Coronavirus

2,000,604 Views | 19842 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by Werewolf
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

TheStorm said:

We are officially still in Group 3 down here on the SE North Carolina coast... my wife is in Group 3 and I am in Group 4. We tried to get her scheduled yesterday morning and every official avenue in three (3) counties (ours, the one to the south and the one to the north) was out of appointments for the next five (5) days for shots.

Sounds like getting an appointment for a shot is kind of like trying to buy concert tickets through Ticketmaster from back in the day!
Storm, I don't know if you will see this in time, but there are currently shots available via Walgreens in Leland for Tuesday-Friday of this week.
Thanks wilm... it's worth a shot!
wolfman18
ncsualum05 said:

Update: Got Pfizer dose 1. Felt less invasive than a flu vaccine. No soreness but I anticipate some of that tomorrow or the next day. They wanted me back for dose 2 on April 5th but I delayed it to April 12th b/c my kids are off school Easter week and we are going to be at the beach.

Can anyone in the know remind me of the effectiveness % of Pfizer dose 1 and how long it takes to achieve it?
Same, didn't even notice the shot to be honest. I definitely feel the flu shot in my arm. The next couple of days my arm was pretty sore, moreso than other shots I've gotten.

My dad got the moderna vaccine (has received both shots) and didn't experience hardly anything both times.

I've read to expect symptoms after my second shot (Pfizer).

Question, on the data sheet provided about Pfizer, it says it's 3 weeks between shots, but Walgreens scheduled mine 4 weeks apart. Does that really matter?
TheStorm
JetsonGeorge said:

wilmwolf80 said:

TheStorm said:

We are officially still in Group 3 down here on the SE North Carolina coast... my wife is in Group 3 and I am in Group 4. We tried to get her scheduled yesterday morning and every official avenue in three (3) counties (ours, the one to the south and the one to the north) was out of appointments for the next five (5) days for shots.

Sounds like getting an appointment for a shot is kind of like trying to buy concert tickets through Ticketmaster from back in the day!
Storm, I don't know if you will see this in time, but there are currently shots available via Walgreens in Leland for Tuesday-Friday of this week.
Walgreens, go in and ask to be put on the list for leftover shots...when a vile is open and they don't have enough appointments. We did and got J & J shots within 48 hours. Also helped that we were willing to take the J & J shot as the pharmacist said a lot of folks don't want it.
Closest one for me is Porters Neck, if I can't get scheduled in Leland I'm going to try that.
PackPA2015
wolfman18 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Update: Got Pfizer dose 1. Felt less invasive than a flu vaccine. No soreness but I anticipate some of that tomorrow or the next day. They wanted me back for dose 2 on April 5th but I delayed it to April 12th b/c my kids are off school Easter week and we are going to be at the beach.

Can anyone in the know remind me of the effectiveness % of Pfizer dose 1 and how long it takes to achieve it?
Same, didn't even notice the shot to be honest. I definitely feel the flu shot in my arm. The next couple of days my arm was pretty sore, moreso than other shots I've gotten.

My dad got the moderna vaccine (has received both shots) and didn't experience hardly anything both times.

Question, on the data sheet provided about Pfizer, it says it's 3 weeks between shots, but Walgreens scheduled mine 4 weeks apart. Does that really matter?
No it does not. Same efficacy either way. Studies so far have shown similar efficacy with waiting 6 weeks after the 1st dose and possible 12 weeks.
WarrenPeace
And we still have 6 year olds wearing masks to play soccer.
wolfman18
Thanks for the information!
statefan91
PackPA2015 said:

I know someone earlier had discussed traveling to Europe in the summer. This looks like an even worse chance now. Cases are surging likely due to the B.1.1.7 variant and very poor vaccination rates. Italy, in particular, has just announced new lockdowns during the Easter holidays. Italy had the second highest increase in deaths yesterday just behind Russia. Third highest increase in daily cases behind India and Turkey. Hopefully, they get a hold of these numbers soon.

Italy Increasing Restrictions

Just had a patient call into our office. She had confirmed COVID in December and had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine. 1 month after her second dose, she fell ill and tested positive for COVID for the 2nd time. Her test/respiratory sample have been sent to the CDC for further evaluation. She has more significant symptoms this go round as compared to the first. Currently hospitalized. Not on a vent at this time, thank goodness. Talk about losing the luck lottery.
Yeah, that's no good.
statefan91
ncsualum05
wolfman18 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Nah it doesn't matter. They said as much when I told them I couldn't make it to the 3 week appt. Difference is with Pfizer you CAN do it in 3 weeks where as with Moderna you can't until 4 weeks have passed.

RunsWithWolves26
Just noticed we are now under 1,000 hospitalized at this time.
TheStorm
TheStorm said:

JetsonGeorge said:

wilmwolf80 said:

TheStorm said:

Walgreens, go in and ask to be put on the list for leftover shots...when a vile is open and they don't have enough appointments. We did and got J & J shots within 48 hours. Also helped that we were willing to take the J & J shot as the pharmacist said a lot of folks don't want it.
Closest one for me is Porters Neck, if I can't get scheduled in Leland I'm going to try that.
For those that have done this previously, what is the best time of day to call to see if they have leftovers?
Wayland
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Just noticed we are now under 1,000 hospitalized at this time.

ICUs are down as well. We are about 15-20 away from all time low (which was late August) since this was publicly reported (beginning of June).

Even with the redefinition of hospitalizations which the NC DHHS did in November.

Certainly positive trends. Hopefully numbers can stay down this time.
RunsWithWolves26
That's my concern. I've seen this before and hoping it has a better outcome then before. Really hoping the shots are the game changer.
Wayland
JetsonGeorge
TheStorm said:

TheStorm said:

JetsonGeorge said:

wilmwolf80 said:

TheStorm said:

For those that have done this previously, what is the best time of day to call to see if they have leftovers?
I live in a small town so...I walked in and to be added to the list. They took my name and number and called me a day later to schedule. My local pharmacist said she was opening the vile at 8:30 and had to use it by 2:30. She had enough appointments for all but 2 doses so my wife and I took them. That's how it worked for us.
RunsWithWolves26
Love how he called out fauci on one of those graphs.
AlleyPack
A question:

If it takes (hypothetical numbers here) 13 days after getting the vaccine to have 50% immunity.... does the percentage begin to rise/build following day ONE of getting the vaccine? Or are you zero percent immune up until Day 13, and then all of a sudden 50% immune?

Thanks
Mormad
I'm sure it builds daily
statefan91
Two days post-vaccine shot #1 and my arm is sore but have been able to work out both days.

Still in disbelief that I've been vaccinated. Many thanks to Operation Warp Speed for the development and the continued great job of those managing the logistics of getting the vaccines distributed. I saw we're hitting a rolling average of 2MM+ doses/day at this point.
dogplasma
A friend at work managed to get his first Moderna dose from one of the "leftover" distribution locations, but they didn't automatically schedule him for his second dose - said that was up to him to work out. Is that how it works if you don't get a scheduled vaccination? With Phase 4 rolling out, that seems like bad timing for him if so. Does he get priory in trying to find/schedule his second shot?
statefan91
That is actually what happened to me as well; we got in at a CVS from a backup list but weren't scheduled for shot #2.

My doctor friend told me that we go into a database of people that have gotten their first dose and can be prioritized once eligible for shot #2. I will update this thread once I get more info on the process, though I've already had COVID and many of the reports say that COVID + 1 dose gives significant antibodies.
wilmwolf
I know that when you schedule through walgreens, there are options for scheduling either both shots together, or the second shot only. Provided it's the same vaccine, you should be able to go in and schedule your second shot through them.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
WPNfamily
A little small sample size thing from my friends who have gotten jabbed so far. My meat head friends who still lift and are meaty in the upper body have been the sore ones. Skinny or fat friends who done carry much muscle haven't been sore. Odd.
PackPA2015
More follow-up on England's new surge. Emerging data shows an increase in mortality with this variant. Europe really, really needs to improve vaccination rates especially in their long-term care facilities.

Rapid Spread of Variant in England

AstraZeneca vaccine was not found to be very effective against the South African variant. I don't think this one will get approved in the U.S. anyways due to increased incidence of blood clots found in Europe.

AstraZeneca Vaccine against South African Variant
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

More follow-up on England's new surge. Emerging data shows an increase in mortality with this variant. Europe really, really needs to improve vaccination rates especially in their long-term care facilities.

Rapid Spread of Variant in England

AstraZeneca vaccine was not found to be very effective against the South African variant. I don't think this one will get approved in the U.S. anyways due to increased incidence of blood clots found in Europe.

AstraZeneca Vaccine against South African Variant
Thanks for posting. I agree with you on the AstraZeneca vaccine. I did see a couple of reports yesterday that downplayed the blood clot issue, but I still believe the AZ vaccine has a long way to go to get to approval in the US. At this point, I believe the vaccine supply in the US will be sufficient without needing the AZ vaccine.

With regards to LTC facilities and the new strains, in NC here are the current vaccination statistics:

LTC Facility 1st Dose = 127,506
LTC Facility 2nd Dose = 102,168

LTC Facility % of Allocated Vaccine Used = 79% (229,674 total doses/291,800 doses allocated)

Based on this, I believe NC has to get approximately 30,000 more people their second dose for LTC facilities to be fully vaccinated. This is based on an estimate I read a few months ago of 130,000 people needing to be vaccinated in LTC facilities in NC.
statefan91
ncsualum05
statefan91 said:

Guess he wants to make sure he kills any good mood on St Patrick's day.
Wayland
ncsualum05 said:

statefan91 said:

Guess he wants to make sure he kills any good mood on St Patrick's day.

I'll recap.

"COVID cases are stable. Our progress is fragile but is only going to continue if we do what we know works - The 3 Ws.

Your spot, your shot.

We will continue to follow the science and data with our dimmer switch approach.

Only I know how to keep you safe, you are unable to manage your own risk"

Or something along those lines.

I am sure it will involve some degree of back-patting for the great job he has done.
statefan91
Wayland said:

I'll recap.

"COVID cases are stable. Our progress is fragile but is only going to continue if we do what we know works - The 3 Ws.

Your spot, your shot.

We will continue to follow the science and data with our dimmer switch approach.

I am sure it will involve some degree of back-patting for the great job he has done.
Ha, good stuff. I think you're right, though i'm hopeful that there will be some mention of when we're expected to open to Group 5 / all adults for vaccines.
Wayland
statefan91 said:

Wayland said:

I'll recap.

Your spot, your shot.

Ha, good stuff. I think you're right, though i'm hopeful that there will be some mention of when we're expected to open to Group 5 / all adults for vaccines.
I am optimistic that vaccine distribution will accelerate for other groups. We have already seen a number of states basically go to all adults.

I think as we include younger adults, we will see a higher number of opt outs. But if we have the 65+ crowd and congregate facilities taken care of, that will go a long way.

I feel like I am seeing the number of reported congregate deaths dropping faster than the general population ones. But unfortunately, a good number of the deaths being reported now are weeks if not months old, so it masks some trends.
Daviewolf83
statefan91 said:

Wayland said:

I'll recap.

Your spot, your shot.

It has been reported that NC will likely move to Group 5 in early April. It all depends on the vaccine supply, but based on some reports I saw this morning about what other governors are saying, they seem to have been told to expect an expansion of supply in early April. I saw a graph this morning that shows approximately a 12 day lag in vaccines administered, compared to available supply. If this is accurate, expect vaccine administration to jump in mid-April.

One of the inhibitors to administration that is starting to appear is having enough qualified people to administer the doses. They likely need to begin a campaign to recruit retired people who are qualified to administer doses, ahead of the increase in dose supply.

As to people aged 16 and younger, I think it is unlikely you will see approval for a vaccine earlier than the Fall and one report I read, indicated it will not be until early 2022. The trials for this age group are underway, but I get the impression they will move more slowly in approving this age group than they did for the currently approved vaccines. Hopefully, these reports are wrong and vaccines for this age group will be approved this year.

Daviewolf83
As to the question regarding vaccines and their ability to reduce asymptomatic cases and transmission, the following table does a good job of summarizing the current information. The reason we wear masks it due to asymptomatic cases and if these are significantly reduced by vaccination, the masking requirements should go away.

You can find this table and other information at the following link:

Covid-19 Vaccine Summary Information
ncsualum05
Daviewolf83 said:

As to the question regarding vaccines and their ability to reduce asymptomatic cases and transmission, the following table does a good job of summarizing the current information. The reason we wear masks it due to asymptomatic cases and if these are significantly reduced by vaccination, the masking requirements should go away.

You can find this table and other information at the following link:

Covid-19 Vaccine Summary Information
Thank you for posting because I was going to ask something about that. After my 2nd shot I'm ready to take the mask off. I told my wife that and she started getting *****y. I told her that my understanding is your ability to carry and transmit after being vaccinated is very low and even if it were possible it would probably be a mild load. She would have none of it. She said public places are full of people that still haven't been vaccinated so I need to protect others. There is nothing rational about this mindset at all. I'm going to copy this chart for her not that it will help b/c she's f'in crazy.
RunsWithWolves26
Did you tell her that last part?
ncsualum05
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Did you tell her that last part?
I'm damn close. We've been fighting a lot lately. That's not a topic for this board though.
First Page Last Page
Page 240 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.