Coronavirus

2,028,359 Views | 19873 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10654-021-00808-7

Interesting look at new case rates vs county/country vaccination rates
Mormad
https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2414

Summary of the Lancet shutting down the task force to look into the origins of covid-19 because of conflicts of interest among the investigators.
Wayland
Mormad said:

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2414

Summary of the Lancet shutting down the task force to look into the origins of covid-19 because of conflicts of interest among the investigators.
The bad cat had a similar discussion around these guys today. He isn't much for capitalization or QA. He is out there, but at least provides interesting food for thought.

https://boriquagato.substack.com/p/peter-daszak-supervillain-origin

TheStorm
Mormad said:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10654-021-00808-7

Interesting look at new case rates vs county/country vaccination rates
Yep. Just like a lot of people have said previously... Blue state superiority and all that jazz is the real "big lie".
packgrad
TheStorm
packgrad said:

And another totally predictable statistic...
Oldsouljer
Predictable indeed. Masks provide no practical level of protection against viruses as most studies prior to 2020 indicate.
Ripper
Of course flimsy cloth and surgical masks do nothing for Covid 19. That was established before Covid and still holds true. It is literally political theater. Mask mandates started out to show that the authorities are trying to "do something" and has now morphed into a cynical power play.
PackPA2015
Bangladesh Study on Masks

Actually, surgical (specifically) masks have shown benefit in a RCT by reducing spread. I think one of the important arms of the trial was increasing proper use of these masks with education and providing free masks to individuals within the study.
packgrad
They started with mask mandates, now vaccines, now who can work where. It's all upside.
Wayland
PackPA2015 said:

Actually, surgical (specifically) masks have shown benefit in a RCT by reducing spread. I think one of the important arms of the trial was increasing proper use of these masks with education and providing free masks to individuals within the study.
Certainly worth reviewing surgical masks further despite the flaws in the study, but the age stratification on effectiveness was super odd.

This is another take on that same study, Feel free to go all the way down the thread.

EDIT: the bad cat weighing in: https://boriquagato.substack.com/p/bangladesh-mask-study-do-not-believe
Ripper
PackPA2015 said:

LOL
PackPA2015
Wayland said:

PackPA2015 said:

Certainly worth reviewing surgical masks further despite the flaws in the study, but the age stratification on effectiveness was super odd.

This is another take on that same study, Feel free to go all the way down the thread.

EDIT: the bad cat weighing in: https://boriquagato.substack.com/p/bangladesh-mask-study-do-not-believe
Yep, not a perfect study, as we have none.

As I mentioned in my original post that the most important piece of the study in my opinion was that proper education increased mask adherence (and proper wearing of a mask) which likely contributed to the lower transmission.

I noticed that Vinay Prasad has posted a few tweets that he was happy someone actually ran a RCT on it and that we need to continue to study it.

ETA: Who is the bad cat??
Wayland
PackPA2015 said:

Wayland said:

PackPA2015 said:

Yep, not a perfect study, as we have none.

As I mentioned in my original post that the most important piece of the study in my opinion was that proper education increased mask adherence (and proper wearing of a mask) which likely contributed to the lower transmission.

I noticed that Vinay Prasad has posted a few tweets that he was happy someone actually ran a RCT on it and that we need to continue to study it.

ETA: Who is the bad cat??
Even if the claim that surgical masks marginally reduced COVID risk ONLY in people over 50 in these villages, which is slightly dubious. But, I guess we can review.

Then we get to claim that cloth masks have been entirely useless this whole time and been nothing more than theater. Which means this intervention of widespread masking (primarily cloth) that Public Health has been thumping their chests over for the last year and a half as doing something, is a complete lie.

And again, I think public health should be fully culpable for any individual who believed they were protected by a cloth mask and took undue risk because of the promise of masking efficacy. It was a lie to promote an image that government was 'taking action' and to encourage people to get out. And it continues to be a massive failure.

Public health/government is so deep in this lie, that they can't step away. Some people will never again let go of this talisman. Completely their right, but sad that it is born of misinformation.

There are certainly specific times, quality of masking, and diseases where masking is appropriate. Population level masking for COVID is not one.

I would have loved for mask mandates to actually have made a difference. They don't.

PackPA2015
I think that is another useful piece of the study - the fact that cloth masks did not provide any benefit whatsoever. That was, and is, a huge mistake and was used as a "well, we are doing something" approach. I totally agree on that.

I think the important takeaways from the study are that:
1. We need better and more RCTs on all of our NPIs, and PIs for that matter. This is how we learn what works and what does not.
2. This is a start to show that cloth masks do not work and there is a benefit, although small, that surgical masks do have an impact on transmission. Before vaccinations, CDC/WHO/NIH, etc. were grasping at straws to find anything that would help slow down transmission, hospitalizations, and deaths. I think we can all agree that a lot was wrong, but any benefit at the time was helpful.
3. Proper, evidence-based education can go a long way in treating disease.
4. Vaccines and current therapeutics (not many, but a few) are our new way of slowing transmission. The importance of masks is much less than it was previously. However, in the right population (immunocompromised, etc.), we can now advise that surgical masks should be the preferred route in keeping those folks healthy and well. For anyone reading, please do not think I am promoting mask mandates with this evidence. I know some will, but I do not agree with that in our current situation.

ETA: highlighted the point about mandates. I am NOT arguing for mandates. But, I also do not agree that masks, themselves, specifically surgical masks have no impact on COVID-19 transmission.

dogplasma
Good news for J&J recipients like myself: We may have a J&J booster available by the end of the month.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/10/05/1043332922/johnson-vaccine-booster-fda-authorization-jj
Wayland
PackPA2015 said:

I think that is another useful piece of the study - the fact that cloth masks did not provide any benefit whatsoever. That was, and is, a huge mistake and was used as a "well, we are doing something" approach. I totally agree on that.

I think the important takeaways from the study are that:
1. We need better and more RCTs on all of our NPIs, and PIs for that matter. This is how we learn what works and what does not.
2. This is a start to show that cloth masks do not work and there is a benefit, although small, that surgical masks do have an impact on transmission. Before vaccinations, CDC/WHO/NIH, etc. were grasping at straws to find anything that would help slow down transmission, hospitalizations, and deaths. I think we can all agree that a lot was wrong, but any benefit at the time was helpful.
3. Proper, evidence-based education can go a long way in treating disease.
4. Vaccines and current therapeutics (not many, but a few) are our new way of slowing transmission. The importance of masks is much less than it was previously. However, in the right population (immunocompromised, etc.), we can now advise that surgical masks should be the preferred route in keeping those folks healthy and well. For anyone reading, please do not think I am promoting mask mandates with this evidence. I know some will, but I do not agree with that in our current situation.

ETA: highlighted the point about mandates. I am NOT arguing for mandates. But, I also do not agree that masks, themselves, specifically surgical masks have no impact on COVID-19 transmission.

Sorry, I am just a little heated up this morning, may be lashing out.

Since I don't think I can ever forgive Public Health for capitulating to unions and decimating schools. We saw even in the spring of 2020 in Europe that despite pandemic waves schools did not exacerbate community spread... and yet here we are still doing a song and dance a year and a half later.

We opened schools at the ABSOLUTE peak of identified cases for the entire pandemic in children in the Southeast US this fall. And what happened.... all over... regardless of local restrictions... or mask mandates... or whatever other theater localities are still engaged in????

Despite kids being in schools everywhere.... cases dropped..... regardless of the level of local theater or lack thereof.

Just an aside, that I needed to say today.... not directed at your or the current discussion... just still mad that schools weren't fully open last year and are still in part chaos this year.
Oldsouljer
PackPA2015 said:

This study was posted on this thread some weeks ago. After actually reading it from first page to last, I wasn't all that sure that the experimental design was sound. Maybe it is. But I also make it a point to find out who funds these studies and this one was underwritten by a left coast think tank or foundation managed by a guy out of UC-Berkeley, so I'm not sure who got what for the money.
GuerrillaPack
So what did our senile, child-sniffing communist NWO puppet in chief say today about his tyrannical vaxx mandate plan?

Commie manlet god emperor says you should "give up your rights for the greater good":

https://instagr.am/p/CUunMgpNm1i
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Ripper
Oldsouljer said:

PackPA2015 said:

This study was posted on this thread some weeks ago. After actually reading it from first page to last, I wasn't all that sure that the experimental design was sound. Maybe it is. But I also make it a point to find out who funds these studies and this one was underwritten by a left coast think tank or foundation managed by a guy out of UC-Berkeley, so I'm not sure who got what for the money.
That Bangladesh "study" was a total sham. Many people want masks to work in preventing Covid 19. It's just not the case. And using anecdotal non controlled observations in hospitals will not make it true as well.
PackPA2015
Since everyone loves to post tweets by Vinay Prasad, here is his article on the Bangladesh study on masks.

Vinay Prasad Article
packgrad
packgrad
Vaccinate the children they say….

packgrad said:

Oldsouljer
In all the years I was at NIH, the ethics of their clinical studies was guided by the overriding principle of "informed consent" of the patient. It seems that overnight, NIH's vaunted ethics went right into the dumpster.
Jtbridges317
When will the people who have gotten the vaccine admit that they were played? I mean if you genuinely feel it was best, great. But damn, quit trying to force the **** on everyone else.

The goal posts keep moving and people are suckers for it. At first it was you only need one shot, then it was two, now it's boosters. I mean come on man. I get most of us on here are college educated but did we not miss out on the critical thinking classes?
Mormad
Jtbridges317 said:

When will the people who have gotten the vaccine admit that they were played? I mean if you genuinely feel it was best, great. But damn, quit trying to force the **** on everyone else.

The goal posts keep moving and people are suckers for it. At first it was you only need one shot, then it was two, now it's boosters. I mean come on man. I get most of us on here are college educated but did we not miss out on the critical thinking classes?

Idk, man. That's tough. Who lacked the critical thinking? Those who "got played" into accepting a vaccine that has allowed Davie to post such favorable data, or those who didn't understand the actions of respiratory viruses enough to be somehow perplexed that treatment and vaccine effectiveness/ immunity may wane such that boosters or infection spikes would be predictable? I just think the people who failed to recognize that a coronavirus would act in such a manner and couldn't see this coming were either blinded by bias or lacked understanding. Maybe both groups lack critical thinking in their own rite?
caryking

On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
TheStorm
I'm looking forward to the next round of Wayland and Davie's updated NCDHHS charts as well as the latest system updates from Mormad and PA...
Mormad
Our numbers are slowly dropping (about 150 admitted down to about 120) and electives are opening back up over the next 2 wks. Yeah baby.
dogplasma
Jtbridges317 said:

Are you being sarcastic? What are you talking about? Pfizer and Moderna were always two-shot vaccines. Boosters were always a possibility just like they are for any vaccine. Boosters just weren't worth talking about back when the initial vaccines were rolled out and we were trying to get everyone their first doses.
Glasswolf
Jtbridges317 said:

I got my second Pfizer in April. It was always a 2 shot deal and I was told a booster would most likely be needed in 6 months. J&J was the only one shot vaccine, so I don't know what you are referring to by moving the goal post. I'm scheduled to get my booster November 1st as is my wife
mrcpack17
Nearly all of congress is also vaccinated. But yeah, it's probably the horse dewormer.
TheStorm
Key words "being over the last 15 months"... to me that would mean going back to July of 2020.
Mormad
Maybe somebody can find a better number, but according to what i could find as of oct 1 only 85 federal officials have been diagnosed with covid. 100-200 have had it? And ALL chose to be treated with I-MASK+ I'm assuming to get numbers that high?

Interestingly, Pierre just got covid from his daughter despite MASK prophylaxis

MATH+, according to his own tweets, isn't working

MASK+ appears to be significantly more expensive than even the most expensive vaccine available and requires you to take 6 pills/day for the life of the pandemic

MASK+ recommends mask use
caryking
mrcpack17 said:

Nearly all of congress is also vaccinated. But yeah, it's probably the horse dewormer.
Hell, even WebMD has instructions for humans to take Ivermectin... in other words take your horse dewormer comment and stick it up your A$$!!

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1122/ivermectin-oral/details

On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
First Page Last Page
Page 391 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.