Coronavirus

2,012,722 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Werewolf
PackMom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PackPA2015 said:

AlleyPack said:

Have any of you in the medical field heard/seen any instances of people with elevated heart rates after getting the vaccine shot? (and prolonged -- like for multiple days)

thanks

Yes, we have had several patients have that. Typically it resolves on its own after 2-3 days. The longest I have seen it last is 1 week. Usually, it is benign and has no ill effects for the short- or long-term. But, if it is lasting longer than 1 week, they should definitely go to their PCP.
Eeeek. I guess getting it on Friday afternoon wasn't the best idea.

Storm, no, you don't have to live in Guilford to sign up. Guilford residents can go through the health dept which is what it sounds like your mom did. I don't know if Guilford residents can sign up through Cone or not, but Cone was very responsive for several people I know who don't live in Guilford. Alamance hasn't opened it up to 65+ yet. Still have to be 75 or a health care provider. They got on the waiting list, got an email with a link, and signed up for appointments.
acslater1344
Daviewolf83 said:

acslater1344 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

So the federal government is supposed to know which states need their hands held and which are competent enough to do what they were told and formulate viable plans for distribution? If roll out was consistently bad across the country, then you can make a case that it was the feds fault. But a large number of states have done a great job, so clearly it's possible. This isn't rocket science, you have x number of vaccines and x number of people that need it, and months to prepare. Competent state leadership should have no problem making that work, no matter if Kermit the frog was president.

Feds should be in a project management type of role IMO. They're the only entity with insight into what's working in certain states versus what isn't. Now, the states that are doing a poor job of administering shots are primarily to blame for sure, but if the Fed Gov't had a team of capable PMPs, they'd be able to get those states moving in a better direction. Biden & Co need to get that figured out, ASAP.
Maybe I should apply. I have been a project manager for over 20 years and am a PMP as well. I've been a PMP since 1999. I also had to go through an additional certification step with the company I worked for at the time to stay in my PM job classification and it was more thorough than the PMP certification criteria. On top of this, I have an undergraduate degree in Industrial Engineering, so I do know a thing or two about processes and systems.

This is one of the reasons I have been so frustrated with how NC and other states have handled the vaccine rollout. I see so many areas that can be improved. I agree the Biden administration now has the responsibility to get it figured out, but I am not expecting miracles and changes overnight. I hope a fresh set of eyes will accelerate the vaccination rate even more.

The good news - the US is tracking to achieve 1M vaccinations per day and based on the current trajectory, they should achieve this in the next week (assuming nothing changes to interrupt supply). President Biden's plan to hit 100 million vaccinations in 100 days is very doable and it should be "sleeves out of his vest" at this point.

I am tracking the daily administration of vaccine doses and by late next week, I will begin posting a graph showing how the US and NC are doing with regards to these goals. To achieve the goals, the US needs to be vaccinating 1M people per day and NC needs to be vaccinating 32,000 people per day. By 5/1, the US needs to have at least 100M doses in people's arms vaccinated and NC needs to have 3.2M vaccination doses completed. This is in addition to the 17M doses the US has already administered and the 460K doses NC has administered.

That doesn't surprise me one bit, Davie. You've got hundreds of IPS posters to use a referrals, myself included.
TheStorm
PackMom said:

PackPA2015 said:

AlleyPack said:

Have any of you in the medical field heard/seen any instances of people with elevated heart rates after getting the vaccine shot? (and prolonged -- like for multiple days)

thanks

Yes, we have had several patients have that. Typically it resolves on its own after 2-3 days. The longest I have seen it last is 1 week. Usually, it is benign and has no ill effects for the short- or long-term. But, if it is lasting longer than 1 week, they should definitely go to their PCP.
Eeeek. I guess getting it on Friday afternoon wasn't the best idea.

Storm, no, you don't have to live in Guilford to sign up. Guilford residents can go through the health dept which is what it sounds like your mom did. I don't know if Guilford residents can sign up through Cone or not, but Cone was very responsive for several people I know who don't live in Guilford. Alamance hasn't opened it up to 65+ yet. Still have to be 75 or a health care provider. They got on the waiting list, got an email with a link, and signed up for appointments.
My mom died of covid (asymptomatic) in a nursing home in Alamance County on September 25... I'm talking about, as I thought that I clearly stated previously - my mother-in-law - who is only 75 and still indepently fully alive and was notified earlier this week that they would set up a phone line where you have to wait on hold for 1-2 hours to set up that appointment - and yes, you had to bring that photo ID to prove that you were who you said you were and that you were 75 or over...

Not really sure about what we're even arguing about here...
waynecountywolf
Coming soon to Harry Teeters

Harris Teeter to provide COVID vaccines in all of its stores, starting in SC

Publix and HT to offer vax

Publix,too

PackMom
Storm, I'm really sorry. You did say your mother-in-law and I got ahead of myself typing. I'm very sorry about your mother, and I certainly wasn't trying to argue, just sharing the information I'd been given, that people from outside Guilford had to go through Cone. As it turned out, I was able to get an appointment without special arrangements.

Again, my apologies.
TheStorm
I mean it's as if someone is implying that my 75 y/o mother-in-law (or me) is lying... geez. I told you exactly what she was told by the county... she didn't have any special arrangements made for her to get a shot, she had to follow the public instructions!

I need to get off these boards for a while.
packgrad
Fauci debunks Democrat media propaganda that Biden starting from scratch.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/fauci-debunks-cnn-says-bidens-vaccine-rollout-not-starting-from-scratch-after-reporting-trump-had-no-plan
Mormad
TheStorm said:

I mean it's as if someone is implying that my 75 y/o mother-in-law (or me) is lying... geez. I told you exactly what she was told by the county... she didn't have any special arrangements made for her to get a shot, she had to follow the public instructions!

I need to get off these boards for a while.

Haha welcome to my world. Me too, man. Me too. PackMom is really good people tho, I'm absolutely confident she meant no disrespect.

You've asked me about your mom's situation before without fully telling me it was your mom (I think). I am so sorry to hear that and I'm sorry for your loss. Lost my dad in Feb. It's like a piece of me is missing. Godspeed, bud.
Oldsouljer
Steve Williams said:

This should be interesting to track. Didn't we just rejoin the WHO?

I'd like to know what cycle count they were using. Most real time PCR users reject any positives that show up after cycle 36.
Daviewolf83
Oldsouljer said:

Steve Williams said:

This should be interesting to track. Didn't we just rejoin the WHO?

I'd like to know what cycle count they were using. Most real time PCR users reject any positives that show up after cycle 36.
NC's state testing lab (Thermo Fisher equipment) uses 37 cycles, according to an article in the NY Times a few months ago. When Mandy was questioned about the number of cycles used a month or so ago, she deferred the decision on the appropriate number of cycles to the testing labs. It is possible they have lowered cycles, since the article was written.
Oldsouljer
Hmm, well, running it out to 37 certainly amplifies the sensitivity but that's what also brings on the false positives. I use rtPCR to test for Helicobacter and never accept a nudge over 36. Moreover, I use template positive controls at 10^2 and 10^5 as well as at least one internal positive control, usually 18s mouse DNA or a Jellyfish protein, to make sure that what I'm picking up is real. Isn't it both ironic and interesting that modern vaccine phobia (causes autism and other urban legends) was started by a careless researcher who misused PCR technology?
WolfQuacker
Oldsouljer said:

Hmm, well, running it out to 37 certainly amplifies the sensitivity but that's what also brings on the false positives. I use rtPCR to test for Helicobacter and never accept a nudge over 36. Moreover, I use template positive controls at 10^2 and 10^5 as well as at least one internal positive control, usually 18s mouse DNA or a Jellyfish protein, to make sure that what I'm picking up is real. Isn't it both ironic and interesting that modern vaccine phobia (causes autism and other urban legends) was started by a careless researcher who misused PCR technology?
Ooooh. Interesting. I'll have to research this. Do you have a good source offhand? I can just google it but if you know a good read. Sounds like a Netflix documentary waiting to happen.
Daviewolf83
Oldsouljer said:

Thanks for the insight. In the same article, they included some input from people with experience with PCR testing that suggested the CT was much too high and was catching people who were no longer infected. In some cases, they said tests were being run with CT's as high as 40. The recommendation of the experts quoted were an upper threshold of 35 and a realistic range would be 30-35.

Is it possible the CT was set higher to insure the test was catching everyone possible and limiting the amount of false negatives? For example, to account for inconsistent sample collection methods, could they have set it higher? My son was tested over 60 times from June to the day of his bowl game (tested immediately after the game) and he said that the sample collection was not always consistent. Some collectors went deep, while others did not go as deep for the sample.
waynecountywolf
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-01-21-21/h_7483bb33084f55012d1a9bff11153467

It may be OK to mix and match Covid-19 vaccines in "exceptional situations," CDC says

From CNN Health's Michael Nedelman

While the two authorized Covid-19 vaccines are "not interchangeable," it may be acceptable to get one dose of each in order to complete both doses, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in guidance updated Thursday.

The guidance, which comes amid concerns surrounding vaccine supply and distribution, applies to Pfizer/BioNTech's and Moderna's vaccines.
"In exceptional situations in which the first-dose vaccine product cannot be determined or is no longer available, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses," the CDC says.
"If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time."

CDC says the safety and efficacy of switching vaccines hasn't been evaluated. "Every effort should be made" to keep track of which vaccine people received and ensure they get the same one for their second dose several weeks later, the recommendations say.

hokiewolf
Oldsouljer said:

How was your stay at the Holiday Inn Express?
waynecountywolf
The state health department is working to address concerns that the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is not adequately representing the state's vaccine progress on a website where it releases vaccine data. The CDC data on Wednesday ranked North Carolina as the 11th slowest state in the country in administering doses per capita and underrepresented the number of doses North Carolina has administered to date by about 150,000.
Cohen urged people to look at the state's dashboard for the latest numbers, rather than the CDC.
"Many of those rankings and charts are out of date," Cohen said. "We've actually already flagged for the CDC to understand what the data lag and data discrepancy is between what we're seeing here in North Carolina and the data we do submit to them every night to make sure that we can line that up a bit better."
The Trump administration said earlier this month that it would base vaccine allocations on the percentage of doses each state has successfully administered and the number of elderly residents in each state, but President Joe Biden's pick to lead the agency has not yet been confirmed or put forward new guidance.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/article248672350.html#storylink=cpy

Daviewolf83
waynecountywolf said:

The state health department is working to address concerns that the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is not adequately representing the state's vaccine progress on a website where it releases vaccine data. The CDC data on Wednesday ranked North Carolina as the 11th slowest state in the country in administering doses per capita and underrepresented the number of doses North Carolina has administered to date by about 150,000.
Cohen urged people to look at the state's dashboard for the latest numbers, rather than the CDC.
"Many of those rankings and charts are out of date," Cohen said. "We've actually already flagged for the CDC to understand what the data lag and data discrepancy is between what we're seeing here in North Carolina and the data we do submit to them every night to make sure that we can line that up a bit better."
The Trump administration said earlier this month that it would base vaccine allocations on the percentage of doses each state has successfully administered and the number of elderly residents in each state, but President Joe Biden's pick to lead the agency has not yet been confirmed or put forward new guidance.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/article248672350.html#storylink=cpy

Here's what is currently being shown on the two sites for NC, along with some info on the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker:

CDC Site:
Vaccine Doses Administered: 473,282

The CDC site was updated yesterday, but they do not always update all the info. Every Wednesday afternoon, they do provide a complete update.

NCDHHS Site (Tuesday's update):
Received 1st Dose: 344,456
Received 2nd Dose: 60,073
LTC Facilities: 54,385
Total: 458,914

NCDHHS Site (Updated today with additional details):
Received 1st Dose: 424,427
Received 2nd Dose: 76,293
LTC Facilities: 72,563
Total: 573,130

Due to delays associate with the CDC updates and the delays in NC's updates (they have been only updating once a week) I have been using the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker for a few weeks. It has proven to be a better source for vaccine updates on a daily basis for all states and in many cases, they have had data posted for NC in advance of the NCDHHS update. For example, as of today Bloomberg has captured NCDHHS' latest updates and they also have updated the vaccine dose allocations for NC. The vaccine dose allocations are not presented on the NCDHHS website.

If you use the current vaccinations reported on the NCDHHS website, it would say that NC has administered 49.5% of their allocated vaccine doses. Based on the latest updates, NC ranks 25 out of the 50 states for administration of their available vaccine doses. This will change as soon as the federal government allocates more vaccine supply or as NC vaccinates more people.

You can view the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker at the following link:
Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker
TheStorm
Daviewolf83 said:

waynecountywolf said:

Here's what is currently being shown on the two sites for NC, along with some info on the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker:

CDC Site:

The CDC site was updated yesterday, but they do not always update all the info. Every Wednesday afternoon, they do provide a complete update.

Due to delays associate with the CDC updates and the delays in NC's updates (they have been only updating once a week) I have been using the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker for a few weeks. It has proven to be a better source for vaccine updates on a daily basis for all states and in many cases, they have had data posted for NC in advance of the NCDHHS update. For example, as of today Bloomberg has captured NCDHHS' latest updates and they also have updated the vaccine dose allocations for NC. The vaccine dose allocations are not presented on the NCDHHS website.

If you use the current vaccinations reported on the NCDHHS website, it would say that NC has administered 49.5% of their allocated vaccine doses. Based on the latest updates, NC ranks 25 out of the 50 states for administration of their available vaccine doses. This will change as soon as the federal government allocates more vaccine supply or as NC vaccinates more people.

Was Mandy telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth... that is the question?
Daviewolf83
TheStorm said:

Daviewolf83 said:

waynecountywolf said:

CDC Site:

Was Mandy telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth... that is the question?
I wonder if the N&O asked Mandy about the NCDHHS delays in death reporting to the CDC. NC currently ranks last in updating the death reporting to the CDC. They have not updated the data since September.
WPNfamily
Daviewolf83 said:

TheStorm said:

Daviewolf83 said:

waynecountywolf said:

CDC Site:

I wonder if the N&O asked Mandy about the NCDHHS delays in death reporting to the CDC. NC currently ranks last in updating the death reporting to the CDC. They have not updated the data since September.

They could still be trying to catch up from the over reporting....
Oldsouljer
WolfQuacker said:

Oldsouljer said:

Ooooh. Interesting. I'll have to research this. Do you have a good source offhand? I can just google it but if you know a good read. Sounds like a Netflix documentary waiting to happen.
Look up Stephen Bustin and/or MIQE standards. Bustin (helluva name for what he ended up being famous from), is the guy who figured out that the since-discredited researcher who claimed he'd linked the measles vaccine to autism was full of it, and Bustin is subsequently known for developing the MIQE standards which provide Quality Assurance for the exquisitely sensitively rtPCR technique. Today, any reputable peer-reviewed science journal will insist that adherence to MIQE must be demonstrated in any paper submitted for publication in which rtPCR was utilized.
Oldsouljer
WolfQuacker said:

Oldsouljer said:

Sorry, forgot to provide a relevant link.....here's one that talks about PCR expert Bustin and his role in busting the MMR-autism hoax.

https://bjgp.org/content/57/541/679
packgrad
Mormad
Thanks for the link. That was a simply beautiful read
Civilized
Seems pretty clear he's taking about in regard to Americans that are currently under dire economic distress due to the pandemic. And he's right.

Even doing all we can, gig economy, service work, and hospitality likely aren't rebounding till Q3 at the earliest, maybe longer.
packgrad
Civilized said:

Seems pretty clear he's taking about in regard to Americans that are currently under dire economic distress due to the pandemic. And he's right.

Even doing all we can, gig economy, service work, and hospitality likely aren't rebounding till Q3 at the earliest, maybe longer.

They could. The election infection lockdowns are already opening up in Democrat cities/states. I doubt it will take that long. Mission has been accomplished. Chicago, MI, NY are already opening. up. It's pretty clear he's trying to lower expectations since he has no plan.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

They could. The election infection lockdowns are already opening up in Democrat cities/states. I doubt it will take that long. Mission has been accomplished. Chicago, MI, NY are already opening. up. It's pretty clear he's trying to lower expectations since he has no plan.

They could bounce back quicker. I badly hope they do; if they do it means the virus is dissipating and we're all winning.
Daviewolf83
Some updates on vaccinations and vaccine development:

1. On Face the Nation this morning, Dr. Fauci Dr. Anthony Fauci said the Biden Administration's vaccination goal is 100 million "shots in arms within 100 days" and not 100 people vaccinated. He estimated this will mean 67 million people will be vaccinated. Some will be fully vaccinated and some will have received one dose.

Personally, I believe the 100 million doses in 100 days is not a new goal, since we were already tracking to this number prior to President Biden taking office. It is basically "sleeves out of his vest", since it is an accomplishment that would have likely occurred without any additional action on his administration's part, beyond what is already being done to ramp up vaccinations. A more aggressive goal would be 150 to 200 million vaccine doses in 100 days. There are indications we will have enough vaccine supply to achieve a higher goal and the states are starting to show significant improvements in vaccination rates.

As I have indicated before, I am tracking against this target, both for the US and NC and will provide updates starting next week with regards to how we are doing in meeting this goal.

2. Reports indicate the Johnson and Johnson vaccine trial could be close to concluding and there could be a read-out in the next couple of weeks. This was actually expected by some this past week, but it appears the reports are not ready yet. Dr. Fauci said a couple of days ago that we could have the J&J vaccine approved by mid-February. It might be possible if J&J submits their data and EUA to the FDA the first week of February, but it will be tight. A J&J board member said they may have 100 million doses available this Spring by end of April, but other reports I have seen indicate this may be difficult. Hopefully, we will get more clarity on supply in a couple of weeks when the EUA is filed. Two advantages of the J&J vaccine are that it does not need to be kept at super-cold temperatures (refrigerator temps are fine) and it only requires one dose, so supplies do not need to be reserved for a second dose.

3. For the AstraZeneca vaccine, it is still going through trials in the US. It was approved for use in the UK in December and Brazil in January. The AstraZeneca vaccine is a vector vaccine, like the J&J vaccine. However, it will require two shots to be fully effective, unlike the one-shot J&J vaccine. The trial results for the US and other countries have been a little confusing, but it appears efficacy could be around 70%. While good, this is not as effective as the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines. The AstraZeneca vaccine could be submitted for EUA by the end of March.

4. The Novavax vaccine entered Phase 3 trials in December and they are enrolling 30,000 participants in the US and Mexico. The vaccine requires two doses, given 21 days apart. Novavax expects to have results for this trial by early first quarter of this year.

5. There was a very good article posted yesterday on Operation Warp Speed and how well it worked in getting Covid-19 vaccines developed. I encourage everyone to read it. It was written by someone I have followed on Twitter for months - Alicia Smith. She has been on top of the vaccine development news for months. You can read the article at the following link:

Operation Warp Speed's Success

WPNfamily
Great article. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear someone who knows confirming our tax dollars did make a difference in getting the vaccine developed so fast.

Pretty amazing to see the rate at which the number of shots increased from week to week.
PackMom
For what it's worth, this was our experience signing up through Cone. Process may change since NC pulled all of their doses for this week and they have to reschedule 10,000 people.

We are both eligible due to age. Signed up on the Cone health waiting list. We do not live in Guilford County. Guilford County residents can go through the health department to sign up. Received email from Cone and signed up. Told no ID was required but to bring insurance cards if we had them.

Showed up at GSO Coliseum. People were directed down different lines based on whether they signed up through the health department or Cone. Filled out a form, then directed to waiting area to sit. Called to a desk where they took the information from the sheets and entered it into the computer. Appointment for second shot made at this time. Did not ask for insurance cards at any point. Then sent to the injection tables where we were asked a few more questions and received the vaccine. They took us to the observation area where they set a 15 minute timer. When that went off they said that was it and we left.

Good luck to those searching for an opportunity!

statefan91
My grandparents got theirs a couple weeks ago in Brevard, and now my parents are getting theirs this weekend at Bank of America stadium in Charlotte.
packgrad
I'm scheduled to get my first shot this weekend.
statefan91
packgrad said:

Great news
Civilized
packgrad said:

Nice! What county?
packgrad
Durham
First Page Last Page
Page 216 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.