Coronavirus

1,980,401 Views | 19755 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by Werewolf
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized
LOL. Bill Maher is great. He's a saltier, more centrist Jon Stewart.
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

I saw a report today that California is considering allowing children 12+ to get vaccinated "without the consent of their parents." This can only mean one thing - California is lead by evil people and these people should not be in positions of leadership.

With regards to boosters for kids, they really should NOT be mandated. The decision to boost should be a decision of the parents - consulting their pediatrician if they have questions. Personally, I do question boosting kids with a vaccine that will provide marginal benefit to them. Of course, I am a person who does not believe in taking drugs that only provide marginal benefit.

As to myocarditis risk and vaccination, it is a legitimate consideration - in particular, for males 30 and under. For a drug that provides marginal benefit and does carry some risk (risk is not zero), it should definitely weigh in the decision. Again, boosters should not be mandated for healthy people. They should be available and people should be allowed to make their own decision. The focus right now should be boosting older people and people with compromised medical conditions. Healthy people can boost if they want to, but it definitely should not be mandated. For some reason, we have people in leadership that have to appear to be doing something, even if it is of marginal benefit (like providing free masks and test kits).

For kids receiving their first doses of a vaccine, my simple recommendation would be to space the doses out to eight weeks apart, instead of three to four weeks. There is some good data that spacing out doses will provide a couple of benefits. It appears to induce a stronger immune response when doses are spaced out. Secondly, there are reports that the myocarditis risk is lower when doses are spaced further apart.

When does the booster push end. We have already seen the reports out of Israel that a fourth booster offers no additional protection for infection and hospitalization. At some point, you have to accept that the immune system is more than antibodies and after is has been exposed to the novel virus, it is able to mount long lasting protection against severe illness in healthy people.

With regards to people who have been vaccinated and became infected, they have a booster and should not need a vaccine booster. They have received nature's booster. As the CDC study shows - natural infection is more effective in reducing severe illness and hospitalization than the vaccines. Unfortunately, the people making health policy in the US are having trouble pivoting and following the latest research and data. Messaging and health policy this whole time has been a complete cluster.
My wife, less than 4 months from her second dose of Moderna caught symptomatic COVID (back in the fall Delta wave)

My son, barely made it 2 months from his second dose (we did space the doses out a good bit) of Pfizer and is currently home with his isolation period with an Omicold.

I had one dose of JnJ that knocked me on my ass with a fever for 48 hours. (I suspect my respiratory illness in March 2020 could have been COVID since I had regular long interactions with someone who travelled back and forth to NYC weekly... but who knows).

We are done. Neither my wife or kid even made it two the 'booster eligible' period before catching COVID. If I get COVID 'again'(?) at this point. I get it. If I somehow make it through living in a house with both a Delta patient and Omicron patient without being positive, it is what it is.

As previously mentioned, I spent the entire time my wife was sick with Delta at home with her (and never tested positive). For that one we sent the kid to stay with relatives because he was going to have to miss over 3 weeks of school due to contact tracing alone.

For this one, we are just rolling with it. I am not locking my kid in his room as if he was in prison. He is free to roam around the house as he pleases and hang out with us. Next week, he gets to go back to school and his activities.

But we are done. And, after being fully vaxxed and STILL catching Omicron(?) 2 months from his second dose, if public health limits his activities because he is not boosted, I will show them where they can shove their booster.

We played the game. PH can now go F themselves.
82TxPackFan
Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

I saw a report today that California is considering allowing children 12+ to get vaccinated "without the consent of their parents." This can only mean one thing - California is lead by evil people and these people should not be in positions of leadership.

With regards to boosters for kids, they really should NOT be mandated. The decision to boost should be a decision of the parents - consulting their pediatrician if they have questions. Personally, I do question boosting kids with a vaccine that will provide marginal benefit to them. Of course, I am a person who does not believe in taking drugs that only provide marginal benefit.

As to myocarditis risk and vaccination, it is a legitimate consideration - in particular, for males 30 and under. For a drug that provides marginal benefit and does carry some risk (risk is not zero), it should definitely weigh in the decision. Again, boosters should not be mandated for healthy people. They should be available and people should be allowed to make their own decision. The focus right now should be boosting older people and people with compromised medical conditions. Healthy people can boost if they want to, but it definitely should not be mandated. For some reason, we have people in leadership that have to appear to be doing something, even if it is of marginal benefit (like providing free masks and test kits).

For kids receiving their first doses of a vaccine, my simple recommendation would be to space the doses out to eight weeks apart, instead of three to four weeks. There is some good data that spacing out doses will provide a couple of benefits. It appears to induce a stronger immune response when doses are spaced out. Secondly, there are reports that the myocarditis risk is lower when doses are spaced further apart.

When does the booster push end. We have already seen the reports out of Israel that a fourth booster offers no additional protection for infection and hospitalization. At some point, you have to accept that the immune system is more than antibodies and after is has been exposed to the novel virus, it is able to mount long lasting protection against severe illness in healthy people.

With regards to people who have been vaccinated and became infected, they have a booster and should not need a vaccine booster. They have received nature's booster. As the CDC study shows - natural infection is more effective in reducing severe illness and hospitalization than the vaccines. Unfortunately, the people making health policy in the US are having trouble pivoting and following the latest research and data. Messaging and health policy this whole time has been a complete cluster.
My wife, less than 4 months from her second dose of Moderna caught symptomatic COVID (back in the fall Delta wave)

My son, barely made it 2 months from his second dose (we did space the doses out a good bit) of Pfizer and is currently home with his isolation period with an Omicold.

I had one dose of JnJ that knocked me on my ass with a fever for 48 hours. (I suspect my respiratory illness in March 2020 could have been COVID since I had regular long interactions with someone who travelled back and forth to NYC weekly... but who knows).

We are done. Neither my wife or kid even made it two the 'booster eligible' period before catching COVID. If I get COVID 'again'(?) at this point. I get it. If I somehow make it through living in a house with both a Delta patient and Omicron patient without being positive, it is what it is.

As previously mentioned, I spent the entire time my wife was sick with Delta at home with her (and never tested positive). For that one we sent the kid to stay with relatives because he was going to have to miss over 3 weeks of school due to contact tracing alone.

For this one, we are just rolling with it. I am not locking my kid in his room as if he was in prison. He is free to roam around the house as he pleases and hang out with us. Next week, he gets to go back to school and his activities.

But we are done. And, after being fully vaxxed and STILL catching Omicron(?) 2 months from his second dose, if public health limits his activities because he is not boosted, I will show them where they can shove their booster.

I'm with you brother. My family (me, wife, daughter, & son-in-law) also have been fully vaccinated & came down with Omicron about two weeks ago. My wife had significant respiratory issues for a couple of weeks at home, daughter & son-in-law had mild symptoms, & I had no issues.

Biden, the Elf, CDC, & every other crap head pushing mandates for boosters & masks can Kiss my A**. I'm through with the whole freaking circus - politicians, teachers union, & every other left wing nut job.
dogplasma
packgrad said:

Your link doesn't work.
Oh no! Here, second try: https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.121.056135
Oldsouljer
82TxPackFan said:

Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

I'm with you brother. My family (me, wife, daughter, & son-in-law) also have been fully vaccinated & came down with Omicron about two weeks ago. My wife had significant respiratory issues for a couple of weeks at home, daughter & son-in-law had mild symptoms, & I had no issues.

Biden, the Elf, CDC, & every other crap head pushing mandates for boosters & masks can Kiss my A**. I'm through with the whole freaking circus - politicians, teachers union, & every other left wing nut job.

See, when you guys cop an attitude about all this, the authoritarians blame Aaron Rodgers for encouraging y'all to get all uppity.
Everpack
This is the way out!
WPNfamily
Covid round 2 is done! Any bets on when I get it a third time?
Daviewolf83
WPNfamily said:

Glad to hear you have recovered. Not to sound like a pessimist, but you likely will be infected again when the next variant hits the US. In fact, people will be infected multiple times by Covid over their lifetime.

Draconian attempts to "stay safe" (mask mandates, school closures, vaccine passports, asymptomatic testing, extended quarantines, etc) are futile in the long-run. Like other coronavirus' (see common cold), it will continue to mutate and these mutations will enable it to evade our first lines of defense. However, it is no longer a "novel" virus to our immune systems. Having seen the virus and vaccines, our immune systems are developing B-Cell and T-Cell memory that will allow us to fight future infections. It is what happens when a virus becomes endemic.
WPNfamily
Daviewolf83 said:

WPNfamily said:

Glad to hear you have recovered. Not to sound like a pessimist, but you likely will be infected again when the next variant hits the US. In fact, people will be infected multiple times by Covid over their lifetime.

Draconian attempts to "stay safe" (mask mandates, school closures, vaccine passports, asymptomatic testing, extended quarantines, etc) are futile in the long-run. Like other coronavirus' (see common cold), it will continue to mutate and these mutations will enable it to evade our first lines of defense. However, it is no longer a "novel" virus to our immune systems. Having seen the virus and vaccines, our immune systems are developing B-Cell and T-Cell memory that will allow us to fight future infections. It is what happens when a virus becomes endemic.

My wife and I were talking this morning. I am 42 an have now had covid as many times as I have had the flu. Crazy.
dogplasma
Future actions will probably depend on the virus/strain and the load it puts on the hospital system.

Has there been any informal estimate on when Omicron will be "over"? I just got out of the Covid tracking system at work for a close contact, and even though there was no physical impact on me, it was a minor hassle for others who had to cover for me until I was cleared. I'll be glad to see us stand down from our Covid posture, if that's possible. You're right, though - this is probably anew version of the annual flu.
Daviewolf83
dogplasma said:

Future actions will probably depend on the virus/strain and the load it puts on the hospital system.

Has there been any informal estimate on when Omicron will be "over"? I just got out of the Covid tracking system at work for a close contact, and even though there was no physical impact on me, it was a minor hassle for others who had to cover for me until I was cleared. I'll be glad to see us stand down from our Covid posture, if that's possible. You're right, though - this is probably anew version of the annual flu.
We should be mostly done with Omicron by late February/first of March. I saw an estimate yesterday that suggests, based on South Africa and the UK, that it takes 3 to 4 weeks after peak to reach the end of the Omicron surge. The Omicron surge occurred at the same time as the predicted Winter Wave and this would have peaked last week. We know cases in California, NY, MA, NH, and DC peaked last week and if you apply the past experience, it does take you to the end of February Some states may extend a little longer, since the Omicron/Winter Wave started later, so late February is a good target. By my estimates, we have peaked in North Carolina, but hospitalizations and deaths will remain high, since they are lagging indicators.

Of course, you can expect a small Wave in late March/early April, like we saw last year with Covid infections and like we see yearly with respiratory viruses. I also predict another Summer Wave will hit in early July in NC, as the weather turns hot and people head inside. This will apply to most of the Southeast.

As far as future impacts to hospitalization are concerned, we should have a growing supply of treatments as we move forward that should be effective in decreasing hospitalizations. At some point, health policies have to shift to treatment and away from draconian methods of trying to prevent/control viral spread. Boost the at-risk older populations and those who have immunocompromised positions. Remove mask mandates that have had little effect on spread and in many cases (see cloth masks) have been ineffective in controlling anything associated with an airborne virus. Schools should NEVER be closed for in-person learning again. Period. Full stop.
GuerrillaPack
The mafioso leprechaun says it may be time for another BOO-STAH.

You know what boosts me? My natural immune system. And eating healthy, getting enough vitamin C and D, etc.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
dogplasma
Thanks!
AlleyPack
Daviewolf83 said:

dogplasma said:

We should be mostly done with Omicron by late February/first of March. I saw an estimate yesterday that suggests, based on South Africa and the UK, that it takes 3 to 4 weeks after peak to reach the end of the Omicron surge. The Omicron surge occurred at the same time as the predicted Winter Wave and this would have peaked last week. We know cases in California, NY, MA, NH, and DC peaked last week and if you apply the past experience, it does take you to the end of February Some states may extend a little longer, since the Omicron/Winter Wave started later, so late February is a good target. By my estimates, we have peaked in North Carolina, but hospitalizations and deaths will remain high, since they are lagging indicators.

Of course, you can expect a small Wave in late March/early April, like we saw last year with Covid infections and like we see yearly with respiratory viruses. I also predict another Summer Wave will hit in early July in NC, as the weather turns hot and people head inside. This will apply to most of the Southeast.

As far as future impacts to hospitalization are concerned, we should have a growing supply of treatments as we move forward that should be effective in decreasing hospitalizations. At some point, health policies have to shift to treatment and away from draconian methods of trying to prevent/control viral spread. Boost the at-risk older populations and those who have immunocompromised positions. Remove mask mandates that have had little effect on spread and in many cases (see cloth masks) have been ineffective in controlling anything associated with an airborne virus. Schools should NEVER be closed for in-person learning again. Period. Full stop.

Serious question:
If we're mostly done with Omicron in another month or so, then what would be next? The return of Delta? A new strain?
Thanks
dogplasma
Probably either famine or locusts.
Bellhenmar
AlleyPack said:

Daviewolf83 said:

dogplasma said:

Serious question:
If we're mostly done with Omicron in another month or so, then what would be next? The return of Delta? A new strain?
Thanks
This disease will continue to evolve like most all viruses do. The positive to omicron is it's relatively mild compared to the previous forms. The hope would be it will continue to evolve to be less deadly and eventually become a non factor. However, the government for whatever reason refuses to accept that natural immunity helps fend off covid. Having said that, natural immunity from prev forms of covid did not protect against omicron which is why we saw McCullough saying if you've ever had covid you will never contract it again, changed to you could get it twice. My question would be is omicron really covid like the other forms we've seen or is it actually a different disease. My hope is it is covid, now virtually all of our population has some form of protection against covid for 3-4 months and the disease has no one left to attack and dies off. But that's just me being hopeful.
Werewolf
#Devolution #Expand Your Thinking #Eye of The Storm #TheGreatAwakening
caryking
Civilized said:

Civ, you say that; however, how many times do you think either Bill of Jon have and/or will vote for a republican?

My suspicion is ZERO!!

They will continue to vote for the same (type) people that they are *****ing about!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Civilized
caryking said:

Civilized said:

Civ, you say that; however, how many times do you think either Bill of Jon have and/or will vote for a republican?

My suspicion is ZERO!!

They will continue to vote for the same (type) people that they are *****ing about!

They're both liberal commentators/comedians so my guess is not often.

I do still think Maher reads as more politically centrist than Stewart.

Stewart's (bipartisan) congressional lobbying and activism for benefits for 9/11 first responders over the years has been tireless though. He's done really incredible advocacy work for responders and their families which is awesome to see no matter where you sit.
caryking
Civilized said:

caryking said:

Civilized said:

My suspicion is ZERO!!

They're both liberal commentators/comedians so my guess is not often.

I do still think Maher reads as more politically centrist than Stewart.

Stewart's (bipartisan) congressional lobbying and activism for benefits for 9/11 first responders over the years has been tireless though. He's done really incredible advocacy work for responders and their families which is awesome to see no matter where you sit.

I agree. Anybody who takes their time to help others is a non-partisan action. That being said, we all can voice opinions about certain issues; however, if we continue to vote for the same people that created the issue, then...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Civilized
Judy Mikovits? This Judy Mikovits?

Science.org: Fact-checking Judy Mikovits

Bas2020
This young lady is speaking for most of America I believe (and she's a liberal)

packgrad
RunsWithWolves26
Just found out my grandma tested positive for the second time. She has sounded bad the past couple days on the phone. **** covid!
statefan91
Hopefully this trend continues

statefan91
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Just found out my grandma tested positive for the second time. She has sounded bad the past couple days on the phone. **** covid!
Sorry to hear - hopefully gets through it quickly
Civilized
She owned it first time around, I'm sure she'll do just fine the second. Good luck to her!!
packgrad
It's unfortunate this idiot helps dictate policy.

GuerrillaPack
packgrad said:

It's unfortunate this idiot helps dictate policy.

I read this in his creepy whispering into the microphone voice.

But he's not acting so imperious now that the Supreme Court shot down some of his edicts. If that had not occurred, it's scary to think how much this would have escalated the dictatorial behavior. Instead of asking us "pretty please" to wear a mask, he'd probably already be drafting the orders to get OSHA to mandate masks in the workplace, mandate OSHA to implement vaccine passports for customers of all businesses, and more.

I got a better idea kid sniffer Joe....please go to hell you communist pile of ****.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wayland
Wayland

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/protect-kids-faulty-risk-assessments-covid-resilience/621353/

Not sure I will ever get over what these monomaniacs are doing to kids.
packgrad
Agreed, and great article.
PackFansXL
Quote:

Most children are neither in grave danger nor do they pose a grave danger to othersespecially now that vaccines are widely, freely availablebut we routinely treat them as if they were. And the media have too often fanned the flames of parents' fears instead of quelling them, keeping us stuck in the amygdala portion of our response to COVID risk. A characteristic column from December called attending day care "playing Russian roulette with our children's lives," but no outlet would run similar sentiments from a mother who refused to put her kids in a car or near a poolboth scenarios much more statistically risky to children.
That was a remarkably conservative piece coming from a usually very progressive source. Thanks for sharing. Perhaps it indicates a return to reasoned thinking, in regards to the pandemic, is finally approaching.
Wayland
PackFansXL said:

Quote:

Most children are neither in grave danger nor do they pose a grave danger to othersespecially now that vaccines are widely, freely availablebut we routinely treat them as if they were. And the media have too often fanned the flames of parents' fears instead of quelling them, keeping us stuck in the amygdala portion of our response to COVID risk. A characteristic column from December called attending day care "playing Russian roulette with our children's lives," but no outlet would run similar sentiments from a mother who refused to put her kids in a car or near a poolboth scenarios much more statistically risky to children.
That was a remarkably conservative piece coming from a usually very progressive source. Thanks for sharing. Perhaps it indicates a return to reasoned thinking, in regards to the pandemic, is finally approaching.

The Atlantic has had a few good articles like this, and I appreciate them using their platform to post pieces like this.

As someone who's own politics don't fit well in a neat box with with current political parties... I think articles like this and Bari Weiss' rant on Bill Maher on Friday show that there is a broader consensus on a lot of these issues and letting 'kids be kids' is not some kind of far right extremist only view.

But we are letting a handful of extreme covidphobic monomaniacs and elites continue to dictate failed policies and attempt to shame any who disagree.

The more rational and center/left people that speak up the better because we need all the voices to quell these hysterics in public health, policy, and entertainment/media.
First Page Last Page
Page 445 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.