Coronavirus

1,981,005 Views | 19755 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by Werewolf
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
WPNfamily said:

Daviewolf83 said:

WPNfamily said:

Corona update from my house- Day 6

My 7 year old seems to be back to 100%. She was down for about 16 hours with fever and vomiting. As fast as the symptoms came in for her they left. She is bouncing around the house like normal now.

My 11 year old was the first to test positive. She has been working out via her zoom classes for gymnastics since they are closed to the this outbreak from the gym. She said she gets a little winded which is unusual for her. She always finishes first in her conditioning at the gym. This is is a machine like her mom. Over all her case is super mild. She has never had a fever either.

My hotass wife is 38, since we met 16 years ago she works out six days a week, eats embarrassingly clean, and everything is all natural for her. I get annoyed at times at how much she takes care of her body. She has had the worst of Corona so far. Day 4 of fever, aches, chills, and the worst is her resting heart rate will run up to the 120's. Then if she gets up and walks her heart rate goes bananas. She hasn't had any issue breathing or anything like that. But I have never seen her on the couch for one day before, much less 4 days now.

I still haven't had any symptoms. Overall I am in the worst shape of the entire family. I have ridden my peloton every day this week and PR'd twice this week. So I am just sitting here waiting in the symptoms to hit. I will say Corona is crazy. It is very random and the severity of symptoms is totally random. I just hope my wife heals up quick. It sucks seeing her like this.

WPNfamily - Thanks for the update and sorry to hear your wife is doing so poorly, but happy your kids are doing well.

It is very strange why it hits some groups of people so much harder than others and as such, it will be a subject of study for years to come. Hopefully, your wife is able to begin improving soon and has no long-lasting effects from the virus. She definitely needs to be very careful and if her condition worsens, please do not hesitate in contacting her physician. Given what you are reporting, I would definitely have her contact her physician after she is well and maybe do some additional testing before resuming her exercise program.

I am just coming at this from the position of a parent of a college athlete. Leading up the to the football season, we had several calls with the team physician and he took us through the risks to the heart and the testing they would do to every athlete who may become infected with Covid-19. He said, while the risk of myocarditist is very low, it is definitely a risk with any respiratory infection (including the common flu). For the athletes, they all go through a battery of tests, starting with a simple blood test to check for the presence of troponin which is a protein that can indicate inflammation in the heart.

Hey David, 100% great advice. My wife has her masters in clinical exercise physiology and worked in pulmonary/cardiac rehab until we decided one of us needed to be able spend more time with the girls and stay home. She has said everyday for the past 3-4 days she needs to go see her pcp before getting back into her cardio and lifting regimen. She has been reading everything medial related she can find over the last 4-5 days on the mio cardial somethingoranother. Honestly I have been a little nervous working out this week and keep thinking I should probably cut back the intensity some.

Fever fever just broke and she is sweating like Ted bundy at church right now. She is celebrating like the Panthers won the super bowl. It's kinda funny right now.

This is a great community. James and Steve have done an excellent job with this place. Glad to have some smart people around here. Through out the pandemic I have taken what I have read from PA, Mormad, PackPA, Wayland, Daviewolf, and a few others as being what's really going on around us. You guys have been very helpful in making decisions for my family and my business. Thanks for all the data and solid science you have shared.
Thanks. Appreciate all the folks that add so much great info to the board,
RunsWithWolves26
Just found out my uncle tested positive today. He and my dad were together Friday and so now daddy is in quarantine because of my uncle testing positive today. Daddy says he ain't feeling anything symptom wise so the hope is my uncle wasn't shedding Friday or daddy just got lucky and didn't catch it. He is quarantining until Monday. This virus can go **** itself.
statefan91
When did your Uncle start having symptoms / get tested? The common guidance seems to be that someone can be infectious ~48 hours before symptoms / positive test. If your Uncle got a rapid positive test yesterday and didn't really have any symptoms, it's possible your Dad is in the clear. Quarantining until Monday is definitely better safe than sorry though so probably the best option.
RunsWithWolves26
statefan91 said:

When did your Uncle start having symptoms / get tested? The common guidance seems to be that someone can be infectious ~48 hours before symptoms / positive test. If your Uncle got a rapid positive test yesterday and didn't really have any symptoms, it's possible your Dad is in the clear. Quarantining until Monday is definitely better safe than sorry though so probably the best option.

He told daddy Friday he felt like he may be getting bronchitis. Of course, daddy made sure to wear his mask. He started feeling bad yesterday and got tested today and it was positive. Hoping daddy is ok because he did have his mask on but I guess we have to wait for 10 days to be sure. Right now, daddy is at day 5 of being potentially exposed.
wilmwolf
My mom was able to sign both herself and my grandmother up for their two vaccine doses through Walgreens today. She had already created an account for my grandmother and apparently it was pretty easy to sign up. Their shots are at different in town Walgreens locations on Friday, but at the end of the day that's a minor inconvenience.
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

statefan91 said:

He told daddy Friday he felt like he may be getting bronchitis. Of course, daddy made sure to wear his mask. He started feeling bad yesterday and got tested today and it was positive. Hoping daddy is ok because he did have his mask on but I guess we have to wait for 10 days to be sure. Right now, daddy is at day 5 of being potentially exposed.
Hopefully your uncle recovers quickly and your dad does not get it. Hopefully, his use of a mask protected him from catching the virus. Based on the current CDC guidelines, if he quarantines for 7 days and does not show any symptoms, he should be okay. This is the protocol my son's team started using in December - all based on the revised CDC guidelines. Before the guidelines changed, they had to quarantine for 14 days.

Due to contact tracing, my son had to quarantine for 14 days and go through 3 days of conditioning before rejoining the team for Fall camp in August. In December, he and some of his teammates came in contact with an infected person, but my son and his other teammates had masks on. In this case, they only had to quarantine for only 7 days and they were able to rejoin the team a week before the bowl game.
Daviewolf83
wilmwolf80 said:

My mom was able to sign both herself and my grandmother up for their two vaccine doses through Walgreens today. She had already created an account for my grandmother and apparently it was pretty easy to sign up. Their shots are at different in town Walgreens locations on Friday, but at the end of the day that's a minor inconvenience.
I am happy to hear your mom and grandmother were able to register and sign up. I tried to setup a Walgreens account for my father and it failed. I am not sure why and finding someone to fix the issue is very hard. I am going to try it again tonight.
wilmwolf
That sucks. I hope they get it straightened out for you. I had my mom setup a throw away gmail addy to use for my grandmother's account since my mom already had one of her own. She booked grandmother's first to make sure she got it and then was able to go into her account and get her own shot set up.
Daviewolf83
wilmwolf80 said:

That sucks. I hope they get it straightened out for you. I had my mom setup a throw away gmail addy to use for my grandmother's account since my mom already had one of her own. She booked grandmother's first to make sure she got it and then was able to go into her account and get her own shot set up.
Good news. I was able to complete the account setup tonight and get my dad registered for his vaccines at Walgreens. He will get his first vaccine dose on Friday and the next one in a month. The site allowed me to schedule both appointments at the same time.
wilmwolf
Good deal! Yeah, I was pleased that they could schedule both at the same time, definitely makes it easier.
Daviewolf83
Updated vaccination news for the US and NC and it continues to be good news for both (Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker):

US Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 62,908,653
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 44,413,509 <== 10.2% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 70.6%

NC Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 1,722,715
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 1,436,745 <== 10.5% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 83.4% <== currently rank 6th in US for available doses administered

As you can see from the latest update, NC has made tremendous progress in using the available vaccines. Where NC still lags is the vaccination of LTC facilities. Currently, only 35.8% of the doses allocated to the LTC facilities have been used. For LTC, 104K first doses have been administered and 36K of the people in these facilities have completed all doses.

The graphs below show how both the US and NC are tracking compared to the 100M doses in 100 days (NC it is 3.2M doses in 100 days) and 150M doses in 100 days (NC it is 4.8M doses in 100 days). As you can see, NC is on track to meet the more aggressive target. For the US, we are on track to beat the 100M doses goal, but there is some work to do to reach the 150M doses target.

Assuming the J&J vaccine is approved at the end of this month, the US should have 300M doses available by June. This should be enough to vaccinate anyone who wants to receive the vaccine. Given these numbers, I really do not understand why some experts (including Dr. Fauci) continue to say it will be late Fall to early Winter before we can start to relax restrictions. He says it will take this long to vaccinate 75% to 80% of the population to reach herd immunity, but this seems to discount those people (approximately 10% to 15% of the population) who have already had the virus and developed natural immunity. I have also seen some people starting to move the goal posts by saying we can not begin to lift restrictions until the virus is eradicated.

As far as overall infection trends are concerned, we continue to see rapid declines in the number of people hospitalized. Going forward, this should be the measure of how we are using, instead of a focus on cases. Even with the vaccine, people will continue to test positive. The vaccine does not prevent infection in many people, it only lowers the severity of illness. The key is to get the severity down enough that it lowers the impact on hospitals and lowers the deaths. This should be enough to allow us to resume more normal activities.

US Vaccination Tracking (Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker):

NC Vaccination Tracking (Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker):

NC Hospitalizations and % of Active Cases Hospitalized:

PackPA2015
Some pretty cool news here:

State Alumnus develops first at-home rapid COVID test.

#ThinkandDo
statefan91
Europe has done a much better job of messaging in that the vaccine is combined with getting back to normal. The US really needs to think about it like that and not give too much airtime to those saying it will be Fall and Winter.

TheStorm
^ Huh? Not sure how you are coming up with that takeaway, but I guess I should be used to your wrong stances by now...
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

Some pretty cool news here:

State Alumnus develops first at-home rapid COVID test.

#ThinkandDo
Very cool article. Thanks for posting. Reminded me of some of the cool things I got to do when I was an undergrad engineering student at State.
statefan91
Really like seeing this:

Wayland
statefan91

I think it's important to get Educators vaccinated, but I'm not sure I agree with holding off on other essential workers until March. Grocery store workers, restaurant workers, others have been working on site for the entirety of the pandemic and should be given equal footing as teachers. First responders seems sort of like a no brainer that should've been covered by HCWs in Phase 1...

Quote:

Other frontline workers in North Carolina's Group 3 will be eligible for the vaccine on March 10, Cooper said. That is a broad category that includes everyone who physically has to go to work. In addition to teachers, the third group includes first responders, farm workers, restaurant employees and grocery store workers, among other categories.
Civilized
This downward dive in cases is crazy.

And by "crazy" I mean "AWESOME."

What's driving it? It aint the weather, that's for damnsure. It's been a cold, wet winter. We're not back outside.

And the dip seems too early to be the vaccine taking hold, although I'm sure that's playing a part.
Daviewolf83
Civilized said:

This downward dive in cases is crazy.

And by "crazy" I mean "AWESOME."

What's driving it? It aint the weather, that's for damnsure. It's been a cold, wet winter. We're not back outside.

And the dip seems too early to be the vaccine taking hold, although I'm sure that's playing a part.
As I theorized last week, I think it is due to viral burnout. This is true of the yearly flu and for many other viruses. As I suggested in my theory, the people who were not being as careful about following protocols are the ones who helped to propel the increase and those who were following guidelines made it harder on the virus to grow. As the virus is now running out of people who are "easier" to infect, it is starting to burnout. This is why it is following the same seasonal pattern as the yearly flu. This is why I said that people who are following the guidelines, should continue to do so for a couple more months. I still think it is too soon for the vaccines to be having an impact, even though over 10% of the population of NC have now received at least one dose.

The increases in cases (something I care less about going forward for reasons I suggested in a post earlier today) and hospitalizations definitely began as the weather began to turn colder and people headed indoors. It aligns very closely to the yearly flu curves, both in the timing of the increases and timing of decreases. As Wayland pointed out, the increases started sooner than it did NC for those states where it turned cold earlier in the Fall. Of course, the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays helped to keep the growth alive, as they do every year with the flu.

I believe the worst of this latest peak is over and we should see cases and hospitalizations continue to fall back down to the early October levels (based on where % positive rates are now heading). As people continue to get vaccinated, we will see even more downward pressure on cases and more importantly, on hospitalizations and deaths. As I mentioned earlier, the vaccines do more to decrease hospitalizations than they will cases and they should also greatly reduce deaths.

I think we should forget about complete eradication and I am frustrated that some people are now "moving the goal posts" to make this the new goal before relaxing restrictions. I believe we will be dealing with the coronavirus for years to come and might possibly have to have yearly vaccinations, just like we do for yearly influenza. At some point (not sure what it is yet - maybe the same levels as the yearly flu), we are going to get to a level of hospitalizations and deaths where we open everything back up.
RunsWithWolves26
You sir can post anything you want to, say anything you want to, act anyway you want to as long as you keep posting wonderful charts like this!
WPNfamily
It got me! Took a week of living in the same house to finally get symptoms. Cough, fever, aches, chills. Damnit rona I thought I had some crazy immune system!
wilmwolf
Hate to hear it. Get well soon!
Daviewolf83
WPNfamily said:

It got me! Took a week of living in the same house to finally get symptoms. Cough, fever, aches, chills. Damnit rona I thought I had some crazy immune system!
Please take care of yourself and I hope you recover quickly.
Tobaccoroadsportscafe
WPNfamily said:

Keep us updated buddy, hope you start feeling better soon.
Mormad
WPNfamily said:

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon, bud.
WPNfamily
I feel pretty good this morning. Much better than yesterday. No fever this morning and I have pissed from my butt in 14 hours now! I had a headache all night, or more like head pressure. My head feels bloated.

We have a sleep number bed. My wife just told me it tells me my respiratory rate and heart rate. Winning! I had no clue. Last night was very restless in general for sleep. My resting heart rate at night is 59 and last night was 80. My respiratory rate was 15 breaths per minute which is right in my average.

So the really weird thing is I have a elevated sense of awareness and focus. I was fighting some spreadsheets yesterday and last night I kept waking up thinking about them and specifically how to fix them. I haven't felt that level of clarity and focus in years. Could be coincidental but worth noting. Anyone else get this?

Thanks for the well wishes guys.
Tobaccoroadsportscafe
WPNfamily said:

I feel pretty good this morning. Much better than yesterday. No fever this morning and I have pissed from my butt in 14 hours now! I had a headache all night, or more like head pressure. My head feels bloated.

We have a sleep number bed. My wife just told me it tells me my respiratory rate and heart rate. Winning! I had no clue. Last night was very restless in general for sleep. My resting heart rate at night is 59 and last night was 80. My respiratory rate was 15 breaths per minute which is right in my average.

So the really weird thing is I have a elevated sense of awareness and focus. I was fighting some spreadsheets yesterday and last night I kept waking up thinking about them and specifically how to fix them. I haven't felt that level of clarity and focus in years. Could be coincidental but worth noting. Anyone else get this?

The good news is I felt like diarrhea was the beginning of the end for me.. started feeling better after it started. The worse part for me was the shortness of breath for about a week after my other symptoms stopped. I didn't really have shortness of breath while I was feeling sick, and my oxygen levels were always good. For some reason though I felt shortness of breath for a while after (my doctor thinks it was a combination of having a head cold and anxiety).
PackPA2015
WPNfamily said:

Be careful, some people may try to get the 'rona on purpose now !

Glad you are feeling better!
wilmwolf
The crazy part of the Rona is the variance in the symptoms. My Uncle got it and said his back hurt and he was really tired, and I'm like, hell, that's me every day.
ncsualum05
wilmwolf80 said:

The crazy part of the Rona is the variance in the symptoms. My Uncle got it and said his back hurt and he was really tired, and I'm like, hell, that's me every day.

WPNfamily
Tobaccoroadsportscafe said:

WPNfamily said:

The good news is I felt like diarrhea was the beginning of the end for me.. started feeling better after it started. The worse part for me was the shortness of breath for about a week after my other symptoms stopped. I didn't really have shortness of breath while I was feeling sick, and my oxygen levels were always good. For some reason though I felt shortness of breath for a while after (my doctor thinks it was a combination of having a head cold and anxiety).
I did celebrate this morning when I **** a real turd after yesterday! I can for sure see how anxiety can exacerbate the shortness of breath feeling. I am not an anxious person but my spidey senses are on tilt right now. Maybe that is what anxiety is!?
WPNfamily
Welcome to 40+ right!
statefan91
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-trends

Vaccination 7 day trend at nearly 1.45MM vaccines daily
Daviewolf83
statefan91 said:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-trends

Vaccination 7 day trend at nearly 1.45MM vaccines daily
Using the Bloomberg tracker, I have the last 7-day average at 1.57M doses administered per day. The CDC data has some data lags, which is why I use Bloomberg. Bloomberg has definitely done a better job of updating data on a more timely basis and several people tracking this data are using the Bloomberg data set.

Either way, we are making good progress and if you look at week-over-week trends, we are seeing increases in the number vaccinated. This indicates both supply is improving and the states and localities are getting better at getting shots in arms. By my current projections, the US is tracking to approximately 125M to 130M doses administered by the end of April. I do think we will hit a bit of a wall for the next couple of weeks, but supply should improve by mid-March as the J&J supply ramps up (assuming it is approved by the FDA at the end of February). I still think we will begin seeing this supply start to ship the first week of March.
First Page Last Page
Page 223 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.