Coronavirus

2,000,335 Views | 19842 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by Werewolf
RunsWithWolves26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just looked at worldometers for number of active new cases and saw the little blue line curved downward. By God I sure hope that continues.
WolfQuacker
wilmwolf80 said:

The crazy part of the Rona is the variance in the symptoms. My Uncle got it and said his back hurt and he was really tired, and I'm like, hell, that's me every day.
My lower back was killing me the first 2-3 days. I rarely get back pain other than soreness from certain abnormal activity (knock on wood).

The symptom variance is nuts. I did not lose smell or taste - 11 months later my wife still can't smell certain things (lucky me I don't have to hold farts in the car anymore ) She had a significant amount of hair loss that is growing back in now. I had crazy 13 days of fever. She had 4. The common denominator as best I can tell is fatigue for nearly every patient. Outside of that, it's really inconsistent. Neither of us had hardly any respiratory issues other than tight chest and shortness of breath, but almost zero cough.
Daviewolf83
WolfQuacker said:

wilmwolf80 said:

The crazy part of the Rona is the variance in the symptoms. My Uncle got it and said his back hurt and he was really tired, and I'm like, hell, that's me every day.
My lower back was killing me the first 2-3 days. I rarely get back pain other than soreness from certain abnormal activity (knock on wood).

The symptom variance is nuts. I did not lose smell or taste - 11 months later my wife still can't smell certain things (lucky me I don't have to hold farts in the car anymore ) She had a significant amount of hair loss that is growing back in now. I had crazy 13 days of fever. She had 4. The common denominator as best I can tell is fatigue for nearly every patient. Outside of that, it's really inconsistent. Neither of us had hardly any respiratory issues other than tight chest and shortness of breath, but almost zero cough.
It is so strange how everyone is affected so differently. I have close friends (husband/wife) who both got the virus in early January. The husband had sniffles as he described it and the wife lost sense of smell/taste. Neither of them had any noticeable fever and the husband said his symptoms went away for the most part in 4 days. Both are in their mid-50s and they both no major health issues.
RunsWithWolves26
Little update from my dad. He was exposed on Friday, early morning. Still not showing any sign of symptoms but he did go get tested this morning. Doctor said from when he was exposed, he was basically at day 7 so he went ahead and tested him. Hoping he gets his results tomorrow. My uncle on the other hand, isn't doing to well. They called him yesterday and he is going today to have the elli lilly trial done. The same one they gave my grandma back in December when she was diagnosed. Allow me to say again even though it will be filtered. **** THIS VIRUS!!
statefan91
PackMom
https://khn.org/news/vaccine-pioneers-basic-research-scientists-laid-groundwork-for-billion-dollar-pharma-products/

Interesting article about the vaccine development.

PackPA2015
Daviewolf83 said:

WolfQuacker said:

wilmwolf80 said:

It is so strange how everyone is affected so differently. I have close friends (husband/wife) who both got the virus in early January. The husband had sniffles as he described it and the wife lost sense of smell/taste. Neither of them had any noticeable fever and the husband said his symptoms went away for the most part in 4 days. Both are in their mid-50s and they both no major health issues.
I third this. We have seen elderly individuals with many chronic medical problems breeze through their symptoms and we have seen individuals in their 30s without any medical problems that are active and healthy end up in ICU on a vent. We have seen it blow through entire families after a gathering and then we have seen wife or husband with it and their partner never tests positive. It is absolutely bizarre.
statefan91
I don't know what the process is for a recall in NY State, but this guy has got to go. Families should be able to sue and hold his administration responsible.

Daviewolf83
According to an article just published by the NY Times, in a survey of pediatric disease experts, 175 of them said schools can be opened safely, without the need to vaccinate teachers and students. You can read the entire article a the following link:

175 Pediatric Disease Experts: It's Safe to Open Schools Now
Daviewolf83
Updated vaccination news for the US and NC (Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker):

US Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 68,320,542
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 48,029,341 <== 10.9% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 70.3%

NC Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 1,938,127
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 1,554,378 <== 10.9% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 80.2% <== currently rank 7th in US for available doses administered

Some other vaccine notes:

1. In news out of Israel, they report that out of 523,000 people who have been fully vaccinated, there have been zero deaths from Covid-19 and only 4 severe cases. This is in keeping with the results reported from the vaccine trials and speaks to the high efficacy of the vaccines being used. You can read the full article here:

It Works: 0 deaths, only 4 severe cases among 523,000 fully vaccinated

2. Dr. Fauci reports that in the US, more than 20,000 pregnant women have been vaccinated without complications.

3. If you are interested in reading, the following article helps to explain why the second dose of the vaccine has much greater side effects.

The Second COVID-19 Shot Is a Rude Reawakening for Immune Cells

4. While the US is doing relatively well in vaccinating their citizens, Canada is not doing as well. While the US has now provided a first dose of the vaccine to over 10% of the population, Canada has vaccinated less than 2% of their population. Many countries in Europe are doing just as badly. I point this out to just say that while we can become frustrated at what we see as a slow rollout, we have to realize that the US continues to improve in this area and it should continue to get better.

5. While we focus on the J&J vaccine approval and look forward to the AstraZeneca vaccine concluding its trial, there is another vaccine that we should also focus on. The Novavax vaccine is almost done with its Phase 3 trial and early reports indicate it could have an efficacy of ~90%. If all goes well, we could see a supply of 110M doses by June of this additional vaccine.

US Vaccinations (Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker):

NC Vaccinations (Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker):

statefan91
Davie - I assume US is not purchasing Sputnik V? Glad that Russia was able to develop one at 90%+ efficacy as well, more supply for the world.
WPNfamily
My PCP office just called asked me if I would like to participate in an antibody infusion study. I didn't ask but I think they are asking to take my antibodies? Or would they be wanting to give me antibodies? I am confused.
Daviewolf83
statefan91 said:

Davie - I assume US is not purchasing Sputnik V? Glad that Russia was able to develop one at 90%+ efficacy as well, more supply for the world.
Correct. It is not a part of the highly successful Operation Warp Speed initiative of the prior administration.
RunsWithWolves26
As it pertains to Canada. My wife's mom lives in Canada. She is over 65 and works in the medical field. She was told earlier this week to not expect her shot until end of July at the earliest. I agree with you davie. We may get frustrated but by the time her mom gets the shot, we could all be in a position that if we want the shot, we can get it no matter age or work area. Just shows how strong the US is as a whole, even if we are divided otherwise.
Daviewolf83
Some good news. My father just called and said he got his first dose of the vaccine as scheduled. Said it was easy. Just walked into his Walgreens, showed them the email they sent with the confirmation numbre, got the shot, waited 15 minutes to make sure he had no reaction and left. He said there were very few people there getting a shot, but as I remember the site when I signed him up, the appointments were spaced out. So, it kind of made sense. I reminded him that I have already scheduled his second shot and I have the email confirmation. Will send it to him closer to the date for his second shot. He wondered why they are not doing appointments everywhere, since it was so easy and he did not have to wait in any long lines.

He was happy, since they were using the Moderna vaccine. He was nervous about getting the Pfizer vaccine, since it has to stay cold. At this point, given the efficacy of all of the approved vaccines, we should get whichever one is available to us. I am worried some people will try to shop around for the vaccine instead of just going ahead and getting the one that is first available to them.
statefan91
Great to hear.

My MIL is 64 but an Educator and was just able to sign up for 2/22. My parents and FIL are scheduled to get their 2nd doses next week.
wilmwolf
My mom and grandmother also got their shots at Walgreens today.
Daviewolf83
wilmwolf80 said:

My mom and grandmother also got their shots at Walgreens today.
Good to hear. Hopefully it went as well for them as it did my father. I warned him he may be a little sore tomorrow, so he should plan to have some Tylenol ready to take when he wakes up in the morning.
wilmwolf
As of a few minutes ago they were both doing well. Hoping just some soreness tomorrow. I'm glad that they were able to get it, their health has been my biggest consternation through all of this last year. I would really like to hug my 95 year old grandmother again.
RunsWithWolves26
My uncle went yesterday and received his elli lilly trial so hopefully that helps him recover. Got a text from my dad this morning at 6 and he got his results back. Thank the lord he is negative!
WPNfamily
Covid is really strange!

After the fever, chills, body aches, typical flu symptoms were gone I thought I was done with it!

This morning I was up with, no taste, no smell, white tongue, and being super sensitive to anything touching me. No pain sensitive but my skin crawling when anything touches me. I am wondering if this is because two senses are down and my sense of touch and hearing are now heightened?

Daviewolf83
WPNfamily said:

Covid is really strange!

After the fever, chills, body aches, typical flu symptoms were gone I thought I was done with it!

This morning I was up with, no taste, no smell, white tongue, and being super sensitive to anything touching me. No pain sensitive but my skin crawling when anything touches me. I am wondering if this is because two senses are down and my sense of touch and hearing are now heightened?

PackPA and Mormad can probably help with the more medical explanation, but I have read the loss of smell and taste is neurological and due to the virus' effect on the brain. If this is the case, it could help explain the crawling skin sensation and sensitivity to touch. All these symptoms would be related.

I might be totally off in my understanding, so I definitely would like to get their input on these symptoms, since I have only seen this explained in a couple of places.
IseWolf22
Dad got his second shot Thursday, and Grandma just got her 2nd today. Really excited to go visit her for the first time in over a year. She'll finally be able to meet great-grandbaby #9!

MIL and FIL in Carolina Beach have had trouble. MIL finally schedule for 1st next Friday but FIL not able to get scheduled yet.
Daviewolf83
Updated vaccination news for the US and NC (Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker):

US Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 70,048,408
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 53,797,178 <== 11.8% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 76.8%

NC Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 2,067,792
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 1,63,488 <== 11.2% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 78.9% <== currently rank 7th in US for available doses administered

US Vaccines Administered (Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker):

NC Vaccines Administered (Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker):

Hospitalizations continue to fall an are now below 2,000 patients currently admitted. If the percent positive continues to hold in the 5-6% range currently being seen from testing, it is likely hospitalizations will fall back to the levels seen in September/early October. Based on the current trajectory, we should achieve this by mid-March. The peak corresponds to the peak in deaths, on January 7. Both have been falling, since this timeframe.

RunsWithWolves26
Davie, how far away are we from seeing a slight hicup in shots in arms before the J&J vaccine starts really ramping up? Basically, I'm wondering if we will see the shots drop below a million per day and how long it will take to get back to the 1.5 million we are currently seeing now.
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Davie, how far away are we from seeing a slight hicup in shots in arms before the J&J vaccine starts really ramping up? Basically, I'm wondering if we will see the shots drop below a million per day and how long it will take to get back to the 1.5 million we are currently seeing now.
Based on current supply projections, we should be able to stay around 1.5M doses administered per day, before the J&J supply kicks in early March. This week, we may see a drop driven more directly by the weather. The winter snow and ice storms are affecting about 1/3 of the population right now. This has the chance to disrupt administering of the vaccine in many states for a few days (more than supply), but it should be able to pick back up next week and I think a lot of places will be able to get back on track.
statefan91
Are there estimates of how many additional shots per day will be coming out if J&J gets approved? Could that push us up to an average of 2MM/day by mid-March?
statefan91
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrendscases

7 Day case average below 100k for the first time since early November, from what I can tell
RunsWithWolves26
And that response is exactly why I ask you the question. You deserve an award for all the information you provide. Thanks again.
RunsWithWolves26
I looked at that last night and showed my wife, a canadian citizen. She was thrilled to see that and then said in her words "why can't canada get their crap together like what is now happening here?" I just told her it is what it is and I was thankful she was here because she wouldn't get a shot in canada until sometime around end of august or september
PackPA2015
Our county has given 5,496 first doses and 2,054 second doses as of 2/12. Population of 67K. So, 8.2% of the county having 1 dose so far and 3.06% have completed the vaccine series. Percentage of COVID positives (rolling 14 day average) remain around 10-11%. The number of active cases has gone up slightly to currently 300. Still averaging 1-2 reported deaths per day (may be lagging updates from the state).
PackPA2015
WPNfamily said:

Covid is really strange!

Yep, as Davie was getting into, the virus can directly attack brain and other nervous tissue. It can cause permanent damage or the fleeting symptoms like loss of taste or smell. I would think your paresthesias (pins and needles or skin crawling sensation) would be due to this same phenomenon with the virus attacking the nerves providing sensation to the skin directly.

WPNfamily
PackPA2015 said:

WPNfamily said:

Covid is really strange!

Yep, as Davie was getting into, the virus can directly attack brain and other nervous tissue. It can cause permanent damage or the fleeting symptoms like loss of taste or smell. I would think your paresthesias (pins and needles or skin crawling sensation) would be due to this same phenomenon with the virus attacking the nerves providing sensation to the skin directly.

Thanks for the info. The crawling sensation only lasted about 1/2 of a day. Smell and taste I look forward to returning
Daviewolf83
Nationally, the 7-day average for Coronavirus-like Illness (CLI) as a percentage of ER visits is now down to below 4% and it is also below the peak from last Summer.

WPNfamily
OK covid is the most strange thing ever....

Yesterday was day 6 since I have tested positive. I have been feeling super low energy and just down right sick for days. Yesterday at 5pm I told my wife I may have her take me to the hospital because I has having trouble catching my breath just sitting on the couch. We decided I would go get in bed and see how I felt in few minutes, so I walked up the stairs (slowly) and crashed in bed. Next thing I know it is 7am this morning my wife wakes me up and asks me how I am feeling. I told her I was not sure. So I hopped in the shower and in the shower I noticed I had lots of energy. I started brushing my teeth and I could taste the tooth paste. I looked at my tongue and it was no longer white. I got dressed and went down stairs and my wife says, "wow you look great what happened". That's when I realized I felt 100% normal for the first time in 6 days. I have no fever, no fatigue, breathing jut fine, and tons of energy. I have worked all day and have not missed a beat. Is it possible to just feel great at one time instead of being a long drawn out process? I am so confused, but damn it feels good to be alive again!

Still can't taste much or small anything.
First Page Last Page
Page 224 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.