Coronavirus

2,001,400 Views | 19843 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Werewolf
statefan91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As annoying as the press conferences are, I'm not sure there's anything more at this point from a carrot perspective to incentivize people to wear masks. I'm not sure how he would win people over if they're not already on board with wearing a mask.
wilmwolf
Is that guests in restaurants or in private dwellings?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Ncstatefan01
Both.

wilmwolf80 said:

Wayland
wilmwolf80 said:

The actively eating and drinking is from the restaurant section.

Although not specifically addressed or not addressed per the order you should be wearing a mask any time indoors or outdoors (within 6ft) of anyone not from your home.
Ncstatefan01
How would you wear a mask when actively eating or drinking?

packgrad said:

When not actively eating or drinking.

Lol. Science.
wilmwolf
Wayland said:

wilmwolf80 said:

The actively eating and drinking is from the restaurant section.

Although not specifically addressed or not addressed per the order you should be wearing a mask any time indoors or outdoors (within 6ft) of anyone not from your home.

Hmmm. Good luck with that I guess.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
ncsualum05
Heil Cooper!
packgrad
Did he post the alert numbers to call if you see your neighbors sitting with their family without masks on?
Ripper
Hah, they are still going with the ruse that mask wearing and mask enforcement prevents or reduces covid-19. Pretty funny at this stage. They must really abhor science.
PossumJenkins
I'm confused. Like truly confused. I travel a lot for work..and have been back to my regular travel schedule since about June. Fly out of Charlotte and just in the last week and a half I've been to Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas and Las Vegas. Everywhere I've been people are wearing masks. Everywhere. I mean i haven't seen a single person not wearing one. For multiple governors to come out and say "wear your mask more, this will fix it"...isn't based in reality. If numbers are rising, then the masks don't seem to be working...cause everywhere I've been people have them on.
Pacfanweb
Ripper said:

Hah, they are still going with the ruse that mask wearing and mask enforcement prevents or reduces covid-19. Pretty funny at this stage. They must really abhor science.
The real problem is with people that think it DOESN'T help.

It's not a cure-all. But there's not really legitimate science that says it doesn't help, and there's FAR more science that says it helps vs any that says otherwise.

People need to get their heads out of their rear ends and do the right thing. It's not going to kill you to wear a mask, it's not a plot to take away your freedom, there's no secret Soros council that's behind this.....they are simply trying to help get rid of this virus and slow it down.

PossumJenkins
I disagree. There are actually far more studies that simply show it doesn't do anything. The only studies that say it does have come post covid.

But that's not the point. The point is these politicians are saying more masking, longer masking, etc will STOP the virus. See Robert Redfield saying he'd rather have a mask than a vaccine. No more proof than that needed. And everywhere i go people are wearing masks...and it's only ramped up lately. The overwhelming majority of people are wearing masks.
Ripper
Pacfanweb said:

Ripper said:

It's not a cure-all. But there's not really legitimate science that says it doesn't help, and there's FAR more science that says it helps vs any that says otherwise.

People need to get their heads out of their rear ends and do the right thing. It's not going to kill you to wear a mask, it's not a plot to take away your freedom, there's no secret Soros council that's behind this.....they are simply trying to help get rid of this virus and slow it down.

I go by the science, not the freedom aspect. There is zero proof that masks (not including N-95's worn properly) do anything positive for Covid-19. What limited proof there is shows masks do nothing or are a net negative. If masks worked, we wouldn't be having a second wave right now.
packgrad
Nm
Civilized
PossumJenkins said:

I disagree. There are actually far more studies that simply show it doesn't do anything. The only studies that say it does have come post covid.

But that's not the point. The point is these politicians are saying more masking, longer masking, etc will STOP the virus. See Robert Redfield saying he'd rather have a mask than a vaccine. No more proof than that needed. And everywhere i go people are wearing masks...and it's only ramped up lately. The overwhelming majority of people are wearing masks.

Really?

How many studies say it helps?

How many studies say it does nothing?
PossumJenkins
There's a number of studies...one sticks out from '06 but I'm not gonna bother with the time to grab them if one could even find them today with the censorship currently. Or perhaps the Danish study the just came out as a true, control group, peer reviewed.

But more specifically. I'm old enough to remember when the Surgeon General said if on tv. Or it was still listed on the CDC website. Or when even your high priest Fauci said it. Do you think those guys were spouting that info on TV because previous to Covid there had been a mass of studies that said masks are effective?

I wear a mask. I think it does little to nothing. But i do it. Like the OVERWHELMING majority of Americans do. Yet cases are stilllllll climbing. That's all the study i need.

We all know where you stand bro. I'm not a covid denier. One can have rational thoughts both ways and believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. But keep doin you.
statefan91
PossumJenkins said:

There's a number of studies...one sticks out from '06 but I'm not gonna bother with the time to grab them if one could even find them today with the censorship currently. Or perhaps the Danish study the just came out as a true, control group, peer reviewed.

But more specifically. I'm old enough to remember when the Surgeon General said if on tv. Or it was still listed on the CDC website. Or when even your high priest Fauci said it. Do you think those guys were spouting that info on TV because previous to Covid there had been a mass of studies that said masks are effective?

I wear a mask. I think it does little to nothing. But i do it. Like the OVERWHELMING majority of Americans do. Yet cases are stilllllll climbing. That's all the study i need.

We all know where you stand bro. I'm not a covid denier. One can have rational thoughts both ways and believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. But keep doin you.

Masks won't definitely stop it, but may help minimize transmission. There is significant community spread because there are still either a lot of people that are joining in big crowds, working in jobs that don't allow for social distancing, aren't wearing masks, etc.

The prevailing assumption is that it would be much worse if the limited protocols were taking weren't in place.
Pacfanweb
Ripper said:

Pacfanweb said:

Ripper said:

I go by the science, not the freedom aspect. There is zero proof that masks (not including N-95's worn properly) do anything positive for Covid-19. What limited proof there is shows masks do nothing or are a net negative. If masks worked, we wouldn't be having a second wave right now.
This is just patently false. You cannot have searched for studies on this topic and make that statement.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

"Multi-layer cloth masks block release of exhaled respiratory particles into the environment,3-6 along with the microorganisms these particles carry.7,8 Cloth masks not only effectively block most large droplets (i.e., 20-30 microns and larger)9 but they can also block the exhalation of fine droplets and particles (also often referred to as aerosols) smaller than 10 microns ;3,5 which increase in number with the volume of speech10-12 and specific types of phonation.13 Multi-layer cloth masks can both block up to 50-70% of these fine droplets and particles3,14 and limit the forward spread of those that are not captured.5,6,15,16 Upwards of 80% blockage has been achieved in human experiments that have measured blocking of all respiratory droplets,4 with cloth masks in some studies performing on par with surgical masks as barriers for source control.3,9,14"

"Filtration for Personal Protection

Studies demonstrate that cloth mask materials can also reduce wearers' exposure to infectious droplets through filtration, including filtration of fine droplets and particles less than 10 microns. The relative filtration effectiveness of various masks has varied widely across studies, in large part due to variation in experimental design and particle sizes analyzed. Multiple layers of cloth with higher thread counts have demonstrated superior performance compared to single layers of cloth with lower thread counts, in some cases filtering nearly 50% of fine particles less than 1 micron"

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

"But health experts say the evidence is clear that masks can help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and that the more people wearing masks, the better."

"One category of evidence comes from laboratory studies of respiratory droplets and the ability of various masks to block them. An experiment using high-speed video found that hundreds of droplets ranging from 20 to 500 micrometers were generated when saying a simple phrase, but that nearly all these droplets were blocked when the mouth was covered by a damp washcloth. Another study of people who had influenza or the common cold found that wearing a surgical mask significantly reduced the amount of these respiratory viruses emitted in droplets and aerosols."

https://kutv.com/news/local/study-despite-conflicting-reports-cloth-masks-do-help-stop-spread-of-covid-19

Ripper
Pacfanweb said:

Ripper said:

Pacfanweb said:

Ripper said:

This is just patently false. You cannot have searched for studies on this topic and make that statement.

Name one randomized controlled study that shows that cloth masks prevent or reduce the spread of Covid-19. You can't. Because it doesn't exist. I've read many of the little "studies". None are directly tied to Covid. They are all theoretical. Guesses. Assumptions. Likelihoods. Suppositions dealing with particle transfer. Show me the real proof in a real study and I'll believe it.
packgrad
Which of the studies show that people not wearing masks are why we have spread now?
packgrad
statefan91 said:

PossumJenkins said:

Masks won't definitely stop it, but may help minimize transmission. There is significant community spread because there are still either a lot of people that are joining in big crowds, working in jobs that don't allow for social distancing, aren't wearing masks, etc.

The prevailing assumption is that it would be much worse if the limited protocols were taking weren't in place.

That's not the assumption in Florida.
Pacfanweb
Ripper said:

Pacfanweb said:

Ripper said:

Pacfanweb said:

Ripper said:

Name one randomized controlled study that shows that cloth masks prevent or reduce the spread of Covid-19. You can't. Because it doesn't exist. I've read many of the little "studies". None are directly tied to Covid. They are all theoretical. Guesses. Assumptions. Likelihoods. Suppositions dealing with particle transfer. Show me the real proof in a real study and I'll believe it.

I literally just gave you a CDC link that has loads of study links at the end of it that does what you asked for.

If that's not real proof, I guess the Earth is flat, too.

So stick your fingers in your ears and say "la la la I'm not listening" and remain ignorant.

Or man up, read the damn OVERWHELMING evidence that they help, and come back here and admit you're wrong. Which you are.
statefan91
I don't know what this means. Do they think things would be better in Florida if there were no masks / restrictions?
Pacfanweb
packgrad said:

Which of the studies show that people not wearing masks are why we have spread now?

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6947e2.htm

After implementation of mask mandates in 24 Kansas counties, the increasing trend in COVID-19 incidence reversed. Although rates were considerably higher in mandated counties than in nonmandated counties by the executive order, rates in mandated counties declined markedly after July 3, compared with those in nonmandated counties. Kansas counties that had mask mandates in place appear to have mitigated the transmission of COVID-19, whereas counties that did not have mask mandates continued to experience increases in cases

I could literally post things like this and my previous post for a few hours tonight if I wanted to.

The evidence is out there, masks help. Period, end of story, there's really not any credible evidence to the contrary.

Are they a cure-all? Of course not. But the evidence that they help is simply not arguable at this point, other than by people who simply don't want to wear them and cherry pick "evidence" to help make their case.

Anyone with a fair-minded approach to studying this can come up with no other conclusion than that they help.

The degree to which they help might be somewhat debatable, but not the fact that they DO help.
packgrad
statefan91 said:

I don't know what this means. Do they think things would be better in Florida if there were no masks / restrictions?

What restrictions in Florida? DeSantis has no statewide mandates.
packgrad
Pacfanweb said:

packgrad said:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6947e2.htm

After implementation of mask mandates in 24 Kansas counties, the increasing trend in COVID-19 incidence reversed. Although rates were considerably higher in mandated counties than in nonmandated counties by the executive order, rates in mandated counties declined markedly after July 3, compared with those in nonmandated counties. Kansas counties that had mask mandates in place appear to have mitigated the transmission of COVID-19, whereas counties that did not have mask mandates continued to experience increases in cases

I could literally post things like this and my previous post for a few hours tonight if I wanted to.

The evidence is out there, masks help. Period, end of story, there's really not any credible evidence to the contrary.

Are they a cure-all? Of course not. But the evidence that they help is simply not arguable at this point, other than by people who simply don't want to wear them and cherry pick "evidence" to help make their case.

Anyone with a fair-minded approach to studying this can come up with no other conclusion than that they help.

The degree to which they help might be somewhat debatable, but not the fact that they DO help.

That study doesn't show mask wearing is why we have an uptick now. Where are you getting your information that the uptick is because of masks? Where's the science that says the minute percentage of people not wearing masks are why we have spread now?
PossumJenkins
https://sentinelksmo.org/more-deception-kdhe-hid-data-to-justify-mask-mandate/

Two sides to every story
PossumJenkins
I'm old enough to remember when the surgeon general said wearing a mask might actually increase your chances of getting covid. He must not have read all those studies or have a fair minded approach.
Ripper
Pacfanweb said:

Ripper said:

Pacfanweb said:

Ripper said:

Pacfanweb said:

Ripper said:

I literally just gave you a CDC link that has loads of study links at the end of it that does what you asked for.

If that's not real proof, I guess the Earth is flat, too.

So stick your fingers in your ears and say "la la la I'm not listening" and remain ignorant.

Or man up, read the damn OVERWHELMING evidence that they help, and come back here and admit you're wrong. Which you are.
You seem a little testy. None of the little lab tests dealing with droplets or the statistical analyses you provided, deals directly with Covid-19. It's a novel (new) virus. One would think that if Government's are asking or requiring people to wear a mask (probably cloth, probably dirty), the least they could do is PROVE that it is beneficial. Real world proof. Not measuring particles in a lab. We are coming up on a year with this virus and not one reputable U.S. based medical agency has done a real randomized controlled study measuring the efficacy of masks on Covid.
Pacfanweb
Droplets from you talking or sneezing or coughing are droplets from you coughing/sneezing/talking.
They are the same, or so ridiculously close in nature that any difference is irrelevant.

If a study was done for droplets from the common cold and found the masks helped reduce
transmission from that, then it also means it helps with droplets containing Covid.

That much is so basic that it shouldn't even need to be talked about, much less studied.

So yeah, testy because idiots keep holding out for ridiculous amounts of evidence that they'll simply ignore or move the goalposts on yet again, and the virus will stay around longer and we'll need this
stupid masks longer.
Pacfanweb
PossumJenkins said:

Two sides to every story
A reporter with degrees in history and economics.

Sounds legit, let's listen to his cherry-picked data instead of people in the actual field of medicine
Pacfanweb
Here you go, this is from one of the links in my first CDC article...you know, the one I said had lots of links at the bottom? The one where you didn't bother to read them, you just keep spouting that "there's not been a study for Covid and masks"

Tested specifically for Covid:

"Here, we developed an airborne transmission simulator of infectious SARS-CoV-2-containing droplets/aerosols produced by human respiration and coughs and assessed the transmissibility of the infectious droplets/aerosols and the ability of various types of face masks to block the transmission. We found that cotton masks, surgical masks, and N95 masks all have a protective effect with respect to the transmission of infective droplets/aerosols of SARS-CoV-2 and that the protective efficiency was higher when masks were worn by a virus spreader."

From another link on that page:

"The SARS-CoV-2 virus is primarily transmitted through virus-laden fluid particles ejected from the mouth of infected people. In some countries, the public has been asked to use face covers to mitigate the risk of virus transmission - yet, their outward effectiveness is not ascertained. We used a Background Oriented Schlieren technique to investigate the air flow ejected by a person while quietly and heavily breathing, while coughing, and with different face covers. We found that all face covers without an outlet valve reduce the front flow through jet by more than 90 per cent. "

There's 45 links there for various studies.

Don't tell me there hasn't been some research done on this, and then start saying I'm "testy" when you're the one who hasn't done any research, or bothered to read a huge amount of research I provided that's all in one place. You asked for proof, I'd already given it and you didn't bother to look at it, I reminded you, now doing so again.
PossumJenkins
Pacfanweb said:

PossumJenkins said:

Two sides to every story
A reporter with degrees in history and economics.

Sounds legit, let's listen to his cherry-picked data instead of people in the actual field of medicine

You mean like the cherry picked data in the link to the article about the Kansas county study where the health dept hid data to make it look they way they wanted it to look? Similar to how Cooper and Cohen always had a case run up just before every announcement as clearly evidenced by Davie and Wayland outstanding data provided here. All I'm tryin to say is if you don't think things are being manipulated to fit the narrative the author is attempting to create you aren't watching.

Look man...again. I wear a mask. And i actually assume they probably do something though again, i doubt very much. All I'm saying is the "experts" have been wrong repeatedly. And very wrong. Only listening to the people in the actual field of medicine as you say, got us into lockdowns with no regard to how it would affect every other area of life.

It's a novel virus...I'm not even mad a people that got it wrong necessarily. But you then don't get to 1. Pretend like you didn't get it wrong and 2. Have us blindly follow your further advice. We have a right and a duty to question it. It's nuanced. It's not one thing. The answer isn't simply "more mask!"
Civilized
PossumJenkins said:

You mean this Danish study?

Lead Researcher Behind Controversial Danish Study Says You Should Still Wear A Mask

The one that just relied on how many people they told to wear masks, and not how many people actually did wear masks?

The study, authored by a group of cardiologists in Denmark, studied about 6,000 participants in Denmark, half of whom were told to wear masks and half of whom were not.

The authors found that 42 of the participants who were told to wear masks contracted Covid-19, while 53 of the participants in the control group got the disease, a difference that they said was not statistically significant.

The study did not investigate whether masks prevented those infected with Covid-19 from infecting other people.

However, experts swiftly pointed out that the study has many limitations, including low compliance (many people did not complete the study, and a high percentage of people who were supposed to wear masks did not) and that it took place in a population where spread of Covid-19 was already low.

This study had obvious limitations and yet it still observed masks correlating with a lower rate of infection.

Also, there's a huge difference between not proving efficacy and proving no efficacy.

No one thinks masks are a cure-all, or that they literally do no good. Even in this limited Danish study held up as the gold standard that "they don't work'" their use was associated with a lower rate of infection.

So if all that's being debated is whether they cut down on transmission by 3% or 13% or 33% or 53%, what does it matter? They help, we just can't quantify exactly how much.
waynecountywolf
PossumJenkins said:

I'm confused. Like truly confused. I travel a lot for work..and have been back to my regular travel schedule since about June. Fly out of Charlotte and just in the last week and a half I've been to Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas and Las Vegas. Everywhere I've been people are wearing masks. Everywhere. I mean i haven't seen a single person not wearing one. For multiple governors to come out and say "wear your mask more, this will fix it"...isn't based in reality. If numbers are rising, then the masks don't seem to be working...cause everywhere I've been people have them on.
Get out of the airports and hotels and travel I-95 east in NC- you wont see as many masks.
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
First Page Last Page
Page 182 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.