Coronavirus

1,997,263 Views | 19824 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
Ground_Chuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packgrad said:

Dr Birx dropping bombs on fake media reports. Pretty sure I read an article in the NYT this week about not having enough ventilators.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2020/03/27/coronavirus-covid-19-henry-ford-life-death-protocols-letter/5085702002/
Daviewolf83
For those who are curious, here is a link to Dr. Birx's biography. I would encourage everyone to read it and gain confidence (if you do not have it already) in what she is saying in the daily briefings. I particularly like this last paragraph:

"Ambassador Birx has published over 220 manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals, authored nearly a dozen chapters in scientific publications, as well as developed and patented vaccines. She received her medical degree from the Hershey School of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University, and beginning in 1980 she trained in internal medicine and basic and clinical immunology at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center and the National Institutes of Health. Ambassador Birx is board certified in internal medicine, allergy and immunology, and diagnostic and clinical laboratory immunology."

Biography URL: https://www.state.gov/biographies/deborah-l-birx-md/
IseWolf22
packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Obama tweeted out that article in the Atlantic. Such a grand thing to do during a pandemic. Undercut your successor. What a bum.

Yes, Trump hasn't mentioned Obama's name at all during this crisis., right?

Unfortunately, Obama doesn't have the class of GWB. Obama needs to just shut up and let the current president preside. Spreading fake news does nothing to help the situation.
And Trump doesn't have the class of Obama, or Bush...or really any president in modern history. Why even go out on this limb right now?
Ground_Chuck
One of the first pilot studies of hydroxychloroquine concludes offers no additional benefit to coronavirus patients already being treated with current methods.

We will probably be getting more results from other studies in the next few weeks.

https://www.newsweek.com/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-conventional-care-study-1494176

Wolfn
I was really into this thread as it seemed to have a lot of informed posters posting informative links. I especially liked the somewhat positive/optimistic flavor of most of the posts. It was because the board lefties had dropped out of the conversation. Now they are back with doom and gloom and bashing Trump, and his panel. I have most of them on ignore but I still have to wade through the rebuttal posts of the rest of you. I hope their return is not due to actual real bad news they are here to celebrate. BTW I am not a power user of this system and this post was not intended as a reply to any specific post if it shows up that way. Stay safe everyone.
TopsailWolf
We antagonize DC for their animosity toward each other and inability to do anything constructive, yet we see it at every level of our society. When each side thinks their view is the only view NOBODY WINS. Yet, somehow neither side changes or compromises. The 10% on each far end scream about how wrong the opposite 10% is and the 80% in the middle suffer. America, the land of opportunity!
RunsWithWolves26
Ground_Chuck said:

One of the first pilot studies of hydroxychloroquine concludes offers no additional benefit to coronavirus patients already being treated with current methods.

We will probably be getting more results from other studies in the next few weeks.

https://www.newsweek.com/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-conventional-care-study-1494176

Is this written by the same person who wrote the article that gave you the talking points that 2.2 million Americans would die from this? The one that has since been debunked and proven wrong? The counter to your article is the doctor in NY who used these medicines on 350 people with great results.
IseWolf22
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

Is this written by the same person who wrote the article that gave you the talking points that 2.2 million Americans would die from this? The one that has since been debunked and proven wrong? The counter to your article is the doctor in NY who used these medicines on 350 people with great results.
The nature of medical studies is that you are going to have some that show great results and some that show no correlation. Multiple studies need to be completed before any conclusion can really be drawn. (That doesn't mean we can't move forward with human trials in emergency.)
But neither study from either post proves anything at all by itself
RunsWithWolves26
IseWolf22 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

The nature of medical studies is that you are going to have some that show great results and some that show no correlation. Multiple studies need to be completed before any conclusion can really be drawn. (That doesn't mean we can't move forward with human trials in emergency.)
But neither study from either post proves anything at all by itself

Didn't say it did but I tend to look more at a study that has 350 examples versus one that has 30. I also tend to believe the medical experts who have talked about this at length for a week and a half now and Al saying how much help it can be and has shown to be.
acslater1344
Wayland said:

PackBacker07 said:

Popping back in to counter the flu argument. COVID-19, at least this initial year, is worse than the flu. We still need more studies on COVID-19, but here are some early numbers:

- 2.5 infectious rate, 1.3 flu
- 20% cases send people to hospital, 2% flu
- 10-11 day average hospital stay, 5-6 day flu
- 1% death rate, .1% flu
- no vaccine or natural immunity, flu yes (to some extent)

Again, we need more time to accurately asses, but with those numbers we are doing exactly what we should currently. If this pushes into the fall flu season, we are going to be screwed healthcare-wise. Should the media cover it 24/7? Probably not, but when people are still going to spring break and doing other dumb ****, it needs to be beaten into their heads to stay home. Also, when POTUS is bored and calls a press briefing every afternoon, should the media not cover it? The faster we can get everyone in, the faster we can go back to normalcy. So blame the idiots, not the media IMO. Listen to the actual doctors, please. They aren't the media.

Flu is based on years worth of data and estimates of population exposure. Covid numbers are based solely on limited positive tests. Current hospitalization in NC is at less than 5% for Covid for VERY limited testing.. I swear I saw Cuomo say NY was at 13% of their positives. And that is only the cases they know... Rates are likely much lower for the entire exposed.

It can be possible that both the government and the media have totally botched this.

ding, ding, ding..
Ground_Chuck
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

As I've said many times, the 2.2 number was based on doing nothing. It wasn't debunked or proven wrong. The model has been updated based on new information and the results got much, much better.

Do you have link to the doctor's study in NY? Last I read, NY studies weren't starting till next week. The linked article is a small study out of China.
Ground_Chuck
So the 350 number apparently comes from a Facebook post by a Dr Vladimir Zelenko. He is PCP in the suburbs of NY.

It's not a study. It's a PCP who gave 500 people a malaria drug who had flu like symptoms. None of the patients were tested for COVID19, and none were hospitalized.

Yeah, trust that over of double blind published pilot study.
Colonel Armstrong
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2020/03/11/coronavirus-lockdown-may-save-more-lives-from-pollution-and-climate-than-from-virus/#c1b56dd5764d
Daviewolf83
Ground_Chuck said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

As I've said many times, the 2.2 number was based on doing nothing. It wasn't debunked or proven wrong. The model has been updated based on new information and the results got much, much better.

Do you have link to the doctor's study in NY? Last I read, NY studies weren't starting till next week. The linked article is a small study out of China.
Clinical trials in NY started on Tuesday of this week. I would expect to start hearing of results in about four weeks at the earliest. To date, there have been anecdotal reports from several states that a combination of hydroxychloroquine with other drugs has been effective. I am hopeful it will be effective, but we really need to see the results of the NY clinical trials to draw any conclusions.

I read the Newsweek article, but it is hard to tell if the hydroxychloroquine was used by itself or in a combination with other drugs. It could be the combining of drugs is more important than using hydroxychloroquine by itself.
PossumJenkins
I swear it truly feels like the media in this country is pulling for the disease
metcalfmafia
PossumJenkins said:

I swear it truly feels like the media in this country is pulling for the disease
Fear and panic keeps people glued to their screens. Business is booming for the TV networks right now.
wilmwolf
I'm very likely in the minority, but they don't get my eyeballs. I follow a few of the most relevant official twitter accounts, and I read some of the summaries of the briefings, but I'm not watching the TV news at all, and I've only been to their websites when someone has posted a link here that I wanted to read. Covering this thing, or anything else, 24 hours a day is pointless. They are basically filling time 23 of those hours. And I get that there's really nothing else going on right now, but they would be better off showing a live feed of grass growing at this point.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Obama tweeted out that article in the Atlantic. Such a grand thing to do during a pandemic. Undercut your successor. What a bum.

Unfortunately, Obama doesn't have the class of GWB. Obama needs to just shut up and let the current president preside. Spreading fake news does nothing to help the situation.

Do you didn't read the article and have no idea what it said?

Yes I read the fear mongering hit piece that our former president tweeted.
packgrad
I don't watch the news either. Or try not to. Wife had it on when I got out of the shower this morning and saw CBS continuing on with the ventilator fear mongering the morning after Birx comments.

Then I saw a cbs morning show clip on Twitter where Oprah's friend is basically begging the surgeon general to bash the president.

The press cheerleads failure of the president and success of the virus.
packgrad
IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

And Trump doesn't have the class of Obama, or Bush...or really any president in modern history. Why even go out on this limb right now?

Commenting on the former president undermining the current president is going out on a limb? Not hardly.
RunsWithWolves26
Ground_Chuck said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

You threw that number out around here like crackers to birds. Constantly using that number over and over to justify your radically inaccurate post. It was what you always went back to. The fact is, a lot of media ran with what that moron said. A lot of people in general ran with what that moron said. You posted his "research" constantly to justify your stance on it. You also stated that this guy was the "world expert" on this stuff. A world expert put out an obviously crap study that claimed 500,000 in the UK would die and 2.2 million in the USA would die has now changed his mind and says that 20,000 in the UK will die. If that is an expert, give me the dumbass on the street corner. He could guess better then that "world expert"
RunsWithWolves26
Testing is certainly increasing pretty fast. 87% of people tested so far have been negative for the virus. Still more then 50% of total cases are in NY state. I believe the number I saw earlier was 30% of deaths are in NY state as well.
RunsWithWolves26
Found this stat mindboggling. Only 5 COUNTRIES in the world have more COVID19 cases then the state of NY right now.
acslater1344
77 hospitalized in NC on 763 total cases. That percentage seems to be rising pretty quickly.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241553676.html
Ground_Chuck
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

You threw that number out around here like crackers to birds. Constantly using that number over and over to justify your radically inaccurate post. It was what you always went back to. The fact is, a lot of media ran with what that moron said. A lot of people in general ran with what that moron said. You posted his "research" constantly to justify your stance on it. You also stated that this guy was the "world expert" on this stuff. A world expert put out an obviously crap study that claimed 500,000 in the UK would die and 2.2 million in the USA would die has now changed his mind and says that 20,000 in the UK will die. If that is an expert, give me the dumbass on the street corner. He could guess better then that "world expert"

Again, I put the number out there because people were/are struggling matching the response to the death total. I was/am pointing out that the best experts in the world thought that doing nothing would be a disaster.

We've had this discussion before. I am not trying to convince you or anyone of anything. I'm stating a fact about why governments have reacted the way they did.
Ground_Chuck
826 cases in NC, 93000 cases in the US.

17k new cases yesterday.
Glasswolf
acslater1344 said:

77 hospitalized in NC on 763 total cases. That percentage seems to be rising pretty quickly.

It's going to go higher
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

packgrad
The epidemiologist with the bad 2.2 million model says he wasn't wrong. The model needed adjusting because everyone listened to him. Lol.
RunsWithWolves26
Ground_Chuck said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Ground_Chuck said:

Again, I put the number out there because people were/are struggling matching the response to the death total. I was/am pointing out that the best experts in the world thought that doing nothing would be a disaster.

We've had this discussion before. I am not trying to convince you or anyone of anything. I'm stating a fact about why governments have reacted the way they did.

The federal government started doing something in January by stopping all flights from China. These "studies" started in February. Stuff was already being done at that point so those "studies" were and are useless. These so called experts were doing studies based on a flawed information. Why do a study on what would happen if nothing was done when things were already being done and then throw it out there like it was the gospel? It allows the media and people in general to push their narrative of the world is about to end.
statefan91
Glasswolf said:

acslater1344 said:

It's going to go higher
So this is what I see from the article:

Quote:

The state's Department of Health and Human Services reported on its website it has recorded 763 coronavirus cases. Of those, 77 people have been hospitalized.

It's the fourth consecutive day the state's total case number has increased by 100 or more. The state's case total was just 297 on Monday.

Dr. Elizabeth Cuervo Tilson, the state's chief medical officer, said Thursday the average age of those infected with coronavirus is 41.

The largest impacted age group is 25-49, which accounts for 47 percent of the state's cases, according to N.C. DHHS. The 50-64 age group makes up 24 percent of cases, followed by 65 and older (14 percent) and the 18-24 age group (13 percent).

The state has now completed 15,136 tests, up from Thursday's 12,910 total.
So of the completed tests, 5% have come back as confirmed coronavirus. Of that 5%, 10% have required hospitalization.

So 0.5% (77/15136) of those that have been tested have been hospitalized. Am I doing that right? I know that we haven't tested nearly the number of people that could / should be tested so I assume those numbers would be even lower if we were actually testing all with symptoms.
IseWolf22
packgrad said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Commenting on the former president undermining the current president is going out on a limb? Not hardly.
Mentioning "Class" at all in regards to the current president. Yes you're going our on a limb.

I can't wait for Trump to tweet about his successor non-stop but suddenly it will be fine.
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

Glasswolf said:

acslater1344 said:

It's going to go higher
So this is what I see from the article:

Quote:

The state's Department of Health and Human Services reported on its website it has recorded 763 coronavirus cases. Of those, 77 people have been hospitalized.

It's the fourth consecutive day the state's total case number has increased by 100 or more. The state's case total was just 297 on Monday.

Dr. Elizabeth Cuervo Tilson, the state's chief medical officer, said Thursday the average age of those infected with coronavirus is 41.

The largest impacted age group is 25-49, which accounts for 47 percent of the state's cases, according to N.C. DHHS. The 50-64 age group makes up 24 percent of cases, followed by 65 and older (14 percent) and the 18-24 age group (13 percent).

The state has now completed 15,136 tests, up from Thursday's 12,910 total.
So of the completed tests, 5% have come back as confirmed coronavirus. Of that 5%, 10% have required hospitalization.

So 0.5% (77/15136) of those that have been tested have been hospitalized. Am I doing that right? I know that we haven't tested nearly the number of people that could / should be tested so I assume those numbers would be even lower if we were actually testing all with symptoms.

That looks right to me. More testing will increase the numbers of positive test and even those been hospitalized, but it will decrease the percentages because as you pointed out, the number of positives or negatives compared to those tested is a huge divide.
packgrad
IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Mentioning "Class" at all in regards to the current president. Yes you're going our on a limb.

I can't wait for Trump to tweet about his successor non-stop but suddenly it will be fine.

Ok. Enough of the "but Trump!" sidetrack. Obama should be quiet.
IseWolf22
packgrad said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Ok. Enough of the "but Trump!" sidetrack. Obama should be quiet.
Lol.
You started this derailment, but I'm going to drop it.
PossumJenkins
How many of those 77 that were hospitalized...are still hospitalized? The recovered cases continues to be a statistic that's conveniently left out
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.