my wife, that cook with lard.
Bell Tower Grey
Whitetailpack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Bought the attachment for my wife's Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Works great. Also recently bought a pasta maker attachment. Son.......
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

Mormad said:

Yep. "LARD" sealed it for me. I thank God every day for women, like my grandmothers and my wife, that cook with lard.

I keep a crock of it in the fridge that I replenish from bacon fat that renders out whenever we cook bacon. It's like an infinity bottle of pork fat deliciousness. I cook with it frequently.

Much better for you than processed oils and higher smoke point than butter. Obviously olive and avo oils are great for you but olive has a distinct flavor profile and avo oil ain't cheap.
Civilized
BBW12OG said:

Mormad said:

The key to it is getting the cheese crisp on the outside but still gooey on the inside. On that flat top I use the Mid West method of the thin burgers stacked so they get a little char on the outside. I usually do a double stack with the cheese crisp in the middle. Nothing else. Just burger and cheese. The flavor profile on those two is amazing. 80/20 hamburger meat. None of that hippie lean beef. Fat is flavor on a flat top. And if you do it just right and the humidity is high enough you will smell like that delicious burger and grease the rest of the afternoon and into the evening.

Yeah I'm definitely trying this too. I LOVE burgers dressed this way and getting the cheese a little crispy sounds incredible.
Mormad
Civilized said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Mormad said:

I keep a crock of it in the fridge that I replenish from bacon fat that renders out whenever we cook bacon. It's like an infinity bottle of pork fat deliciousness. I cook with it frequently.

Much better for you than processed oils and higher smoke point than butter. Obviously olive and avo oils are great for you but olive has a distinct flavor profile and avo oil ain't cheap.

Just bought all the ingredients for the stew to make this afternoon during the nfl games, and that avo oil was 10 bucks on sale. Ouch.
Civilized
Mormad said:

Civilized said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Mormad said:

Just bought all the ingredients for the stew to make this afternoon during the nfl games, and that avo oil was 10 bucks on sale. Ouch.

Haha, sorry bro I should have warned you. Costco is definitely the best place to get it, much less pricey by volume. Good thing you studied hard.

Two other small bits of advice, I sometimes bake at a lower temp like 275 (also get the benefit of smelling that delicious stuff cooking in the house for longer) for 2.5-3 hours and then ramping up to 375 or so the last 45 minutes. I haven't noticed a huge difference either way, just use your butt dynometer and pull a piece of beef to ensure desired tenderness.

The Dutch oven is somewhat like a crock pot and is pretty forgiving, you just don't want the liquid base to cook down too much. It keeps the meat moist but more importantly is drinkably good.

Also, I salt throughout sauting to keep it proportional but definitely taste test and add some at the end if needed. As you know, nailing the salt with savory soups and stews makes all the difference.

Excited you're trying this, big winter family favorite of ours. Let us know how it turns out!
Tootie4Pack
Civilized said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Mormad said:

Grew up on lard. My Grandfather raised hogs , so we enjoyed pork of all types year round. And with pork comes the lard. My Grandmother had a ceramic bowl on the stove that she poured the used lard from cooking sausage or bacon that morning. Used it over and over.

Who remembers eating brown scrambled eggs after having the eggs cooked in the same skillet as the sausage ? Man, they were some good scrambled eggs.

And when we cooked fried chicken or fresh fish
in the outside frying pans, always had a lard tin that was full, and after cooking with the lard , it got poured back into the tin.

I worked at a family owned hardware store for 18 years and we ordered and sold a many a lard tin over the years.

And Twinkies and Honey Buns have never tasted the same without lard !
Civilized
Tootie4Pack said:

Civilized said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Mormad said:

Grew up on lard. My Grandfather raised hogs , so we enjoyed pork of all types year round. And with pork comes the lard. My Grandmother had a ceramic bowl on the stove that she poured the used lard from cooking sausage or bacon that morning. Used it over and over.

Who remembers eating brown scrambled eggs after having the eggs cooked in the same skillet as the sausage ? Man, they were some good scrambled eggs.

And when we cooked fried chicken or fresh fish
in the outside frying pans, always had a lard tin that was full, and after cooking with the lard , it got poured back into the tin.

I worked at a family owned hardware store for 18 years and we ordered and sold a many a lard tin over the years.

And Twinkies and Honey Buns have never tasted the same without lard !

I don't have to think back very far to remember browned eggs in same skillet as sausage. Maybe a day, day and a half.

Lard fried honey buns OMG
Bell Tower Grey
Reading through, this thread has ongoing potential....lard fried honey buns? In my best Dan Bonner voice "OH MY"

We make shrimp and grits bites for tailgates, and also to have as snacks here. We use the silicone mini muffin cups so they don't stick.

Ingredients: grits, shrimp, bacon, cooked and diced country ham, shredded cheddar cheese, unsalted butter, salt and pepper.

Prepare your grits as you normally would, till almost done, then set aside.

Fry a pound of bacon, then chop the cooked bacon.

In the bacon grease, lightly saute' peeled, deveined shrimp. Then chop the shrimp.

In a large bowl, combine the grits, bacon, ham, shrimp, shredded cheese, a couple tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper to taste.

Fill the muffin cups with the grits mixture, then bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until done. Let them cool before removing from cups.

These freeze well also. We reheat them placed touching, in a pyrex dish, in the oven on 350 till warm.
SexualChocolate
Is that 5 lbs?
packgrad
Yes. 5#s. You'll want some hungry folks coming over.

I couldn't watch the game today (No FSS on YTTV) so I listened to it while making lunch. Nostalgia was still kicking in so I went Korean and made a spicy braised chicken with steamed rice. Spicy cucumber side dish.

I found this lady, maangchi, on YouTube years ago and use a lot of her recipes. They are quite good.

Recipes for these 2 can be found at the links below. They are both delicious.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dakbokkeumtang

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/oi-muchim

jadawson
packgrad said:

Yes. 5#s. You'll want some hungry folks coming over.

I couldn't watch the game today (No FSS on YTTV) so I listened to it while making lunch. Nostalgia was still kicking in so I went Korean and made a spicy braised chicken with steamed rice. Spicy cucumber side dish.

I found this lady, maangchi, on YouTube years ago and use a lot of her recipes. They are quite good.

Recipes for these 2 can be found at the links below. They are both delicious.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dakbokkeumtang

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/oi-muchim

Man you can't be posting pics like this after lunch you're just making me hungry again....
Mormad
Civilized stew later today

Civilized
Mormad said:

Civilized stew later today

I can smell it from here. Great work!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.