When did you first join a NCSU message board?

10,418 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by Packamylase
BBW12OG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I believe mine was the old ACC Boards back 2000-2002. I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was. I just remember that all the ACC teams circa then had their links on the same page. It evolved from there into the various sites. I joined TOS February 2003. I have seen the good, the bad and the absolute stupid! Cruised around a few of the boards from time to time years ago. FSU and Miami at one time had a "no holds barred" type atmosphere. I think the "babe of the day" threads pretty much are long gone. Anyway, just wanted to toss that out there to see how many of y'all have been riding this insanity called "sports board warrior." Enjoy and look forward to hearing where y'all got started.
acslater1344
2006ish
statefan91
Early 2000s TheWolfpacker. I have vivid memories of Tramain Hall news coming through on Christmas Day, I guess that was 2000 or 2001.
BBW12OG
statefan91 said:

Early 2000s TheWolfpacker. I have vivid memories of Tramain Hall news coming through on Christmas Day, I guess that was 2000 or 2001.
Hall and Washington..... probably the fastest two on the field against every opponent.... CTC really had some talented teams......just never a Defense the same time he had an Offense and vice versa....
Ironwolf
Don't remember exactly when but I had a Mindspring account so it was in the 90's
Pacfanweb
Posted on the old AOL "Grandstand" boards back in the day, circa 97-98-ish. I think "ACC Boards" were linked to them somehow, and I ended up there.
AOL is where my screen name came from. Was trying to think of something and you were limited in characters for AOL, and I couldn't get "PackFan" and my last name or anything, and my GF at the time suggested make it like Pac Man, except PacFan, and the WEB is my initials, and I've been Pacfanweb ever since.

Those became Statefans/Pack Pride eventually.

Also posted at The Wolfpacker a good bit, until they did away with the free boards. That site is still much more user-friendly than the 24/7 site is.
ncsualum05
I had a free statefans.com account before it became PackPride and associated with Scout. That was probably around 2003. But I was in college at the time and didn't use it as much. Never posted back then just looked. I deleted the old account and started posting/ paying for PackPride back around 2009.
Glasswolf
Wolfchat then Statefans.com when James took that over in 2003, then Pack Pride then here since before day 1
82TxPackFan
The Wolfpacker - 2001
dogplasma
Probably around 2000. Back when Statesmith and Beowolf were board celebs.
caryking
I got on the internet around 95-96 (Al Gore timeline). Found NC State back then and have been a member of some board as far back as I can remember.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
ciscopack
1998 - The Wolfpacker pre-Rivals with Steve and Scott V. - Coach O'Cain

When Rivals came onboard.... I won a several week contest and mopped up on the high dollar merchandise from Dave Telep.

noah wrote some articles and was a member.....me and KCpacker and 10-15 more added a sentence here and there to bring threads back to the top, 40 or so others mostly watched (it seemed). noah phased out when things got too political and he was getting bashed. smokeythecav came on a couple years later when they started counting posts and they had different things when you reached a certain number....50,000 posts was the highest and I thought that no one will ever reach that. In about 1.5 years, smokey had 70,000+ posts. He gained weight and worked out and played some semi-pro football in SC and split the seen.
ciscopack
I forgot to mention.....everything was free way back and the Wolfpacker got on some network pre- Rivals I'm thinking? It might have been PP pre-Scout? Insiders or something like that?

I had 3 aliases on Inside Carolina and I'd sway and screw up opinion there as much as possible until all "3 of us" got run off. Screwing with MACttp and Millticket got to be kind of a sport. Millticket worked his way up the chain at Scout and when I got a chance, I called him out on a mistake and what he had once said about ? Kennedy, who was then his boss. A man he talked stone cold junk about in recruiting was his boss and Mill kicked me off the National board....as Unc had done all 3 of us.

RIP bornheel...
Radman
ACCBoards back around 1998.
BBW12OG
I was curious earlier... and went to...wait for it... "The Wolf Web." How the hell is that place still going? Early 2000's that place was hellaciously known for some damn good pics from Brent Road before it got cancelled. Also had some doozies from the Lawn Party. Drank beers with Darious Rucker and the boys before they hit it big time when they played there. We started taking in huge trash cans on wheels that we "borrowed" from a neighborhood in Cary a time or two. They always had the nice big ones. The guys working the gate, Delta Sig, would let whoever was 21 carry beer in. Didn't specify how many. I think we wheeled in 12 cases one year. That ended after that. Good times....
cowboypack02
TOS about 2011 or so I think
packwest
2003-2004, maybe? It was was sometime just before statefans.com became affiliated with scout. And I remember what a big deal it felt like to pay for a subscription.
"The NCAA's business model would be flatly illegal in almost every other industry in America...The NCAA is not above the law."

Murphy vs. NCAA, 594 U.S. ____ (2021)
packgrad
Late 90s I think. Maybe 2000 for Phil and Jerricho's class. Back when Tennessee used to mop up in the state.
fhstatefan43
Wolfpacker back in 2000 or 2001. Can't remember when for sure but I was immediately hooked when Amato brought so much excitement to recruiting
TheStorm
This is going to probably skip around a bit, but:

I don't remember the exact year, but I was late to the party at ACC Boards (they used to talk a lot of **** over there too - especially to newbies, and I remember not being long for the world before getting banned by Beowulf for a month)... probably got about a year and a half in there, then went to Statefans.com when it started up (JB34 & Jern14, I think)...

IIRC, ACC Boards (State board) later became The Strutting Wolf (although I was no longer active there at that time)... and I *think* Pack Pride was essentially a "merger" of Statefans.com and TSW, with new ownership (James) and affiliated with a national recruiting service... Insiders, and then later Scout... came here to Inside Pack Sports about a week after James opened up, and pretty much only go to TOS for their "Sportsman Thread" on the free boards (that is an awesome thread, btw)...

James ran me once for 60 days over at the old place for arguing with him about something that I can no longer remember what the topic was, but I threw myself on the mercy of the court and he eventually let me come back and I've "towed the line" better (apparently at least ) since then...

I did take about a five-year hiatus from the boards (mid-late O'Brien / Early Doeren timeframe, probably job and kids, time-allocation related), probably started back Doeren Year 2 after we started improving (it takes a lot of time to stay invested in keeping up with the boards, afterall)... *the year that James ran me was probably the 6-6 year (Drinkwitz / Finley Year 1)... that one time, he ended up being right, and I was wrong .

Never did SFN. Had no need to. Have always wondered whatever became of Brock (JB34), and seem to remember that Jern14 may have still been around a year or two after the merger...

Statefans was by far the best pure message board site (of all the ones I had participated on) until Inside Pack Sports came along... nothing compares to the information on this site. Not. Even. Close.

Man how time flies.

packgrad
TheStorm said:

This is going to probably skip around a bit, but:

I don't remember the exact year, but I was late to the party at ACC Boards (they used to talk a lot of **** over there too - especially to newbies, and I remember not being long for the world before getting banned by Beowulf for a month)... probably got about a year and a half in there, then went to Statefans.com when it started up (JB34 & Jern14, I think)...

IIRC, ACC Boards (State board) later became The Strutting Wolf (although I was no longer active there at that time)... and I *think* Pack Pride was essentially a "merger" of Statefans.com and TSW, with new ownership (James) and affiliated with a national recruiting service... Insiders, and then later Scout... came here to Inside Pack Sports about a week after James opened up, and pretty much only go to TOS for their "Sportsman Thread" on the free boards (that is an awesome thread, btw)...

James ran me once for 60 days over at the old place for arguing with him about something that I can no longer remember what the topic was, but I threw myself on the mercy of the court and he eventually let me come back and I've "towed the line" better (apparently at least ) since then...

I did take about a five-year hiatus from the boards (mid-late O'Brien / Early Doeren timeframe, probably job and kids, time-allocation related), probably started back Doeren Year 2 after we started improving (it takes a lot of time to stay invested in keeping up with the boards, afterall)... *the year that James ran me was probably the 6-6 year (Drinkwitz / Finley Year 1)... that one time, he ended up being right, and I was wrong .

Never did SFN. Had no need to. Have always wondered whatever became of Brock (JB34), and seem to remember that Jern14 may have still been around a year or two after the merger...

Statefans was by far the best pure message board site (of all the ones I had participated on) until Inside Pack Sports came along... nothing compares to the information on this site. Not. Even. Close.

Man how time flies.

Steve and Scott Voglesberg (and Hendu/James joined in too) held it down at the Wolfpacker for a while. Loved that place. After the splits, and the gang (minus Scott) getting back together, this is definitely the best since.
TheStorm
^ Never did the Wolfpacker. Don't know why though... I'm guessing that I was probably already on Statefans.com and liked it there...
Tootie4Pack
When James started IPS. The only message board that I have ever joined. And no regrets.
James and Steve and everyone associated with IPS does a great job.

Steve: " We're getting Poole ! "
wilmwolf
Hard to really remember the timeline, it all kind of runs together. Was on TWW way way back. Posted a few times on State fans but wasn't real into it. Joined PP and mostly lurked till I got kicked off during one of the coaching searches, the Lowe one maybe, when I responded in kind to some one deriding me as a sunshine squadder (some things never change). Signed back up there during the UNC scandal as I had some things to contribute to that research. Been here since day one. Occasionally post on the bourbon thread on PP, but don't care for most of the other idiocy there.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Civilized
BBW12OG said:

I believe mine was the old ACC Boards back 2000-2002. I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was. I just remember that all the ACC teams circa then had their links on the same page. It evolved from there into the various sites. I joined TOS February 2003. I have seen the good, the bad and the absolute stupid! Cruised around a few of the boards from time to time years ago. FSU and Miami at one time had a "no holds barred" type atmosphere. I think the "babe of the day" threads pretty much are long gone. Anyway, just wanted to toss that out there to see how many of y'all have been riding this insanity called "sports board warrior." Enjoy and look forward to hearing where y'all got started.
Great thread topic!

For me it was ACC Boards also, and the same time period. First thing I remember F5'ing like a champ was Hodge's recruitment and jumping around like a lunatic in my cubicle after he committed to us over SorryExcuse.

Progressed from ACC Boards to Statefans/Pack Pride, then here as soon as James started up.

The quality of writing/analysis/podcasts/content, clean presentation of the forum, and generally respectful and interesting mix of folks on here are the tits.

TraCha4
When IPS started.
cowboypack02
This is the first one that I have ever paid for.....Been a paying member since day one
Steve Williams
Staff
I think I got started on The ACC Boards. There's a Wolfpacker, Bob Radford, that ran the very first NC State football recruiting site and my man Zeke ran The State of Basketball. Bob and I had talked about collaborating on a site together but his work wouldn't allow it so I ended up at The Wolfpacker. Been blessed to be able to contribute at all the major NC State sites.
statefan91
Oh god...I forgot about TWW / Brentroad.com. I was on there when in school and met a ton of really cool people.
Pacfanweb
I remember the first big coaching search after Hreb left.

James went out to RDU to try and see if Cal was there, if memory serves. I remember talking to someone....maybe Statefan03, about it and we were texting or something, before anyone was really texting.

I signed up for Flight Aware and was tracking Wendell's plane, lol.

edit: LOL....I just checked that Flight Aware site, it's still there and my browser still has my password and screen name, login still works. I guess it backed up and carried over all this time.
Ncstatefan01
What was TOS?
Pacfanweb
Ncstatefan01 said:

What was TOS?
The Other Site

At PP that used to mean The Wolfpacker.

Here, I guess it means PP

SportManagementEngineer
I was on State Fans Nation (did not realize that is not the same thing as State Fans) when I was in college (2011ish?). Then a couple buddies and I shared a Pack Pride account later in college. Took a break from the boards then jumped on IPS when it started.

I'll say the only thing I've like better about other sites is that the Brickyard had more participation in funny threads (read: non political) than the Water Cooler does here.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
BBW12OG
SportManagementEngineer said:

I was on State Fans Nation (did not realize that is not the same thing as State Fans) when I was in college (2011ish?). Then a couple buddies and I shared a Pack Pride account later in college. Took a break from the boards then jumped on IPS when it started.

I'll say the only thing I've like better about other sites is that the Brickyard had more participation in funny threads (read: non political) than the Water Cooler does here.
TOS jumped the shark when the mods let a group of 24-7-365 posters take over the Brickyard. Plus their sports information is history by the time it's reported! Way more bang for your buck here.
SportManagementEngineer
There were many laugh out loud funny threads on the brickyard though. From the ghost stories thread to the most embarrassing moments one.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.