Coronavirus

2,006,923 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
JasonNCSU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife got her second dose yesterday... got it around 9:30AM... was fine all day, just some minor arm soreness until about 10PM, then in about a 30 minute span spiked a fever, headache, body aches, chills, nausea and increased arm pain... she also said she just felt like her skin was crawling... was a rough night of sleep, but woke up feeling better... still a headache and some nausea, fever was gone though... has been feeling a little better each hour that passes and we are hoping that trend continues throughout the day... we expected side effects, but surprised by how rapidly they came on...
FlossyDFlynt
wilmwolf80 said:

Another personal anecdote, a friend who is a nurse in a doctor's office received her first shot yesterday. She reported that her arm was really sore after, but this morning she woke up with nausea and a very bad headache. Seems to be fairly common for what I've seen.
My sister had a similar experience. She didnt necessarily feel bad, but she tried to go about her day as normal and realized she was pretty lethargic and had zero energy, but it only lasted a day or two.
Daviewolf83
Latest update on Covid-19 vaccinations in the US and NC:

US Overall:
Vaccine Doses Distributed: 22,137,350
Vaccine Doses Administered: 7,051,842
% of Available Doses Administered: 31.9%

North Carolina:
Vaccine Doses Distributed: 649,150
Vaccine Doses Administered: 184,982
% of Available Doses Administered: 28.5%

For the US, the number of doses administered increased by over 800,000 in one day. Some of this increase likely came from catching up on data lags, but it is also coming from improvements in distribution. The good news is they are inching closer to the 1M vaccines per day threshold.

For NC, I do expect to see improvements next week in the vaccinated numbers, since NC is going to be setting up some large vaccine centers around the state. NC is now in the Bottom 20 instead of the Bottom 10 for the percentage of available vaccines administered among the 50 states, so we are improving. If you look at Tennessee (a state of similar size, but smaller in population), they have administered 42.9% of their available vaccines. The leading state in the US is now West Virginia. They have administered 69.1% of their available vaccines.
caryking
I haven't kept up with this thread...

Why are we seeing reports that healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine? I am "NOT" a physician; so, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I do want to tell what I've been told, by a physician. Hopefully, somebody on here can help.

The vaccine changes one protein in your DNA. Nobody knows the long term results from this change; therefore, some healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine. A previous vaccine created other diseases that had long-term affects on people.

Please clarify the above...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Daviewolf83
pineknollshoresking said:

Why are we seeing reports that healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine? I am "NOT" a physician; so, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I do want to tell what I've been told, by a physician. Hopefully, somebody on here can help.

The vaccine changes one protein in your DNA. Nobody knows the long term results from this change; therefore, some healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine. A previous vaccine created other diseases that had long-term affects on people.

You need to ask the physician where he got this information, since it is not true and it is not how an mRNA vaccine works. An mRNA vaccine can not change your DNA. The mRNA does not enter the nucleus of the cell, so it does not have the ability to change the DNA.

Here's the mechanism a mRNA vaccine uses:

"mRNA, or messenger RNA, is genetic material that contains instructions for making proteins. mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 contain man-made mRNA. Inside the body, the mRNA enters human cells and instructs them to produce the "spike" protein found on the surface of the COVID-19 virus. Soon after a cell makes the spike protein, the cell breaks down the mRNA into harmless pieces. At no point does the mRNA enter the cell's nucleus, which is where our genetic material (DNA) lives."

"The immune system recognizes the spike protein as an invader and produces antibodies against it. If the antibodies later encounter the actual virus, they are ready to recognize and destroy it before it causes illness."

Preventing the Spread of Covid-19
PackPA2015

Davie is correct. That is a totally false claim. The vaccine only produces the immune response we are seeking which has nothing to do you with an individual's DNA.
caryking
PackPA2015 said:

Davie is correct. That is a totally false claim. The vaccine only produces the immune response we are seeking which has nothing to do you with an individual's DNA.
Guys, thanks for the info...

Joe Biden
caryking
Actually, after reading your post, isn't that exactly what I have been told. Again, I am not a physical and/or understand this completely.

So, I read an article... are these the first mRNA vaccines developed that have been approved to use?

Joe Biden
Mormad

Actually, after reading your post, isn't that exactly what I have been told. Again, I am not a physical and/or understand this completely.

So, I read an article... are these the first mRNA vaccines developed that have been approved to use?

Not really, you said you were told it changes a protein in our DNA. It can't do so because it never makes it to the nucleus of the cell where the DNA is maintained. It simply makes your body produce the spike protein, that without attachment to the virus, is harmless. But that spike protein is seen as foreign by your immune system, so you develop antibodies to it and that hopefully protects you from dz when you're exposed to the real thing.

Yes.
PackPA2015

No, it doesn't go anywhere near your DNA. All the mRNA is is like a computer code that tells the body to do something. It tells it to make the spoke protein that COVID uses to enter cells. When the protein is made, the body tells the immune system to destroy the protein and remember it for the future. The mRNA is broken down by the body into useless parts removed from circulation.
Mormad
https://www.healio.com/news/infectious-disease/20210108/pfizer-vaccine-appears-effective-against-emerging-sarscov2-variants
Mormad
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-allergy-idUSKBN29B2GS?taid=5ff601ab224979000124d28c&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Brief article about allergic reactions
caryking
All, thanks for the info. I am way outside my understanding and I appreciate the help. I probably don't understand what I'm reading, like some; however, nonetheless, it's helpful...

Joe Biden
Daviewolf83
Adding to what I posted earlier today, West Virginia has completed a first round of vaccinations at all LTC factilities in the state. They were added by the fact that pharmacies already had relationships with these facilities and it saved them time with paperwork.

For a rural state, they have done an outstanding job and should be an example to others. They did not make excuses, but found a way to get it done.

wilmwolf
Yeah, WV poses some unique challenges. If they can get it done, nobody else really has an excuse.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
AlleyPack
I have two extended family members who are teachers here in N.C.
I saw them this weekend, and they were asking/wondering what "phase" teachers can expect to be offered the vaccine.
Has any sort of concrete date been given?
ciscopack
Coronavirus updates: 1 in every 15 Americans has tested positive for COVID-19; virus claims member of famed Tuskegee Airmen

Today's numbers: The U.S. has more than 22 million confirmed coronavirus cases and 371,600 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University data. The global totals: More than 89.3 million cases and 1.92 million deaths.

US tops 4,000 daily deaths from coronavirus for first time

PackMom
https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/vaccines

Phase 1b: Adults 75 years or older and frontline essential workers.
There is not enough vaccine for everyone in this phase to be vaccinated at the same time. Vaccinations will be available to groups in the following order.
  • Group 1: Anyone 75 years or older, regardless of health status or living situation
  • Group 2: Health care workers with in-person patient contact and frontline essential workers 50 years or older
    The CDC defines frontline essential workers as first responders (e.g., firefighters and police officers), corrections officers, food and agricultural workers, U.S. Postal Service workers, manufacturing workers, grocery store workers, public transit workers, and those who work in the education sector (teachers and support staff members) as well as child care workers.
  • Group 3: Health care workers with in-person patient contact and frontline essential workers of any age

mdreid
AlleyPack said:

I have two extended family members who are teachers here in N.C.
I saw them this weekend, and they were asking/wondering what "phase" teachers can expect to be offered the vaccine.
Has any sort of concrete date been given?
im in phase 2 group 4 which is one of the last ones and i was told by my work this week march/april,

so i would expect teachers by the end of the month beginning of feb as an educated guess, suprised they havent been told buy their jobs
packgrad
My wife was advised that it would be "soon" for them. They recently had to fill out a form if they would take it.
Wayland
I still do numbers every day mostly for my own interest. And really only do a fraction even of what I used to, but since I had a minute to post.

Holding on to a small glimmer of hope... hospitalizations are down for the third straight day. This could be a reporting anomaly, but this has not happened since early October. It will be worth watching if we see even a little levelling or further decrease heading into next week. Any break from the current upward trend would be welcome.

NC - 1/10 *with* COVID Deaths Update. +142 - Counties are finally dealing with holiday backlogs.

DoD Reported
See Chart

1 missing assigned DoD (12 missing)

Setting:
49 Congregate, 66 Unknown, 27 General Population

Some counties had abnormally high reporting numbers today.

Counties with >5 reported deaths today (total)
Alamance +40 (164)
Alexander +7 (38)
Buncombe +12 (198)
Catawba +7 (194)
Iredell +6 (110)
Rutherford +22 (136)
Wake +11 (373)

PackMom
Thanks for the data and graphs. Heard today's report was way down. Just weekend, or do you think it's really headed the right direction?
Wayland
PackMom said:

Thanks for the data and graphs. Heard today's report was way down. Just weekend, or do you think it's really headed the right direction?
A solid, "I don't know". Today was down from yesterday but still up from 7 days ago. Unfortunately the full effects of holiday reporting and testing backlog probably isn't completely clear yet. I think it will still take another week or two to get a real sense of where we are today, due holiday disruptions.

That being said, hospitalizations are up a little today over yesterday, but that number is still lower than it was 6 days ago. It is probably the best indicator right now of what happened a few weeks ago, IMO, since the holidays created so much disruption in testing.

I don't think it would be unexpected to be peaking around now or be just post peak with regard to cases, but we won't know until we are well beyond it due to the lag from infection to testing and then subsequently testing to reporting.

But hospitalizations have had mini plateaus in the past and then continued to rise.

So now we wait another week to distance from the holidays and see where this all shakes out.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

PackMom said:

A solid, "I don't know". Today was down from yesterday but still up from 7 days ago. Unfortunately the full effects of holiday reporting and testing backlog probably isn't completely clear yet. I think it will still take another week or two to get a real sense of where we are today, due holiday disruptions.

That being said, hospitalizations are up a little today over yesterday, but that number is still lower than it was 6 days ago. It is probably the best indicator right now of what happened a few weeks ago, IMO, since the holidays created so much disruption in testing.

I don't think it would be unexpected to be peaking around now or be just post peak with regard to cases, but we won't know until we are well beyond it due to the lag from infection to testing and then subsequently testing to reporting.

But hospitalizations have had mini plateaus in the past and then continued to rise.

So now we wait another week to distance from the holidays and see where this all shakes out.
Hospitalizations have not peaked yet. I may have time to post some details tomorrow. Looking at the daily admits, the rate of daily hospitalizations is not increasing, but it is also not slowing yet. I am using daily admits,since the total number hospitalized number is too sticky from a data standpoint. Today's reporting on hospitalizations was not as high as you would expect today, since some hospital groups were not reporting the same percentage of hospitals as past day.

As far as ICU numbers are concerned, the good news is the percentage of Covid patients in ICU is the lowest it has been at 22%. The bad news is ICU utilization is at 83%, meaning only 17% of ICU beds are available.
Daviewolf83
Latest update on Covid-19 vaccinations in the US and NC. It is bad news if you live in NC:

US Overall:
Vaccine Doses Distributed: 25,480,725
Vaccine Doses Administered: 9,268,879
% of Available Doses Administered: 36.4%

North Carolina:
Vaccine Doses Distributed: 820,825
Vaccine Doses Administered: 211,572
% of Available Doses Administered: 25.2% (down by over 3% from the last report)

NC now ranks 47 out of 50 states for their use of available doses. At this point, In Wake County, they are not planning to begin vaccinating 75 and older people until next Tuesday. They are not starting on Monday, since it is a holiday.

The top 10 states for their ability to use their available vaccines are:

North Dakota (77.1%)
South Dakota (70.0%)
West Virginia (59.8%)
Connecticut (59.6%)
Montana (53.2%)
Colorado (52.3%)
Nebraska (51.9%)
Maine (51.3%)
Tennessee (51.0%)
New Hampshire (50.4%)

For states bordering NC, they are doing as follows:

Tennessee (51.0%)
Virginia (29.6%)
South Carolina (33.9%)
Georgia (23.9%)

If I lived in Virginia or Georgia, I would be equally unhappy. Hats off to Tennessee for getting shots into arms.
caryking
This is not a flame post; rather a post to get thoughts... first, correct me if I'm wrong...

Why do you think we had more deaths in 2019 than 2020?

Joe Biden
Wayland

This is not a flame post; rather a post to get thoughts... first, correct me if I'm wrong...

Why do you think we had more deaths in 2019 than 2020?

We didn't. It is just that NC DHHS is one of the worst state agencies at reporting deaths.

WRT to reporting deaths to the CDC, NC DHHS hasn't even gotten through their September data yet, while most states are well into December. It has been pathetic all year and no one has taken Cohen to task on this.
PackPA2015
Meant to post the other day, but I had fewer symptoms after shot #2 as compared to shot #1 which was nice to see.

There are not more deaths in 2019 vs. 2020. This article below was released on 12/15/2020 and deaths were already higher than 2019 obviously with days remaining in the year. The meme that has been shared on social media showing a chart with less deaths in 2020 is inaccurate.

https://usafacts.org/articles/preliminary-us-death-statistics-more-deaths-in-2020-than-2019-coronavirus-age-flu/
statefan91
Daviewolf83 said:

Latest update on Covid-19 vaccinations in the US and NC. It is bad news if you live in NC:

US Overall:

North Carolina:

NC now ranks 47 out of 50 states for their use of available doses. At this point, In Wake County, they are not planning to begin vaccinating 75 and older people until next Tuesday. They are not starting on Monday, since it is a holiday.

North Dakota (77.1%)
South Dakota (70.0%)
West Virginia (59.8%)
Connecticut (59.6%)
Montana (53.2%)
Colorado (52.3%)
Nebraska (51.9%)
Maine (51.3%)
Tennessee (51.0%)
New Hampshire (50.4%)

Tennessee (51.0%)
Virginia (29.6%)
South Carolina (33.9%)
Georgia (23.9%)

If I lived in Virginia or Georgia, I would be equally unhappy. Hats off to Tennessee for getting shots into arms.
Not starting until Tuesday because it's a holiday? They should literally be putting shots in arms 24/7. It is insane to me that now that we have vaccines, the State has only used 25% of what they have.

Bravo to the States that are well ahead of our numbers. They really need to scrap the groupings and just make it available to anyone that wants it.
ncsualum05
Our state sucks so bad at managing anything. This is ridiculous. You have rural states with people far and wide, less resources, less money, less government no doubt and yet better leadership and better results. I won't go political here but some of us are thinking it.
PackPA2015
ncsualum05 said:

Our state sucks so bad at managing anything. This is ridiculous. You have rural states with people far and wide, less resources, less money, less government no doubt and yet better leadership and better results. I won't go political here but some of us are thinking it.
I know we like to blame a lot of things on politicians. I am not so sure this one can be. I think there are more issues down the line from a governor point of view.

For example, 6/10 governors of the states in the top 10 are Republican. 4/10 are Democrats, if I counted correctly. I don't think you can glean much from minor difference.

I think we have a big issue with local health departments being either underfunded or understaffed or not reaching out to local providers/hospitals for help. At least this is what I have seen with our local health department. They have accomplished all of those above.
Civilized
PackPA2015 said:

ncsualum05 said:

I know we like to blame a lot of things on politicians. I am not so sure this one can be. I think there are more issues down the line from a governor point of view.

For example, 6/10 governors of the states in the top 10 are Republican. 4/10 are Democrats, if I counted correctly. I don't think you can glean much from minor difference.

I think we have a big issue with local health departments being either underfunded or understaffed or not reaching out to local providers/hospitals for help. At least this is what I have seen with our local health department. They have accomplished all of those above.
This is the rub on the state/local vs. federal distribution models.

States and local governments are boots on the ground, but are under-resourced.

Feds have the resources but not boots on the ground in states.

Effectual distribution was always going to take a blended solution and extensive planning and coordination and funding between federal agencies and state/local governments, health departments, and hospitals.

This isn't a state problem OR a feds problem. It's AND, not OR.
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

US Overall:

North Carolina:

North Dakota (77.1%)
South Dakota (70.0%)
West Virginia (59.8%)
Connecticut (59.6%)
Montana (53.2%)
Colorado (52.3%)
Nebraska (51.9%)
Maine (51.3%)
Tennessee (51.0%)
New Hampshire (50.4%)

Tennessee (51.0%)
Virginia (29.6%)
South Carolina (33.9%)
Georgia (23.9%)

Not starting until Tuesday because it's a holiday? They should literally be putting shots in arms 24/7. It is insane to me that now that we have vaccines, the State has only used 25% of what they have.

Bravo to the States that are well ahead of our numbers. They really need to scrap the groupings and just make it available to anyone that wants it.
Or do a better job of targeting and engaging those who are in the approved groups?
I thought I'd just read where they were going to lower the age from 75 to 65? But maybe that was a different state...just somethin that popped up on Twitter.

One story I can share. My parents (both of whom are 79) and their next-door neighbors (both 80'ish) all four were able to go to the Union County distribution site yesterday at the Monroe Health Department -- said they were in and out in around 15 minutes. Made appointments. Had ~15 tables set up, socially distanced, with shots being administered at each.
Daviewolf83
Some Covid-19 vaccination news:

1. The Trump administration has decided to release more vaccines, rather than reserving some for second doses as they have been doing. This will greatly increase the supply in all states. They are also urging states to open up the vaccinations to older adults and high-risk patients (regardless of age).

2. Nearly half of all states have already updated their priority groups to move adults 65+ to the front of the line. Georgia did this and in southwest Georgia, one health system saw an immediate jump in demand with all appointments booked for the next few days.

3. New York City has set up a vaccination site at Citi Field where the Mets play. It will be running 24/7 as long as they have vaccine supply.

4. It is possible that Johnson & Johnson will release the efficacy data from the Phase 3 trial for their Covid-19 vaccine next week, possibly as early as Monday. They ended up enrolling 45,000 people in the Phase 3 trial and it appears they are close to concluding the trial. If efficacy is good, they will likely submit their request for an EUA in a couple of weeks. As a reminder, this is a vaccine that only requires one shot.

5. Israel continues to lead the world in Covid-19 vaccinations. They have now vaccinated ~21% of their population, having vaccinated 1.8 million people. Approximately 72% of people 65+ have been vaccinated and approximately 80% of people aged 70+.

PackPA2015
Civilized said:

PackPA2015 said:

ncsualum05 said:

This is the rub on the state/local vs. federal distribution models.

States and local governments are boots on the ground, but are under-resourced.

Feds have the resources but not boots on the ground in states.

Effectual distribution was always going to take a blended solution and extensive planning and coordination and funding between federal agencies and state/local governments, health departments, and hospitals.

This isn't a state problem OR a feds problem. It's AND, not OR.

All fair, good points.
First Page Last Page
Page 211 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.