When did you first join a NCSU message board?

10,635 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Packamylase
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Steve Williams said:

BBW12OG said:

Steve Williams said:

Is Glenn still on the radio? I remember he used to post as 1980Heel or something similar back in the day.
I think his show was cancelled in the spring. When I mean cancelled I think it was sudden and pretty much he walked in and they said "you no longer work here.." type deal. He, Joe Ovaries and Adam Gold had pretty much been trying to land gigs on ESPN with all of their "wokeness" and politically charged conversations. Glenn shutdown anyone and everyone that didn't agree with him and his ideas. I stopped listening around 2014 or so and would only check in during recruiting, preseason college football/basketball just to see if they were actually talking about sports.... they rarely were. After Trump was elected it was game on for bashing conservative points of view with semi-veiled insults, innuendo etc... As far as Smokey goes, he showed who he was years back when he and "lovely and talented Maria, who also happens to be a lawyer and a VERY successful one" took a trip I believe to Columbia... he bragged for weeks before they went on how nice of a place they were staying, how much it was going to cost (without giving the dollar amount) and how people should really try to venture out of the country and visit other places.... smug doesn't describe his pompous arrogance. He's a guy that was in a league of his own with zero self awareness.
I used to enjoy sports talk radio. Loved listening to Dornburg, there was a guy named Frank Moroch (it's been so long ago, may have the name/spelling off) that I really enjoyed. I tried Adam Gold. Awful. Tried Glenn. Completely unlistenable for me. Would take him 10 minutes to express a one-sentence idea. He personified that arrogant, smug UNC persona.

Agree Steve. I haven't listened to local sports talk in years. I guess I got started at TOS around 06, I believe, then moved over here day one.
Steve Williams
Staff
Pacfanweb said:

waynecountywolf said:

We gonna have a parade?
Hey, if the AD would just come out and say "We're good with just making a bowl most of the time, and 6-7-8 wins a year, we're not trying to be big-time".....I'd be a lot more okay with the state of things.

But Debbie Yow fired TOB for exactly that type of performance. Stated we expected more here.

I mean, look at the ESPN article on his firing, and ESPN is no real friend to us:

"North Carolina State coach Tom O'Brien has been fired after a disappointing 7-5 season, the school announced Sunday."

"Even though O'Brien has led the Wolfpack to three straight bowl games, his teams have failed to live up to expectations throughout his tenure. O'Brien went 40-35 in six seasons -- but just 22-26 in the ACC."

""I told them it's really fairly simple," Yow said. "Coach O'Brien and I agree on the goal of becoming a top-25 program. We just don't agree on what it takes to do that, how to get there."

And then a tweet from another ESPN person:
"From what I've gathered, NC State wants a bulldog recruiter for its next coach. Felt it fell short in that area."

What happened to that? 7-5 was "disappointing" then, but it's good to go now? DD's been here 2 more seasons than TOB yet only has 6 more ACC wins. And TOB beat some actual good teams, along with losing to some he shouldn't have. DD has only done the latter.

So...is a top 25 program still the goal, or no? If so, then we need to make a change and should have done so 4 years ago. If not, then Football Herb is your guy.

I had hopes that we wanted more. Evidently that changed somewhere along the way. Even Yow seems to be okay with the state of the program right now.

And don't get me wrong...it doesn't suck. It's certainly better than losing. I like the way the guy runs things. But he's not a top 25 coach, and we're never going to be a consistent top 25 program or make a serious run at an ACC title.
We already had this with TOB. We were here. And I was glad he was let go, because I knew this was his ceiling, just like it's DD's as well. It was stated we expected more, and now that doesn't seem to be the case, and it's kind of frustrating to those of us who grew up with an NC State AD that expected to win.

I'm not sure how many are aware but if TOB hadn't thrown his name in at the 11th hour, Jimbo Fisher was going to be the coach at NC State.
BBW12OG
WHAT?????? No kidding.... I think I remember something along those lines but correct me if I'm wrong didn't the powers that be at that time think the program needed a bit of a "clean up?" And TOB was the squeaky clean no-nonsense type they wanted to reinvent the perception? As much as I enjoyed CTC he did get a bit outlandish with the ABC intro before the Ohio State game, which still pisses me off, driving in the Vette with the Sopranos theme song playing.... flew too close to the sun!
wilmwolf
The Sopranos intro was for the GT game in 2002, the start of the three game skid.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
BBW12OG
Ahhhh...my bad... I get confused with so many different stories from back then. You know how it was...life in the fast lane things tend to run together!
griff17matt
Steve Williams said:

Pacfanweb said:

waynecountywolf said:

We gonna have a parade?
Hey, if the AD would just come out and say "We're good with just making a bowl most of the time, and 6-7-8 wins a year, we're not trying to be big-time".....I'd be a lot more okay with the state of things.

But Debbie Yow fired TOB for exactly that type of performance. Stated we expected more here.

I mean, look at the ESPN article on his firing, and ESPN is no real friend to us:

"North Carolina State coach Tom O'Brien has been fired after a disappointing 7-5 season, the school announced Sunday."

"Even though O'Brien has led the Wolfpack to three straight bowl games, his teams have failed to live up to expectations throughout his tenure. O'Brien went 40-35 in six seasons -- but just 22-26 in the ACC."

""I told them it's really fairly simple," Yow said. "Coach O'Brien and I agree on the goal of becoming a top-25 program. We just don't agree on what it takes to do that, how to get there."

"From what I've gathered, NC State wants a bulldog recruiter for its next coach. Felt it fell short in that area."

What happened to that? 7-5 was "disappointing" then, but it's good to go now? DD's been here 2 more seasons than TOB yet only has 6 more ACC wins. And TOB beat some actual good teams, along with losing to some he shouldn't have. DD has only done the latter.

So...is a top 25 program still the goal, or no? If so, then we need to make a change and should have done so 4 years ago. If not, then Football Herb is your guy.

I had hopes that we wanted more. Evidently that changed somewhere along the way. Even Yow seems to be okay with the state of the program right now.

And don't get me wrong...it doesn't suck. It's certainly better than losing. I like the way the guy runs things. But he's not a top 25 coach, and we're never going to be a consistent top 25 program or make a serious run at an ACC title.
We already had this with TOB. We were here. And I was glad he was let go, because I knew this was his ceiling, just like it's DD's as well. It was stated we expected more, and now that doesn't seem to be the case, and it's kind of frustrating to those of us who grew up with an NC State AD that expected to win.

I'm not sure how many are aware but if TOB hadn't thrown his name in at the 11th hour, Jimbo Fisher was going to be the coach at NC State.

So, we could have had Jimbo but hired the guy that gave us one of our 3 wins in 2006. Sounds like some **** NC State would do. I didn't think it was possible to believe Fowler was a bigger cuck than I already imagined but here we are.
Pacfanweb
Steve Williams said:

Pacfanweb said:

waynecountywolf said:

We gonna have a parade?

Wow. Almost wish I didn't know that, but if we ever needed any more examples of Lee Fowler's incompetence, there it is
Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

Steve Williams said:

Wow. Almost wish I didn't know that, but if we ever needed any more examples of Lee Fowler's incompetence, there it is

Yeah I'll never be able to unhear that.

Thanks for nothing Steve.
tuffy1006
The State of Basketball was the first. Late 90's. I remember going to the local library to look up Julius Hodge recruiting news when I was still in high school
ciscopack
wilmwolf80 said:

The Sopranos intro was for the GT game in 2002, the start of the three game skid.
It was a badass video and 3 rough games. That team "could have" taken us places. I didn't know about Jimbo and I didn't dislike Tom O'Brien, he had some really good qualities. I would not take $50,000 for the syllabus video and his snicker was funny as hell. Maybe Jimbo would have done something here and maybe not? Would not everyone like to live 10 lives and remember some things from the other lives, they could change or repeat? Pre-O'Cain, I was a longtime fan but I didn't keep up with inter-workings of the program but I did go to every Holtz and Rein home game. I worked with a son of an Edwards assistant.

I was pulling for O'Cain when we let him go and I was pulling for Amato when we let him go and I was pulling for O'Brien when we let him go. So be it.
TheStorm
tuffy1006 said:

The State of Basketball was the first. Late 90's. I remember going to the local library to look up Julius Hodge recruiting news when I was still in high school
Julius Hodge recruiting was during the Statefans.com era...
tuffy1006
TheStorm said:

tuffy1006 said:

Julius Hodge recruiting was during the Statefans.com era...
maybe I am thinking of the Scooter Sherriill/Michael Bell/Marcus Melvin class.
ncsupack1
Wow...didn't know that. What's fun about sports is there isn't any way to know for sure if anything would be different or not for us.
Glasswolf
Steve Williams said:

Pacfanweb said:

waynecountywolf said:

We gonna have a parade?

Yep we had Jimbo scheduled for an interview and TOB called and expressed his interest. Foulup called Jimbo and cancelled the interview
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Steve Williams
Staff
ciscopack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

It was a badass video and 3 rough games. That team "could have" taken us places. I didn't know about Jimbo and I didn't dislike Tom O'Brien, he had some really good qualities. I would not take $50,000 for the syllabus video and his snicker was funny as hell. Maybe Jimbo would have done something here and maybe not? Would not everyone like to live 10 lives and remember some things from the other lives, they could change or repeat? Pre-O'Cain, I was a longtime fan but I didn't keep up with inter-workings of the program but I did go to every Holtz and Rein home game. I worked with a son of an Edwards assistant.

I was pulling for O'Cain when we let him go and I was pulling for Amato when we let him go and I was pulling for O'Brien when we let him go. So be it.

I always think back to that delay of game call in the 4th quarter against GT. If that play had stood you wonder if things would've played out differently.
Misterree
I started when it was run by Kent Newsome (I think that's the name). I joined this board when it started but it was deaf. Glad to know it's picking up steal.
Pacfanweb
Glasswolf said:

Steve Williams said:

Pacfanweb said:

waynecountywolf said:

We gonna have a parade?

Yep we had Jimbo scheduled for an interview and TOB called and expressed his interest. Foulup called Jimbo and cancelled the interview
Worked out pretty well for Jimbo, though.

I wonder how he would have done here. Certainly not as well as at FSU...at least, I wouldn't think he could recruit as well, but I don't know....he certainly had all the connections to recruit at that time. I think it's safe to say he'd have recruited better than TOB or DD, though. Dammit.
Steve Williams
Staff
Pacfanweb said:

Glasswolf said:

Steve Williams said:

Pacfanweb said:

waynecountywolf said:

We gonna have a parade?

I wonder how he would have done here. Certainly not as well as at FSU...at least, I wouldn't think he could recruit as well, but I don't know....he certainly had all the connections to recruit at that time. I think it's safe to say he'd have recruited better than TOB or DD, though. Dammit.
It's been so long ago and I'm too lazy to look it up but I think Jimbo was OC at LSU at the time and had a really good rep as a great recruiter. He and Todd Stroud were really close and I know Stroud was hoping he would get the job so he could stay in Raleigh.
Pacfanweb
Steve Williams said:

Pacfanweb said:

Glasswolf said:

Steve Williams said:

Pacfanweb said:

waynecountywolf said:

We gonna have a parade?

It's been so long ago and I'm too lazy to look it up but I think Jimbo was OC at LSU at the time and had a really good rep as a great recruiter. He and Todd Stroud were really close and I know Stroud was hoping he would get the job so he could stay in Raleigh.

Oh, okay. I was thinking Jimbo was already at Florida State at that point but since he was head coach in waiting there, I guess it makes sense that he was still at LSU. That would have been a nice hire.
I wonder how close we were with Kirby Smart? If we were serious or if he ever was. I know he was one of the names at one point
waynecountywolf
Bump for the history lessons
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
Ncsufist
I joined wolfweb my freshman year in 00 and statefans in 02. I remember posting a bunch during the Iraq invasion and on the 9/11 threads.
Eta. Not sure what my name was back then. I wasn't fist until 06ish or so when we were all forced to start over.
GetOffMyLawnPack
Circa 2001. Like others who have posted in this thread, the nonsense and so many posters who seem to have nothing else to do all day other than argue minutia "my source is better than your source", I got to the point that I would post on the food threads and that's about it.
BBW12OG
For the newbies....

I remember back when the FSU site was the only one where you could go see.... well...... don't want to offend anyone but....

A great version of the Sports Illustrated issue that every male in the 80's looked forward to coming in the mail.

ACC boards, statefans.com, TWW... which is till up I believe... was in on them all. Dial up internet and could go get a snack and beer while one picture downloaded....

Was BBW12 on PP for 20+ years... got the ban hammer by RCS for arguing with one of his lefty lacky's on a anti-Trump thread.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
Big Sexy Pack
Started with wolfchat and then moved to ACCBoards in 99. became a mod and then went to statefans after the merger. packpride and here now.
grantwolf
Big Sexy Pack said:

Started with wolfchat and then moved to ACCBoards in 99. became a mod and then went to statefans after the merger. packpride and here now.
Pretty much the same for me. I was on wolfchat from the beginning.

ETA: I wasn't ever a mod anywhere.
PackMan97
Big Sexy Pack said:

Been around since the days of Wolfchat as well! I think I went from there to the ACC Boards at RanchoDeNada and eventually to whatever got gobbled up by PackPride.

Hard to believe I've been around here for 30 years. *gulp* ...I might be old now.
Big Sexy Pack
grantwolf said:

Big Sexy Pack said:

If I remember right, you were asked first to be a mod and then they settled for me. Am I right about that? I distinctly remember voting for you.
statefan91
I don't remember what site it was but whichever one Steve was on in 2000 because I remember checking it on Christmas 2000 to see what Tramain Hall was going to do
gracieagain
I was Gracie on WolfChat and became gracieagain at some later date when the board migrated somewhere, and I had trouble registering I guess. gracieagain is a sort of dumb and meaningless name, but I've never had another alias. Gracie was my cat.
RvaWolf
Late 90's and then joined Statefans shortly after it started.
grantwolf
Big Sexy Pack said:

grantwolf said:

Big Sexy Pack said:

If I remember right, you were asked first to be a mod and then they settled for me. Am I right about that? I distinctly remember voting for you.
I don't specifically recall that, but it's possible. I spent waaay too much time on the boards back then.

I grew up a Duke fan (my mom went to Duke), so Grant Hill was my favorite player in the first few years of me being at State (started in fall of '89). Thus, I chose grantwolf as my username....and have never changed it over the years and various message boards.
gracieagain
There was something called Town Square in their somewhere I think
BBW12OG
Don't forget....

brentroad.com

I think that is what TWW evolved or devolved into.....
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
Oldsouljer
Started on PP back in 2004/2005, after I'd moved here the previous year and started on my Masters at State. Had a great decade, then nice James left to become salty James at IPS, PP's graphic quality changed which bugged me, and within a year, Steve also left and when my sub expired, I followed Steve to IPs.
Wolfs Lare
I don't even remember the sequence of names. First that was a mailing list by Jeff Brock called Brock's bytes, then it was taken over by a guy name Saab Sadigui. Just links to articles and information, but very early. Then Rancho De Dada, ACCBoards, Statefans which I think eventually became Pack Pride?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.