Coronavirus

2,020,049 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Werewolf
FlossyDFlynt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mormad said:

This is our busiest time because those with private insurance wanna get fixed before their out-of-pocket costs reset Jan 1, and it's built in time off to recover. That said, we're fairly slow right now because of covid. My hospital doesn't want to limit elective surgery because that's how they make money, but we're starting to bulge at the seams and staffing will soon become the insurmountable issue. Nobody's told me i can't schedule a case yet, but i suspect it's coming.
It wasnt explicitly stated that they werent cutting electives due to money, but it was certainly implied. We have had certain things put on hold until the new year, but no changes as far as day to day workflow, as far as I know (I also havent stepped foot on site in about three years, so I dont know what day to day looks like, anyway).

Thanks for the info though, its good insight.
Daviewolf83
TheStorm said:

I was trying to be sarcastic about the Assisted Living Facilities...
I agree with you on the Assisted Living Facilities and I think PackMom has a point about the CNA's that work in multiple facilities. I will be so happy when they get all of the people who work in these facilities vaccinated, along with the residents of these facilities.
PackPA2015
In our system, inpatient cases have risen from 120-160 within the last 4 days with amount of tests declining during that same period. They are testing approximately 2000 patients per day.

Our Chief Medical Officer received his vaccine as the first employee in our system to do so today. Rollout is over the next couple of weeks for all system employees.
statefan91
Daviewolf83 said:

AlleyPack said:

Mormad said:

That is correct. The only thing they can say right now is that the vaccine doesn't necessarily stop you from getting infected, but seems to greatly reduce your odds of getting sick. Therefore, they can't say that it will stop the spread.

My (serious) question is... once people start getting the vaccine, will they STOP wearing masks (b/c they think they can't get the virus) -- yet they still might become carriers, and thus the spread could actually increase? (to those who haven't been able to get the vaccine yet)

It will all be interesting to see.
According to Dr. Fauci, even with the vaccine, we should plan to continue wearing masks into next Winter. Quite frankly, he is crazy if he thinks people, once vaccinated, are going to continue to wear a mask.

Mask use and social distancing will likely have to continue until next winter

Are masks that much of a hindrance for people in general? I get that gyms and places like that could be a challenge but I don't have an issue with it going to stores.
packgrad
statefan91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

AlleyPack said:

Mormad said:

That is correct. The only thing they can say right now is that the vaccine doesn't necessarily stop you from getting infected, but seems to greatly reduce your odds of getting sick. Therefore, they can't say that it will stop the spread.

My (serious) question is... once people start getting the vaccine, will they STOP wearing masks (b/c they think they can't get the virus) -- yet they still might become carriers, and thus the spread could actually increase? (to those who haven't been able to get the vaccine yet)

According to Dr. Fauci, even with the vaccine, we should plan to continue wearing masks into next Winter. Quite frankly, he is crazy if he thinks people, once vaccinated, are going to continue to wear a mask.

Are masks that much of a hindrance for people in general? I get that gyms and places like that could be a challenge but I don't have an issue with it going to stores.

I don't think the hinderance is the issue. I think it's the token government requirements that have snowballed into destroying peoples businesses and lives.
statefan91
Got it - yeah I was just asking in regards to wearing one after getting a vaccine. I work from home anyways and don't mind wearing one when I'm out, but I know a lot of others are wearing one all day long and it's more burdensome.

I haven't been back to the gym yet but that would probably be where I'd have to decide on whether to wear one or not post-vaccine.
Daviewolf83
statefan91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

AlleyPack said:

Mormad said:

It is most definitely a messaging issue. For months, people have been told that they need to wear a mask until there is a vaccine. Now they are going to be told to wear a mask, even though there is a vaccine. It is one of credibility. The government's credibility on mask wearing already suffers, in part, due to messaging early on that said masks are not needed. If the message continues to change, it only serves to further decrease the acceptance of the message. It will only get more difficult to get people to wear masks and yes, I do believe fewer people will wear masks in public if they are told to wear one, even after they have been vaccinated.

Add to this the requirements to continue social distancing. When I hear this, I think it means:

- Continuation of limited occupancy in restaurants - we know large numbers have already gone out of business due to these restrictions and many more will likely go out of business if they continue for another year.
- Continued social distancing in schools and an excuse for many to try to keep schools closed to in-person learning.
- Restrictions on entertainment venues such as movie theaters, concerts, and plays.
- Continuation of limited occupancy at sporting events. I am not sure how many sports can continue next year (I am thinking mostly of the college sports) if the same restrictions on social distancing remain in effect next Fall and early Winter.
WarrenPeace
Kids having to wear them while playing sports is dumb as hell. My 5 year old has to wear one every time he goes on a soccer field or basketball court. So effing stupid! He's already tested positive and gotten over it. He literally threw up once and was back out playing right after.
packgrad
Players on my local high school baseball team had been getting together on the school field to do batting practice. Player organized. School principal and AD have threatened head coach's job if players continue. Coach had nothing to do with it. Players were just excited as they think their spring season will be on.

Because Covid.
ncsupack1
Daviewolf83 said:

statefan91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

AlleyPack said:

Mormad said:

It is most definitely a messaging issue. For months, people have been told that they need to wear a mask until there is a vaccine. Now they are going to be told to wear a mask, even though there is a vaccine. It is one of credibility. The government's credibility on mask wearing already suffers, in part, due to messaging early on that said masks are not needed. If the message continues to change, it only serves to further decrease the acceptance of the message. It will only get more difficult to get people to wear masks and yes, I do believe fewer people will wear masks in public if they are told to wear one, even after they have been vaccinated.

Add to this the requirements to continue social distancing. When I hear this, I think it means:

- Continuation of limited occupancy in restaurants - we know large numbers have already gone out of business due to these restrictions and many more will likely go out of business if they continue for another year.
- Continued social distancing in schools and an excuse for many to try to keep schools closed to in-person learning.
- Restrictions on entertainment venues such as movie theaters, concerts, and plays.
- Continuation of limited occupancy at sporting events. I am not sure how many sports can continue next year (I am thinking mostly of the college sports) if the same restrictions on social distancing remain in effect next Fall and early Winter.
I've tried to stay out of this topic, but agree. The constant movement of the goal post has people moving on. We were told to hold on until the vaccine, well it's here....I know early stages, but now the goal post are moving again...imo...people have moved on from the virus.
Daviewolf83
ncsupack1 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

statefan91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

AlleyPack said:

Mormad said:

I've tried to stay out of this topic, but agree. The constant movement of the goal post has people moving on. We were told to hold on until the vaccine, well it's here....I know early stages, but now the goal post are moving again...imo...people have moved on from the virus.
I wear a mask everywhere I am required. I wore one for over 5 hours at a football game on Saturday, only removing it while drinking water during the game. I will do the same thing at my son's football game this week. I wore one to pick up takeout food at a couple of restaurants while traveling. I did not wear one while I was sitting outside at a restaurant on Sunday night, at a table that was 6 feet or more from the other outside tables. In fact, I do not wear one whenever I eat outdoors at a restaurant. If I am eating indoors (very rare occurrence), I will wear a mask until my food arrives and put it back on when I am ready to pay and leave the restaurant. I do not wear one when I am outside, hiking on trails.
RunsWithWolves26
Well sadly, my grandma tested positive this morning. So crazy because me and my dad were just discussing that we hoped she wouldn't get it before the vaccine as she is in a nursing home. They are sending her to Raleigh to be treated. So far, she isn't showing symptoms but who knows. Not a fun time at all.
Everpack
ncsupack1 said:

I think another part of this is that most people know multiple people that have had the virus at this point and have seen the results. I can only assume that the majority of people are like me and the statistics have held true with people they know. It's a mild to bad cold for most with the loss of taste and smell, maybe a case or two of relatively healthy people spending a few nights hospitalized and some elderly folks that have died, especially in nursing homes. Meanwhile, people they know have lost their jobs, their businesses, are dealing with mental health issues and struggle to understand why we're continuing to do this to our society.
TheStorm
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Well sadly, my grandma tested positive this morning. So crazy because me and my dad were just discussing that we hoped she wouldn't get it before the vaccine as she is in a nursing home. They are sending her to Raleigh to be treated. So far, she isn't showing symptoms but who knows. Not a fun time at all.
Wishing you, your family and especially your Grandmother the best of luck... how are the rest of the residents at that facility?
acslater1344
Daviewolf83 said:

statefan91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

AlleyPack said:

Mormad said:

Let's be honest, once folks are vaccinated, the Dr. Fauci's of the world will be tuned out.

As soon as the vaccine leads to lower hospitalizations and deaths, I expect things will begin to open up relatively quickly. Pre-vaccine, the majority of public sentiment was in favor of taking the safe route, closing down or limiting schools/businesses. I think that public sentiment will flip VERY quickly once the most vulnerable are vaccinated, and the politicians on the left will follow that sentiment because well... they're politicians.

I'm sure there will be a small percentage of loons who continue to demand we wear masks, keep businesses and schools shut down, etc. but they will have very little public support despite being extremely loud about it on Twitter.
PackMom
RunsWithWolves26 said:

So sorry to hear that. I hope she recovers well. Best wishes to your family.
wilmwolf
The question was posed are masks a hindrance? Yes, they are. Is it a hinderance you put up with in the face of the possibility of giving or getting covid? Yes. I can't speak for everyone, but I ****ing hate wearing a mask, and I do it a good portion of the day (mask, gloves, shoe covers). Struggling to get enough oxygen while exerting myself, fogging my glasses, itching my ears, rubbing the skin off my nose. It sucks. I do it, and will continue as long as is required to run my business, but if tomorrow was the last day I had to wear a mask for the rest of my life, I would be thrilled. I know that it's a small sacrifice compared to those medical professionals on the frontline, but I'm also not a medical professional, so I look forward to not having to dress like one.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Glasswolf
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Praying for her. I have 2 cousins in the hospital with covid and pneumonia. Thought my wife had it so she got tested Sunday. Turns out she negative for Covid but positive for flu
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother and hope she is able to make a fast recovery with minimal symptoms. I am praying for her and for your family.
RunsWithWolves26
TheStorm said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Wishing you, your family and especially your Grandmother the best of luck... how are the rest of the residents at that facility?

They've had a few test positive but been pretty lucky for the most part. Apparently, they have taken my grandma to a plave in raleigh that they send many nursing home covid patients to. She still isn't experiencing symptoms but my dad and uncle have given consent for then to start her remdesivir
RunsWithWolves26
PackMom said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

So sorry to hear that. I hope she recovers well. Best wishes to your family.

Thanks so much.
RunsWithWolves26
Glasswolf said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Praying for her. I have 2 cousins in the hospital with covid and pneumonia. Thought my wife had it so she got tested Sunday. Turns out she negative for Covid but positive for flu

Same to you brother
RunsWithWolves26
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother and hope she is able to make a fast recovery with minimal symptoms. I am praying for her and for your family.

Thanks so much. She is a strong willed 83 years young!
Daviewolf83
Some potentially good news on the Pfizer vaccine. It appears there may be enough vaccine in the vials to vaccinate 40% more people.

Civilized
Daviewolf83 said:

Some potentially good news on the Pfizer vaccine. It appears there may be enough vaccine in the vials to vaccinate 40% more people.

Wait what?

Pfizer was selling gallons of milk but actually putting a gallon and a half in the container?
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Wait what?

Pfizer was selling gallons of milk but actually putting a gallon and a half in the container?

Baker's dozen?
caryking
Steve Williams said:

Just playing devil's advocate here- wasn't the narrative we've heard for the last 10 months that we had to have a vaccine to stop the spread? Now we have one, and it sounds like the main thing it does is help protect you from getting a bad case of Covid and really does nothing to prevent spread. Am I missing something?
Steve, I think what you are witnessing is the slow grab by the government to control things. We have a pandemic and it's not going to go anywhere anytime soon. Hell, we can't even agree on how this pandemic started (natural or man-made).

I say, fight against government control and put the decision making back in the hands of people. People need to make decision that are best for them:

• Do I really want to wear a mask?
  • Do I really want to keep a six foot distance from others?
  • Do I want to go out in public, because people (first two bullet points) are negligent towards others?
  • etc...

Everyone should make decisions based on the information (fact or not) provided to them. Everyone knows their health conditions (if they don't, why is that anybody else's problem?) and should make decisions that way.

I have a relative that told me: I am not doing anything outside my house, with others, because if he gets the COVID, he knows he dead. His decision...

On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
statefan91
Daviewolf83 said:

My layman's understanding is that vial's are overfilled to some level to ensure there is enough for a full dose. I'm guessing they've determined that they have enough in the vials to consolidate as long as they're from the same batch?
WPNfamily
Mormad said:

We're cutting elective surgeries 50%.

199 in house, 19 in ED, 30 in the unit, 14 tubed

Avg length of stay 1 wk for non-icu, those tubed avg 3wks smoking the ET tube.

170390 tests performed, 13336 positive

Highest # of admissions in one day 42

Age 0-17, 1957 pos out of 21k tests, 37 hospital encounters, no deaths

Age 18-24, 1698 of 19k, 78 hosp, 1 death

Age 25-49,4707 of 56k, 545 hosp, 9 deaths

Age 50-64 2857 of 41k, 739 hospital, 42 deaths

Age >65, 2505 of 46k tested, 1449 hosp encounters, 241 deaths

Docs are definitely wanting the vaccine based on activity/ conversations in the lounges. Even those that had covid are hoping for second round vacs.
Thank you for sharing this. Both of my parents are in the 65+ category and tested positive. Dad has more symptoms but seems good and mom is just a drama at all times. Mom was freaking out about how the news says because they are over 65 are likely to die, not more likely, just likely (insert eye roll). Being able to share real facts with her was just what she needed. My sister who is their care taker is so thankful that you posted this because mom is off the ledge now. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

My layman's understanding is that vial's are overfilled to some level to ensure there is enough for a full dose. I'm guessing they've determined that they have enough in the vials to consolidate as long as they're from the same batch?
A normal overfill would be 5-10%, maybe a little more, but certainly not 40%.

if the 40% number is accurate, someone in manufacturing is getting fired.
Daviewolf83
IseWolf22 said:

statefan91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

A normal overfill would be 5-10%, maybe a little more, but certainly not 40%.

if the 40% number is accurate, someone in manufacturing is getting fired.
I agree. It does imply a very wide process variation in the vial filling process. I assume Pfizer wants to insure there is no less than 5 doses in a 100% of the vials and if there is some process variation, you will naturally end up with some vials having more than 5 doses. I am sure there is some process variation that exists with regards to the automated equipment used to fill the vials, but I have no idea how accurate the automate equipment is in measuring out doses. It would be interesting to know the mean and the standard deviation for the vial filling process, but I find it hard to believe that it varies so much that it provides one or two extra doses.
Daviewolf83
Here is some more information on the Pfizer vials containing extra vaccine. This is from an NBC news story.

"It is common for vaccine vials to be filled beyond their labeled allotment, experts said."

"Dr. David Kessler, a former FDA commissioner, said Wednesday on 'The Rachel Maddow Show' that it is not a sign of error in the manufacture and preparation of the vaccines. 'It's not mismeasured,' he said. 'It's not sloppiness. It's the way those vials are designed,' he added."

Read the full article here: Pfizer vaccine vials hold some extra doses
statefan91
Reminder that Moderna is also being reviewed and could get EUA this week. Would be huge to have two vaccines actively being distributed

RunsWithWolves26
Update on my grandma for anyone interested. They figure she was positive on Monday morning and tested positive on her weekly test Tuesday. They moved her to Raleigh to a facility doing trials for most nursing home patients. Today is technically day 4 she has been positive. As of 2 this afternoon, she is showing no signs or symptoms of covid. I'm knocking on every piece of wood I can find hoping it stays that way for her.
PackMom
Glad to hear she's doing well and pray it continues! Are they continuing to test her?
First Page Last Page
Page 197 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.