Coronavirus

2,007,694 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Werewolf
PackPA2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No, I agree. We don't have any really good studies on the topic was my only point.

A RCT may show that natural immunity is greater than vaccine immunity. It may not. I have no idea other than my anecdotal evidence in our clinic which is an incredibly small sample size comparatively.

I just think we need better studies than what we have. The evidence is too flawed and inconclusive at this point to form a conclusion in my opinion.
packgrad

packgrad
Surprised to see this out of NY. Well done US Open.

TheStorm
I'm still old enough to remember when people would be out of work an entire week when they were totally knocked out with what used to be referred to as the flu. Some people used to actually stay sick an entire week and could barely even get out of bed when they had it.

*By the way, this isn't directed at any one person or any one post. It's just a factual statement that I wanted to remind people of.
TheStorm
Mormad, any update on your wife's friend that caught it a couple of weeks back and got pretty sick? Hope that she got better and still isn't suffering any lingering effects. Curious to hear the details when you get a chance to share them.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

I'm still old enough to remember when people would be out of work an entire week when they were totally knocked out with what used to be referred to as the flu. Some people used to actually stay sick an entire week and could barely even get out of bed when they had it.

*By the way, this isn't directed at any one person or any one post. It's just a factual statement that I wanted to remind people of.
Despite your caveat and Cary's concerns about my intelligence, I think i can figure out what this is a response to

Of course....and now many adults take the flu vaccine to avoid missing a week of work (or school), and its worked wonders. And ever since companies gave us laptops (remember when we thought this was a good thing, smh), we can even still work when under the weather. My argument would be --- give me a low risk way to avoid that, I'm taking it. And, given the potential risk of much more serious complications than just missing work for a week....the immunity deal is just riskier, especially for us older folks (>50), who probably are not as 100% healthy as we think we are! Apparently you agree to an extent, since you got the shot too.

Now....as for boosters, etc and continued "top ups", I hear the concerns there that much more info is needed. I've found the feedback from SF and Mormad to be very interesting in this debate.

FlossyDFlynt
TheStorm said:

Man, I got the flu for the first time in about a decade a couple of years ago and it knocked me on my ass. I was remote even then, and I told them I would work as long as I could during the day, but I was going to hit a wall at some point and would need to take the rest of the day off to rest. Sure enough, just about at lunch time daily, I had to call it quits because I literally couldn't physically sit at my desk any more. Full disclosure, I did not get the flu shot that year. Long story short, the shot used to make me sick for about a day, and since I wasnt on site that year, I didnt get it. Since then, I have discovered I have an intolerance for eggs, and now get the shot made without eggs and have zero issues with the shot.

Ironically, I got it at a Canes game. I dont remember anyone asking for proof of flu shots to get in though. Makes you think...
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Despite your caveat and Cary's concerns about my intelligence, I think i can figure out what this is a response to

Of course....and now many adults take the flu vaccine to avoid missing a week of work (or school), and its worked wonders. And ever since companies gave us laptops (remember when we thought this was a good thing, smh), we can even still work when under the weather. My argument would be --- give me a low risk way to avoid that, I'm taking it. And, given the potential risk of much more serious complications than just missing work for a week....the immunity deal is just riskier, especially for us older folks (>50), who probably are not as 100% healthy as we think we are! Apparently you agree to an extent, since you got the shot too.

Now....as for boosters, etc and continued "top ups", I hear the concerns there that much more info is needed. I've found the feedback from SF and Mormad to be very interesting in this debate.

Chem. No sir, it was not directed at you or your post... and I don't necessarily share Cary's opinion on the other comment either. You are obviously very intelligent, as I hope most people that post here are as having graduated from our fine university. It was just something that I wanted to put out there as a general reminder to all of us.

Funny thing that you decided to bring up the flu shot (and I almost posted this in my original). I've probably only had the flu 2-3 times since I graduated from college. My late mother was a nurse and the few times I got it were the same few years in the early 90's that she talked me into taking the flu shot. Ended up sick for 2-3 days within days of getting the shot each time. Last flu shot I ever got was in about '94 or so.

Now with the covid shots (Pfizer) I had no issues whatsoever. Not even the sore arm.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Chem. No sir, it was not directed at you or your post... and I don't necessarily share Cary's opinion on the other comment either. You are obviously very intelligent, as I hope most people that post here are as having graduated from our fine university. It was just something that I wanted to put out there as a general reminder to all of us.

Funny thing that you decided to bring up the flu shot (and I almost posted this in my original). I've probably only had the flu 2-3 times since I graduated from college. My late mother was a nurse and the few times I got it were the same few years in the early 90's that she talked me into taking the flu shot. Ended up sick for 2-3 days within days of getting the shot each time. Last flu shot I ever got was in about '94 or so.

Now with the covid shots (Pfizer) I had no issues whatsoever. Not even the sore arm.
Interesting on your experiences -- I know of people who refuse to get the flu vaccine b/c they did get sick, but i've never had a reaction, so have just kept doing it.
Same with Covid -- I had a bit of a sore arm after the first one, but nothing at all with the 2nd (Moderna). Within my family -- wife, kids, parents, inlaws....it was 50/50 ish Several, were like me and had zero reaction with 2nd shot....the other half were pretty universal and had fevers, tiredness, etc for about 18 hrs after.

The body is an amazing thing! And how our chemistry's work differently is also a testament to the complexity.
PackFansXL
I had the nasty version of the flu once. I was knocked out for 7 days with my temperature running up to 105. I had to alternate acetaminophen and ibuprofen at 4 hour intervals to keep my temperature from peaking at 105 when I tried the recommended 6 hour intervals. I could do nothing but sleep. It was truly a miserable experience. I get the flu shot now every October. That vaccine may or may not help me, but I definitely don't want to go through that or a similar experience again. No flu since then, but then again, I only caught it once without a shot.
caryking
I get the flu shot every year! In fact, I will be getting it this year as well. So, I'm not anti-vax... I'm hesitant on these vaccines, right now! Time could change my opinion.

BTW, I didn't get the flu shot, some years ago, and WOW!!! I got the flu and wanted to damn near die!

Chem, I really don't think you're an idiot! I play hard sometimes...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Civilized
caryking said:

I get the flu shot every year! In fact, I will be getting it this year as well. So, I'm not anti-vax... I'm hesitant on these vaccines, right now! Time could change my opinion.

BTW, I didn't get the flu shot, some years ago, and WOW!!! I got the flu and wanted to damn near die!

The US has jabbed arms 365 million times, with mostly mild side effects; a few hundred confirmed myocarditis incidences that all resolved; and arguably three deaths due to the J&J clotting (that they now know how to treat so that number should be zero moving forward).

Pfizer now has full FDA approval.

In the meantime, 633,000 Americans have died from COVID and tens of millions more have become seriously ill.

We know there is a >99.9% chance you will not be hospitalized or die from COVID if you've been vaccinated.

What will more time allow you, that a data set with 365MM samples and full FDA approval won't?

An engineering professor buddy of mine that teaches at State told me a joke about this last week. It went something like this:

A vaccine skeptic and an engineer are hiking a jungle trail together and come upon a rustic but sturdy-looking bridge over a croc-infested river.

The skeptic asks the engineer "So...what are the chances that bridge holds up, and I make it safely across the river if I use the bridge?"

The engineer stands back, surveys the bridge from several angles, and says, "I'd say the odds are 99% or better."

His vaccine skeptic buddy says, "In that case, I'll swim."
BBW12OG
So are going to give President Trump credit for curing the flu, common cold and all of the other illnesses that have disappeared since Covid became the predominant killer?

And here you go folks.... this is what the lefties want to see.

Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
GuerrillaPack
I've never gotten the flu shot, and I never get the flu....except for the one time I think I got the flu when I was in middle school.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
packgrad
Civilized said:

caryking said:

The US has jabbed arms 365 million times, with mostly mild side effects; a few hundred confirmed myocarditis incidences that all resolved; and arguably three deaths due to the J&J clotting (that they now know how to treat so that number should be zero moving forward).

Pfizer now has full FDA approval.

In the meantime, 633,000 Americans have died from COVID and tens of millions more have become seriously ill.

We know there is a >99.9% chance you will not be hospitalized or die from COVID if you've been vaccinated.

What will more time allow you, that a data set with 365MM samples and full FDA approval won't?

An engineering professor buddy of mine that teaches at State told me a joke about this last week. It went something like this:

A vaccine skeptic and an engineer are hiking a jungle trail together and come upon a rustic but sturdy-looking bridge over a croc-infested river.

The skeptic asks the engineer "So...what are the chances that bridge holds up, and I make it safely across the river if I use the bridge?"

The engineer stands back, surveys the bridge from several angles, and says, "I'd say the odds are 99% or better."

His vaccine skeptic buddy says, "In that case, I'll swim."
Same joke applies with the coronavirus itself. But masks, booster shots, quarantine, and what not....
Glasswolf
Some have inquired lately (caryking) and I appreciate you asking. My daughter had a infusion treatment 2 days ago and she is feeling much better as of today as is her mother. Her fianc' who is a lousburg police officer is still feeling weak.

For those who don't know the back story this girls mom and my wife use to work together at leith Toyota. She came to stay with us one weekend when she was 6. She's never hadcc ccf a real relationship with her birth father. Over 22 years I became dad. She is my absolute world.
Glasswolf
This is my babygurl
packgrad
Nice picture, and a lovely gal. Glad her health is improving and hope her fiance's improves as well.
PackFansXL
Glasswolf said:

Some have inquired lately (caryking) and I appreciate you asking. My daughter had a infusion treatment 2 days ago and she is feeling much better as of today as is her mother. Her fianc' who is a lousburg police officer is still feeling weak.

For those who don't know the back story this girls mom and my wife use to work together at leith Toyota. She came to stay with us one weekend when she was 6. She's never hadcc ccf a real relationship with her birth father. Over 22 years I became dad. She is my absolute world.
Kudos for stepping up and being the dad this girl needed. I pray everyone gets well soon and has no lasting side effects.
bigeric
FlossyDFlynt said:

TheStorm said:

Since then, I have discovered I have an intolerance for eggs,...
Hope I never get that. Just think, no more Duke's mayo.
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
FlossyDFlynt
bigeric said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

TheStorm said:

Since then, I have discovered I have an intolerance for eggs,...
Hope I never get that. Just think, no more Duke's mayo.
I think its just a certain protein. I still havent gotten a real good explanation on it, but as long as its not something like scrambled eggs, its fine. I dont get it, but Ill continue to steer clear of them
TheStorm
Great news Glass... very happy to hear it. Hope everyone involved has a full recovery.
Glasswolf
PackFansXL said:

Glasswolf said:

Kudos for stepping up and being the dad this girl needed. I pray everyone gets well soon and has no lasting side effects.
Thank you. Hardest thing was keeping my 33 year old son away from her lol....
ciscopack
Glasswolf said:

Great news!
Packchem91
Glasswolf said:

Kudos to you for stepping in! Girls need a strong dad to love on them and how to be loved. Sorry she's had to go thru the absolute ringer, but glad she's beginning to feel better.
statefan91
And just like that, covid cases have shut down daycare. Need adults to step up and get vaccinated and reduce transmission to these little kids.
PackPA2015
Update on our county school system: They had made masks optional. We have a year round school in the county that positives and quarantines had been increasing steadily over the past couple of weeks. Now, we have 500 students positive or in quarantine. Staffing is again becoming an issue.

Emergency board meeting has been called for tonight to discuss options.
Wayland
PackPA2015 said:

Update on our county school system: They had made masks optional. We have a year round school in the county that positives and quarantines had been increasing steadily over the past couple of weeks. Now, we have 500 students positive or in quarantine. Staffing is again becoming an issue.

We need to stop quarantining healthy asymptomatic people. How many of the 500 are positive?

The masks thing gets you around the 'quarantine' part from the DHHS perspective since they exempt masked close-contact.

We are creating most of the problem with massive theatrical rules and complex quarantine guidelines.

Stay home if sick. That is all.
packgrad
statefan91 said:

And just like that, covid cases have shut down daycare. Need adults to step up and get vaccinated and reduce transmission to these little kids.

Sounds like you need a new daycare.
PackPA2015
Wayland said:

PackPA2015 said:

We need to stop quarantining healthy asymptomatic people. How many of the 500 are positive?

The masks thing gets you around the 'quarantine' part from the DHHS perspective since they exempt masked close-contact.

We are creating most of the problem with massive theatrical rules and complex quarantine guidelines.

Our county has a 36% fully vaccinated rate and a 20% positivity rate for the last 14 days. No one masks. That is why so many are in quarantine. I do not know the exact number of positives, but I have heard it is rather high with students and staff.

I agree wholeheartedly, stay home if you are sick. But people in our county do not do that for whatever reason. Hence, why our office tests are increasing rapidly, our hospitals are completely full, and our school system is holding an emergency meeting.

As a healthcare provider, it is so frustrating to watch, but it is where we are. I don't know brother.
Mormad
What a mess
TheStorm
PackPA2015 said:

Wayland said:

PackPA2015 said:

Our county has a 36% fully vaccinated rate and a 20% positivity rate for the last 14 days. No one masks. That is why so many are in quarantine. I do not know the exact number of positives, but I have heard it is rather high with students and staff.

I agree wholeheartedly, stay home if you are sick. But people in our county do not do that for whatever reason. Hence, why our office tests are increasing rapidly, our hospitals are completely full, and our school system is holding an emergency meeting.

As a healthcare provider, it is so frustrating to watch, but it is where we are. I don't know brother.
Umm. No you don't. Rutherford County has a 39.1% vaccination rate for citizens 18 and above. What is it for the ones that actually have a chance to die?
Wayland
PackPA2015 said:

Wayland said:

PackPA2015 said:

There are in quarantine not because they don't mask. They are in quarantine because it is the POLICY to put them there if they don't mask. Quarantining healthy students is poor policy.

If they are sick. They should be home. If they are not sick, they should be in school.

Schools typically have a lower than community level of spread. Masked vs. masked optional schools showed no observable difference in case rates.

Kids don't just go into the closet when not in school, they will continue to be in the community, and likely at greater risk (as the past year's observational data has shown) of actually contracting COVID if they do not have it.

It sounds like public health messaging has failed and the greater public health and political leaders do bear some responsibility there, and sadly so do the individuals.

COVID isn't going anywhere, and I agree it absolutely sucks. And while I empathize, at this point, the train has largely left the station.

Hopefully in the meeting they can stress the importance of taking illness seriously and to remain isolated and home when sick. Since, largely, other than that, it is basically just a song and a dance.

PackPA2015
I appreciate you sharing the county I work in publicly friend.

Not sure what site you have seen this number, the update from our local health department on Tuesday was 36% fully vaccinated. Even if it is 39.1%, that's still pretty awful. It is showing in our cases and hospitalizations rather quickly.
Wayland
PackPA2015 said:

I appreciate you sharing the county I work in publicly friend.

Not sure what site you have seen this number, the update from our local health department on Tuesday was 36% fully vaccinated. Even if it is 39.1%, that's still pretty awful. It is showing in our cases and hospitalizations rather quickly.
Here is today's CDC data for Rutherford County and vaccinations. (Definitely well below average)

First Page Last Page
Page 367 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.