Coronavirus

1,981,004 Views | 19755 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by Werewolf
statefan91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also - trajectory of cases is level, but high. No mention of the fact that we are testing much much more than we had been.
Daviewolf83
statefan91 said:

Also - trajectory of cases is level, but high. No mention of the fact that we are testing much much more than we had been.
Trajectory of cases is down, even with the data delays. Percent positives are also decreasing.
ncsualum05
Wayland said:

OK. So they are claiming cases are low because of a reporting anomaly. Going to add new tests back in.

OK Mandy.

Straight up misrepresenting data again in the briefing. By zooming the graph in to the last few days and stopping on Sunday.

One of the reasons provided for why we are not going forward is because not enough people are seeking tests.
You seriously need to go public with your data if you don't already. Most people do not understand what's being fed to them.
Wayland
It is there and available. Media doesn't care.
statefan91
This is really Groundhog Day at this point. I don't see any point when they will let us open up more before there's a vaccine.
Wayland
Mandy just said our cases our going in a 'stable direction'.

Lie.

ncsualum05
Wayland said:

It is there and available. Media doesn't care.
Send it to Alex Berenson. Traditional media definitely doesn't care which is a damn shame.
Wayland
DHHS lied in their briefing today. They edited past reported case data to make the trend line decline not seem as obvious. They removed a peak on 7/11 that would show cases declining faster.

82TxPackFan
Governor & DHHS continue to manipulate data and blatantly lie to the public. The legislature needs to start holding him accountable as there is plenty of evidence to show he has repeatedly falsified data regarding the status of the pandemic.
SupplyChainPack
Good call out. Why would they do that?
Wayland
82TxPackFan said:

Governor & DHHS continue to manipulate data and blatantly lie to the public. The legislature needs to start holding him accountable as there is plenty of evidence to show he has repeatedly falsified data regarding the status of the pandemic.
I am usually pretty angry when they 'misrepresent' data. But this time they straight up lied. Removing the recent 4 days because those are 3 of the 4 lowest days in the last 4 weeks.... ok sneaky. You got us.

But to go back and just DELETE a case peak to make the trend line fit the narrative better in a briefing is beyond acceptable. I am so incensed ... and so frustrated because there is nothing I can do but sit and watch bold faced lies that determine policy unilaterally.
wilmwolf
I guess when you can't move the goalposts, you just paint over the yardage markers.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
ShaggyWolf
Why are we moving kids into dorm rooms when gyms can't open up?
WarrenPeace
Moving kids into dorms while my kid hasn't even been able to play rec sports, see his friends at school, or go to Sunday school in 5 months.
packgrad
WarrenPeace said:

Moving kids into dorms while my kid hasn't even been able to play rec sports, see his friends at school, or go to Sunday school in 5 months.

Hope it encourages people to vote this idiot out of office.
DrummerboyWolf
This is ridiculous. Thanks to Davie and Wayland and others who have really looked at the data and can flat out see the BS that Cooper and Cohen are selling.

I haven't been to the gym since middle of March. Not that I went as much as I needed too, but I still should have that choice. Planet Fitness and all other gyms need to open. Screw the dictator Cooper and his crowd. If all the bars and gyms and everything else open up, they cannot stop everybody. This is a nightmare and the election should be clear right now. Vote ROY out!
Being an N. C. State Fan Builds Great Character
Wayland
I am tired.

Be it incompetence or deception with the data, Cooper and Cohen are being trusted with unchecked power to shape the lives of NC citizens.

Though they tout transparency, they have proven to be untrustworthy stewards of the data that they are using to make policy.

It shouldn't be up to keyboard warriors like myself to call them out on these failings. Even still our cries of foul fall on deaf ears. The media doesn't care about reporting truth as long as they get their clicks.

We should be holding them to the highest standards and they should be working to exceed them.

Rule 1 in a pandemic. Don't lie to the people.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

I am tired.

Be it incompetence or deception with the data, Cooper and Cohen are being trusted with unchecked power to shape the lives of NC citizens.

Though they tout transparency, they have proven to be untrustworthy stewards of the data that they are using to make policy.

It shouldn't be up to keyboard warriors like myself to call them out on these failings. Even still our cries of foul fall on deaf ears. The media doesn't care about reporting truth as long as they get their clicks.

We should be holding them to the highest standards and they should be working to exceed them.

Many in the media in this state are just parrots. They are not journalists. They accept what the Governor and Dr. Cohen tell them and do not question when things do not look accurate. Just like yesterday when NCDHHS made a large, unexplained change in a key metric. Did you see anyone from the media point this out and question it? No.

A good journalist would examine what they are being told by the Governor and Dr. Cohen and question the numbers. Supposedly the pandemic is an important issue for this state and the nation, but not important enough to demand accountability from our elected officials. Instead of the media doing their job, they are leaving the work up to people like Wayland and I, who do this in our spare time.

Why do I do this? I do it because I believe numbers mean something. I studied engineering in college because I believe numbers and data matter. I work in an industry now where we base decisions on the numbers and the data. If the data does not support a decision, we do not make the change. We follow the data. When you are in a pandemic, where decisions impact people's lives and businesses, you must base the decisions on the most accurate data possible. You do not make decisions based on feelings and politics.
Steve Williams
Staff
DrummerboyWolf said:

This is ridiculous. Thanks to Davie and Wayland and others who have really looked at the data and can flat out see the BS that Cooper and Cohen are selling.

I haven't been to the gym since middle of March. Not that I went as much as I needed too, but I still should have that choice. Planet Fitness and all other gyms need to open. Screw the dictator Cooper and his crowd. If all the bars and gyms and everything else open up, they cannot stop everybody. This is a nightmare and the election should be clear right now. Vote ROY out!
Not gonna happen. He is killing Forest in the polls right now. Hell, Dave Doeren has more followers on Twitter than Dan Forest. Cooper isn't stupid. If this state stays locked down there's no way he can lose.
PossumJenkins
Davie and Wayland...I'll reiterate what others have said, thanks for all the effort and info. How does someone here not have a relationship with a media member to simply get these numbers in front of and let them decide for themselves. Davie I've seen you tweet Brett Jensen a few times with your data and he at least seems to be questioning of Cooper, but continues to say they won't call on him during the briefings. Just feel like someone within our ranks has to have a media connection...it could make for a pretty significant story.
SupplyChainPack
Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

I am tired.

Many in the media in this state are just parrots. They are not journalists. They accept what the Governor and Dr. Cohen tell them and do not question when things do not look accurate. Just like yesterday when NCDHHS made a large, unexplained change in a key metric. Did you see anyone from the media point this out and question it? No.

A good journalist would examine what they are being told by the Governor and Dr. Cohen and question the numbers. Supposedly the pandemic is an important issue for this state and the nation, but not important enough to demand accountability from our elected officials. Instead of the media doing their job, they are leaving the work up to people like Wayland and I, who do this in our spare time.

Why do I do this? I do it because I believe numbers mean something. I studied engineering in college because I believe numbers and data matter. I work in an industry now where we base decisions on the numbers and the data. If the data does not support a decision, we do not make the change. We follow the data. When you are in a pandemic, where decisions impact people's lives and businesses, you must base the decisions on the most accurate data possible. You do not make decisions based on feelings and politics.

Great post!

Just simply want to tack on that "journalism" in this state is awful. Just horrendous.

What we call journalists in this state are lower than snakes. There is no profession I hold with lower esteem. Their job is to lie, misdirect, and spin. I doubt that there is a single living honest and objective journalist in this state.
Steve Williams
Staff
Would be kinda interesting to see a chart of deaths and cases in relation to Cooper's PCs.
Packchem91
PossumJenkins said:

Davie and Wayland...I'll reiterate what others have said, thanks for all the effort and info. How does someone here not have a relationship with a media member to simply get these numbers in front of and let them decide for themselves. Davie I've seen you tweet Brett Jensen a few times with your data and he at least seems to be questioning of Cooper, but continues to say they won't call on him during the briefings. Just feel like someone within our ranks has to have a media connection...it could make for a pretty significant story.
Agreed.
Or why doesn't Forest do it? Just run an ad accusing the Gov of making up data to keep businesses closed. Show the changes to the charts. Or is it a case if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it....
Wayland
So I am not great at graphs, but I wanted to show a visual of how reporting lag was getting better. So I threw together this. It shows on any given day what percentage of Reported Cases fall on Specimen Dates within the current Day -9 and Current Day -5.

You can clear see how in the last 3 weeks they have gotten much better at reporting data within that -5 day window. How old are the cases that DHHS is reporting today?

I was also trying to detect what the reporting anomaly might be that was so egregious that they couldn't report the last 4 days of cases in the briefing. But if just 3 weeks ago we were will to accept over 1000 cases in a daily report from 6-8 days prior, why the big concern over a few hundred cases within the 5 day window? Why was case lag no big deal in the past and now since it doesn't fit the narrative, DHHS needs to make a vague statement about a lab not reporting quickly?

3 weeks ago none of them were and we were okay with that data?

So you can see as the lag window closes the Cases by Date Reported starting to pull away a little, as the reporting gets more efficient that needs to snap back.

So I took that same Date of Specimen Collection and shifted it 5 days to account for the lag in reporting.

There should be a little snap back if the running average on these two get too far away for whatever reason.
TheStorm
Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

I am tired.

But didn't Mandy just say it's all about the "science".

I happened across the press conference by total accident yesterday and I can't say that I've ever seen a more contrived, scripted production in all my life... the virtue signalling with the masks might be the most hilarious part of it all even... do they have a mask guy (or gal) standing there next to the camera frantically waving their arms to remind them "mask off"... "mask on"... looked like a lot of struggling with that - but they made sure to overplay it even when it wasn't necessary in that setting...
TheStorm
Steve Williams said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Not gonna happen. He is killing Forest in the polls right now. Hell, Dave Doeren has more followers on Twitter than Dan Forest. Cooper isn't stupid. If this state stays locked down there's no way he can lose.
Forest never had a chance from the very start... Cooper might as well be unopposed for that matter. Pandemic or no pandemic... that's why Cooper was never at risk for any decision that he made... what's going on in North Carolina is for National Election reasons... continued disruption of daily life and regular business activities... create and continually propgate an "us against them" scenario with the DNC directed mask strategy (when in reality Republicans have been wearing them too)... next up, too dangerous to vote in person... some of us called it a long time ago.

Also, isn't it kind of hypocritical to say that you think it's best to keep things shut down in our own state (and virtue signal people about masks) but then go about your own personal life as if nothing has changed? People going out of state on vacations, Charleston, etc. (and going to work out at gyms), family trips out to the old West (Yellowstone or wherever it was just a couple weeks back), Blowing Rock / Boone... not trying to single out the individuals, but it's interesting to see consistent viewpoints posted on these threads over and over and over but then when it comes down to your own actions it's like "well that doesn't apply to me because..."
TheStorm
Steve Williams said:

Would be kinda interesting to see a chart of deaths and cases in relation to Cooper's PCs.
No charts (Wayland and Davie might have some though), but I posted some numbers where they ramped up whatever the "flavor of the day" was 2-3 days before the mask mandate speech and the public school speech... don't worry, it looks exactly like you are thinking it does. The bumps immediately go right back away right after the speech.
Wayland
TheStorm said:

Steve Williams said:

No charts (Wayland and Davie might have some though), but I posted some numbers where they ramped up whatever the "flavor of the day" was 2-3 days before the mask mandate speech and the public school speech... don't worry, it looks exactly like you are thinking it does. The bumps immediately go right back away right after the speech.
And this time the reporting lag actually caught up so they didn't have any more cases to harvest, so they came up with the lame 'well some labs didn't report' excuse and deleted a peak from the graph.

Always something with their transparency.
packgrad
How is it not criminal for him to manipulate the data like he has to make policy?
bigeric
Wonder if Dan Kane would be interested. Should be right up his alley.
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
Wayland
What they need is an on-site independent auditor or inspector to provide proper transparency is being provided and any edits are being properly documented and justified.
wilmwolf
One of the problems that exists when finding someone to go after the Governor with regards to the data is that an environment has been created in this country where if you disagree with any little thing being done, you are labeled as a nutjob that doesn't care if people die. It's happened in this thread even, over and over. There are of course those people, even here, who are actually nutjobs, but there is currently no room to be critical of anything without being lumped in with that group. That is in large part due to the politicizing of the virus early on, and the resistance of people to changing their opinions when new information comes out due to that politicization. I personally don't give a damn what political affiliation the governor has, I don't agree with what he has done and how he has manipulated the data. The media at large has taken this stance that anyone that disagrees with the measures must be an ignorant hick Trumper, and therefore they themselves can't now contest anything the governor says without being labeled the same. It's the danger that exists when every issue is reduced to yes/no, black/white, pub/dem, when the solutions to most issues lie in the middle. The virus response should be purely scientific, not political, and the response should be flexible to change as the data changes, but that isn't happening. If you have to manipulate the data to fit the response, then the response is wrong, plain and simple.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
ncsualum05
Steve Williams said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

It's clear what Cooper's political calculation is but don't count out Forest just yet. And DO NOT believe any of the trash polls this year that are out. I've never seen polls so bad as this year. This race is going to be a 1-2 pt race at the end of the day. If enough people find out about Cooper's overreach of power plus their lying on the data then he'll be gone. But I don't know if enough people will figure it out... lot of fear right now.
cowboypack02
Packchem91 said:

PossumJenkins said:

Agreed.
Or why doesn't Forest do it? Just run an ad accusing the Gov of making up data to keep businesses closed. Show the changes to the charts. Or is it a case if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it....
Truthfully?

Because the democrats will scream that Forest is lying and wants people to die...and the media will go right ahead and push the same narrative instead of being honest about the numbers.

Packchem91
cowboypack02 said:

Packchem91 said:

PossumJenkins said:

Agreed.
Truthfully?

Because the democrats will scream that Forest is lying and wants people to die...and the media will go right ahead and push the same narrative instead of being honest about the numbers.

That certainly could, and likely would happen. But don't go out quietly. Don't make this about masks. Put charts up that show what Wayland is talking about. You only need one or two influential reporters to jump on board.

It was funny -- I say Joe Bruno responding to a question last night about why he wears a mask on newscast when he is clearly by himself, with no one within reaching distance. He answered he wants to set a good example....which is a fair enough example (Trump should have taken this approach).

But I wanted to respond to him...if you want to set a good example, dig into the data and why there seems a disconnect between what you are sensing in the data, and what the NC Governor is telling you. THAT would be setting a good example to seek the best possible information for your customers.
First Page Last Page
Page 137 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.