Coronavirus

2,001,729 Views | 19844 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Werewolf
Wayland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mormad said:

2 vents available for every hospitalized covid pt isn't enough for my comfort. That is enough vents if we could assume there would be no other patients who needed to be ventilated for any other condition. But, our "regular" or "typical" patients' need for ventilators remains. Certainly can't open up hospitals for elective business given that number.

When the vent rate is what 10% of hospitalized? So make it 20 vents for every patient who is critical enough to need it. (And that doesn't include all the vents that are being used by non covid patients) And we aren't even sure vents are the best protocol... Or you are more likely to die than not if you need one.
Mormad
Nobody knows what it'll look like, but acting like Fauci is crazy for mentioning it is the way we get caught with our pants down again.
Wayland
Mormad said:

Nobody knows what it'll look like, but acting like Fauci is crazy for mentioning it is the way we get caught with our pants down again.

Not actually studying the virus and testing is how we get caught with our pants down. I am fine with Fauci saying his peace, but let's not pretend this is being handled well by government. They have lucked into things not being worse as much as anything.
packgrad
Mormad said:

Fauci isn't in the minority when he says he thinks there will be a second wave in November. Everything I receive from different medical sources every day predicts the same thing.

Agreed. He isn't. He also is just a bastion of fear. We need people that have solutions other than social distancing. He's done his duty. Let's get a fresh perspective in there.
Wayland
Everyone making the decisions is only thinking about elections and their political careers and what could go wrong to make them look bad.... Not what is actually the best reasoned course of action.
packgrad
Supposedly, we're getting some economic advisors in this week to discuss getting things opened back up. Hopefully they are given a strong listen to. Whatever you think of Trump, if anybody will make a decision that goes against the grain, it is him. Hopefully he starts pumping the brakes on the Faucis and hitting the gas on the economic advisors. Time will tell.
lumberpack5
packgrad said:

Mormad said:

Fauci isn't in the minority when he says he thinks there will be a second wave in November. Everything I receive from different medical sources every day predicts the same thing.

Agreed. He isn't. He also is just a bastion of fear. We need people that have solutions other than social distancing. He's done his duty. Let's get a fresh perspective in there.
If you think he is a bastion of fear, what do you think the greater medical community with connections to Duke, UNC, and WF are being told?

What is your prescription to save the health care workers from the virus? Social distancing is primarily to preserve them, not grandma. How many of those doctors, nurses, orderlies, and techs do you think this country can replace is you kill a bunch of them? What does the healthcare picture look like going forward if you take 5-10% of them off the table?

It's obvious that at one point the administration wanted to let if burn out but we don't have legal, ethical, and governmental policies that allow that. The last time that situation cropped up in the US was in New Orleans after Katrina where a doctor had to chose between overdosing those who could not be moved from the stricken hospital and would otherwise die a slow miserable death without electricity over the ensuing 2-3 days.

It's not much different from folks who want unbridled capitalism until they need a bail out.

Draconian decisions had to be made in early February but that's not how America works.
I like the athletic type
packgrad
lumberpack5 said:

packgrad said:

Mormad said:

If you think he is a bastion of fear, what do you think the greater medical community with connections to Duke, UNC, and WF are being told?

What is your prescription to save the health care workers from the virus? Social distancing is primarily to preserve them, not grandma. How many of those doctors, nurses, orderlies, and techs do you think this country can replace is you kill a bunch of them? What does the healthcare picture look like going forward if you take 5-10% of them off the table?

It's obvious that at one point the administration wanted to let if burn out but we don't have legal, ethical, and governmental policies that allow that. The last time that situation cropped up in the US was in New Orleans after Katrina where a doctor had to chose between overdosing those who could not be moved from the stricken hospital and would otherwise die a slow miserable death without electricity over the ensuing 2-3 days.

It's not much different from folks who want unbridled capitalism until they need a bail out.

Draconian decisions had to be made in early February but that's not how America works.

I don't think social distancing is having much of an effect on medical professionals lives. Quarantine areas of outbreak. Rest of the country back to work. That's my solution. NC has never needed draconian measures.

Nothing at all like Katrina.
lumberpack5
Wayland said:

Everyone making the decisions is only thinking about elections and their political careers and what could go wrong to make them look bad.... Not what is actually the best reasoned course of action.
What we have in America is that Americans do not appreciate proactive decision by government at any level. The best example is the pot hole in your street.

If the City comes by and fixes the pothole when it is small - you don't notice it and you don't appreciate it and when they tell you they did it you think they are lying. This conundrum is why the pothole is allowed to grow until it is noticeable and then fixed. Then you praise the City for fixing the pothole. Americans by and large are not good judges of true risk and reward because too many make such decision emotionally, needing tangible evidence, yet falling back on a religious based ethos as they attempt to do the right thing as cheaply as possible.

This is why so much money is poured into geriatric care as opposed to prenatal and early childhood care. For most people they feel unethical to weight cost of Grandma's final two years against a child first 20. However resources are finite and people end up driving illogical decision that are often the worst of all worlds. America gets the politicians it deserves.

Even the crooked politician are also attempting to do good for their supporters. A politician is like a loaded gun, properly supervised and managed it is a good tool - unsupervised and allowed run wild it can kill you and others.
I like the athletic type
Wayland
Lose 5 to 10% of the healthcare workers to being laid off maybe because hospitals are insolvent. A friend of mine works on the board of a hospital and they are losing money hand over fist. No corona patients, no electives, doing telehealth at a loss.

Social distance isn't helping them because most are catching it at work.
lumberpack5
packgrad said:

lumberpack5 said:

packgrad said:

Mormad said:

I don't think social distancing is having much of an effect on medical professionals lives. Quarantine areas of outbreak. Rest of the country back to work. That's my solution. NC has never needed draconian measures.

When you have not done your job and don't know where the virus is, who do you quarantine? As I said draconian measures had to be taken in February. Because only weak action was taken, the virus was loose in much of the country
I like the athletic type
lumberpack5
Wayland said:

Lose 5 to 10% of the healthcare workers to being laid off maybe because hospitals are insolvent. A friend of mine works on the board of a hospital and they are losing money hand over fist. No corona patients, no electives, doing telehealth at a loss.

Amazing, if most of them are catching at work, how did it get to work?

Ah that's right, it came to work from the public spread. Funny how that works
I like the athletic type
Wayland
lumberpack5 said:

Wayland said:

What we have in America is that Americans do not appreciate proactive decision by government at any level. The best example is the pot hole in your street.

If the City comes by and fixes the pothole when it is small - you don't notice it and you don't appreciate it and when they tell you they did it you think they are lying. This conundrum is why the pothole is allowed to grow until it is noticeable and then fixed. Then you praise the City for fixing the pothole. Americans by and large are not good judges of true risk and reward because too many make such decision emotionally, needing tangible evidence, yet falling back on a religious based ethos as they attempt to do the right thing as cheaply as possible.

This is why so much money is poured into geriatric care as opposed to prenatal and early childhood care. For most people they feel unethical to weight cost of Grandma's final two years against a child first 20. However resources are finite and people end up driving illogical decision that are often the worst of all worlds. America gets the politicians it deserves.

Even the crooked politician are also attempting to do good for their supporters. A politician is like a loaded gun, properly supervised and managed it is a good tool - unsupervised and allowed run wild it can kill you and others.

I was fine with the shutdown when it was done because we had incomplete information basef partly on government failings. We now are a month in and there has been complete inaction to move forward beyond a shutdown.

Fortunately we have a ton of countries who are publically sharing their data and who have handled then situation in a variety of ways. Czech Republic, Denmark, Austria, Germany etc are all moving towards staggered reopening while NC (a state with a very similar profile in cases and fatalities) institutes further retail restrictions (that were all being followed) without actually protecting the congregate facilities where we are getting the majority of our positive tests.

Making decisions try make look like they want to get no one killed all the while killing people in congregate facilities and not helping the general public.
packgrad
lumberpack5 said:

packgrad said:

lumberpack5 said:

packgrad said:

Mormad said:

When you have not done your job and don't know where the virus is, who do you quarantine? As I said draconian measures had to be taken in February. Because only weak action was taken, the virus was loose in much of the country

I'm not talking about hypotheticals where people haven't done their jobs and don't know where it is. Draconian measures never needed to be taken in NC.

February is irrelevant. There are arguments it was here in December.
lumberpack5
Wayland, I hear the Laurels in Pittsboro could use some work. Maybe you should visit them?
I like the athletic type
Wayland
lumberpack5 said:

Wayland said:

It is a highly contagious virus that is last weeks and is symptomatic in the majority of the carriers... Combined with the fact that we aren't actually testing anyone... How do you think? It exists in the wild and will continue to. We will never have a non zero corona virus rate ever again. That sucks, it sucks people are dying. But to pretend we are 'saving the world' is kidding ourselves. It is a live virus that is contagious and asymptomatic.

And to day 5 to 10% of medical staff will die is false argument.
lumberpack5
packgrad said:

lumberpack5 said:

packgrad said:

lumberpack5 said:

packgrad said:

Mormad said:

I'm not talking about hypotheticals where people haven't done their jobs and don't know where it is. Draconian measures never needed to be taken in NC.

February is irrelevant. There are arguments it was here in December.
Silly rabbit, it does not matter how long it was here, what matters was when you attempt to stop it. The government waited too late.so no February was not irrelevant.
I like the athletic type
lumberpack5
Wayland said:

lumberpack5 said:

Wayland said:

It is a highly contagious virus that is last weeks and is symptomatic in the majority of the carriers... Combined with the fact that we aren't actually testing anyone... How do you think? It exists in the wild and will continue to. We will never have a non zero corona virus rate ever again. That sucks, it sucks people are dying. But to pretend we are 'saving the world' is kidding ourselves. It is a live virus that is contagious and asymptomatic.

And to day 5 to 10% of medical staff will die is false argument.
I realize you need to base your argument on the back of the social distancing that has already been done. You climb up on that elephant and announce how tall you are, but you are still on the elephants back and off the elephants back your argument is about 5' 2".

Let's try your argument with no one doing ANYTHING to bend the curve. Oh wait, that wont get you what you want either. Oh well.
I like the athletic type
Wayland
lumberpack5 said:

Wayland, I hear the Laurels in Pittsboro could use some work. Maybe you should visit them?

Typical., wish the virus on someone who disagrees with you. I don't want anyone to get it, I don't want anyone to die. I also realize both are impossible, so I would like a plan to minimize the risk to everyone other than to sit at home. There have to be more effective mitigation strategies.

But apparently discourse isn't allowed. We need to blindly fall in line behind politicians who are just hoping to be high in the polls in November.
wilmwolf
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
lumberpack5
Wayland said:

lumberpack5 said:

Typical., wish the virus on someone who disagrees with you. I don't want anyone to get it, I don't want anyone to die. I also realize both are impossible, so I would like a plan to minimize the risk to everyone other than to sit at home. There have to be more effective mitigation strategies.

But apparently discourse isn't allowed. We need to blindly fall in line behind politicians who are just hoping to be high in the polls in November.
Complaining is not discourse. It's just *****in'. If you had a legitimate idea you have not articulated it, but then no one has have they? I wonder why?
I like the athletic type
packgrad
lumberpack5 said:

Wayland said:

lumberpack5 said:

Complaining is not discourse. It's just *****in'. If you had a legitimate idea you have not articulated it, but then no one has have they? I wonder why?

Somebody hasn't read the thread and is just here to troll.
GoPack71
Honest question Lumber, where does the 5-10% of our medical professionals getting wiped out stat come from? Is that dead? Temporarily incapacitated?
lumberpack5
GoPack71 said:

Honest question Lumber, where does the 5-10% of our medical professionals getting wiped out stat come from? Is that dead? Temporarily incapacitated?
As of now there are 560K cases and 22K deaths in the US.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zahrahirji/us-health-care-workers-coronavirus

This article notes that many states are reporting an average percentage infection rate in fields associated with health care ranging from 10-17%. Let's assume the real percentage of the total pool is just 12%.

That nearly 70K healthcare infections and when you apply the deaths and 12% you get 2,600 health care worker related deaths. This as the US is probably at the mid point of the current round.

I don't expect 5-10% to die, but you will lose many people to career changes and burnout over the virus and the stress. I know of two local health systems that worry they may lose 5-10% of their staff after the current round is over. Not to deaths, but to burnout and career change.

Where will you lose those people - in rural systems or urban? Duke and Wake Med can lose a 100 people and keep going. How many can a small system of single hospital and not be impacted?

I have a close relative who is their final year of med school. Prior to this they thought they knew the risk factors related to their future profession. They wanted to do anesthesiology. Most of the time it goes okay. Sometimes it messy as hell and fluids go all over hell and creation. They did not sign up to work in the basement of the CDC on level 4 *****

I get to hear a different side than Wayland and Packgrad every day. I also have autoimmune compromised people in my family. I'm not interested in a **** head accidentally killing my nephew by coughing on him.

As I said earlier, to have done something different meant taking tough action very early. The Trump administration is not geared toward that for a host of reasons. America is not geared to that action. Even if that action had been taken, Americans would not have appreciated the result.
I like the athletic type
GoPack71
Thank you for the spelled out response. I think one problem our society has now is the need for a scape goat. Let's be honest, no matter what this situation sucks and a lot of people are going to get sick, a lot people are going to die and a LOT of people are going to be adversely effective. There are no good choices most likely, just less bad ones.Hopefully there is some seasonality and that buys us enough time for some effective treatments.
packgrad
Hospital employees are more likely going to burn out from making Tik Tok videos than the virus. That or they get laid off because the hospitals are losing money from the quarantine.
Wayland
Acknowledging one death is too much and not that ACTUAL statistics matter rather than made up on the fly numbers. But here is some actual data from Italy on healthcare worker death rate.

The death rate among 14.000+ infected medical workers is now at just 0.3% in Italy.
18-29: 0/1284 (0%)
30-39: 2/2346 (0.1%)
40-49: 3/3938 (0.1%)
50-59: 14/4809 (0.3%)
60-69: 20/1568 (1.3%)
70-79: 9/87 (10.3%)

From: TABELLA 5. DISTRIBUZIONE DEI CASI, DECEDUTI E LETALIT IN OPERATORI SANITARI
(DISTRIBUTION OF CASES, DEAD AND LETHALITY IN HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS)

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Bollettino-sorveglianza-integrata-COVID-19_9-aprile-2020.pdf

But ya, let's throw 5-10% out there because it is scarier.

And to assume that I don't have at risk family and wish them ill is insulting.
lumberpack5
Wayland you have a reading comprehension problem. I never said I expect 5-10 to die, I expected 5-10 to get out of the professions. But when you have a piss poor argument it's always good to pull out Italian stats on something that's not a direct rebuttal. You get points for that.

From the American Academy of Nursing Colleges - A year ago no less:

https://www.aacnnursing.org/News-Information/Fact-Sheets/Nursing-Shortage

According to AACN's report on 2018-2019 Enrollment and Graduations in Baccalaureate and Graduate Programs in Nursing, U.S. nursing schools turned away more than 75,000 qualified applicants from baccalaureate and graduate nursing programs in 2018 due to insufficient number of faculty, clinical sites, classroom space, and clinical preceptors, as well as budget constraints. Almost two-thirds of the nursing schools responding to the survey pointed to a shortage of faculty and/or clinical preceptors as a reason for not accepting all qualified applicants into their programs.

A significant segment of the nursing workforce is nearing retirement age.
According to a 2018 survey conducted by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing and The Forum of State Nursing Workforce Centers, 50.9% of the RN workforce is age 50 or older.

The Health Resources and Services Administration projects that more than 1 million registered nurses will reach retirement age within the next 10 to 15 years.

Changing demographics signal a need for more nurses to care for our aging population.

Issued in May 2014, the U.S. Census Bureau report on An Aging Nation: The Older Population in the United States found that by 2050, the number of US residents age 65 and over is projected to be 83.7 million, almost double its estimated population of 43.1 million in 2012. With larger numbers of older adults, there will be an increased need for geriatric care, including care for individuals with chronic diseases and comorbidities.

Insufficient staffing is raising the stress level of nurses, impacting job satisfaction, and driving many nurses to leave the profession.

In the July 2017 issue of BMJ Quality & Safety, the international journal of healthcare improvement, Dr. Linda Aiken and her colleagues released findings from a study of acute care hospitals in Belgium, England, Finland, Ireland, Spain, and Switzerland, which found that a greater proportion of professional nurses at the bedside is associated with better outcomes for patients and nurses. Reducing nursing skill mix by adding assistive personnel without professional nurse qualifications may contribute to preventable deaths, erode care quality, and contribute to nurse shortages.

In the March 2005 issue of Nursing Economic$, Dr. Peter Buerhaus and colleagues found that more than 75% of RNs believe the nursing shortage presents a major problem for the quality of their work life, the quality of patient care, and the amount of time nurses can spend with patients. Looking forward, almost all surveyed nurses see the shortage in the future as a catalyst for increasing stress on nurses (98%), lowering patient care quality (93%) and causing nurses to leave the profession (93%).

High nurse retirement and turnover rates are affecting access to health care.

In the September 21, 2015 issue of Science Daily, healthcare economist David Auerbach released findings from a new study, which found that almost 40% of RNs are over the age of 50. "The number of nurses leaving the workforce each year has been growing steadily from around 40,000 in 2010 to nearly 80,000 by 2020. Meanwhile, the dramatic growth in nursing school enrollment over the last 15 years has begun to level off."

In September 2007, Dr. Christine T. Kovner and colleagues found that 13% of newly licensed RNs had changed principal jobs after one year, and 37% reported that they felt ready to change jobs. These findings were reported in the American Journal of Nursing in the article "Newly Licensed RNs' Characteristics, Work Attitudes, and Intentions to Work."

Now, you may think Covid will not affect numbers of Nurses, EMT, Doctors, etc., etc. In places where it's not a problem like outpatient centers and small hospitals, it may not be an issue. It is however an issue for Duke and UNC.
I like the athletic type
Wayland
Daviewolf83
Just got home and spent some time catching up on the thread. I had to go help out with my mom today, since my dad was in an emergency room getting checked out for a couple of hours. He is home now and doing okay.They are both 85 years old - my mom has been on a ventilator for almost 20 years, due to deteriorating health associated with muscular dystrophy and my father has diabetes, can barely see and hear. They are not in a nursing home and pay for help to come in a couple of times a day to help out. I have avoided going to see them for the past several weeks, so I would not risk infecting them, but today I had to go.

Here are some comments on what I have read in the thread and other things I have learned recently (sorry for the length, but I had a lot of time to think while driving for four hours total):

1. Several times in this thread I have clearly laid out a way for NC (and the US for that matter) to get out of the lock-down. I will not go into detail except to say Test-and-Trace. This is what South Korea has done and they have avoided doing lock-downs nation wide. Most people who have examined this agree this is the best approach to lift the lock-downs.To implement Test-and-Target, we have to continue to increase testing capabilities (more on this in another point), but it does not require us to test everyone. It does not require significant portions of the population. It is highly targeted testing, focused on people who deal directly with the at-risk populations and people who exhibit symptoms. Once people are found to be positive, you quarantine them (means they do not leave their house for 14 days minimum) and you find everyone they came in contact with and test them.

2. There are two types of testing that should be done - molecular testing and antibody or serology-based testing.
- Molecular is what we currently have available and it can either be rapid (in the case of the Abbott Labs tests) or it can take several days. We currently have approximately 18,000 of the Abbott Labs test machines available. We have done over 56,000 tests in NC so far and most of this has not involved the Abbott Labs testing. The non-Abbott tests are very accurate, but we have suffered with test material and PPE shortages that have impacted doing more.
- The Abbott Labs test has the advantage of only taking 15 minutes to get results, but the test machines are not readily available in NC. Even though there are reportedly 18,000 in the US, NC reportedly only has 15 machines. Abbott Labs says they can make about 400 per week of these test machines and NC needs more. The Abbott machine can do about 4 tests per hour, so current capacity running 24/7 is 1,440 tests per day. If NC is able to increase its supply of machines to a total of 85 (this is based on a 3% allocation of six week's production), capacity could be increased to 8,160 tests per day.
- Currently a FDA approved anti-body test for Covid-19 does not exist in the US. Many companies and universities are working on this test, but currently none are in broad use and are only going through clinical trial at the moment. Some companies in other countries (China for example) are offering tests that reportedly test for Covid-19, but these are not approved and Dr. Birx has stated that we do not know if they are reliable, so they should be avoided. The anti-body tests will test for two types of immunoglobulin, IgM and IgG. IgM is the immunoglobulin first produced by the body when it begins to fight the virus. IgG eventually replaces IgM as the body fights the virus and becomes the predominate anti-body in the body. The anti-body tests need to be able to test for IgG to be effective.
- Once the anti-body test is available, it can be used to survey the population to determine to what extent people have already been exposed to Covid-19 and they should no longer be at risk. There is a lot of debate currently with regards to how long the virus has been present in the US and the extent that people had the virus months ago (or even recently) and were able to fight it off. There are some studies with limited numbers of people in the study from Oregon and California (less than 50 in each study) that seem to indicate it may have been present in late-November or December. The belief is that these states see a higher percentage of travel from China, so they may have been exposed to the virus earlier than other parts of the country.
- Anti-body testing is likely to be more effective in those states and areas that have seen the largest number of cases (NY, NJ, California, Washington, Louisiana, etc). The theory is you will find much higher numbers of people who have been exposed and now have the anti-body. In the states with less cases and exposure (NC is a perfect example,but others such as Wyoming, Montana, etc) will not benefit as greatly from these types of tests. It is still important to do the testing in these less-effected states to gain a general baseline for the existing exposure level, but it is likely wishful thinking to believe that a large portion of the population already has immunity.

3. It is way to early to be playing the blame game, particularly as it relates to political parties. Current evidence indicates leaders from both parties have made mistakes and have been slow to act. I could summarize many instances where leaders have provided bad advice to the citizens of particular states (NY and California are good examples), where leaders did not put in place strategies to adequately protect high-risk populations (NC is a good example) and were slow to put more broad travel restrictions in place (particularly where Europe and Iran are concerned). The time to have a full retrospect lessons-learned analysis is next year when the virus is hopefully more under control. Right now, the focus of our leaders needs to be solely on how we get the virus under control and get the economy open.

4. Dr. Fauci is not wrong about there being a second wave. He has been very clear on this and most virologists are of the same opinion. Dr. Fauci has also been clear that the very drastic measures we have taken over the past several weeks and will continue to take over the next several weeks most likely will NOT be required when the second wave hits. His view is by the time the second wave hits, we will have a few things going for us now that we did not have in February:
- We will have effective tests available -both molecular (slow and fast results) and anti-body. We did not have a test available in February, so the US was severely limited in this regard and it significantly contributed to the need to lock down. The reason for the lack of a test has been clearly documented and it has less to do with being slow to react and more to the point that the original test submitted for approval by the FDA failed. So a new test had to be developed and this took until March to be developed and approved.
- He believes we will have some effective treatments to the Coronavirus available to us when the second wave hits. We do not have them now. Last I looked, there were over 300 clinical trials underway and there is some optimism a few will be successful. While hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin are getting a lot of press and I agree it should be tested in clinical trials, I am not as optimistic about its ultimate success. There is also optimism about remdesivir (developed to fight Ebola) and there are some promising early results. We need clinical trials to validate the success of all of the proposed treatments. There are lots of people now working on various treatments and I am optimistic some things will be found that help. However, it will be a few months before we know for sure.
- We will have better strategies for testing and tracking breakouts of the virus and better able to lock down select areas instead of locking down the entire economy.

5. Some people are suggesting we cannot open the economy until a vaccine is available and quite frankly, this is not a rational strategy. Additionally, is it not rational or reasonable to keep the economy locked down until there are zero deaths and zero cases of the virus. Most people I have seen suggest lock-downs can lift when two things happen:
- The number of daily new cases drops for 15 days straight and,
- Testing capabilities exist to conduct Test-and-Trace

6. Lock-downs were put in place to reduce the number of deaths and to lower the chances our healthcare capacity will be exceeded. I do believe the lock-downs have achieved both of these things and in many states (California and Washington) the success has exceeded expectations. In other states such as NY and NJ, they have experienced heart breaking levels of death, but I truly believe it would have been worse without the lock-downs. I will also note that for the most part in these states, they did not run out of critical ventilators or hospital/ICU beds. They have experience shortages of PPE, but I truly believe the government has done the best they could to insure PPE as available.

7. North Carolina has NOT been severely hit when compared with other states in the South and for the most part has been very lucky. If trends continue to hold, NC will not exceed its healthcare capacity for beds, ICU beds and ventilators. In fact, I believe NC has enough ventilators (based on current trends) to send some ventilators to other hard hit areas if this is necessary. I have provided statistics in earlier posts on this thread to backup this statement and I stand by my assessment. I firmly believe the lock-down measures being taken can begin to be lifted by the middle of May at the latest.

8. If current trends hold and even with the large increase in cases that have hit nursing homes, I believe NC will peak in the number of deaths per day a the end of next weekend. I do expect this week to be the worst week of deaths in NC, but I expect cases this week to begin to drop by the end of this week. I will say the large increase in cases in the nursing homes (where the majority of new cases are coming from) really pisses me off and the leadership of NC should take some time when this is done to figure out what they could have done better. I personally believe the NC leadership should have focused testing of nursing home workers and I also believe many nursing homes should have locked-down their facilities to all outside visitors (anyone who does not work in the facility) much earlier than they did.

9. The media and others need to get over the fact that lock-downs can be lifted starting in early May. There are many states that due to their low population densities, have seen limited impact from the virus. With Test-and-Trace, these states should definitely begin to open up at the end of April. Dr. Fauci has been clear (apparently some chose not to listen) that some states will be able to open up before other states do. I believe states such as NY, NJ, Michigan, Louisiana will be some of the last states to open up. Other large states like Washington and California could open up before some of the more hard hit states. States like Wyoming, Montana, Maine, North Dakota, etc, could open up end of April.
lumberpack5
Thank you Davie.
I like the athletic type
packgrad
lumberpack5 said:

GoPack71 said:

Where will you lose those people - in rural systems or urban? Duke and Wake Med can lose a 100 people and keep going.

lumberpack5 said:

Now, you may think Covid will not affect numbers of Nurses, EMT, Doctors, etc., etc. In places where it's not a problem like outpatient centers and small hospitals, it may not be an issue. It is however an issue for Duke and UNC.

Conflicting trolling posts made 2 hours apart.
navywolf
Closing down the economy kills people too. There has to be a reasonable risk assessment. I would like to think that some restrictions will begin to lift in May in NC. I think most people understand the need for this initial round of restrictions for a few weeks, but frankly, people just aren't going to stay home forever.
Ground_Chuck
Wayland said:

Mormad said:

And a month ago 2.2 million Americans were going to die, and the state of NC released an analysis partly based on the report this week.

There may be a second wave, but what does it look like. Is NY pushing HI at this point, their infection rate must be insane. Or at least a critical mass infection rate.

Maybe on the next wave we will actually protect nursing homes unlike this time.

You didn't accurately process the information regarding the 2.2 million number. That number was the best estimate of what would happen if we did nothing. That estimate was made 3 months ago, not 1 month ago.

The updated estimate from a month ago was 100,000 based on measures already taken and more localized R0 estimations.
Mormad
Thank you, Davie. Really excellent post.

I hope there is no logical and reasonable human being who truly believes that social distancing isn't affecting healthcare workers' lives or the silly immature completely uninformed statement that healthcare workers are more likely to burn out on making tik tok videos than the effects of the virus. Good Lord, man.
First Page Last Page
Page 53 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.