Coronavirus

2,005,224 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Werewolf
Glasswolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Does it really need to be made political?
Isn't the CDC is following directives of the Whitehouse Task Force. The response of the government is integral to the containment of the virus, no?

Do you think people shouldn't talk about the government's response and plans to contain / get people tested?

I think the people that want to talk about the government's response to the flu and plans to contain/get people tested are only talking about it for political reasons.

I response to the flu, there is a test and vaccine
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

packgrad
Glasswolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

If the supreme leader had just came out and said this was an issue and we are working on it as fast as we can it wouldn't have been. We comes out saying it it will be fine by summer and everyone that needs a test kit will get a test kit, it becomes political

Supreme leader... lol. I'm sure you would have been just fine if he had done that. Riiiiiiiight.
packgrad
Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Isn't the CDC is following directives of the Whitehouse Task Force. The response of the government is integral to the containment of the virus, no?

Do you think people shouldn't talk about the government's response and plans to contain / get people tested?

I think the people that want to talk about the government's response to the flu and plans to contain/get people tested are only talking about it for political reasons.

Interesting. My wife got the vaccine this year, then subsequently got the flu too.
Colonel Armstrong
Glasswolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

If the supreme leader had just came out and said this was an issue and we are working on it as fast as we can it wouldn't have been. We comes out saying it it will be fine by summer and everyone that needs a test kit will get a test kit, it becomes political
That's Mr. Supreme Leader to you, Glass
statefan91
Here you go - non-political update - lots of people dying:

Glasswolf
packgrad said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Interesting. My wife got the vaccine this year, then subsequently got the flu too.

I've gotten the vaccine every year for 30 years and no flu. What next
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

packgrad
My wife and I were supposed to go to Italy this summer.
packgrad
Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I've gotten the vaccine every year for 30 years and no flu. What next

Oh, you're the one.

I've gotten the vaccine once, and gotten the flu once. So there.
IseWolf22
packgrad said:

My co-worker is supposed to go for his honeymoon in mid-may. He will probably postpone the trip
RunsWithWolves26
IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

My co-worker is supposed to go for his honeymoon in mid-may. He will probably postpone the trip

Heading to Ireland and Scotland myself in mid-May. Coronavirus be damned. I'm going!
packgrad
RunsWithWolves26 said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Heading to Ireland and Scotland myself in mid-May. Coronavirus be damned. I'm going!

It's not the virus that scares me. It's getting stuck in another country for who knows how long that does. And then maybe being quarantined here too. I can't miss that much work.
statefan91
Someone check my math but this doesn't seem like very many people

Is that 0.00022727272% of the country?
Ground_Chuck
statefan91 said:

Is that 75k a day, a week, or total?
GoPack2008
packgrad said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Because the flu vaccine is not 100% effective.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

There are many strains of influenza and the vaccine is not effective against all of them.

The Polio vaccine? Measles vaccine? Work like a charm.
GoPack2008
wilmwolf80 said:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/09/politics/cdc-policy-test-kits-coronavirus/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

That's what the president is doing, though. It absolutely shouldn't be political, but it's become that.

This is a serious disease that combines high infection rates with a potentially high mortality rate. It's not going to wipe out humanity but it's definitely going to affect society.

Italy just went on full lockdown, for instance.

I don't think panic is warranted, but this is definitely a big deal and should be taken seriously.
wilmwolf
If everyone were totally candid, no matter how the current president was handling this issue, it would be wrong to a certain section of the population. Just like it would be wrong to a different section of the population if his predecessor were the one handling it. My query was not in regards to how it was being handled, nor about who or whom is making it political. I was simply asking why, within the confines of this message board thread, the discussion had to be made political. The answer is that it doesn't, but since that's all some folks care for it to be about, I'll excuse myself back to the bourbon thread.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
statefan91
Ground_Chuck said:

statefan91 said:

Total
GoPack2008
wilmwolf80 said:

If everyone were totally candid, no matter how the current president was handling this issue, it would be wrong to a certain section of the population. Just like it would be wrong to a different section of the population if his predecessor were the one handling it. My query was not in regards to how it was being handled, nor about who or whom is making it political. I was simply asking why, within the confines of this message board thread, the discussion had to be made political. The answer is that it doesn't, but since that's all some folks care for it to be about, I'll excuse myself back to the bourbon thread.

This isn't one of those situations where reasonable people disagree.

Our lack of coherent national response has left us vulnerable to end up worse than Italy currently is.
packgrad
GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

There are many strains of influenza and the vaccine is not effective against all of them.

Yeah. Kind of my point.
GoPack2008
packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah. Kind of my point.

What is your point, actually? I may have missed it.

A Covid vaccine wouldn't necessarily be like a flu shot.
packgrad
GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah. Kind of my point.

Glasswolf said the flu had a vaccine.
packgrad
statefan91 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

statefan91 said:

Total

It's the total. Today. From the link, "Commercial labs are working to develop their own tests that hopefully will be available soon. This will allow a greater number of tests to happen close to where potential cases are."
GoPack2008
packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah. Kind of my point.

It does have a vaccine.

Is your point that it's not 100% and therefore not a vaccine? Because that's not accurate.
packgrad
GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah. Kind of my point.

It does have a vaccine.

Is your point that it's not 100% and therefore not a vaccine? Because that's not accurate.

GoPack2008
packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah. Kind of my point.

It does have a vaccine.

I don't understand your point in quoting my post back at me.

Something can be less than 100% effective and still be a vaccine.

What point are you actually arguing?
packgrad
GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

packgrad said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah. Kind of my point.

It does have a vaccine.

I don't understand your point in quoting my post back at me.

Something can be less than 100% effective and still be a vaccine.

What point are you actually arguing?

Maybe you should just re-read the thread.
GoPack2008
^ I did. You don't seem to have a coherent point other than to be difficult. The flu has a vaccine.

Back on topic:
The news out of Italy is terrifying
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-italy-doctors-intensive-care-deaths-a9384356.html

There is no reason to think it's going to go differently here. The overloading of the healthcare system is going to be a major, major issue.
NatePait94
2 senators self-quarantining. One was in the same vehicle as the president less than 12 hours before.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
PackBacker07
NatePait94 said:

2 senators self-quarantining. One was in the same vehicle as the president less than 12 hours before.

I think it's a pretty safe bet Congress will be in a long recess the next 1-2 weeks. Those fogeys could be in serious peril if they get this virus.
Y'all means ALL.
packgrad
New cases in China and S Korea are slowing down according to BBC.
GoPack2008
packgrad said:

New cases in China and S Korea are slowing down according to BBC.
This is good news.

However, we are so far behind South Korea in terms of testing, which plays a crucial role in containment. They're able to test 10,000 people per day, we're nowhere near that.
IseWolf22
PackBacker07 said:

NatePait94 said:

I think it's a pretty safe bet Congress will be in a long recess the next 1-2 weeks. Those fogeys could be in serious peril if they get this virus.
Our leadership is really, really old. A spread through congress would lead to several special elections.

10% of Iran's parliament and several senior government officials have it.
GoPack2008
IseWolf22 said:

PackBacker07 said:

NatePait94 said:

Our leadership is really, really old. A spread through congress would lead to several special elections.

10% of Iran's parliament and several senior government officials have it.
Yep. Case fatality rate in 70-79 age range is likely 8-10%. Jumps to double digits past 80.
packgrad
Ivy League cancels tournament because of coronavirus. Kitties.
GoPack2008
packgrad said:

Ivy League cancels tournament because of coronavirus. Kitties.

Smart. Why risk it when you don't need to?

I actually hope you're right, but I don't think you are. But I'd much rather be the one who's eating crow in about 3 weeks, but I fear I won't be.
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.